Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-02-2007, 12:32 AM   #351
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime View Post
OU was lucky this game was close...and I think boise st would have beaten florida tonight too. not that beating florida means you're a great team, but...

Serious question. Do you have a brother named Nickel?
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:36 AM   #352
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen View Post
the hook and ladder? are you serious? mike tice, for one, with randy moss as the hook. now thats gutsy.

call me crazy, but thats just what they did. and call me crazy, but i still only see two. if my math is right, to fit with the 1:5 ratio, you'd need about 4,398 more.

Just keep making predictions. We'll start today. Lets see how many you get right from here on out.

I don't really feel like digging through all your moronic posts. I could go back to the Big12 title game in 2001 and find about 10 or 15 idiotic comments and wrong predictions there, but it's late and I've gotta go to work tomorrow.

I wish to God the ignore feature could filter out idiocy. On occasion you make a really solid point that few people will get, even those who know their stuff. Then you follow it up with some asinine comment about a Texas player walking on water or some OU all-american who couldn't play in pee-wee ball (but yet somehow puts up all world numbers at OU) and screw it up. I should have known when you were commenting about an OU game you'd be in idiot mode. Let's put AP in the overrated hall of fame. He'll join the myriad of OU pro bowlers you've bashed over the years.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:37 AM   #353
Subby
lolzcat

Has to be in the all time top 5...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:47 AM   #354
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

myriad? is there more than one other? i can only think of roy williams, and i loved him in college.

Quote:
even those who know their stuff

me . . . huckleberry . . . sorry, im having trouble coming up with any more. maybe redkinglion, but he ended his bid tonight with his hook and lateral performance.

quick edit, i think peterson makes a pro bowl at some point.

Last edited by IMetTrentGreen : 01-02-2007 at 12:49 AM.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:48 AM   #355
st.cronin
General Manager

... right up there with the 2006 Capital One Bowl.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:48 AM   #356
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Who else loves these caveman Geico commercials? I can't get enough of them

Not.Cool.

I'll have the roast duck, with the mango salsa.

*stares in disgust at sign while walking in opposite direction of moving walkway*

I laugh my ass off every time one of the commercials pops up. Drives the woman crazy, cause I'm cracking up at something I've seen about a hundred times. I swear I would buy a DVD of Geico cavemen commercials and watch it nonstop.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:50 AM   #357
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:

me . . . huckleberry . . . sorry, im having trouble coming up with any more. maybe redkinglion, but he ended his bid tonight with his hook and lateral performance.

do you really believe anything you type?
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:51 AM   #358
st.cronin
General Manager

IMetTrentGreen: I am an enormous sports fan. I have my teams that I root for, and most of them have rivals. In some cases, those rivals are more succesful than the teams I root for. But you will never see me bash a team I root against, apart from some good natured tweaking, because I don't want to be a classless jerk.

For a long time, I thought you were an Indiana fan with an irrational hatred of Oklahoma.

knives out
Old 01-02-2007, 12:52 AM   #359
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

i believe that this is one of the worst places to come to talk about football, yes, unless you want it from a fan's perspective.

fofc knows exactly jack squat about what is happening on the field.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:52 AM   #360
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

indiana?

found one more, bill callahan tried it against michigan in the alamo bowl.

Last edited by IMetTrentGreen : 01-02-2007 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:54 AM   #361
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
i believe that this is one of the worst places to come to talk about football, yes, unless you want it from a fan's perspective.

fofc knows exactly jack squat about what is happening on the field.

I believe that you don't actually know as much as you think you do.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:57 AM   #362
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

cuckoo said that, too. my theory is that fofc is one big hive mind. outside of a few outliers, you all do seem to have a lot in common.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:59 AM   #363
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
cuckoo said that, too. my theory is that fofc is one big hive mind. outside of a few outliers, you all do seem to have a lot in common.

Wow, it's like you're trying to be as stupid as possible.

knives out
Old 01-02-2007, 12:59 AM   #364
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

IMetTrentGreen: Usually when one finds themselves in a hole, their first impulse is not to continue digging.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:00 AM   #365
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Let's see. You keep trying to name coaches that have called the hook and ladder in an attempt to prove it wasn't a gutsy call.

How many of those coaches called it on 4th and 18 with the biggest game of their teams history on the line?

My theory on you is that you have one thick skull and anyone that disagrees with you must not know anything.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:02 AM   #366
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
indiana?

found one more, bill callahan tried it against michigan in the alamo bowl.

Wait a minute hear. First you say that lots of coaches try it but then you can only remember two and have only been able to google up 7 other examples in the history of football. That's weaker than american beer but somehow you know what you're talking about and no one else here does?

Stange and I don't have a dog in this fight. I just hate such obvious stupidity going unchallenged.

Last edited by Axxon : 01-02-2007 at 01:03 AM.
Axxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:03 AM   #367
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

that was without a doubt one of the greatest coaching performances I have ever seen.

and Stoops knows it.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:03 AM   #368
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

so now i can only look at the biggest game in school history for the hook and ladder? dang, thats going to make it hard.

what would you say the biggest game in florida international football is, anyway?

see, its a fairly common play in that situation, because its usually the only chance a team has to get 18 yards when 7-8 guys are all there waiting to jump any route that gets that far.

it would've been gutsier just to run a normal play.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:05 AM   #369
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Quote:
Wait a minute hear. First you say that lots of coaches try it but then you can only remember two and have only been able to google up 7 other examples in the history of football. That's weaker than american beer but somehow you know what you're talking about and no one else here does?

i said i can only remember it working twice. i've seen it plenty of times. its hard to find documented instances, though, since almsot nobody would mention a failure in the media.

i guess your newpaper would be really, really long.

and those google results came from exactly 2 pages of results. and i didn't even post them all. there were a lot more in high school. gutsy!

Last edited by IMetTrentGreen : 01-02-2007 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:05 AM   #370
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
17 rushes, 46 yards.

best. running back. ever.

also, patrick is averaging 5.7 a carry. thats struggling?

worst. fofc poster. ever

I know I'm repeating myself, but it's even more true now.

knives out
Old 01-02-2007, 01:06 AM   #371
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

If it was fairly common you'd be able to find more than 7 examples.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:08 AM   #372
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

i found many more.

edit, lets see if this works: http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/ope...s?mswmext=.asx

actually, further research leads me to believe that might have ust been a fumble, but i'll leave it up because it's awesome.

Last edited by IMetTrentGreen : 01-02-2007 at 01:10 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:10 AM   #373
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
i said i can only remember it working twice. i've seen it plenty of times. its hard to find documented instances, though, since almsot nobody would mention a failure in the media.

i guess your newpaper would be really, really long.

and those google results came from exactly 2 pages of results. and i didn't even post them all. there were a lot more in high school. gutsy!

Or, more likely, it's hard to find documented instances because you were talking out of your ass and are to stubborn to admit it. Much, much more likely.

If something is common but has only succeeded 9 times above the high school level then you'd think it's very gutsy to try it against such horrific odds so your statement that it isn't gutsy fails even if your pathetic attempts at justification is correct.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:12 AM   #374
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
i found many more.

edit, lets see if this works: http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/ope...s?mswmext=.asx

actually, further research leads me to believe that might have ust been a fumble, but i'll leave it up because it's awesome.

So that play counts as many more. Gotcha.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:16 AM   #375
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

so how many do you want? 15? 100? because if i did that, suddenly you need 16 or 101.

the hook and lateral is a common play when a normal play has no chance to succeed. im not making this up. in fact, a bunch of times you'll see one run that transforms into one of those wild, 7 lateral plays.

do i need a mathmatical proof for this?
Old 01-02-2007, 01:22 AM   #376
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
so how many do you want? 15? 100? because if i did that, suddenly you need 16 or 101.

the hook and lateral is a common play when a normal play has no chance to succeed. im not making this up. in fact, a bunch of times you'll see one run that transforms into one of those wild, 7 lateral plays.

do i need a mathmatical proof for this?

Hey, if you're happy with 9 examples in the history of the sport makes you a genius then knock yourself out. The rest of us realize you're full of shit on this one.

"We try a play that only succeeded a handful of times because a normal play has no chance to succeed."

"But, this play doesn't really have a chance to succeed either. Shouldn't we, you know, try something else then?"

"Shut up. I'm the genius here."

You are a very funny guy IMetTrentGreen.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:25 AM   #377
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

speechless.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:26 AM   #378
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I would be too if I was as self-absorbed as you.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:26 AM   #379
molson
General Manager

Such a bizarre and pointless debate.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:30 AM   #380
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Quote:
I would be too if I was as self-absorbed as you.

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH.

MAKE SENSE!

and molson, finally a comment i can agree with.

great win bsu. great calls chris petersen (maybe i should spell his name right! lol). sucks for you bobby. maybe next year, but probably not.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:30 AM   #381
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
speechless.

Unfortunately, about 10 posts too late.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:35 AM   #382
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

you got that right.

now im going to go to bed, which is totally common for me.

im not goign to have to get a newspaper clipping for each time i've ever done that, am i? because how else will i prove to all these football coaching accountants and computer dorks that i've ever slept?
Old 01-02-2007, 01:37 AM   #383
biological warrior
High School Varsity

Anyone find the torrent of the game yet?
biological warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:40 AM   #384
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
you got that right.

now im going to go to bed, which is totally common for me.

im not goign to have to get a newspaper clipping for each time i've ever done that, am i? because how else will i prove to all these football coaching accountants and computer dorks that i've ever slept?

Doubt you'd have to because really, no one really gives a shit whether you sleep or not frankly and we all know sleeping is pretty common.

Anyway, good night. Hope the hangover isn't too bad in the morning.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:47 AM   #385
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Damn man.. doesn't anyone enjoy anything just for the sake of enjoying it any more?

Some of the most exciting 20 minutes of football that I've seen in a loooong time.

Oh.. and for some reason, I laugh at the caveman commercial every time too...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:59 AM   #386
timmynausea
College Starter

The decision to go for two, along with the playcall, reminded me a lot of WVU's fake punt last year at the end of the Sugar Bowl. In both cases I was half impressed with the creativity and how well prepared the team looked for the situation and half impressed with the sheer balls.

Last edited by timmynausea : 01-02-2007 at 02:09 AM.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:12 AM   #387
timmynausea
College Starter

Also of the 4 bowl games I have actually watched start to finish, 3 involved teams overcoming 18 point deficits to take the lead. Oklahoma ultimately lost, but West Virginia in the Gator and Georgia in the Peach both pulled it out.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:05 AM   #388
WVUFAN
College Starter

My head hurts after reading the "argument" over whether or not running a trick play on a 4th and 18 with 27 seconds left in the biggest game in the schools history is a gutsy call or not. I may not have a clue what goes on in the football field, but even I know the answer to that.

Regardless whether one thinks Oklahoma is the "worst BSC team" in the bowls or not, regardless of how you feel about Boise State, it should be stated that they in every single way deserved to be in a BCS Bowl.

It's a shame that they don't have the same kind of chance to play for the national championship because of the conference they play in, while Notre Dame, who doesn't have the courage to JOIN a conference gets into the BCS based off their name.

And please, don't start with the "they didn't play anyone" argument ... the bottom line is they beat EVERY TEAM on their schedule. Wisconsin didn't play many top ranked teams, but they deserved to play in a BCS more than Notre Dame.

There needs to be a playoff -- Boise State beat Oklahoma. If that's not PROOF of a need for a playoff, I don't know what can be.

Last edited by WVUFAN : 01-02-2007 at 03:06 AM.
WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:49 AM   #389
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
The decision to go for two, along with the playcall, reminded me a lot of WVU's fake punt last year at the end of the Sugar Bowl. In both cases I was half impressed with the creativity and how well prepared the team looked for the situation and half impressed with the sheer balls.

Heh... that reminds me of the debate we had on these boards back then of whether or not that was a genius playcall or something anyone would have called in that situation (and no, I'm not making this up).
Old 01-02-2007, 05:37 AM   #390
wade moore
lolzcat

Despite the many idiotic statements IMTG has made on this board, I don't think he's very off-base on the comment about the hook and ladder.

It's a relatively common play in desperate situations. The few times a team absolutely has to get 15-30 yards or the game is over, it's not all that uncommon. In fact, I watched a game this week (I can't remember who and whether it was the NFL or NCAA) where the play was run as time expired (and pitched to a linemen nonetheless at some point) where it didn't work.

That being said, it was still incredible that Boise St. pulled it off. The thing is, if it fails like it does SO many other times we're not talking about how "gutsy" the play is. It was the right call at the right time with great execution, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:12 AM   #391
miami_fan
Coordinator

Nothing like reading one of these threads the morning after the game. Every one! The Sooners lost the game about 5 times and then BSU lost it five times. BSU's coach gets all the credit in the world not only for the playcall, but for having his kids prepared to be able to execute those plays flawlessly.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:37 AM   #392
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Just bought the Fiesta Bowl Season Pass, so when the game's available, it will automatically download

Where did you get this and how much? I definitely have to get a copy of this.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:11 AM   #393
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
myriad? is there more than one other? i can only think of roy williams, and i loved him in college.

quick edit, i think peterson makes a pro bowl at some point.

Yeah, my mistake, you are right. Hundreds of regular posters here. Some of the biggest football fans on the planet. And you and Huck are the only two that understand the game and are smart enough to comment on it.

You think Peterson makes a pro bowl at some point? Gee, amazing prediction there Football God. If he can stay healthy, he's a dead ringer for Eric Dickerson. Barring a MAJOR injury early, he'll make multiple pro bowls.

What you wrote above is the dumbest thing by far to ever hit the board. Your arrogance and idiocy do a disservice to the rest of the Texas fans on this board.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:22 AM   #394
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

Who is redkinglion?
Old 01-02-2007, 08:38 AM   #395
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
And please, don't start with the "they didn't play anyone" argument ... the bottom line is they beat EVERY TEAM on their schedule. Wisconsin didn't play many top ranked teams, but they deserved to play in a BCS more than Notre Dame.

So much truth here. Great win for BSU.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:47 AM   #396
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I don't have much issue with IMTG's opinion of the Hook and ladder play, what I think is ridiculous though is why he spends so much time here on a board that he evidentially doesn't like, trying to convince people of his point whom he finds inferior to him in football knowledge.

My opinion is if he doesn't like the place, then he should just leave. I understand what he is saying about 4th and 18 being a desperation situation in which you often find trick type plays being called more often as the traditional run/pass plays won't likely get you the yardage you need. Just the way he conveys his point here was annoying enough to me to where I felt the urge to want to argue with him when I didn't even have anything to argue about.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:52 AM   #397
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I don't have much issue with IMTG's opinion of the Hook and ladder play, what I think is ridiculous though is why he spends so much time here on a board that he evidentially doesn't like, trying to convince people of his point whom he finds inferior to him in football knowledge.

My opinion is if he doesn't like the place, then he should just leave. I understand what he is saying about 4th and 18 being a desperation situation in which you often find trick type plays being called more often as the traditional run/pass plays won't likely get you the yardage you need. Just the way he conveys his point here was annoying enough to me to where I felt the urge to want to argue with him when I didn't even have anything to argue about.

What's funny is that nobody actually cares what he thinks. We just get antagonized by his condescending attitude. If it weren't for that, nobody would even notice him.

knives out
Old 01-02-2007, 08:55 AM   #398
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
What's funny is that nobody actually cares what he thinks. We just get antagonized by his condescending attitude. If it weren't for that, nobody would even notice him.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:19 AM   #399
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Definitly in my top 5 greatest games of all time. WOW.... Some of the BEST playcalling and execution I've ever witnessed in a game.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:44 AM   #400
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Definitly in my top 5 greatest games of all time. WOW.... Some of the BEST playcalling and execution I've ever witnessed in a game.

I've been going back and forth on this...

When the trick play before the hook and ladder happened someone in this thread even was like "stop with the trick plays, run your offense"..

This seems to be one of those situations where he looks like a genius because of perfect execution. Any flaws in execution (like your Coverted WR/RB/whatever throwing a bad pass) and you all of a sudden look like a complete moron..

It's just an interesting case here because it worked so many times in a row... about 5 or 6 plays that could turn him from "genius" to "idiot" if the execution isn't there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote