Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-17-2008, 07:39 AM   #351
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
I picked up the PSP version and I like it a lot. I have no idea how to pitch, however. Can someone explain to me when I hit the X button? At the top of the arc and then again?

Also, any batting tips would be appreciated.

It's somewhat like a golf swing meter. You press at the top based on how hard you want to throw, but overthrowing the ball can hurt the accuracy of the throw. When it comes back down, you want to hit the X button again at the white line for optimal accuracy. Deviation on either side of the line will cause you to release too early or to late.

On batting, I like to look in a certain location for a fastball early in the count (cheat your stick to one part of the zone). If the pitch isn't where you're looking, don't swing. The nice thing about MLB '08 is that you can actually draw walks, so no need to hack at everything.

If you're having trouble seeing pitches (i.e. you can't tell if the low pitches are balls or strikes), go ahead and use the 'guess pitch' mode to guess low. That way, if the ball is thrown low, you'll see where the ball is going to pass through the zone (assuming that you have the 'lock cursor' option on). As the count progresses, you'll have to guess location left and just try to stay alive.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:44 AM   #352
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFan10 View Post
Okay, so I just picked this game up this morning before work and when I got home and loaded it up it's been sitting at the "retrieving license agreement" screen the whole time.

Granted when I shut off the PlayStation 3 and booted it up with my ethernet cable removed from the back of the console, the game loaded up just fine. But that means I cannot access the roster download nor the sliders that people are putting up.

Is it just me, or does everybody else have this problem? I sure hope it's not just me right now. I've been trying to connect since 12:30 a.m EST.

It's a connection issue.

1. It's possible they may be doing maintenance on their servers. Might want to try again during the day.
2. It's also possible that you might not have a good connection (on your end or Sony's end).

The reason it hangs up is that it goes out to check for updates every time it starts up. If it's not able to connect, it will sometimes hang up. Eventually, it will return a message stating that it can't connect and you should be able to play without online components.

FYI......make sure to download the latest firmware as it does have several online fixes that may also help your situation.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:59 AM   #353
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
I picked up the PSP version and I like it a lot. I have no idea how to pitch, however. Can someone explain to me when I hit the X button? At the top of the arc and then again?

Also, any batting tips would be appreciated.

First you select the pitch, then hit X, the bar will move to the red area, hit X again to stop the moving bar, with that you have set speed/break, the more into the red area, the more speed and break you add to the ball. Then the bar will start to move back, and you need to hit X again just in the middle of the blue area. The closer to the middle of the blue area, the more control you will have over the pitch location. It's basicaly a 3 clicks method like golf games. As your pitcher gains or lose confidence, the blue control aera will get bigger/smaller. Also in clutch situations, like with bases loaded, the bar will move way faster to simulate the pressure you are feeling.

Note about pitching in the show, pay atention to the break marker as it will tell you where the ball will end after the break.

About hitting, it's all about patience, a good idea is usually to sit on the first pitch or to start to swing after your first strike, and this comes from me that have zero patience, i'm all or nothing so i get a good amount of hits but strikeout a ton. I need to apply what i just told you

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:01 AM   #354
Icy
Pro Starter

Mizzou beat me to it

Another hint for batting, turn ON all the hitting aids, like strike zone, hot/cold zones, etc, it will help a lot when starting to play. If you have a big problem identifying the pitches speed/break, go to the sliders and lower the pitch speed to what you feel comfortable with.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:03 AM   #355
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
It's a connection issue.

1. It's possible they may be doing maintenance on their servers. Might want to try again during the day.
2. It's also possible that you might not have a good connection (on your end or Sony's end).

The reason it hangs up is that it goes out to check for updates every time it starts up. If it's not able to connect, it will sometimes hang up. Eventually, it will return a message stating that it can't connect and you should be able to play without online components.

FYI......make sure to download the latest firmware as it does have several online fixes that may also help your situation.

Thanks for that. A couple things however ...

1. I have already downloaded the firmware updates, so that can't be the problem.

2. If it's indeed SportsConnect then somehow people are still managing to log in and play anyway because it says there are three hundred or so people online as of right now (9:00 a.m EST) and 22 games being played.

3. If the issue IS on my end, I don't understand why. The same ethernet cord connects to the PlayStation Network just fine when I'm not playing MLB 08, and has worked just fine with my Xbox 360 for months now.

I'm still trying as of right now to retrieve this license agreement and it still isn't working. However like I said before, I'm logged into the PlayStation Network just fine, not a problem.

I just don't get it.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:09 AM   #356
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Thanks for that. A couple things however ...

1. I have already downloaded the firmware updates, so that can't be the problem.

2. If it's indeed SportsConnect then somehow people are still managing to log in and play anyway because it says there are three hundred or so people online as of right now (9:00 a.m EST) and 22 games being played.

3. If the issue IS on my end, I don't understand why. The same ethernet cord connects to the PlayStation Network just fine when I'm not playing MLB 08, and has worked just fine with my Xbox 360 for months now.

I'm still trying as of right now to retrieve this license agreement and it still isn't working. However like I said before, I'm logged into the PlayStation Network just fine, not a problem.

I just don't get it.

Yeah, I hesistate to pull out the 'well, it works for me!' response because I know it's frustrating and it doesn't do you any good.

My only other thought would be any firewall settings. I leave my firewall off to avoid any conflicts with the console/PC online games. I'd suggest turning off any router firewalls if you have them currently enabled. That may be the issue given that your PSN login works fine but the game is having issues. The game signs into a separate game server from the PSN login.

Also, the MLB 08 forums have some discussion on this issue. Might want to peek over there and see if anything listed over there might help.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-17-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:54 AM   #357
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Thanks Mizzou and Icy. I'll try those tips when I get home.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:09 AM   #358
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Angry Great ...

Quote:
Yeah, I hesistate to pull out the 'well, it works for me!' response because I know it's frustrating and it doesn't do you any good.

My only other thought would be any firewall settings. I leave my firewall off to avoid any conflicts with the console/PC online games. I'd suggest turning off any router firewalls if you have them currently enabled. That may be the issue given that your PSN login works fine but the game is having issues. The game signs into a separate game server from the PSN login.

Also, the MLB 08 forums have some discussion on this issue. Might want to peek over there and see if anything listed over there might help.

Thanks man, I appreciate your help ...

But that's certainly bad news if it's working for you. This game is pretty much the only reason I own a PlayStation 3 (besides Blu-Ray movies) and come to find out I can't even get past the first screen unless I'm not connected to the internet, so no updated rosters or anything. That's almost like having to log out of your VIP Profile in MLB 2K8 just to play the game without frame rate issues.

Weak.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:25 AM   #359
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
But that's certainly bad news if it's working for you. This game is pretty much the only reason I own a PlayStation 3 (besides Blu-Ray movies) and come to find out I can't even get past the first screen unless I'm not connected to the internet, so no updated rosters or anything.

Give Operation Sports a try as well. Some people over there that had the same problem were able to resolve their issues.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #360
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Is there any way somebody can send me their downloaded rosters over the PlayStation Network? If somebody could do that for me, then I could careless about ever connecting to the internet again.

Is that possible?
Old 03-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #361
Icy
Pro Starter

We can send you the rosters by email, then you put them in any USB device and transfer them back to the PS3. In fact that is how you will do it once somebody releases custom roster sets. Unlike the 360, with the Ps3 you can easily transfer files from your pc to your ps3 using an USB memory stick for example.

Last edited by Icy : 03-17-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:35 AM   #362
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
We can send you the rosters by email, then you put them in any USB device and transfer them back to the PS3. In fact that is how you will do it once somebody releases custom roster sets. unlike the 360, with the Ps3 you can easily transfer files from your pc to your ps3 using an USB memory stick for example.

Is there anyone currently working on filling out the Minor League rosters?
Old 03-17-2008, 11:49 AM   #363
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Quote:
We can send you the rosters by email, then you put them in any USB device and transfer them back to the PS3. In fact that is how you will do it once somebody releases custom roster sets. Unlike the 360, with the Ps3 you can easily transfer files from your pc to your ps3 using an USB memory stick for example.

Yes that would be excellent does anybody have a roster set that they might be able to send me? Anything updated will do for now, because these rosters are very out of date. I'm sure there's one on SportsConnect but I'm having a hard time um ... you know ... CONNECTING to SportsConnect.

If anybody is willing to do this for me, shoot me a PM and I'll send my e-mail address.

Thanks.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:53 AM   #364
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yes that would be excellent does anybody have a roster set that they might be able to send me? Anything updated will do for now, because these rosters are very out of date. I'm sure there's one on SportsConnect but I'm having a hard time um ... you know ... CONNECTING to SportsConnect.

If anybody is willing to do this for me, shoot me a PM and I'll send my e-mail address.

Thanks.

PM sent.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #365
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Is there anyone currently working on filling out the Minor League rosters?

Yes, same guys than past year (Knight and Jim at OPS), they are working on a full roster set incluing full minors and tweaked attributes.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #366
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Yes, same guys than past year (Knight and Jim at OPS), they are working on a full roster set incluing full minors and tweaked attributes.

Interesting. I'm not sure I'd restart my RTTS career just to incorporate the rosters, but I'll definitely grab those rosters when I start a new career.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:33 PM   #367
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:

Thanks.

Roster sent by email, let me know if you have any problem. also if you keep not beng able to connect in the future, let me know i'll send a more updated roster set once the season starts. Anyway i'm sure you will be able to fix your issue, must be something related to your router firewall as Mizzou said, you need to know which ports to open. Maybe you can phone Sony customer support about it.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #368
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Anyway i'm sure you will be able to fix your issue, must be something related to your router firewall as Mizzou said, you need to know which ports to open. Maybe you can phone Sony customer support about it.

I had to do that with Warhawk (open a port). Called Sony up and they walked me through the adjustment on the router. Haven't had any problems since then.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:44 PM   #369
rowech
Pro Starter

RA -- can you tell me the franchise/season options on PSP?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #370
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I haven't dabbled in the season options that much, but am playing RTTS. The play options are:

Exhibition
Manager Mode
Career (RTTS)
Season
Home Run Derby
King of the Diamond

Not sure about what you're looking for in Season.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:54 PM   #371
rowech
Pro Starter

Can you give me an idea how many seasons you can run the season mode? Is there a fantasy draft option with it?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:18 PM   #372
darkenigma510
n00b

Quote:
It's a connection issue.

Yeah I have this issue too but my connection is relatively strong. I am wondering if its an issue with my router?
darkenigma510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:19 PM   #373
darkenigma510
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Can you give me an idea how many seasons you can run the season mode? Is there a fantasy draft option with it?

On PSP I think its ten. On PS3, I believe it is only one but franchise mode should be able to run for at least ten I believe.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:23 PM   #374
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkenigma510 View Post
On PSP I think its ten. On PS3, I believe it is only one but franchise mode should be able to run for at least ten I believe.

I thought Season mode was just...well...season mode. There is no fantasy draft option.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:47 PM   #375
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkenigma510 View Post
Yeah I have this issue too but my connection is relatively strong. I am wondering if its an issue with my router?

It's definitely a router issue. I connected on mine tonight in less than 2 seconds. I'd check the website or call support.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:12 PM   #376
darkenigma510
n00b

Quote:
I thought Season mode was just...well...season mode. There is no fantasy draft option.

On the PSP there is no franchise mode (at least not in 07)....so the season mode was a stripped down franchise mode. On the PSP version, it goes more than one year. On the PS3, it only goes one year.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #377
Icy
Pro Starter

Lionsfan10, therer is a new roster set. If you still have problems and want it i can email it to you, also can send you the slider set i'm using right now (nemesis HOF sliders from OPS forums). Btw, did you manage to put the other one i sent you into the game?

Old 03-18-2008, 07:42 AM   #378
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Mizzou B-ball and Icy, thanks for the tips. I'm doing a lot better now and actually have struck a few people out.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:14 AM   #379
TroyF
Coordinator

What about RTTS mode? I created myself as an 18 year old LF. Am I going to be forced to retire at 28?
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:38 AM   #380
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
What about RTTS mode? I created myself as an 18 year old LF. Am I going to be forced to retire at 28?

I can't imagine. I'm sure last year on the PS2 version I played into my 30's with a couple RTTS guys and that would be a huge hit if they changed that.

Then again I thought the franchise mode in the non-PSP versions were 20 or 25 years. I have no idea though, never got anywhere near that far in a franchise, but thought I read it somewhere.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:43 AM   #381
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

There's a lot of bad information being thrown about here.

-In RTTS on PS3/PS2/PSP, you play until your player retires. There's no limit on the number of seasons other than your player just getting old.

-In Franchise mode on PS3/PS2, season limit is 30 years. PSP version of the game does not have a franchise mode (single season only).
Old 03-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #382
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Quote:
Lionsfan10, therer is a new roster set. If you still have problems and want it i can email it to you, also can send you the slider set i'm using right now (nemesis HOF sliders from OPS forums). Btw, did you manage to put the other one i sent you into the game?

Hey man, definitely send me that roster set when you get a chance. I haven't had a chance to try out the jump drive though because I don't have a jump drive unfortunately.

Send the sliders too if you wouldn't mind.

It's sad that I have to go through this ...
Old 03-18-2008, 10:04 AM   #383
Calis
College Starter

Annoying thing I've ran into a couple times already. I know they worked on the promotions/demotions from last year but I just had a case where I spent all season with the AA team, had a great season and we made the playoffs. After the last season of the game I get called up to the AAA team...whose season is over. So I missed the playoffs, and didn't play another game.

I do tend to agree with what was mentioned earlier about how boring baserunning can be. Last year I'd end up just stealing every time I got on base and either getting thrown out or something, but now you actually lose points for that. This is something I really wish you could fast forward, because it is horrible boring sitting there for these epic 10+ pitch at bats. It's the one thing that's really making me lose interest in playing a non-pitcher.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:54 AM   #384
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
I do tend to agree with what was mentioned earlier about how boring baserunning can be. Last year I'd end up just stealing every time I got on base and either getting thrown out or something, but now you actually lose points for that. This is something I really wish you could fast forward, because it is horrible boring sitting there for these epic 10+ pitch at bats. It's the one thing that's really making me lose interest in playing a non-pitcher.

If waiting is annoying you that much, there is a quick play option in the options menu. Cuts play time in half at a minimum. I prefer to see more of the presentation, but you can finish the games much quicker with quick play turned on.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #385
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
There's a lot of bad information being thrown about here.

-In RTTS on PS3/PS2/PSP, you play until your player retires. There's no limit on the number of seasons other than your player just getting old.

-In Franchise mode on PS3/PS2, season limit is 30 years. PSP version of the game does not have a franchise mode (single season only).

Sorry to contradict you, but in the PSP the season mode is 10 seasons and there is free agency and draft in between. No fantasy draft in the PSP.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:00 PM   #386
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
Annoying thing I've ran into a couple times already. I know they worked on the promotions/demotions from last year but I just had a case where I spent all season with the AA team, had a great season and we made the playoffs. After the last season of the game I get called up to the AAA team...whose season is over. So I missed the playoffs, and didn't play another game.

Agree about baserunning, unless your are a fast player who can steal, it's usually boring. I have an slugger LF and it's a pain to hit a single because that. I'm going to start a new RTTS as fast 2B/SS so i'll have fun stealing. What i do also is to start two RTTS, one as SP and another as fielder, that way i can alternate them if i get bored at one thing.

Last edited by Icy : 03-18-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #387
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Sorry to contradict you, but in the PSP the season mode is 10 seasons and there is free agency and draft in between. No fantasy draft in the PSP.

Thanks for the correction. The info I found was that there wasn't a multi-season mode in PSP. I'll assume that my RTTS info on the PSP was correct (i.e. you play until you retire).
Old 03-18-2008, 03:28 PM   #388
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

I can take that to the bank then?
Old 03-18-2008, 03:53 PM   #389
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
I can take that to the bank then?

Well i have not played it a lot as i play mainly RTTS, but the consensus in every forum is:

PSP season mode: 10 seasons max, no fantasy draft, no full minors but a 15 players reserve squad, trades included, free agency included, draft included, spring training included. It's basically a franchise mode without full minors and without the owner mode options (hot dog sales, etc).

I can say that all it is true but the max number of seasons as i have never played up to 10 so i don't know if that is the max or not, but for sure there is more than 1 season and the off season in between.

I could test it setting up a season mode with the minimum of games (14), and then see how much seasons i can run, but it would take me some time to prove. I'm going to do it now.

Last edited by Icy : 03-18-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:22 PM   #390
Icy
Pro Starter

Ok, after the first test season, i received a mesage about my salary budget going down by a 2% because my bad performance, then proceed to the offseason.

The offseason has the following options:

See Retirements
See HOF inductees
See Player progression
Make Trades
Resign players
Advance to amateur draft

For what i see, contracts have also options for the team and players.

As i said, it has all the franchise options from the PS3 but no full minors and no franchise owner options, but you have a salary budget that depends from your performance.

Sorry but i'm not going to sim over 10 seasons as i can't do it all auto, i need to draft manually etc and it's a pain to do it 10 times. But as you can see it has more than 1 season and offseason.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #391
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ok, after the first test season, i received a mesage about my salary budget going down by a 2% because my bad performance, then proceed to the offseason.

The offseason has the following options:

See Retirements
See HOF inductees
See Player progression
Make Trades
Resign players
Advance to amateur draft

For what i see, contracts have also options for the team and players.

As i said, it has all the franchise options from the PS3 but no full minors and no franchise owner options, but you have a salary budget that depends from your performance.

Sorry but i'm not going to sim over 10 seasons as i can't do it all auto, i need to draft manually etc and it's a pain to do it 10 times. But as you can see it has more than 1 season and offseason.

Thanks for what you did....I appreciate it! Now if I can bring myself to pull the trigger on it and buy a PSP. I was ready to until the kid at gamestop said he loved the show and bought a PS3 just for that game.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #392
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Thanks for what you did....I appreciate it! Now if I can bring myself to pull the trigger on it and buy a PSP. I was ready to until the kid at gamestop said he loved the show and bought a PS3 just for that game.

Different beasts. I love the show in the PS3, incredible graphics and gameplay but... i'm 32 years old, with a wife, a 5 months old baby and a job so... i can't sit and play the PS3 as much as i would like. On the other hand, I play with the PSP daily, in the WC (great place), sitting with my wife while she watches reality shows, when traveling, etc. So at the end, i play more hours in the PSP than in the PS3. Of course when i play in the PS3 i'm in heaven, but it's mainly on weekends.

So it all depends on your situation, if you can play for hours, get the PS3, you will love it. If you are a busy person with limited playing time o travel a lot etc, get the PSP, you will love it too

Last edited by Icy : 03-18-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:19 PM   #393
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Different beasts. I love the show in the PS3, incredible graphics and gameplay but... i'm 32 years old, with a wife, a 5 months old baby and a job so... i can't sit and play the PS3 as much as i would like. On the other hand, I play with the PSP daily, in the WC (great place), sitting with my wife while she watches reality shows, when traveling, etc. So at the end, i play more hours in the PSP than in the PS3. Of course when i play in the PS3 i'm in heaven, but it's mainly on weekends.

So it all depends on your situation, if you can play for hours, get the PS3, you will love it. If you are a busy person with limited playing time o travel a lot etc, get the PSP, you will love it too

Your situation is almost identical minus the kid. I'll be 32 in August, my wife watches so much tv that I don't care about that I'm usually with me and my hobbies. Perhaps the PSP is the way to go. I have a 360 already which makes me think even more that PSP is the way to go.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:57 AM   #394
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Well, just an update for those who care ... Sony has officially fixed the "retrieve license agreement" issue which wasn't allowing me to log into SportsConnect to download roster updates and what not. So I'm officially "online" with MLB 08.

I just wanted to personally thank Icy for being so helpful what with sending me the rosters through e-mail and everything, he didn't have to go out of his way to do it, but he did and that was awesome, thanks man!
Old 03-19-2008, 06:22 AM   #395
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
If waiting is annoying you that much, there is a quick play option in the options menu. Cuts play time in half at a minimum. I prefer to see more of the presentation, but you can finish the games much quicker with quick play turned on.

I'm sorry, but that's a horrible solution and it doesn't even fix the issue people are complaining about anyway. All going to quick mode does is wipe out things you could have hit the x button to bypass anyway. In doing so, you wipe out all of the good things about the presentation you like.

It also doesn't really cut down on the time that people are talking about here. A 10 pitch at bat while you are standing on second base is just as long and just as boring in quick play as regular play.

With a big lead at this point I just get myself picked off intentionally or run to third when I have no chance of making it. Anything to avoid 3 straight 10 pitch at bats while standing on 2B.

This is a terrific game marred by some horrific design choices. The makers of the game say this was pulled because of all the new point bonuses/deductions, but the fact is if you don't steal bases, there are no bonuses/deductions for smart/stupid baserunning mistakes. I keep running on an infield pop up with one out? No deduction. I get a great jump on a hit ball and score from 1B on a double to left? No bonus. What the hell is the point?

Like I said above, I don't see anywhere in the manual where Sony said I would have to be a speedy CF to enjoy the RTTS mode. I am having fun with it, but everytime I end up with one of those long 7 minute standing on 1B sessions, I start fuming.

I'm sorry, the designers badly missed the boat on this one. This is probably the single worst design decision on any game in a long time. Thier reasons for pulling a solid feature are idiotic and short sighted.

Let me reiterate: I'm still playing the game. It's enjoyable. It's also frustrating at times and giving fixes that really don't help a bit and miss the entire frustration of those of us who hate this isn't all that helpful.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:39 AM   #396
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I'm sorry, but that's a horrible solution and it doesn't even fix the issue people are complaining about anyway. All going to quick mode does is wipe out things you could have hit the x button to bypass anyway. In doing so, you wipe out all of the good things about the presentation you like.

As I said in my post, I don't disagree with that as I personally prefer the presentation. But it is there for those that want to speed through the play and it does cut down on play time. It also is quicker than the 'X' button fast forward as it cuts out even more than you could manually.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:05 AM   #397
Calis
College Starter

I think "speed through play" is a terribly misleading phrase to use in this situation. Sure it's quicker, but it's still slow as hell in this instance. It's definitely not a solution for this.

I'm still playing RTTS and enjoying it, but one of the things I really like RTTS for and would like it even more is the ability to sit down and play a quick game or two. If I have 10-15 minutes to sit down I'd like to be able to get through a game, but in that 10-15 minutes a majority of the time 8+ minutes of it are spent on the bases doing jack squat. I enjoy playing a slower more plodding guy, but I feel like I'm being forced into making speedsters if I want to get any enjoyment out of half the game, and even then I don't think it'd be that enjoyable.

Sucks, because I love the mode otherwise but man that's testing my patience.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:46 AM   #398
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm wondering how many people are playing RTTS as a pitcher. Seems to be a lot of people playing as a position player. I've honestly never played the mode with a pitcher, but I've heard people say that the closer role is a lot of fun. I'm guessing a Starter career would also be pretty good as you only have to pitch once every 5 days.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:17 AM   #399
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm wondering how many people are playing RTTS as a pitcher. Seems to be a lot of people playing as a position player. I've honestly never played the mode with a pitcher, but I've heard people say that the closer role is a lot of fun. I'm guessing a Starter career would also be pretty good as you only have to pitch once every 5 days.

As i said before, i always start a career as fielder and another as SP and altrnate them as i get tired of one, that way i can have a changc eof pace from time to time.

SP is frustrating at first... but i like it a lot. The main problem is that you lack control over your pitchers, so you end walking a lot of players or leaving balls in the middle. Also when you are pitching in AA level, your fielders are really crap, so everytime you allow a hit, you are guranted a run agasint you. It's both frustrating and exciting as you depend it all from yourself, your team mates in AA rarely will save your ass. the good thing about being a SP or even more a Closer, is that the seasons pass way faster than as fielder, as you don't play in every game.

I always create strike pitchers, with an incredible fastball, but for a change of pace, I started last night an RTTS as SP based on Brandon Webb, groundball pitcher with a sinker, curve and changeup, without any fast pitch. During spring training I'm having way more success than what i thought, with 2 wins and an ERA of under 3, but it's mainly because my team defense, that is a must for a grundball pitcher. Once i get sent to AA i know i'm going to struggle for a while.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:31 AM   #400
Calis
College Starter

Yeah pitchers can be fun, and I think overall a pitching career works better than a position player, but everyone likes to bat.

Last year I played extensively as a closer and had a blast with it. You're obviously thrown into some very tough situations, so there are some great tense situations. I really liked it, and last year you could rack up obscene amount of points as a closer as well so you could be pretty brutal. I played a little bit this year as one and it's much tougher to rack up points, maybe almost too tough at times. You're not guaranteed to play every day and one hit or walk can cause you to get the negative points for a high WHIP since you're only playing for a few outs. I ran into a lot of games where I didn't gain any points. Was still fun though.

I dabbled with a starting pitcher and have had great luck so far. The running fastball is nasty, and using that with a 12-6 curveball I've been steamrolling through his career. Fun times.