Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #351
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I posted this is the other thread but...

Looks like Mike Leach is going to be the new Auburn coach.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:26 PM   #352
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Latest news out of Alabama has Houston Nutt as the front runner to go to Auburn.

Auburn is considering Houston Nutt, but not Leach - Breaking News from The Birmingham News - al.com
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:27 PM   #353
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The SEC with Leach and potentially Petersen .. Talk about some wide open offenses. The Big 12 will have nothing on this potential fire power display in a few years.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:28 PM   #354
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola

Does anyone see Petersen working well at Miss. State if indeed he gets the gig?

I wonder about his ability to recruit vs Saban, Meyer and co. Though I do think his offense will work with the talent at his disposal.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #355
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yes, I think he will do quite well, there.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:35 PM   #356
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If Nutt were to jump to Auburn, I'll go ahead & call it a mistake on his part. Three schools in 13 months within the same division ... that's just bad karma.
Heck, it strikes me odd since Nutt & Tuberville have the same agent, never mind all the bad karma.

Peterson meanwhile would almost have to be out of his mind to take the job at State. Surely he's still got enough cachet to land a better gig.
Here's one bit of linkage on that btw

And if Nutt were to leave then Ole Miss is back looking for a coach again.
Just wildass speculation on my part but ... what about Tommy Bowden?
Old 12-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #357
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Reading the AU fans, it seems that they want Charlie Strong.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:41 PM   #358
GrantDawg

And TT to Nutt is a HUGE downgrade. Auburn hires Nutt, they'll be looking again in three years.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:44 PM   #359
Cuckoo
College Starter

It'll be a big loss for the Big 12 if Mike Leach leaves. He's a heck of a coach. But as an OU fan, it'll be nice to have one less team in the south to worry about. Texas Tech is absolutely stupid for not making a greater effort to keep him.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:46 PM   #360
GrantDawg

BTW, one radio station is reporting Nutt has already told AU no. I'm sure there is a pay-raise in his future, though.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #361
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
Texas Tech is absolutely stupid for not making a greater effort to keep him.

I'm not at all sure that if he leaves it'll have anything to do with a lack of effort on TT's part.

ESPN - Texas Tech Red Raiders' Graham Harrell believes there's 'great chance' Mike Leach will leave
LUBBOCK , Texas -- Even as confirmation came that Mike Leach was no longer seeking the University of Washington coaching job, Texas Tech quarterback Graham Harrell said he thinks there's a "great chance" his coach will leave.

The potential Heisman Trophy finalist said if Leach left it wouldn't be because of Texas Tech.

"I think it has to do more with him wanting a new challenge," Harrell said.

"There's a great chance" he'd leave, Harrell said. "But if he stays he's going to continue to be successful here, and I'd love to see that."
Old 12-05-2008, 01:54 PM   #362
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm not at all sure that if he leaves it'll have anything to do with a lack of effort on TT's part.

ESPN - Texas Tech Red Raiders' Graham Harrell believes there's 'great chance' Mike Leach will leave
LUBBOCK , Texas -- Even as confirmation came that Mike Leach was no longer seeking the University of Washington coaching job, Texas Tech quarterback Graham Harrell said he thinks there's a "great chance" his coach will leave.

The potential Heisman Trophy finalist said if Leach left it wouldn't be because of Texas Tech.

"There's a great chance" he'd leave, Harrell said. "But if he stays he's going to continue to be successful here, and I'd love to see that."

Ok, but if he is not going to Washington, and he is not going to Auburn, where the heck is he going?
Old 12-05-2008, 01:56 PM   #363
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Now Nutt says he's had no contact with Auburn.

Nutt: Talk of Auburn job interest 'just rumors' | clarionledger.com | The Clarion-Ledger

That means there will be a signed contract by the end of the day with the Tigers.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:04 PM   #364
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I guess I have no choice but to hope that the UW made the right choice in passing on Mike Leach for Steve Sarkisian, and that this big gamble will pay off.

I'd be very surprised if it ends up coming out that UW passed on Leach. It was likely the other way around.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #365
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

One of the more interesting names I've seen come up with regard to Auburn is Derek Dooley.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:10 PM   #366
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sounds like Petersen to Miss. State is done, and people are saying Auburn has contacted Spurrier. Doubt anything comes of that however.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:39 PM   #367
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:

Well, Harrell may say that. But I've read that the University refused to extend him or give him a raise prior to this season, despite all of his success and the fact that he's in the last year of his deal. Then, when the other jobs became available after a fantastic TT season, the AD told the press that they were in negotiations. One of Leach's agents said TT never contacted them at all.

Who knows... It just seems to me that Leach transformed that football team and brought a great deal of excitement to Lubbock, and he hasn't seen a great deal of appreciation from the University for that.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:55 PM   #368
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
If Nutt were to jump to Auburn, I'll go ahead & call it a mistake on his part. Three schools in 13 months within the same division ... that's just bad karma.
Heck, it strikes me odd since Nutt & Tuberville have the same agent, never mind all the bad karma.

Not to mention that right now Auburn isn't that much of a better job than Ole Miss, if it is at all with those assholes they have in high places.

If Houston Nutt is talking to Auburn already, that should show the people who like to rush to judgment about the SEC and its fans the type of unstable character Nutt can be.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:58 PM   #369
Tigercat
College Starter

Dola, there is now word that Miles has talked to Greg Robinson about being LSU's DC as well. After the horror that has been the LSU D this year, I wish he would hurry up and announce who he has decided on, the suspense is brutal and we need everything in place ASAP if we play Georgia Tech in the Peach Bowl.

Last edited by Tigercat : 12-05-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:01 PM   #370
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
If Houston Nutt is talking to Auburn already, that should show the people who like to rush to judgment about the SEC and its fans the type of unstable character Nutt can be.

Eh, I don't think I have much of a problem with him talking to them, you almost have to listen to someone with the amount of money involved these days. But I think there'd have to be one hell of an (as yet) unknown situation going on behind the scenes to justify actually jumping.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:05 PM   #371
cartman
Death Herald

Looks like Nutt is just working the system to get a raise at Ole Miss:

Wire: Ole Miss working with Nutt on contract extension - The Auburn Beat - al.com
Old 12-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #372
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Eh, I don't think I have much of a problem with him talking to them, you almost have to listen to someone with the amount of money involved these days. But I think there'd have to be one hell of an (as yet) unknown situation going on behind the scenes to justify actually jumping.

I don't know, I just think its a stupid idea for him personally given all the information he must know about the Auburn job. Now if it was Alabama, sure. If you do well enough at Ole Miss you can get damn near what you would get at Auburn. Along with less pressure and meddling from the higher-ups and boosters.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #373
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Wire: Ole Miss working with Nutt on contract extension - The Auburn Beat - al.com

Ah, well Nutt does have Sexton as an agent. Sexton is famous for pretend shopping his college coach clients around for raises.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:17 PM   #374
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Dola

Does anyone see Petersen working well at Miss. State if indeed he gets the gig?

I wonder about his ability to recruit vs Saban, Meyer and co. Though I do think his offense will work with the talent at his disposal.

Well, there becomes such a mass of top flight coaches that somebody is going to have to lose out. He knows how to build a program, but it's also a matter of how high is MSU's ceiling? Not sure the SEC and certainly MSU would be the place to look at for jobs right now when other conferences are pretty open for chances to succeed, see Kelly at Cincy.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:20 PM   #375
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

NO WAY THAT'S NOT LIKE HIM AT ALL
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:26 PM   #376
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Well, there becomes such a mass of top flight coaches that somebody is going to have to lose out. He knows how to build a program, but it's also a matter of how high is MSU's ceiling? Not sure the SEC and certainly MSU would be the place to look at for jobs right now when other conferences are pretty open for chances to succeed, see Kelly at Cincy.

Maybe MSU isn't the job, but the SEC is a great place. There are two legit top-flight teams this year. This might be the only great entry-point into the conference in the next decade for instant upward-mobility.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:29 PM   #377
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
Maybe MSU isn't the job, but the SEC is a great place. There are two legit top-flight teams this year. This might be the only great entry-point into the conference in the next decade for instant upward-mobility.

South Carolina (The Ol' Ball Coach ain't getting any younger)
Auburn ('cause you know it's gonna happen)
Tennessee (more than likely available again in the next decade if not this one)
Old 12-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #378
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
I'd be very surprised if it ends up coming out that UW passed on Leach. It was likely the other way around.
Might've been on both ends. Reportedly, Leach's interview wasn't a home run, and that's why the UW wanted to meet with him a 2nd time. Leach is a quirky guy, and if the AD wasn't sold on him, best not to go into a working relationship where the boss has major reservations about the employee.

On the other hand, I've heard talk that Leach was underwhelmed by the facilities when he got here and reconsidered his interest.

We'll probably never know the truth - there's multiple motivations for spin on both sides.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:46 PM   #379
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Just read a report (lost the link) that Boises Chris Peterson may be headed for Mississippi State. Talk about interesting.
I would be shocked if this turns out to be true.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:47 PM   #380
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
NO WAY THAT'S NOT LIKE HIM AT ALL

Haha...

I remember reading, a few seasons ago, that Nutt and/or his agent always pre-emptively publicly denied interest in high profile jobs. I guess the thinking was that it made him appear more desirable. It made me laugh at the time, but then I noticed that he always seemed to throw his name out there when there were any decent openings.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:10 PM   #381
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
I would be shocked if this turns out to be true.

Same here.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:18 PM   #382
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Haha...

I remember reading, a few seasons ago, that Nutt and/or his agent always pre-emptively publicly denied interest in high profile jobs. I guess the thinking was that it made him appear more desirable. It made me laugh at the time, but then I noticed that he always seemed to throw his name out there when there were any decent openings.

Sexton would do the same thing with Saban at Michigan St. and LSU.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:29 PM   #383
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I was thinking more from a recent history level. You could toss two teams in both divisions as being at least top 10 on a fairly consistent basis, so you are looking at being #3 in the east, or west depending on what team you took over. Compare that to the other conferences.

Pac 10: Not much outside of USC.
Big East: For now, Cincy seems to be taking over for WVU, and hello, it's Cincy.
ACC: Flip a coin between a bunch of really good, but not great schools.
Big Ten: It's really just OSU and they aren't THAT good. PSU just does a once in every so many years push. Until further notice, Michigan's program is being found on milk cartons as they are going through the same issues of denial that ND is. So is the Big Ten in general, but that's another thread...

The Big 12 and SEC are too deep currently to think those are the ideal conferences to move up to when given the alternatives.

Last edited by Matthean : 12-05-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:54 PM   #384
cartman
Death Herald

Tech has submitted an extension offer to Leach. 5 years, $12.1 million. Sounds kinda low to me.

COLLEGE SPORTS Blog | The Dallas Morning News
Old 12-05-2008, 07:18 PM   #385
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I was thinking more from a recent history level. You could toss two teams in both divisions as being at least top 10 on a fairly consistent basis, so you are looking at being #3 in the east, or west depending on what team you took over. Compare that to the other conferences.

Pac 10: Not much outside of USC.
Big East: For now, Cincy seems to be taking over for WVU, and hello, it's Cincy.
ACC: Flip a coin between a bunch of really good, but not great schools.
Big Ten: It's really just OSU and they aren't THAT good. PSU just does a once in every so many years push. Until further notice, Michigan's program is being found on milk cartons as they are going through the same issues of denial that ND is. So is the Big Ten in general, but that's another thread...

The Big 12 and SEC are too deep currently to think those are the ideal conferences to move up to when given the alternatives.
Yeah, it's why I'd be shocked if Peterson ends up at MSU rather than taking the Washington job. The ceiling at Washington is a lot higher IMO.

Then again, maybe the UW was going cheap for this hire. I have no idea how much money Mississippi State is willing to throw around - maybe they can buy Peterson with a huge offer.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:39 PM   #386
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Tech has submitted an extension offer to Leach. 5 years, $12.1 million. Sounds kinda low to me.

COLLEGE SPORTS Blog | The Dallas Morning News

It is pretty low considering what he's done and the year they've had, but maybe they're of the opinion that since he's not that stunning of an interviewer that they can keep him for that money. If Auburn won't hire him, where's he going to go? As Texas Tech keeps getting better, the number of jobs that will entice him to leave is dwindling. Tennessee and Clemson filled up. He didn't want Washington (or he did and interviewed poorly) and Auburn (according to an above post) is going in another direction.

They also know that he's going to sign it or risk being a "free-agent" coach next year...which hardly ever happens or ends well.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #387
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I was just on Warchant and they mentioned that Jimbo Fisher was the #1 candidate for the Auburn job. I hope he doesn't leave...
Old 12-05-2008, 08:55 PM   #388
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Petersen not going to MSU. At least right now....

KTVB.COM Video | Idaho News Video | Boise Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:18 PM   #389
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Petersen not going to MSU. At least right now....

KTVB.COM Video | Idaho News Video | Boise Video
I think Peterson is smart enough to see the difficulties his predecessors at Boise have had when moving on to BCS schools, and is willing to stay at Boise, or at least wait until he gets offered a job in a better situation than Washington or Mississippi State - for example, taking over a program in good shape when the current coach retires or leaves for another job (Arizona State might be just such a situation in a few years).
Old 12-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #390
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
I think Peterson is smart enough to see the difficulties his predecessors at Boise have had when moving on to BCS schools, and is willing to stay at Boise, or at least wait until he gets offered a job in a better situation than Washington or Mississippi State - for example, taking over a program in good shape when the current coach retires or leaves for another job (Arizona State might be just such a situation in a few years).

He was an assistant at Oregon before coming here, and the rumors the last couple of years were that he was next in line for that job. Not sure now since the assistant there may take over for Bellotti....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:42 PM   #391
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
He was an assistant at Oregon before coming here, and the rumors the last couple of years were that he was next in line for that job. Not sure now since the assistant there may take over for Bellotti....
Yep. With Chip Kelly in line now to replace Bellotti, it would seem that Peterson might have to adjust his long-term plans.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:47 PM   #392
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
It is pretty low considering what he's done and the year they've had, but maybe they're of the opinion that since he's not that stunning of an interviewer that they can keep him for that money. If Auburn won't hire him, where's he going to go? As Texas Tech keeps getting better, the number of jobs that will entice him to leave is dwindling. Tennessee and Clemson filled up. He didn't want Washington (or he did and interviewed poorly) and Auburn (according to an above post) is going in another direction.

They also know that he's going to sign it or risk being a "free-agent" coach next year...which hardly ever happens or ends well.

I've always been curious what the interview process is like for a college football coach.

Did UB's Turner Gill just see his stock go up? Could Syracuse try to pry him? hxxp://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootb...ll_may_ha.html

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-05-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:49 PM   #393
timmynausea
College Starter

It sure seems like Syracuse should go for Gill.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:42 PM   #394
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
It sure seems like Syracuse should go for Gill.
Someone should make a play for him. I was hoping the UW would at least interview him...
Old 12-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #395
timmynausea
College Starter

The NFL Network is reporting that Skip Holtz to Syracuse will be announced tomorrow.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow...tz-to-syracuse

Also of interest in that link - VT defensive coordinator Bud Foster would apparently be ECU's first choice to replace Holtz.

Last edited by timmynausea : 12-07-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:12 PM   #396
Galaxy
Coordinator

Looks like Gill is now in the mix for the Auburn job.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:26 PM   #397
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Gill has certainly made something out of nothing there in Buffalo.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:29 AM   #398
boberot
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Gill has certainly made something out of nothing there in Buffalo.

He's been a miracle worker. As all the media outlets have been reporting, UB won a TOTAL of 10 games in their first 7 years at D 1-A, so this level of success -- accomplished by knocking off a ranked, undefeated program -- is flabbergasting.

He deserves a shot at the big time, but selfishly I hope he sticks around.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:59 AM   #399
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Illini OC Locksley reportedly is going to be the next New Mexico HC.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:11 PM   #400
timmynausea
College Starter

Locksley is best known for his recruiting, particularly connections in the Washington DC/VA/MD area - he helped Zook recruit many of the players that Urban Meyer won a national championship with as well as most of the players that Ralph Friedgen had success with in his first 2 or 3 years at Maryland while under Ron Vanderlinden there.

He was a popular name among fans last year in the WVU coaching search. On one hand, it seems like a pretty good hire for New Mexico, but that's a long way from DC.