Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #351
mckerney
Coordinator

This looks awesome, definitely in for only $15.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #352
mckerney
Coordinator

Between the Duck Tales, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and now Redwall games sometime out there is making sure all the games I wanted to play when I was 12 get made.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #353
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The Redwall game is being made by a Christian game developer I've never heard of. Not exactly instilling confidence that it's going to be the game I would hope for.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #354
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
The Redwall game is being made by a Christian game developer I've never heard of. Not exactly instilling confidence that it's going to be the game I would hope for.

After a little Googling, I guess that'd be Soma Games.

Beyond the name & their niche-within-the-niche, I don't know much about them. But I thought this quote from an interview last year was interesting. How it might apply to the game you're talking about, maybe you'll be able to guess that better than I could.

Quote:
GS: Tell me one of the main concepts a developer should remember when attempting to create a casual game.

“Casual” is not the same thing as “shallow”. Not at all. As a guy motivated to tell deep stories, casual games may seem like an odd career choice, but there really is a great opportunity to go deeper with the storyline while keeping the experience and investment casual.
“Casual” is not the same thing as “shallow”.

GS: So you’re saying a “casual” has more to do with how the experience is delivered to the player.

I think so. Casual games allow for an experience to come to us in bite-sized pieces. This is often reflective of the way life feels in the busy world that we inhabit. Using that dynamic to engage with a player wherever they happen to be is a very rewarding challenge.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #355
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post

Thankfully in the case of Redwall a game for it doesn't have me all that excited. Were I still a kid that would be different but it has been so long since I read the books and i can hardly remember anything about them.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #356
mckerney
Coordinator

I am excited to see that it looks like Dark Souls was a success on PC as Dark Souls 2 will be getting a proper PC version that will launch at the same time as console versions.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #357
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Reading that and the post on their site "announcing" the game, I'm cautiously optimistic...it SOUNDS good. We'll see what they can do with it though.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #358
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I am excited to see that it looks like Dark Souls was a success on PC as Dark Souls 2 will be getting a proper PC version that will launch at the same time as console versions.

Speaking of that game, It's currently free to PS Plus members. Can't beat free, especially when it's a great game like that one.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #359
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Speaking of that game, It's currently free to PS Plus members. Can't beat free, especially when it's a great game like that one.

I think it's actually Demon Souls that is on PS+, which is the prequel to Dark Souls. Still a good game though.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #360
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I think it's actually Demon Souls that is on PS+, which is the prequel to Dark Souls. Still a good game though.

You're right. Got my Souls crossed up. Thanks for the correction.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #361
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Completed Normal on PoE with my main. I think I've come to the conclusion nobody solos hardcore. There's too many bosses that can be annoying to take on and that says nothing of various mobs. I burned through multiple portals on the end boss alone.

I found out GGG is adding a fourth Act when PoE exits beta, and they have plans for ten Acts in all releasing them one per 8-9 months. It's going to be interesting to see how the game changes as they add stuff. I can't imagine each Act getting bigger after the third.

I tried my hands at trading but not getting much of anywhere so far. When your highest guy just completed Normal your bargaining power is near nil. Once I get through Cruel, I should be good to go.

I've tried out a number of other builds but kind of waiting on being able to trade for some stuff so it is easier for those builds to level up.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #362
Edward64
Head Coach

What are you guys thinking is the game of the year in any particular genre?

Still waiting for the English translation of the Space Rangers add-on (no reviews that I can find so probably not a good sign) and waiting for the next XCOM DLC.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #363
Atocep
Coordinator

It looks like the X-COM FPS has been canceled. No official word yet, but 2K has shut down the website for the game and set the trailers on their youtube channel to private.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #364
mckerney
Coordinator

Can't really say that disappoints me if true.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #365
mckerney
Coordinator

Though for X-Com fans, Xenonauts is coming to Steam early access I'm the next 5 or 6 weeks.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #366
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It looks like the X-COM FPS has been canceled. No official word yet, but 2K has shut down the website for the game and set the trailers on their youtube channel to private.

I think it might be more likely that they've changed the game significantly from what had been shown earlier. The game is still being updated on it's Steam DB profile and just recently had achievements added.

There have been some rumors that it won't be an FPS as originally planned but will be more along the lines of a squad based third person shooter.

Also possible is that the game is proceeding under a different name.

Rumour: XCOM FPS reportedly re-branded as ‘The Bureau’, XCOM name removed | Australia's #1 Location for PC Games News, Reviews, Servers & Files - games.on.net

A renaming would make sense. At the time they hadn't announced the Firaxis strategy game. Since then the XCOM strategy game has been successful and they're expanding the game to mobile devices and there's a possible sequel in the works. Doesn't make sense to risk hurting the brand with a game that's completely unrelated to a successful franchise.

Last edited by mckerney : 04-13-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #367
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I think it might be more likely that they've changed the game significantly from what had been shown earlier. The game is still being updated on it's Steam DB profile and just recently had achievements added.

There have been some rumors that it won't be an FPS as originally planned but will be more along the lines of a squad based third person shooter.

Also possible is that the game is proceeding under a different name.

Rumour: XCOM FPS reportedly re-branded as ‘The Bureau’, XCOM name removed | Australia's #1 Location for PC Games News, Reviews, Servers & Files - games.on.net

A renaming would make sense. At the time they hadn't announced the Firaxis strategy game. Since then the XCOM strategy game has been successful and they're expanding the game to mobile devices and there's a possible sequel in the works. Doesn't make sense to risk hurting the brand with a game that's completely unrelated to a successful franchise.

Interesting. Some people got some hands on time with it a few months ago and said it had moved away from being a traditional FPS as originally planned and was looking more like Fallout 3.

It sounds like they don't know what the fuck they want to do and should probably drop the XCOM name, like you said, and get a better grasp on what exactly they want to make.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #368
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Interesting. Some people got some hands on time with it a few months ago and said it had moved away from being a traditional FPS as originally planned and was looking more like Fallout 3.

It sounds like they don't know what the fuck they want to do and should probably drop the XCOM name, like you said, and get a better grasp on what exactly they want to make.

I don't think they were ever really making an XCOM game, I think originally they were just looking to use an old IP they hadn't touched in a while rather than the risks of a new one and just slap the name on whatever game they're making, much like EA had done with Syndicate. I understand the aversion publishers have to new IPs, but never really got the reasoning behind using old strategy franchises to sell new shooters.

Not to say that i don't think there couldn't be a good XCOM fps, but if you look at what they were doing early on I don't believe what they were doing would have been one. Sure you were fighting aliens in it, but that doesn't really make it an XCOM game any more than it makes it an Aliens or ET game.

The strategy game probably did change things quite a bit. The XCOM name wasn't just an IP that they hadn't touched in a decade, but instead was attached to a current successful franchise. So while the game may have stood to benefit from the name more than before, they also risked more damaging the brand if the game isn't good, but also with the vast disconnect of the fact that the games have two completely different styles and settings. Having one game where XCOM is an elite force created by a joint effort of the world's major governments and another where it's an X-Files like division of the FBI in the 60s probably isn't a great road to go down if they're looking to continue with the strategy series.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #369
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

Still waiting for the English translation of the Space Rangers add-on (no reviews that I can find so probably not a good sign) and waiting for the next XCOM DLC.

I think that Bioshock Infinite is a slam dunk for this, despite what the actual game of the year may be.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #370
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:

I have to go with Tomb Raider. Easily the best game ive played in a few years. I thought it was much better than Bioshock. Im actually kinda disappointed with Bioshock. It looks incredible and I do enjoy the story (which is rare for me and video games) but the gameplay is boring to me, the AI is pretty dumb at times and most fights are really easy. You almost need house rules on what weapons you can use.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #371
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
I have to go with Tomb Raider. Easily the best game ive played in a few years. I thought it was much better than Bioshock. Im actually kinda disappointed with Bioshock. It looks incredible and I do enjoy the story (which is rare for me and video games) but the gameplay is boring to me, the AI is pretty dumb at times and most fights are really easy. You almost need house rules on what weapons you can use.

I'd agree with you as far as games that are completely out right now though, I enjoyed Tomb Raider more than Bioshock Infinite. I think the front runner for me right now though is Kentucky Route Zero which had a phenomenal first episode.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #372
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Has anyone here played Lords of Football?
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #373
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Many of the Wii's online services are shutting down at the end of June.

End of an era: Many Wii online services shutting down in June | Ars Technica
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #374
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Watching my kid play the new BlOps 2 DLC maps and was just thinking "y'know, this would be better if the maps took advantage of opportunities to be more specific to their setting"

Here's what I mean: one of the new maps is "encore" (I think that's the name), it's a concert setting with stage, amps, etc. What I thought of was "wouldn't it have been cooler if there was maybe a button to switch on the spotlights & temporarily blind opponents that were on stage at the time?"

Basically something that was unique to the environment you're supposed to be playing in, rather than just have those environments be essentially skins.

Too beer tent? Or am I right here?
Old 04-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #375
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Watching my kid play the new BlOps 2 DLC maps and was just thinking "y'know, this would be better if the maps took advantage of opportunities to be more specific to their setting"

Here's what I mean: one of the new maps is "encore" (I think that's the name), it's a concert setting with stage, amps, etc. What I thought of was "wouldn't it have been cooler if there was maybe a button to switch on the spotlights & temporarily blind opponents that were on stage at the time?"

Basically something that was unique to the environment you're supposed to be playing in, rather than just have those environments be essentially skins.

Too beer tent? Or am I right here?

Done right, that would be awesome. I've been a big fan of games that let you use the environment in unexpected ways. The first game I played that gave me the feeling of 'getting it' was Operation Flashpoint. After I played that, I had a hard time going back to the games with scripted levels.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:40 AM   #376
cartman
Death Herald

The development team of Skyrim has officially tied the bow on the project and are moving on to other upcoming releases. Hell of a job those folks did.

Bethesda Wraps Up Development of All Content for Skyrim | TechnoBuffalo
Old 04-17-2013, 05:50 AM   #377
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The development team of Skyrim has officially tied the bow on the project and are moving on to other upcoming releases. Hell of a job those folks did.

Bethesda Wraps Up Development of All Content for Skyrim | TechnoBuffalo

(layup joke) I hear they wanted to continue working on it but they took an arrow in the knee

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:46 AM   #378
mckerney
Coordinator

Really looking forward to Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Old 04-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #379
Autumn
Head Coach

This hsould probably go in the 2005 video games thread but ...

I am not a gamer, all we own is a Wii for the kids and I occasionally play a game on there. I've got a few computer games that I never get around to playing.

That said, I've got a new laptop which is more capable than anything I've had fora while. I'm going to get a controller and a few games for it: Arkham Asyluma nd CrusaderKings II probably.

I'd like to get something like a Call of Duty game, primarily for playing single player. My laptop probably can't play whatever the cutting edge versions are, but I"m fine with playing some old version. Which game would people suggest? It seems like maybe CoD 4 is the one to start with? I like the idea of the modern angle, but i don't know which games are considered good and which are mediocre. What's considered the pinnacle of these kind of games, even if it's outdated for you guys by now?
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:50 PM   #380
mckerney
Coordinator

Less than a week until Monaco is out. Been looking forward to this since it won an IGF award about 3 years ago.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #381
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
This hsould probably go in the 2005 video games thread but ...

I am not a gamer, all we own is a Wii for the kids and I occasionally play a game on there. I've got a few computer games that I never get around to playing.

That said, I've got a new laptop which is more capable than anything I've had fora while. I'm going to get a controller and a few games for it: Arkham Asyluma nd CrusaderKings II probably.

I'd like to get something like a Call of Duty game, primarily for playing single player. My laptop probably can't play whatever the cutting edge versions are, but I"m fine with playing some old version. Which game would people suggest? It seems like maybe CoD 4 is the one to start with? I like the idea of the modern angle, but i don't know which games are considered good and which are mediocre. What's considered the pinnacle of these kind of games, even if it's outdated for you guys by now?

I'm not the person to give advice on CoD games, but Spec Ops: The Line is a third person shooter that had a great campaign for a modern military shooter. I think it's pretty frequently on sale.

And as far as gamepads go I'll give the same advice I have here before, you'll have a much easier time if you get a 360 pad, either wired or wireless with a USB transmitter.

Last edited by mckerney : 04-18-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #382
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

Surgeon Simulator game of the year, all years.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #383
mckerney
Coordinator

After experimenation it seems like the hammer may be the best way to break the patients ribs off. Hand saw ineffective, electric saw too good at destroying internal organs.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #384
mckerney
Coordinator

Aaaaand I think I dropped the hammer on the floor. Wherever it is, I can't find it anymore.

Maybe I'll be able to drill through his ribs.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #385
mckerney
Coordinator

I'm gonna be honest here, the drill was not my best decision.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #386
mckerney
Coordinator

Well, lost that one. Onto the next.

Punching the rib cage doesn't seem to work either. I'm also not strong enough to pull it apart with my hand.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #387
mckerney
Coordinator

Uh oh. I think I might need to put that lung back in his body later, I hope the floor is sterile.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #388
mckerney
Coordinator

And he's dead too.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #389
mckerney
Coordinator

Awesome, I've actually figured out how to use the bone saw. It turns out it can be much more effective than using a hammer.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #390
mckerney
Coordinator

I probably should have managed to get my watch to fall off before I started pulling organs out. I think I might have to leave it in him.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #391
mckerney
Coordinator

Heart tubes are not easy to cut through.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #392
mckerney
Coordinator

WOOHOOO! I'M A HEART SURGEON!
Old 04-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #393
mckerney
Coordinator

Kidney surgery surprisingly hard compared to heart surgery.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #394
mckerney
Coordinator

Oh boy, I've been given some kind of medical hatchet for brain surgery. This isn't going to end well.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #395
PilotMan
Head Coach

That's some funny shit right there Mckerney.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #396
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm not the person to give advice on CoD games, but Spec Ops: The Line is a third person shooter that had a great campaign for a modern military shooter. I think it's pretty frequently on sale.

And as far as gamepads go I'll give the same advice I have here before, you'll have a much easier time if you get a 360 pad, either wired or wireless with a USB transmitter.

Thanks, mckerney, a USB 360 was just what I was about to buy, so I'm glad to hear that. Thanks for letting me know about Spec Ops, I'll check that out.

If anyone has any advice about Call of Duty titles, let me know.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #397
Autumn
Head Coach

Also, Mckerney, go sign up in my werewolf game you $&#@
Old 04-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #398
Edward64
Head Coach

A bunch of Space Rangers A War Apart screenshots.

Steam Community :: Space Rangers HD: A War Apart
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #399
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

There is nothing about the surgery simulator game that I can handle. Way too much for me.

I am, however, looking forward to some stuff coming to the 3DS this summer...cautiously optimistic about the Link to the Past sequel.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #400
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
There is nothing about the surgery simulator game that I can handle. Way too much for me.

You can't be the surgeon, silly. You're the patient.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote