Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-23-2013, 08:03 AM   #301
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Now all I have seen was the video of the fight that led up to the brawl plus the brawl, I am still trying to figure out how Scott can be labeled as a coward. He said something to Kessel, Kessel turned and Scott reached out after him.

Kessel swung his stick at Scott multiple times, connecting WHILE Scott was fighting two other Leafs that had decided they were going to pile onto him.

So...color me confused...
Old 09-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #302
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Now all I have seen was the video of the fight that led up to the brawl plus the brawl, I am still trying to figure out how Scott can be labeled as a coward. He said something to Kessel, Kessel turned and Scott reached out after him.

Kessel swung his stick at Scott multiple times, connecting WHILE Scott was fighting two other Leafs that had decided they were going to pile onto him.

It's the beginning of the process that was cowardly, not what happened during the brawl. When you are Scott, you don't go and pick on Kessel. That's the cowardly act. You go after Colton Orr or one of the other Leaf tough guys. Going after Kessel is cheap.

That in no way justifies what Kessel did after the brawl started, but Scott should never have gone after him in the first place if he is the tough guy he is supposed to be.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #303
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
10 games for Clarkson...it's automatic

This is locked in. Godard got one in 2011 Pens-Isles brawl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Match penalty for Kessel also includes an automatic suspension

Wouldn't be shocked if this is overturned

Quote:

No dog in this fight. But a guy who probably shouldn't even be in the league going after a star, at all, is cowardice.

I'm not a huge beleiver in "the code", but if Scott can go outside the rules and (as I've read) go after Kessel from the faceoff, Kessel can swing his stick around too. Both are cheap.

Lost in all of this, Ryan Flynn should retire. If Phil the Thrill draws blood, time to give up.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #304
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

DOLA

All Scott has done is put a target on Vanek, Myers, etc for Orr and McLaren.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #305
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

TROLA

At least the NHL will make it onto ESPN
Old 09-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #306
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Obviously I am not a hockey purist, but when you are last to set your line and you send that line out against Scott and the goon line, what do you expect.

Tropp was blasted by a bigger guy, Sabres were pissed, they sent out the goon line and the leafs sent out the stars. To me, that's a fault of the Leafs....

And if it was turned around, I would be saying the same for the Sabres too...
Old 09-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #307
Logan
Head Coach

Sending out Kessel was stupid, no doubt. But there was no excuse for John Scott...who is a complete waste of a body, I still have nightmares of his stint as a Ranger...trying to fight Kessel. Coward, plain and simple.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #308
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Sending out Kessel was stupid, no doubt. But there was no excuse for John Scott...who is a complete waste of a body, I still have nightmares of his stint as a Ranger...trying to fight Kessel. Coward, plain and simple.

This.

While putting your stars in that situation invites problems, nobody is forcing Scott to be a coward.

Upset your teammate just got rocked? Wait for the "offending party" (and in this case, Tropp initiated the original fight with Devane. Don't be angry your teammate got clocked by a guy he shouldn't be going after) to come out of the box.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #309
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Wouldn't be shocked if this is overturned
I'm with Macro on this part. The first one was fine when Scott was coming at him could be excused, but then Kessel wound up and swung his stick at a player who was facing away from him and engaged with 2 other players. He needs to get a game or 3 for that, even with the NHL star system.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-23-2013 at 10:24 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #310
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Obviously I am not a hockey purist, but when you are last to set your line and you send that line out against Scott and the goon line, what do you expect.

Fwiw, I don't have a dog in this fight either...

Apparently, Randy Carlyle expected that sending out the Kessel line would defuse the situation. Sending out his goon line would escalate it. He was obviously wrong.

I don't understand Bernier's rationale for going after Miller either. Defending your teammates? Seriously? What was Miller doing to your teammates that put them in such grave danger where you felt the need to skate the length of the ice and fight Miller in his own zone?
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #311
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I'm with Macro on this part. The first one was fine when Scott was coming at him could be excused, but then Kessel wound up and swung his stick at a player who was facing away from him and engaged with 2 other players. He needs to get a game or 3 for that, even with the NHL star system.

I'm of the thinking that, if you feel having a player swing a stick at a player multiple times is bad and a black mark against the sport, you should feel as much, or more, anger towards a guy whose sole purpose is punching other players, going after an opponent for the sole purpose of punching him. One or three games isn't going to deter Phil Kessel or the next star faced with the same issue from swinging his stick to defend himself.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #312
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm of the thinking that, if you feel having a player swing a stick at a player multiple times is bad and a black mark against the sport, you should feel as much, or more, anger towards a guy whose sole purpose is punching other players, going after an opponent for the sole purpose of punching him. One or three games isn't going to deter Phil Kessel or the next star faced with the same issue from swinging his stick to defend himself.

Wasn't Kessel swinging his stick at Scott while Scott's back was turned and taking on other players? Sorry, I don't see Kessler attacking Scott with what amounts to a weapon as being remotely comparable to Scott doing his goon thing (fighting face to face with fists).

One is part of the game (regardless of how you feel about fighting in general). The other is punishable by jail time (and doing similar things ended McSorley's career, and derailed Bertuzzi's).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 09-23-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #313
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Wasn't Kessel swinging his stick at Scott while Scott's back was turned and taking on other players? Sorry, I don't see Kessler attacking Scott with what amounts to a weapon as being remotely comparable to Scott doing his goon thing (fighting face to face with fists).

One is part of the game (regardless of how you feel about fighting in general). The other is punishable by jail time (and doing similar things ended McSorley's career, and derailed Bertuzzi's).

Bingo, and it was at the Achilles and lower leg...
Old 09-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #314
Logan
Head Coach

My issue with Scott doesn't mean I don't think Kessel should get the book thrown at him, FWIW. You don't start chopping with your stick, ever. He could have just as easily cracked someone in the head with that second swing in the unlikely event a guy fell down to the ice in the skirmish.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #315
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Or like Kassian did to Gagner's jaw and teeth by swinging his stick carelessly about...what a dumb dumb head.

Here's my take on the Leafs/Sabres stuff...I'm of the opinion that Carlyle did the right thing and tried to be the "bigger man" by not sending out his goon squad. We're not talking about the final week of the season and fighting for a playoff spot or something...this is pre-fucking-season hockey. Sure, it ended up being exactly what the Sabres wanted but I doubt the score will be settled in Carlyle's eyes, so the Sabres' stars should expect some retribution sometime soon.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #316
Logan
Head Coach

Scott's side of the story:

Quote:
The 6-foot-8 Scott knew he had to respond and said he would’ve went after anyone who lined up beside him, so he told Kessel, who’s about eight inches shorter and 60 pounds lighter, “Phil, we’re going to have to go here, just to let you know.”

How did Kessel respond? “I think he said, ‘All right, let’s do it,’” Scott said.

Uhhh sure he did.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #317
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

In other news about pointless players in the NHL, Edmonton claims Stevie Mac off waivers from Pittsburgh. He has no place in the game, because nobody will even fight him.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #318
bbor
Pro Starter

Hahahah

Ya,right...Kessel said alright let's do this....wow..

Kessel 5 games
Clarkson....10
Bernier...2
Scott...Beer league

There is plenty of wrong to go around on this.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #319
RendeR
Coordinator

Frankly is the Leafs don't take cheap shots at the young guys in a fucking pre-season game their precious star players wouldn't be facing suspensions at all.

The hit on tropp was crap to begin with and deserved someone getting their ass hauled to the ice. Kessel just had the bad luck to be the guy at ground zero when Scott did his job as a tone-setter or "enforcer".

I don't like that side of the sport myself, but you can't take the cheap shots and expect no retaliation. Everything beyond kessel and Scott going at it is pretty much the Leafs players trying in vain to cover their own asses.

As for anything "cowardly" happening on either side, If you can't see Kessel's chicken shit tactics as cowardly then you have nothing to add to this conversation.

Cut away all the bullshit and whining and this situation says one thing "don't cheap shot the kids on the other team, its stupid and causes you to get yer ass kicked"
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #320
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Frankly is the Leafs don't take cheap shots at the young guys in a fucking pre-season game their precious star players wouldn't be facing suspensions at all.

The hit on tropp was crap to begin with and deserved someone getting their ass hauled to the ice. Kessel just had the bad luck to be the guy at ground zero when Scott did his job as a tone-setter or "enforcer".

I don't like that side of the sport myself, but you can't take the cheap shots and expect no retaliation. Everything beyond kessel and Scott going at it is pretty much the Leafs players trying in vain to cover their own asses.

As for anything "cowardly" happening on either side, If you can't see Kessel's chicken shit tactics as cowardly then you have nothing to add to this conversation.

Cut away all the bullshit and whining and this situation says one thing "don't cheap shot the kids on the other team, its stupid and causes you to get yer ass kicked"

So, you think that Devane, in a fight that started mutually or perhaps even initiated by Tropp, purposefully drove Tropp's head into the ice when they fell during the fight?

It's possible he did, but it's also possible it was just a bad fall during a fight that just started. It's not like Devane jumped him or anything.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #321
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Yup. That's why I clearly delineated between slashing as you back away and try to avoid a fight and circling back and targeting a player's ankle when they aren't looking. (And then coming up and spearing him an additional time when he's in the linesman's grasp, although that one was so weak maybe we should give Kessel a pass for it.) I'd have the same problem if Kessel had rabbit-punched Scott at that time.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #322
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Lucic - Rechlicz fight last night featured a ton of landed shots.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #323
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The Lucic - Rechlicz fight last night featured a ton of landed shots.

Yes and, in typical Jack Edwards fashion, some very colorful commentary:

“He’s being reckless with his face!”

“He’s just assaulting his knuckles with his nose!”
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #324
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
So, you think that Devane, in a fight that started mutually or perhaps even initiated by Tropp, purposefully drove Tropp's head into the ice when they fell during the fight?

It's possible he did, but it's also possible it was just a bad fall during a fight that just started. It's not like Devane jumped him or anything.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #325
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Yup. That's why I clearly delineated between slashing as you back away and try to avoid a fight and circling back and targeting a player's ankle when they aren't looking. (And then coming up and spearing him an additional time when he's in the linesman's grasp, although that one was so weak maybe we should give Kessel a pass for it.) I'd have the same problem if Kessel had rabbit-punched Scott at that time.

Yeah, I have no problem with what Kessel did initially. If a giant 6'7", 250 lbs. man dropped his gloves and started to come at me menacingly I would back away and hit him with a stick. That was fine.

It's when Kessel circled around and slashed his ankles again after he was tied up and then went to spear him that it went beyond simply "self defense."
Old 09-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #326
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

If Jack could only call, say, Phoenix-Minnesota games, he'd be fantastic. But as soon as he's emotionally invested in the game, he goes bonkers.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #327
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I thought it was a hell of a draw. That might be the highlight of Rechlicz's career.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #328
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

This is the best thing to come out of the whole Leafs/Sabres deal by far:

Down Goes Brown: Phil Kessel's suspension hearing: The top secret transcript
Old 09-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #329
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
It's the beginning of the process that was cowardly, not what happened during the brawl. When you are Scott, you don't go and pick on Kessel. That's the cowardly act. You go after Colton Orr or one of the other Leaf tough guys. Going after Kessel is cheap.

That in no way justifies what Kessel did after the brawl started, but Scott should never have gone after him in the first place if he is the tough guy he is supposed to be.

I don't get this logic. What does it mean to not "pick on" Kessel, or any player? Isn't that the purpose of a big and agitator guy? It's one thing to be cheap and physically go after a player, but to take crap and maybe try to stir things up, that's always been part of hockey.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #330
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I don't get this logic. What does it mean to not "pick on" Kessel, or any player? Isn't that the purpose of a big and agitator guy? It's one thing to be cheap and physically go after a player, but to take crap and maybe try to stir things up, that's always been part of hockey.

Trying to stir things up has always been a part of hockey. If Scott had hit Kessel with a check - impossible because he'd never be able to skate fast enough to accomplish this - or pushed him around or something, that'd be "trying to stir things up."

As soon as the puck was dropped, Scott dropped his gloves and tried to fight Kessel, to pound him with his bare fists. I have watched a ton of hockey over the last 25+ years (I didn't start watching until I was 13) and having a big goon like that drop the gloves and go after a much smaller, star player isn't and never has been a "part of hockey."

I am not offended by what happened or upset. In fact, I kind of like the idea of Jonathan Scott in the league, but what he did was a total BS move.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #331
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

This is going to be a vague answer, but it's a "within the context of the game" thing.

Like HB is saying, a check within game play, a face wash in a scrum in the crease as the whistle blows. All acceptable.

There are unfortunate things that happen during game play that, IMO, still fall within gameplay - most recent examples, Chara on MaxPac. Steckel on Crosby.

Then there are those things occurring that do not resemble playing the game, other than they occur on ice. Bertuzzi on Moore. McSorley on Brashear.

Plenty of Sabres fan were upset when Lucic blew up Miller last year, and rightfully so. To me that falls in category II above.

I'm not lumping this incident into the last category, but it's a lot closer to that than the first two.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #332
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

I am not offended by what happened or upset. In fact, I kind of like the idea of Jonathan Scott in the league, but what he did was a total BS move.

I'm just confused what it is he did that was a BS move? Talking crap to a precious player?
Old 09-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #333
Galaxy
Coordinator

Oh, so:

Kessel suspended for the rest of the pre-season, but no pre-season games (a joke.).

Clarkson gets 10 games.

Ron Rolston gets a fine. (Which I don't get, because Toronto was the home team, and they are the ones that select their line last.)
Old 09-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #334
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
This is going to be a vague answer, but it's a "within the context of the game" thing.

Like HB is saying, a check within game play, a face wash in a scrum in the crease as the whistle blows. All acceptable.

There are unfortunate things that happen during game play that, IMO, still fall within gameplay - most recent examples, Chara on MaxPac. Steckel on Crosby.

Then there are those things occurring that do not resemble playing the game, other than they occur on ice. Bertuzzi on Moore. McSorley on Brashear.

Plenty of Sabres fan were upset when Lucic blew up Miller last year, and rightfully so. To me that falls in category II above.

I'm not lumping this incident into the last category, but it's a lot closer to that than the first two.
Quote:
I'm of the thinking that, if you feel having a player swing a stick at a player multiple times is bad and a black mark against the sport, you should feel as much, or more, anger towards a guy whose sole purpose is punching other players, going after an opponent for the sole purpose of punching him.
I guess I'm curious if you were trying to argue Devil's Advocate earlier, because I just have a hard time squaring these two statements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I'm just confused what it is he did that was a BS move? Talking crap to a precious player?
It's part of the code that if you want to go off the faceoff, you tell the other player that, they say OK, and you both drop gloves after the puck drops. If that other player says no, you don't drop the gloves and engage them (with an exception if that player is the one who made the dirty hit, in which case you are allowed to). So people are calling Scott out for the BS move of going after Kessel when Kessel "obviously" said no. (I'm putting obviously in quotes because given what I know of Kessel it totally wouldn't surprise me if he said yes with no intention of following through and fighting him.)
Old 09-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #335
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah the Rolston fine is bizarre and just another example of NHL hypocrisy. If you allow guys like Scott in the league, which they do because a large part of their fan base still likes fighting, how can you fine Rolston for putting him out there in that situation?

Kessel suspension is a cop out as well, but the fine is everything that is wrong with the league
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #336
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Old 09-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #337
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I guess I'm curious if you were trying to argue Devil's Advocate earlier, because I just have a hard time squaring these two statements.

Quote:
It's part of the code that if you want to go off the faceoff, you tell the other player that, they say OK, and you both drop gloves after the puck drops. If that other player says no, you don't drop the gloves and engage them (with an exception if that player is the one who made the dirty hit, in which case you are allowed to). So people are calling Scott out for the BS move of going after Kessel when Kessel "obviously" said no. (I'm putting obviously in quotes because given what I know of Kessel it totally wouldn't surprise me if he said yes with no intention of following through and fighting him.)

Didn't see this until now.

I guess I'm saying, much like the bolded in your response, swinging his stick in retaliation is different than swinging his stick McSorley style.

Also, re-reading my two responses, the initial

Quote:

was about Scott, not Kessel (eventhough I'm comparing to another stick swinging incident). Scott going after Kessel from the faceoff isn't quite a Bertuzzi level attack, but it wasn't necessarily part of normal gameplay either.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #338
britrock88
Pro Starter

Nothing about Tim Thomas signing with the Panthers? Really?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:02 AM   #339
SackAttack
Head Coach

He's just chasing a Stanley Cup, britrock. What's wrong with that?

/delusion
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #340
bhlloy
Coordinator

McIndoe - you bastard. You sick, sick bastard
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #341
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What a great time of the year!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #342
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
What a great time of the year!

Old 10-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #343
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

For the Teemu farewell tour?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #344
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

That was hilarious.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #345
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

And Sean is right on, too--what the hell, NHL? Only visit to Winnipeg is in October?

Old 10-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #346
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:

This is awesome.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #347
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
This is awesome.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #348
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
And Sean is right on, too--what the hell, NHL? Only visit to Winnipeg is in October?

And I will be in the house!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #349
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Change the thread title.. it's the season baby!

Blues win 7-0!
Old 10-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #350
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Change the thread title.. it's the season baby!

Blues win 7-0!

Go the Regular Season thread, baby!

The Official 13-14 NHL Regular season thread - Front Office Football Central