Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-15-2009, 07:44 PM   #301
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
If one pick eliminated a show, we would run out of shows.

Hello there captain hyperbole!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:44 PM   #302
wade moore
lolzcat

fwiw - I think both ways of doing it are good games, just different. I probably would have made the show get eliminated, but like I said there is interesting strategy here as well.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 01-15-2009, 07:44 PM   #303
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
FWIW, I think the game is infinitely easier then. It makes it less interesting when it comes down to making your team since we could all have potentially super-star teams.

As does expanding to all shows, not just sitcom family shows. It seems to no longer be just sitcoms, and not be only "family" shows. Basically you can pick from any tv show that ever aired and the only thing that can be blocked is an actor/actress/voice artist.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #304
RendeR
Coordinator

I had thought of lasie, but then thinking about the specifics of the game I decided lassie wasn't a comedy so I left him off my list. I did think of a pet though and I'm doubting anyone else thinks of this one but I'll have to wait and see.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:46 PM   #305
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I had thought of lasie, but then thinking about the specifics of the game I decided lassie wasn't a comedy so I left him off my list. I did think of a pet though and I'm doubting anyone else thinks of this one but I'll have to wait and see.

This got changed from a "Sitcom" draft to a "Television Family" draft before we started drafting. Comedy is irrelevant imo at this point.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #306
RendeR
Coordinator

Oh...guess I missed that point.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #307
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Yeah - it can cut a lot of ways. I worry that when you have someone from X show and so do 3 other people, does that hurt your roster for voters? It might - a risk I was willing to take here, but a risk nonetheless.

Hmmm....I think the contrary actually. I don't look at Theo as a risk at all, but more of a "hedging your bet" type guy.

One of the things I discussed with my wife was whether to draft on pure entertainment value, pure icon status, or general cohesiveness. I'm still a little undecided on which way to go.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:49 PM   #308
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
This got changed from a "Sitcom" draft to a "Television Family" draft before we started drafting. Comedy is irrelevant imo at this point.

Grrr... Missed that.

Ah well. I stand by my picks.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:49 PM   #309
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh...guess I missed that point.

Me too since the thread title is Television Family Draft and in the first post it still says sitcom.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:50 PM   #310
Raiders Army
Coordinator

dola, and if it's not a sitcom family draft, then Cliff Huxtable definitely isn't the first choice for Dad.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #311
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
dola, and if it's not a sitcom family draft, then Cliff Huxtable definitely isn't the first choice for Dad.
Yes he is.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #312
Danny
Head Coach

I thought it was sitcom family draft too.

Last edited by Danny : 01-15-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #313
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

hmm.. depends on what you are drafting for.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 01-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #314
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

If you're thinking what I think you are, you're still wrong.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #315
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Yes he is.

I disagree. There are far better fathers out there in dramas.

I think we need to pause for a moment and let Dr. Sak clarify this. Looking at the picks, I think most players thought this was sitcom only. How else would you pick Homer Simpson over XXXX? Or Stewie over XXXXX? My two cents, but I think that most people still thought this was sitcoms only.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #316
Tasan
College Starter

I'm here and I'm picking, just gimmie a second.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #317
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

I think we need to pause for a moment and let Dr. Sak clarify this. Looking at the picks, I think most players thought this was sitcom only. How else would you pick Homer Simpson over XXXX? Or Stewie over XXXXX? My two cents, but I think that most people still thought this was sitcoms only.

Did you guys read the thread? This was discussed at length.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2009, 07:56 PM   #318
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

So you punish the people that were actually paying attention when Dr. Sak changed it?

Old 01-15-2009, 07:57 PM   #319
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Did you guys read the thread? This was discussed at length.

I skimmed after making my pick. I got home from work and got a PM that the draft had started and came in to my make my pick. I had no idea this was no TV family draft.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #320
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
So you punish the people that were actually paying attention when Dr. Sak changed it?

Maybe some of us were doing other things. The first post should have been updated if it was changed.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #321
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Maybe some of us were doing other things. The first post should have been updated if it was changed.

The title of the thread was.

I can't really defend the situation here, but you can't change it at this point, I don't think. No matter what a group gets punished, and I don't think it should be the one that was paying attention to all the posts over the ones that just skimmed.

Personally I think Dr. Sak should have been more iron fisted and stuck to his original intentions (but you guys know I'm a jerk ), and barring that he should have updated the first post, but, ohwell. We are where we are and this draft will still be a lot of fun.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:02 PM   #322
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I really dont see what the issue is here.

If someone wants to pick a charecture from ER fuck it and let them. The voters will sort it out.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #323
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I really dont see what the issue is here.

If someone wants to pick a charecture from ER fuck it and let them. The voters will sort it out.

I think the issue is more that some thought they were limited to Sitcom characters because of the original premise, but Dr. Sak opened it up to non-Sitcoms at some point. They were picking from a more limited list than the rest of us.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #324
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Personally, I'm going to use characters from all genres of TV to make an awesome sitcom family.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #325
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I think the issue is more that some thought they were limited to Sitcom characters because of the original premise, but Dr. Sak opened it up to non-Sitcoms at some point. They were picking from a more limited list than the rest of us.
It's a little odd that one of the guys complaining about us not sticking to a strict "sitcoms only!" rule used the #2 overall pick on a character who's not from a traditional sitcom.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #326
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I thought I would have a chance to make my pick but I'll check in after dinner.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:07 PM   #327
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
The title of the thread was.

I can't really defend the situation here, but you can't change it at this point, I don't think. No matter what a group gets punished, and I don't think it should be the one that was paying attention to all the posts over the ones that just skimmed.

Personally I think Dr. Sak should have been more iron fisted and stuck to his original intentions (but you guys know I'm a jerk ), and barring that he should have updated the first post, but, ohwell. We are where we are and this draft will still be a lot of fun.

It will still be fun, and I'm not too worried about it since Sak is nice enough to run this for us. I would have preferred it was just sitcoms to make it more challenging, I might still stick to that with my own picks anyway.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #328
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Jesus Christ, Tasan, if you don't pick right now I'm going to drive to your house and poo in your mailbox.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:09 PM   #329
Tasan
College Starter

2-3 Montgomery Burns/Bad Guy - This was a tough one. The Simpsons offers up so many avenues, but I felt it was best used in Villains, since sitcoms have so few. This also eliminates a few "out there" late choices for other categories, since the voice actor, Harry Shearer, does many other side voices on the Simpsons.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:09 PM   #330
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
It's a little odd that one of the guys complaining about us not sticking to a strict "sitcoms only!" rule used the #2 overall pick on a character who's not from a traditional sitcom.

I don't see how Family guy is not a sitcom. It's animated, but it's a sitcom
Old 01-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #331
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
With the first pick in the Television Family Draft, Karl selects:

1.1 Mom-Lucy Ricardo, I Love Lucy

One of the biggest sit-coms of all time, Lucy was a shining light in the often dark wasteland that sit-com moms normally inhabit. She could pull off physical comedy, vaudeville nods, and musical comedy.

As hard as it was to choose, I felt this pick was necessary to take, because in the world of tv sit-coms, a good mom can be hard to find.

Quote:
1.2 Stewie Grifiin - Bad Guy / Girl / Baby

Stewie is a great sitcom character and is the quintessential lovable villain. Plus now the other good characters from family guy and some from American dad can not be drafted, so I have the market cornered on those shows . I chose Stewie over someone like Peter because in the dad category Peter is middle ground, but I feel Stewie is at the top of the villains. Plus, he is my favorite character on the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
1.3 Archie Bunker - Dad

Perhaps the greatest character ever created for TV. He was much more than the gruff malcontent that so often came through. Most people have some part of the character that they can either strongly identify with or know someone just like him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
After careful consideration, and in going with a more modern theme, we here at team DeTox have determined that there is no better best friend to a lead character then ..

1.4: Arthur "The Fonz" Fonzereli [Best friend]

Who doen't know the Fonz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
1.5 Cliff Huxtable - Dad

Gotta go with Cliff, one of the funniest and most likeable dads in TV history. My favorite Cliff moment is in the first episode where he teaches Theo how to live like a regular person, using monopoly money as an example.

Quote:
1.6 Alex P. Keaton (Michael J. Fox) - Brother
Alex epitomized the Reagan era and sprung Michael J. Fox onto the big screen in the Back to the Future movies.

It's sort of fitting that as the Cosby Show closes out with pick 1.5, Family Ties follows with pick 1.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
From his list Maple Leafs Selects:

1.7 Homer Simpson - Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
1.8- George Costanza- Best Friend

Best show ever.

Quote:
Dick Solomon, 3rd Rock from the Sun 1996 : Father

John Lithgow plays the commander of an alien survey team. While not actual relatives they take on the roles of a typical american family and the hilarity ensues. Lithgow is a comic genius and plays the campy Commander dorkmobile to the hilt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Okay i'm going with what I feel is a limited category with my first pick

1.10 Mr. Belvedere-Housekeeper/Butler/Nanny - He's the rock star of hired help. The show was named after him. How many of those are there? Plus, with a fairly poor supporting cast, he doesn't keep me out of many other good selections.

Quote:
1.11 Lassie - Pet - THE TV Pet. Lassie was on for 20 years and has since had various rebirths on TV and movies. Lassie loves her owners, saves lives, and to this day - many decades after her creation - is instantly recognizable by people of all ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
1.12 - Mom : June Cleaver, Leave it to Beaver.

2.1 - Bad Guy : Louis DePalma, Taxi.

Quote:
2.2 - Theo Huxtable - Brother - Like his father at the top of the 1st round, Theo is the model for his category. He was a well behaved son (most of the time), took care of his sisters, and gave Mom and Dad just enough of a hard time to create laughs. The scene mentioned above with Cliff and the fake money is possibly the most memorable Sitcom scene of all time, and it doesn't happen without Theo.

Picks so far. I have to say that I went back to page 2 of the thread and saw where Dr. Sak opened it up to all genres of television. I think the later picks got that but the beginning ones didn't. Needless to say, I don't have a problem with the draft so far but I also could understand anyone who has a problem with it being expanded beyond sitcoms due to the first post.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:15 PM   #332
RendeR
Coordinator

I'm sticking with the sitcom theme. If the voters don't like it, tough.

2.4 Kelly Bundi, Married with Children, Sister Played by Christina Applegate

Do I really NEED a reason?

Last edited by RendeR : 01-15-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #333
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm sticking with the sitcom theme. If the voters don't like it, tough.

Nice pick. I was gonna get her if she was still there....be that as it may, no sloppy seconds for me.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:26 PM   #334
RendeR
Coordinator

with the alacrity of the picks thus far I doubt we'll get to 3.9 anytime soon. later gators.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:34 PM   #335
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I remembered scanning the discussions on the sitcom discussion and thought to myself "How the f are we even discussing if a show like ER is a sitcom??"

I glossed over it and didn't think much of it.

Ah well.. that is my bad.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #336
Danny
Head Coach

I think many if not most were not aware of the change. Still, I guess it doesn't matter. I'll likely be sticking with just sitcoms myself. The voters can decide in the end.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:40 PM   #337
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I didn't notice, but I would have picked Cliff anyways.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #338
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I missed the change as well. I looked back in the thread, and didn't see a post where it said we were abandoning sitcoms. I saw some where he said he didn't want only family-based sitcoms to be in the pool, rather sitcoms in general as the pool.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:53 PM   #339
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I started out wanting it to be a sitcom draft then Wade went off about how sitcoms are 30 minute shows. I didn't want someone to pick a character from say "The Office" as one example, where another poster has a shit fit because The Office is sometimes an hour. So I took away the sitcom thinking that it could be from shows that are an hour just so that there wasn't that argument.

Honestly I just wanted this to be a fun draft. I love TV, a lot of people here do too so I thought it would be a fun idea. Now I am remembering why I dont like these things.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #340
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:

No sir, you most certainly do not.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 01-15-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #341
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I started out wanting it to be a sitcom draft then Wade went off about how sitcoms are 30 minute shows. I didn't want someone to pick a character from say "The Office" as one example, where another poster has a shit fit because The Office is sometimes an hour. So I took away the sitcom thinking that it could be from shows that are an hour just so that there wasn't that argument.

Honestly I just wanted this to be a fun draft. I love TV, a lot of people here do too so I thought it would be a fun idea. Now I am remembering why I dont like these things.

I appreciate you running this. I didn't mean to make a big deal of it, was just surprised. I think most of us are sticking with the sitcom theme anyway.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:58 PM   #342
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

2.5 Father- Mike Brady
Old 01-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #343
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Now I am remembering why I dont like these things.

Lol. I love these things to death but the one thing from previous drafts is that it has to be clear and unambiguous. Still doesn't prevent anyone from pulling an Imagine but while voters have the final say, it has to be clear to the participants in order to have the interest to continue.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #344
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

By the way...great thing happened in my class at the gym... we were doing dead lifts and the girl right next to me had her boob pop out. She didn't notice so I had to tell her...funny stuff!
Old 01-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #345
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Rules question: Is "wildcard" meant to be a free slot that lets you double up in one category, or is it meant to be somebody who doesn't fit neatly into any of the existing categories?
Old 01-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #346
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
This is why we can't do fun things.

Goddamn it people, why do some folks have to make a simple thing so damn complicated. The first two lines of the original post laid out in very clear terms what this was supposed to be:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak
Okay I'm a little bored and had some time on my hands so I decided to think up another draft to host on FOFC. There are a lot of TV Junkies on the board so I've decided to host a Sitcom Draft.

The rules are pretty simple, draft the best sitcom family, and see if the FOFC Community thinks that you have the best family. All judged by them.

The bolded parts are pretty damn simple and clear. A draft based off of sitcoms. The categories to draft were family members/friends/enemies/pets. Nowhere did it say only 30 minute sitcoms, nowhere did it say "limited to family based sitcoms".

Last edited by cartman : 01-15-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #347
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I appreciate you running this. I didn't mean to make a big deal of it, was just surprised. I think most of us are sticking with the sitcom theme anyway.

As long as the voters know it's not a sitcom draft, i'm fine with that. I specifically shifted my strategy when the label was changed.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #348
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Rules question: Is "wildcard" meant to be a free slot that lets you double up in one category, or is it meant to be somebody who doesn't fit neatly into any of the existing categories?

Someone who might not fit into a particular slot. I had a few other ideas for categories, but I didn't want to have too many.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #349
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
This is why we can't do fun things.

Goddamn it people, why do some folks have to make a simple thing so damn complicated. The first two lines of the original post laid out in very clear terms what this was supposed to be:

The bolded parts are pretty damn simple and clear. A draft based off of sitcoms. The categories to draft were family members/friends/enemies/pets. Nowhere did it say only 30 minute sitcoms, nowhere did it say "limited to family based sitcoms".

What we were referring to is that I guess on page 2 it was changed to all of television and not just sitcoms. I missed the whole arguing about 30m vs 60m shows, but I guess the result of that was the change.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:04 PM   #350
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
What we were referring to is that I guess on page 2 it was changed to all of television and not just sitcoms. I missed the whole arguing about 30m vs 60m shows, but I guess the result of that was the change.

I'm just incredibly curious where the confusion came in, when the ground rules were simple and to the point.