Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-13-2008, 04:10 PM   #301
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Cartman,

In order to get off the reserved/retired list, Favre has to do two things:

1. Send a letter to Goodell notifying him of his intention to return and play.
(GB then has to add him to their active roster and his salary comes on the payroll - they go from $30 million of free cap space to around $18 mil).
2. Show up to training camp on the first day once he is on the roster.

If Favre doesn't do both 1 and 2, GB can keep/re-place him on the reserved/retired list and not deal with it.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:14 PM   #302
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Cartman,

In order to get off the reserved/retired list, Favre has to do two things:

1. Send a letter to Goodell notifying him of his intention to return and play.
(GB then has to add him to their active roster and his salary comes on the payroll - they go from $30 million of free cap space to around $18 mil).
2. Show up to training camp on the first day once he is on the roster.

If Favre doesn't do both 1 and 2, GB can keep/re-place him on the reserved/retired list and not deal with it.

But since the NFLPA do not consider him retired, there could be a situation like a couple of years ago where McNair was "retired" by the Titans, and not allowed to visit the team facilites.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:58 PM   #303
Galaxy
Coordinator

Kind of funny...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8...Favre?MSNHPHMA

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-13-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:09 PM   #304
molson
General Manager

If Favre continues to act like an asshat I can really see the fans rallying around Rodgers if Favre ends up elsewhere, even if there's growing pains along the way.

Rodgers in '08 doesn't have to be as good as Favre last year or even as good as Favre on another team this year. He needs to show promise and not be a bust.

Last edited by molson : 07-13-2008 at 07:09 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:30 PM   #305
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
"We wanted to create a forum for fans' voices to be heard," Adam Rolfson, 36, told The Associated Press by phone. "I don't understand how you deny somebody that threw for 4,000 yards (last season) a starting position. I can think of at least 25 teams in the NFL that would jump at the opportunity to have Brett Favre be their starting quarterback."

Ooo, this could be a fun game. Who would NOT want Favre? Who is set for QB this season?

Green Bay
New England
New York Giants
Pittsburgh
San Diego (could be questionable, but I think Rivers is entrenched for now)
Atlanta (yeah, they're going to stir the Matt Ryan pot now all of a sudden)
New Orleans
Dallas
Seattle
Denver
Buffalo
Cleveland

Okay, he's clearly exaggerating at 25 Sure, there are several teams that would be happy to have him, but let's not get carried away...
Old 07-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #306
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Ooo, this could be a fun game. Who would NOT want Favre? Who is set for QB this season?

Green Bay
New England
New York Giants
Pittsburgh
New Orleans
Dallas
Seattle
Denver
Buffalo
Cleveland

Okay, he's clearly exaggerating at 25 Sure, there are several teams that would be happy to have him, but let's not get carried away...

well played sir...well played
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:34 PM   #307
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I really wonder if any of the favre-fans who want him to come back and start would be happy if he came back and started and they had a pretty good year and rodgers was traded away (or walked, whatever his contract status is), and then the team was forced to draft another heir-apparent-qb with whatever lower draft-pick they had, and then either had to start that guy, or go through this whole thing again??
Old 07-13-2008, 07:41 PM   #308
Galaxy
Coordinator

When does Rodgers contract expire?
Old 07-13-2008, 07:45 PM   #309
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Green Bay
New England
New York Giants
Pittsburgh
New Orleans
Dallas
Seattle
Denver
Buffalo
Cleveland
Indy will probably give that kid if their's one more year too.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:02 PM   #310
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I really wonder if any of the favre-fans who want him to come back and start would be happy if he came back and started and they had a pretty good year and rodgers was traded away (or walked, whatever his contract status is), and then the team was forced to draft another heir-apparent-qb with whatever lower draft-pick they had, and then either had to start that guy, or go through this whole thing again??

This is my problem right here, Rodger's future? He is in a 'contract' year. I would like to see Favre come back, but would kind of suck to lose Rodgers without ever knowing what he could do if he decides to walk away after this year. Although, the Packers could slap a transition or franchise tag on him I guess. I am a Packer fan before a Favre fan, easily, and this is kind of just a big fat mess plain and simple.

As for using a draft pick, they wouldn't really HAVE to take another QB. They took Brohm in the second round this year.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:14 PM   #311
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

good point - I forgot about brohm.

And I wasn't aware of what rodger's contract status was -- either way, it would suck to have him walk without seeing if he had any potential, particularly for one year of a will-be-40 y/o QB
Old 07-13-2008, 08:39 PM   #312
RendeR
Coordinator

Baltimore would foam at the mouth to get Favre. Talk about taking a last place team and turning them into contenders overnight.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:59 PM   #313
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Actually, next year is Rodgers's contract year, although if he doesn't start this year I don't see him wanting to stick around regardless of what happens.

You could be right, I don't remember for sure I guess....
Old 07-13-2008, 09:16 PM   #314
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
My prediction still stands. By not welcoming him back into the fold, every member of the Packers FO will see their careers in the NFL come to a screeching halt. Imagine being in your next job interview and explaining to an owner "Yeah, we had a super bowl calibur team, but I decided to go with the unproven QB and let the HOF walk for a 7th round pick" NEXT. . .
Thompson can't really go from a star GM who rebuilt the Packers so quickly with youth around Favre to pariah that quickly. Opinion in the NFL and even among fans appears to be swinging in the favor of the Packers -- I think every management team in the league empathizes with the spot Favre has put the Packers in. I think the sentiment will be, "Yeah, Favre really screwed you didn't he?"
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:10 PM   #315
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Thompson can't really go from a star GM who rebuilt the Packers so quickly with youth around Favre to pariah that quickly. Opinion in the NFL and even among fans appears to be swinging in the favor of the Packers -- I think every management team in the league empathizes with the spot Favre has put the Packers in. I think the sentiment will be, "Yeah, Favre really screwed you didn't he?"

Opinion is swinging the Packers way for now. The only way it lasts is if Rodgers plays like Favre. 500 pass attempts, 66% completion or higher, 4,000 or more yards, 25 or more TD passes, 16 or fewer INT's (one a game). List the QB's who have done that in the last three years.

I'll give you a hint, it's a really short list. It goes something like this:

Tom Brady
Brett Favre

Manning just missed it a couple of times, Brees threw a couple of extra INT's or he'd be on the list from last year.

5 Packers wins were by 7 points or less last year. In the 8 wins by 8 or more points, Favre had QB ratings above 115 in 5 of them and over 100 in two more. They won one game when Favre had an "average" game last year.

If he doesn't play like that? The Packers go 9-7 or 10-6 at best. Toughen up the schedule a bit like they'll do this year? Good luck boys.

Once reality sets in (and maybe it does come at the middle of this season), the front office and coaching staff are going to have to explain what happened to a Super Bowl hopeful team and why they are struggling to even make the playoffs.

Personally? I love the comment the team made to Favre. It's what any of us would love to say to the guy. You are a diva. Go home and shut up. Reality? Reality doesn't play out now. Reality is trying to explain to the fans why you are 1-3 on your home field and you've told a HOF QB coming off a pro bowl season to go to hell.

If Rodgers plays like a pro bowler, everything I've written above is worthless. Those guys will look like real men of genius. Anybody believe Rodgers is going to play like a pro bowler?

Didn't think there would be many hands.

Oh, one more thing. Let's say Brett comes in this year, retires next and Rodgers has a terrific year and hold his middle fingers to the team. Shucks. They have to use a franchise tag him. At worst they get two first round picks and they have Brohm if they do lose him.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:16 PM   #316
Logan
Head Coach

Respectfully Troy, I think you're being a bit hard-headed with your constant stance of all this "explaining" that will have to be done if Rodgers struggles. Like I said, while I would love to see Rodgers succeed, I hope we get a chance to see how it would go down, just for the entertainment value.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:25 PM   #317
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Respectfully Troy, I think you're being a bit hard-headed with your constant stance of all this "explaining" that will have to be done if Rodgers struggles. Like I said, while I would love to see Rodgers succeed, I hope we get a chance to see how it would go down, just for the entertainment value.

Hardheaded? It's an opinion. Maybe the fans and players will sing some lullabies to each other by the fire and be happy with 8-8 and a young QB who is struggling.

This is a win now league. I think those of you pretending the GM and coach will get a pass if Rodgers struggles is naive. You think I'm hardheaded. Let's see how it plays out.

FWIW, I don't want Rodgers to struggle. I want him to succeed. I want Favre to look like a jack ass at the end of the day. The Packers are probably my second favorite team in the league. (to the Broncos), so I certainly don't want to see them suck up the joint.

Problem is, I think he will struggle. I think Favre will play well, wherever he's at. You have a very tight window to build up a winner in this day and age. The Packers have a chance right now to win and go deep. I think they are throwing that away by proving a point to Favre. And yeah, I do think someone will have to answer for it should it happen.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:29 PM   #318
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I agree. I get a kick out of him telling us how all Packer fans, including myself, will feel though.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:34 PM   #319
molson
General Manager

Quote:

This is a win now league. I think those of you pretending the GM and coach will get a pass if Rodgers struggles is naive. You think I'm hardheaded. Let's see how it plays out.

Three pages ago you were sure that Favre would play for any team he wanted to (and get his release). The Packers have subsequently shot that down. I think you're really overestimating his popularity - and also the Packers fans' loyalty to their team over Favre.

Last edited by molson : 07-13-2008 at 11:34 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:41 PM   #320
Jas_lov
College Starter

The fans will support whoever is QB for the Packers this season. It looks like it'll be Rodgers and I think he'll do just fine. It's not like he's taking over the Miami Dolphins. Solid RB, great receivers and TE, good defense, and McCarthy setting up the gameplan. It's a winning combination. Their schedule is brutal though. People are getting sick of Favre and just wish he'd go away.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:01 AM   #321
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

You're right, it is a win now league. But it's also a league with a short memory and a remarkable ability (much moreso than any other league) to cut ties with veterans, even when some of them don't fall off that much.

Despite that, I don't think the supposed outraged fans and front office people all over the league will so easily forget that they would be basing this what-if scenario on a 39 year old QB being able to replicate a magical season he had when he was 38, which followed two pretty poor ones, especially for this legend. That's not even to include that this guy has clear issues with whether he can mentally and physically handle getting ready for another year, and his performance will still be a question mark.

If you took the hardheaded comment as offensive, I apologize.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:06 AM   #322
Galaxy
Coordinator

So if the Packers took Brohm in the second round in late April, it must of been clear that Favre was out of the picture at that point (depending to stay retire).
Old 07-14-2008, 12:19 AM   #323
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I agree. I get a kick out of him telling us how all Packer fans, including myself, will feel though.

I'm not saying how ALL Packers fans will feel. My rationalization is fairly simple. It's a 50/50 split now with Packers fans. (not my gut, but a poll mentioned in a Wisconsin paper)

If Rodgers sucks and the Packers struggle, I'd be stunned if 25% of the throw Favre out crowd won't turn into people who visit FIRE MIKE MCCARTHY websites regularly. Will some Packers fans stick to their guns? Of course they will. Just like how 25% of the Favre fans won't admit they are wrong if Rodgers leads the Packers to a 12-4 season and loses in the championship game.

I'm a little insulted you'd think I was speaking for all Packers fans. I'm not that naive or stupid.

Speaking of naive. . . The Packers have played their only card here. This is it. That Brett will be a member of the organization. Not necessarily a backup. He'll just play some part in the organization. That they'll pay him 12 million dollars to do this. You believe this? Please. Yeah, let's put their only hope, Rodgers, into an impossible situation. Sorry. Not going to happen. Favre won't be with the Packers if it's not as the starter. The team is hoping to deal him out of the conference. Favre holds those cards too. He doesn't like the team, he'll refuse to report and either retire or show up for the last six games to make himself a free agent next year. Either way, the damage has been done to the guys who made the decision not to take him back if the team struggles.

Bravo to the Packers for this. I love how they are trying to spin this their way now. And they are winning. As I've said from the start of this. . . let's see how well they do as this plays out. I think you're gonna find out they won't look nearly as good in December as people think they do now. Just a prediction on my part.

Last edited by TroyF : 07-14-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:47 AM   #324
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Not going to happen. Favre won't be with the Packers if it's not as the starter. The team is hoping to deal him out of the conference. Favre holds those cards too. He doesn't like the team, he'll refuse to report and either retire or show up for the last six games to make himself a free agent next year. Either way, the damage has been done to the guys who made the decision not to take him back if the team struggles.

I believe he has to report to the first day of camp to play, doesn't he? Favre has 3 years left on his contract.

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-14-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:16 AM   #325
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If Rodgers plays like a pro bowler, everything I've written above is worthless. Those guys will look like real men of genius. Anybody believe Rodgers is going to play like a pro bowler?

Real Men of Genius...

Today we salute you Mr Hall of Fame QB Trader

Mr Hall of Fame QB Trader guy

When QBs are coming to the end of their career, you have the will to change

Fan's are gonna hate you

You've seen the decline and the writing on the wall

You're old and we got someone younger

Montana, Namath, Unitas.. you've launched them all

Gimmee a 7th rounder

So crack open an ice cold bud light mister, and know that if you don't drink, you will want to shortly.

Mr Hall of Fame QB Trader.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 07-14-2008 at 08:17 AM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:20 AM   #326
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Indy will probably give that kid if their's one more year too.

Yeah yeah, I just stopped when I got a few beyond 7, there are probably others as well. Besides, I'm a New England fan, so I try to avoid thinking about him
Old 07-14-2008, 08:26 AM   #327
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Real Men of Genius...

Today we salute you Mr Hall of Fame QB Trader

Mr Hall of Fame QB Trader guy

When QBs are coming to the end of their career, you have the will to change

Fan's are gonna hate you

You've seen the decline and the writing on the wall

You're old and we got someone younger

Montana, Namath, Unitas.. you've launched them all

Gimmee a 7th rounder

So crack open an ice cold bud light mister, and know that if you don't drink, you will want to shortly.

Mr Hall of Fame QB Trader.

Love those commercials. Only one problem with this one. We don't have a QB at the end of the line. We have a QB who was one of the top 3 or 4 QB's in the game last year and one who led his team to a 13-3 record.

If this were Namath, Unitas, Montana. . . you'd have some upset fans now. Not nearly as upset as the fans of Favre are right now.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #328
Arles
Grey Dog Software

A couple things have come out in the Journal Sentinel that are fairly interesting:

1. It seems that Rodgers actually helped Favre learn the playbook in McCarthy's first camp and had a better grasp on the offense than Favre did early on (one reason GB started 1-4 in 06, while finishing 7-4 after the BYE).

2. McCarthy has completely changed the offense to better suit Rodgers. There's fewer 20-yard slants and more outs/crossing patterns to compliment Rodger's "WCO" skills. Changing it back would impact all the offseason and study work done by the team and throw a big wrench into the planning for some of the younger guys.

3. Two of Favre's favorite receivers (Franks and Koren Robinson) are no longer with the team - replaced by rookie Jordy Nelson, Ruvel Martin and two TEs that haven't caught a pass from Favre yet. Martin practiced almost exclusively with Rodgers last season with the backups and the rookies/TEs have only been working with Rodgers.

2-3 weeks ago (before all this went nuts), someone had talk with a "unnamed Packers official" about the chance Favre comes back if Rodgers got hurt in camp. He wasn't 100% confident because of the changes to the offense and how long it took for Favre to get comfortable with McCarthy's system in 06.

So, the reality may be that GB isn't 100% sure Favre will be better than Rodgers in a changed system, with new WRs and Favre coming off an offseason with little work with the team. I'm inclined to agree (esp with Favre at 39 years old). If I were a Packer official, I think there would be a big risk if Favre comes to camp, gets most of the reps to get prepared, then is ineffective (gets hurt?), forces a trade in camp or decides to retire again because of the "grind". Now, GB is forced to go into the season with Rodgers as the starter and him not even getting most of the reps in camp.

Last edited by Arles : 07-14-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:57 AM   #329
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
This should be interesting. On Saturday, the Packers will hold their Hall of Fame banquet. One of the presenters will be Brett Favre.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...SFRONTCAROUSEL
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:01 AM   #330
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Arles' point is interesting about the WCO and McCarthy. When he was offensive coordinator of the Saints, he ran a West Coast Offense. I wonder if part of this whole thing is that, regardless of who is better between Favre and Rogers, McCarthy likes Rogers better because Rogers can better run the system that McCarthy prefers.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:30 AM   #331
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
A couple things have come out in the Journal Sentinel that are fairly interesting:

1. It seems that Rodgers actually helped Favre learn the playbook in McCarthy's first camp and had a better grasp on the offense than Favre did early on (one reason GB started 1-4 in 06, while finishing 7-4 after the BYE).

2. McCarthy has completely changed the offense to better suit Rodgers. There's fewer 20-yard slants and more outs/crossing patterns to compliment Rodger's "WCO" skills. Changing it back would impact all the offseason and study work done by the team and throw a big wrench into the planning for some of the younger guys.

3. Two of Favre's favorite receivers (Franks and Koren Robinson) are no longer with the team - replaced by rookie Jordy Nelson, Ruvel Martin and two TEs that haven't caught a pass from Favre yet. Martin practiced almost exclusively with Rodgers last season with the backups and the rookies/TEs have only been working with Rodgers.

2-3 weeks ago (before all this went nuts), someone had talk with a "unnamed Packers official" about the chance Favre comes back if Rodgers got hurt in camp. He wasn't 100% confident because of the changes to the offense and how long it took for Favre to get comfortable with McCarthy's system in 06.

So, the reality may be that GB isn't 100% sure Favre will be better than Rodgers in a changed system, with new WRs and Favre coming off an offseason with little work with the team. I'm inclined to agree (esp with Favre at 39 years old). If I were a Packer official, I think there would be a big risk if Favre comes to camp, gets most of the reps to get prepared, then is ineffective (gets hurt?), forces a trade in camp or decides to retire again because of the "grind". Now, GB is forced to go into the season with Rodgers as the starter and him not even getting most of the reps in camp.

Interesting post. Just for fun, lets look point by point:

1) The Packers did start 1-4 in '06. They did go 7-4 after the bye. That much is true. I don't know that it was really Favre though. The defense gave up 20 or more points in all of those first 5 games. Favre had 7 TD and 5 INT. After the bye, the Packers gave up 20 or more points 5 more times and went 1-4. They gave up under 20 points 6 times and won all 6. Favre had 11 TD and 13 INT in those games. This included 1 TD and 6 INT in their last 3 game winning streak. I don't think they improved because the offense did. They improved because the defense improved.

2) I can see this 100%. No question they made changes and a monkey wrench was thrown in. No debate on that one.

3) Franks and Robinson combined to catch 39 passes last year. Favre completed 356 passes. I think he'd be ok without those two guys.

The team is clearly betting Rodgers is going to be a solid QB. They are betting the entire season on this. Because with their schedule, if he has any growing pains at all, they don't make the playoffs. As I said in a post above, if Rodgers is the real deal, I'm a moron. (OK, I'm a moron anyway, but if he's the real deal, I've missed this big time)

All I have is my opinion. That opening Monday night game against the Vikings is on my must see TV list for this year. It's going to be a fun game to watch, no matter what happens here.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #332
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I'd love to see the Packers just release him and let him go wherever he wants and learn a whole new system. Didn't he make a big deal about coming back a couple years ago and wanted the same system in place so he didn't have to use new terminology?
Old 07-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #333
Logan
Head Coach

I'm liking that idea more and more. He has spent the last few years questioning his own ability to properly prepare himself to return to a team and a system that he knows. What's to say he'll be able to pick up something else AND perform at the level of last year, and not the levels of the prior two seasons? I don't think he can mentally handle it. He might also start worrying about how people would view him if he goes somewhere else and fails.

That's my official prediction: for a couple months, the Packers don't budge on making him anything but the backup. He campaigns for his release/trade, the Packers refuse because he is a bigger help to the team as a backup and insurance. Favre makes a threat, they finally say "okay, go find yourself a team and we'll comply." Favre then realizes how little time he has to learn a potentially new system and then retires again.

Last edited by Logan : 07-14-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:18 AM   #334
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Didn't he hardly practice at all last year?

Seems to me GB is the only team he could function in. If I'm another team I'd be wary of him mentally and bringing the circus to town that will come from his arrival. Not to mention on the field that isn't a slam dunk that he even throws more TDs than INTs.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:26 AM   #335
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Didn't he hardly practice at all last year?

Seems to me GB is the only team he could function in. If I'm another team I'd be wary of him mentally and bringing the circus to town that will come from his arrival. Not to mention on the field that isn't a slam dunk that he even throws more TDs than INTs.

Aren't there a good handful of teams that would welcome that circus? I have to believe that ticket sales would go way up for whatever team he played for. I don't recall Atlanta's QB situation, but could you imagine Favre going back to Atlanta where this all started?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #336
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Aren't there a good handful of teams that would welcome that circus? I have to believe that ticket sales would go way up for whatever team he played for. I don't recall Atlanta's QB situation, but could you imagine Favre going back to Atlanta where this all started?

Matt Ryan, face of the franchise.

Let's put it this way. If you are a contender I doubt you want to introduce the circus. If you aren't then Favre probably isn't going to be into it.

Tickets sales generally aren't a problem for most teams Favre would find viable anyway.

I guess Minnesota would work but is he really going to go to a division rival to "stick it" to the 50% of the fans clamoring for his return to GB?

Baltimore I guess but that's another case of a new regime taking over. They really want Favreland as their first season at the helm?

Tampa, now that might work the best of any of them but he doesn't impress me as a Gruden guy.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:06 PM   #337
Logan
Head Coach

As a Niner fan, I hope he comes to my team just so he can end up on his ass every play.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #338
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Matt Ryan, face of the franchise.

Let's put it this way. If you are a contender I doubt you want to introduce the circus. If you aren't then Favre probably isn't going to be into it.

Tickets sales generally aren't a problem for most teams Favre would find viable anyway.

I guess Minnesota would work but is he really going to go to a division rival to "stick it" to the 50% of the fans clamoring for his return to GB?

Baltimore I guess but that's another case of a new regime taking over. They really want Favreland as their first season at the helm?

Tampa, now that might work the best of any of them but he doesn't impress me as a Gruden guy.

Vikings - Tavarius Jackson or Brett Favre.
Bears - Rex Grossman or Brett Favre

Please. . . these teams would more than welcome the circus to town. As would a lot of other teams. I love how Favre has suddenly turned into a system QB who will fail miserably if he has to move. He's a QB who doesn't miss starts coming off an all pro year. And you think teams wouldn't want the circus? Get real.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #339
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Vikings - Tavarius Jackson or Brett Favre.
Bears - Rex Grossman or Brett Favre

Please. . . these teams would more than welcome the circus to town. As would a lot of other teams. I love how Favre has suddenly turned into a system QB who will fail miserably if he has to move. He's a QB who doesn't miss starts coming off an all pro year. And you think teams wouldn't want the circus? Get real.

I bet he puts up a clunker of a season given new surroundings out of GB. Sets up perfectly for him to suck as a Bear.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:36 PM   #340
Logan
Head Coach

Since when does "will have to learn a new system in an insanely short amount of time, much shorter than the amount of time that he has already publicly stated might not be enough to prepare for a system he already knows like the back of his hand" = "system QB"?
Old 07-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #341
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Over the last couple weeks a bunch of Packer players, including 2 WRs and a TE, have been on Sirius NFL Radio for interviews. One of the interesting things they have said that stands out to me is the comments on Rodgers' arm. They said he is throwing the ball as hard as Favre, and one guy said he thought Rodgers was throwing it harder. Maybe time has impacted their memory but I don't think that much. I don't think this has anything to do with picking Favre over Rodgers, but I think it plays into the system changes some.

And to guys who like to bring up the Bears as a team, division rival hatred aside, they are not good enough for Favre to want to go there. They are not the NFC Champions of two years ago. They are 3rd or 4th in the NFC North.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:41 PM   #342
Logan
Head Coach

Not saying it's not true, but I would kind of expect the Packers' players to say that sort of thing anyway.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #343
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not saying it's not true, but I would kind of expect the Packers' players to say that sort of thing anyway.

Maybe, but that is a little different then supporting the QB. I expect them to say things about him doing good, comfortable with the system, that he has been great building cohesion by hanging out with guys (which I heard yesterday and that probably does stand out since Favre probably wasn't doing much hanging out the last 8 years). Stuff like that.

Favre's arm strength and how hard he throws the ball has always been something that was talked about. Finger breaking and all. If they are going that far to build up Rodgers then maybe they need ease off the guy a little.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #344
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Favre to Fox News: Packers should let me play elsewhere

Associated Press

Updated: July 14, 2008, 3:08 PM ET

MILWAUKEE -- After avoiding public comment through weeks of speculation about his football future, Brett Favre is speaking for himself: He wants to play but doesn't feel welcome in Green Bay, so he's asking to be released.

Favre's first substantial comments on his latest retirement decision reversal come in an interview with Fox News' Greta Van Susteren scheduled to air at 10 p.m. ET Monday.

"I am guilty of retiring early and there is a reason for that," Favre said, according to an excerpt provided to The Associated Press. "And the major issue is 'Why did he retire,' and 'He asked for a release because he doesn't want to play in Green Bay.' That's not true. And I hope people are hearing this and saying 'OK, that clears it up.' "

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-14-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #345
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

This should be fun.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:30 PM   #346
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Fans to Favre: You're still under contract douchebag

Associated Press

Updated: July 14, 2008, 3:08 PM ET
Old 07-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #347
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Fans to Favre: You're still under contract douchebag

No kidding. Has he even offered to hand back some of the signing bonus in return for them cutting him?
Old 07-14-2008, 02:32 PM   #348
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No kidding. Has he even offered to hand back some of the signing bonus in return for them cutting him?

of course not (to my knowledge)
Old 07-14-2008, 03:05 PM   #349
Arles
Grey Dog Software

If you think about it, this is somewhat similar to what Barry did to Detroit when the Lions got part of the SB back. Now, it's a little different in that Barry was always welcomed back to Detroit as a starter (whereas Favre was only until April). Still, if you follow the accounts of what happened there. The Lions said Barry had to come back to earn his money and he just retired other than play there.

Now, I don't think that GB will be trying to get SB money back from Favre, but I do think Brett should study that situation carefully as Barry never played another down in the NFL after his demands.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #350
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I bet he puts up a clunker of a season given new surroundings out of GB. Sets up perfectly for him to suck as a Bear.

I think as a Bear he would be a failure due to their lack of weapons around him, but I imagine Brad Childress who has run a similar system could work it so he would do quite well in Minnesota where he'll have a ton of help around him.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote