Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #301
korme
Go Reds

I noticed that during exhibition games there is a array of '07 stats shown, things that come up on players stat lines like if Dunn comes up it says

.266 40> 91

> 4th in NL in HR

Does it ever do that in franchise or rtts mode? I'm 23 games into my franchise and nothing of that sort comes up.... it'd be disappointing if that was the case.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:18 PM   #302
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
I noticed that during exhibition games there is a array of '07 stats shown, things that come up on players stat lines like if Dunn comes up it says

.266 40> 91

> 4th in NL in HR

Does it ever do that in franchise or rtts mode? I'm 23 games into my franchise and nothing of that sort comes up.... it'd be disappointing if that was the case.

Yes, those same stat lines come up in RTTS mode. They also throw in stuff like hitting streaks in addition to the league rankings you mention.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #303
Calis
College Starter

Quick question that I'm sure is in the manual but I can't risk it not being in there and wasting all that time.

What benefits exactly do you gain from reaching your advancement goals? I'm wondering if they're worth it because my pitcher is getting some that I'd never put points into on my own, like bunting and fielding. In my first year, and I want to focus on my pitches and pitching, but I wondered do you get bonus points for this? Or does it just make your team happier with you and more likely to promote you?(What I'm thinking)

Just curious if I should waste my points or not.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:14 PM   #304
korme
Go Reds

I completely ignored the advancement goals and got my SP to the bigs by the time he was 21- it seems every week the goal was to get a .992 field pct and improve his fielding, and sorry but no I'm not wasting time with that when 1 error messes everything up.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:18 AM   #305
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
Quick question that I'm sure is in the manual but I can't risk it not being in there and wasting all that time.

What benefits exactly do you gain from reaching your advancement goals? I'm wondering if they're worth it because my pitcher is getting some that I'd never put points into on my own, like bunting and fielding. In my first year, and I want to focus on my pitches and pitching, but I wondered do you get bonus points for this? Or does it just make your team happier with you and more likely to promote you?(What I'm thinking)

Just curious if I should waste my points or not.

Yes, it makes your team happier with your performance and more likely to promote you. You'll get to the majors much quicker by fulfilling the goals set forth, but it's not a requirement as you'll eventually put up good enough stats that they have no choice but to promote you.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:25 AM   #306
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Just checked the Metacritic scores as the reviews continue to come in. Metacritic score for the game is 86 with 9 out of the 12 reviews giving a score of 85 or higher. Rarely do yearly sports franchises eclipse a score of 90 on Metacritic due to their repetitive nature, so an 86 is awfully good.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:16 PM   #307
Atocep
Coordinator

Broke down and picked up a PS3 since the format war is over now. This game was a must have for me and I have to say I'm thoroughly impressed thus far. Great game.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:19 PM   #308
JS19
College Prospect

Just curious, how often do you guys/gals use the power swing, and what kind of results do you see? I use it maybe 3 times a game, am I not utilizing this feature enough?
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:21 PM   #309
korme
Go Reds

I use it only when I guess pitch/location combo, and only if I've got a power hitter up. If I am using Freddy Sanchez of the Pirates, I don't use it at all, but if I'm using Richie Sexson, I use it.

Also, it depends on the situation. I'm more likely going to utilize it if there are 2 outs, and nobody on base.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:04 AM   #310
SackAttack
Head Coach

I've used it maybe three times but only when I guess both pitch and location.

My sole HR has been off a standard swing that I just timed, though.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:24 AM   #311
Icy
Pro Starter

I use it only on batters counts, like 2-0, 3-0, 3-1 but i'm not good with it, i get more HR's with he contact button than with the power.

Last edited by Icy : 03-12-2008 at 04:25 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:37 AM   #312
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I hit a game-winning solo shot in extra innings with the power button. Other than that one time though, I mostly seem to top off little ground balls to third with it.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:47 AM   #313
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Just curious, how often do you guys/gals use the power swing, and what kind of results do you see? I use it maybe 3 times a game, am I not utilizing this feature enough?

Not too often. While it can produce a homerun if you have locked onto a pitch and location, it's a much higher risk/reward than the contact swing. I generally only use the power swing when I'm in a situation where a long ball is a must and I've locked in on a pitch. Even an average to good power hitter can get the ball out with a contact swing as long as you pull the ball down the line. Occasionally, you can get it out in the power alleys as well with a contact swing.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:56 AM   #314
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I was all kinds of fired up last night when they played 'Sweep the Leg' as I headed to the batter's box. I'm considering heading to the jukebox options and unchecking every song except that one. Much like a WWE wrestler, I want my own entry music to be 'Sweep the Leg'.

Played quite a bit more RTTS last night. Learned some more about the goals and training points. On my first set of goals, I only succeed on one of the 5 goals. I immediately got an e-mail from the coach with the subject "You've been warned.". Basically, he was none too happy that I had not completed most of my goals. On my second set of goals, I managed to successfully complete all 5 goals. I got an e-mail from the manager saying "You're almost there.". He said that my performance was very good and that another good round would get me into AAA.

I also got a welcome positive result after one of my games. I had just stolen my 25th base. When I returned to the menus after the game, I saw that I received 50 training points for getting to 25 stolen bases. I'm not sure if this was in last year's game (since you could never see the reasons for your point totals), but it's nice to see that you get additional training points for big achievements like that.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:31 PM   #315
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Played unranked online, my first online game. Jake Peavy for me

9 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 22 K
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:39 PM   #316
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I also got a welcome positive result after one of my games. I had just stolen my 25th base. When I returned to the menus after the game, I saw that I received 50 training points for getting to 25 stolen bases. I'm not sure if this was in last year's game (since you could never see the reasons for your point totals), but it's nice to see that you get additional training points for big achievements like that.

Do your best to make it to the AA All-Star game for a really nice point boost!
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #317
rowech
Pro Starter

I'm contemplating buying a PS3, mostly for Blue Ray but this game has me intrigued. Those of you who have both MLB 2k8 (on 360 if possible) and this one, is it a massive difference between the two? Or is this game, better but only by a small margin.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:05 PM   #318
SackAttack
Head Coach

I think I want to do the league thing.

Call me a masochist.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:07 PM   #319
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post

Call me a masochist.

I'd be down.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:37 PM   #320
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Call me a masochist.

FYI.....the guys over at Sports Gamer Blog (http://www.sportsgamerblog.com/) are starting up a league.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:39 PM   #321
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I'm contemplating buying a PS3, mostly for Blue Ray but this game has me intrigued. Those of you who have both MLB 2k8 (on 360 if possible) and this one, is it a massive difference between the two? Or is this game, better but only by a small margin.

I doubt you'll find anyone with both games. It's usually an either/or proposition.

Metacritic currently has an average score of 86 for The Show and 68 for 2K8.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:40 PM   #322
korme
Go Reds

Id be dizzown
Old 03-13-2008, 08:40 PM   #323
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
FYI.....the guys over at Sports Gamer Blog (http://www.sportsgamerblog.com/) are starting up a league.

Think I'd prefer to assemble one from FOFCers if at all possible.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:06 PM   #324
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:

Call me a masochist.

I'm down.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:53 AM   #325
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104 View Post
Do your best to make it to the AA All-Star game for a really nice point boost!

Yes, Yes it is.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:55 AM   #326
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Yes, Yes it is.

How much do you get for it?????
Old 03-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #327
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
How much do you get for it?????

I think it's around a flat 400 just for playing isn't? I've never paid attention to it specifically but I always send to end up with mid to high 400's in points after so it has to be close.

Great boost.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #328
TroyF
Coordinator

For making the all star game you get 250 points. You also get credit for anything you do in the game itself.

For the most part, I'm following a majority of the goals set forth, but there are certain ones I just don't give a damn about. For example my last set of goals included three "attribute" goals. Improve contact vs. LHP. Improve plate discipline. Improve bunting.

I'm a power hitting left fielder. Screw improving the bunting. I didn't even try, but hit most of the other goals and was told good job.

I've bee tweaking the pitch speed and how I use the guess pitch feature to get realistic results for me. (both with number of balls pulled as well as K/BB) I'm still trying to find the happy medium, but I'm getting close.

I'm ok with every part of the career mode until I hit a lead off single. I almost want to get picked off rather than watch 3 x 8 pitch at bats. It's boring, unnecessary and there aren't any real rewards for it. If they are going to make me play though the ridiculous mode of running my station to station batter on the bases, at least reward me when I do something well. Like tag up from second on a long fly ball or make it to third on a passed ball. As it is, it's painful. Typically a leadoff single means I spend over 5 minutes on the basepaths. (I'm not exaggerating, it's truly painful for me)

Still, it's the best career mode in all of video game sports.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #329
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
For making the all star game you get 250 points. You also get credit for anything you do in the game itself.

For the most part, I'm following a majority of the goals set forth, but there are certain ones I just don't give a damn about. For example my last set of goals included three "attribute" goals. Improve contact vs. LHP. Improve plate discipline. Improve bunting.

I'm a power hitting left fielder. Screw improving the bunting. I didn't even try, but hit most of the other goals and was told good job.

I've bee tweaking the pitch speed and how I use the guess pitch feature to get realistic results for me. (both with number of balls pulled as well as K/BB) I'm still trying to find the happy medium, but I'm getting close.

I'm ok with every part of the career mode until I hit a lead off single. I almost want to get picked off rather than watch 3 x 8 pitch at bats. It's boring, unnecessary and there aren't any real rewards for it. If they are going to make me play though the ridiculous mode of running my station to station batter on the bases, at least reward me when I do something well. Like tag up from second on a long fly ball or make it to third on a passed ball. As it is, it's painful. Typically a leadoff single means I spend over 5 minutes on the basepaths. (I'm not exaggerating, it's truly painful for me)

Still, it's the best career mode in all of video game sports.

I steal pretty much every time I lead off with a hit.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #330
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Anyone up for an online game any time soon?
Old 03-14-2008, 01:18 PM   #331
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Named MVP of the Double A ASG with 3 doubles and 6 RBI. My guy is raking.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:36 PM   #332
korme
Go Reds

Detox, if you are playing right now, I will murder you online. It'd have to be soon though as I've got to leave around 5.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #333
DeToxRox
Head Coach

im playing my buddy so i may not have time but this weekend for sure.

DeToxRox on there, fire me an invite
Old 03-15-2008, 12:33 PM   #334
rowech
Pro Starter

Does the PSP version of this game have franchise mode?
Old 03-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #335
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Does the PSP version of this game have franchise mode?

It has season mode instead of franchise. The only difference is that in the season mode there are no hot dog sales, travel expenses, etc, but there is free agency, trades, etc etc so let's say is general manager mode instead of owner mode. In season mode there aren't full minors either, but a reserve squad where you place your minor players.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #336
korme
Go Reds

I think he's mostly concerned with advancing seasons, in PSP season mode can you go past 2008?
Old 03-15-2008, 01:15 PM   #337
rowech
Pro Starter

Yes Shorty...thanks...I don't care about ticket sales, etc. Can I run a team over a period of time? Some sort of fantasy draft feature?
Old 03-15-2008, 01:17 PM   #338
rowech
Pro Starter

Is there a season limit to the mode?
Old 03-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #339
Calis
College Starter

I'm really impressed with the variety of games I'm seeing here. I drafted a fantasy team and quick simmed through the season and just started in the playoffs. I had a pretty easy time in the first series, and then in the NLCS I had a hell of a series. I saw a little bit of everything. The first game I won 9-2 and thought from this game and the last maybe I needed to up the difficulty but the next game I lost 8-1. Then we had more of a pitcher's duel as I dropped game 3 by a score of 3-2, but I turned around and just annihilated them in game 4 17-5. Game 5 was high scoring for both of us and I lost 10-9, but turned around and won the next one 7-4.

I just finished up Game 7 with Johan Santana pitching one of the best games I've ever had in video game baseball. He went the distance, gave up 2 hits, no walks, and had 11 K's. I wound up winning a VERY tough finale by the score of 2-0 thanks to a home run in the 7th by Cust, who to give you a clue about my team is my star batter. I don't follow baseball very closely and have no clue who this guy is but he's been choosing great times to come up big for me so far.

I have an extremely deep pitching staff, rated #2 overall and horrendous batting which is rated 24th I think. I have a bunch of young guys though, so I'm hoping to play a lot more of the games out next season and see how they do. Ellsbury is a stud for me also, he's really coming through. I drafted Juan Pierre for speed and I can't wait to trade or cut this guy as quickly as possible in the offseason as he's batting right around .106 for me I think, and has just been completely useless.

I usually go for a pretty deep offensive team with one or two stud pitchers, but this time I went for one or two stud pitchers and a very deep bullpen. It's a fun change and opens up a lot of options.

I'm really enjoying the game. Not regretting the PS3 purchase at all.

Anyway, really enjoying the series.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #340
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Is there a season limit to the mode?

Not sure if there is a limit, i think so, but you can at least run 10 seasons with free agency, draft and trades included.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:03 PM   #341
darkenigma510
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
I think he's mostly concerned with advancing seasons, in PSP season mode can you go past 2008?

in 2007 you could go 10 yrs i belive...so i imagine 2008 is similar
darkenigma510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:04 PM   #342
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
I'm really impressed with the variety of games I'm seeing here. I drafted a fantasy team and quick simmed through the season and just started in the playoffs. I had a pretty easy time in the first series, and then in the NLCS I had a hell of a series. I saw a little bit of everything. The first game I won 9-2 and thought from this game and the last maybe I needed to up the difficulty but the next game I lost 8-1. Then we had more of a pitcher's duel as I dropped game 3 by a score of 3-2, but I turned around and just annihilated them in game 4 17-5. Game 5 was high scoring for both of us and I lost 10-9, but turned around and won the next one 7-4.

I just finished up Game 7 with Johan Santana pitching one of the best games I've ever had in video game baseball. He went the distance, gave up 2 hits, no walks, and had 11 K's. I wound up winning a VERY tough finale by the score of 2-0 thanks to a home run in the 7th by Cust, who to give you a clue about my team is my star batter. I don't follow baseball very closely and have no clue who this guy is but he's been choosing great times to come up big for me so far.

I have an extremely deep pitching staff, rated #2 overall and horrendous batting which is rated 24th I think. I have a bunch of young guys though, so I'm hoping to play a lot more of the games out next season and see how they do. Ellsbury is a stud for me also, he's really coming through. I drafted Juan Pierre for speed and I can't wait to trade or cut this guy as quickly as possible in the offseason as he's batting right around .106 for me I think, and has just been completely useless.

I usually go for a pretty deep offensive team with one or two stud pitchers, but this time I went for one or two stud pitchers and a very deep bullpen. It's a fun change and opens up a lot of options.

I'm really enjoying the game. Not regretting the PS3 purchase at all.

Anyway, really enjoying the series.

Join the FOFC league!
Old 03-15-2008, 07:33 PM   #343
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Join the FOFC league!

I don't think I can quite put into words how bad I am at this game. Not to mention how unreliable.

In further news, Jack Cust is now my favorite major league baseball player who I've never seen play after racking up yet another game winning shot.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:36 PM   #344
rowech
Pro Starter

Do you guys feel this game is worthy enough of buying a PS3? I'm debating about getting the game because it seems to be getting much better reviews than 2k8 but I'm not sure I can bring myself to go that far. The in-between would be to get the PSP for the game but I wonder if it's really as good. Thoughts?
Old 03-16-2008, 01:42 AM   #345
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Do you guys feel this game is worthy enough of buying a PS3? I'm debating about getting the game because it seems to be getting much better reviews than 2k8 but I'm not sure I can bring myself to go that far. The in-between would be to get the PSP for the game but I wonder if it's really as good. Thoughts?

If a great baseball game is reason enough for you to buy a console, then yes.

Is it, in general, a $460 game? No, probably not.

But if you're one of those people who will play a great sports title obsessively for months, yeah, you'll get your money's worth.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:29 PM   #346
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

What does "influence hit ball" mean? after i hit it should i, for example, move it right to keep it fair?

is field i hit it in purely based on timing, when i smash the contact swing button?
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:45 PM   #347
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
What does "influence hit ball" mean? after i hit it should i, for example, move it right to keep it fair?

is field i hit it in purely based on timing, when i smash the contact swing button?

I've been wondering the same thing. I remember glancing over that in the manuel, and I could be totally wrong, but I think it says something about using the right stick after the ball is hit, no clue how it's done.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:46 PM   #348
darkenigma510
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
I've been wondering the same thing. I remember glancing over that in the manuel, and I could be totally wrong, but I think it says something about using the right stick after the ball is hit, no clue how it's done.

I think its similar to MVP in that you can influence whether a hit is a flyball , groundball, hit to the opposite field or pulled...
darkenigma510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:57 AM   #349
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Okay, so I just picked this game up this morning before work and when I got home and loaded it up it's been sitting at the "retrieving license agreement" screen the whole time.

Granted when I shut off the PlayStation 3 and booted it up with my ethernet cable removed from the back of the console, the game loaded up just fine. But that means I cannot access the roster download nor the sliders that people are putting up.

Is it just me, or does everybody else have this problem? I sure hope it's not just me right now. I've been trying to connect since 12:30 a.m EST.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:28 AM   #350
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I picked up the PSP version and I like it a lot. I have no idea how to pitch, however. Can someone explain to me when I hit the X button? At the top of the arc and then again?

Also, any batting tips would be appreciated.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote