Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-07-2006, 07:44 PM   #301
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, Jake Peavy is a certified badass. Brian Lawrence is mediocre and injured- I forget where he went. Adam Eaton's also pretty mediocre and he went to the Rangers. And I'm not sure where Dennis Tankersley went- the Royals picked him up last season in the Darrell May trade, I think, but he didn't pitch that well in Omaha. Not a great return but you could make a rotation with the best pitcher in the NL, a pair of #3 types, and a couple of free agent signees, if you really wanted to.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:55 PM   #302
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Which is more than most teams. When they were talking about the great young arms of the Pads, it was pretty much focused on Peavy and Eaton (there may have been a third one, but I forget). Eaton just didn't meet expectations and in his place, we got Young, which many have said will have a better career than Eaton. Some blame the pitching coaching staff, esp. when we suddenly lost Dave somebody and had to scramble for a replacement. I think there is some truth to that but I would extent it to the coaching staff in general. Bochy has been there too long and Magadan (the hitting coach) sucks. But since Peavy is meeting or exceeding expectation, something must have gone right.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:41 PM   #303
Bad-example
College Starter

Bonds hit number 713 off the upper deck McDonald's sign in Philly.

Da da da da da...I'm lovin' it.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:44 PM   #304
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example
Bonds hit number 713 off the upper deck McDonald's sign in Philly.

Da da da da da...I'm lovin' it.

Must have gotten a hold of some roids before the game.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:30 PM   #305
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

re: Bonds' 713, I was flipping and saw Bonds coming up to bat, so I said, let's watch some Bonds for a sec. And WHAM... he mashed that one! That was highly impressive.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:19 AM   #306
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Hooray for the Rockies!

Indeed.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:44 AM   #307
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Must have gotten a hold of some roids before the game.

Old 05-08-2006, 08:37 PM   #308
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.radioandrecords.com/Newsr..._08/redsox.asp

Red Sox Move To WRKO/Boston

Major League Baseball's Boston Red Sox and Entercom Communications today agreed to a new 10-year agreement to return the club's games to News/Talk WRKO/Boston, which was the team's radio home from 1983-1994. The games have aired for the past 12 seasons on co-owned Entercom Sports outlet WEEI/Boston, which will air a limited number of "special games" under the new agreement.

As part of the deal the Red Sox also have an option — but not an obligation — to acquire a minority interest in WRKO at a future date. Further details were not disclosed.

The announcement ends what has been a well-publicized contest for the team's radio rights by Entercom, Greater Media and CBS Radio.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:57 PM   #309
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
http://www.radioandrecords.com/Newsr..._08/redsox.asp

Red Sox Move To WRKO/Boston

Major League Baseball's Boston Red Sox and Entercom Communications today agreed to a new 10-year agreement to return the club's games to News/Talk WRKO/Boston, which was the team's radio home from 1983-1994. The games have aired for the past 12 seasons on co-owned Entercom Sports outlet WEEI/Boston, which will air a limited number of "special games" under the new agreement.

As part of the deal the Red Sox also have an option — but not an obligation — to acquire a minority interest in WRKO at a future date. Further details were not disclosed.

The announcement ends what has been a well-publicized contest for the team's radio rights by Entercom, Greater Media and CBS Radio.

interesting. when was this piece from? cuz the guys on WEEI today were celebrating and made it sound like they had retained the rights to the games. I guess it's all under the Entercom banner anyways.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:07 PM   #310
Bad-example
College Starter

The Giants DFA'd Jeff Fassero today. He is reportedly considering retirement.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:07 PM   #311
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example
The Giants DFA'd Jeff Fassero today. He is reportedly considering retirement.

Good move. I would have been upset if we moved Hennessey or Wright over him.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:17 PM   #312
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
interesting. when was this piece from? cuz the guys on WEEI today were celebrating and made it sound like they had retained the rights to the games. I guess it's all under the Entercom banner anyways.

Was posted sometime earlier today (I was out all afternoon but it was posted when I got home tonight). I guess the WEEI guys were happy that they got to keep some of the games.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:13 AM   #313
Fouts
College Starter

Interesting.

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Five people linked to the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative were convicted of doling out steroids to elite athletes. But in an ironic twist, two San Francisco Chronicle writers who reported on the probe could end up serving more jail time than any of them.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:49 AM   #314
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
When they were talking about the great young arms of the Pads, it was pretty much focused on Peavy and Eaton (there may have been a third one, but I forget).

Tankersley was the third one. He either got hurt and lost his fastball and/or never developed his secondary pitches. I don't really remember, but he never panned out as a starter. They all came up at/around the same time, though Peavy was the youngest and flew through the minors.

I think to a decent extent, the Padres have just been unlucky. Every team can't do the shoestring budget thing like the A's and Twins and be successful. Aside from Peavy, the entire team has turned out to be a tribute to mediocrity, which in the NL west will get you in contention every year.

The good news is the White Sox were stuck in a similar pattern of mediocrity for years and with a few moves put themselves in position to contend for several years. The bad news is the other team that's a tribute to mediocrity is the Orioles, and they aren't getting better anytime soon.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:09 PM   #315
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cole Hamels starts friday for Philly vs the Reds. Time to see what all the hype is all about.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:10 PM   #316
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

As the Braves chase Dontrelle Willis from the mound (7-0 after three), I wonder:

Take a look at this roster
http://sports.myway.com/mlb/teams/fla/roster.html

And tell me how many names you actually recognize. My count is 10, and that's including a couple who are "heard the name" only guys.

FYI: The train of thought behind this question is roughly "how the hell did the Marlins get this bad", and I think I've found the answer.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:32 PM   #317
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sh...Interview.html

Sutcliffe Gives Incoherent Interview
By BERNIE WILSON
AP Sports Writer

SAN DIEGO — Rick Sutcliffe, a Cy Young award winner and ESPN baseball analyst, gave a rambling, slurred interview during the local television broadcast of the Brewers-Padres game Wednesday night.

Sutcliffe's microphone eventually was cut off. Craig Nichols, general manager of Channel 4 San Diego, on Thursday described the interview as embarrassing.

It was the second time in three weeks that comments during a broadcast at Petco Park drew attention. On April 22, Former Mets and Cardinals All-Star Keith Hernandez, now a broadcaster for New York, said that women "don't belong in the dugout" after spotting Padres massage therapist Kelly Calabrese high-fiving Mike Piazza after he hit a home run.

Sutcliffe, who used to broadcast Padres games for Channel 4 San Diego, dropped by the broadcast booth late in Wednesday night's game and was warmly welcomed by announcers Matt Vasgersian and Mark "Mud" Grant, a former big league pitcher.

The trio first talked about golf and actor Bill Murray, who was with Sutcliffe at the game. The conversation turned to Sutcliffe's daughter, who, the pitcher said, has been accepted to Harvard Medical School.

That's when Sutcliffe began to meander.

"She's on her way to Africa tomorrow," Sutcliffe said. "How about that? Over there on one of those missions, man. George Clooney — you been reading about all that, you been seeing that?"

To which Vasgersian responded with surprise: "George Clooney?"

"Yeah, he's up there with the Congress, he's trying to get everybody to go over there and solve that thing."

Sutcliffe then said: "I'm getting yelled at from Bill Murray in the back. I need to go. I'd much rather hang with you guys."

Grant thanked Sutcliffe for joining them.

"Mud, you're the best, man," Sutcliffe replied. "Anybody on Earth that doesn't like Mark Grant, they've got problems."

Sutcliffe then asked Vasgersian, "Matty, what are you still doing here in San Diego?"

Vasgersian tried to steer the conversation to baseball, but Sutcliffe persisted.

"No, no, no, Matty — everybody on Earth has been trying to steal you — the Dodgers, the Cubs, ESPN. What are you still doing here?"

Sutcliffe's microphone apparently was cut off then, because a voice in the background can be heard saying: "They turned it off."

Sutcliffe couldn't be reached for comment on Thursday. ESPN executives declined comment, spokeswoman Diane Lamb said.

Nichols said Sutcliffe "used remarkably poor judgment. I'm embarrassed. I'm embarrassed for the Channel 4 team, and I'm embarrassed for the viewers. They're trying to watch the latest win. This is all I'm talking about today. The focus should have been on that win."

Nichols said the station received dozens of e-mails and phone calls about the interview.

Based on Sutcliffe's background, "under any other circumstance, I think any other broadcast booth in the world would have invited him in," Nichols said. "He started talking about things that weren't of interest. It wasn't what we wanted on the air."

After Wednesday night's game, Sutcliffe and Murray visited the Padres' clubhouse.

When Sutcliffe introduced Murray to infielder Mark Bellhorn, who was seated, the actor hugged the infielder tightly and the two tumbled onto the ground.

"You were a Cub!" Murray said.

Sutcliffe won the NL Rookie of the Year in 1979 with the Dodgers and the Cy Young in 1984, the year his Cubs lost to the Padres in the NL championship series.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:42 PM   #318
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sh...Interview.html

Sutcliffe Gives Incoherent Interview
By BERNIE WILSON
AP Sports Writer

SAN DIEGO — Rick Sutcliffe, a Cy Young award winner and ESPN baseball analyst, gave a rambling, slurred interview during the local television broadcast of the Brewers-Padres game Wednesday night.

"Mud, you're the best, man," Sutcliffe replied. "I wanna kiss you."

Sweet .
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:53 PM   #319
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Matsui breaks his wrist early in the game with the Red Sox. X-rays show he's fractured it and will require surgery, to be performed tomorrow (Friday) a.m.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:24 PM   #320
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As the Braves chase Dontrelle Willis from the mound (7-0 after three), I wonder:

And tell me how many names you actually recognize. My count is 10, and that's including a couple who are "heard the name" only guys.

FYI: The train of thought behind this question is roughly "how the hell did the Marlins get this bad", and I think I've found the answer.

I got 11. Though the coolest part is they got a player named "Abercrombie". For his sake, I hope he's the heir to the dumbest store around that somehow can sell their crap clothes to clueless kids.

I didn't realize they brought up Nolasco... and this team is in my fav team's division. Heh .
Old 05-11-2006, 10:32 PM   #321
Terps
College Prospect

I count 16 names on their roster I know.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:35 PM   #322
JS19
College Prospect

Haven't been paying all too much attention to the AL this yr but I caught some of the Yankees, Sox game tonight. Nice to see Lowell is off to a good yr, he's was one of the guys i rooted for bc he never got the credit he deserved.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:36 PM   #323
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
Matsui breaks his wrist early in the game with the Red Sox. X-rays show he's fractured it and will require surgery, to be performed tomorrow (Friday) a.m.

/tk

I saw ARod tumble and come up holding his wrist, too. I was hoping they went 2 for 2, but I guess I can't have everything in life.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:54 PM   #324
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Something has been bugging me. I can't remember what they call the day when the teams play a day game (like Thursday) and then travel (to go back home or to go on the road). It's something like get away day?
Old 05-11-2006, 10:59 PM   #325
Ksyrup

That's the first thing that came to my mind.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-12-2006, 07:20 AM   #326
Butter
Coordinator

Ken Griffey, Jr.! Man, too bad that guy couldn't have stayed injury-free... if he had hit 40 homers a year the last 5 seasons, we'd be talking about him AND Bonds chasing The Babe right now.

Re: Sutcliffe... so what, a guy can't get drunk any more? Seemed like those comments were fairly innocuous even if coming from a fairly drunk guy. If being drunk on the air's such a problem, how do you explain Harry Caray's career?
Old 05-12-2006, 08:15 AM   #327
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
Ken Griffey, Jr.! Man, too bad that guy couldn't have stayed injury-free... if he had hit 40 homers a year the last 5 seasons, we'd be talking about him AND Bonds chasing The Babe right now.

That was probably one of the best swings he has had in 5 years. Oh what could have been.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:38 AM   #328
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin

/tk

saw it, the freaking Post's cover was the moment where it broke..

3 MONTHS. Ouch. and Matsui's one of the Yankees I like
Old 05-12-2006, 09:16 AM   #329
JeeberD
General Manager

OMG, the Astros won a game?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:19 PM   #330
kingfc22
Head Coach

Just think how many triples Steve Finley would have if he would have joined the Giants when they first went after him 3-4 years ago.

ATT Park is designed perfectly for his game. He hits a ball down the line in RF or into the RF gap and it's a triple every time it seems. He already has 7 on the season.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:45 PM   #331
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Hanley Ramirez seems to be living up to his billing.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:52 PM   #332
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Something has been bugging me. I can't remember what they call the day when the teams play a day game (like Thursday) and then travel (to go back home or to go on the road). It's something like get away day?

That's right. Getaway day.

Last edited by henry296 : 05-12-2006 at 06:52 PM.
henry296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:15 PM   #333
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
saw it, the freaking Post's cover was the moment where it broke..

3 MONTHS. Ouch. and Matsui's one of the Yankees I like

You know, I had the same thought. Not only is Matsui one of the Yankees I like, I don't think I'd wish an injury like that onto anybody. I was watching the game and just.....OW. I had sympathy pains for him.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:36 PM   #334
kingfc22
Head Coach

Ahhh, the sweet sound of "Beat LA" should help me get over tonight's Sharks game.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:31 PM   #335
Ksyrup

I remain confused about how MLB chooses which games to put on the Extra Innings package. Why the hell would the Giants game not be on, considering that Bonds is going for 714?
Old 05-13-2006, 10:35 AM   #336
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Ahhh, the sweet sound of "Beat LA" should help me get over tonight's Sharks game.

So ... how's that working out for you?

Code:
final - may. 12, 2006 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E Los Angeles Dodgers 0 0 3 0 1 1 0 0 1 6 11 0 San Francisco Giants 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 4 2
Old 05-13-2006, 03:27 PM   #337
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Cole Hamels starts friday for Philly vs the Reds. Time to see what all the hype is all about.

5IP, 5BB, 1 Hit, 7K's 91/51

The K's are impressive, but the Walks will have him in AAA before too long. Gotta get that command in line. All said, he would have gotten the victory if our pen would not have lost his lead.

Last edited by stevew : 05-13-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:08 PM   #338
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Go Pads. I hope this season they can play better in months not starting with May.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:49 PM   #339
Bad-example
College Starter

4 runs in the bottom of the 9th to beat the dodgers. Sweet.
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Old 05-13-2006, 06:40 PM   #340
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Leiber is perfect into the 7th.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:40 PM   #341
stevew
Hall Of Famer

nevermind.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:41 PM   #342
Arctus
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Leiber is perfect into the 7th.

shhhhhhhhhh
Arctus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:41 PM   #343
Arctus
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
nevermind.

see!
Arctus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:45 PM   #344
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I jinxed it
2 pitches into the first AB and it's over.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:47 PM   #345
larrymcg421
Head Coach

"Don't blame yourself"
-Jeremy Goodwin

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:25 PM   #346
larrymcg421
Head Coach

How much do I love Jeff Francoeur?

Old 05-13-2006, 11:33 PM   #347
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Greg Maddux stole a base?

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:36 PM   #348
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Greg Maddux stole a base?

Yep, and made a brilliant defensive play. Clearly he thinks he's Ozzie Smith. Too bad thet couldn't close out the win for him.

Old 05-13-2006, 11:58 PM   #349
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421
How much do I love Jeff Francoeur?

w00t! Good thing Damon is slumping or Francoeur would have been sitting on the bench. Go Chan Ho Go!

Quote:
Yep, and made a brilliant defensive play. Clearly he thinks he's Ozzie Smith. Too bad thet couldn't close out the win for him.

Ah, I see they were playing the Padres which means that Piazza was catching. If Mad Dog wanted to steal a base that'll be the right time to do it.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 10:04 AM   #350
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
"Don't blame yourself"
-Jeremy Goodwin

Excellent

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"