Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-14-2006, 03:32 PM   #301
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Lions Free Agent Frenzy Tuesday continues... The Lions have signed TE Dan Campbell to a 5 year deal.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:43 PM   #302
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Just heard that the Cowboys have cut Keyshawn Johnson. Hrmm... I wonder who they will get to replace him.

Oh, god. Here comes TO.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:46 PM   #303
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

My sources tell me that the Lions and guard Kevin Barry (Green Bay) and getting close to finalizing an agreement.

Also, Julian Peterson was made an offer, but Cleveland called and made a higher offer and the Lions are now considering whether to up their offer...

Will confirm later.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-14-2006, 04:04 PM   #304
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Oh, god. Here comes TO.

I'm with you Taz. If this happens, it's a dark, dark day. Keyshawn was fantastic for Dallas in his time there. I can't help but to think this'll be a big mistake.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:02 PM   #305
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Any Detroit People.

Is there any truth to the rumor that Mike Williams is being shopped for a 3rd or 4th round pick? Seems to make absolutely no sense whatsoever, but it's the second time I heard that rumor. Did he get some sort of "split bonus" last year and is still due a sizeable chunk at some point this offseason, cause then it would seem to make a touch more sense.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:15 PM   #306
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lookout Tom Brady. Kimo Von Ohlehoffen just signed with the Jets(3/9m).
Old 03-14-2006, 05:17 PM   #307
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Any Detroit People.

Is there any truth to the rumor that Mike Williams is being shopped for a 3rd or 4th round pick? Seems to make absolutely no sense whatsoever, but it's the second time I heard that rumor. Did he get some sort of "split bonus" last year and is still due a sizeable chunk at some point this offseason, cause then it would seem to make a touch more sense.

I haven't heard that rumor at all. The only Mike Williams rumor I've heard over the last few days is that he's out of shape. He was in poor shape pretty much all of last season and he's been packing on the pounds during the off-season. Obviously not a good sign and a concern apparently a lot of teams had about the guy: poor work ethic.

Even based on those reports, I would be stunned if the Lions were trying to move him.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:22 PM   #308
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I haven't heard that rumor at all. The only Mike Williams rumor I've heard over the last few days is that he's out of shape. He was in poor shape pretty much all of last season and he's been packing on the pounds during the off-season. Obviously not a good sign and a concern apparently a lot of teams had about the guy: poor work ethic.

Even based on those reports, I would be stunned if the Lions were trying to move him.

Maybe he's trying to eat himself into being a TE?
Old 03-14-2006, 05:22 PM   #309
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Maybe he's trying to eat himself into being a TE?

That was always the fear...
Old 03-14-2006, 05:47 PM   #310
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Also, Julian Peterson was made an offer, but Cleveland called and made a higher offer and the Lions are now considering whether to up their offer...

It appears as if the Lions decided Peterson was too rich for their blood... He goes to Celveland for 5 yrs/$30 million. (Need confirm with my sources...)

It looks like the Lions will continue to follow their plan of spending only on mediocrity throughout the off season.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 03-14-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:57 PM   #311
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, Peterson to the Stains is all but confirmed.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:58 PM   #312
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Lookout Tom Brady. Kimo Von Ohlehoffen just signed with the Jets(3/9m).

Bummer. I hate to see Kimo leave the Steelers, but I would have been surprised to see him get anything beyond a 1 year/minimum deal. Can't blame the man for getting paid.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:00 PM   #313
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Brett Keisel signs a 4 year deal with the Steelers. I'm sure nobody but the hardcore fans even know who he is, but he should be a nice fit at RDE in the 3/4 package. Always nice to see one of your 7th rounders blossom into a starter.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:14 PM   #314
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

driving home from work just now and I almost drove off the road when they hit the "Sports Flash" and started detailing all the movement. Guess the chips are all really falling into place! WOW
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:15 PM   #315
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
driving home from work just now and I almost drove off the road when they hit the "Sports Flash" ... WOW

Was it the Dan Campbell singing? I bet it was the Dan Campbell signing.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:47 PM   #316
Swaggs
Coordinator

Some Steeler news:

Quote:
the Jets gave von Oelhoffen a $3.2 million signing bonus as part of his three-year, $9.2 million deal.

Also, the Steelers sign a player I have never heard of before to become their starting SS: Ryan Clark from the Redskins. Any 'skins fans have impressions on him?
Old 03-14-2006, 08:54 PM   #317
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
I'm with you Taz. If this happens, it's a dark, dark day. Keyshawn was fantastic for Dallas in his time there. I can't help but to think this'll be a big mistake.

It's rare when I say this, but I agree with the Okie...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:15 PM   #318
mckerney
Coordinator

Vikings | Team changing uniforms
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 19:46:00 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports the Minnesota Vikings will be wearing new uniforms for the 2006 season. Steve LaCroix, Vikings vice president of sales and marketing, confirmed the uniform change, although he declined to say to what extent. "We are working with the NFL and Reebok on some exciting changes for the 2006 season. The process is still continuing, but we'll look to have an unveiling later in the offseason for our fans," he said.

Why?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:16 PM   #319
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

The Vikes have just decided to run with their image and go crotchless.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:19 PM   #320
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Was it the Dan Campbell singing? I bet it was the Dan Campbell signing.

LOL. nope. it was just all of them...Givens...Brees, Culpepper, etc. Seems like there was finally a ton of movement today, and coming from being in my own isolated little world all day it just shocked me.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:09 PM   #321
Mo.Raider
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports the Minnesota Vikings will be wearing new uniforms for the 2006 season. Steve LaCroix, Vikings vice president of sales and marketing, confirmed the uniform change, although he declined to say to what extent. "We are working with the NFL and Reebok on some exciting changes for the 2006 season. The process is still continuing, but we'll look to have an unveiling later in the offseason for our fans," he said.

Why?

They will be electric purple with a huge canary yellow Viking horn swoop down the pant leg and jersey reminiscent of the Broncos. Just kidding, I hate most uniform changes.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:09 PM   #322
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney

Why?

I hope they don't change them too drastically - despite my hatred of the Vikings, I've always kind of liked their uniforms.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:44 PM   #323
RendeR
Coordinator

It would be nice if their helmets and their jersies were actually the same color for once....
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:01 AM   #324
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
It would be nice if their helmets and their jersies were actually the same color for once....

...So says the man who likes a team with tiger stripes on their jerseys.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:36 AM   #325
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Latest out of Detroit is that Joey Harrington is finally fed up with his tenure here and will likely be asking to leave the team. Last week Mike Martz held a QB School for the current Lions' QB's (Shaun King, Orlovsky, and Harrington). Apparently, it didn't go all that well and Harrington and Martz didn't get along. Shocking, I know.

The saga continues. . .
Old 03-15-2006, 08:49 AM   #326
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Some Steeler news:

Also, the Steelers sign a player I have never heard of before to become their starting SS: Ryan Clark from the Redskins. Any 'skins fans have impressions on him?

I'm not a Skins fan, but since I'm in the DC area I've seen a lot of him. I think he's a solid safety but not an impact player. He'll probably fit in well with the Steelers Defense and is a legitimate starter as long as you don't expect too much from him.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 08:57 AM   #327
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Some Steeler news:

Clark will actually be at FS...but agree, don't know a whole lot about him. I recognized the name, that's about all. According to the Pittsburgh paper, they made Hope an offer to return first, to which he said 'No way', and then made the offer to Clark. Can he play the deep middle, because that is mostly what he'll be asked to do, with Troy being Troy.

Also...agree with an earlier poster at the amount of $ Kimo saw. I had him pegged for a 1 year offer from most teams, with he returning to the Steelers, all other factors being about equal. But, you don't walk away from the offer he got from the Jets.

Keisel should be solid...but, that leaves depth thin--unless you really like Travis Kirschke, which I don't.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:36 AM   #328
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

backup Packer QB Craig Nall is visiting the Vikings.

They should build a high speed train from Green Bay to Minneapolis for all the movement west by the players.....
Old 03-15-2006, 09:40 AM   #329
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Maximum customization.

-------------------------------------------

Old 03-15-2006, 11:42 AM   #330
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Here's what I don't get: why would the Texans draft Bush? Is Davis really that bad? I know he had a mediocre year this year, but their O-Line absolutely stunk. Am I missing something?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:45 AM   #331
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
Here's what I don't get: why would the Texans draft Bush? Is Davis really that bad? I know he had a mediocre year this year, but their O-Line absolutely stunk. Am I missing something?

Nope. And 230/976 4.2 is hardly a mediocre year when you consider he only played in 11 games due to injuries. Although 269 of that came vs Tennessee and another 165 vs the Ravens.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:46 AM   #332
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho

Because a lot of people feel Bush is one of those 'once in generation' or 'once in a decade' type of players, and you just shouldn't pass on that. The Packers passed on Barry Sanders and took Tony Mandrich, bad move. Some think passing on Bush would be like that I guess.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:05 PM   #333
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
The Packers passed on Barry Sanders and took Tony Mandrich

One of the great moments in Lions' history.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:41 PM   #334
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo.Raider
They will be electric purple with a huge canary yellow Viking horn swoop down the pant leg and jersey reminiscent of the Broncos. Just kidding, I hate most uniform changes.
At least one team will always be consistent with their uniforms.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:48 PM   #335
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

People shouldn't joke about uniform changes. I still get close to tears (of sadness) when I remember his thread...

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ckers+uniforms

Loren read it to me over the phone when I was on the road, and never told me it was a parody thread. I thought it was real for about 5-10 minutes. I was pissed.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:46 PM   #336
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
...So says the man who likes a team with tiger stripes on their jerseys.

Your point being? Our mascot IS a tiger after all. At least the main COLOR of our team is consistant on the uniform.

Minnesota's Jersey and Helmet haven't matched in color since the 1970's.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:48 PM   #337
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
At least one team will always be consistent with their uniforms.

Ugly, boring in the extreme, but if consistantcy is your thing, you can have it

EDIT: WTF is up with these nasty ass smilys?

Last edited by RendeR : 03-15-2006 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:49 PM   #338
rkmsuf
Head Coach

it's football. colors aren't supposed to match.

matching is teh unmanly
Old 03-15-2006, 02:36 PM   #339
Swaggs
Coordinator

Any Titans fans out there know what would happen with Billy Volek if the team goes for a QB in the draft? He was kind of considered a starting QB-in-waiting before this season. I wonder if a team like the Raiders or Vikings would be interested in him now.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:01 PM   #340
Travis
Pro Rookie

Seahawks resign Bernard to a 3 year deal and bring back Peter Warrick on a one year contract.

I think solid signings, though the Bernard one is a bit of a surprise. Figured he'd get a rich enough contract elsewhere to lure him away, but I'm very happy to see him return to the rotation with Tubbs and Darby. Should be a solid defensive line for the Hawks this year with the potential of spectacular if they can add a pass rushing end to the mix.

Warrick, well, likely a cheap signing and he should at least push the younger guys for the #3 spot.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:28 PM   #341
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Cleveland signs Willie McGinest to a 3 year, $12 million deal.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:34 PM   #342
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I'm not a Skins fan, but since I'm in the DC area I've seen a lot of him. I think he's a solid safety but not an impact player. He'll probably fit in well with the Steelers Defense and is a legitimate starter as long as you don't expect too much from him.
From ESPN Insider:

2005 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
S Ryan Clark
Grade:
69 | Key
Alert: None

Comment:
Clark is a very active strong safety. He is always around the ball or near the action. He is best versus the run. He has the ability to key and diagnose the run and seems instinctive when locating the ball. He is good on run support both outside and inside. However, Clark is a better run stopper than a pass defender. He does not have overall speed and quickness. He lacks change of direction and body control. He is stiff in the hips and does not have a smooth transition or ease of movement and he is not fluid on his back pedal. He lacks catch up speed coming out of his breaks. He is a much better player in zone coverage than in man coverage.

----

I had not read that scouting report before just now, but I would say it pretty much echoes my impressions of him. He is horrid against the pass and always seemed a step slow. That said, he is a big hitter...and he plays hard. You'll like him.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 03-15-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:36 PM   #343
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:00 PM   #344
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think New England is letting a lot of good system players leave. It will be interesting to see how they hold up.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:03 PM   #345
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

It's not so much that they let good players go, it's more that they haven't signed anyone and have only even spoken to a player or two. It's really odd, I'm not sure what they are thinking.

I think we can expect extensions for both Seymour and Branch, not sure what else they plan to do with that money. Even after that they are going to have a decent bit of cash this year.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:04 PM   #346
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
W00t!
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:10 PM   #347
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
My sources tell me that the Lions and guard Kevin Barry (Green Bay) and getting close to finalizing an agreement.

Will confirm later.

Packers re-signed Kevin Barry

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2006/03/15/1/
Old 03-15-2006, 04:15 PM   #348
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
It's not so much that they let good players go, it's more that they haven't signed anyone and have only even spoken to a player or two. It's really odd, I'm not sure what they are thinking.

I think we can expect extensions for both Seymour and Branch, not sure what else they plan to do with that money. Even after that they are going to have a decent bit of cash this year.

I agree that they are not letting any super-elite talent go, but I suspect if they continue to lose a lot of system players, there will be a significantly higher amount of execution problems next season. In particular, they are going to have to rely on a lot of unfamilar receivers knowing where to be on third-and-long plays next season.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:35 PM   #349
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer

Yeah, I saw that. My sources are beginning to prove unreliable. I am thinking of having them removed. . . permanently.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:45 PM   #350
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Well pretty much everyone was expecting Givens and McGinest(mostly due to Crennel and Mangini) to be gone after this season. There were some last second hopes with Givens, but that was about it. You think they would have at least looked at the other WRs and CBs out there. There were rumors they were targeting Jurevicius, either they totally botched that or he cut them off at the pass.

I just can't seen Vinatieri not being resigned now, I don't think he's going to get the offer he was hoping for.

Last edited by jeff061 : 03-15-2006 at 04:45 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote