Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-05-2004, 02:24 AM   #301
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I didn't get to see the Arsenal-Manchester United game, only read about it. Apparently, a whole lot of diving from both sides. A question for those who did see the game: was the Scholes challenge on Reyes as bad as some people are making it out to be?
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 03:23 AM   #302
3ric
College Starter

It was a typical reckless tackle by Scholes, he wasn't close to the ball and came from behind. He was lucky not to get a red card, but I think the injury to Reyes was more bad luck than a deliberate attempt to injure. When looking at the replays, it looks like the foot is getting caught in the grass under him when the body is pushed forwards, twisting the left knee.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:17 AM   #303
andy m
High School Varsity

arsenal were diving much more than united, they paniced. should have scored a couple early on and once they didn't they just got desperate and blew it.

and roy carroll is a better keeper than howard on recent evidence.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:36 AM   #304
daedalus
Pro Rookie

That's what I gathered (from a lot of the Arsenal crowd on BigSoccer) with regards to the diving.

By the way . . .

The Good Guys (that's Arsenal to the rest of y'all) will be taking on their evil neighbor in blue and their oil money (even if they qualified for Europe withOUT that big money and a major part of the team was wonderfully built on not a lot of money) tomorrow. ESPN2 will be showing it at 11:30AM PST. Yay!
Old 04-16-2004, 03:20 AM   #305
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Geez, Matthijs . . . you can't be storming the field in reserve games!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlin...297274&cc=5901
Old 04-16-2004, 04:50 AM   #306
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
Geez, Matthijs . . . you can't be storming the field in reserve games!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlin...297274&cc=5901
Daedalus,
our country is ashamed, this is one of the worst sports related events of the country of the past years.

Why does the game of football attract morons as fans?
Why?

:o
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 03:25 PM   #307
Katon
College Benchwarmer

The Player of the Year and Young Player of the Year shortlists just got released, so I thought I'd contribute my personal ballots:

PFA Player of the Year
1. Thierry Henry
2. Frank Lampard
3. Steven Gerrard

PFA Young Player of the Year
1. John Terry
2. Kolo Toure
3. Shaun Wright-Phillips
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 03:47 AM   #308
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon
PFA Young Player of the Year
1. John Terry
2. Kolo Toure
3. Shaun Wright-Phillips
But . . . but . . . but . . . KOLO!

All bias-ness aside, I don't think you can go wrong with Terry either. Good player.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:28 AM   #309
Katon
College Benchwarmer

My logic there is that JT's been the center of our defence all year long, and Toure hasn't had quite so key a role in your defence. Not to knock Toure - he's been one of the biggest reasons Arsenal have surprised people this season - but JT has been that little bit better.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:25 AM   #310
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I'd have to disagree about how key Toure has been in Arsenal's defense.

Can't disagree about how good Terry has been, though.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:44 PM   #311
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Oh, yeah . . . Chelsea-Monaco Champie's League dance is on ESPN 2 today (11:30AM PST).

EPL replay will be on FSW2 later on (1PM PST) as well. Of course, of ALL the interesting going ons in the league, they chose Fulham-Liverpool. Meh.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:02 PM   #312
daedalus
Pro Rookie

That was a bullshit red card. I've lost any and ALL respect I have ever had for Claude Makelele with his Rivaldo-stunt. He pushed/patted Zikos' face (depending on your perspective, I suppose) then when Zikos retaliated with a slap to the back of his head, he took a few steps before he realized how badly Zikos screwed up then he dropped to the ground like he'd been shot. That was a lame, lame piece of acting. For shame.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:11 AM   #313
MIJB#19
Coordinator

So, for the first time since very long (probably since the Ajax knockout games against Club Brugge) I sat out the full 90+ minutes of a Champions' League game.

Just when you start to believe in Chelsea('s way of buying a team), they manage to lose 3-1, despite 40 minutes of "powerplay".
Old 04-21-2004, 04:34 AM   #314
bhlloy
Coordinator

Way to fall apart by Chelsea, but give Monaco a lot of credit. They're very dangerous down the flanks and they can look mediocre for long periods and then hit you with a couple of quick breaks and it's all over - which is what they have been doing all tournament long. Giuly has always been one of the most underrated players in Europe.

Chelsea still have a shot but they must not concede a goal at home or they are out.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 08:18 AM   #315
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy
Way to fall apart by Chelsea, but give Monaco a lot of credit. They're very dangerous down the flanks and they can look mediocre for long periods and then hit you with a couple of quick breaks and it's all over - which is what they have been doing all tournament long. Giuly has always been one of the most underrated players in Europe.
Sounds like a good description of what I saw from Monaco yesterday. They're interesting. I hope they work something out so they can keep Morientes.

That was the first time I'd seen Giuly play. Interesting player and very impressive.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:48 AM   #316
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Sounds like a good description of what I saw from Monaco yesterday. They're interesting. I hope they work something out so they can keep Morientes.

They have financial problems (were about to get relegated for financial reasons last season) and they probably can't afford to pay his salary (right now Real is still paying 60% of his salary). He was brought in to replace an injured (6 months) Nonda anyway.
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 01:17 PM   #317
Katon
College Benchwarmer

I'm not going to bother to defend Makelele because he doesn't deserve it. Not only was that a dive, it was an embarassingly inept one. That said, I don't think Monaco deserve the moral high ground; Morientes was diving all over the place (albeit somewhat less blatantly than Makelele) trying to get Melchiot his second booking, and he should have gone for that kick on Parker.

Things are looking bad - and I suspect that CR just tinkered his way out of his job - but they aren't hopeless. I think Monaco have a fairly poor away record (can one of the french posters confirm?), and between our equalizer and half-time we were completely dominant. If we reproduce that level of performance for a significant portion of the second leg while Damien Duff is on the pitch, I think we'll go through. Our defense should be better off with Gallas back, especially if UEFA decides to ban Morientes for the aforementioned kick, and I can see us winning 2-0 or 3-1.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:11 AM   #318
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Monaco on the road?

2-1 win at PSV (Eindhoven) first group phase game
0-1 loss at Deportivo (la Coruna) was third game when AS were already 5 points clear from 3rd place
0-0 draw at AEK (Athena) was last game of group phase, AS needed a draw or better to qualify
1-2 loss at Lokomotiv (Moskva) was first game of ko-round
2-4 loss at Real Madrid was first game of ko-round
Old 04-22-2004, 05:56 AM   #319
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
Monaco on the road?

2-1 win at PSV (Eindhoven) first group phase game
0-1 loss at Deportivo (la Coruna) was third game when AS were already 5 points clear from 3rd place
0-0 draw at AEK (Athena) was last game of group phase, AS needed a draw or better to qualify
1-2 loss at Lokomotiv (Moskva) was first game of ko-round
2-4 loss at Real Madrid was first game of ko-round

True, but the 0-0 draw is the most important of these. They needed a draw and they got it (and AEK aren't a bad team)

I can see Chelsea winning on the day but Monaco are so explosive and one goal should be enough to put Chelsea out.
So... 2-0 or better is what Chelsea need. Doable enough but I just have a feeling it's not going to happen.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:13 AM   #320
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Actually, my additional comments were ment to underline that despite the relative poor record, Monaco got things done in the return games at home, or had an excuse not to be too concerned about the loss at Deportivo and the draw at AEK.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 04-22-2004 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:11 PM   #321
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I'm not going to bother to defend Makelele because he doesn't deserve it. Not only was that a dive, it was an embarassingly inept one. That said, I don't think Monaco deserve the moral high ground; Morientes was diving all over the place (albeit somewhat less blatantly than Makelele) trying to get Melchiot his second booking, and he should have gone for that kick on Parker.
I don't remember seeing much diving by Morientes. He did definitely kicked out on Parker but I felt like Parker had a part in that since I felt like he was kicking around Morientes' legs as well. I'm annoyed about Desailly's suspension, though. I felt like Morientes instigated that one by hanging onto him and I didn't think it was an "intentional" elbow, more of a "get away from me" one.
Quote:
Things are looking bad - and I suspect that CR just tinkered his way out of his job - but they aren't hopeless. I think Monaco have a fairly poor away record (can one of the french posters confirm?), and between our equalizer and half-time we were completely dominant. If we reproduce that level of performance for a significant portion of the second leg while Damien Duff is on the pitch, I think we'll go through. Our defense should be better off with Gallas back, especially if UEFA decides to ban Morientes for the aforementioned kick, and I can see us winning 2-0 or 3-1.
A part of me would be happy to see Ranieri go since I think having Ranieri for another year will help them, which in turns is bad for the Gunners. Another part would be sad since I'd like to see him get a legitimate chance to guide the team.

I'm kind of surprise the guy who used to manage Real hasn't been connected with Chelsea. He's used to pressure and used to dealing with superstars.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:50 PM   #322
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quiroz?

In a CM game I am playing now, Real Madrid didn't make it out of the group stage of Champions and is in fourth in the Primera Liga. Now that's pressure!

Quiroz is down to "Ok" reputation in my game.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:45 AM   #323
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Hey Matthijs,

According to a poster name rickbreese on the BigSoccer message board, Arsenal is coming to Amsterdam this summer:
Quote:
As I know there are a lot of Arsenal supporters in the U.S. who are also Ajax fans (im guessing because of Dennis), I thought you maya ll like to know that Arsenal have been confirmed for the Amsterdam Tournament this summer. It will happen after the pre-season tour to Austria (21st July to 29th July). The games are from the 30th July to the 1st August 2004. The four teams this year are Arsenal, Ajax, River Plate of Argentina and Panathinaikos of Greece. All in all should be a nice little extra from the pre-season tour. The first game have been announced and they are:

Arsenal v River Plate and Ajax v Panathinaikos

Because of the Euro 2004, I had said that I wouldn't of expected many of the first team to play in the games in Austria, but when they have been to Amsterdam before, it has been a mixture of new players and stars, so expect to see more of the same!!
I can't remember which team in Eredivisie you support, but it sounds like there should be some very entertaining football. Lots of talents on display.

Now, if only Wenger get to see and be impressed by River's Maxi Lopez like I was in my CM game (I've never seen him real life) and pick him up for the Gunners . . .

As an aside, apparently, Wenger might be rekindling his interest in Van Persie again. Supposedly, the figure is £4M this time. I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense as he's a very similar player to Reyes. Unless Wenger wants Reyes up front full-time and wants Van Persie as an understudy to Pires. But I seem to remember some grumblings from Van Persie about wanting to move inside. Now sure how that would work.

[We . . . Want . . . Van Der Vaart . . . Barcelona be damned. ]
Old 04-26-2004, 04:48 AM   #324
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
Quiroz?
The guy he replaced. Can't remember his name now.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:08 AM   #325
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The guy he replaced. Can't remember his name now.

Vicente Del Bosque

and it's Queiroz not Quiroz
Old 04-26-2004, 05:39 AM   #326
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Yeah, Del Bosque. Oddly, I don't think I have seen his name connected with any of the major clubs.

As an aside, the PFA came out with their Premiership Team. I don't know how good Vieira was this season but it would be hard to argue with the other 3. Henry is, obviously, Henry. I don't know if I would have gone with Van Nistelrooij or Shearer. I think the choices of Cole and Lauren in the back are kind of iffy, as dangerous as Cole can be offensively. A case could be made IF they had to have a right- and a left-back but they didn't seem so concern with positions in the midfield (with Vieira, Lampard and Gerrard). I would think that there had to have been better defenders in the Premiership. Perhaps Gallas or Southgate? I'm also not sure about Howard's selection. He was very good in the first half of the season but finished the season behind Roy Carroll.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:23 AM   #327
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

>He was very good in the first half of the season but finished the season behind Roy Carroll.

He's back in favour

I'm in tune with your comments on Cole and Lauren. I recently posted a similar message about Gary Neville not being a quality fullback. In response, omeone pointed out that he's probably the best English right back.

Of course, we're both right. He is England's best right back and he's not very good either

Incidentally, congratulations to Arsenal on their Premiership trophy. Fully deserved! They even did it with the style of football we used to see at Utd

Last edited by Mac Howard : 04-26-2004 at 06:26 AM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:12 AM   #328
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Hey Matthijs,

According to a poster name rickbreese on the BigSoccer message board, Arsenal is coming to Amsterdam this summer:I can't remember which team in Eredivisie you support, but it sounds like there should be some very entertaining football. Lots of talents on display.

Now, if only Wenger get to see and be impressed by River's Maxi Lopez like I was in my CM game (I've never seen him real life) and pick him up for the Gunners . . .

As an aside, apparently, Wenger might be rekindling his interest in Van Persie again. Supposedly, the figure is £4M this time. I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense as he's a very similar player to Reyes. Unless Wenger wants Reyes up front full-time and wants Van Persie as an understudy to Pires. But I seem to remember some grumblings from Van Persie about wanting to move inside. Now sure how that would work.

[We . . . Want . . . Van Der Vaart . . . Barcelona be damned. ]
Ah, the Amsterdam Tournament.
An annual friendlies tournament with Ajax and 3 other big name teams.
The four teams you mention even sound like a downgrade over the last years... (Even with Arsenal on site.)

Concerning Van Persie, I have a feeling people have been talking all the time and the transfer has never been really off.
Why?
Well, I have to be careful, but I heard from really reliable sources Van Persie never dropped Arsenal from his mind. He's been like either Arsenal or no transfer, but that's a public secret.:o
I've said too much already now...

And my club is FC Utrecht, knocked out for anything league wise this season a month from season's end, yet playing in the cup final for the third time in three years coming May.

Forza Utreg, Ole, Ole!
Old 04-26-2004, 11:09 AM   #329
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
As an aside, the PFA came out with their Premiership Team. I don't know how good Vieira was this season but it would be hard to argue with the other 3. Henry is, obviously, Henry. I don't know if I would have gone with Van Nistelrooij or Shearer. I think the choices of Cole and Lauren in the back are kind of iffy, as dangerous as Cole can be offensively. A case could be made IF they had to have a right- and a left-back but they didn't seem so concern with positions in the midfield (with Vieira, Lampard and Gerrard). I would think that there had to have been better defenders in the Premiership. Perhaps Gallas or Southgate? I'm also not sure about Howard's selection. He was very good in the first half of the season but finished the season behind Roy Carroll.

I'd have gone for Anti Niemi in goal. Howard is the best candidate from the Big Three, with Cudicini having been injured so much, but has definitely not been the best in the league. I'd also insert Gallas for Lauren (Gallas has played at right back for us a few times this year, and is much better than Lauren) and Bridge for Cole, though that last is at least partly bias. The midfield . . . well, Lampard, Gerrard, and Viera are going to be tripping over each other, but they have been pick of the league's midfielders by some distance this year. With Duff having been out injured, Pires is probably the best choice for the last slot.

Congratulations to Arsenal on winning the title. Going unbeaten for an entire season, or even 34 games of one, is an incredible achievement. That said, I don't think you'll repeat next year. You've been lucky enough to have all of your key players fit all year, while Duff, Cudicini, and Ferdinand - the players Chelsea and Man U had no replacements for - all missed large chunks of time. During the autumn, when all of them were available, Arsenal were no better than the other two. That sort of injury luck ought to balance out next year. Add in the fact that Chelsea will probably outspend them and add one of Europe's hottest coaches (Mourinho), and I can't see Arsenal as favorites for 2004-2005.

Great job this year, though.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:02 PM   #330
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

I believe we're also beginning to see a further consequence of the Bosman ruling finally coming through. Five years ago the received wisdom was that a club needed a squad of at least 18 quality players to effectively compete in the Champions League. But the soaring wages that have followed the ruling have knocked that on the head and 13/14 players (for all but Chelsea) are now the norm.

Utd supposedly have more cash to spend than other clubs but a visit to any Man Utd web site will see the frustration that fans experience because of lack of depth in the squad. When Scholes was injured early in the season, and now with him banned for 3 matches, there is simply no flair attack midfield to replace him. When Solskjaer needed an operation at the start of the season then Utd were reduced to just 1 effective striker, van Nistelrooy, for more than half the season and ,as a result, is now suffering a series of niggling injuries from over exposure. When Ferdinand started his ban the Utd defence went from the best in the league to almost the worst until the slowing recovering Brown regained his fitness.

Scholes, Solskjaer, Ferdinand - all crucial players but none of them have reasonable replacements in what is supposedly the richest club in the world.

I was first amongst those shouting for Alex to do something about it until I saw that Forlan was being paid over $60,000 a week. The guy isn't remotely first team material. I've got used to big salaries for the likes of Beckham and Keane but $60,000 for a third string player?

It could be that Utd are paying way over the top. Maybe. Or maybe this is the sort of money you have to pay these days to entice a player with potential into the EPL. If so, it certainly explains why a club can no longer afford to have a squad of 18 quality players.

In praise of Wenger - he has achieved his success without having the resources of other top European clubs. Perhaps he's merely ahead of the times and other managers are now struggling to catch up with his techniques of producing a quality team with limited resources.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:17 AM   #331
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

To a certain extent, I think you might be seeing the same thing as in e.g. baseball, where only the richest of clubs (i.e. the Yankees and to a lesser extent the Red Sox) can afford to pay for top players at most positions, and teams without that level of resources win by getting players cheaply on the upswing of their career, using them, and letting them walk when the price gets too high.
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 12:11 PM   #332
Katon
College Benchwarmer

You think Forlan is overpayed? Try Winston Bogarde, the patron saint of bad Bosman contracts. £40,000/week for several years and he's made something like seven appearances for us the whole time.

After looking a bit more carefully at the various teams' depth, I have to admit that Arsenal are actually just as deep as Man U. I don't think they're deeper, but they are just as deep. Still, Chelsea and Man U have both suffered a great deal from injuries this year while Arsenal haven't, and I don't expect that to repeat next year.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:30 PM   #333
Easy Mac

Tim Howard was named to PFA Team of the year.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 02:37 AM   #334
daedalus
Pro Rookie

What say we form a striker crew of Diego Forlan, Sylvain Wiltord and Emile Heskey?
Old 04-28-2004, 03:08 AM   #335
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
You think Forlan is overpayed? Try Winston Bogarde, the patron saint of bad Bosman contracts. £40,000/week for several years and he's made something like seven appearances for us the whole time.
Winston Bogarde...
You know, he's become synonym of overpaidness in the NLs.

Actually, with the absence of capable Dutch left backs, it's really sad to hear Bogarde is not playing and has basically now wasted his talent (I guess he never has been the same after that injury that hit him at Euro2000(?))

Boudewijn Zenden and Giovanni van Bronckhorst just aren't left backs and in the Dutch league, every good team has a foreign player at that position. And Wilfred Bouma has emerged into a central defender, while Philliup Cocu belongs in the center of the field.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:28 AM   #336
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Finally, the Van Persie transfer to Arsenal is official.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:15 AM   #337
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I'd also insert Gallas for Lauren (Gallas has played at right back for us a few times this year, and is much better than Lauren) and Bridge for Cole, though that last is at least partly bias. The midfield . . . well, Lampard, Gerrard, and Viera are going to be tripping over each other, but they have been pick of the league's midfielders by some distance this year. With Duff having been out injured, Pires is probably the best choice for the last slot.
Gallas would have been a deserving choice, I think. Perhaps Southgate is another? I wasn't referencing Lampard, Gerrard and Vieira so much because they did not deserve to be be on the squad but only that the voters did not seem to care about positions there - as all three are central midfielders - where I felt like they DID seem to care about it in the backline - the only way I can really see justification for Cole and Lauren is if you want a leftback, a right back and two centrebacks. I don't know that I would consider Pires a choice by default. By pure numbers alone, 14 goals and 10 assists is not a bad season. More than that, he's been a very big part of the Gunners' offense where it seems much of our goals come from that left side with the Cole-Pires-Henry connection.

I do have a question about Sol, though. Is he as good as his reputation or is he more reputation? In all the interviews I've read with him, I like him as GoodPeople[tm]. I haven't seem him enough to form a solid opinion about his game, though. (But I was happy with his performance during the World Cup.)
Quote:
Congratulations to Arsenal on winning the title. Going unbeaten for an entire season, or even 34 games of one, is an incredible achievement. That said, I don't think you'll repeat next year. You've been lucky enough to have all of your key players fit all year, while Duff, Cudicini, and Ferdinand - the players Chelsea and Man U had no replacements for - all missed large chunks of time. During the autumn, when all of them were available, Arsenal were no better than the other two. That sort of injury luck ought to balance out next year. Add in the fact that Chelsea will probably outspend them and add one of Europe's hottest coaches (Mourinho), and I can't see Arsenal as favorites for 2004-2005.

Great job this year, though.
Even if Chelsea don't do much spending (beyond, y'know, Robben and Cech), they already have tons of talents. Not even to speak of bringing back Forsell and Smertin. Cech provides strong cover for Cudicini and Robben the same for Duff (really sucks to read about his shoulder injury). I'd like to see a new right winger (hopefully NOT one who's married to a Spice Girl, that would make them too damn scary) or at least to see Cole be given a chance out there, but I'm not sure where that would leave Parker. The midfield combination of Makelele and Lampard is NICE. Perhaps Parker can be the guy who bounces between them two to give them rest?

I don't think Manchester United will be going anywhere, either. Howard will have had a year behind him. Ferdinand will be back. Brown will be further remove from his injury. O'Shea should be back in form. Fortune will hopefully keep developing. Keane, Giggs and Scholes will still be Keane, Giggs and Scholes. Cristiano Ronaldo will still flop to the ground (heh) but he'll also have a year in the EPL behind him and be stronger. Saha and Van Nistelrooij will have a whole year to play together. It's not impossible to think that either Djemba-Djemba or Kleberson will have adapted to the premiership by then. I'm sure Ferguson will also be making a couple of expensive signings. He'll have an assistant manager for a full season this time around. All positive signs (well, for their fans anyway), in my opinion.

But back to Gallas . . . he WOULD look good in the Gunners' kit if, y'know, the rumoured Samuel signing does go through.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:35 AM   #338
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard
I believe we're also beginning to see a further consequence of the Bosman ruling finally coming through. Five years ago the received wisdom was that a club needed a squad of at least 18 quality players to effectively compete in the Champions League. But the soaring wages that have followed the ruling have knocked that on the head and 13/14 players (for all but Chelsea) are now the norm.

Utd supposedly have more cash to spend than other clubs but a visit to any Man Utd web site will see the frustration that fans experience because of lack of depth in the squad. When Scholes was injured early in the season, and now with him banned for 3 matches, there is simply no flair attack midfield to replace him. When Solskjaer needed an operation at the start of the season then Utd were reduced to just 1 effective striker, van Nistelrooy, for more than half the season and ,as a result, is now suffering a series of niggling injuries from over exposure. When Ferdinand started his ban the Utd defence went from the best in the league to almost the worst until the slowing recovering Brown regained his fitness.

Scholes, Solskjaer, Ferdinand - all crucial players but none of them have reasonable replacements in what is supposedly the richest club in the world.

I was first amongst those shouting for Alex to do something about it until I saw that Forlan was being paid over $60,000 a week. The guy isn't remotely first team material. I've got used to big salaries for the likes of Beckham and Keane but $60,000 for a third string player?

It could be that Utd are paying way over the top. Maybe. Or maybe this is the sort of money you have to pay these days to entice a player with potential into the EPL. If so, it certainly explains why a club can no longer afford to have a squad of 18 quality players.

In praise of Wenger - he has achieved his success without having the resources of other top European clubs. Perhaps he's merely ahead of the times and other managers are now struggling to catch up with his techniques of producing a quality team with limited resources.
But is that really the result of lack of funds or bad luck in buying, though? I mean, Ferguson brought in enough players to cover those injuries but they just haven't seem to perform up to the standards needed to fill-in. Okay, admittedly it's a SMIDGE hard to replace a Ferdinand or a Scholes or a Van Nistelrooij. C'mon, they're some of the best in the world but their replacements can still try to provide adequate covers so that the team isn't completely down.

Wenger isn't immuned to this, either . . . Look at what he spent on Francis Jeffers. It might be possible to say the same for Sylvain Wiltord, although he has made contributions in some big games. Through bad luck and injuries, he hasn't gotten much production out Giovanni van Bronckhorst, either. (But I'm biased and I like the Gio so we'll skip that one.)
Old 04-30-2004, 01:07 PM   #339
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Gallas would have been a deserving choice, I think. Perhaps Southgate is another? I wasn't referencing Lampard, Gerrard and Vieira so much because they did not deserve to be be on the squad but only that the voters did not seem to care about positions there - as all three are central midfielders - where I felt like they DID seem to care about it in the backline - the only way I can really see justification for Cole and Lauren is if you want a leftback, a right back and two centrebacks. I don't know that I would consider Pires a choice by default. By pure numbers alone, 14 goals and 10 assists is not a bad season. More than that, he's been a very big part of the Gunners' offense where it seems much of our goals come from that left side with the Cole-Pires-Henry connection.

Oh, Pires deserves to be in the squad, no question. It's just that my entirely unbiased (yeah, right) opinion is that when he's fit Duff is the best winger in the league. I also agree with how odd it is that they've paid attention to the flanks in the defence but not in the midfield - though speaking as a Chelsea fan I can assure you that three central midfielders really is a viable formation.

Quote:
I do have a question about Sol, though. Is he as good as his reputation or is he more reputation? In all the interviews I've read with him, I like him as GoodPeople[tm]. I haven't seem him enough to form a solid opinion about his game, though. (But I was happy with his performance during the World Cup.)Even if Chelsea don't do much spending (beyond, y'know, Robben and Cech), they already have tons of talents. Not even to speak of bringing back Forsell and Smertin. Cech provides strong cover for Cudicini and Robben the same for Duff (really sucks to read about his shoulder injury). I'd like to see a new right winger (hopefully NOT one who's married to a Spice Girl, that would make them too damn scary) or at least to see Cole be given a chance out there, but I'm not sure where that would leave Parker. The midfield combination of Makelele and Lampard is NICE. Perhaps Parker can be the guy who bounces between them two to give them rest?

Well, if the rumours are anything to go by then your choice for our new right winger is between the guy who's married to a Spice Girl and the guy who Real Madrid thinks is Figo's successor. Personally, I'd prefer Joaquin, but that's just because he's never played for Man U. Beyond the right wing, I suspect that the new coach (Mourinho, preferably) will be clearing out some of our midfield, but I have very little idea of who's going to get cleared out. Well, probably not Lampard or Duff, but beyond them I have no idea.

Quote:
I don't think Manchester United will be going anywhere, either. Howard will have had a year behind him. Ferdinand will be back. Brown will be further remove from his injury. O'Shea should be back in form. Fortune will hopefully keep developing. Keane, Giggs and Scholes will still be Keane, Giggs and Scholes. Cristiano Ronaldo will still flop to the ground (heh) but he'll also have a year in the EPL behind him and be stronger. Saha and Van Nistelrooij will have a whole year to play together. It's not impossible to think that either Djemba-Djemba or Kleberson will have adapted to the premiership by then. I'm sure Ferguson will also be making a couple of expensive signings. He'll have an assistant manager for a full season this time around. All positive signs (well, for their fans anyway), in my opinion.

But back to Gallas . . . he WOULD look good in the Gunners' kit if, y'know, the rumoured Samuel signing does go through.

I think Man U's prospects for next year depend on how accurate the Van Nistelrooij-to-Madrid rumours are. If he goes, then I can't see anyone in their squad right now who could get into the Chelsea or Arsenal starting lineups. Well, Ronaldo could start on our right wing, but not if Beckham or Joaquin shows up.

My guess at what will happen if we do sign Samuel is that Terry & Samuel become the best centre-back pairing in the division, Marcel Desailly takes a much reduced role (sadly, his game seems to be lost to age), Mario Melchiot leaves, and Gallas provides us with backup at right-back and in the middle. Right now we don't have any good cover at either position, though I'd still take Huth and Melchiot over Cygan and whoever Arsenal's backup right-back is, if not over their Man U equivalents.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:44 PM   #340
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

I don't think van Nistelrooy's going to Real or anywhere else. I know it's fashionable to point out that Beckham was going nowhere also this time last year but there were clearly signs of problems between him and Ferguson that facilitated his going. It seems we have to got to a point now with the media that it's impossible to respond to rumours without the Mandy Rice-Davis response (he would say that, wouldn't he").

If he were to go then it would be for a very high price and I feel sure that someone of similar status would be brought in.

Van Nistelrooy's success as a one man strike force is over. EPL defenders are much more alive to his techniques now and I think Utd's attacking capability next season will come from the success of their new strike pairing - currently van Nistelrooy and Saha - and no longer dependant on Van Nistelrooy alone. For that reason I think he's not as irreplaceable as he has been.

It may well be my Utd bias but I personally think Giggs is streets ahead of Pires but it may also be because I can't get over those duck feet

Last edited by Mac Howard : 04-30-2004 at 07:48 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 10:13 PM   #341
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Tim gets his first medal. First American with an FA Cup winners' medal.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:05 AM   #342
daedalus
Pro Rookie

So Manchester United signs the ketchup guy (*cough*Heinze*cough*) and we respond with an aluminum (Miguel Alumnia, name stolen from Arseblog). Dude's spent the last two season loaned out from Celta. Meh. I would've preferred giving Stack/Taylor a chance and using the "credit" (Celta owed us money for Silvinho) on another player. Perhaps a Peter Luccin.

Looks like we're also chasing and getting close on Ajax's Hatem Trabelsi. Any scouting report on the fella, Matthijs? From what I've read so far: fast, attacking right-back. Sounds a lot like Lauren. Perhaps except for the "fast" part (since I wouldn't actually call Lauren "fast"). And, heck, if he has a remote idea on how to defend, well, then he'll already be an improvement on Lauren.

So to conclude . . . we signed an Aluminum and a Hatem. Joy. I'm still bitter about Gerard Pique. But we have Cesc. So . . . nyah, nyah! Ha!
Old 07-03-2004, 04:20 AM   #343
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
What I currently know about Mateja Kezman:

- He's scored something like 95 goals in the last four seasons for PSV
- Chelsea have just agreed a fee with PSV for him

MIJB, can you help me out?
So with Kezman on board, y'all are at: Gudjonsen, Crespo, Mutu and Kezman. Am I missing anyone? I'm not counting the loan-outs, Forsell and Cole. I'm guessing Kezman moves right into the lineup. I've heard Crespo is being offered as a season-long loan to a Serie A club. That leaves Gudjonsen and Mutu. What are your thoughts on them?
Old 07-03-2004, 04:11 PM   #344
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Looks like we're also chasing and getting close on Ajax's Hatem Trabelsi. Any scouting report on the fella, Matthijs? From what I've read so far: fast, attacking right-back. Sounds a lot like Lauren. Perhaps except for the "fast" part (since I wouldn't actually call Lauren "fast"). And, heck, if he has a remote idea on how to defend, well, then he'll already be an improvement on Lauren.

So to conclude . . . we signed an Aluminum and a Hatem. Joy. I'm still bitter about Gerard Pique. But we have Cesc. So . . . nyah, nyah! Ha!
Trabelsi?
fast - check
attacking - check
good cross - check
nasty defender - check
good marker - check
has to leave Ajax because he's too expensive as a foreigner and expendable with two slightly lesser options available - check
Old 07-04-2004, 03:22 AM   #345
daedalus
Pro Rookie

So you say he can defend? It's an upgrade!
Old 07-04-2004, 09:26 AM   #346
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Jim Spector is close to first team football at ManU, apparantly. For a young Central Defender to make it into the squad is pretty durned impressive; if he actually sees playing time, it's quite a coup.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:33 PM   #347
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
So with Kezman on board, y'all are at: Gudjonsen, Crespo, Mutu and Kezman. Am I missing anyone? I'm not counting the loan-outs, Forsell and Cole. I'm guessing Kezman moves right into the lineup. I've heard Crespo is being offered as a season-long loan to a Serie A club. That leaves Gudjonsen and Mutu. What are your thoughts on them?

Eidur's about as close to Dennis Bergkamp as you can get without going to Highbury. Same style of player, but only very good instead of great. He's been at Chelsea longer than any of the rest of our strikers and I like him a lot. Mutu had a great start last year, but then hit a major slump. I think we owe him a bit more time to see which part of the season was his real level, but he wouldn't start for me right now.

I have absolutely no idea what's going on with Crespo - lots of rumours, no facts - but he looked class last season when he was fit and starting, so unless he actually wants to leave I'd keep him. Even if he did want to leave, I might ask him to stay on until January, since there's a clause in Forsell's loan deal letting us bring him back halfway through if we want.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:28 AM   #348
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Arsenal signed a young French midfielder named Mathieu Flamini. Could anyone who follows the French league give me some kind of idea of what type of player he is and how good he is, please?

At this point, I would almost just about prefer that Vieira go to Real and be done with. Sacrilege, I know. But if he doesn't want to stay with Arsenal, then I don't really want him on the team. And, if he wanted to stay, I wish he would have just said something already. Of course, not without making Real pay the appropriate price. This 18M BS they're mention is pure crap. I hate games like that. Of course, I'd like it if the EU just bust their asses down for their debt and questionable relation to the government. That'd hilarify me (no, it's not a word . . . but it should be).

Two things about Sol being out: 1) I hope no Arsenal fan ever tries to use this as an excuse if the Gunners falter since few typically ever bring up Manchester United's situation when talking about last year, and 2) I like how the asshole reporters are putting in big, bold prints "Wenger blames England!" when Wenger specifically says that they tried to take care of Campbell. I dislike reporters. Though I'm pretty interested by the fact that Sanderos will now get a full fledge chance.

Sylvain Wiltord: STILL without a team. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha.

That's, ummmm, a lot of dough tossed about by Chelsea. Frightening.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:04 AM   #349
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Arsenal signed a young French midfielder named Mathieu Flamini. Could anyone who follows the French league give me some kind of idea of what type of player he is and how good he is, please?

Really hard to tell on how good he is, he became a starter for Marseille last season when Anigo took the job, from what I've heard he did a decent job as a Defensive Midfielder replacing Fabio Celestini (Swiss International).
Will probably to Arsenal what Djemba-Djemba was last season : a role player with potential.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:41 AM   #350
Katon
College Benchwarmer

I especially like Wenger's 'complaints' about the England medical staff because the head of said staff is Gary Lewin - the Arsenal physio. The man responsible for every single one of Arsenal's key players staying injury-free last season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsene Wenger
The injury was much worse than the medical staff thought in the English camp and if he was treated earlier he would have had a better chance of starting the season. A tendon problem is very difficult to detect unless you do an MRI scan and you can see how bad the damage is. But they didn't do one and that's why we discovered the extent of the damage afterwards.

A harsher slam on a medical team I have rarely heard.

Can you tell the newspapers are bored?