Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-19-2009, 11:56 PM   #301
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I found my basketball cards collection the other day...

Remember back in the mid-90's when Penny Hardaway and Grant Hill were pegged to be the future stars of the league... and then career-altering injuries sidelined their Hall of Fame-bound careers.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:55 AM   #302
Logan
Head Coach

I think it's actually pretty amazing that Hill has made such a comeback and is still around.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:54 AM   #303
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
I found my basketball cards collection the other day...

Remember back in the mid-90's when Penny Hardaway and Grant Hill were pegged to be the future stars of the league... and then career-altering injuries sidelined their Hall of Fame-bound careers.

If Hardaway's knee injury had ended his career instead of allowing him to hang on for 10 years as an overpaid joke of a player, we would remember him very differently.

After his third season in the league, he had already been to the NBA Finals and had twice been voted All-NBA First Team (not just an All Star--All-NBA First team. The best PG in the game). The guy was a 6'7" PG with a limitless future.

And, had it ended there, we would talk about him as "what could have been." Instead, we think of him limping around for 17 different teams at the end of his career, serving as a living example of why guaranteed contracts are great for players and horrible for teams.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #304
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

And I guess that's it for the Suns' playoff hopes...

Suns star Stoudemire out after eye surgery - NBA - Yahoo! Sports
Old 02-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #305
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
And I guess that's it for the Suns' playoff hopes...

Suns star Stoudemire out after eye surgery - NBA - Yahoo! Sports
The Suns are just cursed. From Joe Johnson breaking his face, to Amare's knee, to Raja Bell tearing his calf against Dallas to the Amare/Diaw suspensions - whenever things look up for them a catastrophic injury will smack them down.

I don't think you'll see Amare back with Phoenix next season and I'm guessing he goes fairly cheap in the offseason. If the Suns don't make the playoffs, they will be in pretty dire financial shape.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #306
Anthony
Banned

no one told them to move Marion for Shaq. they need to move Nash this offseason for whatever they can get, i'm talking KG to the Celtics kind of lopsided trade. but i'm not a Suns fan so i could care less.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:48 PM   #307
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
no one told them to move Marion for Shaq.
Marion was washed up - Miami found that out. The Shaq move atleast made the Suns relevant and he's been their best player this season. This team would be a complete joke without Amare and Shaq - atleast they have an outside shot at a 7-8 seed with Shaq.

Quote:
They need to move Nash this offseason for whatever they can get, i'm talking KG to the Celtics kind of lopsided trade. but i'm not a Suns fan so i could care less.
Nah, I'm not sure I want to pay Amare a max deal in the 2010 offense given the serious limitations in his game. I think moving him is the right idea, I just think the Suns will panic and get less than they should to save cash.

And I'd gladly take Al Jefferson and picks in a deal for Amare

Last edited by Arles : 02-20-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #308
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
I'm guessing the Celts court Mikki Moore hard! Joe Smith could still be released, but I think it would be risky for DA to wait on Joe, when there's a viable backup Center out there. I like Joe a little more, but I remember Moore terrorizing the C's when he was playing for the Nets, and he'd be better than the lifeless ex-C Patrick O'Bryant.

Then it's all about waiting for Marbury to get bought out and join the Celts. I've never been a huge fan of Marbury, but he'd unquestionably provide a ball handling and scoring backup pg that the second unit desperately needs. I fully consider Eddie a 2 at this point, and in no way a good fit for pg.
Mikki Moore has declined a lot the last 2 years. Joe Smith would be a much better fit if we can convince him to come to Boston over Cleveland (they have more mid-level exception money - something like 5.6m to 2.4m).
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #309
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I really want Joe back but I think he will sign with his boy KG.

I really liked the Wallace/Z and Joe/Andy pairings
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:11 PM   #310
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Man, nice start of Aaron Brooks's Houston career

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:02 AM   #311
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

SI

Huh? His Houston career started a year and a half ago.

If you're going for the "now that Alson is gone" vibe, you went too vague.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-21-2009 at 03:03 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:09 AM   #312
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

SI

When did he switch from the NFL to the NBA?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:50 AM   #313
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Huh? His Houston career started a year and a half ago.

If you're going for the "now that Alson is gone" vibe, you went too vague.

I forgot "starting" in there

SI

Old 02-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #314
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

celtics go boom. Ragin Rajan Rondo with 30 points...

If he keeps this up, we will actually have a Big 4 in Boston.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #315
Groundhog
Coordinator

On Rubio and the 2009 NBA draft:

from Draftexpress.com

Quote:
The news out of Spain last month was that Rubio's team DKV Joventut had unilaterally decided to double his salary on the year, from 80,000 Euro to 160,000. This is obviously an attempt to get his pay closer in line with what his value is to the team, as he's clearly their most important player. There's been some talk that Rubio's contract would not hold up in court if challenged, as a 6 million Euro buyout is obviously not proportionate to an 80,000 Euro contract. It's highly unlikely that it would get to that, though.

According to David Carro, the Spanish partner of Rubio's NBA agent, Dan Fegan, who we spoke with here at the Copa del Rey, there is “still a chance that Rubio could find his way into this year's draft.” Negotiations are reportedly underway to lower his buyout to more manageable proportions, possibly 3-4 million Euro. A solution could come as early as “this month” Carro told us, and in that case, Rubio would be able to afford getting out of his contract if he were to be “a top-3 pick” (which he very likely is), as long as he could pay off the buyout over the course of his rookie deal. Asked why Joventut would have any reason to even negotiate considering the leverage they hold in this situation, Carro responded that Rubio is the “image of the team” and that they “would not want to have a mad player.”

If he does declare, that would make this draft a little stronger. I'd take him WELL ahead of Brandon Jennings.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #316
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
On Rubio and the 2009 NBA draft:

from Draftexpress.com

If he does declare, that would make this draft a little stronger. I'd take him WELL ahead of Brandon Jennings.

I don't think anyone would disagree if Rubio showed up in this draft. I still think Jennings is getting experience that's gonna really pay off in the future.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #317
Groundhog
Coordinator

Griffin might be the only guy I'd take over Rubio. I like Harden, but wings are easier to get your hands on than PGs. Big guys are the hardest of all and while I like Monroe and Hill, I don't think either is as safe a pick as Rubio.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #318
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Points 37, 38, and 39 on the night for Devin Harris tonight were one hell of a shot

SI

Old 02-23-2009, 11:13 PM   #319
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Points 37, 38, and 39 on the night for Devin Harris tonight were one hell of a shot

SI

Just an incredible shot.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:15 PM   #320
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

C's OBLITERATED the Nuggets tonight. 114-76. Yikes.

Was nice to see the C's lineup in garbage time featuring Gabe Pruitt, Bill Walker & J.R. Giddens all on the floor at once, and see even a little offense from the three young kids.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #321
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

SI

What an ending.

Can the 76rs sound any more like little bitches? The video proves the shot was good, just give the other guy credit and move on.

Every time I watch a Nets game I realize how much the MAvs got bitch slapped in the JAson Kidd deal.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:24 PM   #322
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Low Risk...VERY High Upside!

Like I said before, I'm not a huge fan of Marbury personally, but I think he adds a ton to the Celts bench.

Quote:
The New York Knicks and Stephon Marbury reached a buyout agreement Tuesday afternoon that would clear the way for Marbury to sign with the Boston Celtics, according to sources close to the situation.

"A comprehensive agreement was made this afternoon between the New York Knicks and Stephon Marbury. Under its terms, the grievance has been resolved and the Knicks have requested waivers on Stephon. No additional terms will be disclosed," the Knicks said in a statement released by the team.

Sources briefed on the state of the talks told ESPN.com that the Knicks and Marbury are on the verge of finalizing a separation package that will make Marbury eligible to play in the playoffs for another team because his release from New York would come before the league's Sunday deadline.

Link

Last edited by Sublime 2 : 02-24-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #323
Groundhog
Coordinator

Rockets spank the Cavs by 19 points and LeBron James has his first zero-assist game, finishing with a very un-LeBron like line of 21 PTS 1 REB 0 ASTS 3 TO, on 33% shooting.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:09 PM   #324
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
Low Risk...VERY High Upside!

Like I said before, I'm not a huge fan of Marbury personally, but I think he adds a ton to the Celts bench.

If Marbury is just used to bring the ball up against a pressure defense while Rondo gets some rest, should work out OK if he stays sane.

Marbury looked like crap last time we saw him getting regular minutes, and I have little reason to think he'll be any better now after taking 2 seasons off, and being 32 years old.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:17 PM   #325
MikeVic
Head Coach

I watched some Garnett biography thing a couple weeks ago, and they made it seem like Garnett really doesn't like Marbury. Something about them being childhood friends, then getting to play together in Minnesota... and then Marbury saying he wants to be the star and demanding a trade, hurting Garnett's feelings.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:27 PM   #326
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, the Garnett/Marbury thing has been spoken about for years, but you'd think surely there would be no way in hell the Celtics would sign him unless Garnett has given them the OK.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #327
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Back to the same old song, when writing about the NBA, I really enjoy Bill Simmons:

The Sports Guy: Bill Simmons Welcome to the No Benjamins Association - ESPN Page 2

SI

Old 02-27-2009, 02:30 PM   #328
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I wonder if minor league baseball attendance will be up this summer. As people decide that major league sports are too expensive and/or overpriced, I could see them choosing instead to go see a minor league game for 1/5 the price.

Kind of like how Wal-Mart is doing just fine in the recession, thank you very much.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:37 PM   #329
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I know they keep talking about "middle-class" families buying tickets, but that's been going out the window for a while. Sports have gone after the corporate market, pushing out the "average fan", and all of a sudden the corporate types are cutting back big-time, and those "middle-class" families that have been priced out of the sports seats have already moved on to other options. Those that haven't will be able to continue attending thanks to all the promotions being run. I think pro sports is laying in the bed they made over the last decade or so.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #330
RainMaker
General Manager

The Bulls lost two legends yesterday. Norm Van Lier and Johnny "Red" Kerr. Both were fixtures on TV over the years, including Kerr who was the color man during the Jordan years. His most memorable commentating moment probably came during "the shot" which has him screaming in the background.

YouTube - Michael Jordan:"THE SHOT" (Cleveland '89)
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:29 PM   #331
Groundhog
Coordinator

Shaq is awesome:

Quote:
"After Shaquille O'Neal scored 45 against Toronto on Friday, Raptors star Chris Bosh said O'Neal had benefited from officials ignoring his three-second lane violations. 'I heard what Chris Bosh said, and that's strong words coming from the RuPaul of big men,' O'Neal said. 'I'm going to do the same thing (in their next meeting) I did before — make him quit. Make 'em quit and complain. It's what I do.' O'Neal is the only NBA player other than Stephon Marbury and Bernard King to record 40-point games with four teams. 'I warned these guys he can do that,' Lakers coach Phil Jackson said."
Old 03-02-2009, 11:34 PM   #332
Groundhog
Coordinator

Some other tidbits from the waiver wire:

Gooden to the Spurs - Wow. I think Duncan would kill Gooden with his bare-hands after 3 games. The Spurs offense on both ends of the court is so damn structured that I just don't think Gooden will slot in like the under-skilled/over-working role players that flesh out the majority of their roster.

Joe Smith to the Cavs - Yes! Make it happen. Like what I'm seeing from Hickson for the most part, but a vet like Smith could prove invaluable, especially come playoffs time.

Luther Head to the Nets - I liked Head in college and thought he showed promise his first two seasons, but with Von Wafer beating him out of the rotation in Houston, it makes me think that there isn't something wrong with the guy. Still, maybe he'll find a home in NJ if he signs there, as CDR hasn't done an awful lot his rookie year.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:34 PM   #333
Groundhog
Coordinator

dola

I should make it clear that the above 3 signings are just the current rumours. Nothing has actually happened yet.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:14 AM   #334
sooner333
College Starter

Groundhog--Quick aside...is Ebi Ere still scoring points in bunches Down Under? I just remember hearing that he was doing well down there and was wondering how he was doing (if he's even still playing there).
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:19 AM   #335
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
Groundhog--Quick aside...is Ebi Ere still scoring points in bunches Down Under? I just remember hearing that he was doing well down there and was wondering how he was doing (if he's even still playing there).

Yup, he sure is. He bounces around from one team to the next down here, but he's one of the better imports we've ever had. His team - arguably the most talented ever to play in our league - is in the Finals which start tomorrow night.

Ere has a bit of a reputation as a shameless gunner down here, which is kind of fair considering how he plays, but the guy puts points on the board like few others can.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:03 AM   #336
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wow.
Was that ill advised 3 as bad as it sounded from Randolph at the end of the cavs clips game? I can't believe the Cavs came back and won that.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:52 AM   #337
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, just saw it on Sportscenter and it was definitely as bad as it sounded. Why anyone wants this guy on their team is completely beyond me. But hey, it's the Clippers.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:19 AM   #338
Groundhog
Coordinator

I remember reading a quote from Randolph a few weeks back. Not sure what the topic was, but his exact words were "Well, I'm a pretty good player". In reality, he's a pretty good example of a waste of talent. Very few guys are capable of posting the kind of empty numbers he's shown he can put up most nights.

Strangest of all is that he was still consired a desirable commodity at PF until quite recently, leading me to believe that some GMs and scouts still just look at box scores.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:20 AM   #339
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I was listening to the game on XM, and got all pissed off cause the Cavs were getting killed. Checked back like 20mins later, and then it was a game. Will have to record SportsCenter cause it definately sounded like a moment that had to be seen. The Clips radio guy was totally dumbfounded it seemed. Bonus points if someone can find a link and post it in this thread.

Last edited by stevew : 03-11-2009 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:21 AM   #340
Groundhog
Coordinator

Perfect time to post this once again:

YouTube - Zach Randolph Play Around Feb 24 2008
Old 03-11-2009, 01:23 AM   #341
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:23 AM   #342
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hmm, would be interesting to put together a rotation of players that people who read box scores think are good, but in reality suck ass and are losers.

Randolph would obviously be the starting PF of that squad.

Larry Hughes is probably the starting 2, but I don't even think he's fooling the Casual fan anymore.

Last edited by stevew : 03-11-2009 at 01:54 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:53 AM   #343
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh wow, just saw the Randolph play. That's probably as stupid as the one in Groundhogs clip, but not nearly as funny.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:02 AM   #344
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Sweet jeez. Just saw the Randolph three on ESPN.com

WORST SHOT OF THE SEASON.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:12 AM   #345
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm pretty sure they had a timeout left too.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:22 AM   #346
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

With six seconds left, down by two at home, common thinking would be to go for OT, right?

I'm amazed Randolph actually dribbled twice, looked at the clock and said "BOMBS AWAY, B*TCH!"
Old 03-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #347
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Hmm, would be interesting to put together a rotation of players that people who read box scores think are good, but in reality suck ass and are losers.

Randolph would obviously be the starting PF of that squad.

Larry Hughes is probably the starting 2, but I don't even think he's fooling the Casual fan anymore.

I like this idea. I have Randolph on my fantasy team, and he's done well when healthy/not suspended. But I got the impression he's a bad basketball player.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #348
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

YouTube - Cavs-Clippers 87-83 I James Triple-Double 32pts,1reb,11ast,Ilgauskas 16pts vs Randolph 20pts,12reb

Zach's three is at the two minute mark.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #349
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Simmons had a good take on the game.

ESPN A dumbfounding night in the 'Dumbleavy Era'
Old 03-11-2009, 10:09 PM   #350
Groundhog
Coordinator

Interesting article re: the new "prime" age of these preps-to-pros who are the legends of the current NBA:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ep.pros/1.html