Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-04-2008, 12:20 PM   #301
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
Is that kind of like Petrino (or Saban) saying he had absolutely no plans of leaving the Falcons (or Dolphins)?

Sony paid for a (timed) exclusive. Saying its coming out in a year totally undermines that. Of course they're not going to say that, Sony would eat them alive.

Yes, it's the exact same situation as the ones you describe.

As far as the exclusive part, there's no evidence at all of any timed exclusive for the PS3. It's PS3 exclusive. If you have a link where Konami or Sony states anything of the sort, feel free to post it.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-04-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #302
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
As far as the exclusive part, there's no evidence at all of any timed exclusive for the 360. If you have a link where Konami or Sony states anything of the sort, feel free to post it.
Where did he say anything about timed exclusive for the 360?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #303
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Where did he say anything about timed exclusive for the 360?

Thanks. Mistyped. He said it was a timed exclusive for the PS3. I'll correct it.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #304
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting new rumor coming out of the Sony/PS3 camp. Sony is considering a subscription-based format for the online games where you can play any/all of the PSN and classic games for one monthly fee rather than having to purchase each game individually (rumor suggests $5-10/month). Sounds very similar to GameTap in format.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #305
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Thanks. Mistyped. He said it was a timed exclusive for the PS3. I'll correct it.

No, I did not. I said that Konami denying it doesn't change ANYTHING.

Its an exclusive. We don't know if its timed, or not. We don't know how much (if anything) Sony paid Konami. We don't know contract terms.

Assuming ANYTHING based on Konami denying something is ridiculous. PR departments are there for a reason.
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:58 PM   #306
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Its an exclusive. We don't know if its timed, or not. We don't know how much (if anything) Sony paid Konami. We don't know contract terms.

Assuming ANYTHING based on Konami denying something is ridiculous. PR departments are there for a reason.

It's a PS3 exclusive and that's been made clear several times over by Konami. MGS4 is not going to be on the 360 in any form. I'm not sure how much clearer they can make it. There are situations where companies issue 'non-denial denials'. This is not one of those cases.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #307
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Exactly and this is almost the exact same thing MBBF kept saying about Bioshock and it remaining a 360 exclusive. Funny that he argues against this logic now.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:04 PM   #308
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Apples to oranges. Servers are provided by the individual game companies and the service is free. Tough to refund something you never collected.

You missed my point but I figured you would, your Sony blinders prevented you from seeing it.

Are people going to go out and buy a PS3 because they couldn't get onto Xbox Live for one day? No. Microsoft could've easily said, "hey the servers got overloaded but we fixed the issue. Sorry." Instead they've went ahead and are offering a free game to users, seems way beyond what is the norm to me and well more valuable to users than a credit for one month's service.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #309
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Exactly and this is almost the exact same thing MBBF kept saying about Bioshock and it remaining a 360 exclusive. Funny that he argues against this logic now.

So you believe that MGS4 will still be coming to the 360 despite Konami's outright denial? I certainly don't think that Bioshock is coming to the PS3 at this point.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:11 PM   #310
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Are people going to go out and buy a PS3 because they couldn't get onto Xbox Live for one day? No. Microsoft could've easily said, "hey the servers got overloaded but we fixed the issue. Sorry." Instead they've went ahead and are offering a free game to users, seems way beyond what is the norm to me and well more valuable to users than a credit for one month's service.

I would prefer a credit to my account rather than having no alternative but to accept the game offer, but that's my preference. I clearly stated earlier in the thread that some form of an offer was better than no offer at all that the support personnel was quoting to customers early in the outage period. MS did the right thing by making some form of amends.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #311
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So you believe that MGS4 will still be coming to the 360 despite Konami's outright denial? I certainly don't think that Bioshock is coming to the PS3 at this point.

I still think it is possible. As you pointed out when talking about Bioshock, PR departments spin this stuff all of the time.

Konami will say they didn't have any plans to release a 360 version now when they are contractually obligated to say so, but once that obligation is gone, they'll say they have reconsidered and are releasing a 360 version of the game. As I recall, you only finally accepted that Bioshock wasn't coming to the PS3 when there was an article talking about Microsoft securing publishing rights. Until then, you kept arguing the same exact things that are being argued now. Right now, the 360 has a significantly larger install base than the PS3 and there is no reason to think that MGS 4 won't come out on the 360 at some point, particularly when a Konami rep may have leaked such info.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:22 PM   #312
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I still think it is possible. As you pointed out when talking about Bioshock, PR departments spin this stuff all of the time.

Konami will say they didn't have any plans to release a 360 version now when they are contractually obligated to say so, but once that obligation is gone, they'll say they have reconsidered and are releasing a 360 version of the game. As I recall, you only finally accepted that Bioshock wasn't coming to the PS3 when there was an article talking about Microsoft securing publishing rights. Until then, you kept arguing the same exact things that are being argued now. Right now, the 360 has a significantly larger install base than the PS3 and there is no reason to think that MGS 4 won't come out on the 360 at some point, particularly when a Konami rep may have leaked such info.

Fair enough. There's certainly no solid evidence to support any of that at this point, but I suppose anything can be passed through a chain of logic to make it so. I don't think Sony will secure the publishing rights in any form, so as I said before, this rumor will continue without end, no matter how little foundation it has at this point other than speculation.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:56 PM   #313
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Cute comments aside, the trend is certainly worth noting. Absolute no one in these discussions two months ago thought that the PS3 would be able to pull even with the 360 in monthly sales by December. Not only has the PS3 caught the 360, it has actually surpassed it with no system seller games being released while the 360 had arguably its biggest name franchise released this fall (which BTW, has sold between 7 and 8 million units).

I actuall think it would be expected. 360 has been out much longer and already sold units to most hardcore gamers. The fact they are still able to somewhat compete numbers wise with the PS3 is astounding considering how much more they've sold. If I was Sony, I'd have hoped by now that my console would be crushing the 360 monthly due in part to the fact that most people already own one.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:23 PM   #314
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I actuall think it would be expected. 360 has been out much longer and already sold units to most hardcore gamers. The fact they are still able to somewhat compete numbers wise with the PS3 is astounding considering how much more they've sold. If I was Sony, I'd have hoped by now that my console would be crushing the 360 monthly due in part to the fact that most people already own one.

It should of course be noted that the one year head start without competitors is mainly the difference at this point. With the sudden shift in the HD movie market today, that's not likely to last long. The PS3 pulled ahead of the 360 worldwide the past two months without the benefit of any blockbuster title. With Blu-ray now all but officially the HD movie standard in all three regions as of today, the market forces are likely to change very quickly. Certainly the very last thing that Microsoft wanted to see happen just happened two days into 2008. It's certainly not a good start to the New Year.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:34 PM   #315
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
It should of course be noted that the one year head start without competitors is mainly the difference at this point. With the sudden shift in the HD movie market today, that's not likely to last long. The PS3 pulled ahead of the 360 worldwide the past two months without the benefit of any blockbuster title. With Blu-ray now all but officially the HD movie standard in all three regions as of today, the market forces are likely to change very quickly. Certainly the very last thing that Microsoft wanted to see happen just happened two days into 2008. It's certainly not a good start to the New Year.

I still don't think the HD/Blu-Ray battle will be a huge deal down the road. It's a declining form of media, everything is going to be shifting to digital in the next few years. This isn't like BETA/VHS wars. Plus I still don't think all gamers are looking for their video game system to be their movie player.

Nonetheless, whatever helps you justify your purchase.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #316
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I still don't think the HD/Blu-Ray battle will be a huge deal down the road. It's a declining form of media, everything is going to be shifting to digital in the next few years. This isn't like BETA/VHS wars. Plus I still don't think all gamers are looking for their video game system to be their movie player.

Nonetheless, whatever helps you justify your purchase.

Obviously, most analysts disagree with that assessment. This will significantly help both stand alone and PS3 sales. There's little question about that. It's a very big deal.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:25 AM   #317
Daimyo
College Starter

No doubt that the PS3 won the HDM war for Sony, but I don't think you can say that winning the HDM war will win (second place in) the console war for Sony. The PS3 is no longer the best BD player available. It lacks some key features such as support for DTS HD and ANY bitstream audio output ($500 Panasonic DMP-BD30 beats it). Its also not the cheapest BD player (Samsung <$300). Further now that BD has the format war behind them you have to think there will be a huge push to get standalone players under $200 so that they actually have enough mainstream appeal to compete with DVD and all the other HD options. The cheaper standalone players get the less the PS3 gains from its BD player.

Its also ironic that the feature you tout as making the PS3 the best BD player is a standard feature on all HD-DVD players (internet connection for updates is required of all players in the HD-DVD spec... its just optional for BD players).

Last edited by Daimyo : 01-05-2008 at 12:26 AM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:28 AM   #318
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

So what happens now to the big announcement that was going to be made regarding the 360 next week? Does it still make sense to introduce a new model with a built-in HD-DVD player?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:24 AM   #319
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
So what happens now to the big announcement that was going to be made regarding the 360 next week? Does it still make sense to introduce a new model with a built-in HD-DVD player?

MS and HD-DVD have cancelled their entire appearance at the CES 2008 conference, so that's not going to happen as a formal announcement there. It obviously makes little sense to make a built-in at this point. To be honest, I think that's a blessing for MS. They need to continue to concentrate on growing the 360 and its installed base. That's more important than HD-DVD.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #320
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
MS and HD-DVD have cancelled their entire appearance at the CES 2008 conference, so that's not going to happen as a formal announcement there. It obviously makes little sense to make a built-in at this point. To be honest, I think that's a blessing for MS. They need to continue to concentrate on growing the 360 and its installed base. That's more important than HD-DVD.

I agree. I wish they'd stop screwing around with the different 360 packages they sell and just sell one with all the parts we need. They are so big on selling too much stuff or too little with their console. My friend had to buy the arcade system and then a few add-ons. His other option was a higher package that had crap he didn't need.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:06 PM   #321
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Obviously, most analysts disagree with that assessment. This will significantly help both stand alone and PS3 sales. There's little question about that. It's a very big deal.
I think it helps standalone a lot, but I don't think it'll be a dramatic jump for the PS3. Blu-Ray players are getting much cheaper these days and the one in the PS3 is average at best. I just don't see it becoming the huge selling point. People want a video game system, and the Blu-Ray is simply a nice extra.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #322
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I think blu-ray is winning out because it has a prettier name. Not because of the PS3.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:39 PM   #323
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Another rumor circulating in advance of CES 2008. Sony is working with Tivo to release a system update for the PS3 that would effectively turn it into a fully functioning Tivo box. It would communicate with any other Tivo boxes in your home. Tivo already has implemented 'Tivo to Go' functionality that allows Tivo users to watch shows recorded on their box remotely on their PSP. The PS3 functionality would allow PSP users to remotely stream recorded shows directly off their PS3 as well as any Tivo boxes in the home.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:57 PM   #324
Pacersfan46
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
It's a PS3 exclusive and that's been made clear several times over by Konami. MGS4 is not going to be on the 360 in any form. I'm not sure how much clearer they can make it. There are situations where companies issue 'non-denial denials'. This is not one of those cases.

Yes, just as they claimed MGS:Sons of Liberty was a PS2 exclusive ..... at least until the Xbox saw a updated version a year later, right?

Quote:
I would prefer a credit to my account rather than having no alternative but to accept the game offer

What? Lets see, $50 a year ...... 365 days a year, and you couldn't get on for 1 day ..... you really want that nickel that badly? The game is worth much more than any prorated dollar amount that they'd put on your account.

-- Steve --
Pacersfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:14 AM   #325
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some really discouraging info from Surfer Girl about the upcoming Ubisoft games............

http://softrockhallelujah.blogspot.c...f-delayed.html

Quote:
The videogame based on Lost was so terrible that when the company sent it to Sony for approval, they refused, saying "no, your game is too boring and has no gameplay, we don't want it on the Playstation 3." This videogame will beat records at being bad and will bomb really hard.

The next Splinter Cell game has been redone three times over already. Developers just can't seem to include good gameplay in it. That's part of why it got delayed. Same can be said about Rainbow Six Vegas 2. The story was abysmal and it was supposed to be a prequel to Vegas in the early stages of development. Developers then said it made no sense at all, because the first Vegas game finished with a "To Be Continued" screen. They delayed it to work on the story and add some maps.

Far Cry 2 has also been delayed because it was terrible. The game does not look like NEAR what has been shown. Even with the best PC available to the developers, the game just does not match what has been shown so far. Far Cry 2 is both bad and requires one hell of a machine (PC) to run.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-07-2008 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:18 AM   #326
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Many rumors are swirling that Microsoft is going to partner with Toshiba (which will supposedly help them in the Japanese market?) to make a 360 with an integrated HD-DVD. Bill Gates has said an "important announcement" will be made at the CES show next week.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=178311

Another rumor that has apparantly gone down the drain. No mention of a HD-DVD 360 console in Bill Gates' speech at the beginning of CES 2008. Not sure whether we'll ever know if it was never true or if the Warner move to Blu-ray effectively nixed any ideas of building a system with a drive that would likely be obsolete by the time it was released. Either way, it's probably best that this didn't come to fruition.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:24 AM   #327
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
Yes, just as they claimed MGS:Sons of Liberty was a PS2 exclusive ..... at least until the Xbox saw a updated version a year later, right?

As far as the MGS that you mention on the Xbox, that game didn't do well at all. If anything, the situation you mentioned is one of the reasons that Konami likely won't go down that path. That experience with the Xbox reportedly left a pretty sour taste in their mouth, hence the reason that MGS3 didn't follow a similar path.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:16 AM   #328
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like XBL users may get some money back anyway. Class action lawsuit filed on behalf of XBL users to get a refund for outage time. Total lawsuit is asking for $5 million to be distributed to XBL members.

http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-984...=2547-1_3-0-20

Quote:
Microsoft sued over Xbox outage
Posted by Ina Fried

Microsoft now faces a lawsuit over recent problems with its Xbox Live online gaming service.

Three Texas residents filed a lawsuit Friday on behalf of themselves and others who have had trouble connecting to Xbox Live in recent weeks.

The suit, filed in U.S. District Court in Houston, claims Microsoft's outages represent a breach of contract and negligent misrepresentation for which the software maker is liable. The suit doesn't claim specific damages, but notes the amount is in excess of $5 million.

In the suit, the plaintiffs allege that Microsoft should have known strong holiday sales would tax its servers. "Microsoft knew the increase in subscriptions would increase game-play on its servers, yet failed to provide adequate access and service to Xbox Live and its subscribers."

Microsoft has apologized for the outage and said it would allow Xbox live subscribers to download a free game.

A Microsoft representative was not immediately available for comment.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-07-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:08 AM   #329
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some 360 and Wii gaming news......

The next Bioshock game will be a prequel. It should be released sometime in 2009.

http://loot-ninja.com/2008/01/06/bioshock-2-a-prequel/

The Bully port for the 360 finally has a release date of March 4th. Bonus content info is included.

http://loot-ninja.com/2008/01/05/roc...bonus-content/

Three new TV commercials for Super Smash Bros. Brawl are up for viewing........

http://loot-ninja.com/2008/01/06/sup...nese-tv-spots/
Old 01-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #330
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Another rumor circulating in advance of CES 2008. Sony is working with Tivo to release a system update for the PS3 that would effectively turn it into a fully functioning Tivo box. It would communicate with any other Tivo boxes in your home. Tivo already has implemented 'Tivo to Go' functionality that allows Tivo users to watch shows recorded on their box remotely on their PSP. The PS3 functionality would allow PSP users to remotely stream recorded shows directly off their PS3 as well as any Tivo boxes in the home.

We're probably going to buy a second TivoHD unit this year so that would be huge for me and make the PS3 a no-brainer if true. Given your ties to Sony, I'm hopeful you have good info here!

However, I'm not sure how it would work. Modern Tivos aren't designed to control cable boxes and depend on CableCard... Does the PS3 actually have a CableCard slot? (let alone an RF input to accept a cable feed?)

What I assume you mean is not that it would not be a "fully functioning Tivo box" but instead a Tivo media extender of sort... it wouldn't actually record anything or let you watch live TV, but would let you access and watch content recorded on real standalone Tivos. That would still be very sweet... I'd value that at about $100-150 which still make the PS3 a solid value for me ($200 for the BR player + $100-150 for the Tivo extension + $50-100 to be able to play Rock Band and FF13 = $350-$450).
Old 01-07-2008, 02:43 PM   #331
Daimyo
College Starter

DOLA, a quick search shows that people have been using PS3s with MythTV and USB decoder cards for a while now. Maybe Sony could release a USB peripheral with a RF input and a CableCard slot to give full Tivo functionality? Seems unlikely, but one can dream right? *shurg*

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Turn_You...nto_a_PVR_TiVo
Old 01-07-2008, 02:59 PM   #332
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
As far as the MGS that you mention on the Xbox, that game didn't do well at all. If anything, the situation you mentioned is one of the reasons that Konami likely won't go down that path. That experience with the Xbox reportedly left a pretty sour taste in their mouth, hence the reason that MGS3 didn't follow a similar path.
Except the two situation aren't close to being comparable. Then, the Xbox was a dstant 2nd to the PS2 in install base, and the version released for the Xbox was simply an expanded edition of a game that had been out on the PS2 for a year. It's not a big surprise that it didn't sell all that well.

This time around, it's the 360 with the big lead in install base, which makes a big difference. Many 360 owners will be content to wait for the 360 version to come out rather than feel compelled to buy a PS3 to play it.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:46 PM   #333
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Surprising info from Gates' address. Sony owned MGM will be releasing some of their classic hits on Xbox Live for download. Also, Gates announced a bunch of ABC and Disney content will be available for HD download from Live. With all of the additions, they report they will have more HD available for download than most cable companies.

Also, they report that they sold more than 2 billion dollars worth of hardware than Sony last year and 1 billion more than the Wii. Furthermore, Game sales bested the Wii and PS3 combined.

Other point of interest to me is that IPTV via the 360 will start in mid 08 with UK being the first to get it.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6184327.html
Old 01-07-2008, 05:57 PM   #334
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Surprising info from Gates' address. Sony owned MGM will be releasing some of their classic hits on Xbox Live for download. Also, Gates announced a bunch of ABC and Disney content will be available for HD download from Live. With all of the additions, they report they will have more HD available for download than most cable companies.

Also, they report that they sold more than 2 billion dollars worth of hardware than Sony last year and 1 billion more than the Wii. Furthermore, Game sales bested the Wii and PS3 combined.

Other point of interest to me is that IPTV via the 360 will start in mid 08 with UK being the first to get it.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6184327.html

Wow, a post that doesn't annoy the hell out of me. Kudos or Kodos.. to you!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:34 AM   #335
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Not sure why that was a surprise. First, Sony does not own MGM. They own 30% of MGM's outstanding stock, which is not a controlling interest. Second, that agreement has been in the works for three months. It's been all but a done deal for some time now.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:55 AM   #336
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

EA announces that they have acquired Bioware and Pandemic..........

Quote:
EA COMPLETES ACQUISITION OF VG HOLDING CORP. – WELCOMES BIOWARE CORP. AND PANDEMIC STUDIOS TO THE EA GAMES LABEL

Original Intellectual Property Under Development Includes Dragon Age, Mercenaries 2: World in Flames, Saboteur and Many More

Chertsey, UK., January 7, 2008 – Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) today announced that it has completed its acquisition of VG Holding Corp. and has officially welcomed BioWare Corp. and Pandemic Studios to the EA Games Label. The addition of these studios vaults EA into a competitive position in the RPG, action and adventure genres. The two studios have been recognized for creating some of the highest-quality games in the industry and will bring ten new franchises to EA, based on six wholly-owned IP.

Frank Gibeau, president of the EA Games Label, will oversee the studios within his organization. Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk of BioWare Corp. have each been named as Vice Presidents of EA and Co-General Managers of BioWare Corp. Pandemic Studios’ Andrew Goldman and Josh Resnick have each been named Vice Presidents of EA and Co-General Managers of Pandemic Studios, while Greg Borrud has been named Vice President of EA and Chief Production Officer of Pandemic Studios.

“BioWare Corp. and Pandemic Studios are two world-class studios and bring strong, highly compatible cultures of creative excellence to the EA Games Label,” said Mr. Gibeau. “Their strengths in the RPG, action and adventure genres further broadens EA’s portfolio, and reinforces our commitment to creating the world’s greatest interactive entertainment.”

“Our new EA partnership is already proving to be both positive and productive,” said Mr. Resnick. “Pandemic Studios prides itself upon its creative independence while being the best place for top industry talent to work. These values continue to be upheld by all levels of EA and we couldn’t be more excited about the future of our studio and our games.”

Mr. Muzyka added, “EA has shown great respect for the creative integrity of our studios and BioWare’s core values of quality in our workplace, quality in our products, and entrepreneurship. Operating as a city-state within the larger EA studio family, our talented teams at BioWare Edmonton and BioWare Austin are empowered to continue delivering powerful emotional experiences through our story-driven games.”

In connection with the acquisition, EA will issue equity awards without stockholder approval pursuant to NASDAQ Marketplace Rules 4350(i)(1)(A)(iii) and (iv). These equity awards, which EA had agreed to grant at the time it announced the acquisition of VG Holding Corp., will consist of promissory notes payable in shares and restricted stock units, or “RSUs,” with respect to an aggregate of approximately 2.8 million shares of EA’s common stock and will be granted as retention incentives to five employee founders of BioWare and Pandemic. Approximately 2.1 million of the 2.8 million shares underlying the promissory notes and RSUs will vest over time, provided that, among other things, the respective recipient continues to be an employee or service provider to EA (or one of its subsidiaries) through each applicable vesting date. Approximately 700,000 of the remaining RSUs vest based upon the achievement of enumerated performance objectives tied to the release of new products, provided that, among other things, the respective recipient continues to be an employee or service provider to EA (or one of its subsidiaries). EA also assumed outstanding VGH stock options to acquire, on an as-converted basis, approximately 1.2 million shares of EA stock, which are widely-held by employees of VG Holding Corp., BioWare and Pandemic.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:19 AM   #337
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ew...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:27 AM   #338
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Ew...

SI

Yeah, I kind of thought that as well. We'll pray for the best and expect the worst.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:51 AM   #339
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FYI......another Sony confirmation from the floor of CES 2008 that Metal Gear Solid 4 is a PS3 exclusive............

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165279
Old 01-08-2008, 08:17 AM   #340
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I put up a list of PS3 exclusive and multiplat releases for the upcoming year already. Here's the list of 360 exclusives. Some have dates while the TBA listed games may/may not be 2008 releases. I went ahead and listed them all just to provide a full list either way.

Quote:
Kingdom under Fire: COD (January 8th)
Culdcept Saga (February 5th)
Lost Odyssey (February 12th)
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic: Elements (February 12th)
Supreme Commander (February 18th)
Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath (March 24th)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction (Q2 2008)
Banjo Kazooie 3 (June 2008)
Left 4 Dead (June 2008)
Age of Conan - Hyborian Adventures (Q3 2008)
Fable 3 (Q3 2008)
Halo Wars (Q3 2008)
Sabotage (Q3 2008)
Alan Wake (TBA)
Crash Time (TBA)
Dead Island (TBA)
Elveon (TBA)
Guilty Gear 2: Overture (TBA)
Huxley (TBA)
Infinite Undiscovery (TBA)
Ninja Gaiden (TBA)
Operation Darkness (TBA)
Postal 3 (TBA)
Project Offset (TBA)
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel (TBA)
Tales of Vesperia (TBA)
Too Human (TBA)
Universe at War: Earth Assault (TBA)
Warhound (TBA)
World in Conflict (TBA)
Axiom Overdrive (TBA)
Braid (TBA)
Castle crashers (TBA)
Ikaruga (TBA)
Metal Slug 3 (TBA)
N+ (TBA)
Omega 5 (TBA)
Rez HD (TBA)
Old 01-08-2008, 09:00 AM   #341
Daimyo
College Starter

You don't think its misleading that your Sony list included multiplatform games mixed in and your Xbox list is only exclusives?
Old 01-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #342
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
You don't think its misleading that your Sony list included multiplatform games mixed in and your Xbox list is only exclusives?

Not when I clearly stated that point in the other post.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:57 AM   #343
MJ4H
Coordinator

A list of upcoming games for the year on Wii. This is not an exhaustive list. I tried to include games that caught my eye for one reason or another only. I may have missed a couple of bigger games due to unfamiliarity.

Notable Wii Games on the Horizon

JANUARY
PDC World Championship Darts 2008
Wii Chess
Endless Ocean
No More Heroes
Bomberman Land
MX vs ATV Untamed

FEBRUARY
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Dragon Quest Swords: TMQatToM
Baroque
de Blob
Dream Pinball

MARCH
ATV Thunder Ridge Riders & Monster Trucks
The Wizard of Oz
Ninja Reflex

Q1 no specific month
Harvest Moon: Tree of Peace
Mario Kart Wii
Samba De Amigo
Sega Bass Fishing
Sega Superstars Tennis
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Target: Terror
We Love Golf

APRIL
MLB 2k8

MAY
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Q2
Lego Indiana Jones
Top Spin Tennis
WALL-E

Q3
Deca Sports

Q4
Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution

2008 no specific quarter
Dr. Mario's Virus Buster
Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles: The crystal Bearers
Mario Superstar Baseball
Pro Evolution Soccer Wii

TBA
Alone in the Dark
Bob Ross: The Joy of Painting
Chocobo's Dungeon Toki-Wasure no Mekyuu
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Kirby
Monster Hunter 3
Okami
Opoona
Pirateology
Project Rygar
Red Steel 2
Rock Band
Sadness
Samurai Shodown Anthology
Spore
Wii Fit
Wizardology
Sam & Max
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:04 AM   #344
Butter
Coordinator

A real tennis game could be absolutely dynamite on the Wii. I see 2 in the pipeline, so I am happy.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #345
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

As I mentioned before, this wasn't a surprise to anyone. Sony CEO Stringer announce today that Sony will have similar HD downloadable content of both HD TV shows and HD movie content. Due to their current agreements through the Blu-ray association (Paramount and Universal are expected to quickly switch over to Blu-ray), Sony will have all major release movies available in their library. A full announcement of the functionality will be made in early March.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #346
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
A list of upcoming games for the year on Wii. This is not an exhaustive list. I tried to include games that caught my eye for one reason or another only. I may have missed a couple of bigger games due to unfamiliarity.

Notable Wii Games on the Horizon

(long list)

Lots of good stuff coming early in the year. Endless Ocean, No More Heroes, Smash Brothers, and Dragon Quest: Swords are all games that I'll buy coming out in the first two months.

I'm more hopeful than optimistic for a few others like MLB2k8 and Sega Superstars Tennis but if the games turn out to be good I'm in. Pro Evo is coming out in March I believe, I'll definitely give that a shot given how disappointing the 360/PS3 version was.

Spore and Civilization Revolutions sound promising but I'd rather have those on the PC and DS respectively. Portable Civ oughta be so full of win.

Mario Kart (I know they say Spring but I doubt it will come out within a few months of Smash), Disaster: DoC, and WiiFit will be nice later in the year.

I wonder what else Nintendo is working on that they haven't told us yet, you gotta assume Animal Crossing is coming but that doesn't do much for me. There's no info out there for what Intelligent Systems (Advance Wars, WarioWare, Paper Mario, Fire Emblem), Retro Studios (Metroid Prime series), or EAD Tokyo (Super Mario Galaxy, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat) are working on.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #347
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

None of those XBOX360 games excite me at all. It seems like everything is a first person shooter nowadays. What happened to japan style rpg's with an in-depth story? I guess I will stick with sports this year.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:36 PM   #348
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Prototype looks interesting.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:51 PM   #349
Daimyo
College Starter

I don't really see anything on the PS3/Xbox lists that interests me (FF13 would if it was there). As for the Wii it looks like a pretty solid list.

Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, Rock Band, and Wii Fit are each a must buy. I'll pick up the Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy titles assuming favorable reviews. Lego Indiana Jones will probably be a nice diversion when it hits $20-30. Dr. Mario, Civilization, and Spore are very intriguing if done well (not holding out much hope on the latter two). Pro Evolution Soccer totally depends on the controls and could elevate to must buy status if they're good.

Last edited by Daimyo : 01-08-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:27 PM   #350
Pacersfan46
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
FYI......another Sony confirmation from the floor of CES 2008 that Metal Gear Solid 4 is a PS3 exclusive............

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165279

Yes, a timed exclusive is still an exclusive. Just for information. I've heard, seen, and been through all this before. For sales purposes nobody is allowed to slip the information out that it won't ALWAYS be an exclusive title to PS3.

Just like the Resident Evil series was a Gamecube "exclusive" and then they put a spin off game on the PS2. It wasn't part of the main story so it was allowed contractually. Either you're new to following the game industry, or you're blind. Possibly both. Things like this are standard procedure, and happen all the time. A quick change to the name, and slight content change. Wah-La. Different game. All contractual stipulations are avoided.

On your Xbox list .... Fable 3? Damn, guess they didn't take so long to make the first one. Those sneaky bastards slipped in and made 2 and 3 while we thought they were making the original Fable. Bravo Dene, and Simon Carter. Pure genius!

-- Steve --

Last edited by Pacersfan46 : 01-08-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Pacersfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote