Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-22-2007, 10:30 AM   #301
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Hold off on my autopicks for a minute. I might have a change.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:55 AM   #302
larrymcg421
Head Coach

9.10 - 1994, Dan Marino's Fake Spike completes a comeback against the rival Jets - Comeback

The Jets led 24-6 at the half of a pivotal late season contest for the AFC East title. Two TD's to Mark Ingram made it 24-20. With one last chance, Marino drove the Dolphins into Jets territory. On a completion to the 6 yard line with the clock ticking down with less than a minute remaining, Marino motioned that he was going to spike the ball. The Jets defenders relaxed, then were stunned as Marino dropped back and hit Mark Ingram for the game winning TD pass. The Dolphins won the game and went on to win the AFC East title.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:02 AM   #303
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I will be back after lunch to make my pick after Larry
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:04 AM   #304
larrymcg421
Head Coach

10.1 - 1964 Olympics 10,000 meters, Billy Mills outkicks his rivals to win the Gold Medal - Speed

Billy wasn't even supposed to have a chance. He hadn't even received the complimentary sneakers that the other American qualifiers got. But here he was, matching race favorite Ron Clarke every step of the way. As the race entered the final lap, Billy fell back a little bit as Clarke and Mohammed Gammoudi passed him. On the long turn home, things were made difficult by stragglers who had not moved out of the way. Billy fell even further back trying to navigate through them. But once on the straightaway from home, Billy unleased a shocking display of speed as he blew by Clarke and Gammoudi to win the Gold medal.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:40 AM   #305
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

10.2 March 29, 1987 at the Pontiac Silverdome in Pontiac, Michigan, Hulk Hogan becomes the first person to slam 520-pound Andre The Giant - Power

WrestleMania III, held on March 29, 1987 at the Pontiac Silverdome in Pontiac, Michigan, an announced audience of 93,173 witnessed Hogan successfully defend the WWF World Heavyweight Championship against André the Giant. The match would become the most famous of Hogan's career, and is often regarded as the biggest match in the history of the business, one which saw Hogan bodyslam the 520-pound Frenchman before pinning his shoulders to the mat. Andre had physically deteriorated by this time, which caused a mishap when Hogan initially tried to slam Andre right off the bat. The attempt was unsuccessful (as was planned), and Andre fell on top of Hogan. Hogan was almost pinned accidentally for the three count due to Andre's sheer suffocating size and inablity to move off of Hogan quickly enough. The quick thinking ref's slow two and a half count allowed the match to continue. The match was considered as being a "passing of the torch" between one of the biggest stars in wrestling of the 1970s, André, and the biggest star in wrestling of the 1980s, Hogan. Years later, Hogan stated that André was so heavy, he felt more like 700 pounds, and that if he had lost his balance performing the slam, he was sure that Andre's weight would have seriously injured him. Hogan also says that in lifting the super heavyweight, he tore a shoulder muscle, which causes one side of his back to be visibly smaller than the other. Hogan later would assert that no man in wrestling at the time could have ever defeated André without him allowing it.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:52 AM   #306
stevew
Hall Of Famer

shitty music in the back, but how about that slam.....
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #307
digamma
Torchbearer

10.3 Choke. Roy "Wrong Way" Riegels picks up a fumble in the 1929 Rose Bowl and returns it 65 yards....the wrong direction.

Riegels, playinf for Cal in the 1929 Rose Bowl, picked up a Georgia Tech fumble at the Yellow Jacket 30 yard line. He took off for what looked like a sure score. Unfortunately he was going the wrong direction. "Hell, let's see how far he goes," Ga Tech coach Bill Alexander was reported to say. Riegels went all the way to the Cal one yard line, when upon a teammate yelling at him to turn around, he attempted to, but was swarmed by pursuing Yellow Jackets. Tech forced a safety on the next play and won the game 8-7, with Riegels wrong way run being the difference. His name lives on today.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #308
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Wait, I thought this was a sports draft?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:42 PM   #309
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Wait, I thought this was a sports draft?
True, but I think we can plausibly stretch the definition of "sports" to include college football.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:43 PM   #310
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
True, but I think we can plausibly stretch the definition of "sports" to include college football.

You know ML, you need to have a "101 best ML one-liners" thread. I'd read it.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:46 PM   #311
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

For my final pick, I'll go with one of the most horrifying and heart-breaking moments in sports history.

10.4 - Dave Dravecky's arm snaps during a pitch, ending his comeback from cancer - Emotion

In 1988, a cancerous tumor was found in Dravecky's pitching arm. He underwent surgery, removing half of the deltoid muscle in his pitching arm and freezing the humerus bone in an effort to eliminate all of the cancerous cells. By July 1989, he was pitching in the minors, and on August 10, he made a highly publicized and emotional return to the major leagues, pitching 8 innings and defeating Cincinnati 4-3.

In his following start five days later against the Expos, Dravecky pitched three no-hit innings. But in the fifth inning, he felt a tingling sensation in his arm. In the sixth inning he started off shaky, allowing a home run to the leadoff batter and then hitting the second batter. Then, on his first pitch to Tim Raines, his humerus bone snapped. The crack of the breaking bone could be clearly heard in the stadium, followed by Dravecky screaming in agony as he rolled on the ground.

Dravecky never pitched again. At the end of the season, doctors found a new tumor in his arm, forcing his retirement. Less than two years after his comeback, Dravecky's pitching arm was amputated.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:48 PM   #312
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
You know ML, you need to have a "101 best ML one-liners" thread. I'd read it.
Sounds like an idea for a draft.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:09 PM   #313
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Tanglewood is on the clock again... considering how much he held us up yesterday, and that he still didn't bother sending a pick today, I have no issue skipping his pick if Crapshoot and the rest want to finish this off. Given that we're in the last round and everyone has only one category left to fill, the odds of anyone actually taking something he wanted is pretty slim.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:13 PM   #314
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Uh - sure. I'll try and get to this but I'm now kinda swamped. Let me figure out what category I have left to fill...
Old 05-22-2007, 02:17 PM   #315
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Uh - sure. I'll try and get to this but I'm now kinda swamped. Let me figure out what category I have left to fill...
I think you have "record-breaking" left.

If I could suggest a pick, the Honky Tonk Man's record intercontinental title reign is still on the board.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:18 PM   #316
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You can use my last pick when I come up. I have to leave in 30 minutes and I don't wanna hold things up.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:21 PM   #317
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think you have "record-breaking" left.

If I could suggest a pick, the Honky Tonk Man's record intercontinental title reign is still on the board.

I don't know - Hogan winning the WWF title for the 5th time is up there...

With 10.6- Record Breaking - Nolan Ryan's 7th no hitter, at age 44 - the final out

Last edited by Crapshoot : 05-22-2007 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:31 PM   #318
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

10.5 Bob Willis bowls Ray Bright to win the test for England after being asked to follow on - 3rd Test at Headingley, 1981 Ashes - Comeback

I am quite tired at the moment, so here is a writeup from a BBC article.

Quote:
Single Tests are often dubbed after players, but the 1981 series has gone down in history as "Botham's Ashes".

And the drama started at Headingley with the visitors on the verge of wrapping up an easy win to go 2-0 up.

Upped stepped Ian Botham with a gung-ho 149 to at least make Australia bat again, when an inspired Bob Willis swept through their line-up with 8-43.

It sealed a remarkable 18-run win and signalled an about turn in the series which England went on to win 3-1.

It was the second time in the history of Test cricket that the side following-on had won and England's unbelievable victory defied all logic.

Botham had just resigned the captaincy after a Lord's draw in which he registered his only Test pair. He was replaced at the helm by former skipper Mike Brearley.

Having won the toss, Australia chose to bat and carded 401-9 declared, with John Dyson constructing a diligent 102 and half-centuries coming from Kim Hughes and Graham Yallop.

Botham captured 6-95 and then scored a half-century in England's first innings, but it was the only respectable score and the hosts were invited to follow on.

While Australia were convinced of victory, despite some players betting on an England win at 500/1, Brearley's boys booked out of their hotel on Monday morning in the belief they would be beaten by the end of the day.

Dennis Lillee dismissal of Peter Willey saw him pass Hugh Trumble's Ashes record of 141 dismissals, and at 135-7 it looked as if England had lost the Test - and Lillee and Rod Marsh their money.

But then came the incredible turnaround.

Botham swung the bat, and with support from Graham Dilley, added 117 in 80 minutes. Another 67 came with Chris Old at the other end, and by the close of the day England had to find some hotel beds.

Botham and Willis added just five more runs the next morning to leave Australia a target of 130 to win, and at 56-1 they were firm favourites to do just that.

However, Willis changed ends, and bowling into the wind charged in like a man possessed to take 8-43, the best analysis of his career. Australia were undone - all out for 111.

The infamous case of Australia players Derek Lillee and Rod Marshall putting Ł1 on England when they saw the odds were 500-1 is oft repeated. Apparently, they gave the rather hefty sum in those days to the driver of the team coach who they had collect it.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:31 PM   #319
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Crap's was actually pick 10.6, just to avoid any confusion.

sab is up.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 05-22-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:41 PM   #320
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

sab is up and has $20 on the line.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:46 PM   #321
sabotai
General Manager

10.7 Wolfgang Funkel's penatly kick in the 81st minute gives Bayer Uerdingen the win over Dynamo Dresden, a 5 goal comeback, in the quarter finals of the European Clubs' Champions Cup in 1986 - Comeback

Bayer Uerdingen lost to Dynamo Dresden 2-0 in the first leg of their quarterfinal match in the 1986 European Clubs' Champions Cup. Down 3-1 at halftime in the 2nd match at home, Bayer looked down and out, but came out and started scoring goals. On the 78th minute, Dietmer Klinger scored their 4th goal of the half to make the 5-3. They still needed one more to pull off their incredible comeback since Dresden still had the win based on away goals. Bayer got that goal from Wolfgang Funkel off a penalty kick in the 81st minute which gave them the 6-3 lead in the game. Wolfgang Shafer sealed the deal scoring their 7th goal of the game in the 87th minute. They needed 5 goals in a half of soccer to pull off one of the greatest comebacks in soccer history and they got 6.

Sorry Pumpy.

Last edited by sabotai : 05-22-2007 at 03:47 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:54 PM   #322
Radii
Head Coach

While FM is popular here, and we're becoming a bit more worldly as we age at FOFC, I'm real curious to see how the Soccer picks are judged. Knowing that I'm picking for a specific audience here, I just can't ever see taking a moment in soccer, or any international event(Olympics) that doesn't involve a US Athlete.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:57 PM   #323
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Lathum's pick:

10.8 - Affirmed defeats alydar in the 1978 Belmont to be the last horse to win the triple crown - Speed
Old 05-22-2007, 06:38 PM   #324
Schmidty
Coordinator

10.9 - Down 38-3 in the late 3rd quarter, Michigan State scores 38 straight points against Northwestern in the greatest comeback in NCAA history.

This was the most exciting comeback I have ever seen in football.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Mi..._football_game
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:28 PM   #325
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

And with the final pick in the draft, Radii takes...

10.10 - Reggie Jackson takes his 3rd swing in game 6 of the 1977 world series... and hits his 3rd home run. - Power
Old 05-23-2007, 12:06 AM   #326
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
And with the final pick in the draft, Radii takes...

10.10 - Reggie Jackson takes his 3rd swing in game 6 of the 1977 world series... and hits his 3rd home run. - Power

nice way to end it. Even if it was a yankee
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:42 AM   #327
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

sabotai, for the record, the moment I was thinking of came from the AFL "Confetti Game" from the 2005 American Conference championship, Chicago at Colorado. While there was technically a comeback involved, your pick was much better.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:37 AM   #328
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Final round-by-round picks:

1.1 - "The Catch" - Joe Montana to Dwight Clark touchdown to win the NFC Championship for San Francisco- Clutch
1.2 - Kirk Gibson walk-off homer Game 1 WS win in 1988 - Drama
1.3 - The final out of game 7 of the 2004 ALCS - Comeback
1.4 - James "Buster" Douglas knocks out Mike Tyson in the 10th round on Feb 11th, 1990 - Upset
1.5 - Scott Norwood's missed FG at the end of the 1991 Super Bowl - Choke
1.6 - Maradona's 'Hand of God' goal, Argentina vs England 1986 World Cup Quarter-Final - Controversy
1.7 - "Do you believe in Miracles?", the final moments of the US/USSR 1980 Olympic hockey game - Upset
1.8 - Secretariat down the stretch at the 1973 Belmont Stakes - Speed
1.9 - Christian Laettner's shot to beat Kentucky with 2.1 seconds to go in the NCAA Regional finals in 1992 - Clutch
1.10 - Hank Aaron hits Home Run # 715 to break Babe Ruth's all time home run record - Record-breaking

2.1 - USSR defeats USA for the Olympic Gold Medal in Basketball after officials give them three chances to inbound the ball at the end of the game - Controversy
2.2 - Immaculate Reception December 23, 1972 Pittsburgh Steelers vs Oakland Raiders - Controversy
2.3 - Roger Bannister breaks the tape at the Iffley Road track to break the four minute mile - Record-breaking
2.4 - "The Play" - Cal returns a last second kickoff through the Stanford defense and their band - Comeback
2.5 - Jean Van de Velde's second shot on the last hole of the 1999 Open Championship at Carnoustie - Choke
2.6 - Clay Beats Liston - Upset
2.7 - Bill Buckner's error costs the Red Sox Game 6 of the 1986 World Series - Choke
2.8 - Don Larsen perfect world series game 5 1956 final out - Drama
2.9 - Cal Ripken celebrates with fans after breaking Lou Gehrig's consecutive game streak - Record-breaking
2.10 - "The Music City Miracle" - Incredible Kickoff Return by Tennessee to win the Wild Card playoff game vs Buffalo - Drama

3.1 - Mark McGwire's 62nd Home Run in 1998 - Record-breaking
3.2 - NC State's Lorenzo Charles dunks the ball to win the 1983 NCAA Title game - Upset
3.3 - Joe Carters walk off homerun game 6 1993 world series - Clutch
3.4 - Peter Rose hits his 4,192nd career hit to break Ty Cobb's all-time hit record - Record-breaking
3.5 - Luis Gonzalez singles off of Mariano Rivera in the bottom of the ninth of game seven to win the 2001 World Series - Clutch
3.6 - Michael Johnson's 19.32s in the 200m 1996 Olympic final - Speed
3.7 - Jesse Owens humiliates Adolt Hitler by winning gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics - Drama
3.8 The Shot 'Round the World. Bobby Thompson's homerun off Ralph Branca on the last day of the season to give the Giants the pennant - Drama
3.9 - Jackie Robinson becomes the first African American to play in the MLB as he steps on the field for the Brooklyn Dodgers - Emotion
3.10 - Larry Bird's steal and pass to Dennis Johnson for the last second victory in the 1987 Eastern Conference Finals - Clutch

4.1 - Mike Tyson flattens Michael Spinks in the first round - Power
4.2 - Willis Reed running onto the court during Game 7 of the NBA Finals against the Los Angeles Lakers in Madison Square Garden - Drama
4.3 - Super Bowl III, Jets 16, Colts 7, final seconds - Upset
4.4 - Lawrence Taylor breaks Joe Theismann's leg on MNF - Power
4.5 - Aryton Senna's crash at Imola 1994 - Emotion
4.6 - The OT touchdown in the 1958 NFL title game - Drama
4.7 - "Down goes Frazier. Down Goes Frazier." George Foreman knocks down Joe Frazier while winning the World Heavyweight championship - Power
4.8 - "The Tuck" - 2002 AFC Divisonal playoffs - Controversy
4.9 - Willy Mays over-the-shoulder catch in Game 1 of the 1954 World Series - Speed
4.10 - Colorado Scores on 5th down to beat Missouri in 1990 - Controversy

5.1 - Bo Kimble Shoots his first free throw of the 1990 NCAA Tournament left handed in memory of Hank Gathers - Emotion
5.2 - Chris Webber calls a timeout he doesn't have in the 1993 NCAA Championship game - Choke
5.3 - Rulon Gardner defeats Alexander Karelin in the 2000 Olympics - Power
5.4 - Bo Jackson blows by the Seattle defense for a 91 yard TD Run on MNF - Speed
5.5 - Joe Louis TKO's Max Schmeling - Emotion
5.6 - Ali KOs Foreman in The Rumble In The Jungle, 1974 - Upset
5.7 - Jordan's "final shot" beats the Jazz to win his sixth title - Clutch
5.8 - Hail Mary! Doug Flutie to Gerard Phelan lifts BC over Miami - Emotion
5.9 - George Foreman's Punch to Knockout Michael Moore to become the oldest heavyweight champion in history - Upset
5.10 - Francisco Cabrera hits a single to left field and Sid Bream runs to the plate for the winning run in game 7 of the 1992 NLCS - Drama

6.1 - Florida State, Wide Right 1991 - Choke
6.2 - Justin Leonard sinks 45 foot putt to cap off the greatest comeback in Ryder Cup History - 1999 Ryder Cup - Comeback
6.3 - Steve Christie kicks a field goal in overtime to cap the Bills rally from a 35-3 deficit - Comeback
6.4 - Greg Norman hugs Nick Faldo after blowing a six-stroke lead in the final round of the 1996 Masters - Choke
6.5 - Solskjaer's injury time winner, Bayern Munich vs Manchester United 1999 Champion's League Final - Drama
6.6 - Jerzy Dudek's penalty save from Shevchenko to seal the Champions League - Comeback
6.7 - Jason McElwain, an autistic 17 year old senior hits his 6th 3-pointer as the game ends in his high school basketball team's last home game - Emotion
6.8 - Dale Earnhardt killed in crash on final lap of Daytona 500 - Emotion
6.9 - Lance Armstrong crosses the finish line in 1999 and yells "I'm in Shock" as he wins his first Tour de France two years after almost dying from testicular cancer - Strength
6.10 - Time expires in the 1985 NCAA Championship game, Villanova plays the perfect game to beat Georgetown - Upset

7.1 - After having trailed 30-7 in the 4th quarter, John Hall kicks a FG in overtime to complete an amazing comeback by the Jets vs Miami on Monday Night Football in 2000 - Comeback
7.2 - Kerri Strug lands a vault on one leg, helping the US win the Oplympic gold medal over Russia for gymastics in 1996 - Emotion
7.3 - Texas Western defeats KU in 1966 Champioship game - Upset
7.4 Richard Steele stops the Julio Cesar Chavez-Meldrick Taylor fight with 2 seconds left in the 12th round, giving Chavez a TKO victory - Controversy
7.5 - Bill Mazeroski- Power - Hr to end the 1960 world series
7.6 - Bob Beamon shatters the long jump world record, 1968 Olympics in Mexico City - Record Breaking
7.7 - Dave Roberts steals second base off Mariano Rivera to start the Red Sox comeback in game four of the 2004 ALCS - Speed
7.8 - Freshman Michael Jordan sinks a jumper with 15 seconds left to lift North Carolina over Georgetown in the NCAA Championship Game, 63-62 - Clutch
7.9 - 1986 Western Conference Semifinals, Steve Smith scores the Series Clinching goal, for the wrong team - Choke
7.10 - Final seconds tick down in Chaminade's 77-72 victory over Virginia - Upset

8.1 - Smarty Jones gets run down at the end of the Belmont Stakes - Emotion
8.2. - Wayne Gretzky scores a goal to break Gordie Howe's career scoring record in a third of the time - Record Breaking
8.3 - George Brett Pine Tar incident - Controversy
8.4 - Ben Johnson destroys the field in the 100-meter final at the 1988 Seoul Olympics - Controversy
8.5 - David Beckham's free kick takes England to the 2002 World Cup - Clutch
8.6 - The 2003 ALCS - Grady Little leaving Pedro Martinez in - Controversy
8.7 - Al Unser Jr. beats Scott Goodyear by 0.043 seconds to win the 1992 Indianapolis 500 - Drama
8.8 - Andres Escobar scores and own goal in 1994 world cup, helping the USA win the game 2-1 and eliminate Columbia from the tournament - Choke
8.9 - Adam Vinatieri kicks a field goal to win Super Bowl XXXVI - Clutch
8.10 - Steve Bartman foul ball play begins the downfall of the 2003 Chicago Cubs - Choke

9.1 - Tony Dorsett breaks a 99 yard run on Monday Night Football vs the Minnesota Vikings in 1983 - Speed
9.2 - "No mas! No Mas!" Roberto Duran quits in the midst of 8th round of his 2nd bout versus Sugar Ray Leonard - Controversy
9.3 - Final out in Cy Youngs 511th win - Record-breaking
9.4 - Adam Vinatieri kicks a 45 yard FG in a snowstorm to tie the game vs. Oakland in the 2001 Playoffs - Clutch
9.5 - Michael Owen scoring against Argentina - Speed
9.6 - Henry Cooper knocks down Cassius Clay for the first time in his career - Power
9.7 - Joe DiMaggio grounds out with the bases loaded, ending his 56-game hitting streak - Record-breaking
9.8 - William the "Refrigerator" Perry plows across the goal line in Super Bowl XX - Power
9.9 - Rickey Henderson steals the 939th base of his career, one more than Lou Brock - Speed
9.10 - 1994, Dan Marino's Fake Spike completes a comeback against the rival Jets - Comeback

10.1 - 1964 Olympics 10,000 meters, Billy Mills outkicks his rivals to win the Gold Medal - Speed
10.2 - Hulk Hogan becomes the first person to slam 520-pound Andre The Giant - Power
10.3- Roy "Wrong Way" Riegels picks up a fumble in the 1929 Rose Bowl and returns it 65 yards....the wrong direction - Choke
10.4 - Dave Dravecky's arm snaps during a pitch, ending his comeback from cancer - Emotion
10.5 - Bob Willis bowls Ray Bright to win the test for England after being asked to follow on - 3rd Test at Headingley, 1981 Ashes - Comeback
10.6 - The final out of Nolan Ryan's 7th no hitter, at age 44 - Record Breaking
10.7 - Wolfgang Funkel's penatly kick in the 81st minute gives Bayer Uerdingen the win over Dynamo Dresden, capping a five-goal comeback - Comeback
10.8 - Affirmed defeats Alydar in the 1978 Belmont to be the last horse to win the triple crown - Speed
10.9 - Down 38-3 in the late 3rd quarter, Michigan State scores the winning points against Northwestern in the greatest comeback in NCAA history - Comeback
10.10 - Reggie Jackson takes his 3rd swing in game 6 of the 1977 World Series and hits his 3rd home run. - Power
Old 05-23-2007, 08:37 AM   #329
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Final rosters:

Radii
1.1 - "The Catch" - Joe Montana to Dwight Clark touchdown to win the NFC Championship for San Francisco- Clutch
2.10 - "The Music City Miracle" - Incredible Kickoff Return by Tennessee to win the Wild Card playoff game vs Buffalo - Drama
3.1 - Mark McGwire's 62nd Home Run in 1998 - Record-breaking
4.10 - Colorado Scores on 5th down to beat Missouri in 1990 - Controversy
5.1 - Bo Kimble Shoots his first free throw of the 1990 NCAA Tournament left handed in memory of Hank Gathers - Emotion
6.10 - Time expires in the 1985 NCAA Championship game, Villanova plays the perfect game to beat Georgetown - Upset
7.1 - After having trailed 30-7 in the 4th quarter, John Hall kicks a FG in overtime to complete an amazing comeback by the Jets vs Miami on Monday Night Football in 2000 - Comeback
8.10 - Steve Bartman foul ball play begins the downfall of the 2003 Chicago Cubs - Choke
9.1 - Tony Dorsett breaks a 99 yard run on Monday Night Football vs the Minnesota Vikings in 1983 - Speed
10.10 - Reggie Jackson takes his 3rd swing in game 6 of the 1977 World Series and hits his 3rd home run - Power

Schmidty
1.2 - Kirk Gibson walk-off homer Game 1 WS win in 1988- Drama
2.9 - Cal Ripken celebrates with fans after breaking Lou Gehrig's consecutive game streak - Record-breaking
3.2 - NC State's Lorenzo Charles dunks the ball to win the 1983 NCAA Title game - Upset
4.9 - Willy Mays over-the-shoulder catch in Game 1 of the 1954 World Series - Speed
5.2 - Chris Webber calls a timeout he doesn't have in the 1993 NCAA Championship game - Choke
6.9 - Lance Armstrong crosses the finish line in 1999 and yells "I'm in Shock" as he wins his first Tour de France two years after almost dying from testicular cancer - Strength
7.2 - Kerri Strug lands a vault on one leg, helping the US win the Oplympic gold medal over Russia for gymastics in 1996 - Emotion
8.9 - Adam Vinatieri kicks a field goal to win Super Bowl XXXVI - Clutch
9.2 - "No mas! No Mas!" Roberto Duran quits in the midst of 8th round of his 2nd bout versus Sugar Ray Leonard - Controversy
10.9 - Down 38-3 in the late 3rd quarter, Michigan State scores the winning points against Northwestern in the greatest comeback in NCAA history - Comeback

Lathum
1.3 - The final out of game 7 of the 2004 ALCS - Comeback
2.8 - Don Larsen perfect world series game 5 1956 final out - Drama
3.3 - Joe Carters walk off homerun game 6 1993 world series - Clutch
4.8 - "The Tuck" - 2002 AFC Divisonal playoffs - Controversy
5.3 - Rulon Gardner defeats Alexander Karelin in the 2000 Olympics - Power
6.8 - Dale Earnhardt killed in crash on final lap of Daytona 500 - Emotion
7.3 - Texas Western defeats KU in 1966 Champioship game - Upset
8.8 - Andres Escobar scores and own goal in 1994 world cup, helping the USA win the game 2-1 and eliminate Columbia from the tournament - Choke
9.3 - Final out in Cy Youngs 511th win - Record-breaking
10.8 - Affirmed defeats alydar in the 1978 Belmont to be the last horse to win the triple crown - Speed

sabotai
1.4 - James "Buster" Douglas knocks out Mike Tyson in the 10th round on Feb 11th, 1990 - Upset
2.7 - Bill Buckner's error costs the Red Sox Game 6 of the 1986 World Series - Choke
3.4 - Peter Rose hits his 4,192nd career hit to break Ty Cobb's all-time hit record - Record-breaking
4.7 - "Down goes Frazier. Down Goes Frazier." George Foreman knocks down Joe Frazier while winning the World Heavyweight championship - Power
5.4 - Bo Jackson blows by the Seattle defense for a 91 yard TD Run on MNF - Speed
6.7 - Jason McElwain, an autistic 17 year old senior hits his 6th 3-pointer as the game ends in his high school basketball team's last home game - Emotion
7.4 Richard Steele stops the Julio Cesar Chavez-Meldrick Taylor fight with 2 seconds left in the 12th round, giving Chavez a TKO victory - Controversy
8.7 - Al Unser Jr. beats Scott Goodyear by 0.043 seconds to win the 1992 Indianapolis 500 - Drama
9.4 - Adam Vinatieri kicks a 45 yard FG in a snowstorm to tie the game vs. Oakland in the 2001 Playoffs - Clutch
10.7 - Wolfgang Funkel's penatly kick in the 81st minute gives Bayer Uerdingen the win over Dynamo Dresden, capping a five-goal comeback - Comeback

Crapshoot
1.5 - Scott Norwood's missed FG at the end of the 1991 Super Bowl - Choke
2.6 - Clay Beats Liston - Upset
3.5 - Luis Gonzalez singles off of Mariano Rivera in the bottom of the ninth of game seven to win the 2001 World Series - Clutch
4.6 - The OT touchdown in the 1958 NFL title game - Drama
5.5 - Joe Louis TKO's Max Schmeling - Emotion
6.6 - Jerzy Dudek's penalty save from Shevchenko to seal the Champions League - Comeback
7.5 - Bill Mazeroski - Hr to end the 1960 world series - Power
8.6 - The 2003 ALCS - Grady Little leaving Pedro Martinez in - Controversy
9.5 - Michael Owen scoring against Argentina - Speed
10.6 - Nolan Ryan's 7th no hitter, at age 44 - the final out - Record Breaking

tanglewood
1.6 - Maradona's 'Hand of God' goal, Argentina vs England 1986 World Cup Quarter-Final - Controversy
2.5 - Jean Van de Velde's second shot on the last hole of the 1999 Open Championship at Carnoustie - Choke
3.6 - Michael Johnson's 19.32s in the 200m 1996 Olympic final - Speed
4.5 - Aryton Senna's crash at Imola 1994 - Emotion
5.6 - Ali KOs Foreman in The Rumble In The Jungle, 1974 - Upset
6.5 - Solskjaer's injury time winner, Bayern Munich vs Manchester United 1999 Champion's League Final - Drama
7.6 - Bob Beamon shatters the long jump world record, 1968 Olympics in Mexico City - Record-breaking
8.5 - David Beckham's free kick takes England to the 2002 World Cup - Clutch
9.6 - Henry Cooper knocks down Cassius Clay for the first time in his career - Power
10.5 - Bob Willis bowls Ray Bright to win the test for England after being asked to follow on - Comeback

Maple Leafs
1.7 - "Do you believe in Miracles?", the final moments of the US/USSR 1980 Olympic hockey game - Upset
2.4 - "The Play" - Cal returns a last second kickoff through the Stanford defense and their band - Comeback
3.7 - Jesse Owens humiliates Adolt Hitler by winning gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics - Drama
4.4 - Lawrence Taylor breaks Joe Theismann's leg on MNF - Power
5.7 - Jordan's "final shot" beats the Jazz to win his sixth title - Clutch
6.4 - Greg Norman hugs Nick Faldo after blowing a six-stroke lead in the final round of the 1996 Masters - Choke
7.7 - Dave Roberts steals second base off Mariano Rivera to start the Red Sox comeback in game four of the 2004 ALCS - Speed
8.4 - Ben Johnson destroys the field in the 100-meter final at the 1988 Seoul Olympics - Controversy
9.7 - Joe DiMaggio grounds out with the bases loaded, ending his 56-game hitting streak - Record-breaking

digamma
1.8 - Secretariat down the stretch at the 1973 Belmont Stakes - Speed
2.3 - Roger Bannister breaks the tape at the Iffley Road track to break the four minute mile - Record-breaking
3.8 The Shot 'Round the World. Bobby Thompson's homerun off Ralph Branca on the last day of the season to give the Giants the pennant - Drama
4.3 - Super Bowl III, Jets 16, Colts 7, final seconds - Upset
5.8 - Hail Mary! Doug Flutie to Gerard Phelan lifts BC over Miami - Emotion
6.3 - Steve Christie kicks a field goal in overtime to cap the Bills rally from a 35-3 deficit - Comeback
7.8 - Freshman Michael Jordan sinks a jumper with 15 seconds left to lift North Carolina over Georgetown in the NCAA Championship Game, 63-62 - Clutch
8.3 - George Brett Pine Tar incident - Controversy
9.8 - William the "Refrigerator" Perry plows across the goal line in Super Bowl XX - Power
10.3- Roy "Wrong Way" Riegels picks up a fumble in the 1929 Rose Bowl and returns it 65 yards....the wrong direction - Choke

bsak16
1.9 - Christian Laettner's shot to beat Kentucky with 2.1 seconds to go in the NCAA Regional finals in 1992 - Clutch
2.2 - Immaculate Reception December 23, 1972 Pittsburgh Steelers vs Oakland Raiders - Controversy
3.9 - Jackie Robinson becomes the first African American to play in the MLB as he steps on the field for the Brooklyn Dodgers - Emotion
4.2 - Willis Reed running onto the court during Game 7 of the NBA Finals against the Los Angeles Lakers in Madison Square Garden - Drama
5.9 - George Foreman's Punch to Knockout Michael Moore to become the oldest heavyweight champion in history - Upset
6.2 Justin Leonard sinks 45 foot putt to cap off the greatest comeback in Ryder Cup History - 1999 Ryder Cup - Comeback
7.9 - 1986 Western Conference Semifinals, Steve Smith scores the Series Clinching goal, for the wrong team - Choke
8.2. - Wayne Gretzky scores a goal to break Gordie Howe's career scoring record in a third of the time - Record Breaking
9.9 - Rickey Henderson steals the 939th base of his career, one more than Lou Brock - Speed
10.2 - Hulk Hogan becomes the first person to slam 520-pound Andre The Giant - Power

larrymcg421
1.10 - Hank Aaron hits Home Run # 715 to break Babe Ruth's all time home run record - Record-breaking
2.1 - USSR defeats USA for the Olympic Gold Medal in Basketball after officials give them three chances to inbound the ball at the end of the game - Controversy
3.10 - Larry Bird's steal and pass to Dennis Johnson for the last second victory in the 1987 Eastern Conference Finals - Clutch
4.1 - Mike Tyson flattens Michael Spinks in the first round - Power
5.10 - Francisco Cabrera hits a single to left field and Sid Bream runs to the plate for the winning run in game 7 of the 1992 NLCS - Drama
6.1 - Florida State, Wide Right 1991 - Choke
7.10 - Final seconds tick down in Chaminade's 77-72 victory over Virginia - Upset
8.1 - Smarty Jones gets run down at the end of the Belmont Stakes - Emotion
Old 05-23-2007, 12:36 PM   #330
Huckleberry
College Starter

Psh.

No Vince Young gamewinning TD against USC for either clutch, comeback, or drama?

You all lose.

Oh, and I figured I would see Derek Redmond in the Olympic 400m event for emotion.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Last edited by Huckleberry : 05-23-2007 at 12:37 PM.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:51 PM   #331
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Psh.

No Vince Young gamewinning TD against USC for either clutch, comeback, or drama?

You all lose.

This was my second pick in all three of those categories, actually.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:00 PM   #332
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post

I was wondering them same thing myself. That had to be one of the greatest games by a single player in the modern era of college football. Vince was playing out of his mind that night...
Old 05-23-2007, 01:10 PM   #333
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Some moments I was suprised not to see picked...

- Speed
Devin Hester returns the opening kickoff of Super Bowl XLI for a touchdown
Michael Vick's 46-yard touchdown run in overtime to beat the Vikings

- Power
Bo Jackson runs over Brian Bosworth on his way to the end zone

- Controversy
Mike Tyson bites off Evander Holyfield's ear
Brett Hull scores the Cup-winning goal with his skate in the crease
Pete Rose crushes Ray Fosse at home plate during the 1970 all-star game

- Drama
Clint Malarchuk's desperately clutches his throat after his jugular is slice during a game
Bobby Orr flies through the air after scoring the Cup-winning goal against the Blues
Babe Ruth call his shot before hitting a home run against the Cubs in the World Series

- Record-breaking
Ted Williams takes the field on the season's final day rather than sit his way to a rounded-up .400, finishes at .406
Wilt Chamberlin's scores his 100th point in a single game

- Clutch
Dave Henderson homers off of Donnie Moore after the Angels had been one strike away from eliminating Boston
Kirby Puckett homers in extra innings to win Game Six of the 1991 World Series

- Choke
Jon Carney misses the extra point after the Saints multi-lateral touchdown in the final game of the season
Gary Andersen misses a FG for the first time all year in the dying minutes of the 1999 NFC Championship game, costing the 15-1 Vikings a trip to the Super Bowl

- Emotion
"I'm here, son" -- An injured Derek Redmond hobbles across the finish line with help from his father during the 1992 Olympics

- Upset
The "Miracle Mets" clinch the 1969 World Series

- Comeback
Mark Johnson catches a touchdown pass from John Elway, capping off "The Drive" and tying the AFC championship game with seconds left
The Kings complete the "Miracle on Manchester", coming back from a 5-0 deficit to beat the Oilers 6-5 in a playoff game

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 05-23-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:15 PM   #334
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ted Williams takes the field on the season's final day rather than sit his way to a rounded-up .400, finishes at .406

That technically didn't break any records. But drama would fit.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:17 PM   #335
Huckleberry
College Starter

Now that Maple Leafs has confirmed the surprise that Derek Redmond's moment wasn't selected I think we have a new possible selection:

Derek Redmond's picking himself up off the track and beginning to hobble toward the finish line on a torn hamstring halfway through his 400m heat in the 1992 Olympics is not selected in the FOFC Sports Moments Draft - Upset

Old 05-23-2007, 01:21 PM   #336
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Clutch
Kirby Puckett homers in extra innings to win Game Six of the 1991 World Series

Unfortunately the only video I can find. Not very good, but you can still hear, "And we'll see you, tomorrow night!"

Agreed, one of the greatest World Series ever, also could have been considered was Jack Morris records the final out of the top of the 10th inning in game 7 for a 10 inning complete game shutout, and although it didn't deserve to be drafted had a great controversy moment with Hrbek pulling Ron Gant off first base.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:23 PM   #337
Ramzavail
College Starter

great job guys

but for upset, I am surprised David Volek's goal against the Penguins in 93 to end their playoffs in game 7 OT after they had won the cup the previous two years wasn't picked. I've always said it was the greatest sports moment of my lifetime - but maybe I am alone

I'll just never forget hearing Jiggs McDonald say "There will be a new Stanley Cup Champion"
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:29 PM   #338
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
That technically didn't break any records. But drama would fit.
Well, it's still the "modern" record for batting average.

And technically, Nolan Ryan's 7th no-hitter, DiMaggio's 56th game and Cy Young's 511th win didn't break any records either (other than their own).
Old 05-23-2007, 01:44 PM   #339
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

One of the ones I was thinking of using...

Game 6 of the 1975 World Series Carlton Fisk powers a ball down the left field line for the game winning home run - Power, Drama, Emotion, Clutch

Red Sox catcher Carlton Fisk was facing Reds pitcher Pat Darcy in a 6-6 game. Fisk hit a drive down the left field line, and the enduring image of Fisk jumping and waving the ball fair as he made his way to first base is inarguably one of baseball's greatest moments. The ball struck the foul pole, giving the Red Sox a 7-6 win and forcing a seventh and deciding game. The next day, the Reds won the series in the seventh game.

Another was Ted Williams homering in his last at bat.

Jeremy Roenick scoring the series winning goal against Toronto, the last time the Maple Leafs will ever be, I mean...were in the playoffs.

The Reggie Bush Push. Leinart pushing Reggie Bush into the endzone to beat Notre Dame.

Jack Nicklaus sinking a birdie putt on #17 in Augusta to take the lead in the 1986 Masters in which he would win. At 46 he became the oldest player to win a major.

Tiger Woods winning the 2006 British Open, a few months after losing his father, then breaking down after the final putt.

Ben Crenshaw's final putt in the 1995 Masters. Him slumped over with emotion after winning the tournament only a week after his friend and mentor Harvey Penick died.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 05-23-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:47 PM   #340
Logan
Head Coach

Clutch - Mark Messier completes a "natural" hat trick against the New Jersey Devils in Game 6 of the 1994 Eastern Conference Finals, fulfilling his guarantee of victory.

It had been 54 years since the Rangers last won the Stanley Cup, and 1994 was arguably their best team since that time. Led be Messier, Adam Graves, Brian Leetch, and Mike Richter, the Rangers won the President's Trophy and quickly eliminated the Islanders and Capitals in the first two rounds. That set up a matchup with the rival New Jersey Devils, which the Rangers were heavily favored in thanks to their 6-0 record vs NJ in the regular season.

However, after five games, the Rangers found themselves down 3-2 and on the verge of elimination heading into Game 6 on the road. That's when Messier, the greatest captain in the history of team sports, guaranteed that the Rangers will win Game 6 and bring it back to MSG for a Game 7.

Didn't get off to a hot start, as the Rangers were down 2-0 in the 2nd period. That's when Messier went to work. First, he set up Alex Kovalev for a goal to get on the board before the 2nd intermission. And then in the 3rd period, he scored the tying goal. He followed that up with the go-ahead goal, backing up his talk by single-handedly getting his team the lead. With just under 2 minutes left, the Devils had a power play and also pulled their goalie to get a 6 on 4 advantage. Messier was on the ice for his defense. But he got to a loose puck and fired a long sweeping shot down the ice, dead center into the empty net. The Rangers won 4-2 behind their captain's natural hat trick. A true captain's game.

The Rangers went on to win Game 7 in double overtime, thanks to Matteau! Matteau! Matteau! and then beat Vancouver in 7 games. Messier raised the Cup for the Rangers on June 14, 1994 after a 3-2 victory. Who do you think scored the game winning goal?

Last edited by Logan : 05-23-2007 at 01:48 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:31 PM   #341
Huckleberry
College Starter

I just thought of Gene Sarazen's double eagle in the 1935 Masters. Problem is it doesn't have a great category. Clutch or comeback?

Old 05-23-2007, 03:04 PM   #342
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

I was surprised no one used for controversy
the Bobby Riggs vs. Billie Jean King battle of the sexes tennis match.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:25 PM   #343
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Gee, thanks a lot for the reminder, Logan. No, really, thanks.

I actually seriously disliked Brodeur for years after those last two games in '94 against the Rangers. I didn't become a Brodeur fan until several years later, even though the Devils won the Cup in '95.

Matteau, Matteau, Matt-kiss my ass.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:30 PM   #344
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post
I was surprised no one used for controversy
the Bobby Riggs vs. Billie Jean King battle of the sexes tennis match.

I was going to use that for upset.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:31 PM   #345
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Gee, thanks a lot for the reminder, Logan. No, really, thanks.

I actually seriously disliked Brodeur for years after those last two games in '94 against the Rangers. I didn't become a Brodeur fan until several years later, even though the Devils won the Cup in '95.

Matteau, Matteau, Matt-kiss my ass.

So how did you feel about Adam Graves beating Brodeur in OT on another wraparound during that Mother's Day game in '97 that won the series?

(here's where you point out all the success the Devs have had since then)
Old 05-23-2007, 03:31 PM   #346
digamma
Torchbearer

The one's I had been considering in addition to VY's run (some have already been mentioned)....
Bucky freakin' Dent
Carlton Fisk's homerun
the 1950 US upset over England in soccer
Dan Jansen finally winning his Olympic Gold
Roy Jones getting screwed at the 88 Olympics
Roberto De Vicenzo signing the wrong scorecard at the Masters
Old 05-23-2007, 03:44 PM   #347
Logan
Head Coach

Here's one I would've picked for drama:

Robin Ventura of the New York Mets hits a "grand slam single" in the pouring rain during the 15th inning to win Game 5 of the 1999 NLCS vs the Braves.

Not only was it dramatic because it was a walk-off grand slam in the playoffs, but since Ventura got mobbed by Todd Pratt (who was the runner on 1st at the time of the at bat) and then the rest of his teammates in between 1st and 2nd, he never crossed home. Only Roger Cedeno (on 3rd) touched home, so just his run counted, and the Mets won the game 4-3.

According to wiki (through baseball-reference.com), there were two known "grand slam singles" before this. None of them came in the playoffs, and they both counted for 3 runs since the batter had passed one of the runners.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:54 PM   #348
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Robin Ventura of the New York Mets hits a "grand slam single" in the pouring rain during the 15th inning to win Game 5 of the 1999 NLCS vs the Braves.
How about: Nolan Ryan pummels Robin Ventura for charging the mound - Power
Old 05-23-2007, 04:06 PM   #349
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
How about: Nolan Ryan pummels Robin Ventura for charging the mound - Power

That would have been a great "sleeper" pick.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:15 PM   #350
Schmidty
Coordinator

So.......is there going to be a voting thread?
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote