Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-14-2016, 02:56 PM   #251
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Something I've never seen in any of the stories, how did that guy turn out?

DUI victim, Tufano, hopes Matt Bush can right his ways | FOX Sports
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:07 PM   #252
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
You forgot the part about how he was in such a hurry to flee the scene that he ran the guy's head over with his car.

And he ended up getting a sentence that matches the low end for what causing one or more deaths in Florida draws.

| Miami Herald
Old 05-15-2016, 01:27 AM   #253
Suicane75
Coordinator

Phillies have a murderers row of a month coming up, but they're only 1 game out and have already provided more fun than I think anyone in their right mind would have anticipated coming into the year. If you're an old school kind of guy, they are fun as heck to watch. Herrera looks like he may be the real deal but outside of him, nobody on the team is really hitting, not even Franco.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:29 AM   #254
Suicane75
Coordinator

I know it shouldn't be this way, but I have more compassion for Bush, because this guy does. He's got so many checkpoints in his life right now, that if he screws up again, he's only going to hurt himself, so if he wants to pitch, and he can pitch, I'm OK with it.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:41 AM   #255
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Phillies have a murderers row of a month coming up, but they're only 1 game out and have already provided more fun than I think anyone in their right mind would have anticipated coming into the year. If you're an old school kind of guy, they are fun as heck to watch. Herrera looks like he may be the real deal but outside of him, nobody on the team is really hitting, not even Franco.

Agreed. When the ESPN guys analyzed the early schedules, they predicted the Phillies could be one of the surprises of the league. I don't think anyone could have predicted this, or predicted the staff would be this sharp.

Of course, the hitting...as a pitcher, I love this team. Easiest to say it that way, I guess.

Nobody expects them to keep this up. I'm not even sure, in the long game, I entirely want them to. But they're fantastic to follow. Most fun I've had since 2011, though, really, since 2007-08. It's fantastic to see them pulling wins out of nowhere.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:26 PM   #256
Logan
Head Coach

Brawl in Texas. Odor clocked Bautista with a straight right.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:27 PM   #257
Logan
Head Coach

Old 05-15-2016, 06:06 PM   #258
cuervo72
Head Coach

That's a quality punch.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:06 PM   #259
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And he very nearly took him out with the sidearm throw to first.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:20 PM   #260
miked
College Starter

Could not have happened to a more deserving player.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:53 PM   #261
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Old 05-15-2016, 11:52 PM   #262
Johnny93g
College Starter

Odur plays the game the right way!! lol

And his best punch couldn't drop him......
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 05-15-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:22 AM   #263
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Odor is a fucking bitch. Throws a quality right though. Would have been interesting had Bautista known he was in a fight first before Captain Bitch decked him. Thing about Odor is that he is a good player who goes hard, but how every pitcher resists the urge to put one in his earhole everytime he is at bat is beyond me.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:48 AM   #264
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Odor is a fucking bitch. Throws a quality right though. Would have been interesting had Bautista known he was in a fight first before Captain Bitch decked him. Thing about Odor is that he is a good player who goes hard, but how every pitcher resists the urge to put one in his earhole everytime he is at bat is beyond me.

Once a guy shoves you in the chest, you should know you're in a fight.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:59 AM   #265
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Once a guy shoves you in the chest, you should know you're in a fight.

Really, maybe with Odur, but in reality, he went from 0-100 in a half a second.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:00 AM   #266
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

He shoved him and then the overhand right came as soon as he got his balance back. Pretty sure Bautista was surprised Odor lost his shit that fast, otherwise he'd have been in more of a defensive positioning.

The more I see this and read stuff, the less respect I have for Bannister. What a bitch move waiting until the end to try and show everyone what a tough guy he is. Is there a manger out there he hasn't pissed off yet? I know Hinch wanted to kick his ass last year too
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:12 AM   #267
Easy Mac

Another Odor slide from the end of last year

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266...ella-at-second
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #268
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
He shoved him and then the overhand right came as soon as he got his balance back. Pretty sure Bautista was surprised Odor lost his shit that fast, otherwise he'd have been in more of a defensive positioning.

Schoolyard 101. Bautista not being ready after shoving Odor is nobody's fault but his own.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:23 PM   #269
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

2 assholes continually act like assholes and get into a fight? That is bringing the excitement back to baseball!

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:17 PM   #270
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Schoolyard 101. Bautista not being ready after shoving Odor is nobody's fault but his own.
Bautista was the one shoved, not the other way around. But yes, he should have expected a swing after being shoved like that.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:46 AM   #271
rowech
Pro Starter

Fredi Gonzalez is the happiest person in America right now.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:25 AM   #272
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Bautista was the one shoved, not the other way around. But yes, he should have expected a swing after being shoved like that.

Ugh, sorry, It happened so fast, it seemed like a natural reaction to a push, I think my brain was making assumptions based on what normal fights look like. Now all I see is one-sided aggression. Oh, well, schoolyard rules still apply, defend yourself at all times, but it makes Bautista look less bad for sure.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:55 AM   #273
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Rougned Odor's been a shit for a long time
Old 05-17-2016, 12:25 PM   #274
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Interesting side note: apparently Garrett Richards is going to give the stem cell treatment a try before opting for TJ surgery. If it works, he could be back in six weeks.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:01 PM   #275
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Interesting side note: apparently Garrett Richards is going to give the stem cell treatment a try before opting for TJ surgery. If it works, he could be back in six weeks.

So Garrett Richards will be having TJ surgery in 7 weeks.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:19 PM   #276
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Aftermath of the Sunday brawl:

Odor 8 games, $5k fine
Bautista 1 game
Andrus 1 game
Gibbons 3 games
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:14 PM   #277
rowech
Pro Starter

I might drive down tomorrow and tryout for the Reds pitching staff. I would be cheaper than these guys and can do just as well.

Last edited by rowech : 05-17-2016 at 06:15 PM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:08 PM   #278
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So Garrett Richards will be having TJ surgery in 7 weeks.

Likely. But he was already likely to miss the 2017 season anyway, so it's no real loss to give this a shot.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 05-17-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:59 PM   #279
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Clayton Kershaw is now 80-0 when the Dodgers get him 4 runs. That is absurd.

He's got a chance to make it to 82-0 now.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:28 PM   #280
MrBug708
Head Coach

6th game in a row with 10+ K's, less than a walk, and a win. Pretty incredible so far. Also was given the lead because Mike Trout was less than Mike Trout in the OF. It was like two seconds after they promo'ed his over the wall catch bobblehead night on Friday.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:18 AM   #281
stevew
Hall Of Famer

From MSN

The Atlanta Braves fired Fredi Gonzalez after six years with the team. The timing of the firing was bad, but how Gonzalez found out was even worse.

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Gonzalez found out that he was fired after receiving an airline confirmation for a Tuesday flight back to Atlanta. The Braves' series at Pittsburgh goes through Thursday, and with the rumors surrounding his job for weeks, it was clear what that early flight meant.

It doesn't get much rougher than that.

From the AJC:

The Braves had already made the decision to fire him and booked his commercial flight home Tuesday, but didn't plan to tell him he'd been fired until Tuesday morning, after president of baseball operations John Hart flew to Pittsburgh to join general manager John Coppolella.

Later Monday night after getting the email, Gonzalez eventually had confirmed by Braves top officials what he already was certain about by then: He was fired.

Gonzalez wouldn't discuss the email with the AJC and didn't have anything bad to say about the Atlanta front office.

The Braves are off to a historically bad start this season. Their 9-28 record is the worst in the league.

Last edited by stevew : 05-18-2016 at 02:18 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:28 AM   #282
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
From MSN

The Atlanta Braves fired Fredi Gonzalez after six years with the team. The timing of the firing was bad, but how Gonzalez found out was even worse.

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Gonzalez found out that he was fired after receiving an airline confirmation for a Tuesday flight back to Atlanta. The Braves' series at Pittsburgh goes through Thursday, and with the rumors surrounding his job for weeks, it was clear what that early flight meant.

It doesn't get much rougher than that.

From the AJC:

The Braves had already made the decision to fire him and booked his commercial flight home Tuesday, but didn't plan to tell him he'd been fired until Tuesday morning, after president of baseball operations John Hart flew to Pittsburgh to join general manager John Coppolella.

Later Monday night after getting the email, Gonzalez eventually had confirmed by Braves top officials what he already was certain about by then: He was fired.

Gonzalez wouldn't discuss the email with the AJC and didn't have anything bad to say about the Atlanta front office.

The Braves are off to a historically bad start this season. Their 9-28 record is the worst in the league.

They gave him a one year extension, a AA ballclub, and no chance of coaching in the new stadium. It's basically the plot of Major League. He wasn't a great coach by any stretch, but I imagine he's just relieved to be done with this crap show.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:24 PM   #283
MrBug708
Head Coach

Darn. Kershaw only had a 7/1 K/BB ratio today.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:55 PM   #284
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So the Rangers and the City of Arlington are planning to build a new $1 billion stadium. The current ballpark is only 22 years old, and is in great shape. But I guess since they built Jerry's World next door, they need to have something new. It will be nice to go to a day game in the summer without having to worry about heat stroke.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:16 PM   #285
Logan
Head Coach

How much is the city kicking in?
Old 05-24-2016, 01:18 PM   #286
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
How much is the city kicking in?

$500 million from each, with the team responsible for anything over $1 billion. They are using the same sales tax already in place that was used to fund the city's share of Jerry's World. They are paying that off 7 years earlier than expected.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:42 PM   #287
cartman
Death Herald

Nomar Mazara with a 491 foot blast in the game between the Angels and Rangers today. Longest HR in the majors so far this season, and the longest ever hit at Globe Life Park.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:57 PM   #288
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Nomar Mazara with a 491 foot blast in the game between the Angels and Rangers today. Longest HR in the majors so far this season, and the longest ever hit at Globe Life Park.

He looks like the real deal. Surprised he hasnt been talked about much. Seems very underrated as a prospect.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:01 PM   #289
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
He looks like the real deal. Surprised he hasnt been talked about much. Seems very underrated as a prospect.

He did get the biggest signing bonus ($5 million) for a non-American player when he signed at the age of 16. He has been highly rated on prospect lists, but he is pretty young, just turned 21. I don't think he was expected to be as good as he has been at this point at the major league level.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:05 PM   #290
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
So the Rangers and the City of Arlington are planning to build a new $1 billion stadium. The current ballpark is only 22 years old, and is in great shape. But I guess since they built Jerry's World next door, they need to have something new. It will be nice to go to a day game in the summer without having to worry about heat stroke.
Is this being received favorably there? Are folks really OK will putting half a billion into a new stadium?
Old 05-25-2016, 05:11 PM   #291
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Is this being received favorably there? Are folks really OK will putting half a billion into a new stadium?

I think the vote will be to approve it, more as a matter of civic pride in keeping the Rangers in Arlington long term and not letting them move to Dallas. But most folks don't seem to be happy with demolishing a less than 25 year old stadium.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:09 PM   #292
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Half a billion for a stadium in Texas? If they can find a way to get some high school football in there on Fridays, that shit'll get funded by next week.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:20 AM   #293
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

The press keeps mentioning how this is Big Papi's last season; quietly, this is probably Ryan Howard's last season as well. The Phillies will certainly exercise the buyout on his contract this offseason (if he's still around), and as poorly as he has played, there's a good chance no other team will touch him next year, even for a spring invite.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:33 AM   #294
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
The press keeps mentioning how this is Big Papi's last season; quietly, this is probably Ryan Howard's last season as well. The Phillies will certainly exercise the buyout on his contract this offseason (if he's still around), and as poorly as he has played, there's a good chance no other team will touch him next year, even for a spring invite.

Arguably the worst contract in mlb history.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:54 AM   #295
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Arguably the worst contract in mlb history.

This made me think of Mo Vaughn. I went to his stats in his later years and his fall off wasnt near as bad as a remembered. In fact his 02 season was very similar to some of Howards better years.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:36 PM   #296
MrBug708
Head Coach

Dodgers call up 19 year old Julio Urias to start vs the Mets.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #297
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

As Memorial Day weekend approaches, both the Braves and the Twins are on pace to match the worst record in modern (1900-) baseball history. 42-120 would match the 1962 Mets.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:38 PM   #298
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

And the Reds have a worse run differential than both.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:44 AM   #299
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
As Memorial Day weekend approaches, both the Braves and the Twins are on pace to match the worst record in modern (1900-) baseball history. 42-120 would match the 1962 Mets.

Another worst to first World Series on the horizon for next season. Twins just cant get away from these unproductive players like Plouffe, Dozier, Suzuki and of course these below average pitchers they give huge contracts too like Hughes, Nolasco, Santana. They are stuck in a time warp.

The cure was suppose to be coming in Buxton and Sano and this group of young pitching prospects but of course they are having a hard time finding room for the young talent because they need to keep these known unproductive players on the field for whatever reason.

Twins are loyal to a fault with their management. Terry Ryan could go winless for the next 3 years and keep his job. Gardenhire got to stick around for years despite them going downhill in a hurry.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:45 AM   #300
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
And the Reds have a worse run differential than both.

Reds should trade Jay Bruce to the Yankees. I am sure theyd take him. I havent seen a good reason for Bruce to be on the team for the past 3 years. Hes not that good, doesnt improve and gets paid a lot. He has to be about the worst baseball player to have had to watch on your team this long. The type of player that has a reputation of being good so he bats 4th or 5th every game but in reality isnt good at all(Ryan Howard).

The Reds got to the point of the White Sox a few years ago and the Phillies a couple years ago. They stayed the course with the same core group too long and ended up with an aging team without any upside. Votto deserves better so I hope they speed up the rebuilding process or trade him to a contender.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 05-28-2016 at 12:54 AM.