Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-01-2009, 08:25 AM   #251
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I meant Memphis...and it was a joke in the "day late, dollar short" category.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-01-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #252
Swaggs
Coordinator

That's pretty much it. The third party firms contact coaches' agents and float openings and numbers, so there is little to no egg on either party's face if there is little/no interest.

In the case of Michigan hiring Beilein and Rodriguez away from WVU, there was never any permission requested or granted.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #253
Swaggs
Coordinator

Am I crazy or would Billy Gillispie actually be a pretty good hire for Memphis now?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:35 AM   #254
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Am I crazy or would Billy Gillispie actually be a pretty good hire for Memphis now?

Are you hitting the Moonshine again?

Quote:
In the case of Michigan hiring Beilein and Rodriguez away from WVU, there was never any permission requested or granted.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 04-01-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #255
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I meant Memphis...and it was a joke in the "day late, dollar short" category.

I got the joke. I'm a Chiefs fan who enjoys Bronco pain in any form. Just was clarifying that the AD wasn't the one that mentioned that Memphis showed up late to the party.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-01-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:42 AM   #256
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

To be fair, unlike the NFL, there are no restrictions on coach movement, and no requirement to request permission. This is done merely as a courtesy, and these days a joke of one at that, being done after the deal has been reached.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #257
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Are you hitting the Moonshine again?

You need to give up the comedy routine and get back to your full-time job as the president of the Jaime Dixon fan club.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:51 AM   #258
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
You need to give up the comedy routine and get back to your full-time job as the president of the Jaime Dixon fan club.

Tyus Edney looked great in a Villanova uniform.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:52 AM   #259
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

That would take time away from my Bring Back Walt Harris campaign!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:52 AM   #260
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
To be fair, unlike the NFL, there are no restrictions on coach movement, and no requirement to request permission. This is done merely as a courtesy, and these days a joke of one at that, being done after the deal has been reached.

Yeah... My point was just that even that courtesy is rarely practiced anymore. Nowadays, these deals are largely completed behind the scenes before there is commitment.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:53 AM   #261
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
That would take time away from my Bring Back Walt Harris campaign!

Don't give up!

It almost worked this year!
Old 04-01-2009, 09:38 AM   #262
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
lol buzz williams

Yes. As a UNO fan, the idea that someone would want Buzz Williams more than Tim Floyd...

I'd best stop there.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #263
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I mentioned this on the Memphis board. There is no doubt he would coach with a chip on his shoulder. He knows the game, can recruit well, and would keep the program going.

The hot rumor right now is Bruce Pearl.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #264
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Yeah, the way this thing reads is that UK asked for permission to talk to Calipari on Monday, but that they had already been talking all weekend.

I would imagine they put fillers out to a handful coaches around the new year or so.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #265
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
I mentioned this on the Memphis board. There is no doubt he would coach with a chip on his shoulder. He knows the game, can recruit well, and would keep the program going.

Why would Bruce Pearl go to Memphis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #266
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Mike DeCourcey discussed the almost impossible task that the next Memphis head coach faces........

SportingNews.com - Your expert source for NCAA Basketball stats, scores, standings, and blogs from NCAA Basketball columnists
Old 04-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #267
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post

I think the Memphis fans greatly overestimate what their program is at this moment. Calipari needed a good stepping stone after the NBA mess and found it in what was a good Conference USA at the time. It was lightning in a bottle for that program. It's now a coaching position in a weak conference with no competition whatsoever. If Memphis moved to a better conference, they would do well. Right now, they're stuck.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #268
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post

Who knows? Maybe he does not want to be at a football school. He also would get a pretty fat contract. Memphis boosters don't want the train to derail. They offered Cal $7 mil a year and rumored to be willing to spend just as much to get the right coach.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #269
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Who knows? Maybe he does not want to be at a football school. He also would get a pretty fat contract. Memphis boosters don't want the train to derail. They offered Cal $7 mil a year and rumored to be willing to spend just as much to get the right coach.

That's fine if they want to roll out the money truck to get a coach, but you better get someone better than Bruce Pearl if you're going to pay one of the highest coaching salaries in the nation. I can only think of 3-5 head coaches that would warrant that kind of salary. I'm also sure that none of them are interested in the Memphis job.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #270
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
That's fine if they want to roll out the money truck to get a coach, but you better get someone better than Bruce Pearl if you're going to pay one of the highest coaching salaries in the nation. I can only think of 3-5 head coaches that would warrant that kind of salary. I'm also sure that none of them are interested in the Memphis job.

DISCLAIMER: I'm a Vols fan.

But I'm pretty much with Mizzou here. *IF* they rolled out $7mil for Pearl, yeah, I can see him making the jump. I can't see them doing that for Pearl.

What has Pearl proven? He did great with UW-Milwaukee in one tourney.

Ok, good.

He did well with UT that had a stud guard for a few years that he inherited.

Ok, good.

He can be "competitive" in the SEC with his own players.

Alrighty then.

Don't get me wrong. I like Pearl. But he's done nothing imo to show he deserves $7mil.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 04-01-2009, 10:54 AM   #271
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

If he took the job I'd say his odds of getting out of Knoxville alive would be slightly more than 50-50.

But the real reason I doubt that rumor has much behind it is that Memphis is operates under the auspices of the Tenn. Board of Regents (and presumably the legislature for funding) and I don't see them taking the loss of a coach within the system well at all. Painting that sort of bullseye on the university forehead during a time of budget cuts would be downright insane. And anybody that thinks that wouldn't lead to them losing funding on the education side doesn't know how the state feels about UT-Knoxville.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #272
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm SOOOOO happy for Mike Anderson and Missouri.. excellent news!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #273
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I just heard that the Arizona AD has decided on a coach and a presser will be made tomorrow. The coach in question has agreed to head up Arizona and they are finalizing the terms of the contract. The person who told me this said he's 90% sure it's not Pitino and his money is on Few or Caple. He said that Livengood (Arizona's AD) has only allowed a few staffers to know the name and none of them are talking. We should know in the next 24 hours.

I still think Few or Caple is a longshoot, but who knows. That certainly would be better than the Randy Bennett, Mark Fox, Buzz Williams craziness I was hearing yesterday on some blogs.

Last edited by Arles : 04-01-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #274
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I just heard that the Arizona AD has decided on a coach and a presser will be made tomorrow. The coach in question has agreed to head up Arizona and they are finalizing the terms of the contract. The person who told me this said he's 90% sure it's not Pitino and his money is on Few or Caple. He said that Livengood (Arizona's AD) has only allowed a few staffers to know the name and none of them are talking. We should know in the next 24 hours.

I still think Few or Caple is a longshoot, but who knows. That certainly would be better than the Randy Bennett, Mark Fox, Buzz Williams craziness I was hearing yesterday on some blogs.

If its this quick, it has to be Few, no? The top tier of their wish list has long been reported to have only that one name on it.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #275
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Big 12 rumor mill is buzzing that it is Capel to Arizona, and much like Evans at Memphis, after the official announcement is made Blake Griffin will announce he's declaring for the draft.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:06 PM   #276
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The Big 12 rumor mill is buzzing that it is Capel to Arizona

At which point the UGA list probably turns into one that includes Lon Kreuger (which might actually get even the lukewarm UGA fan base to storm the AD's office looking for somebody's head), Tim Floyd, Ed DeChellis, Scott Drew, Oliver Purnell (why on earth would he leave Clemson for this job?), Sean Miller of Xavier, Brad Stevens of Butler and Brian Gregory of Dayton. I guess Gillespie and Pennell might both be considered at some point too.

I thought this little comment in the AJC beat writer's blog was kind of odd thought, after talking about names they're considering he says Some they aren’t: Miami’s Frank Haith and FSU’s Leonard Hamilton.

Have those guys recently said something about not leaving their respective schools or something? I hadn't heard either name even whispered in connection to the Georgia job until they were singled out in the column as people not being considered and it kind of struck me odd.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-01-2009 at 04:08 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #277
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
At which point the UGA list probably turns into one that includes Lon Kreuger (which might actually get even the lukewarm UGA fan base to storm the AD's office looking for somebody's head), Tim Floyd, Ed DeChellis, Scott Drew, Oliver Purnell (why on earth would he leave Clemson for this job?), Sean Miller of Xavier, Brad Stevens of Butler and Brian Gregory of Dayton. I guess Gillespie and Pennell might both be considered at some point too.

I thought this little comment in the AJC beat writer's blog was kind of odd thought, after talking about names they're considering he says Some they aren’t: Miami’s Frank Haith and FSU’s Leonard Hamilton.

Have those guys recently said something about not leaving their respective schools or something? I hadn't heard either name even whispered in connection to the Georgia job until they were singled out in the column as people not being considered and it kind of struck me odd.

At this point, why don't they just hire Bob Knight? If I recall correctly, he was reported to have said he would be interested if contacted. Let him coach the team for 3-4 years and, most likely, the program is in a better position to hire someone long-term then.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #278
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
At this point, why don't they just hire Bob Knight?

I think my across-the-street neighbor (univ. pres. Adams) would have himself boiled in oil before that happened. And make no mistake, he's running the show on the hiring, the AD is (and was hired to be) his lap dog.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:08 PM   #279
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Now, the hot name for Arizona is Tim Floyd from USC. I'm not sure what's going on but this coach search is beginning to resemble the keystone cops. I'm thinking at this point it's going to be Floyd or Few, but who really knows. As an Arizona fan/alumn, Livengood (and the University) deserves the beating that Seth Davis, Katz, ESPN and other sources are giving right now. He's made this whole system a complete mess and there's a good chance Arizona basketball will be severely damaged if this hire doesn't come through well.

Last edited by Arles : 04-01-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:27 PM   #280
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Now, the hot name for Arizona is Tim Floyd from USC. I'm not sure what's going on but this coach search is beginning to resemble the keystone cops. I'm thinking at this point it's going to be Floyd or Few, but who really knows. As an Arizona fan/alumn, Livengood (and the University) deserves the beating that Seth Davis, Katz, ESPN and other sources are giving right now. He's made this whole system a complete mess and there's a good chance Arizona basketball will be severely damaged if this hire doesn't come through well.

I wonder if Floyd would leave USC for Arizona. I know Arizona's past history is better, but he has steadily improved USC's recruiting and performance and LA isn't a bad place to live when you have the money for it.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #281
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Sounds like it's going to be Floyd and he may be bringing two McDonalds All Americans with him. All in all, not a bad hire - especially with the crazy Kruger, Buzz Williams, Mark Fox, Randy Bennett rumors that were really scaring me.

Floyd can recruit and has been a pretty strong coach on the court as well. It's not Pitino, but he seems like the best of who's available.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:14 PM   #282
miami_fan
Coordinator

Seems like a good plan. See who has a top recruiting class, fire your coach, hire the coach with the top recruiting class, get all those players to transfer/sign to come with the new coach.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:20 PM   #283
Arles
Grey Dog Software

To be fair, Arizona announced they were looking for a coach back in October and lost recruits over it. This isn't like Kentucky basically raping Memphis the second the season ended.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #284
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Seems like a good plan. See who has a top recruiting class, fire your coach, hire the coach with the top recruiting class, get all those players to transfer/sign to come with the new coach.

Sounds good to me.

Rivals currently ranks Georgia Tech as #5, so USC certainly has my blessing to take the whole class as long as they take Paul Hewitt with them.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #285
Arles
Grey Dog Software

One more point, one of the recruits who would come with Floyd (Solomon Hill) actually committed to Arizona in the fall, backed out when Lute retired and then committed to USC. Kind of a weird situation if he ends up coming back to Arizona.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #286
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
To be fair, Arizona announced they were looking for a coach back in October and lost recruits over it. This isn't like Kentucky basically raping Memphis the second the season ended.

I am not saying that Arizona is wrong at all. It is just an observation really. Oh yeah and how much of a joke the system in general is.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #287
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Can't argue with you there. Each job is basically a stepping stone for the elite programs (Kentucky, UCLA, UNC) and everyone else is just a rung on a big ladder leading to them.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #288
Swaggs
Coordinator

I would imagine that, if any of USC's recruits had signed LOIs, they would not release them, but only with the provision that they do not sign with another Pac 10 school. That could get interesting.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #289
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Word on the USC message board is that Floyd to Arizona is a done deal. Arizona just offered more money than USC was willing to match. Very disappointing unless they go after a big name who can coach.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:56 PM   #290
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Sounds official:

Report: USC coach Tim Floyd to Arizona - ESPN

According to rivals.com, 3 of USC's 5 recruits have not signed a Letter of Intent:

USC Commit List for 2009

That means that Hill, Sidney and Evan Smith could follow Floyd to Arizona.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:34 AM   #291
MrBug708
Head Coach

Arizona is going to giftwrap Jaime Dixon to USC
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:40 AM   #292
Arles
Grey Dog Software

As an Arizona fan, I will gladly take Floyd at Arizona and Dixon at USC over Kruger/Fox/Bennett at Arizona and Floyd at USC.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:44 AM   #293
MrBug708
Head Coach

I dont think Arizona can afford to take a solid coach over someone with some unknown. I'm not on the Capel bandwagon like you against Arles, but Floyd is one step ahead of sanctions

Last edited by MrBug708 : 04-02-2009 at 12:44 AM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:56 AM   #294
bhlloy
Coordinator

You are welcome to Sidney. We already dodged one time bomb with Mayo, I don't want another one ticking with Renardo on campus, no matter how good he is. Evan Smith is nothing, I don't think Arizona would even really want him. I don't think SC were going to offer him a scholarship, he'd be more of a walkon if Scout is to be believed. I will be sad to see Hill go who should be a really good player. I wonder if Dwayne Polee Jr. is now going to Arizona in 2023 or whenever he is old enough

If it is a trade Dixon for Floyd, I'll take it in a heartbeat. I really rate Dixon, although I don't know why you would leave Pitt right now.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:01 AM   #295
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Arizona is going to giftwrap Jaime Dixon to USC

I'm slightly worried as a Pitt student, but if he didn't take the Zona job (they had to of at least checked with him first before going to Floyd) then I don't think he'd take the USC job. Maybe if they really load up on the $$ he'll jump but I think/hope he stays. Sean Miller wouldn't be a bad replacement at Pitt, but you don't want the winningest coach through their first 6 seasons to leave. Ever.
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:13 AM   #296
bhlloy
Coordinator

Well, Dixon wants to be in LA because of his father. I still don't think he's going anywhere, but the Arizona job didn't have that going for it. And SC won't load up on the $$ for basketball, at least not to the level that Pitt will be willing to.

Last edited by bhlloy : 04-02-2009 at 01:13 AM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:39 AM   #297
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I will be stunned if Sidney plays one minute of college.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:11 AM   #298
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Why do you insist on downplaying the success of other programs. Yesterday it was Texas and before that it was Memphis. Now you're back harping on Memphis. I would think you'd have a bit more respect for Conference USA given that your current head coach learned his trade there. I'm not going to suggest Conference USA is a power conference, but they have had some pretty good teams in recent years. Memphis did dominate Conference USA, but they've also beaten a number of BCS conference schools in their non-conference schedule. Give credit to Memphis for making a great hire in Calipari and giving him the facilities he needed to succeed. The Tigers were just as competitive as any top flight BCS conference program in recent years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I think the Memphis fans greatly overestimate what their program is at this moment. Calipari needed a good stepping stone after the NBA mess and found it in what was a good Conference USA at the time. It was lightning in a bottle for that program. It's now a coaching position in a weak conference with no competition whatsoever. If Memphis moved to a better conference, they would do well. Right now, they're stuck.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:14 AM   #299
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

A great hire by Arizona. I actually like the Floyd hire better than the rumored hiring of Capel. Floyd is a proven coach who has had success at every stop in college. Capel is a good up and coming coach, but Floyd is a proven commodity...something the Wildcats sorely needed to get back into the Pac 10 race immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Word on the USC message board is that Floyd to Arizona is a done deal. Arizona just offered more money than USC was willing to match. Very disappointing unless they go after a big name who can coach.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:47 AM   #300
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

As far as the initial comment, "stealing" recruits, how is AZ any different than UK? They're not.

Quote: