Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-18-2009, 07:12 PM   #251
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Micheal Ruffin is still in the league?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #252
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

As a benchwarmer/injured list player with an expiring contract.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:20 PM   #253
rjolley
College Starter

Ruffin was then shipped off to Portland for Ike Diogu and cash.
rjolley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:30 PM   #254
Anthony
Banned

i just want the Knicks to ship Lee and Robinson off the team just so they can package Eddy Curry and Jared Jeffries along with them and basically start the clock for the 2010 bonanza.

Last edited by Anthony : 02-18-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:19 PM   #255
sooner333
College Starter

Well, nevermind. The Thunder didn't clear Chandler medically.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:29 PM   #256
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Warriors up one on the Lakeshow in the 2nd quarter. The Warriors season is pretty much over already, but I really want this win.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:52 PM   #257
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Danny ferry needs to make me proud tomorrow. I hope for Camby and dream of Amare. I sure hope he keeps JJ and Andy unless its for Amare. JJ is gonna be a stud in 2 years.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:57 PM   #258
Groundhog
Coordinator

Well, I'd take Amare if we kept one of Andy or JJ (pref. JJ of course, but Phoenix aren't going to give Amare away, either).
Old 02-18-2009, 11:09 PM   #259
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There must be Something seriously wrong with Chandler cause that was a good trade for the Sonics
Old 02-18-2009, 11:11 PM   #260
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
There must be Something seriously wrong with Chandler cause that was a good trade for the Sonics

Yeah, it looks like the Thunder's doctors found some kind of turf toe condition that couldn't be operated on but could effect him essentially for the entire length of the contract. I guess it's not worth it to take on the salary for a couple of possible worthless years. Especially when they can try and use it in the offseason and with the young nucleus of talent, it might be easier to convince a free agent that winning is closer than you might have thought.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:42 PM   #261
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Well, I'd take Amare if we kept one of Andy or JJ (pref. JJ of course, but Phoenix aren't going to give Amare away, either).

I don't have the contracts in front of me but if we could send out enough to take back JRich and Amare and crap and get them under the lux tax I'd basically do any combo of picks and players not named LeBron.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:53 PM   #262
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i think with phoenix back to the running game they're even less likely to deal amare
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:02 AM   #263
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

..and the Warriors are about to lose. Just not enough....hopefully they luck out in the lottery this offseason.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:54 AM   #264
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
Yeah, it looks like the Thunder's doctors found some kind of turf toe condition that couldn't be operated on but could effect him essentially for the entire length of the contract. I guess it's not worth it to take on the salary for a couple of possible worthless years.

I've been saying all year that Chandler had to be playing with a chronic injury. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out for anyone who's watched the Hornets closely this year. At age 26, his performance mysteriously cratered. It was very likely something was wrong. The Hornets were trying to sneak him and his $12 mil out the door before he became untradeable. Didn't happen -- OKC figured it out. This is why y'all got him so cheap.

But not before a solid 24-hour national media cycle of "OMG OMG the Hornets are broke, New Orleans can't support two franchises, OMG OMG Seattle OMG they traded Chandler for nothing RELOCATION OMG KANSAS CITY OMG!!!"

I want to pull my hair out sometimes over this stuff. I truly hate the media.

Of course, NOW we're in trouble, with now four untradeable big contracts and no apparent way out of luxury tax hell.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:13 AM   #265
RainMaker
General Manager

My Bulls trading Gooden, Simmons, Nocioni, and Ruffin for Salmons and Miller is a little odd. None of the guys in the deal really hurt them in the 2010 class and it seems like a deal to not be pressured into overpaying for someone at the end of this season. Nocioni has been one of my favorite players over the past few seasons, will miss watching him play.

The rumors of getting Bosh had me real excited. Figure Rose and him could make a poor man's Parker and Duncan in the East. But I'm guessing it's probably smart for them to wait till 2010 and have a shot at some of the big names coming out. Really glad they didn't get suckered into an Amare deal.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:09 AM   #266
MikeVic
Head Coach

Suns appear to have scored 140+ in back-to-back games since getting rid of Porter? I know the opponents weren't great, but that's still fun to see.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #267
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
My Bulls trading Gooden, Simmons, Nocioni, and Ruffin for Salmons and Miller is a little odd. None of the guys in the deal really hurt them in the 2010 class and it seems like a deal to not be pressured into overpaying for someone at the end of this season. Nocioni has been one of my favorite players over the past few seasons, will miss watching him play.

I always dug Nocioni, but he hasn't been the same this year. Whether that's our Please Dear God Fire Him coach or just the team chemistry, dunno.

BUT, on salary sides, Miller's contract expires for the 2010 class, and Fishboy could be a great longer-term pickup. So it's does position them for the big crop. I'm betting another trade is in order before the dealine as well (though I'm gonna be pissed if they dump Hinrich.)
Old 02-19-2009, 11:50 AM   #268
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Does Shaq and JRich for Pavs, Big Ben, and Wally work on the trade Machine? That puts us over the top IMO and its realistic given the Suns financial concerns.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #269
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Yes, it works, though I would be surprised in Phoenix was willing to go that far.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:02 PM   #270
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Reports are Bulls trade Larry Hughes to the Knicks for Tim Thomas and Jerome James
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #271
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Yes, it works, though I would be surprised in Phoenix was willing to go that far.

I think it puts them under the lux tax the next two years. I'd even throw in the Cavs first this year cause it makes us a ton better.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #272
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Yeah, but they get their relief without trading Richardson. Seems like a lot for them to give up, and your first is not worth all that much anyway.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #273
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Reports are Bulls trade Larry Hughes to the Knicks for Tim Thomas and Jerome James

So they're trading one player they threw on the inactive list and ignored for a player they threw on the inactive list and ignored a couple seasons ago?
Old 02-19-2009, 12:55 PM   #274
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Does Shaq and JRich for Pavs, Big Ben, and Wally work on the trade Machine? That puts us over the top IMO and its realistic given the Suns financial concerns.
Suns won't be making any moves until the offseason. The 35 cents for the dollar deals will be just as available then

Although, if the Suns could move Shaq for Wally's expiring and Pavlovic, I'd consider it.

Last edited by Arles : 02-19-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:01 PM   #275
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Tim Thomas back to the Bulls in big deal:
Quote:
The Chicago Bulls made their second big trade in two days on Thursday, agreeing to send Larry Hughes to the Knicks for Jerome James, Tim Thomas and Anthony Roberson, two league sources told ESPN.com.

Sources: New York Knicks acquire Larry Hughes, send 3 to Chicago Bulls - ESPN
Old 02-19-2009, 01:10 PM   #276
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I still can't imagine Thomas having any interest in playing in Chicago.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #277
rjolley
College Starter

What are the contracts of the players the Bulls have acquired over the past 24 hours?
rjolley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #278
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Suns won't be making any moves until the offseason. The 35 cents for the dollar deals will be just as available then

Although, if the Suns could move Shaq for Wally's expiring and Pavlovic, I'd consider it.

That's unrealistic cause we would be paying close to 40 million to have shaq next year. At least including Big Ben makes it more like 26 after lux tax
Old 02-19-2009, 02:13 PM   #279
JeeberD
General Manager

Marc Stein: Looks like we have a fairly significant three-way deal that has been submitted to the league just before the trade deadline.

NBA front-office sources tell ESPN.com that Orlando is acquiring Rafer Alston from Houston to fill the void created at point guard by Jameer Nelson's shoulder injury.

The Rockets will receive Memphis guard Kyle Lowry, Orlando forward Brian Cook and perhaps two other minimum-salaried players to make the finances work.

The Grizzlies will receive a first-round pick from Orlando.

-----------

As much as I dislike Rafer...meh.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #280
JeeberD
General Manager

Dola-

Though supposedly there is a second Rockets trade needing approval.

*crosses fingers*

Old 02-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #281
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Dola-

Though supposedly there is a second Rockets trade needing approval.

*crosses fingers*

Yeah, that original trade is a whole lot of "eh". As soon as T-Mac was out for the season, we're first round and done again.

Any word on the other deal?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:37 PM   #282
JeeberD
General Manager

Nothing firm yet, though there's lots of speculation that it may be Landry on the way out since we picked up Cook.

Though I don't necessarily agree with the "As soon as T-Mac was out for the season, we're first round and done again" line. We've played much better without him this season...

Old 02-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #283
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Though I don't necessarily agree with the "As soon as T-Mac was out for the season, we're first round and done again" line. We've played much better without him this season...

That's one of those random comments that triggers my curiosity, so off I go to look it up.

Rockets record without McGrady this year: 13-6
Rockets record with McGrady this year: 20-15

I'm sure opponents & situations probably play a role in that but your observation appears closer to the mark than I would have guessed for sure.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #284
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

You know, every year there is this big build up to the NBA trade deadline. It's all over the internet and sports shows. ESPN has that trade analyzer thing for months. It always seems, however, like no big deals are ever made and every deadline is "anticlimactic."

Is that really the case? Has there been traditionally a lot of movement at the deadline? Big deals? Or a large number of smaller deals?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #285
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I'm still trying to figure out how T-Mac's playoff history makes you think that having him on the roster ensures a second round playoff appearance, given that he's NEVER advanced that far in his entire career.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #286
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how T-Mac's playoff history makes you think that having him on the roster ensures a second round playoff appearance, given that he's NEVER advanced that far in his entire career.

I don't necessarily think it's "TMac = better playoff team". It's that with TMac we have a better team than without him, I think, and I think we had a good enough team to make it to the second round this year whereas we haven't in the past

SI

Old 02-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #287
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
You know, every year there is this big build up to the NBA trade deadline. It's all over the internet and sports shows. ESPN has that trade analyzer thing for months. It always seems, however, like no big deals are ever made and every deadline is "anticlimactic."

Is that really the case? Has there been traditionally a lot of movement at the deadline? Big deals? Or a large number of smaller deals?

Isn't that pretty much true of the trade deadline in baseball and hockey, too (football's cap making big trades unlikely and at the deadline, moreso)?

SI

Old 02-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #288
Logan
Head Coach

From Hollinger's column grading the trades, I laughed at the analysis of the Knicks picking up Hughes:

"The good news is that the trade gives them a true 2-guard for the first time since they traded Jamal Crawford, so that will help balance out the roster. The bad news is that it's Larry Hughes."

In case anyone would like to read the full thing:
John Hollinger: Trade grades - ESPN
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:17 PM   #289
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

More reports saying Bulls trade Thabo Sefolosha to the Thunder for a 1st round pick. (They have 3 in the upcoming draft, the Bulls will receive the worst one.)

Solid trade for the Bulls I think, I was a big fan of Thabo but he just is not panning out. We should pick somewhere in the 15-20 range, which is where we drafted him at.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 02-19-2009, 03:58 PM   #290
hoopsguy
General Manager

OK, so from what I'm hearing the Bulls are left with the following:

Guards: Rose, Hinrich, Salmons, Gordon (gone after year?)
Forwards: Deng, Ty. Thomas, Ti. Thomas, Noah
Centers: Miller, James, Gray
Picks: 1st from OKC (non-lottery in bad draft)

I do not know the contract stuff on Tim Thomas and James, but this is a pretty ugly roster. I guess it is not exactly a murderers row of teams competing for the 8th spot in the East, but that roster does not feel remotely close.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #291
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Thomas and James both expire in 2010. As does Miller, and Salmons has an option.

So, if I'm right, 2010 for the Bulls...

G: Rose, Hinrich, Gordon if he resigns, Salmons if he resigns.
F: Deng, Tyrus
C: Noah, Gray

They should be primed for the FA crop, though it's gonna be ugly in the meantime.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 02-19-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:04 PM   #292
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I think we're pretty much joining the 2010 FA bonanza and hoping the lure of playing in Chicago with a developed Derrick Rose will entice Stoudemire or Bosh to sign here.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:07 PM   #293
Groundhog
Coordinator

HOLY SHIT JEROME JAMES GOT MOVED. BIGGEST TRADE DEADLINE MOVE EVER/
Old 02-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #294
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Isn't that pretty much true of the trade deadline in baseball and hockey, too (football's cap making big trades unlikely and at the deadline, moreso)?

SI

That's not true at all with the NHL. There tends to be a LOT of movement on the NHL deadline day. Sure, not everyone who is rumored to be traded actually ends up getting traded and the cap limits potential deals, but even over the last few "cap era" deadline days a lot of trades are made and a lot of players are moved.

Here's a link that provides the number of trades and players moved on the deadline day since 1980:

http://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre/feature/?id=10407

Here are the numbers for the last 10 years:

1997-98March 24, 19981938
1998-99March 23, 19992130
1999-00March 14, 20001223
2000-01March 13, 20011731
2001-02March 19, 20021735
2002-03March 11, 20032446
2003-04March 9, 20042032
2005-06March 9, 20062540
2006-07February 27, 20072544
2007-08February 26, 20082545

The first number is the number of trades, the second number is the number of players moved. 25 trades and 45 players moved in one day is pretty significant.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #295
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

Along the same lines, I was trying to figure out the last team that won a title with a key max salary FA as their centerpiece. Other than Shaq.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:45 PM   #296
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm dissapointed that the Cavs weren't able to get something done, especially since they apparently didn't mind at all bringing on excess salaries. I'm not surprised though. I think the Suns were our best shot, both Shaq and Amar'e (what's with that ' anyway), but I think they'd likely just be happy to see how they go for the rest of the year with a new coach given their performance of late.

I actually think Larry Hughes, if healthy (a massive if), could fit in well in New York. They play a far similar style of ball to the one that Hughes flourished in at Washington.

Don't quite get the Hou-Griz-Orlando trade. I guess Lowry's contract expires before Alston? I actually don't mind Lowry, and I think he'll be an OK performer on a better team than the Grizz. I'm assuming Brooks is the starter in Houston now, and I'll be interested to see how he does in that role.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:17 PM   #297
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bulls fans have to be excited to see gooden and Hughes out the door.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #298
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yup. Gooden proved to a whole new crowd that stats don't come close to telling the whole story.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #299
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

I'm guessing the Celts court Mikki Moore hard! Joe Smith could still be released, but I think it would be risky for DA to wait on Joe, when there's a viable backup Center out there. I like Joe a little more, but I remember Moore terrorizing the C's when he was playing for the Nets, and he'd be better than the lifeless ex-C Patrick O'Bryant.

Then it's all about waiting for Marbury to get bought out and join the Celts. I've never been a huge fan of Marbury, but he'd unquestionably provide a ball handling and scoring backup pg that the second unit desperately needs. I fully consider Eddie a 2 at this point, and in no way a good fit for pg.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:52 PM   #300
RainMaker
General Manager

I still don't get why Cleveland is not going all out considering Lebron is as good as gone in 2 years.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote