Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-06-2008, 11:05 AM   #251
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Mizzou, I understood what both you and Shorty said. Pretty much said the opposite of eachother, so i'll try it both ways and see which I have more success with.

This might be surprising, but I think I'm right.

(Yes, folks. Self-deprecating humor is part of my diverse repertoire.)
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:06 AM   #252
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Mizzou, I understood what both you and Shorty said. Pretty much said the opposite of eachother, so i'll try it both ways and see which I have more success with.

Mizzou is correct. It's where the ball is going, not opposite from it. I'm not sure how your friend ever gets a hit if he's on all star or above.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #253
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Mizzou is correct. It's where the ball is going, not opposite from it. I'm not sure how your friend ever gets a hit if he's on all star or above.

That's what I was thinking. Hitting is tough enough when you're doing it correctly.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #254
korme
Go Reds

Hey, I never said that you should aim in the opposite direction. I glossed over that point, read my 2nd post!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:30 AM   #255
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Hey, I never said that you should aim in the opposite direction. I glossed over that point, read my 2nd post!

I caught it. I remember when my buddy told me about the opposite thing the very next game I finally hit my first 2 HR's, so naturally I thought he was right. The next few games I was able to get hits but not much power so I just figured it was a timing thing, but like you guys said, not sure how I was able if I was doing it the wrong way. My guess is bc it's on veteran.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:32 AM   #256
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I caught it. I remember when my buddy told me about the opposite thing the very next game I finally hit my first 2 HR's, so naturally I thought he was right. The next few games I was able to get hits but not much power so I just figured it was a timing thing, but like you guys said, not sure how I was able if I was doing it the wrong way. My guess is bc it's on veteran.

Yeah, I play on All-Star (one above Veteran) and it provides a very good challenge. My guess is that your friend wouldn't be able to hit very well at all if he bumped up the difficulty level. All-Star is much less forgiving than Veteran.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-06-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:05 PM   #257
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Wow. Sounds like you're having some problems adjusting to the hitting. I played 7 more games last night. Hit two homeruns in consecutive games when I guessed right on high fastballs. The great part about my young player is that he has to pull the ball to get it over the wall. Both of my homers only went about 10 feet over the fence down the foul line. There's almost no way he could put one out in center field unless the stars lined up just right. It's awful rewarding when that occurs.

I'm wondering if my problem might be related to what you guys have been saying in the last dozen posts or so.

What I tend to do is guess pitch and/or location, and then just hit the x button to swing. Sounds like maybe when I guess something right, I need to be using that left stick to tell my player "Okay, great, you've guessed it, now DO something with it," huh? Or would it be the right stick?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:21 PM   #258
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I'm wondering if my problem might be related to what you guys have been saying in the last dozen posts or so.

What I tend to do is guess pitch and/or location, and then just hit the x button to swing. Sounds like maybe when I guess something right, I need to be using that left stick to tell my player "Okay, great, you've guessed it, now DO something with it," huh? Or would it be the right stick?

Yeah, that would make a HUGE difference. You have to move your left stick towards the spot in the zone where the ball ends up. If you don't do that, you'll only have success hitting balls that are straight down the middle. Anything high in the zone you'll pop up. Anything low will be a weak grounder. Left and right will result in you hitting it off the handle or the end of the bat. I can definitely see why you're frustrated now.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #259
SackAttack
Head Coach

I've got the whole day off from work today, so I'll definitely give that a try. I'm getting better at recognizing what the pitch is going to be, so this might be the boost over the hump that I need to start actually hitting the ball.

Also, I'm enjoying the battles with the CPU with foul balls - MLB 08 seems to be the first game that really gets that part of the batter-pitcher duel right - but you have no idea how much it adds to the frustration to be struggling like I have to hit the ball and then see the CPU just foul off pitch after pitch before finally whacking a double.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #260
TroyF
Coordinator

Yeah, sack, you need to push the left stick toward your guessed location. That will help a lot.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #261
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I've got the whole day off from work today, so I'll definitely give that a try. I'm getting better at recognizing what the pitch is going to be, so this might be the boost over the hump that I need to start actually hitting the ball.

I generally sit on the fastball hoping to hammer one and adjust to the other pitches to stay alive. For me, that's worked the best.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:54 PM   #262
SackAttack
Head Coach

That won't work against Barry Zito. I hate his curveball.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:01 PM   #263
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Loot Ninja review. Pretty similar to other reviews............

http://loot-ninja.com/2008/03/06/rev...-the-show-ps3/

Quote:
Review: MLB 08 The Show (PS3)

Baseball season is upon us, and the games are here. Sony’s foray into the sport was widely accepted in 2007 as the best of the genre. In 2008, they’ve improved further on the graphics and gameplay to truly immerse you in the game. Here is a breakdown of some of the facets of MLB 08 The Show for the PS3:

Presentation and Graphics: MLB 08 The Show is beautiful. From the players to the stadiums to the fans, everything is meticulously detailed. Almost every player in the game looks stunningly like it’s real life counterpart. With over three hundred swing types, you’ll be sure to see your favorite player’s batting stance, practice swings, and follow through all look as it should. Each player now also throws the ball more like they would in real life, especially with pitching. Hand motions for eighteen pitch types are in the game, so you’ll see arm motions more realistic than ever before. Animations look very fluid, especially transitioning from one animation to another. With stadiums, the development team researched intricacies such as where “K” signs are placed for strikeouts and mimicked that in the game. It’s these little details that immerse you in the real baseball experience. 9 of 10

Sound and Music: There’s a lot to say about sound in a baseball game. From the pop of the mitt to the crack of the bat, there’s a lot that goes into a seemingly simple game. Sony hit the nail on the head this year again with sound effects in the game. Some of the most realistic sounds I’ve heard in a game for the crack of the bat and popping the catcher’s mitt. Hearing a foul ball bounce off the backstop in surround sound will make you smile. The announcing in the game is done fairly well, although you’ll hear a decent amount of repeated calls. Thankfully, they get the calls right almost all the time. With the addition of custom soundtracks, you can take total control of the music in the game, which is already pretty good. 8.5 of 10

Gameplay: Gameplay is always the most important factor, and MLB 08 The Show definitely shines in this respect. Controls remain largely unchanging from last year, especially in respect to pitching, batting, and throwing in the field. This is not a bad thing, and it all works very well. I would have liked to see batting controls with the right analog stick. Baserunning controls have been tweaked to make it easier to control individual players on the base paths.

Standard gameplay modes are available such as exhibition, franchise, season, etc. The critically acclaimed Road To The Show mode makes a return with some nice upgrades. In this mode, you create your own player and take him through the ranks of the minor leagues to make it to the Show. New this year is a Goal Result System that provides rewards and penalties based on your performance. To go along with this, an Advancement system has been added to track your progress from draft class hero to the Hall of Fame. These new additions provide even more depth to the already amazing gameplay mode, which will end up taking a good portion of your time. It’s just that addictive.

Realism is the holy grail of all sports games, and MLB 08 The Show provides the most realistic baseball experience you’ve ever seen. Sony really put in the polish with the 08 version of the game to make the game feel like you’re really playing a baseball game. You might throw a 10 pitch at bat to Jose Reyes and see 6 different foul balls and animations. 9.5 of 10

Multiplayer: Not much has changed online since the 2007 iteration of the game. The one addition, however, is a big one. Scout is the new online matchmaking tool to allow you to find players using the exact same settings and gameplay sliders as you. Just make your settings and let Scout do the work. This makes it a lot easier to find someone who wants to play the same way you do. Otherwise, standard single games and 30-team leagues make their return from last year. 8.5 of 10

Lasting Appeal: With a deep franchise mode, Road To The Show 2.0, and the online Scout feature, there’s plenty here to keep your baseball needs satisfied all season long. The only downside, as with all baseball games, is getting bored before your 162 game season ends. But the realism in MLB 08 will keep you coming back for more. 8 of 10

Final Word: If you’re looking for this year’s best baseball title, look no further. MLB 08 The Show is not only this years best, but the best baseball game I’ve ever played. And as a semi-pro pitcher for 5 years, that’s saying a lot. If you own a PS3 and like baseball, run out and get this game.

Overall: 8.75 of 10
Old 03-06-2008, 02:01 PM   #264
Travis
Pro Rookie

Maybe a stupid question but I don't have the game in front of me right now. Is it only on veteran that you get the "cursor" showing you where your sweet spot is or is that an option you can use at any level but have to turn on? I recall going through the options before playing a game and changing a few of the defaults for that sort of thing, but can't remember which one's offhand.

If it is how I'm thinking, would likely resolve any confusion on the matter (and if it goes away after veteran, well, I'll probably get my ass handed to me at that point).
Old 03-06-2008, 02:02 PM   #265
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Maybe a stupid question but I don't have the game in front of me right now. Is it only on veteran that you get the "cursor" showing you where your sweet spot is or is that an option you can use at any level but have to turn on? I recall going through the options before playing a game and changing a few of the defaults for that sort of thing, but can't remember which one's offhand.

If it is how I'm thinking, would likely resolve any confusion on the matter (and if it goes away after veteran, well, I'll probably get my ass handed to me at that point).

I've been playing on All-Star and it didn't have the cursor by default. You have to turn that on in the options if you want to see it.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #266
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
That won't work against Barry Zito. I hate his curveball.

Another guy this won't work against is Tim Wakefield. His ball flutters all over the place!

oh, and fwiw, I turn off guess pitch and I don't use the LS at all. I'm strictly a buttons guy and it works fine for me.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #267
hukarez
College Starter

Not much of a true gamebreaker for me, though I thought I'd see if anyone else has run into this same issue:

The back of the game dictates that the supported HD output of the game is: 720p, 1080i, 1080p.

However, it seems that regardless of my PS3 being hooked up via HDMI into my HD, the game runs at 720p. The manual mentioned something about 1080p as well, and I could've sworn one of the game loading screens mentioned something about the resolution.

I guess what I'm wondering is, how the heck do I get this game running beyond 720p??
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #268
hukarez
College Starter

Not much of a true gamebreaker for me, though I thought I'd see if anyone else has run into this same issue:

The back of the game dictates that the supported HD output of the game is: 720p, 1080i, 1080p.

However, it seems that regardless of my PS3 being hooked up via HDMI into my HD, the game runs at 720p. The manual mentioned something about 1080p as well, and I could've sworn one of the game loading screens mentioned something about the resolution.

I guess what I'm wondering is, how the heck do I get this game running beyond 720p??
tweet tweet twitter
Old 03-06-2008, 03:45 PM   #269
Travis
Pro Rookie

The game is optimized for 720p, I believe to get it running in 1080p you'd have to turn 720 off in your hdmi video setup (go into manual rather than automatic).
Old 03-06-2008, 03:55 PM   #270
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
The game is optimized for 720p, I believe to get it running in 1080p you'd have to turn 720 off in your hdmi video setup (go into manual rather than automatic).

Really now?? Huh! I would imagine it would select the highest setting allowable...

I'll have to give this a shot later tonight when I go home later tonight. I've always thought it would just automatically upscale/upsize to 1080p..
tweet tweet twitter
Old 03-06-2008, 04:13 PM   #271
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

My understanding is that has frequently been true of the PS3 in general, that 1080p sometimes gets ignored. Even if the game supports it and even if the output is set to use it, if the game has been optimized at a lower resolution, that's what it uses unless you disable that resolution first.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #272
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez View Post
Really now?? Huh! I would imagine it would select the highest setting allowable...

I'll have to give this a shot later tonight when I go home later tonight. I've always thought it would just automatically upscale/upsize to 1080p..

Certainly don't take it as gospel, but I think that's what's happening. I've only run into it on a couple games and in each case the game has 1080p listed, but also notes that it's optimized for 720p and defaults to that. Anything else I've run that allows 1080p has run at that level. I'm playing on a 37" screen so I don't usually bother changing the resolution as it doesn't make a huge difference on my setup and am entirely too lazy to change the settings back and forth
Old 03-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #273
SackAttack
Head Coach

Okay, so I tried a game using the left stick to aim my swings, and a few thoughts.

1) I'm still not getting any of those line drives to fall in front of the outfielders. I can guess a pitch, guess location, and use the bat aim, and while I'm getting solid contact, it's in the form of line drives either right at the outfielders, or liners that stay up long enough for them to chase the ball down. I still can't seem to hit anything that gets over the infield but gets down before getting to the outfielders.

2) The shortstop and second baseman don't seem to let much through. I'm hitting balls up the middle with success, but not so much in the holes. The second baseman and shortstop are getting to virtually everything I hit on the left and right sides, with the few hits I've gotten in those areas being either diving attempts that go off the glove, or balls they've gotten to but thrown away.

3) Despite that, I finally managed to put together a pair of one-run innings. Had a single down the line by Pierre, a bunt single by Seanez to move him over, a single up the middle from Loney. I wonder, though, if you heard my scream of frustration when I hit a long fly ball with Jones, and Pierre just stayed on third base. The AI didn't send him after the ball was caught, and I couldn't get him to run (I found out in the next inning that apparently R1 is retreat and L1 is advance). Kemp singled him home anyway.

Next inning, Kent hit a leadoff single, got sacrificed to second, took third on an infield single by my #7 hitter (that's when I first started to figure out about R1/L1. I hit R1 to tell him to advance, he turned around, I hit L1 and he went back to third on the throw to first). Martin hit a groundball deep into the hole at short, but Vizquel got to it (imagine my surprise). I hit R1, the runner started to retreat, so in a panic I hit L1 since Vizquel was trying to turn the double play, and Kent took off for home. Martin beat out the throw to first, and we end up winning 3-2 in a game in which Matt Cain set down the first 13 batters he faced.

Still having some issues, but that was a damned satisfying game all things considered.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #274
darkenigma510
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez View Post

You have to force your PS3 to show 1080p. You need to deselect 720p and 1080i under your Settings for the PS3
darkenigma510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #275
korme
Go Reds

Sack, sorry for laughing, but it is funny to me that this is now the third day that the game has been available and you've been playing and just now you learned how to 'send all' baserunners.

Incidentally, targeting single runners is easy, just use the left stick to point at wherever they are on base, then their target indicator will flash, and then you press the triangle button to send em to 2nd, Square for 3rd, etc.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:12 PM   #276
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Sack, sorry for laughing, but it is funny to me that this is now the third day that the game has been available and you've been playing and just now you learned how to 'send all' baserunners.

Incidentally, targeting single runners is easy, just use the left stick to point at wherever they are on base, then their target indicator will flash, and then you press the triangle button to send em to 2nd, Square for 3rd, etc.

I haven't been getting enough hits in the same inning to even WORRY about sending baserunners. It's been, like, one baserunner per inning, and as I mentioned, since I haven't been able to get balls to fall in front of or behind outfielders - just a bunch of line drives TO the outfielders - not a lot of opportunity to send anybody.

Also, I just got my copy yesterday.

For the love of God, though, can I PLEASE have a baseball game smart enough to say "Hey, the human is controlling the fielder. Probably shouldn't auto-switch from the shortstop to the third baseman while he's trying to run to a ball to his left, huh?"
Old 03-07-2008, 12:03 AM   #277
JS19
College Prospect

Anyone know what those arrow things are that show up when a batter comes up? For example, D. Wright comes up, it shows his name and stats for the day/season, and above his name there are arrows. In wrights case, they point left, but they are different for each batter. My assumption is that it has something to do with how well they are hitting at the time. When L. Castillo came up, who is 0 for his last 9, they were pointing down.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:06 AM   #278
SackAttack
Head Coach

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they are. Pointing down if they're struggling, up if they're hot, and sideways if they're on an even keel.

Just shut the Giants out 2-0. 10 K's, 5 hits allowed. Had to scrap for both runs, but Andre Ethier has been a beast for me so far, batting over .700 with 3 RBI's in the series.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:41 AM   #279
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Certainly don't take it as gospel, but I think that's what's happening. I've only run into it on a couple games and in each case the game has 1080p listed, but also notes that it's optimized for 720p and defaults to that. Anything else I've run that allows 1080p has run at that level. I'm playing on a 37" screen so I don't usually bother changing the resolution as it doesn't make a huge difference on my setup and am entirely too lazy to change the settings back and forth

Tried your advice, and it seems to have worked!

I had my HDMI settings set at "Automatic", so when I manually changed then, I disabled 720p and 1080i. I couldn't disable 480p for some reason (was grayed out), but when I started up the game, it displayed at 1080p which is nice.

I'm running on a 46" XBR2, and I guess the only real curious thing was that I had a black frame around the picture of the game... had to kind of max out the Horizontal Size and Vertical Size to get it to fill the whole screen, but it's working like a champ now!

Thanks very much for the pointer. Never really thought about it that much, and I figured the games would output to the highest resolution possible in Automatic settings... but I guess not. Kind of makes me wonder what other PS3 games I've got that could get bumped up to that resolution...

Well, save for the obvious 720p designation on most of the games I've got... hrm..
tweet tweet twitter
Old 03-07-2008, 12:58 AM   #280
SackAttack
Head Coach

huk, from snooping around while there are a number of 1080p capable games for PS3, it seems like most of them are upscaled 1080p, much like MLB 08.

Only a few actually run in 1080p natively at this point in time, evidently.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:18 AM   #281
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
huk, from snooping around while there are a number of 1080p capable games for PS3, it seems like most of them are upscaled 1080p, much like MLB 08.

Only a few actually run in 1080p natively at this point in time, evidently.

That's the way it is on both systems actually. Here's a thread in a developer forum that gives the native resolutions for a lot of games.................

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241
Old 03-07-2008, 08:24 AM   #282
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I picked this up last night and have had a great time with it so far. Batting is a little tough for me, but a few spring training games (and the Tigers lineup) should help make things better. Unfortunately I'll be out of town this weekend, and won't be able to pick it back up until next week.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #283
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Another thing to mention about this game after playing some more last night. The pickoff problems from last year's game have been fixed. It's a much better reaction time allowance in this year's game. I was really happy to see that as I like to play as a speedy OF player in the RTTS mode. Stealing bases also give you 15 training points, which helps my speedster develop a bit quicker.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #284
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm still waiting for the link from mbbf on the issue Bill Harris is having being a closer in RTTS.

I'm sure we'll see it soon.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #285
SackAttack
Head Coach

I can't find a permalink to the post in question, but if you go here:

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/

And go down about three posts, he talks about it. Go down two posts, and he mentions that when the pitcher came back from the DL, the problem went away, so it seems like it's a problem with the way the AI handles the pitching staff if the starting rotation is short.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:02 PM   #286
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Man this game gets some of the little things done right that help immerse you in the game. I have Lilly up and he lays a sac bunt down the 1b line. The ball is rolling just inside fair territory and Lilly is catching up to it running to first. He gets to the ball and does a little hop over the ball to avoid hitting it, nice touch
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #287
SackAttack
Head Coach

I'm getting better at manufacturing runs, although I'm still not great at hitting.

But I'm noticing that there are a couple defensive hiccups. The pitcher doesn't cover first base very well on 3-6-1 double play attempts - first baseman fields the ball deep, throws to the man covering second, who throws back to first where the pitcher should have moved over to cover - and occasionally you get some weird things when throwing the ball to a base.

I had Nomar field a groundball, and I tried to fire the ball to second to start a 5-4-3 double play. Well, nobody was covering the bag. So Nomar just stood there. Waited until somebody covered. And then weakly tossed the ball over there, as though he had scooped it while on the run and immediately tried to throw it off-balance. See, a throw like that makes perfect sense if it's one fluid play, but if he's standing around before the throw because he's waiting for somebody to cover, that ball really should have been zipped in there the way I tried to do in the first place. I mean, the man's set his feet already.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:13 PM   #288
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

For anyone looking for some good all-star sliders here are some I am using.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...d.php?t=241238

They are also available for d'load through the online options of The Show.

Only played 5 games with a couple of versions of these so the sample is small but this current build plays a good game of baseball. Realistic foul ball numbers and pitch counts with what, so far, looks to be good fatigue results for pitchers.

My only problem so far is with the pitching meter I am too precise. However the slider designer does suggest using classic pitching as, according to him, it makes it harder to hit your spots.

Last edited by Sweed : 03-07-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:13 PM   #289
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I'm getting better at manufacturing runs, although I'm still not great at hitting.

But I'm noticing that there are a couple defensive hiccups. The pitcher doesn't cover first base very well on 3-6-1 double play attempts - first baseman fields the ball deep, throws to the man covering second, who throws back to first where the pitcher should have moved over to cover - and occasionally you get some weird things when throwing the ball to a base.

I had Nomar field a groundball, and I tried to fire the ball to second to start a 5-4-3 double play. Well, nobody was covering the bag. So Nomar just stood there. Waited until somebody covered. And then weakly tossed the ball over there, as though he had scooped it while on the run and immediately tried to throw it off-balance. See, a throw like that makes perfect sense if it's one fluid play, but if he's standing around before the throw because he's waiting for somebody to cover, that ball really should have been zipped in there the way I tried to do in the first place. I mean, the man's set his feet already.

Did you check the replay on that last play? I'm just curious where the other guy was positioned. I'd be interested to see if he was shifted one way, went to the wrong base, just stood there, etc.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:27 PM   #290
Icy
Pro Starter

In the PSP version i see some stupid defensive glitches from time to time, not enough to alter my game experience, but for sure WTF moments.

Example, I'm an SP in RTTS in AA level, I throw a sinker, the batter hits a soft liner to 3rd base, the ball was hit slow so it gets in between the 3rd base and LF, close to the side line... and both stand there looking at it until my SS who was also standing looking, all the sudden decided to go for it... Of course it ended on a triple play.

I have seen it only once in like 30 games played, i guess the glitch came from where the ball landed, but the AI should be faster thinkig which player should go to pick that ball.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:43 PM   #291
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Did you check the replay on that last play? I'm just curious where the other guy was positioned. I'd be interested to see if he was shifted one way, went to the wrong base, just stood there, etc.

The third baseman made the play in the cutout. Neither the shortstop nor the second baseman broke for the bag when the ball was hit. They just kind of stood around at their positions. After five seconds or so one of them ran in to receive the throw, but the player threw it so slowly that it never had a chance to get the out at second.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:49 PM   #292
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
The third baseman made the play in the cutout. Neither the shortstop nor the second baseman broke for the bag when the ball was hit. They just kind of stood around at their positions. After five seconds or so one of them ran in to receive the throw, but the player threw it so slowly that it never had a chance to get the out at second.

Interesting. I'm like Icy. I see a problem like that every once in awhile (every 30 games like he said is a pretty good estimate). I haven't seen a situation like that yet in 08, but I saw a couple of bunts that no one fielded in the '07 version. There's obviously a coverage hole in those situations.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:53 PM   #293
TroyF
Coordinator

I had a case when I was screwing around with a career at 1B where the batter popped up a bunt between the pitcher and the cather. Both stood still and watched the ball hit the ground. The batter could have crawled up the first base line for a hit. The runner on first went to third on the "single."

Not many issues, but there are some.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #294
SackAttack
Head Coach

To me it's less the coverage oopsie that's the problem and more the weak throw despite standing around for 5 seconds.

The coverage oopsie doesn't happen all that often, but the whole momentum-based throwing has some weirdnesses when you tell a player to throw, but for some reason he can't right away. It ends up responding as though he HAD thrown right away, and that's kind of problematic.

Time for work. Back around 8:30.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #295
Travis
Pro Rookie

Just noticed Futureshop.ca is running a promotion this week: $400 for a 40gig PS3 bundled with the Show.

If you're not worried about backwards compatibility, a pretty solid deal.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:33 AM   #296
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

More nice little touches I noticed over the weekend.

-If your player hit a homerun earlier in the game, when you get to a later at-bat, the announcers talk about your earlier homerun and then show a highlight package of the actual homerun. Really helps with immersion.

-Can't say enough about the people in the stands trying to catch the foul balls. Really helps it feel like a real game.

-When the umpire called a strike on a ball out of the zone, my batter took a step out of the box and started muttering to himself.

-Advancement goals in the RTTS mode really add a lot to the game. Gives you a better idea of what you need to do to move forward in your career.

-Scoreboards update in the background much like a real scoreboard. As soon as my outfielder makes a catch, the out immediately gets updated. After a delay of a few seconds, the ball and strike counts are then reset.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:17 AM   #297
TroyF
Coordinator

I'm enjoying the game on the PS3, not so much on the PSP. (I think I'm just going to have to be a pitcher in the PSP game, it just takes too long to play as a regular player.

I still have my issues with the PS3 -

1) I have issues with the baserunning and fielding. It's not just that I don't like to do those things, it's that they are horribly executed and add little to the game. For some reason the game doesn't turn my head toward the ball as I'm running, so I have no idea if the ball got to the gap or if it was caught on the track. I can watch the third base coach, but to be frank, he's an idiot. I made a great read on a slow chopper and scored from second after the 1B had to reach off the bag and was delayed. Did I get anything for it? Yeah, the 5 points for a run.

I had an inning last night on defense that just baffled me. (I'm a LF) I had 8 plays in the inning. Two of these plays consisted of me watching a 450 foot HR go over the LF wall. 2 others were foul balls, also 450 feet over the wall and out of play. 4 plays involved me chasing either a ground ball single or a line drive to a gap. (I had zero chance of ever getting the ball on any of them) On one play I made a perfect read on a ball and got it into the cut off man perfectly. He threw the ball home and gunned down a runner. What did I get for this inning that took 10 minutes to play? Nothing. Not a single point for any of it.

Yeah, that was worth it. . .

2) On the summary screen after a game, it calculates BB into your SLG%. I think it's fixed on the main stats, but it's a little goofy to see you have 3 singles in 10 at bats with 2BB and see your SLG be .500.

Overall, I still like it. It's enjoyable and I'm having fun. I look forward to trying out the 2K game to see how it plays as I don't think this was the slam dunk it has been the last few years. I don't think The Show improved enough to call it a slam dunk winner this year.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #298
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I started my season as the O's on Saturday night after everyone went to bed. As I kept losing I kept saying, "one more game." Unfortunately, I stayed up WAY beyond my normal limits and only realized (to my horror) that I forgot we moved the clocks forward that night. Needless to say, I went to bed at 3:20am on Saturday and was a wreck yesterday. Still, I had fun
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #299
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
I started my season as the O's on Saturday night after everyone went to bed. As I kept losing I kept saying, "one more game." Unfortunately, I stayed up WAY beyond my normal limits and only realized (to my horror) that I forgot we moved the clocks forward that night. Needless to say, I went to bed at 3:20am on Saturday and was a wreck yesterday. Still, I had fun

LOL.......I did that as well. Kept doing the 'one more game' thing on RTTS. Ended up only getting a couple of hours of sleep. I made up for it when I put the baby to bed at 8:00 PM last night and went right to sleep immediately afterwards.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #300
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I'm annoyed, I picked up the PS3 version of the game over the weekend and my schedule for playing was totally overcome by events, first work getting in the way, then family things that needed done.

Maybe tonight, if I'm not too tired after work and the gym and grocery shopping.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote