Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-03-2007, 12:47 PM   #251
MikeVic
Head Coach

Would you be happy if everyone was forced to get domes and artificial turf? Maybe wear more padding so they don't get injured? Some kind of mechanical device to stop a leg from bending the other way so it never breaks?

If you're a good football player, you should be able to play on crappy grass.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:49 PM   #252
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Would you be happy if everyone was forced to get domes and artificial turf? Maybe wear more padding so they don't get injured? Some kind of mechanical device to stop a leg from bending the other way so it never breaks?

Grass is being kind referring to the composition of that field.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:53 PM   #253
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Then bring back Veterans Stadium!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:03 PM   #254
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Would you be happy if everyone was forced to get domes and artificial turf?

Personally I couldn't give less of a damn if all NFL games were played indoors, the impact on my life would be nil. I don't think I've ever paid to be any more miserable than sitting through one NFL game in person & that was indoors. I can't imagine how much worse it would have been to be that bored and cold at the same time.

edit to add: Come to think of it though, those tickets were free ... but somebody should have paid me for those hours of my life I'll never get back.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-03-2007 at 01:03 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:06 PM   #255
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Then bring back Veterans Stadium!
Veterans Stadium. Yikes. I'm sure that many players got torn up on that field, but the one that always stood out to me was the Bears' Wendell Davis. As I remember it, his cleats got caught in a seam in the turf as he was running a deep post route. Both of his kneecaps ended up halfway up his thighs. That was pretty much the end of his career.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:08 PM   #256
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendell_Davis
Davis currently owns and operates a franchise of a barber shops called "Big League Barbers" located in Riverwoods, Illinois. Currently he is a defensive coach for the Maize High School in Maize, Ks. Right next to Wichita, Ks.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:18 PM   #257
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Veterans Stadium. Yikes. I'm sure that many players got torn up on that field, but the one that always stood out to me was the Bears' Wendell Davis. As I remember it, his cleats got caught in a seam in the turf as he was running a deep post route. Both of his kneecaps ended up halfway up his thighs. That was pretty much the end of his career.

I remember that one
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #258
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I heard Madden make the point that it's football, since when did it have to be played on some pristine field? I agree completely, the whole point of football is that it is brutal and messy, and the team that can outplay the other one, regardless of circumstance, is the better team that day. All this crying about the field is kind of sad.

It's not 1960 or 1970 anymore. They have now actually invented quality fake turf. Guys aren't paid $35,000 to play the game anymore. Teams invest multi-millions. It's a worldwide product now that doesn't gain anything by having a crappy game played on a crappy field.

It's one thing if you've done all you could but it still snows during the game creating havoc. Nothing you can do there. Here, it's preventable with the simple installation of Field Turf. In this day and age, it's a joke. Simple as that.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:56 PM   #259
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
It's one thing if you've done all you could but it still snows during the game creating havoc. Nothing you can do there.

You could cover the field and delay/postpone the game like baseball couldn't you?

I'm not advocating crappy fields by design. I just think that it's a bit much to freak out because one or two games are played on a bad field.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:04 PM   #260
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I've only been in the Pittsburgh area for a little over two years now, but from what I've seen, the bad weather is pretty common around here. I don't understand why they would build Heinz Field and not put the FieldTurf in, especially when Pitt also plays there, as well as high school championship games. That field needs to stay in good shape. Maybe you could get away with it in a drier climate, but it just doesn't make sense here.

I don't get it.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:10 PM   #261
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The problem I have is the stadium is 6 years old and the field plays like that.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:12 PM   #262
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

were you expecting super grass?
Old 12-03-2007, 02:45 PM   #263
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The turf in Gillette stadium was shit in like 4 years, so it's not like this is the only place it's happened. Teams this far north probably shouldn't be playing on Grass unfortunately. I suspect this will change this offseason, and the league will strongly "suggest" that they install fieldturf. Besides, I think the Steelers offense would generally perform better on a more uniform surface.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:56 PM   #264
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The turf in Gillette stadium was shit in like 4 years, so it's not like this is the only place it's happened. Teams this far north probably shouldn't be playing on Grass unfortunately. I suspect this will change this offseason, and the league will strongly "suggest" that they install fieldturf. Besides, I think the Steelers offense would generally perform better on a more uniform surface.

Yup, after the big hue and cry over the Patriots (especially the gamesmanship when Indy came to town), they put fieldturf in right away. Not sure why that wasn't when the league mandated it...
Old 12-03-2007, 03:09 PM   #265
RendeR
Coordinator

The NFL should mandate FieldTurf, its been show to play and react just like natural grass and it saves the teams millions per season in field reconstruction and maintenance.

No excuse for the playing conditions in Pittsburgh this season.

Is it any wonder that people equate the steelers with Ugly?
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #266
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
The NFL should mandate FieldTurf, its been show to play and react just like natural grass and it saves the teams millions per season in field reconstruction and maintenance.

No excuse for the playing conditions in Pittsburgh this season.

Is it any wonder that people equate the steelers with Ugly?

Hasn't it been two games this year with bad field? And I'd say last night's game was not that bad.

Who are these people? That's the first I've heard of it.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:25 PM   #267
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Carson Palmer really isn't that bad, it was just the field that made him suck. Bengals fans can relax, and start thinking about the draft.

-ugly steeler fan
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #268
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Hasn't it been two games this year with bad field? And I'd say last night's game was not that bad.

Who are these people? That's the first I've heard of it.

Last night's game didn't se that bad until you watch some of the route running by recievers on both sides. From the clips a good 1/4 of every route got ruined by the receiver slipping or the turf coming out from under him.

Good example was TJ trying to cut back to his right on a deep-out and a chunk of sid about 2 feet square just slid out of place under his foot.

I don't disagree that it is football and the elements shoul be part of the game, but the turf itself wasn't suitable for a backyard pick-up game the last two weeks in;Pitt and that should force them to take a long hard look at how they maintain their field.

Field Turf would have allowedthe elements (winter weather) to affect the game without the turf itself being such a negative factor.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:30 PM   #269
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Carson Palmer really isn't that bad, it was just the field that made him suck. Bengals fans can relax, and start thinking about the draft.

-ugly steeler fan

Actually in the second half carson was awful, throwing high and wide of every reciever.The field made everyone suck. This isn't about making excuses for the Bengals losing, this is about a pathetic excuse for a football field preperation by a professional franchise. It makes the Steelers look terrible to play games on turf that bad.

As for the game, Meh, we got beat, we won the turnover battle and just couldn't do anything on offense. Our passing game uses 3 plays and they run them so many times the defense can't be in the wrong place and we get nowhere.

Not even going to discuss our Defense and its utter lack of....well...existance.

Bleh.

Now about you being ugly...that I'll let stand, its your own opinion so I won't bother correcting you.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:35 PM   #270
MikeVic
Head Coach

Ohhhh you're a Bengal fan. Yeah, I agree the field made everyone a bit less than their optimal self. With a pristine field, it might have been 48-10. And this is without Holmes and Polamalu. Ouch.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:51 PM   #271
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Ohhhh you're a Bengal fan. Yeah, I agree the field made everyone a bit less than their optimal self. With a pristine field, it might have been 48-10. And this is without Holmes and Polamalu. Ouch.

Whatever, go troll someone who cares.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:54 PM   #272
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Whatever, go troll someone who cares.

How am I a troll? You're the one that said people say the Steelers are equated with ugly.

Eh, whatever. I don't think I even know what trolling means so I'll leave it.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:57 PM   #273
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
It's not 1960 or 1970 anymore. They have now actually invented quality fake turf. Guys aren't paid $35,000 to play the game anymore. Teams invest multi-millions. It's a worldwide product now that doesn't gain anything by having a crappy game played on a crappy field.

It's one thing if you've done all you could but it still snows during the game creating havoc. Nothing you can do there. Here, it's preventable with the simple installation of Field Turf. In this day and age, it's a joke. Simple as that.

But if football is entertainment, what's to gain from everyone having a perfect field? It's a joke in the sense that The Steelers can't figure out how to get it right, but every time I see a game where the field conditions are an issue, it's just way more fun the a regular game, and I wonder if this is the last time we'll ever see something like that.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #274
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
But if football is entertainment, what's to gain from everyone having a perfect field? It's a joke in the sense that The Steelers can't figure out how to get it right, but every time I see a game where the field conditions are an issue, it's just way more fun the a regular game, and I wonder if this is the last time we'll ever see something like that.

So you're of the opinion thatthe itt-Miami game last week in the flood-bowl was more entertaining that a game played in good conditions?

yep, 3-0 and 20 some odd 3 and outs is entertaining. Come on now.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #275
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
But if football is entertainment, what's to gain from everyone having a perfect field?

I would think it is more entertaining being able to see players able to play to their maximum ability as opposed to sliding all over the place.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:09 PM   #276
molson
General Manager

Quote:
So you're of the opinion thatthe itt-Miami game last week in the flood-bowl was more entertaining that a game played in good conditions?

Every once in a while - yes. If it's raining and snowing, I want to that to impact the game in some say, not come up with technology that makes the weather elements obsolete.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:12 PM   #277
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I would think it is more entertaining being able to see players able to play to their maximum ability as opposed to sliding all over the place.

Would you want every game played in a dome? Even field turf is slowing players down v. artifical turf. Not to mention wind.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:30 PM   #278
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Every once in a while - yes. If it's raining and snowing, I want to that to impact the game in some say, not come up with technology that makes the weather elements obsolete.

The weather didn't have all that much to do with it because I'm guessing sod on top of sod would've made a mess with the rain or not. That was just very poor field management by the Steelers or the city of Pittsburgh...whoever was responsible for the debacle.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:48 PM   #279
Huckleberry
College Starter

It was definitely the insane amount of rain. What they tried has worked before.

Buncha crybabies, IMO. Play the game you pansies. Reminds me of major league infielders complaining about a bad hop. I'd like to see them take infield at the average local high school field. You know, like they used to.

I'm all in favor of less than ideal conditions. The Miami @ Pittsburgh game was perfect. Shitty field but no increased chance of injury because nobody could plant worth a shit. Not to mention that the ground was softer than normal.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:29 PM   #280
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm guessing the ratings for that Pittsburgh-Miami game, especially after the 1st Q were abyssmal.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:18 PM   #281
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Too many wusses here that grew up thinking everything should be and look like a video game.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:21 PM   #282
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I'm guessing the ratings for that Pittsburgh-Miami game, especially after the 1st Q were abyssmal.

I have no idea, but typically football games with various weather-related issues have done very well in the ratings, and are also remembered fondly (fog bowl, Pats/Raiders in a blizzard).

I just like variety in my sports - outdoor pro hockey, old baseball parks with weird configurations, muddy football fields, ect. Aren't there hundreds and hundreds of "normal" games - if that's what some people prefer, can't they just be happy with those 99.5% and not freak out when one game goes against the norm a little?
Old 12-03-2007, 06:24 PM   #283
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Too many wusses here that grew up thinking everything should be and look like a video game.

Yep, they should play on dirt with rocks and stuff! Those damned wusses... wanting grass!
Old 12-03-2007, 06:25 PM   #284
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have no idea, but typically football games with various weather-related issues have done very well in the ratings, and are also remembered fondly (fog bowl, Pats/Raiders in a blizzard).

Interestingly both didn't have horrible playing surfaces, which is something controllable .

What does it say that the blizzard game had better grass (well, once they cleared the snow off ) than the Pittsburgh ones?
Old 12-03-2007, 06:32 PM   #285
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Yep, they should play on dirt with rocks and stuff! Those damned wusses... wanting grass!

You mean like all those games that were played in shared stadiums that had a bare infield??? The horror.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:41 PM   #286
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm with Bucc and molson 100% on this one. Do you guys seriously want a green pristine playing surface for EVERY football game? If we had that, the Bucs might have been 4-time Super Bowl champs by now...

I don't know if this is an argument for field quality or weather conditions anymore. And as for field turf, I don't know, I like knowing there's real grass still being played on.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:06 PM   #287
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I didn't watch that game but I can safely say that it had nothing to do with the turf conditions. I wonder how many Miami games this year had great ratings beyond the 1Q. Personally speaking, I love seeing weather conditions play a part in the game.. I love watching a football game be played in snow or fog or floods or whatever. As long as it is not a danger hazard (such as lightning) or such, I'm all for a good ole mud bowl.

Since I didn't see the game, I can't comment on how much of it was weather vs poor turf management.. obviously they should do everything they can to try to have a presentable field, but chalk me up as someone who loves a good ole fashioned mud brawl when the weather dictates.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:09 PM   #288
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

omg..
brady and manning the best because they understand the game

wth are you talking about?
Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:14 PM   #289
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

I can't stand Emmit Smith, the commentator. Emmit the football player was great, but my God I hope ESPN doesn't bring him back.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:15 PM   #290
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
I can't stand Emmit Smith, the commentator. Emmit the football player was great, but my God I hope ESPN doesn't bring him back.

what about Emmit the dancer?
Old 12-03-2007, 07:15 PM   #291
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
what about Emmit the dancer?

sexy
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:46 PM   #292
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

1st and Inches.. *snerks*
Old 12-03-2007, 07:47 PM   #293
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

credit where credit is due.. Great play by Ray Lewis
Old 12-03-2007, 07:51 PM   #294
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

ARGGHH.. 4 points right off the board. Ben Watson makes that catch 98 times out of 100.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:05 PM   #295
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Ugh. 15 yards is like 150 yards for Kyle Boller.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:07 PM   #296
kingfc22
Head Coach

Which direction the teams are going on the field will play a huge role otnight if the wind keeps up like it is.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:08 PM   #297
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yarghhh.. great job by Boller to get away, great throw, and the missed INT chance
Old 12-03-2007, 08:16 PM   #298
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Too early to dream?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:21 PM   #299
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer