Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-18-2007, 02:19 PM   #251
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Yo diggity's pick:

8.3 - George Brett Pine Tar incident - Controversy

Who hasn't done a George Brett impersonation? Storming out of the dugout, doing everything you can to get to the imaginary umpire? In a July 24, 1983 game against the Yankees, Royal Hall of Famer George Brett homered to put the Royals up 5-4. Late Yankee manager Billy Martin argued that Brett's bat was illegal because it contained more than the maximum amount of pine tar--Martin measured the bat against the width of home plate. The umpires agreed and called Brett out, setting the stage for Brett's explosion. The Royals played the rest of the game under protest. The league upheld the protest and the game was continued later in the season from the point of Brett's home run, with the Royals leading 5-4.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 05-18-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:52 PM   #252
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

My pick:

8.4 - Ben Johnson destroys the field in the 100-meter final at the 1988 Seoul Olympics - Controversy

It was hyped as the biggest race of all-time. After losing the world championship to Johnson in 1987, Carl Lewis had publicly sworn that he would never lose to his Canadian rival again. But when the two lined up in a dramatic showdown in Seoul, the result was never in doubt -- Johnson destroyed Lewis and the rest of the field, running an unhead of 9.79. It would be 15 years before a sprinter would match Johnson's time, and experts say he could have run 9.75 or better if he hadn't slowed down at the end of the race. The site of Lewis watching in shock as Johnson crossed the line well ahead of him was, briefly, a signature image of the 1988 games.

Three days later, it was announced that Johnson had failed his drug test and would be stripped of his gold medal. Although he initially denied it, Johnson later admitted to a comprehensive doping regime. Despite two failed comebacks, Johnson was quickly cast aside, a symbol of the cheating athelete. He faded into obscurity and near bankruptcy, reduced to running side-show stunt races against horses.

Twenty years later, we know that Johnson was far from the only cheater in the field. Lewis had failed three drug tests in 1988, but the tests had been covered up by the American Olympic body after Lewis explained that he had taken a herbal supplement. Silver medalist Linford Christie and fourth-place finisher Dennis Mitchell were both banned for steroid use later in their careers. Canadian Desai Williams never failed a test but admitted he had also used steroids. Of the top five runners, only American Calvin Smith was never linked directly to drug use.

The 1988 Seoul race is now considered, as one UK newspaper labelled it, "the most corrupt race ever".
Old 05-18-2007, 03:00 PM   #253
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Heh - I was tempted to take that in the speed category in round 6 and 7. Nice pick.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:23 PM   #254
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
7.1 - After having trailed 30-7 in the 4th quarter, John Hall kicks a FG in overtime to complete an amazing comeback by the Jets vs Miami on Monday Night Football in 2000 - Comeback
7.2 - Kerri Strug lands a vault on one leg, helping the US win the Oplympic gold medal over Russia for gymastics in 1996 - Emotion
7.3 - Texas Western defeats KU in 1966 Champioship game - Upset
7.4 Richard Steele stops the Julio Cesar Chavez-Meldrick Taylor fight with 2 seconds left in the 12th round, giving Chavez a TKO victory - Controversy
7.5 - Bill Mazeroski- Power - Hr to end the 1960 world series
7.6 - Bob Beamon shatters the long jump world record, 1968 Olympics in Mexico City - Record Breaking
7.7 - Dave Roberts steals second base off Mariano Rivera to start the Red Sox comeback in game four of the 2004 ALCS - Speed
7.8 - Freshman Michael Jordan sinks a jumper with 15 seconds left to lift North Carolina over Georgetown in the NCAA Championship Game, 63-62 - Clutch
7.9 - 1986 Western Conference Semifinals, Steve Smith scores the Series Clinching goal, for the wrong team - Choke
7.10 - Final seconds tick down in Chaminade's 77-72 victory over Virginia - Upset

I approve of round seven...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:27 PM   #255
digamma
Torchbearer

The description of my 8.3 pick:

Who hasn't done a George Brett impersonation? Storming out of the dugout, doing everything you can to get to the imaginary umpire? In a July 24, 1983 game against the Yankees, Royal Hall of Famer George Brett homered to put the Royals up 5-4. Late Yankee manager Billy Martin argued that Brett's bat was illegal because it contained more than the maximum amount of pine tar--Martin measured the bat against the width of home plate. The umpires agreed and called Brett out, setting the stage for Brett's explosion. The Royals played the rest of the game under protest. The league upheld the protest and the game was continued later in the season from the point of Brett's home run, with the Royals leading 5-4.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:32 PM   #256
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

8.5 - David Beckham's free kick takes England to the 2002 World Cup - Clutch

Going into the final set of qualifying matches, England were playing Greece at home and just needed to equal or better Germany's result. England played poorly and found themselves 2-1 down deep into time added on, with news filtering through that Germany had secured a draw. Beckham had ran his socks off all game and been just about the only player in white to have any credit associated with his performance. With England essentially just punting the ball up to the front men in desperation, Teddy Sheringham was fouled challenging for a ball in the air. The clock showed 92:30, it could well have been the last kick of the game. Cometh the hour...

Whilst a truly excellent free kick it is not one of the best ever. But with the pressure on his shoulders, a whole nation expectant going in the game and now asking, begging him to deliver, it is magnified in greatness. Beckham said later that it was one of the few times in his career he has felt 100% truly 'in the zone'. He just visualised over and over the run up, striking it and scoring. He had no doubt in his mind he wouldn't score. It turned out that it was the last kick in the game, England drew 2-2 to go to the World Cup and a nation embraced Becks as their hero.

Last edited by tanglewood : 05-18-2007 at 08:35 PM.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:58 PM   #257
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

8.6 - Controversy- The 2003 ALCS - Grady Little leaving Pedro Martinez in Grady Little is probably a decent human being - but there isn't a soul in Boston who would vouch for that. Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS, and the Sox, with Pedro Martinez (against Roger Clemens), looked like they were finally going to conquer the beast - the World Series, once again, and a chance to erase the memories of Buckner.

Come to the 8th inning - with the Red Sox leading 5-2. A tiring Martinez (whose effectiveness after 100 pitches had been noted by many) gives up a double to Jeter, and a single to Johnny Damon - making it 5-3. Grady Little walks out to the mound, talks to Pedro.... and leaves him in. The rest, as they say, is history. The Damn Yankees come back to tie it at 5, before Aaron F***** Boone finishes it in the 10th inning. A year later, it would all be over, but Grady Little will never be forgiven, and will never be forgotten.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:43 PM   #258
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I have a question about the George Brett Incident...

On what grounds was the protest upheld? What reasoning was there for saying the umpire's incorrectly applied a rule of the game?

A cursory search of Wikipedia didn't address this question...

Thanks!
~rpi-fan
Old 05-18-2007, 09:53 PM   #259
sabotai
General Manager

8.7 - Al Unser Jr. beats Scott Goodyear by 0.043 seconds to win the 1992 Indianapolis 500 - Drama

Michael Andretti was destroying the field. He had led 163 of 189 laps when, with 11 laps to go, his fuel pump failed and his car rolled to a stop. That set Unser Jr. and Goodyear to duel it out for the win. Goodyear trailed Unser Jr. for the remaining laps, got as close as he could to him, and as they came to the finish line, he made his move. It just wasn't enough as Unser Jr. beats him by about 2/3rds the length of a car for the closest and most dramatic finish in Indy 500 history.

On a personal note, I remember watching this race from start to finish. Watching it again makes me sad that the sport went on a downward spiral.

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:57 PM   #260
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

8.8 Choke- Andres Escobar scores and own goal in 1994 world cup, USA wins game 2-1 and eliminates Columbia from the tournament.

Not only did this cause Columbia, favored by some to win the whole thing, to lose, but lose to the USA and not even advance past the group round.

It was such a big choke that he was murdered in cold blood when he returned home.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:02 PM   #261
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post

On what grounds was the protest upheld? What reasoning was there for saying the umpire's incorrectly applied a rule of the game?

A cursory search of Wikipedia didn't address this question...

Thanks!
~rpi-fan

I have no idea, but it could be the asinine reason for the rule in the first place.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:59 AM   #262
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post

I believe the ruling was that the umpires had applied the rule correctly, but that the rule itself was not intended for this sort of situation. Basically that the umps were right, but it was still more fair to ignore the rule in the situation rather than change the game on a techincality. The rule was changed in the off-season.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 05-19-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 03:25 PM   #263
Schmidty
Coordinator

8.9 - Adam Vinatieri kicks a field goal to win Super Bowl XXXVI. (Clutch)

I checked and checked to see if this had been picked, but didn't see it. I am very suprised and happy that this is still around in the 8th round.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:02 PM   #264
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Radii's picks...

8.10 - Steve Bartman Foul Ball play begins the downfall of the 2003 Chicago Cubs - Choke

The Cubs were going to the world series. Mark Prior was dominating the Marlins in game 6 of the NLCS. The Cubs had a nice sized lead and were cruising to a 4-2 series win and their first trip to the World Series since 1945. A foul ball down the left field line, slightly into the stands, but Moises Alou is there, but the fan doesn't get out of the way, and Alou can't make a play on the ball. Bartman isn't to blame for the loss, but after that foul ball, a choke of massive proportions began. Alex Gonzalez makes an error at SS. Dusty Baker leaves Prior in to throw approximately 145 million pitches before pulling him, the Marlins score about 75 runs in the 8th inning and win the game, and go on to win game 7 to advance to the world series instead of the cubs.

I believe some of the stats I outlined above may be inaccurate, the Marlins probably didn't score 75 runs in the 8th inning, but as a Cubs fan, looking up all of the necessary details past what i've outlined here is simply too painful.

9.1 - Tony Dorsett breaks a 99 yard run on Monday Night Football vs the Minnesota Vikings in 1983 - Speed

The longest run in NFL History, in prime time on national TV, by one of the best backs in the league, and you can add to the legend and fame of this play by noting that Dallas only had 10 men on the field at the time.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:07 PM   #265
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Here are my writeups for previous autopicks...

5.10 - Francisco Cabrera hits a single to left field and Sid Bream runs to the plate for the winning run in game 7 of the 1992 NLCS - Drama

Doesn't get much more dramatic than this. Two outs. Bottom of the 9th. Bases loaded. Game 7. Francisco Cabrera is up, and he's only had 10 at bats all season. The winning run on 2nd is Sid Bream, one of the slowest runners in the league. Cabrera just missed a home run on the 2-0 pitch. He lines the 2-1 pitch into left field, where the best player in baseball is waiting. The throw comes home as Sid is chugging down the base paths. The throw is in time but it is a little off target. The catcher reaches, Sid slides, and he is safe. "Braves win! Braves win! Braves win! Braves win!"

6.1 - Florida State, Wide Right 1991 - Choke

There were several wide rights (and a wide left) to choose from. This is the best for several reasons. 1) It was the first. 2) Bobby's priceless reaction to the kick. He runs out on the field thinking it's good and then stands there dumbfounded, asking "Was it good?". 3) It was the shortest of all four kicks. Only a 34 yarder that would have made the Seminoles 11-0. 4) It's the only one where Miami went on to win the national championship.

7.10 - Final seconds tick down in Chaminade's 77-72 victory over Virginia - Upset

I was pretty pleased to get this one so late. Just the idea of an upset of this magnitude today would be unthinkable. Chaminade wasn't even an NCAA team at the time (they are now Div. 2), they were NAIA. Virginia was ranked #1 in the nation and had just beaten Patrick Ewing's Georgetown Hoyas and Phi Slamma Jamma. Chaminade only had 800 students enrolled and had just lost to the powerhouse Wayland Baptist squad. They came out firing and took a 7-0 lead, but Virginia came back and held a 7 pt lead in the 2nd half. Chaminade then made their own run and took a 70-68 lead with 1:30 left. Virginia couldn't find the hoop and was forced to begin fouling. Chaminade made 7 free throws in the final 46 seconds to win 77-72.

8.1 - Smarty Jones gets passed at the very end of the Belmont Stakes - Emotion

Everyone had been waiting for it. It had been 26 years since the last triple crown winner, and Smarty Jones seemed to have the best shot to be the horse that finally did it. He was leading down the stretch and it looked like he was going to win. Birdstone came on strong but for a second it looked like he didn't have enough time. But he kept coming. As they came to the tape, Birdstone passed Smarty Jones and you can hear the disappointment in the announcer's voice as he says "And Birdstone wins the Belmont Stakes."

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:17 PM   #266
Buccaneer
Head Coach

This is going to be so much fun judging. Too bad ML was such a bigot or else I would have signed up.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:21 PM   #267
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I am already thinking that I'll probably score more regional events lower than national (re: US) ones. Winning a game that fans in only three states care about. A game, imo, has to transcend that into something that is becomes part of the national psyche (like the Cal-Stanford Band Incident).
Old 05-19-2007, 08:01 PM   #268
Schmidty
Coordinator

9.2 - "No mas!!! No Mas!!!". Roberto Duran quits in the midst of 8th round of his 2nd bout versus Sugar Ray Leonard. (Controversy)

Here's another one that I'm suprised is still here. I'm feeling lazy, but here's a good write-up of what happened: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_M%C3%A1s_Fight
Old 05-20-2007, 04:54 PM   #269
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

For what it's worth, I have some leftover Friday picks for Lathum and a recent pick from Sab (thanks guys), but I have nothing from crapshoot or tanglewood and haven't really seen them around, so I don't really see a reason to pick for anyone on a Sunday. Feel free to post for yourself if you're up, of course, but we'll resume full speed tomorrow.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:15 PM   #270
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Edited

Nice choices so far.

Last edited by Noop : 05-20-2007 at 06:52 PM.
Noop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:06 PM   #271
Logan
Head Coach

It would be sweet if you waited until the end, dick.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:10 PM   #272
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
For what it's worth, I have some leftover Friday picks for Lathum and a recent pick from Sab (thanks guys), but I have nothing from crapshoot or tanglewood and haven't really seen them around, so I don't really see a reason to pick for anyone on a Sunday. Feel free to post for yourself if you're up, of course, but we'll resume full speed tomorrow.

I've actually been around - I'll check again later today if my pick is up.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:51 PM   #273
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
It would be sweet if you waited until the end, dick.

I am sorry but did I break a rule? If I did I will remove my post but the name calling was not needed or called for... how about we act like people instead of little children with the name calling.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:37 PM   #274
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I am sorry but did I break a rule? If I did I will remove my post but the name calling was not needed or called for... how about we act like people instead of little children with the name calling.

Quote:
In general, it's considered very poor form to suggest picks during the draft -- the equivalent of being the guy who doesn't play poker but sits at the rail and shouts out to get attention. However, it will happen. If you're the sort of person who thinks you'd be really, really bothered by this, do yourself a favor and don't play.

I don't think you're actually a dick...more of a "dick" move. Sorry.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:57 PM   #275
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I don't think you're actually a dick...more of a "dick" move. Sorry.

I don't think it's necessary to use the word "dick" at all, especially considering he apologized and edited his post.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:24 PM   #276
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Fropm the very first post:

Quote:
In general, it's considered very poor form to suggest picks during the draft -- the equivalent of being the guy who doesn't play poker but sits at the rail and shouts out to get attention. However, it will happen. If you're the sort of person who thinks you'd be really, really bothered by this, do yourself a favor and don't play.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #277
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I don't think it's necessary to use the word "dick" at all, especially considering he apologized and edited his post.

Sorry again. I was merely explaining my original comment. It should have read "I didn't think you were..."
Old 05-21-2007, 07:44 AM   #278
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Lathum's pick:

9.3 - Final out in Cy Youngs 511th win - Record-breaking

If there truely is a record that will never be broken it's this one. To put it into perspective a pitcher would have to win 20 games for 25 consecutive seasons and would still be 11 wins short.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:46 AM   #279
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Sab's pick:

9.4 Adam Vinatieri kicks a 45 yard FG in a snowstorm to tie the game vs. Oakland in the 2001 Playoffs - Clutch

Sure, he hit a 48 yard FG to win the Super Bowl, but nothing says clutch like hitting nearly the same kick in a snowstorm. I would have gone with the OT kick, but that was only a 23 yarder.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:48 AM   #280
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Crapshoot's pick:

9.5 - Michael Owen scoring against Argentina - Speed

The 17 year old ran right past the defense 40 yards to score. It was a burst that hasn't been seen many times since, and announced Owen on the world stage.

Tanglewood is on the clock.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:11 PM   #281
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Tanglewood?
Old 05-21-2007, 01:35 PM   #282
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

What? Not a single Arena Football moment yet? THIS DRAFT IS GARBAGE!
Old 05-21-2007, 01:36 PM   #283
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
What? Not a single Arena Football moment yet? THIS DRAFT IS GARBAGE!

I still have 1 more pick left! There is still hope!
Old 05-21-2007, 01:46 PM   #284
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I still have 1 more pick left! There is still hope!
If you manage to use the AFL moment that I'm thinking of, I'll go to your house and give you $20 next month.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:09 PM   #285
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I'm not really crazy about skipping people, but we're pretty much at a standstill here. My pick is next, and then digamma. I don't have a pick for him, but dig if you're around either post here or PM me and we'll get this back on track.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:17 PM   #286
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You still have my last pick, correct?
Old 05-21-2007, 02:20 PM   #287
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
If you manage to use the AFL moment that I'm thinking of, I'll go to your house and give you $20 next month.

Well, the topic I have left is Comeback, so I dunno if the one you are thinking about will fit with it. I hope so, I would love to get $20. Even better if you wore you Denver Bronco hat and jersey, too!
Old 05-21-2007, 02:47 PM   #288
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Well, the topic I have left is Comeback, so I dunno if the one you are thinking about will fit with it. I hope so, I would love to get $20. Even better if you wore you Denver Bronco hat and jersey, too!
Ehhh, I suppose it's technically possible to use my AFL moment as a comeback. I guess maybe I shouldn't say any more, as I don't want it to look like I'm influencing picks here.

When I'm in Philly next month, I'll probably have my Broncos hat and jersey with me. Depending on the outcome of tonight's VooDoo/Soul AFL game (7:30 ET on ESPN2, asswhites!), I might wear my VooDoo jersey instead. You would be the envy of FOFC if you could get the great Pumpy Tudors to wear a football jersey, meet you in person, and give you $20.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:54 PM   #289
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
You still have my last pick, correct?
I have a pick for you, yes.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:09 PM   #290
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Anyone else find it odd that on a board dedicated to sports text sims the music draft was much more popular?
Old 05-21-2007, 07:06 PM   #291
digamma
Torchbearer

beep...............................beep..................................beep
Old 05-21-2007, 07:43 PM   #292
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Anyone else find it odd that on a board dedicated to sports text sims the music draft was much more popular?

No. The variety of music (past and present) is much more entertaining than sports.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:05 PM   #293
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I let things slide tody (it's a holiday in Canada), but when I get in tomorrow I'll make my pick and we'll resume the draft. Tanglewood can make his pick whenever he gets the chance, but everyone else be ready to finish this off tomorrow.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:12 AM   #294
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Sorry for not picking yesterday, I unexpectedly didn't have any internet access. WIll pick now.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:00 AM   #295
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

All in favor of knee-capping Tanglewood?
Old 05-22-2007, 10:02 AM   #296
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Me!

9.6 Henry Cooper knocks down Cassius Clay for the first time in his career - Power

1963, Cassius Clay is the top contender for the Heavyweight crown (whoch in 6 months he will go on to take from Sonny Liston). Clay comes to London for a fight against Britain's and perhaps Europe's best heavyweight. Much is expected of Cooper, possesor of a ferocious left-hook, but Clay is still hte big favourite. The fight is fairly even until the 4th round when near the end Cooper lays a jab to open up the elusive Clay before landing a hammer of a left. For the first time in his hereto unblemished career, Clay hits the deck. He manages to get back up and survive the few seconds to the end of the round as Cooper lands more body blows. At Clay's corner his manager is concerned for his dazed fighter and slits Clay's gloves in order to induce a delay before the 5th starts. Clay comes out and manages to press on Cooper with the skill htat he will become famous for, cutting him and forcing a TKO. After the fight Clay said Cooper "hit me so hard he shook my ancestors". Clay will go on to become Ali and thus 'The Greatest'. But for a few moments across the world his career was almost derailed before it picked up steam.

Yeah this pick isn't that great. But power has slim pickings compared to the others and I left till late.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:06 AM   #297
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

9.7 - Joe DiMaggio grounds out with the bases loaded, ending his 56-game hitting streak - Record-breaking

From ESPN.com:

A crowd of 67,468 in Cleveland, a major league record for a night game, sees Joltin' Joe's hitting streak end at 56. Third baseman Ken Keltner makes two outstanding plays, grabbing DiMaggio smashes down the line in the first and seventh innings and throwing him out at first base. In between these at-bats, left-hander Al Smith walks DiMaggio in the fourth.

The Yankee Clipper has one more chance to extend his streak when he bats in the eighth with the bases full against Jim Bagby, a young right-hander who just enters the game. DiMaggio hits the ball sharply, but shortstop Lou Boudreau plays a bad hop perfectly and turns the grounder into a double play.

After the game, DiMaggio will start another hitting streak - 16 games. In other words, if Boudreau doesn't make the play the streak could have stretched to 73 games. Nobody has come within 10 games of DiMaggio's streak, and with all the media attention that would happen today it's quite possible that the record will never be broken.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:10 AM   #298
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
8.6 - Controversy- The 2003 ALCS - Grady Little leaving Pedro Martinez in Grady Little is probably a decent human being - but there isn't a soul in Boston who would vouch for that. Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS, and the Sox, with Pedro Martinez (against Roger Clemens), looked like they were finally going to conquer the beast - the World Series, once again, and a chance to erase the memories of Buckner.

Come to the 8th inning - with the Red Sox leading 5-2. A tiring Martinez (whose effectiveness after 100 pitches had been noted by many) gives up a double to Jeter, and a single to Johnny Damon - making it 5-3. Grady Little walks out to the mound, talks to Pedro.... and leaves him in. The rest, as they say, is history. The Damn Yankees come back to tie it at 5, before Aaron F***** Boone finishes it in the 10th inning. A year later, it would all be over, but Grady Little will never be forgiven, and will never be forgotten.
Remember this like it was yesterday. However...bolded part, damon was playing center for the Sox at that time.

Last edited by stevew : 05-22-2007 at 10:21 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:19 AM   #299
digamma
Torchbearer

9.8 William the "Refrigerator" Perry plows across the goal line in Super Bowl XX. Power.

The Bears had been using the massive defensive tackle Perry as a fullback in some short yardage situations. He capped off a rout of the Patriots in Super Bowl XX plowing through the line on a short run. This play is symbolic of the powerful team the Bears had that season and their demolition of the Patriots in the Super Bowl. (Though, it should be noted many fans thought the ball should have gone to Walter Payton in that situation.)
Old 05-22-2007, 10:24 AM   #300
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

9.9 May 1, 1991, Henderson broke one of baseball's most famous records when he stole the 939th base of his career, one more than Lou Brock - Speed

On May 1, 1991, Henderson broke one of baseball's most famous records when he stole the 939th base of his career, one more than Lou Brock. However, Henderson's achievement was somewhat overshadowed because Nolan Ryan, at age 44, set a record that same night by throwing a no-hitter against Toronto, the seventh of his career. Two years earlier, Ryan had also achieved glory at Henderson's expense by making him his 5,000th strikeout victim.

Rickey's speech (at right) after breaking Lou Brock's all-time steals record sounds like the standard victory/award speech. Henderson thanked God and his mother, as well as the people that helped him in baseball. All that is remembered, however, is the "I am the greatest of all time" quote, which has been taken out of context to support the notion that Henderson is selfish and arrogant.[2] Years later, Henderson revealed that he had gone over his planned remarks ahead of time with Brock, and the Cardinals Hall of Famer "had no problem with it. In fact, he helped me write what I was going to say that day."

As it now stands, however, Henderson has 468 more stolen bases than Brock. For his career, Henderson has 50% more stolen bases (1,406) than the sport's all-time runner-up (938). Just the difference in the two men's totals would place in the Top 25 on the all-time modern list. The proportional margin is one of the greatest for any career statistical category in professional sport.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 05-22-2007 at 10:24 AM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote