Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-19-2007, 09:19 PM   #251
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I don't mind Versus coverage of the NHL playoffs. I'd never seen it until I moved and got digital cable, but..it's not bad. I enjoy it a lot more than I ever did what ESPN was doing. Of course, I watch TV on mute most of the time. So it's hard to say.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:12 PM   #252
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Y'know, I'm not entirely sure that Calgary couldn't contend for the Eastern Conference title ... except for the geography part I mean.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:33 PM   #253
bbor
Pro Starter

Great pace to the Stars/Nucks game....just f'n great f'n hockey!!

Wooohoo

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:21 PM   #254
Pyser
Pro Rookie

no matter what happens the rest of this game/series, i think Turco has earned another year. he's hasnt been the stars problem at all this postseason.

also, watched the det/cal game 4. that was a great game. very good tempo, good intensity. glad calgary pulled it out, but they needed two 5 on 3s to do it, which doesnt bode particularly well. that and they cant even skate outside their own building.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:50 PM   #255
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Finally, the Stars win an OT game in the playoffs.

Fire Ron Lee.

Last edited by TazFTW : 04-19-2007 at 11:51 PM.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:52 PM   #256
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Too many men on the ice leads to the game-winning PPG. Talk about "Doh!"
Old 04-20-2007, 05:19 AM   #257
Karim
College Starter

Thankfully the effort seems to be back but Calgary is going to have to reinvent itself on the road. I don't know if they can but I can't imagine they'll look as bad as they did in Games 1 and 2.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:05 AM   #258
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

My thoughts from Games 3-4:

The stories:
Kipper is one story.
Home ice is another story.
The Wings' specialty teams is the other story.

The Wings have gone 2 for 25 on the power play in the series and Calgary are around 25%. All but two of the Flames' goals have been on the power play. The Wings' power play has been off all season. On paper it looks amazing, but in execution it just hasn't. At all. The Flames, on the other hand, have executed excellently.

I hope that the difference between games 1-2 and 3-4 was just home ice. The Wings looked very disorganized out there. I hope that has more to do with Calgary's Jekyll and Hyde persona than the Flames finally figuring out how to slow down the Wings' attack (see, e.g., Edmonton last year). The shots in the first two games were 3-1. In the last two games, while the Wings have out shot Calgary, it's been much closer. Zetterberg doesn't have a point in this series. The top line was completely shutdown in the last two games.

My bigger concern, at the moment, is Hasek. I got nervous yesterday when I heard he didn't skate with the team before the game. Apparently he did the optional skate the day before or something, but it was out of his routine. Then he took that ridiculous penalty against Iginla that led to the Flames' first goal. Then he made some comments after the game. Hasek's a flake. He's been known to flake out in the playoffs before and that always means disaster for his club. While he hasn't been horrible, he hasn't been great. Kipper has out played him and that seems to be getting to him too. It's a concern. Indeed, it's my biggest concern until the Wings lose at home.

I guess, at this point, the Wings are either about where I expected them to be or actually a little better (I had the Flames winning in 6). The Wings' really should have won one of the two games in Calgary, especially with Regehr out of the line-up.

Bertuzzi had a solid game, a goal and an assist. I have to admit, I haven't seen him play a ton over his career, but it's quite enjoyable on some level. Before the playoffs two people hurt themselves just trying to hit him. Players just bounce off him like he was made of stone. He's sort of the flipside of Raffi Torres. Torres seem indestructible when making a hit, while Bertuzzi is indestructible when taking one.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:05 AM   #259
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Y'know, I'm not entirely sure that Calgary couldn't contend for the Eastern Conference title ... except for the geography part I mean.

and the having to play half their games on the road part.

amazing to see all those Calgary fans wearing red jerseys. they'd pan to the crowd and 90% of the people had home jerseys on. quite a sight.

I only watched the first two periods, but Hasek didn't look very good out there tonight for much of the game, and he looked downright stupid taking that diving penalty.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:08 AM   #260
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I don't mind Versus coverage of the NHL playoffs. I'd never seen it until I moved and got digital cable, but..it's not bad. I enjoy it a lot more than I ever did what ESPN was doing. Of course, I watch TV on mute most of the time. So it's hard to say.

Versus has improved tremendously since they first started. Not that they could have gotten any worse. I'm not a huge fan of Emerick and I'd pay money not to hear Pierre McGuire pat himself on the back over and over, but the announcing is generally decent enough.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:15 AM   #261
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Bertuzzi had a solid game, a goal and an assist. I have to admit, I haven't seen him play a ton over his career, but it's quite enjoyable on some level. Before the playoffs two people hurt themselves just trying to hit him. Players just bounce off him like he was made of stone. He's sort of the flipside of Raffi Torres. Torres seem indestructible when making a hit, while Bertuzzi is indestructible when taking one.

Bertuzzi has really great hands. Couple that with his size and strength and he should be able to score a zillion goals just parked in front of the net like he did on his goal last night.

I didn't realize he was so young - he just turned 32. I thought he was much closer to the end of his career than that.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:21 AM   #262
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
...I'm not a huge fan of Emerick...
YOU TAKE THAT BACK!
Old 04-20-2007, 07:26 AM   #263
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

ok. he's definitely a MONSTER
Old 04-20-2007, 07:27 AM   #264
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Versus has improved tremendously since they first started. Not that they could have gotten any worse. I'm not a huge fan of Emerick and I'd pay money not to hear Pierre McGuire pat himself on the back over and over, but the announcing is generally decent enough.

Emerick isn't my favorite either, but he's much better than Joe Micheletti. Micheletti just uses too many "cutsey" terms for my liking. He should watch a bunch of CBC-covered games and learn to just call a hockey game.

I always liked Gary Thorne. I am a HUGE fan of Dave Strader too. He's been covering some games for VS. He's the play-by-play guy for the Panthers, but he was the Wings' play-by-play guy through the late 80's/early 90's when I really started to get into hockey. He and Mickey Redmond and Bob Cole and Harry Neale will always be the "voices" of hockey to me.

I would pay good money to see someone whack Pierre McGuire or at least spray him with a water bottle.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-20-2007, 07:28 AM   #265
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
ok. he's definitely a MONSTER

DD's the "Man In The Box"!
Old 04-20-2007, 07:31 AM   #266
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I'm not one for moral victories...but making the playoffs was a feat for the Pens. Nobody expected them to be this good this fast.

Add a top six wing (or 2) and another two-way defensemen, and this team will be back next year.

Fleury didn't play great, but was left out to dry pretty often.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #267
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Emerick isn't my favorite either, but he's much better than Joe Micheletti. Micheletti just uses too many "cutsey" terms for my liking. He should watch a bunch of CBC-covered games and learn to just call a hockey game.

I always liked Gary Thorne. I am a HUGE fan of Dave Strader too. He's been covering some games for VS. He's the play-by-play guy for the Panthers, but he was the Wings' play-by-play guy through the late 80's/early 90's when I really started to get into hockey. He and Mickey Redmond and Bob Cole and Harry Neale will always be the "voices" of hockey to me.

I would pay good money to see someone whack Pierre McGuire or at least spray him with a water bottle.

oh yes, Micheletti is practically unbearable. I too miss Gary Thorne. Jim Hughson (sp?) also needs to be mentioned - he's excellent.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:33 AM   #268
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I'll chip in some money. I cannot stand when he commentates between the glass. I wish he'd get hit in his bald ass head with a puck. For a color guy I like Eddie Olzeck. I think he has good knowledge of the game, but I do feel bad everytime he does a Pens game because the play by play guy always seems to bring up how he got fired by them last year.

Quote:
...I'm not a huge fan of Emerick...

Last year my friends and I had a running joke that Doc Emerick wore women's glasses. I'm not sure if he's changed frames from last year but check it out. He has the thick black glasses with a little white around the outside. Then he had the string that keeps them on his head but instead of a string, it looked like they were pearls...too funny.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 04-20-2007 at 07:36 AM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:36 AM   #269
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
oh yes, Micheletti is practically unbearable. I too miss Gary Thorne. Jim Hughson (sp?) also needs to be mentioned - he's excellent.

Hughson is excellent. I really like him. It took me a while to get used to him though because he was the play-by-play voice for a few EA NHL games. His inflection and tone in the EA game is identical to the way he calls an actual game. It was eerie for a while...

If the Wings can survive Calgary and move on against a non-Canadian team, I will definitely be watching CBC (if no HD is available) if I can.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:36 AM   #270
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
I'll chip in some money. I cannot stand when he commentates between the glass. I wish he'd get hit in his bald ass head with a puck. For a color guy I like Eddie Olzeck. I think he has good knowledge of the game, but I do feel bad everytime he does a Pens game because the play by play guy always seems to bring up how he got fired by them last year.

"Ed, you coached Crosby for the first 20 or 30 games of his career. Did you know he was going to be this good this fast?"
Old 04-20-2007, 07:38 AM   #271
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
amazing to see all those Calgary fans wearing red jerseys. they'd pan to the crowd and 90% of the people had home jerseys on. quite a sight.

Indeed.

The Saddeldome really is impressive. They are a loud, reslient, energetic bunch.

They definitely have an impact on the game. I'm almost positive that at least one call went against the Wings because of the fan reaction. It was a penalty on Scheider (I think, maybe Lang) and the ref didn't raise his arm for a good 4-5 seconds after the "penalty", while the crowd was screaming the entire time.

There was some stat on how many times the Flames were short-handed vs. on the power play at home and away and it was a staggering difference.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:39 AM   #272
Pyser
Pro Rookie

interesting, i actually think emmerick is the best play by play guy ive heard in any sport in a long time. i love the way he calls a game.

the ducks home announcers are quite good, too, i must admit.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:48 AM   #273
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
the ducks home announcers are quite good, too, i must admit.

yes, very good. I'm a big fan of Bryan Hawyard
Old 04-20-2007, 11:07 AM   #274
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Ottawa tried to do that this year. Didn't work out so well. Let's just say that if you didn't already know they were trying it, you wouldn't suspect it from looking at the crowd.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:08 PM   #275
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Sean Hill suspended 20 games for performance enhancing drugs ... ?
Old 04-20-2007, 04:24 PM   #276
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

That was random.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:41 PM   #277
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Apparently the Islanders will have to forfiet the games Hill played in since the drug test. The Sabres/Isles series will be cancelled, and the Leafs/Sabres series will begin tomorrow night.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 04-20-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:37 PM   #278
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Nice throwbacks, Sabres.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:38 PM   #279
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Apparently the Islanders will have to forfiet the games Hill played in since the drug test. The Sabres/Isles series will be cancelled, and the Leafs/Sabres series will begin tomorrow night.

You have pro sports confused with the NCAA or something.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:42 PM   #280
bbor
Pro Starter

TB looks done.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:53 PM   #281
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

25 points this year. how totally unawesome would he be if he was clean?
Old 04-20-2007, 08:28 PM   #282
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
TB looks done.

Glad to hear it. I'm having to watch the NYI/BUF game because it's on Versus. Bleh.

Stupid NHL. Get a national TV contract that lets me watch more than just one game. Though Versus has done a serviceable job with it.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-20-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:31 PM   #283
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

And the Isles are officially done.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #284
bhlloy
Coordinator

Ridiculous save by Ryan Miller with 9 seconds left to keep the Isles out.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:22 PM   #285
RendeR
Coordinator

The Isles were done before this series started. As someone else mentioned, getting in on a wing and a prayer on the last day earned them one win in the playoffs.

Toronto or Montreal would have been far better teams to be in than the Isles.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:45 PM   #286
kingfc22
Head Coach

Damn, screw Nashville and their dirty play. Hopefully the Sharks come out on fire in the 3rd and send these jackasses home.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:26 PM   #287
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I know the Coyotes are terrible, but if anyone ever gets a chance to hear Curt Kielback call a game they should do so. He was always awesome when he worked as the Jets radio guy, and I think he does Coyotes TV now.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:47 AM   #288
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I know the Coyotes are terrible, but if anyone ever gets a chance to hear Curt Kielback call a game they should do so. He was always awesome when he worked as the Jets radio guy, and I think he does Coyotes TV now.

yes. I don't think I could listen to him 82 games out of the year, but he is fun to listen to. and his partner is Darren Pang who, holy jumpin', is good as well.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:04 PM   #289
Pyser
Pro Rookie

classy, calgary.

classy.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:39 PM   #290
Travis
Pro Rookie

I know I'm a bit biased as an Edmonton fan, but that was one of the worst displays I've seen in some time from a team.

I haven't watched any followup, but has anybody talked about McLennan being put in to do just what he did? Seemed awfully convenient the way it played out.

Certainly not the type of play you want casual/new fans of the sport to be watching. I hope Detroit ends this tomorrow.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:45 PM   #291
Karim
College Starter

"Sending a message", "policing themselves", "the code" -- all that shit would be unnecessary if the refs would just do the job.

Detroit wants Iginla suspended. Calgary wants Lebda suspended. McLennan was responding to Franzen's high-stick to his head and will likely be suspended for it. Langkow's punch was responding to Lebda's low bridge.

Whatever happens in terms of suplementary discipline is irrelevant. I blame the garbage on the referres for letting this one get out of control.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:47 PM   #292
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I know I'm a bit biased as an Edmonton fan, but that was one of the worst displays I've seen in some time from a team.

I agree. It was much worse than Edmonton's stellar performance down the stretch.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:17 PM   #293
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Langkow's punch was responding to Lebda's low bridge.

You talking bout that hip check? Seemed pretty subjective. I don't know the rules of a hip check but Lebda seemed to have gotten most of the mid section with that.

People better watch out for Zetterberg. He's hitting his stride at the right time. If and when they make it past this series, he's going to open it up.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:20 PM   #294
Hurst2112
College Starter

Seeing Cleary get the penalty shot was awesome. I think the last time I saw one was the Pens in 97 or 98.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:21 PM   #295
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim View Post
"Sending a message", "policing themselves", "the code" -- all that shit would be unnecessary if the refs would just do the job.

Detroit wants Iginla suspended. Calgary wants Lebda suspended. McLennan was responding to Franzen's high-stick to his head and will likely be suspended for it. Langkow's punch was responding to Lebda's low bridge.

Whatever happens in terms of suplementary discipline is irrelevant. I blame the garbage on the referres for letting this one get out of control.

i dont know. maybe i wasnt paying enough attention, but as an objective viewer, it seemed pretty one sided to me.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:24 PM   #296
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112 View Post
You talking bout that hip check? Seemed pretty subjective. I don't know the rules of a hip check but Lebda seemed to have gotten most of the mid section with that.

Watch Langkow's left knee on the replay. Let's hope Lebda was intending to hip check but that's not what happened.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:26 PM   #297
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
i dont know. maybe i wasnt paying enough attention, but as an objective viewer, it seemed pretty one sided to me.

Lebda's low bridge, Franzen's high stick, Draper's elbow... seemed pretty even to me.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:46 PM   #298
Pyser
Pro Rookie

ill wait for more people not from calgary to check in before i make up my mind

if it was the devils that did that, id defend them too.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:16 PM   #299
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

2 quick penalties by Vancouver and Dallas makes them pay.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:41 PM   #300
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim View Post
Lebda's low bridge, Franzen's high stick, Draper's elbow... seemed pretty even to me.

That doesn't account for short handed goals.

didn't lebda get called for that? did calgary score on the powerplay?

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 04-21-2007 at 07:43 PM.