Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-29-2006, 10:01 AM   #251
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

yeah, ask Ottawa and Detroit fans how important those October wins were to them last season.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:35 AM   #252
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
yeah, ask Ottawa and Detroit fans how important those October wins were to them last season.

DD, given the history to date of the Thrashers franchise, ANY win is cause for varying degrees of celebration.

There's a modest yet possibly realistic goal for this team: make the playoffs.

Coming into the season, that's pretty much it. Make 'em.
Based on pre-season expectations, even getting swept in the first round might not be cause for too much dismay, the overriding goal is simply to make the playoffs for the first time in franchise history. Anything after that is gravy this year.

And it was a series of losing streaks last year that left Atlanta three points short of the playoffs. If they had beaten Montreal on 10/12 last year, they're in. Or Tampa on 10/20 or 10/29. Any one of those October games and the situation would have been different when the season ended.

But they didn't. And that's why there's a GM and a coach both trying to hold onto their jobs this year.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:37 AM   #253
watravaler
High School JV

Well, the Blackhawks are simply cursed, you just had to know their top 3 players would miss a significant amount of time...
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:47 AM   #254
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
A streak that hasn't ended is Malkin's scoring streak. Five games, five goals. Damn. I knew the kid was something special when my wife blurted out the other night, "I want a Malkin jersey." This woman does not normally wear hockey jerseys, but it's all aboard the Malkin bus here in western PA. I think it's pretty cool, but now we have to decide whether I'm paying for her jersey or if she is.

You better not pay for it...the name Malkin is going to look pretty silly on the back of a Devils' jersey.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:45 AM   #255
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

hxxp://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-sppanspec29oct29,0,3045789.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

Quote:
Uniondale, N.Y. · Panthers goalie Alex Auld received stitches over his right eyebrow after he says he slipped on a spilled bottle of water and hit his head on the marble floor of a hotel lobby sometime after 3 a.m. Friday.

Auld was taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital, treated and released, said Austin Guhl, the Panthers' coordinator of team services. Teammate Ed Belfour said he accidentally dropped the bottle.

According to two eyewitnesses at the Garden City Hotel in Long Island, where the Panthers were staying, the incident happened after Belfour became disruptive in a nightclub connected to the hotel, causing a commotion when some teammates, including Auld, tried to get him to leave and go to his room.

One witness at the Posh Ultra Lounge said Belfour, 41, was flailing and fighting off his teammates, who were trying to pull him away while apologizing to the club's employees about Belfour.

In 2000, Belfour pleaded guilty to resisting arrest after scuffling with security guards and police at a Dallas hotel in the early hours of March 8. According to the police report after the Dallas incident, Belfour, loud and appearing intoxicated, spit in one officer's face, kicked two others in the chest, was subdued with pepper spray, and then offered officers money, first $100,000, then $1 billion.

Belfour received a $3,000 fine and 24 months unsupervised probation, requiring him to visit two area high schools to warn students about alcohol use.

Belfour insisted Friday's injury to Auld resulted from nothing more than "just horsing around with each other." At 3:20 a.m., Garden City police responded to a medical emergency, Lt. Michael Doyle said. Guhl said he didn't know who called the police about Auld, who practiced Friday and Saturday.

Asked about the incident Saturday morning, Auld said, "We're going to handle this internally. Everything is fine. I've been out on the ice, so it's no big deal. There's nothing that happened that's of anyone's concern."

"It's a personal matter and I'm not going to discuss it," coach and General Manager Jacques Martin said.

Team captain Olli Jokinen said the "issue" was addressed within the locker room.

"It's between us ... obviously we want to act like professional players outside the rink as well," he said. "Whatever happened there is not going to happen again."

Last edited by Tekneek : 10-29-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:50 AM   #256
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Auld = Class
Belfour = Ass
Old 10-30-2006, 11:49 AM   #257
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

It's official--

Staal will be staying with the Penguins past the 9 game point. So year 1 of his 3-year rookie deal will go into effect.

Kris 'the drink of the French-Canadian astronauts' Letang being returned to Jrs--Pens recently recalled Noah Welch, who many expected to make the team out of camp, and have Brooks Orpik returning from IR as early as tomorrow.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06303/734185-100.stm
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:02 AM   #258
Karim
College Starter

The Flames suck.

That is all.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:19 AM   #259
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
hxxp://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-sppanspec29oct29,0,3045789.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

Word is when Auld fell, he went into the butterfly and swatted the water bottle away.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:29 AM   #260
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I can't believe I watched almost all of that Chicago-Philadelphia game last night.I know Chicago's had injury issues, but goodness, they look terrible. I already know how bad Philadelphia is, and Chicago made the Flyers look great. Forsberg made some nice moves to score his two goals, but on both occasions, the puck looked like it slid into the net by accident. Of Philadelphia's three goals (one was an empty-netter), I don't think any of them went faster than 10 MPH.

There were other choices last night, and I watched that honker. Even worse, I'll probably watch Chicago play the Islanders tonight just to see if the Blackhawks score a goal. It's now been 205 minutes since they last scored. Good grief.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:35 AM   #261
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Martin Havlat and Michael Handzus do not a franchise make...
Old 10-31-2006, 12:30 PM   #262
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Washington places Rico Fata on waivers...PLEASE Pittsburgh, grab him now...you never should have let him go in the first place!
Old 10-31-2006, 03:41 PM   #263
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
I can't believe I watched almost all of that Chicago-Philadelphia game last night.I know Chicago's had injury issues, but goodness, they look terrible. I already know how bad Philadelphia is, and Chicago made the Flyers look great. Forsberg made some nice moves to score his two goals, but on both occasions, the puck looked like it slid into the net by accident. Of Philadelphia's three goals (one was an empty-netter), I don't think any of them went faster than 10 MPH.

There were other choices last night, and I watched that honker. Even worse, I'll probably watch Chicago play the Islanders tonight just to see if the Blackhawks score a goal. It's now been 205 minutes since they last scored. Good grief.

Hope you root for the Isles! Hoping we can get above .500 on the season!
Old 10-31-2006, 03:55 PM   #264
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post

I know I will be! I have DiPietro in a fantasy league and really need him to start performing. A shutout would be fantastic.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:12 PM   #265
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I know I will be! I have DiPietro in a fantasy league and really need him to start performing. A shutout would be fantastic.

Rare is the night when the Isles are one of the few games on TV.

Will you be watching the game?

If so and you bring us some good karma, I might reconsider my position on Stevie Y.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:16 PM   #266
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Until last season, it was kinda hard for me to root for any Atlantic Division teams besides New Jersey, but since I'm warming up to Pittsburgh, I guess I can give the Gorton's Fishermen some love, too. Just don't ever ask me to cheer for the Rangers or Flyers, and we're cool.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:38 PM   #267
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Rare is the night when the Isles are one of the few games on TV.

Will you be watching the game?

If so and you bring us some good karma, I might reconsider my position on Stevie Y.

I'll be watching. (Edit: Though if they are wearing those horrible orange uniforms, I am not sure how long my eyes will be able to stand the pain...)

So when you say you might be reconsidering your position on Stevie Y, I assume that means changing your opinion from "he's one of the greatest players to ever play the game" to "he's one of the greatest athletes ever in the history of sports." Well done!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 10-31-2006 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:49 PM   #268
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'll be watching. (Edit: Though if they are wearing those horrible orange uniforms, I am not sure how long my eyes will be able to stand the pain...)

So when you say you might be reconsidering your position on Stevie Y, I assume that means changing your opinion from "he's one of the greatest players to ever play the game" to "he's one of the greatest athletes ever in the history of sports." Well done!

Thankfully they only wear the orange uni's for Saturday home games!
Old 10-31-2006, 08:55 PM   #269
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

How about dem Isles!

Guess I'll have to keep my word and adjust my position on Steve Y.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:04 PM   #270
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
How about dem Isles!

Guess I'll have to keep my word and adjust my position on Steve Y.

Well done.

That was a pretty goal on the Kozlov breakaway. It's really a shame that he doesn't do that sort of thing more often. He has the size and appears to have the skill...
Old 10-31-2006, 10:53 PM   #271
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well done.

That was a pretty goal on the Kozlov breakaway. It's really a shame that he doesn't do that sort of thing more often. He has the size and appears to have the skill...

Pretty?! Didn't that one slip off his stick before he could even finish his move?

But he has been playing well this year. We'll see how long it lasts. I don' have my fingers crossed. Yashin in particular is playing much better. Maybe not worth his contract, but at this point I would rather have Yashin at $10mil than nobody at $0 (which is what would happen if Wang dumped Yashin).
Old 11-01-2006, 07:37 AM   #272
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I didn't get to see any of the game last night because my wife took over the TV in the computer room. So I chose the computer instead of the bedroom TV. I see that the Islanders allowed two goals to the Blackhawks, though, so the Isles must be the worst team in the NHL.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:06 PM   #273
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

The Canes have struggled against just about everybody except, oddly enough, Atlanta, whom they beat yet again, 5-2 on the road. This in spite of apparently spending half the game in the penalty box. Ward finally had a superb game in goal with 40 save on 42 shots. Canes finally get over the .500 hump, but are still down five points to Atlanta. However, they have control of the season series, so that will prove useful if the two teams are the ones that will ultimately contest the SE crown.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 06:28 AM   #274
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
The Canes have struggled against just about everybody except, oddly enough, Atlanta, whom they beat yet again, 5-2 on the road. This in spite of apparently spending half the game in the penalty box. Ward finally had a superb game in goal with 40 save on 42 shots. Canes finally get over the .500 hump, but are still down five points to Atlanta. However, they have control of the season series, so that will prove useful if the two teams are the ones that will ultimately contest the SE crown.

Hossa had 16 shots
Old 11-02-2006, 07:16 AM   #275
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Pens win 5th in a row, beating LA in OT.

Malkin scores 2, Staal scores once.

With those goals, Malkin scores in his first 6 NHL games, the first player to do so since 1917-1918, the first season in the NHL..
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06306/735068-61.stm
Quote:
The all-time record was set in 1917 -- the first year of the NHL and the year of the Russian Revolution in Malkin's home country.

On this side of the world that winter, Montreal's Joe Malone had a goal in each of his first 14 games, Ottawa's Cy Denneny scored in each of his first 12 games, and Montreal's Newsy Lalonde's streak was eight games.

When you start tying records set by guys named Newsy, it has been awhile!
Old 11-02-2006, 07:46 AM   #276
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
When you start tying records set by guys named Newsy, it has been awhile!

According to the baby names site, Newsy- not a popular one. Never in the top 1000

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:52 AM   #277
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
According to the baby names site, Newsy- not a popular one. Never in the top 1000

SI

When our son was born in September, I tried to talk my wife into it...you know, try and put Newsy back on the map as far as hip names.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 11-02-2006 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:33 AM   #278
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Seven goals in six games. Absolutely incredible stuff.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:36 AM   #279
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Stars continue to roll on...I wish I had time to watch a friggin' game.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:41 AM   #280
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Seven goals in six games. Absolutely incredible stuff.

And you were there when he scored his first!
Old 11-02-2006, 08:46 AM   #281
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
And you were there when he scored his first!
Hey, that's right! When this guy is a bonafide superstar in 5 years playing for New Jersey, I can say that I was there when he scored the first of his 2500 goals.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:52 AM   #282
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

4 of the 6 division leaders right now are 90's-era expansion teams.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:24 AM   #283
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
4 of the 6 division leaders right now are 90's-era expansion teams.
So the Western Conference is a piece of shit. How is this news?
Old 11-02-2006, 09:54 AM   #284
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
So the Western Conference is a piece of shit. How is this news?

Old 11-02-2006, 10:25 AM   #285
bbor
Pro Starter

The Lafs win a stinker in TB.4-2

They play in Florida tonight vs Eddie B.....should be fun!

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:18 AM   #286
Karim
College Starter

So Avs fans, was Tanguay's production completely a result of playing with Forsberg, Sakic and Hejduk?

It seems like he's feeling the pressure of playing in a Canadian city. He told the media that he thought Colorado was a hockey city but now realizes it pails in comparison. He couldn't believe the amount of media and interview requests during pre-season, let alone the travelling circus now. His every moved is scrutinized and dissected. If he thinks Calgary is bad, good thing he isn't playing for Montreal or Toronto. He wanted to be the man, he's getting paid like the man, but he's yet to show up. And the system is not an excuse; Iginla is managing just fine. If he doesn't show up, this will be a $15.75 million albatross for the next three years.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:52 AM   #287
klayman
College Benchwarmer

I think the problem with the Flames (other than they suck) is Dion. The guy's horrible. You go to the Stanley Cup finals and then he becomes a regular and you guys can't win anything. He's clearly to blame. You should trade him as soon as possible for a 3rd round draft pick before his value drops even more.

I think the Oilers have a 3rd round pick to offer.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:09 AM   #288
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Oilers and Flames do not trade with each other. A third team will have to be involved to skim a little off the deal so the two can get together on that.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:54 AM   #289
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim View Post
So Avs fans, was Tanguay's production completely a result of playing with Forsberg, Sakic and Hejduk?

It seems like he's feeling the pressure of playing in a Canadian city. He told the media that he thought Colorado was a hockey city but now realizes it pails in comparison. He couldn't believe the amount of media and interview requests during pre-season, let alone the travelling circus now. His every moved is scrutinized and dissected. If he thinks Calgary is bad, good thing he isn't playing for Montreal or Toronto. He wanted to be the man, he's getting paid like the man, but he's yet to show up. And the system is not an excuse; Iginla is managing just fine. If he doesn't show up, this will be a $15.75 million albatross for the next three years.

He's just not that type of system player. He never has been. He's always been the kind of guy who liked to do the flashy stuff on offense - receiving the homerun pass, dropping the puck off to a trailer. He's usually good for at least two "wow" plays a game, along with at least one "bonehead" turnover by trying too hard.

He did have some success for a while last season working with McLean and Laperriere in the Avs forechecking, cycle behind the net game, but his best play is always on the upscale stuff - odd man rushes and the like.

He really should have known better about the pressure. Brisebois and Theodore both came to Colorado last year, and LOVED being out of the spotlight.

He'll come around - he'll probably end up in the 60-70 point range. But there's going to be some bumpy patches. I think what you alluded to is correct - I don't believe he's the kind of player to build an offense around, but would be a nice addition to a club where he doesn't have to be "the" guy. With the additional pressure of a very disciplined system, Calgary is not really the ideal fit for him. Put him on Atlanta or Ottawa or Pittsburgh or something and he'd probably put up 100 points.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:14 AM   #290
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:

The trend continues as the Canes go down, 4-0, at home to Montreal. Ward was impervious against Atlanta, but not so much against the Habs. I think we're seeing what would have been last year had Carolina not hit that stretch of nine wins at the start of last year that got the team on a roll and got everyone's confidence up. Then again, we're still without Stillman and Kaberle for a while yet, so maybe they'll get it all worked out for the good by the time those guys get back. I hope.

On a side note, it seems like Carolina's played a bunch of back-to-back nights already this year (four or five). Are other teams having to do this as much?
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:38 AM   #291
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
On a side note, it seems like Carolina's played a bunch of back-to-back nights already this year (four or five). Are other teams having to do this as much?

Colorado just finished their 3rd pair of back to backs, all with travel between games. The played the Blues in St Louis, who had played in Dallas the previous evening (and didn't that make for an exhilerating game!). they only have one more pair of b2b's - in March.

odd schedule
Old 11-03-2006, 09:53 PM   #292
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
The trend continues as the Canes go down, 4-0, at home to Montreal. Ward was impervious against Atlanta, but not so much against the Habs. I think we're seeing what would have been last year had Carolina not hit that stretch of nine wins at the start of last year that got the team on a roll and got everyone's confidence up. Then again, we're still without Stillman and Kaberle for a while yet, so maybe they'll get it all worked out for the good by the time those guys get back. I hope.

Weird how some teams get stuck with B2B's. The Isles almost NEVER play back-to-back.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:04 AM   #293
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
And the Stars win again. 11-2 to start the season! I didn't realize it, but Turco is only 16 wins behind Belfour for the all time team lead in wins. Unfortunately that's regular season. He's still way behind the Eagle in playoff wins and billion dollar bribe offers to cops.

Also, the game had a bizarre ending. An apparent game tying goal by Edmonton goal with about 5 seconds remaining was disallowed due to a hand pass.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 11-04-2006 at 12:06 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:20 AM   #294
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Ducks win again, too. How about that Pacific, eh? They still haven't been beaten in regulation.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:55 AM   #295
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
And the Stars win again. 11-2 to start the season! I didn't realize it, but Turco is only 16 wins behind Belfour for the all time team lead in wins. Unfortunately that's regular season. He's still way behind the Eagle in playoff wins and billion dollar bribe offers to cops.

Also, the game had a bizarre ending. An apparent game tying goal by Edmonton goal with about 5 seconds remaining was disallowed due to a hand pass.

The was a horrible call. Horrible. They blew that 100%. There was no hand pass on that play. I'm not one to usually blame the refs for losses (and I'm neither an Oiler or Stars fan), but between that goal and Lindros' interference on the first goal, the Oilers have every right to bitch about that one. They were robbed, Pac-10 style.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:19 AM   #296
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Oilers were definitely robbed. That non-goal at the end should have been the winning goal, since the first Stars goal should not have counted. The league should be embarassed, explain this, and answer questions as to why they don't have rules in place to make sure they get it right. There is absolutely no reason that everyone watching TV should know the call was wrong on the ice and there be no way to fix it. It is 2006. We have the technology.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:44 AM   #297
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Please please please no instant replay!

At first I liked it in all sports, but now it's taking over the game. I'll live with a blown game or two per season if it means we keep stupid replay-timeouts out of the game!
Old 11-04-2006, 11:16 AM   #298
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=182889&hubname=

Quote:
Upon further reflection, McGeough agreed.

"It was a blown call on my part," he said after the game. "It was poor judgment on my part. I thought he had his hand on the puck on the face-off but it was his stick. My judgment was poor on the play."

Now Mick McGeough has told the media that he blew the call. I love his honesty, but I wish the league would back it up with something meaningful. Unfortunately, the only change may be that nobody will be allowed to speak to the media about controversial calls.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:25 PM   #299
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Boston Bruins: The Bruins have assigned goaltender Hannu Toivonen to the minors. No goalie has been recalled, prompting speculation that Boston is close to acquiring netminder Evgeni Nabokov from the San Jose Sharks. - TSN
Old 11-07-2006, 01:39 PM   #300
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Boston Bruins: The Bruins have assigned goaltender Hannu Toivonen to the minors. No goalie has been recalled, prompting speculation that Boston is close to acquiring netminder Evgeni Nabokov from the San Jose Sharks. - TSN

For who? The Sharks wanted Jovo from the Coyotes... who could the Bruins give up to meet that?
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote