Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-26-2006, 06:19 PM   #251
primelord
Pro Rookie

So should they just give Pujols the MVP again now?
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:25 PM   #252
JeeberD
General Manager

Nah, I think it's Morgan Ensberg's turn...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:30 PM   #253
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Nah, I think it's Morgan Ensberg's turn...

Put him in a real ball park and maybe there is some discussion there. Although even playing in that ridiculous stadium his numbers aren't as good.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:22 PM   #254
JeeberD
General Manager

Such a ridiculous argument. It's amazing how dominant our starting pitching has been in that "joke of a ballpark". If it's so easy to put up big numbers there then why aren't the teams we're playing doing it?

Last edited by JeeberD : 04-26-2006 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:12 PM   #255
JeeberD
General Manager

Wandy Rodriguez joins the 4-0 club!

Old 04-26-2006, 10:43 PM   #256
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Such a ridiculous argument. It's amazing how dominant our starting pitching has been in that "joke of a ballpark". If it's so easy to put up big numbers there then why aren't the teams we're playing doing it?

Because guys like Oswalt, Clemens and Pettite are FANTASTIC pitchers. They would put up dominating numbers in ANY ballpark.

It's not a ridiculous argument at all. I am not saying that the ballpark gives the Astros some unfair advantage in a game. Both teams have to play in the park. However when you are complaring numbers for an MVP discussion it is absolutely a valid argument. Bill James had Minute Maid rated as the 2nd easiest park for a right handed batter to hit a home run. Busch stadium on the other hand was the 2nd most difficult park for a right hander to hit a home run in. Obviously time will tell on the new stadium, but my point is not all home runs are created equal.

Using the fact that you have/had one of the best starting staffs in baseball as your evidence that the ballpark isn't a joke is the ridiculous argument. Last year Oswalt gave up twide as many home runs at home as he did on the road and he had 1 more start on the road than he did at home. Backe also averaged more home runs per start at home than on the road. Clemens and Pettite were about even, both were a little better at home.

So yes I say the left field porch is a joke. If it wasn't why in the home run derby would Berkman have switched to the right side of the plate despite the fact he has far more power left handed? So you will just have to forgive me when I don't consider Ensberg's numbers at all as impressive as Pujols'. 7 of Ensberg's 9 home runs have come at home. Granted he has had far more at home at bats this year, but even on averages he is hitting a home run every 7.5 at bats at home and every 9 at bats on the road. Last year Ensberg hit a home run every 12.45 at bats at home and every 17.31 at bats on the road. So I do think Minute Maid is inflating his power numbers quite a bit.

I am at a loss as to why people don't acceot their ballparks for what they are. Do you really think those to wrist flick home runs Berkman hit into left last year go out of any other ball park? Again I am not saying the Braves or Cardinals got robbed as both teams had the same fence, but is that what you really want to see? 320 foot pop flys going out for home runs?
Old 04-27-2006, 12:00 AM   #257
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Wandy Rodriguez joins the 4-0 club!

Great FA pickup for my fantasy team.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:02 AM   #258
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Great FA pickup for my fantasy team.

Same.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:26 AM   #259
Butter
Coordinator

Bronson Arroyo dominated the Nats yesterday, the Reds pick up win #15 and pitch a one-hitter doing it. But the Astros and Cards are coming to town... be interesting to see if the Reds can draw a crowd for once.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:50 AM   #260
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord
essay

Bah, research. Who needs it?..

Old 04-27-2006, 08:53 AM   #261
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

What's the most current thinking on Clemens, by the way?
Old 04-27-2006, 09:16 AM   #262
JeeberD
General Manager

There was some teaser on ESPN.com that he was itching to come back and play already, but it was an Insider article so I couldn't read it. But you have got to think that as well as we've started the season and as hot as our bats have been have got to bode well for our chances of bringing him back to Houston.

I also heard somewhere a little while back that the Astros feel pretty confident that he'll be back in Houston...

Old 04-27-2006, 09:18 AM   #263
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
What's the most current thinking on Clemens, by the way?

Still a douchebag.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:11 PM   #264
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
Still a douchebag.

Ayup...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:45 PM   #265
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Bronson Arroyo dominated the Nats yesterday, the Reds pick up win #15 and pitch a one-hitter doing it. But the Astros and Cards are coming to town... be interesting to see if the Reds can draw a crowd for once.

Too early for the Reds to draw a big crowd. They need to be doing this well in August before the people around here really start paying attention.
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:57 PM   #266
Tyrith
College Starter

It really sounds like Clemens is going to come back to whichever team gives him the most money, unless the Astros step up and offer 3 or 4 million dollars a month off the bat and get him before the bidding war really catches on fire.
Tyrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:11 PM   #267
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Greg Maddux notches win number 5 today against the Brewers. Everyone in the central seems to be on a roll right now so I'm just hoping we can keep pace for now until D. Lee comes back, unlikely though.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:44 PM   #268
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts
The showed clips of Omar signing his book before the game. Mesa probably heard about it. Hell, he hit the guy in the back, clearly intentional. Wasn't ejected or anything, but it lead to several beanings the next day, including Omar (who was pinch hitting), by lefty Ray King.

I'm surprised MLB hasn't suspended or fined Mesa for it.

Mesa suspended 4 games for throwing at Vizquel; Morris, Righetti fined
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:21 PM   #269
JS19
College Prospect

Pedro joins Maddux at 5-0. Mets down the Braves, have a 6 game lead already. Looks like the bats are starting to get going again, Wright had 2 solo shots, Wagner hasn't exactly been lights out so far this yr as he loaded the bases in the 9th.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:25 PM   #270
Fouts
College Starter

Mets thread is over there ------>
Old 04-29-2006, 08:27 AM   #271
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729
Too early for the Reds to draw a big crowd. They need to be doing this well in August before the people around here really start paying attention.

Well the fans have started to prove me wrong. Today's Reds game has apparently sold out.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:11 PM   #272
JS19
College Prospect

Well, today is the day Clemens can re-sign with Houston is he so chooses, I haven't heard much here, any rumors over in Houston on what he plns on doing?
Old 05-01-2006, 01:14 PM   #273
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729
Well the fans have started to prove me wrong. Today's Reds game has apparently sold out.

Not quite... but they did get good crowds of over 30k on Friday, and 25k+ on Saturday... Sunday's game in light rain/gloom still drew over 22k, which is pretty good.

Not a bad turnout overall. There are sure to be a gaggle of vociferous Cards fans there the next 2 days.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:45 PM   #274
Fouts
College Starter

SD traded Doug Mirabelli (Wakefield's personal catcher) back to Boston for a couple players today. What's funny is Mirabelli predicted he would be back on the Sox before May 15th.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:00 PM   #275
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts
SD traded Doug Mirabelli (Wakefield's personal catcher) back to Boston for a couple players today. What's funny is Mirabelli predicted he would be back on the Sox before May 15th.

so what it boils down to

Josh Bard, Cla Merrideth, and 100k for Loretta
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:26 AM   #276
Butter
Coordinator

So, Reds fans, the team is guaranteed a share of first after the St. Louis mini-series, with a pretty easy schedule to go the rest of May. Can the team keep up their pace? Or are we destined for another disappointing August and September?
Old 05-02-2006, 02:13 PM   #277
Butter
Coordinator

Guess nobody cares. Reds just took 4 of 5 at home from Houston and St. Louis, and will take at least a 1.5 game lead to Colorado with them tomorrow night.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:29 PM   #278
JS19
College Prospect

They showed the 9th inning on ESPN after the Indians game....why exactly is it that Larussa didn't walk that guy to load the bases??
Old 05-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #279
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19
They showed the 9th inning on ESPN after the Indians game....why exactly is it that Larussa didn't walk that guy to load the bases??

Because he is the greatest manager in the history of the world. Nobody questions the Larussa.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:32 PM   #280
hoosiergoody
Mascot

Cincinnati fans are too fickle. They will wait until August to see if this team is for real before going to the games. Glad they are doing good and proving most wrong. Been a Reds' fan since I was 5 and proud of it. I get too annoyed at the bandwagon fans we have here. You'd think that those fans that have persisted with the Bungles would have done the same with the Reds, especially since the Reds have had a better go of it.

BTW- The Reds have the best record in baseball right now!
hoosiergoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:45 PM   #281
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Check back in June. Arroyo has been a Godsend since the Reds have one of the worst pitching staffs in the majors. Best case is they turn into the NL version of the Rangers (one of the versions that made the playoffs with league average pitching). Worst case they end up 70-92 if/when their bats stop hitting for any extended length of time and their pitchers go back to sucking.

They do have a sick offense though, even when Griffey is injured.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:46 PM   #282
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Because he is the greatest manager in the history of the world. Nobody questions the Larussa.
And nobody ever should
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:49 PM   #283
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

I'm glad the Reds are doing well, especially with Griffey out of the lineup, but doubt that we will remain on this pace unless we improve the pitching a little. It was nice to see the Reds were able to win the close one today.

If I have a chance I'll probably go to a few games this season.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:49 PM   #284
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:

Whoops, my mistake.

I don't claim to know all that much about the Reds, just that they have a pretty good lineup. Now i'm not trying to put them down and such, but do you guys really think the Reds have the pitching it takes to keep this team competetive?
Old 05-02-2006, 02:52 PM   #285
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Pujols, Edmonds, and Rolen all start on the bench today though Edmonds comes in to pinch hit. The cards lineup isn't all that strong this year with those three guys and it looks pretty terrible without those guys. The reds certainly are playing good ball right now but I think they will cool off. Still some excellent moves by their new GM who should seriously get some consideration for Exec. of the year if they finish above .500. Long term, Baseball America still hates their farm system so they will have some work to do in a division that could be very interesting in the next few year. But at least there is some hope in Cincy unlike what is going on with the pirates or royals.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:57 PM   #286
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

dola

Staying in the central the cubs might be the least patient team in MLB history without Lee in their lineup. And could Prince Fielder become the next Pujols? He is 21 and already playing like an all star.

Last edited by dixieflatline : 05-02-2006 at 02:58 PM.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:59 PM   #287
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Whoops, my mistake.

I don't claim to know all that much about the Reds, just that they have a pretty good lineup. Now i'm not trying to put them down and such, but do you guys really think the Reds have the pitching it takes to keep this team competetive?

Arroyo won't keep it up, but Harang and Milton have both been pitching well, and Paul Wilson is due back later this month. They may not need the high-quality pitching the other teams get anyway, because their lineup makes it ok to let in 5-6 runs on occasion.

But I do think they'll have trouble staying in front of the Cards and Astros all season. If they bring Ryan Wagner back up and he starts throwing like he can, they'll have a pretty good bullpen.... but it is indeed the starting pitching that will ultimately let them down, if anything does.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:01 PM   #288
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Whoops, my mistake.

In some divisions yes, but not the central. Its the best division in baseball right now
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:16 PM   #289
Bad-example
College Starter

Mike Matheny just made a fantastic play next to the Brewer dugout. Caught the ball against the dugout railing and then flipped over the rail. Outstanding!
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:30 PM   #290
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example
Mike Matheny just made a fantastic play next to the Brewer dugout. Caught the ball against the dugout railing and then flipped over the rail. Outstanding!

Yes, incredible play.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:30 PM   #291
JS19
College Prospect

Looks like that tsunami warning shoulda been set for Shea Stadium. Been raining hard and heavy since the 3rd and they are in the 8th now, i've never seen them keep a game going this long considering the conditions.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:51 PM   #292
JS19
College Prospect

Wow. Out of all the games Wagner could possibly blow, this has gotta be the worst, not only is it the Pirates but it's a cold and VERY wet night that i'm sure everyone was waiting to just end.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:51 PM   #293
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And it preventing Pedro from getting the win.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:57 PM   #294
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Jason Schmidt - please be back!

Thanks,
Giants fans who want to finish above .500
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:49 AM   #295
JeeberD
General Manager

Hooray for the Rockies!

Old 05-06-2006, 12:07 AM   #296
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Hooray for the Rockies!

I bet you weren't saying that tonight!
Old 05-06-2006, 12:43 AM   #297
JeeberD
General Manager

Yeah

Old 05-06-2006, 12:29 PM   #298
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Skydog, Jon, and I are about to be signed as relievers for the Atlanta Braves. The announcement should be coming shortly.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:28 PM   #299
Buccaneer
Head Coach

The Pads are doing it again this May. So far they are undefeated after sweeping the Cubs. Last season, they won 22 games in May to propel them to the division title. But this season, both Arizona and Colorado are winning as well. Too bad the Pads think April is just an extension to spring training.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:36 PM   #300
JS19
College Prospect

Whatever happened to all those young arms that were supposed to be the saviors for the Padres. I could very well be mistaken, but I thought it was just a few years ago they had plethora of young arms that seemed to be solid guys.