Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-26-2005, 10:07 PM   #251
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshipman2
I'm done with this thread...everyone here needs to really grow up. It is sad that some of you have nothing better to do than come up with wise cracks to make guys feel worse than what they already do. I'm done with the FOF forums all together.

Does this mean you will accept a banning?
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:15 PM   #252
miketager
n00b

Hey guys,

First, I think your forums are really well done, and I appreciate the variety of threads in your discussions.

I am a part of the PFL. It has been enjoyable to be a part of it.

In the end, it doesn't matter if one leagues stuff is posted on another leagues site. If anything, it gave me a reason to come here, and I have enjoyed reading the posts on other topics. (I am a big Civ fan)

As far as this topic goes....

Rhetoric is the arguement of the unthinking.... and I think a lot of this has been continuing because of rhetoric.

Nobody has been forced out of the league. The player who left is a great gm, who has been active, and a great competitor. I regret his decision, but I respect his reasons, and hope to play against him again.

As far as the shadyness... I think it is mostly perception.

Rulings cannot be made in reaction. The best governments(U.S. Gov. is a great example) make decisions slowly, with thought, not knee-jerk.

I think that is what has happened in our league.

I admit, we could have burned the offending GM for being a witch, because he weighed as much as a duck, but sometimes a little more fact-finding and deliberation is needed.

We held a meeting via chat. I missed much of it, but was in agreement with the ruling. Maybe it is considered a weak decision. Opinions are about as expensive as something that really isn't expensive.

Anyway, taxes will happen, people will argue, and my wife will always call me back after I have left the room, eventhough we have been sitting next to each other on the couch for the previous half-hour.
miketager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:28 PM   #253
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm done with this thread...everyone here needs to really grow up. It is sad that some of you have nothing better to do than come up with wise cracks to make guys feel worse than what they already do. I'm done with the FOF forums all together.

How will we ever survive
(0.54 posts per day)
Old 10-26-2005, 10:29 PM   #254
Play2Win
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Does this mean you will accept a banning?

i agree with Justin 100%
i dont know if he wants to be banned...but i surely do

Please Delete my account on this site
i wont ever waste my time here again
6 pages of posts about this...SIX!!!
and what are most of them filled with?
wisecracks and personal attacks

who ever runs this site...ought to consider that THIS site could also end up losing members and looking bad from the way ITS members act

maybe the people at solecismic software would be interested in what people are doing with their games good name...
this cant be what they had in mind when they produced it
Play2Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:31 PM   #255
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2Win

Never had a doubt in the beginning
Never a doubt
Trusted you true in the beginning
I loved you right through

On and on we laughed like kids
At all the silly things we did

You made me promises, promises
Knowing I'd believe
Promises, promises
You knew you'd never keep

Second time around, I'm still believing
The words that you said
You said you'd always be here
And love forever still repeats in my head

You can't finish what you start
If this is love it breaks my heart

Promises, promises
Why do I believe?

On and on we laughed like kids
At all the silly things we did
But you can't finish what you start
If this is love it breaks my heart

Promises, promises
Why do I believe
All of your promises
Promises, promises
Why do I believe?

Promises
Promises
Promises
Promises
Promises
Old 10-26-2005, 10:34 PM   #256
SnowMan
High School Varsity

You mean Jim should be upset about people cheating in MP leagues? At least SOMEONE would be...
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:39 PM   #257
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMan
You mean Jim should be upset about people cheating in MP leagues? At least SOMEONE would be...
I really hope so. Maybe we will get some form of Password Protection in his next game.
WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:40 PM   #258
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
i agree with Justin 100%

who ever runs this site...ought to consider that THIS site could also end up losing members and looking bad from the way ITS members act

maybe the people at solecismic software would be interested in what people are doing with their games good name...

Don't get so bent out of shape. Lame attempts at humor are the bread and butter of this board. That and political sniping.

And trout.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:41 PM   #259
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:

Here's a screwdriver. No, not that way. Clockwise.

Last edited by sovereignstar : 10-26-2005 at 10:41 PM.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:41 PM   #260
Easy Mac

This thread has had far more legs than I anticipated when I first laid eyes on it. Proof enough we're dying without a new game.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:43 PM   #261
monte_mcguire
n00b

Quote:
i agree with Justin 100%

Just an observation from an Ex-PFL GM
Play2win are you just upset because you can't delete this thread?
also PFL is keeping a cheater in the "Games good name"
monte_mcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:43 PM   #262
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 12 (12 members and 0 guests)
JonInMiddleGA, Bad-example, Clown2, digamma, Eaglesfan27, Grundy, miketager, monte_mcguire, Neuqua, Play2Win, Pumpy Tudors, vtbub

Old 10-26-2005, 10:45 PM   #263
Easy Mac

Jon broke out the crazy eyes... he must have seen the latest billboard charts.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:46 PM   #264
monte_mcguire
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 12 (12 members and 0 guests)
JonInMiddleGA, Bad-example, Clown2, digamma, Eaglesfan27, Grundy, miketager, monte_mcguire, Neuqua, Play2Win, Pumpy Tudors, vtbub

Are you sure he's still logged in? Because play said he was done with this site...
monte_mcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:48 PM   #265
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte_mcguire
Are you sure he's still logged in? Because play said he was done with this site...

Probably some sort of technical glitch, because I'm certain the paragon of virtue wouldn't lie to us or anything unseemly like that.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:11 PM   #266
JimKizer
Banned

This guy is SMART

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
This thread has possibilities.

Yesterday, 11:26 AM #85
ardent enthusiast
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC23
This is a very dramatic thread.

I told you this thread had possibilities.
JimKizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:40 PM   #267
thrym
Mascot

"I did not have sex with that woman...Ms. Lewinski!"
-- a President

And we wonder HOW could cheating in a GAME be so easily justified and excused! Makes me glad I only play with myself...I mean...wait...
Old 10-26-2005, 11:43 PM   #268
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Hey, White Sox won. Cool.

Wait, where am I?
Old 10-27-2005, 01:26 AM   #269
thesloppy
Pro Starter

This thread just makes me think it's a damn good thing the single player AI doesn't have access to the internet because I've been giving that mongoloid a sloppy rimjob for something like 5 years straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOF AI
Dear FOFC, there's a GM in my league who trades away all his high priced players for multiple first round picks every year, he always has 20 picks in the draft, and I can't seem to pry a decent player away from him no matter how many awesome centers or fullbacks I offer. Also he seems to start every season with more than 20 players on his roster, so I know he must be cheating.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 02:32 AM   #270
Nwobhm
Mascot

From the PFL board.. excerpt of raider1's latest statement:

"Effective today I will be leaving my post as Assistant Commissioner, as well as my post on the Rules Committee. My actions were never intended to cheat, gain an upper hand, or hurt the league in anyway. My mistake was not allowing these players the opportunity to sign with anyone else, however, when I released them I honestly did not expect them to sign so quickly. I will abide by the penalty that has been given to me by the league and begin to move forward starting with tonights file. I have already released the three players in question during last nights file."

As discussed earlier in this thread, he had used the release/resign before in the eNFL with committee approval. It's hard to believe that he would expect the tactic to behave any differently in the PFL, when he's already tried it out in another MP league. He must have known there was a damn good chance they'd resign right away.

Last edited by Nwobhm : 10-27-2005 at 02:35 AM.
Nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 02:55 AM   #271
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwobhm
My actions were never intended to cheat, gain an upper hand, or hurt the league in anyway. My mistake was not allowing these players the opportunity to sign with anyone else, however, when I released them I honestly did not expect them to sign so quickly.

The first question that pops into my mind is "Then why did he do it?" To be a nice guy and let everyone else have a shot at signing his last three draft picks? Why would he cut all three of his last draft picks, then immediately put in bids to resign them if he knew that the other owners would be able to bid on them as well. What is the point?

Also, I thought he did the same thing two years in a row. The second time, did he just forget the previous year, or has it been established that he only did this one time?
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:04 AM   #272
MrKordell
n00b

He did it twice. And as a member of PFL I have to say the more this goes on, the more I am disgusted with the entire situation. The fact that the commish is so tollerant of Raider1's obvious cheating, yet so intollerant of Clown's open discussion of the topic is incredible.

NOTHING Clown did was wrong. On two seperate occasions the commish was informed some sort of cheating was going on. And on two seperate occasions he decided it wasn't worth his time. He had a chance to put an end to this before it got as big as it is, but he chose not to. So now its public knowledge, and there is only one person to blame for that: the commish himself.

The cheat was bad, the attempted "coverup" was worse. Trying to make Clown out to be a villian early on was appauling. I don't have a problem with the commish's punishment to Raider1. Their friends, of course he's not going to kick him out. Fine, I can deal with that. But what I can't deal with is the childish acts following the incident going public. If he wants someone to blame for it going public, or the reaction of this thread, he should blame himself.

The truth of the matter is this, there should be zero tolerance for cheating. Especially just weeks after the G-Mac fiasco. And if I were the one caught cheating, I'd be booted like it was nothing. So Raider1 gets special treatment, and I can deal with that. But thats the extent of my patience with this situation. I'm withdrawing from the PFL, and I'd reccommend that everyone stay far away from the league.
MrKordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:34 AM   #273
NickSaban
n00b

Quick comment in defense of JShipman. He didn't lock the discussion thread, I did. I did it so he could get some time to look over the issue, because I could tell it was quickly spiraling out of control. I don't live on these boards like some of you apparently do (I visit once every few weeks, usually looking for strategy), and am surprised at the reaction it got over here. As a mod, I made a judgement call to lock the topic until it could get reviewed and responded to by the commish. It seemed to me like the issue was pretty clear-cut, and the commish had the info he needed to at least respond, and then discussion could open up again.

JShipman is a good commish who deals with things fairly and usually pretty promptly. Don't rake him over the coals for this, if you're big problem is that the thread got locked, then blame me.
NickSaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:55 AM   #274
Fouts
College Starter

So, as I was saying... Ken Stabler and Dave Casper are cheaters and should be banned. See the Sept 21, 1978 game between the Chargers and Raiders, we want restitution!!
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:05 AM   #275
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

So who deleted all the threads?

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:36 AM   #276
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Just a few random thoughts:

1. Play2Win, if you're 41 years old, your typing and/or grammar skills are sorely lacking.

2. However they want to handle things in their league it's their perrogative. To have any outsider tell them how to do it is ludicrous. They don't have to respect your opinion, and you don't have to respect theirs, but the bottom line is that it's their league.

3. As stated previously, Clown2 was absolutely right to alert others to this. If this happening in someone else's league, then others need to know.

4. Fouts, again, show me in the 1978 NFL rulebook where that is cheating. Otherwise get over it.

Last edited by Raiders Army : 10-27-2005 at 05:37 AM.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 06:07 AM   #277
jshipman2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
How will we ever survive
(0.54 posts per day)

Unlike you Mr. 7067, I have a life!
jshipman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 06:15 AM   #278
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
JShipman certainly was put in an awkward position by all of this...since Raider1 for all intents and Purposes is his Mentor...

Roffle.

"There are always two; a mentor and a moron."

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 06:24 AM   #279
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:

This coming from a guy who writes "and i have played madden online for 6 years...played abcs monday night football 98 for 5 years and have played FOF for the last 4 months...participating in several leagues to find the ones i liked the best...
currently im in 4 leagues and PFL is as good a league as ive seen"

I'm not coming down on either of you - I'm just trying to point out how silly it is to argue this way. Each of you has interests that you devote your leisure time to. Making fun of how one chooses to allot this time is ridiculous.

Now...if you're spending time in a cave throwing tennis balls at someone yelling, "lightning bolt", then we may have an issue
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 06:28 AM   #280
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

I thought you said you were done with these boards forever?

Guess forever is an awfully short time these days.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 06:30 AM   #281
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
This coming from a guy who writes "and i have played madden online for 6 years...played abcs monday night football 98 for 5 years and have played FOF for the last 4 months...participating in several leagues to find the ones i liked the best...
currently im in 4 leagues and PFL is as good a league as ive seen"

I'm not coming down on either of you - I'm just trying to point out how silly it is to argue this way. Each of you has interests that you devote your leisure time to. Making fun of how one chooses to allot this time is ridiculous.

Now...if you're spending time in a cave throwing tennis balls at someone yelling, "lightning bolt", then we may have an issue

Actually, the guy you quoted was someone else other than shipman.. way to pay attention.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 06:37 AM   #282
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwobhm
From the PFL board.. excerpt of raider1's latest statement:

"Effective today I will be leaving my post as Assistant Commissioner, as well as my post on the Rules Committee. My actions were never intended to cheat, gain an upper hand, or hurt the league in anyway. My mistake was not allowing these players the opportunity to sign with anyone else, however, when I released them I honestly did not expect them to sign so quickly. I will abide by the penalty that has been given to me by the league and begin to move forward starting with tonights file. I have already released the three players in question during last nights file."

As discussed earlier in this thread, he had used the release/resign before in the eNFL with committee approval. It's hard to believe that he would expect the tactic to behave any differently in the PFL, when he's already tried it out in another MP league. He must have known there was a damn good chance they'd resign right away.

If you look back at the eNFL threads about this, though, it looks like there was time in between when raider1 signed the guy, and when he released him -- he had to ask some GMs (including one in the rules committee) to take their offers off the player, since everyone in the league was told to stay away from the guy, and a couple GMs forgot.

(This post isn't to defend raider1, just to get facts straight)
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 06:40 AM   #283
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

hey man...i was wondering if you might be interested in joining a new FOF league ran along the lines of Joe Satre's IFL (Internet Football League)
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 06:53 AM   #284
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
If you look back at the eNFL threads about this, though, it looks like there was time in between when raider1 signed the guy, and when he released him -- he had to ask some GMs (including one in the rules committee) to take their offers off the player, since everyone in the league was told to stay away from the guy, and a couple GMs forgot.

(This post isn't to defend raider1, just to get facts straight)
I don't understand. I thought the only way this cheat worked is if you did the release/resign in the same stage file. Otherwise you should get the "due to past injustices" message, correct?

If you release a player in FA stage 1 and then try to resign the player in FA stage 7 you should get the "Injustices" message.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:56 AM   #285
Joe
Pro Starter

not always
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:39 AM   #286
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Quote:
The personal attacks ought to stop too
they accomplish nothing and just make everyone associated with FOFC look bad...im sorry if people on here dont agree with what we did...or how we handled things...or even what i myself said about it....

OK... who is this guy to determine what makes FOFC look bad? He's been here 10 minutes... ERRRRRR... I'm a guy that has barely 300 posts in 5 years, but come here several times per day. I can read any thread and for the most part predict some of the "jokes" and replies that will happen...

You can't pick on family unless you're family...

Take your ball and go home, whatever... but don't talk about my momma...

-Chas
Old 10-27-2005, 07:39 AM   #287
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
Actually, the guy you quoted was someone else other than shipman.. way to pay attention.

Ack! You're right...I'll crawl back under my rock
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:47 AM   #288
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I hope it's better than your commissioning skills, cause frankly, you don't appear capable of running a hot knife through butter, much less a league.

And, now that you mention it ... I thought you were leaving.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:50 AM   #289
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSaban
JShipman is a good commish who deals with things fairly and usually pretty promptly.

I'd hate like Hell to see a bad one then.
BTW, what did he have for breakfast yesterday?
Old 10-27-2005, 08:00 AM   #290
Hoya1
High School JV

I understand the locking of threads a little

BUT

Why were they deleted? This makes no sense to me.
Hoya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:05 AM   #291
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
not always

I just checked and every single player in my transaction log that says "Released" I get the "Pass injustices" line if I try to resign them.

Can you explain that? Or show me an example? Can anyone else resign a player that they "Released" according to their transaction log?
Old 10-27-2005, 08:21 AM   #292
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay
I just checked and every single player in my transaction log that says "Released" I get the "Pass injustices" line if I try to resign them.

Can you explain that? Or show me an example? Can anyone else resign a player that they "Released" according to their transaction log?

According to J.P. Losman, you have to release them with a flick of your wrist, as if you're throwing a booger. I don't think he's ever living down that quote.

In the multi-player game, it isn't possible unless you make an offer in the same export. Which, unless expressly approved by the commissioner as part of a penalty of some sort, is what I'd consider cheating given that other teams do not have the opportunity to make an offer.

I should add that it's also possible if you hack the export file. Again, rather easy to catch down the line, so I'm not too worried about it. Most cheats hang out there for perpetuity for anyone to catch in a league that archives files - rather like a booger on Losman's throwing hand.

Last edited by Solecismic : 10-27-2005 at 08:25 AM.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:32 AM   #293
Hoya1
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
According to J.P. Losman, you have to release them with a flick of your wrist, as if you're throwing a booger. I don't think he's ever living down that quote.

Funny

I never heard that quote before. He should really learn how to throw booger's again really soon!
Old 10-27-2005, 08:32 AM   #294
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic

I should add that it's also possible if you hack the export file.
Thanks for suggesting that.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:40 AM   #295
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoya1
Funny

I never heard that quote before. He should really learn how to throw booger's again really soon!
I always thought you flick boogers not throw them. I guess if I start throwing them I too can be an NFL QB.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:44 AM   #296
JimKizer
Banned

Did anyone else spit coffee on their monitor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte_mcguire
Resent random excerts from PFL chat room.

Shard77: Hey Justin.

Commish: Ya Shard

Shard77: How are we going to get this shit back in the donkey?

Commish: I don't know, maybe we should just eat it.

Shard77: Tastes like chicken!
Currently cleaning my monitor, I'm sorry this is the funniest line IVE ever read!

Last edited by JimKizer : 10-27-2005 at 08:44 AM.
JimKizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:48 AM   #297
Hoya1
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd
I always thought you flick boogers not throw them. I guess if I start throwing them I too can be an NFL QB.

You're right. He should "flick" better
Old 10-27-2005, 09:46 AM   #298
thrym
Mascot

Quote:

You mean like, being told for a SECOND time that you have a cheater in your league but, rather than look into it immediately, you go to sleep? You honestly expected to have a chance to look into it 12-18 hours later...uhmmm...You HAD to know what kind of a person the reporter of the infraction was. He strikes me as a little 'manic' and 'high-strung'. He was a member of your league, you HAD to know he wouldn't sit on this TOO long...did you even send him a PM back, SAYING, 'I'll take care of this tomorrow night...don't freak out'?

I was a commish of two FHLs and if I had COURT the next day, I would look into an accusation of cheating right damn now! NO sooner!!! As Commish you owe it to ALL the other members...its not just YOUR league, its theirs too and they trust you to see to it that ran FAIRLY! But instead, EVERYONE now sees a cover-up and a backpedaling, sidestepping commish saying and doing anything to 'justify' his actions.

You have other league members coming on here to help flame the fires of this thing(if you didn't ask them to do it, it doesn't matter. You could have told everyone to "...shut up about it, let it die, I am handling this -- anyone that openly speaks out will be fined or something") but here they are spreading their love on this board. The board mod even showed up, "I'm the one that locked the thread..." SO?!?!

Frankly its not the cheat that matters, that kind of thing could have been forgiven(if you'd handled it correctly this community wouldn't have ever heard about it), its your attempt to cover it up that seems unforgivable. Hate the sin, love the sinner. I hold no ill for you or anyone else, but I HATE the way its been handled and I hate that fact that I even know about it MORE!!!

With that off my chest, I will return to my 'lurking'.

Last edited by thrym : 10-27-2005 at 09:50 AM.
thrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:53 AM   #299
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I know about 100 words in Spanish. To me, this whole thread is like watching a soap opera on Univision.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:55 AM   #300
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrym
As Commish you owe it to ALL the other members...its not just YOUR league, its theirs too and they trust you to see to it that ran FAIRLY!

Amen to that...I got thrust into the commissioner's position in the FastFL and although I was leary at first as to how it was going to treat me, I have embraced it and made sure I did everything in the interest of the league. It is not an easy thing to run a league, but I feel I have done a fair job of it.