Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-06-2003, 09:16 PM   #251
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Combine Memo

To: Abe Sargent, owner
CC: Vic Ketchman, VP of Public Relations; Marc Trestman, Head Coach

As you may know, Abe Sargent has empowered me to oversee the scouting and make scouting decisions at the Combine this year. Since we are drafting late in each round at pick 30, it becomes much harder for us to scout players. Therefore, we will begin by concentrating on just a few positions.

Our areas where we need starters for the future are:

Punter
ROLB
LG
LE

We have two starters with one year contracts at the LG and RE positions, but future starters would be nice.

There are 5 ROLBs, 5 LEs, and 4 RGs with grades between the 1st and 3rd rounds. We will scout them all.

As you'll remember, the Combine is a three day process. We have fifteen hour blocks where we can individually workout and investigate a player. These 14 players will be our first 14 hours.

I'd also like to look at another RG with a grade of 3-4 round. That will be our initial 15 players.

I will issue reports on the players and where we are going next following the first day of the Combine.

-Mike Ackerley

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 09:40 PM   #252
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Combine Report, Day 1

In order:

ROLB - All five are good, solid tacklers. Four have 4.40 times in the 4.6 range, while one has a 4.8 time. All have at least average interviews.

LE - All five also appear to be good tacklers. All but one have at least above average interviews. Their speed ranged from 4.62 to 4.93 - and that's big difference. You can teach strength, awareness, tackling, but not speed. Can't coach speed.

RG - Two seem to have lingering injuries or injury problems. Only two had above average interview and one had a below average interview.

Based on the first day, we want to continue to scout 3 of the linebackers, 3 of the defensive ends, and two guards.

Now, here are the players who have impressed us enough to invite them to our individual sessions -

At QB we have mid or late round players in Levi Ogden, Otis Bryant and Deion Walker.

We need to take a look at late rounders Junior Rasby at RG and Johnnie Warren at ROLB. If we don't get what we need early, these are my main candidates for late selections.

If the Curtis issue persists, LOLB Peter Devine might be a good first round selection. So we'll scout him.

At TE, we really are impressed by Danny McCallister from New Mexico.

We'll have another report tomorrow.

-Mike Ackerley

Old 10-06-2003, 10:36 PM   #253
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

NFL Draft Day, ESPN Coverage

Chris Berman: ....10 receivers!!! Including, for those of you just now tuning in, the first three picks. Amazing, eh Jon?

Jon Gruden: Sure is, Chris. Now the Copperheads are on the clock and they've had some amazing drafts, but now that they are drafting at the end of every round, their scouting department has to do a much better job of finding talent. They can't simply take the players who have fallen as easily as before.

Mel Kiper, Jr: True enough Jon. The Cops have three positions where the need is so great that they might use a first rounder. Right Guard, Left End, and Right Outside Linebacker. Of those, linebacker is their greatest need.

Chris: And recap the players that have fallen for us, Mel.

Mel: There are three players. two are offensive tackles Peyton Mayberry and Isaac Frederick. The other is Left End Dwayne Armstrong. The Cops scouted him heavily at the combine, so they may feel very comfortable with picking him. I'd select Dwayne if I were the Copperheads.

Jon: What players do you have at the top of the other positions of need.

Mel: Well, they need a punter, but they can find that late, so I don't really consider it. Terrence Peterson, from Harvard, would be my best Right Guard. And Peter Devine from Hawaii would be my recommendation for linebacker.

Chris: But need meets best choice in Dwayne?

Mel: Right, and owner Abe Sargent has been the most disciplined decision maker on draft day. He rarely reaches. That makes Dwayne even a more certain choice, although I have Peter ranked the 26th overall player, so he wouldn't be a poor choice or a reach either.

Jon: There are a lot of good guards plugging up the top of the draft board, and I think they can likely find one later.

Mel: I agree.

Chris: Well, we will find out momentarily as Paul looks to have been just handed the card from the Las Vegas table.

(Pause)

Paul Taglibue: With the 30th overall selection in the 2007 NFL Rookie draft, the Las Vegas Copperheads have chosen Defensive End from Standford, Dwayne Armstrong.

Mel: I love getting them right.

Jon: This guy is a great all around end, although he'll need to work on his skills because right now he doesn't excel at any area.

Mel: I project Dwayne to push Chidi Ahanotu for a starting position this year, because he is more developed than Jon thinks.

Chris: Woah....

Mel: Heheh. Anyway, he's 6'4", ran a 4.63 40, which is good for a defensive end, and has great tackling ability. He'll be a good player for the Cops.

Chris: Alright, well number 31 is on the clock, and the.....

Old 10-07-2003, 04:20 AM   #254
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Danm it, get me a QB!!
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 09:27 PM   #255
Desnudo
Coordinator

Boo! Vegas fans demand a flashier quarterback.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 01:16 PM   #256
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

NFL Draft Day, ESPN Continuing Coverage

Sam Modell, Assistant Comissioner: With the 30th selection in the second round of the 2007 Draft, the Las Vegas Copperheads select Linebacker from Idaho, Anthony Gregg

Mel Kiper: Not who I would have selected at all here. I have Anthony as the second best right-side linebacker on my linebacker list, but he is way down on my list of overall talent. There is a big dropoff at talen at the rightside, and Anthony will not be a good starting linebacker in this league.

Jon Gruden: So you are saying that you think Abe Sargent made a mistake drafting Gregg here?

Mel: I think, in his fourth draft, that he has hit on so many of his choices in the first three rounds, that it is starting to get to his head. Dwayne Armstrong, their defensive end in the first round, was an excellent pick. Vintage Abe Sargent. But this feels like a reach to me.

Chris: Since this draft is supposed to be talent light, and since the Copperheads are pciking at the bottom of the rounds, does that enter into the equation?

Mel: Maybe, but I honestly doubt it. This is an issue that goes beyond a poor draft and a different position. This is a bad selection. The onlly other choice I think was poor was last year's third round selection of halfback Shaun Davis.

Jon: Interesting.

Chris: Well, we'll see how Anthony does, and this debate will be settled one way or the other.

Old 10-08-2003, 01:23 PM   #257
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

NFL Draft, Day 2, ESPN Live Coverage

Chris Berman: And now Mel will start assessing how each team did in the draft so far. Mel?

Mel Kiper: Let's start with the newest location to have a team, Las Vegas and the Copperheads.

In the first round, the Cops chose Dwayne Armstrong. I expect him to be a fixture at defensive end for a long time, and I know that the Copperheads were higher on him than the fourth overall selection in Peter Haynesworth, the other left defensive end with the first round grade. They had to be pleased as sailors in a whorehouse that Dwayne fell to this spot.

Their second and fifth round selections of right outside linebackers and their fourth and sixth round selections of right guards tells me that they are trying to shotgun a starter. Draft a couple and see if any pan out. Not wise. Find your man, and stick with him.

Quarterback Levi Ogdon, taken in the third round, may pan out, and I mean may. But it will take a while.

And Punter Black Thomas may have been the best punter in the draft, and to get him really late, and after four other punters went, that's pretty good.

So, overall, I'd have to say that the Cops made some mistakes, but they hit in the first and seventh rounds. C minus.

Chris: Wow, sharp grades for an owner who had done very well.

Old 10-08-2003, 05:40 PM   #258
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

A 3rd rounder to appease the fans?! We want a REAL QB! Come on already!
Old 10-09-2003, 01:16 AM   #259
Desnudo
Coordinator

Written Rule of NFL Football - Never draft anyone named Levi, especially a quarterback. I expect to see him dealing blackjack on my next trip.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:11 PM   #260
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

LAS VEGAS COPPERHEADS PRESS RELEASE

Rookies All Signed and Ready to Go

Earlier today, in the Copperheads tradition, all seven rookies sigend their contracts simultaneously in a small ceremony in the WuxCom Stadium. It was also the first chance that many media outlets had to view the brand new state of the art stadium.

The respose from the media was overwhelmingly positive. WuxCom features a natural grass turf with an open air stadium but has many of the modern amenities we have come to expect from a stadium. Additionally, owener Abe Sargent has pledged to improve the stadium as the stadium debt is paid off.

The seven rookie contracts had their basic terms desclosed to the public. Here are the rookies in their draft order, listed beside their contract numbers:

1. Defensive End Dwayne Armstrong, 5 year deal worth 6.75 million with a 1.1 million bonus as part of the package.

2. Linebacker Anthony Gregg, 4 years for 2.2 million and 400k bonus

3. Quarterback Levi Odgen, 4 year deal worth 1.7 million with 280k bonus

4. Offensive Guard Alex Newsome, 3 years for 1.2 million and 210k bonus

5. Linebacker Johnnie Warren, 3 year deal for 850k with a bonus of 120k.

6. Offensive Guard Junior Rasby, 3 year deal for 800k with a bonus of 90k.

7. Punter Blake Thomas, 3 years for 760k and a bonus of 60k.

Welcome the new Copperheads with open arms as they joins us in our quest for glory!

Old 10-09-2003, 02:42 PM   #261
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

NFL This Week, Football Network

Cris Carter: Hello and welcome back to another exciting edition of NFL THis Week, only on the Football Network. I'm your host Cris Carter...

Tim Brown: And I'm your co-host, Tim Brown. On today's show, we are focusing on quarterbacks and quarterback controversies around the league.

Cris: And we are going to start with the teams at the top that are a little unsettled and move our way down. The first team, then, is the Las Vegas Copperheads, who were in the NFC Championship game last year. And we are joined by quarterback guru and ex-quarterback Jim Harbaugh. Welcome back Jim.

Jim Harbaugh: Thanks Cris, Tim, good to be back.

Tim: Okay Jim, as you already know, we are looking at quarterbacks in the league, whether or not they are sset or if the team would consider another player, and so forth. Let's start with Marc Bulger of the Las Vegas Copperheads.

Jim: A lot of fans are still calling for Bulger's head, but I don't think that he's going anywhere anytime soon.

Cris: He's entering the last year of his contract and the Copperheads just drafted their first quarterback ever.

Jim: I know, and I think they are looking for protection. With Shawn Johnson, this team doesn't need a power quarterback. They don't need a rushing QB like Michael Vick nor do they need a Brett Favre like QB who puts every game on his shoulders. They just need someone who is threatening enough that opposing defenses won't throw all 11 players on Shawn Johnson or, if they overplay the run, Bulger will hurt them. That's all.

Cris: What do you think of Bulger's receivers?

Jim: It's a good corps. They signed Az-Zahir Hakim in the offseason as their only major free agency move. I know they wanted him more for his return game, but he'll make a fine fourth receiver. Craig Campbell, Deion Branch, and Brandon Lloyd have showed me that they work well together on the field. This is the first year when the Copperheads have kept their top three receivers, which shows me that they are stable.

Tim: You mentioned their free agency moves. Are you surprised that they didn't go after a quarterback to challenge Bulger?

Jim: Not at all. There weren't any starting caliber quarterbacks running around out there, to be perfectly honest. Remember that owner Abe Sargent has always been reluctant to change his QB. In his inaugural season, he had Jamie Martin starting with Dany Wuerffel and yet he didn't bench Jamie despite some rather poor games. And he has never benched Bulger ever, not even in a blowout to give someone else a try.

Cris: Plus, they have a school connection.

Jim: Right. Marc Bulger and Abe Sargent were both students together at West Virginia Univeristy at the same time, although they never knew each other. So they have that WVU connection, and Abe still waxes fondly about watching Bulger play QB. Bulger was the best QB that WVU ever had, and that includes Major Harris and Jim Hostetler.

Tim: Will Bulger be resigned this year?

Jim: I think that he'll have to be, although I wouldn't expect it to be that long of a contract. Maybe a two year extension keeping him around for three more years.

Tim: Alright, thanks for your help, now let's look at Green Bay and their quarterback situation.....

Old 10-11-2003, 02:40 PM   #262
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Roster Memo

At your request, the following free agents were signed off the street to deepen our roster.

QB Josh McCown, 1 year, 780k with 90k bonus

HB Charlie Johnson, 4 years, 2.45 mill with 360k bonus (rookie drafted late in sixth round then later released)

WR Eddie Drummond, 1 year, 700k with 60k bonus

TE Dan Curley, 1 year, 670k with 60k bonus

C Shyrone Sylvester, 1 year, 620k with 70k bonus

RE Dre Fisk, 2 years, 1.85 million with 420k bonus (Brought him back)

LOLB Matt Wilhelm, 3 years, 3.45 million with 630k bonus (Matt may start if Curtis contintues to holdout, so we wanted someone with definite strating potential. And we had to pay for it as well.)

SS William Kinney, 3 years, 3.61 million with 570k bonus (Brought him back as well)

-Mike Ackerley

Old 10-11-2003, 10:54 PM   #263
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

KNLV News, Sports Opener

"The Las Vegas Copperheads today signed a media deal worth 5.75 million a year for three years. The money should help pay for the stadium, which the Copperheads are still in debt for.

In other news, the University of Nevada here in Las Vega released its 2007 schedule...."

Old 10-17-2003, 07:06 PM   #264
Pyser
Pro Rookie

dont let this die!
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 04:55 PM   #265
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyser
dont let this die!

I won't. I just haven't had a lot of time in the past week to keep updating. On Sunday, tomorrow, I should have several updates.

-Anxiety

Old 10-18-2003, 11:23 PM   #266
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

I bet if you drafted a QB in the first 2 rounds, you'd have more free time. . .
Old 10-19-2003, 02:16 PM   #267
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Printout From Copperheads.com Website:

Your 2007 Las Vegas Copperheads:

QB Marc Bulger, 86 !
Josh McCown, 57
Levi Ogden, 57 * + !

HB Shawn Johnson, 96 !
Shaun Davis, 66 +
Charlie Johnson, 62 *

FB James Hodgins, 81
Bernie Norton, 63 +

WR Craig Campbell, 90 + !
Deion Branch, 87
Brandon Lloyd, 71
Az-Zahir Hakim, 68
Eddie Drummond, 56

TE Anthony Becht, 77
Herman Miller, 68
Dan Curley, 49

LT Kwame George, 80
Brady Allen, 60

LG Martin Bibla, 79

C Dedric Arrington, 83
Shyrone Sylvester, 59

RG Leon Searcy, 82
Brad Green, 66
Alex Newsome, 66 *
Junior Rasby, 60 *

RT Jon Johnson, 87
Dave Smith, 60 +

LE Chidi Ahanotu, 80
Dwayne Armstrong, 78 +

RE Michael Roberts, 86 +
Dre Fisk, 69

DT Monsanto Pope, 82
Steve Martin, 82
Reggie Fryar, 68
Sean Nelson, 61

LOLB Canute Curtis, 82 H
Matt Wilhelm, 70

MLB Colby Solomon, 83
Donny Jones, 71 +

ROLB Kendall Ortiz, 70 +
Anthony Gregg, 64 * +
Johnnie Warren, 57, *

CB Doug Bronson, 90
Aaron Mosling, 81 + !
Ike Charlton, 75
Marvin Bates, 70 +
Tyrone Carter, 59

FS Drew Copeland, 82
Richard Harper, 76 +

SS Carl Sanders, 86 +
William Kinney, 77

K Dexter Krause, 99 !

P Blake Thomas, 71* +

Comments written down on printout by Mike Ackerly. Number is overall score out of 100. * signifies rookie, ! signifies someone who increased their abilities as a result of Training Camp drills, + is someone who increased their skills during the preseason, and H signifies a holdout.

Old 10-19-2003, 02:30 PM   #268
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Three Copperheads Have Contracts Extended

Earlier today, three Las Vegas Copperheads had their contracts extended. Running Back Shawn Johnson, cornerback Doug Bronson, and safety Carl Sanders were all in the last year of their rookie contracts.

There were a lot of similarities between the three players. All were in the Pro Bowl during their second season, all were in the last season of their rookies contracts, all have played outside the boundaries of their original deals, all signed for three year extensions, and all half selflessly worked hard in this preseaon, in the hopes that a contract would see fruition.

As a continuing sign of solidarity, all three signed their contracts today in a press conference held on the field of WuxCom Stadium.

Details of the contracts are below, in the order that they were reached:

CB Doug Bronson, 4 years, 18.5 million with a 2.44 signing bonus

RB Shawn Johnson, 4 years, 30 million with a 4.84 bonus

SS Carl Sanders, 4 years, 11.8 million with a 2.16 bonus.

Old 10-19-2003, 08:46 PM   #269
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Spoken into a MicroRecorder

Week 1 is called by me since I wanted to call the first game in Vegas. We are hosting the Bucs.

Marc looks rusty early with three first half interceptions while S. Jay has only 57 yards rushing. Halftime score is 13-3 Bucs.

In the second half, both light up the scoreboard. Shawn finished the day with 215 yards rushing and Bulger throws a pair of TDs as we win 24-19.

Our leading receiver on the day was TE Herman Miller with 3 catches for 62 yards.

Old 10-19-2003, 08:57 PM   #270
Desnudo
Coordinator

QB Marc Bulger, 86 !

86 points worth of stink. Time to trade him in for a nice high #1 draft pick.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:33 PM   #271
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

3 ints in the first HALF!?!

We want a QB!
Old 10-20-2003, 01:58 PM   #272
Desnudo
Coordinator

We want a pitcher not a belly itcher!
Old 10-26-2003, 01:59 PM   #273
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

To: [email protected]
Re: Football and Stuff

> Marc Trestman is coaching the next three games. We flipped
> him on the first week and me on the second so that I could all
> the first home game, so he coaches week 2, then back on
> schedule for week 3, then we have a Bye in week 4, so he
> coaches in week 5. I don't call a game again until week 6.

So here is how Marc did:

Week 2 - The Rams came to town and we managed only two field goals as we lost 6-26.

Week 3 - We traveled to Atlanta to tackle the Falcons. We beat them 24-12.

Week 4 - Bye. Drew Copeland is injured and may be out for a few weeks.

Week 5 - We host the 49ers. Marc coaches up a win over the then 3-1 49ers with a final score identical to the first week - 24-16.

We haven't scored more than 24 points in any game all season long.

After the San Francisco game, Carl Sanders and Craig Campbell are knocked out for at leaast four weeks each. Starting in their places will be Brandon Lloyd and William Kinney.

Now I'll have to coach the game in St. Louis against the Rams that beat us at home earlier this season. And we may very well need to score more than 24 points to win this game.

-Abe

Old 10-26-2003, 05:24 PM   #274
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Byline from Las Vegas Gazette

Some interesting stats from this week's victory in St. Louis (27-20)

This is the first time that the Copperheads have scored more than 24 points in a game this season.

This was Shawn Johnson's lowest rushing total of the season for a game - 113 yards on 27 attempts.

It was Fullback James Hodgins best running game for the Copperheads in two seasons - 43 yards.

Although receiver Brandon Lloyd received his first start in a Copperheads' uniform, he did not catch a pass all day. The Cops lined him up against the Rams best corner most of the day in order to give Deion Branch mismatches.

The Copperheads had two 100 yard receivers. Deion Branch with 100 yards even on 4 catches and a TD. Backup tight end Herman Miller had 7 catches for 105 yards and a TD as the Rams defense left him open all day. Starting TE Anthony Becht did not catch the ball once.

Az-Zahir Hakim's 85 yard punt return for a TD late in the fourth quarter was the longest punt return in Copperheads short history.

Rookie defensive end Dwayne Armstrong, who unseated longtime starter Chidi Ahanotu in camp, notched two sacks on the day. He now has seven sacks on the year already.

QB Marc Bulger threw for 248 yards, 2 TDs and one Int.

Old 10-26-2003, 05:45 PM   #275
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

NFL Ticker line

Balt 31 LV 19....Johnson 117 yards....

Old 10-26-2003, 08:22 PM   #276
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Byline from Las Vegas Gazette

Last week's victory over Seattle was the Copperheads most dominating performance to date. Here are some notes from the game that ended 41-24.

Dexter Krause's 57 yard field goal in the second quarter is the longest of his career.

When owner/playcaller Abe Sargent challenged what was ruled a fumble by Deion Branch and the call on the field was overturened, it was the first challenge of the year that was overturned for the Copperheads. Previously, Copperhead opponent's won challenges, but the Cops just lost them all.

Marc Bulger passed for 213 yards, 2 TDs and 1 Int. The Interception came in the first quarter when the ball was bobbled by receiver on the play Shawn Johnson and then caught by the defense.

Super Jay ran for 182 yards on the ground and 2 TDs. Before today, Shawn Johnson had just one rushing TD on the season.

Receiver Deion Branch just missed another 100 yard receiving day, catching for 96 yards. He did, however, catch two TDs.

Tight end Herman Miller again posted the second best receiving numbers on the day - 3 catches for 50 yards.

Strong Safety William Kinney lodged 12 tackles in substitution for injured starter Carl Sanders.

Marvin Bates's interception return for a TD is the first Copperhead defensive touchdown since the first game of the season.

Linebacker Colby Solomon's interception and return, which set up a Dexter Krause FG as the first half expired, was his first of the season. After this game, eight different Copperhead players have picked off an opposing quarterback.

Old 10-26-2003, 08:48 PM   #277
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

!

Interview with Shalonda Harlest, Sports Illustrated

With a dismantling performance over Seattle this past week, the Las Vegas Copperheads scored more points in the second half (28) then they had previously in their best game (27). With rookie sensation Dwayne Armstrong having seven sacks, a continued record of drafting success, arguably the best running back ever, one of the strongest offensive lines in the league, and relocation to a controversial city, the Copperheads have generated a lot of stories. I sat down with owner Abe Sargent for a quick interview.

Shalonda: You are sitting atop the NFC West, a hard division where no team is currently under .500, yet many fans continue to call for you to acquire a new quarterback. Why is that?

Abe: Fans, like myself, like our staff, and like our players, expect perfection. When we get it, then we can rest. But no player of ours is perfect. Even Shawn Johnson bumbled and dropped two open passes last week, one of which led to an interception.

Shalonda: All of which sounds like the typical coach-speak. What is really going on?

Abe: Hehheh. True. Simply put, Marc Bulger is one of the 32 best quarterbacks in the league. He is not number one, number two, and so forth. Yet, last year, he was one of the top five vote getters for the QB position for the Pro-Bowl. He gets the job done. Sure, sometimes it's a bit ugly, but it works. We win. I have no intention of blaming the quarterback or using him as a scapegoat to appease the fans and the critics, unlike many in football.

Shalonda: During your tenure as the owner, the team had made exactly two quarterback changes. You started with Danny Wuerffell for one week, slid into Jamie Martin, then picked up Marc Bulger and he's started every game since.

Abe: True, and we wouldn't have even started Wuerrffel that one game if I had known about it ahead of time. That was what led me to be a more proactive owner in football matters.

Shalonda: Anything true about the WVU connection?

Abe: Canute Curtis has yet to take a single snap from us. His holdout continues. If I had a wet dream for ex-Mountaineers, then wouldn't I have given Canute more money?

Shalonda: Fair enough. What about Shawn Johnson. He's gotten less carries and less yards this year, over seven games.

Abe: Shawn Jay has something like 850 yards in seven games. Only a cynic would think that's bad production. The man has notched two 2000 yard seasons. I think we can let him get one season with a few less yards without tarnishing his image.

Shalonda: Dwayne Armstrong came on strong, but has been stymied in the past two games. Has he hit his rookie wall?

Abe: You mean, have offenses learned how to stop him? I don't know, I don't own other teams. I do know that no one logged a sack over Seattle, we certainly can't fault Armstrong without either faulting everybody or crediting the entire Seattle offensive line, which gave them all kinds of time to score.

Shalonda: Your prediction, who goes to the Pro Bowl from Las Vegas this year.

Abe: Shawn Johnson, Deion Branch, most of our O-Line, Dwayne Armstrong, one of our D-Backs.

Shalonda: What player on your roster doesn't get the credit he deserves?

Abe: Without a doubt, its Dexter Krause. I think that he's the best kicker in the league, and he hasn't won an award or gotten a Pro Bowl berth because we don't kick as many field goals as other teams do. However, you'll see Dexter line up for a few more long ones, like we did against Seattle, when Dexter notched a 57 yard field goal.

Shalonda: And here I figured that you'd mention Herman Miller or somebody.

Abe: Herman is a good player too. He's currently the second leading receiver on the team.

Shalonda: Who wins the Super Bowl this year?

Abe: Copperheads

Shalonda: Who do you play from the AFC in the Super Bowl?

Abe: Broncos.

Shalonda: The 7-1 Broncos, eh? Who is Las Vegas's biggest rival?

Abe: Either the Rams or the Seahawks. Probably the Seahawks, because we both came into the NFC West at the same time, and we both have battled for NFC West supremacy last year and this year.

Shalonda: What's Vegas like?

Abe: I love it! Coming here is the second best decision I've made as the owner of the Copperheads.

Shalonda: What was the best decision?

Abe: Why, drafting Shawn Johnson, of course.

Shalonda: Fair enough. Alright, I understand that you have to get going?

Abe: I do, but thanks for everything. Have a good one

Old 10-27-2003, 11:10 AM   #278
Desnudo
Coordinator

The Copperheads may make it to the Superbowl, but the wheels will come off when Bulger is asked to perform in the clutch.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:22 AM   #279
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

DRAFT A QB IN THE 1ST OR 2ND ROUND ALREADY!!!
Old 10-28-2003, 01:14 PM   #280
RealDeal
High School Varsity

As president of the Marc Bulger fan club, I would like to point out that all Marc Bulger does is win games and make big plays. Don't mess with success. Bulger is the past, present and future in Vegas.
RealDeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 02:06 PM   #281
Desnudo
Coordinator

President and sole member?
Old 10-29-2003, 05:30 PM   #282
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

A target in the stands to vent our ire, over the lack of the teams dedication to the QB position.

Talk radio is going nuts with "Burn Bulger" and, things like "What the greatest thing that ever happened to the Minnesota Cardinals? Answer: Marc Bulger"
Old 10-30-2003, 02:56 PM   #283
Desnudo
Coordinator

I really question the existance of a fan club or a fan of Marc Bulger. I wonder if it's Bulger himself masquerading as a fan.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:16 AM   #284
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Week 9 sees coach Marc Trestman coach up a loss 10-14 at Carolina.

Now its us versus Green Bay and we need this win in a toughe division. I'll be calling the plays this week.

Old 10-31-2003, 02:35 AM   #285
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Spopken into a Microrecorder

With Deion Branch out for a couple of weeks, and Campbell still out, Az Hakim and Brandon Lloyd are my starting wideouts. We'll have to see how they handle the pressure.

Simply put, Bulger looked horrible in the game. 7 total interceptions, and S. Jay even fumbled it away, which he rarely does.

To be fair, only 4 of the picks were Bulger's fault. One pick occured because 5th string receiver Drummond did not jump for a ball instead allowing the safety to get it. Drummond did warm up later, and notched over 100 yards receving on the day.

Bulger made two late reads, where the defense closed to an open receiver faster than he expected. And twice Bulger forced the ball into single coverage when trying to catch up to the Packers, creating two picks.

The other two picks were Bulger lobs over LBs to an open receiver 5 or 10 yards behind the LB. In both cases, the LBs made superb jumps and grabbed both balls. In fact, one ball was grabbed impossibly high, and I still am struck that Nick Barnett was able to elevate that high.

Final score 37-17.

It could have been worse, I suppose, but I don't see how.

This is the first loss from a game I've coached in a while.

Old 10-31-2003, 02:39 AM   #286
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

MNF Recap

"So the Copperheads woes continue as they lose to the San Francisco 49ers 30-18. They are down to 5-5 on the season and they'll have to put together an impressive drive if they have hopes for the postseason."

Old 10-31-2003, 09:49 AM   #287
tucker342
Pro Starter

oh, so only four of the picks were his fault! That makes it alot better!
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 06:53 PM   #288
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

SEVEN Picks!!!!!

Get that freakin BUM OUT OF THERE!

How long has the fan base been clamoring for a REAL QB?! How long have we been set aside, management voicing their disdain for us! All along, we have been right! How long can we stand for this disgrace to continue?!

GET A NEW QB!
Old 11-02-2003, 12:09 PM   #289
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

ESPN.com

Copperheads Crush Browns, 52-3

In a very interesting Week 12, Marc Bulger threw five touchdowns, but also five interceptions as the Copperheads simply lambasted the Browns 52-3.

Although Bulger is credited with 5 interceptions, most scouts believe that three were the result of bobbled balls by the receivers or the defense making a tremendous play, and that two should be credited to Bulger.

WR Craig Campbell was still out today with his ankle and Brandon Lloyd started in his place, catching 6 balls for 82 yards and a TD. WR Deion Branch, back after a few weeks hiatus due to injury, caught two TDs passes while tight ends Anthony Becht and Herman Miller also each caught a TD.

Shawn Johnson rushed for 109 yards.

WR/KR Az Hakim returned a punt 65 yards for a TD in the first score of the game. Later, in the fourth, he would return another 39 yards to the 11.

CB Aaron Mosling picked off the Browns and ran it back for a TD. CB Marvin Bates also notched a pick but was tackled at the one just before getting it in. Also receiving picks were Kendall Ortiz and Ike Charlton.

Old 11-02-2003, 12:32 PM   #290
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Fan Appreciation Day

This week has been declared Fan Appreciation Week here as the Las Vegas Copperheads host the New Orleans Saints here at WuxCom Stadium.

The Copperheads appreciate the Las Vegas fans, and want to do somethign for them. So, this week every person who attends the game will get a free Copperheads duffel bag.

The Saints are 9-2 on the season and are the toughest opponent on the schedule for the Copperheads this year. Come out and support the new Copperheads!

Old 11-02-2003, 12:33 PM   #291
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

CBS Sports Ticker Line

....LV 28, NO 13....

Old 11-02-2003, 02:00 PM   #292
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

To: [email protected]
Re: Week 14 Homegame against the Bengals

Our team lost this week 31-27 as our defense looked pretty poor.

Az Hakim again returned a punt for a TD, his third of the season.

CB Mosling got a pair of picks. He fumbled at the one as he was running it back and the Bengals recovered.

QB Bulger looked good with 227 yards on the day, 2 TDs, and one pick.

Shawn Jay has 122 yards.

A lot of the teams in teh division have lost the past few weeks, so at 7-6, we are actually tied for first in the division. We could still push over the last three weeks of the season and make the playoffs.

-Abe Sargent

Old 11-02-2003, 02:04 PM   #293
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Week 15:

Washington 40, Las Vegas 13

Bulger was injured early and rookie Levi Ogden came in and threw 3 picks.

Three teams in the NFC West are 7-7.

Old 11-02-2003, 03:27 PM   #294
Desnudo
Coordinator

"Although Bulger is credited with 5 interceptions, most scouts believe that three were the result of bobbled balls by the receivers or the defense making a tremendous play, and that two should be credited to Bulger."

You know there's a saying, "when it seems like everyone else is the problem, you're usually the problem."
Old 11-02-2003, 03:54 PM   #295
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

WNLV News, Sports Segment

With an overtime victory in Seattle today, the Copperheads move to the top of the NFC West with one game to go.

Here's Marc Bulger's first touchdown pass to tight end Herman Miller. His second to Miller would win the game.

Shawn Johnson is juking past the Seahawks for 14 yards on this carry. He'd get 191 yards and a touch on the day.

Watch this, safety Carl Sanders comes up and just jacks Shaun Alexander. He knocks the ball 22 yards in the air when he forces the fumble, watch it again in slow motion. BOOM!

And here is why I'm a Copperheads fan. The score is 20-20, 8:17 left in the fourth, and Las Vegas just stands up to Seattle and beats them down. 14 consecutive runs followed by one pass, then two more runs will wind the clock down to 1:48, Shawn Johnson scores a rushing td, and Seattle is out of timeouts.

But the Seahawks were not dead. Six straight completetions by Hasselbeck and the Seahawks have tied it at 27.

The Seahawks win the flip but go three and out. Hakim gets 12 yards on the return. Pass to Brandon Lloyd for 6 yards, then run by Shawn Jay for 21 yards and the Cops are on the 29. Six runs later they are on the 16, and owner Abe Sargent calls a pass out of a running formation for the touchdown as Miller catches it in the endzone.

Nice win, and the Cops are now in sole lead of the NFC West.

Old 11-02-2003, 04:09 PM   #296
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Spoken Into a Microrecorder

Marc Trestman coached the hell out of Deion Branch in Week 17 against the Steelers. Deion caught the ball 14 times for 149 yards, three TDs, and NFL Offensive Player of the Week honors.

At 9-7, the Copperheads have won the NFC West and are the fourth seed in the NFC Playoffs.

We host the 9-7 Eagles.

8-8 Packers at the 10-5-1 Redskins.

10-6 Patriots at the 10-6 Bengals.

12-4 Broncos at 9-7 Titans.

Marc and I have switched weeks. If we run the table, I want to be the one calling the plays in the Super Bowl, so Marc will call them this week.

We'll see what happens....

Old 11-02-2003, 06:50 PM   #297
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Wild Card Weekend:

Patriots over Bengals 35-24

Redskins over Packers 21-6

Broncos over Titans 17-13

Eagles over Copperheads 2713

Division Championships Weekend:

Patriots over Chargers 27-22

Eagles over Bears 24-21

Bills over Broncos 28-20

Saints over Redskins 23-20

Championship Weekend:

AFC Championship:

Patriots at Bills

Patriots 15

Bills 10

NFC Championship:

Eagles at Saints

Eagles 17

Saints 27

Super Bowl Matchup:

AFC Champion New England Patriots

vs.

NFC Champion New Orleans Saints

Patriots 17

Saints 23

NFL Champion New Orleans Saints!!!!!

Old 11-02-2003, 07:36 PM   #298
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Seasonal Stats:

QB Marc Bulger, 3415 yards, 31 TDs, 33 Ints

HB Shawn Johnson, 1854 yards, 8 TDs, 60 catches, 447 yards, 3 TDs

WR Deion Branch, 79 receptions, 903 yards, 10 TDs

WR Brandon Lloyd, 49 catches, 524 yards, 3 TDs

WR Craig Campbell, 29 grabs, 327 yards, 4 TDs

TE Herman Miller, 33 snags for 492 yards and 5 TDs

TE Anthony Becht, 31 catches for 308 yards and 2 TDs

WR/KR Az-Zahir Hakim, 26 catches for 263 yards, 2 TDs, 3 PR TDs

SS William Kinney, 71 Tackles, 2 TFL, 2 sacks, 2 Int, 3 FF

ROLB Kendall Ortiz, 70 Tacks, 9 TFL, 2 sacks, 1 Int, 1 FF, 1 FumRec

LE Dwayne Armstrong, 29 Tacks, 11 TFL, 13 sacks

RE Michael Roberts, 26 Tacks, 6 TFL, 7 sacks

DT Steve Martin, 33 Tacks, 7 TFL, 5 sacks, 3 FF

DT Monsanto Pope, 37 Tacks, 8 TFL, 5 sacks, 1 FF

CB Aaron Mosling, 61 Tacks, 1 TFL, 9 Ints, 2 FF, 1 Int Ret TD

RT Jon Johnson, 99 Pancakes, 6 sacks

C Dedric Arrington, 80 Pancakes, 9 sacks

LT Kwame George, 72 Pancakes, 6 sacks

RG Leon Searcy, 70 Pancakes, 6 sacks

Awards:

Shawn Johnson:

NFC MVP (3rd Place)
NFC Offensive Player of the Year
NFL Off. Play. of Year (4th Place)
NFC Best RB
NFL Best RB (3rd Place)

Dwayne Armstrong:

NFC Defensive Rookie of the Year (2nd Place)
NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year (3rd Place)

Marc Bulger:

NFC Best QB (5th Place)

Jon Johnson:

NFC Best O-Lineman
NFL Best O-Lineman (2nd Place)

Dedric Arrington:

NFC Best O-Lineman (4th Place)

Aaron Mosling:

NFC Best DB (3rd Place)

Dexter Krause:

NFC Best K (5th Place)

Marc Trestman:

NFC Coach of the Year (4th Place)

Pro Bowl:

Shawn Johnson (Top RB Vote getter)
Jon Johnson (Top NFC Vote getter of any position)
Kwame George (2nd most votes in NFC O-Line)
Leon Searcy
Dedric Arrington
Aaron Mosling (Top vote getter of all NFC DBs)

Old 11-02-2003, 08:23 PM   #299
tucker342
Pro Starter

33 interceptions by Bulger!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Good god man! get a new QB!
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 08:53 PM   #300
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Las Vegas Copperheads Balance Sheet:

Income:

Ticket Sales - 44.4 Mill
Concessions - 4.5 Mill
Parking - 4.5 M
Merchandise - 3.3 M
NFL Shared Revenue - 85.15 M
Local Media Contract - 5.95 M