Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-17-2004, 09:56 AM   #251
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
Way to put 'em players in their place!

I'm serious, too, darnit!

I go all around the league all the time and see players I like or that can help me, and their pricetags just aren't that bad. If it's true that I get 75% of transfer fees back into my transfer funds, I can make some decent funds available by moving some of these guys, funds I can use to get the kind of guys I am looking for. No more waiting for a decent right wing to emerge, or trying to decide if I can find a fullback besides Queudreu to play on the left, or seeing other teams' strikers seem so unstoppable while my guys tread water. Those guys are out there, so these guys are duly noted.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 09:08 PM   #252
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

THURSDAY, October 2, 2003

New Day, Same Results

Arsenal Draws At Home, Newcastle Falls On The Road

Arsenal was drawn by Lazio on Wednesday, and Newcastle lost badly to Primeral Liga squad Real Sociedad in Spain, repeating the results of Premiership sides in the Champions League from Tuesday night.

On Tuesday, Manchester United was surprised at home by Lokomotiv Moscow, drawing 0-0 with them, while Chelsea fell to Serie A power Juventus in Torino, Italy.

Arsenal has been virtually untouchable so far this league season, but that doesn't apparently apply to Lazio, which drew the powerful Gunners, 1-1, at Highbury.

Forward Stefano Fiore scored for Lazio in the 31st minute, putting the Gunners on their heels. They didn't tie it up until winger Robert Pires scored in the 67th minute.

Arsenal probably deserved better--they outshot Lazio, 12-6, and 8-5 in shots on goal.

In San Sebastián, Spain, Newcastle fell victim to Real Sociedad's Nihat. The Turkish forward scored the hat trick, with goals in the 30th, 51st and 53rd minutes. Fullback Augustín Aranzabal added the fourth, which turned out to be the match-winner, in the 38th minute.

The Magpies got a 35th minute score from winger Laurent Robert to tie it up at one, but they were unable to make it stick. Starting Newcastle keeper Shay Given, in particular, had a bad day. The defense limited Real Sociedad eight shots overall, with just five on goal, but Given stopped just one of the shots that hit the net. Newcastle actually matched Real Sociedead's eight shots and outshot them on goal with six.

Scottish Premier Division Celtic didn't help itself much either, drawing at home, 2-2, to Greek National A Division side Olympiakos--and they need an injury time score to even get that.

Striker Chris Sutton scored in the 90th minute to spoil the upset attempt by Olympiakos. The Greek club got scores from forward Giovanni and striker Labros Choutos, while midfielder Neil Lennon got Celtic's other score.

As in the Newcastle match, the two sides had matching shot totals, at 10 apiece. Olympiakos put six on goal, though, to Celtic's four.

The draw at Highbury left Arsenal and Lazio in a first place tie in Group A. Cletic and Olympiakos are likewise tied at the back end of the group after their draw.

In Group B, surprising Urkrainian High League squad Shakhtar moved to the top, after a road draw with La Ligue One side Monaco. They have a win and a draw. Real Sociedad and Newcastle are tied in second with a win and a loss, while Monaco brings up the rear with a draw and loss.

There were two other groups in Europe's most prestigious club competition in action Wednesday night that did not include any teams from the British Isles.

In Group C, everyone is tied with a win and a loss after Anderlecht beat PSV in a Lower Countries matchup, while Portuguese Superleague squad Benfica defeated Bundesliga power FC Bayern. Anderlectht won 3-0, while Benfica took their match 2-1.

Group D is all AC Milan right now. The defending Champions League holder won its second match in the group fixture, beating Primera Liga squad Deportivo, 2-0, on Wednesday. Rosenborg got its second draw to put itself in second in the group. The Norwegian side tied with Turkish power Besiktas, 1-1.

Groups A, B, C and D will return to action October 22, a day after the four other groups in the competition resume play.

The current group stage of the Champions League features eight groups of four clubs each, with the top two clubs moving on to the competition playoffs.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-18-2004 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:25 AM   #253
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Mendieta Receives Recognition For Tottenham Goal

MIDDLESBROUGH-- The English Football Association announced the first monthly awards of the new season on Wednesday, and Boro midfielder Gaizka Mendieta was on the roll call.

The midfielder received recognition when his second score against Tottenham in Middlesbrough's season opener was named the Goal of the Month.

Mendieta, who was particularly brilliant that day in scoring two of the Boro's three goals, struck a curling shot from beyond the penalty area that just skirted the left post for a score from some 30 yards out on the play for which he was given the award.

Manchester United midfielder Roy Keane's goal against the Wolves on September 20, and Chelsea striker Hernán Crespo's strike versus Southampton on the same day, were given the second and third awards for goals of the month.

The FA gave out much more prestigious awards on Wednesday, though.

Crespo not only won a goal award for the third best goal of the month, but he also received the English premier Division Player of the Month award for September. The Argentinian star, playing in the Premiership for the first time this year, scored six goals in seven appearances. He drew 16 fouls and had a league-leading 8.29 rating.

Newcastle midfielder Jermaine Jenas received the Young Player of the Month. The 20-year-old continues to establish himself as an up-and-coming young star. Since the season opener, Jenas has posted a 7.43 rating in seven appearances, along with a goal, an assist, a four tackles-per-match average, and nine drawn fouls.

The Manager of the Month award went to Manchester City's Kevin Keegan. City has been one of the surprises of the early season. They currently stand at third in the league table with a 4-2-1 record, and a goal differential of +5.

Old 03-18-2004, 10:42 PM   #254
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

THURSDAY, October 6, 2003

English League & British Isle Round Up

There are other leagues besides the English Premier Division, after all. Here's a look at the tables of the lower English professional leagues, and the top leagues throughout the British Isles.

First Division

Nottingham Forest has simply been dominating in the early going. In eight matches, they have five wins and three draws for a table-topping 18 points. They are tied by Gillingham, which has actually won more matches, six, but unlike Forest, they have actually lost a couple games. Nottingham has a commanding +13 goal differential.

West Bromich Albion is the only former Premiership side in line for the playoffs at the moment. They sit at third with 16 points. Milwall is fourth with 15 points, and Crewe and Burnley round out the six playoff spots, with 14 points each.

Crewe has the second best goal differential in the league with +9. They are particularly notable for having just been elevated to the First Division this season.

Sunderland, another former Premiership squad, also has 14 points, but loses out on goal differential. Last season's third place finisher Sheffield United is off the mark so far, with 12 points.

Forest forwards Marlon Harewood and David Johnson have been incredible, scoring nine and eight goals apiece to easily distance themselves from the rest of the division.

Second Division

Considering they beat Bormingham in the Carling Cup a week ago, it should come as no surprise that Sheffield Wednesday leads this division with 24 points in nine matches. They lead the division with eight wins.

Brighton might be the best team, though. They are second with 23 points, are the only team to have avoided losing so far, and they have a second-best +15 goal differential.

Barnsley is the least impressive of the six playoff squads with a +9 goal differential. Nevertheless, they have played themselves into third with six wins and 20 points.

Colchester, with 18 points, might have an argument for being the best squad, with a division-best +16 goal differential. They have the best offense in the league, lead by pthe division's best player so far in Portsmouth loan Rowan Vine. Vine leads the division with 11 goals and an 8.33 rating.

Rich Rushden & Diamonds and Chesterfield round out the playoff spots with 17 points apiece. Rushden was just promoted from the Third Division.

Third Division

Three sides in particular have really stood out in the early going..Table-topping Cheltenham has 24 points in nine matches. Cheltenham has eight wins so far and the division's best defense, with just three goals allowed, courtesy of goalkeeper Steve Book, with six clean sheets already. Cheltenham also has a good scorer in striker Paul Brayson, with seven goals so far, and are second in the elague with a +17 goal differential.

Hull isn't too far behind, with 23 points and a +15 goal differential. They also get it done with defense, allowing just five goals in nine league matches. Keeper Colin STewart has allowed just three goals in six matches, with four clean sheets. Hull is led by the top threesome in the league, ratings-wise. Forwards Danny Alsopp (seven goals, five assists, 8.22 rating) and Stuart Elliot (two goals, 8.00 rating) lead the ofense, while defender Dasmien Delaney (two goals, 7.89 rating) runs the backline.

The best offense in the division belongs to Cambridge, sitting in fourth with 18 points. Cambridge has scored 25 goals, five more than the next two sides (Cheltenham and Hull), and they also have the third best defense with just six goals conceded. Their +19 goal differential leads the division. Forward Dave Kitson (seven goals, six assists, 7.56 rating) stars on the front line, while midfielder Justin Walker (four goals, two assist, 7.63 rating) might be their best player.

Northampton is in third with 20 points, but their much slimmer +7 goal differential doesn't inspire confidence. Bury is tied with Cambridge with 18 points. In the sixth and seventh playoff spots, Doncaster and Leyton Orient have 17 points each. Leyton Orient looks especially iffy, though--their goal differential in -2.

Torquay forward David Graham leads the division with nine goals, with Doncaster's veteran striker Leo Fortune-West is second with eight goals, and he also has the fourth-best rating at 7.89. Doncaster was elevated to the Third Division this past season.

Nationwide Conference

Scarborough leads the way with 24 points in 10 matches, a division-best +15 goal differential, and the second-best offense in the league with 26 goals. They are led by forwards Mark Quayle (five goals, 8.50 rating) and Chris Senior (five goals, 7.63 rating). Scarborough is the only club which has yet to lose.

Barnet has some strong star power in their division-leading 30 goals of offense, though. They sit in second with 23 points and a +14 goal differential. Striker Ben Strevens leads all of English professional football with 13 goals. He also has three assists, five Man-of-the-Match awards, and a 7.90 rating. Fellow striker Giuliano Grazioli (eight goals, eight assists, 7.80 rating) has been bearly as deadly.

Shrewsbury and Halifax are tied for third with 21 points. They are also the two best defensive sides, so far, with seven goals allowed apiece. Shrewsbury gets the edge with a +12 goal differential, to Halifax's +10. Shrewsbury gets great scoring from forward Colin Cramb (nine goals, three assists)

Chester rounds out the Conference's five playoff spots with 18 points and a +7 goal differential.

Morecambe has been the Conference's most disappointing club. The team which placed second in the division last year and just missed out on promotion in the playoffs has fallen to 20th and a relegation spot. They have just six points and just one win so far.

Telford's striker Lee Mills (eight goals, four Man-of-the-Match awards, 8.67 rating) has been toiling for a squad in the middle of the table so far.

British Isle Top Leagues

Scottish Premier Division

It's early yet, but, surprisingly, Rangers, the division's defending champions, are not among the leaders eight matches into the season.

The traditional Scottish power is sitting at seventh right now, with 10 points and just three wins so far. Overall, they have a +1 goal differential.

Of course, where one may have faltered, the other is doing just fine. Celtic sits atop the Scottish Premier Division with 17 points and a division-best +10 goal differential. Celtic has the best offense and second-best defense in the league currently, with 17 goals scored and just seven conceded.

Celtic's defense is led by Stanislav Varga (two goals, two assists, division-leading 8.17 rating), the SPD Player of the Month in September. Superstar striker Henrik Larsson (four goals, 7.63 rating) leads an offense with several different quality options.

The surprise second place sides are Kilmarnock and Dundee United, both with 15 points and +7 goal differentials.

Kilmarnock has the second best offense and one of the better defenses, led by leading division scorer and striker Paul di Giacomo (five goals, 7.38 rating). He is supported by fellow striker Kris Boyd (four goals), midfielder Gary McDoanld (five assists, 7.75 rating) and defender Peter Canero (one goal, four assists, 7.75 rating), the last of whom will be joining Leicester in a future transfer in January.

Dundee United is the best defensive side in the division so far, with just five goals conceded. The head of the defense is Scott Paterson (7.88 rating), the August Player of the Month in the SPD. Goalkeeper Paul Gallacher has five clean sheets in eight matches.

Dundee sits just behind United and Kilmarnock with 14 points and a +1 goal differential. Dundee has the third-best offense in the league with 15 goals, but needs work on defense (14 goals conceded). Striker Steven Milne (four goals, one assist, 8.00 rating) leads the offense, with playmaker midfielder Garry Brady (one goal, division-leading six assists, 7.75 rating) in support.

Welsh Premier League

Total Network Solutions, which just gave Bundesliga power Werder Bremen all it could handle in the UEFA Cup competition last week, leads the Welsh Premier League with 15 points in six matches. Their +8 goal differential gives them the edge over Welshpool, which also have 15 points, but a +14 goal differential. TNS finished in second in the division last season.

Port Talbot Town sits in third place with 13 points and a division second-best +5 goal differential. Bangor City, one of a handful of Welsh squads with a match in hand on most of the other squads, could leap past Port Talbot Town when the sides have played equal fixtures. Last year's third place squad has the division's best defense so far, sits in fourth place with 11 points and is the only club that has yet to lose in league play.

The surprise of the season so far is defending champion and traditional Welsh power Barry Town. They have a shocking four losses in six matches, including a division-worst -11 goal differential. Their 15th placement leaves them just outside of relegation.

Northern Irish League Premier Division

The boys in Northern Ireland have just begun play, two matches into the season. Glentoran are the defending champions, with Portadown the runner-up.

Irish Premier Division

As usual, the Irish do it their own way. Their top league runs furthest from the English league and has been in its fixture since April. The league playoffs will be run in December.

Cork City tops the table with 52 points in 26 matches. Cork has a league-leading totals of 45 goals and a +20 goal differential. Forwards Kevin O'Doyle (league-leading 13 goals, 7.24 rating) and George O'Callaghan (nine goals, one assist, 7.00 rating) are leading a versatile offense with several quality options. The defense is led by centreback Daniel Murray (one goal, five assists, 7.31 rating), who also does more than his share on offense.

Irish power and defending champions Bohemians sit in second place with 48 points, and they have the advantage of having played in two less matches than Cork City. The Bohemians are tied with St. Pat's Athletic in offense with 40 goals and have the league's best defense with 23 goals conceded. Their +17 goal differential is second behind Cork City. Goalkeeper Séamus Kelly has 10 clean sheets in 24 appearances. The offense is led by forward Glen Crowe (eight goals, 7.29 rating), winger Bobby Ryan (seven goals, six assists, 7.17 rating) and midfielder Stephen Caffrey (four goals, eight assists, 7.26 rating).

Another traditional power in Shelbourne sits in third with 44 points in 24 matches. Shelbourne has a +11 goal differential, and the second-best defense in the league with 24 goals conceded. Winger Richie Baker (four goals, league-leading 11 assists, 7.46 rating) isd the playmaker that keys an offense with four different players with four or more goals scored.

St. Patrick's Athletic and the Shamrock Rovers are tied at fifth with 41 points. St. Pat's Athletic is tied with Bohemians for second in offense with 40 goals, and has a +11 goal differential in 25 matches. For all its offense, St. Pat's best pest players might be fullback Keith Foy (one goal, 10 assists, 7.46 rating) and centreback Colm Foley (three goals, one assist, 7.26 rating). Striker Gary McPhee (nine goals, one assist) and forward David Freeman (seven goals) lead the offense.

The Rovers may be in the best position, as they are in a tie for fourth place with just 22 matches played. Their goal differential, though, is a more pedestrian +6. Strikers Tony Grant (12 goals, 7.00 rating) and Trevor Malloy (10 goals, one assist, 7.00 rating) form the best pair of forwards in the league, and winger Shane Robinson (7 assists, league-leading 7.55 rating) feeds them the ball.

Old 03-19-2004, 01:59 AM   #255
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

European League Round Up

Here is a look around at some of the top European leagues in action so far. Two of the very best, Italy's Serie A and Spain's Primera Liga, however, will not be reviewed here yet, as they are only four and five matches into their seasons, respectively.

Bundesliga--German First Division

Dortmund is off and running. Last year's third place finisher is dominating in the early going of the Bundesliga's First Division. They have yet to lose a match in seven contests so far, and have a goal differential of +16, and 21 points, with a five-point lead. To show how far better they are right now, consider that second place Hertha BSC has a goal differential of +7--and that's the second-best total in the division.

Not surprisingly, Dortmund's goals scored (21) and conceded (five) both lead the division.

Dortmund's strong start has hidden a solid run by Hertha BSC. They have the second best offense (16 goals) and are tied for the second best defense (nine goals conceded). Their 16 points is almost as much ahead of the rest of the pack--four points--as Dortmund is ahead of them.

Two of Germany's traditional superpowers are involved ina three-way tie for third. Levekusen and defending Bundesliga champion FC Bayern both sit at 12 points, with HSV also tied for the position. Leverkusen's +4 goal differential gives them the edge over the other two. They are tied with Hertha BSC for the second-best defense in the division.

FC Bayern hasn't been nearly as dominating as usual. They have a +2 goal differential to open the season and already have three losses in seven matches. Their ten goals conceded remains one of the better ndefensive numbers in the league, which doesn't surprise considering they have world-reknowned German star Oliver Kahn in net.

HSV has a +1 goal differential to bring up the rear of the 12-point squds.

VfB Stuttgart, last year's second place finisher, is off to a poor start, sitting in 13th with eight points and a -3 goal differential.

La Ligue One--French First League

Two clubs sit atop the table in France's top league, but neither of them finished in the top three last year.

Bordeaux and Rennes are tied for first place with 19 points after nine matches. They are getting it done with defense, as they are tied with Ajaccio for the league lead with nine goals conceded.

Bordeaux in particular is getting it done on both ends. The club is also the best in the league in offense, with 21 goals scored, and has a league-leading +12 goal differential. Fullback David Jemmali (two goals, one assist, 7.00 rating) and goalkeeper Ulrich Ramé (two clean sheets, nine goals conceded, 7.00 rating) lead the defense, while striker Darcheville (four goals, one assist, 7.33 rating) and midfielder Eduardo Costa (two goals, three assists, 7.11 rating) head the offense.

Rennes isn't as good on offense (18 goals scored, +9 goal differential overall), but it's the only La Ligue One squad that hasn't lost yet this season. Goalkeeper Petr Cech (three clean sheets, nine goals conceded, 7.13 rating) has been the best keeper in the league so far, and Lyon import forward Tony Vareilles (five goals, three assists, 7.67 rating) is keying a solid offense, with help from winger Philippe Delaye (one goal, three assists, 7.67 rating).

Three clubs are drawn even for third place at 18 points. By goal differential, the best of the bunch is Montpelier, at +8. Montpelier is also second in the league in scoring with 20 goals. Forward Andrés Mendoza (four goals, 7.57 rating) leads the way up front for Montpelier, where he is given aid by one of the better midfields in France, which includes midfielder Bruno Carotti (one goal, three assists, 7.50 rating) and winger Geoffrey Doumeng (three goals, three assists, 7.00 rating).

Montpelier is tied with Monaco, which finished in second last season, and Sochaux. Monaco has a +6 goal differential, and one of the best offenses with 18 goals scored. Real Madrid loan striker Fernando Morientes (five goals, one assist, 7.56 rating) hasd made a quick impact. He is helped by winger Ludovic Giuly (two goals, three assists, 7.63 rating).

Sochaux doesn't look nearly as strong for being tied for third. They have just a +1 goal differential. Sochaux is led by forward Pierre-Alain Frau (five goals, one assist, 7.56 rating) and midfielder Benoît Pedretti (league-leading six assists, 7.67 rating).

Last year's champion Lyon remains a dangerous club in seventh place, with a +5 goal differential that ranks ahead of all but the top four sides. Paris-SG hasn't started off so well (14th, 10 points, -2 GD), but they are a squad to watch with former Bordeaux star striker Pauleta (league-leading seven goals, 7.56 rating), winger Edson Araújo (three assists, league-leading 7.89 rating) and Cruzeiro-loan fullback Juan Pablo Sorin (two goals, five assists, league-leading 7.89 rating).

Greek National A Division

Like the other major warm weather leagues in Italy and Spain, Greece has just gotten underway and are only five matches into the season. Olympiakos, which is causing Celtic problems in the Champions League, is the defending champion of Greece's top division.

Portuguese Superleague

When talking about the Superleague, it's easy to figure Porto, Sporting and Benfica are leading the league, and that isn't far from the truth early this season.

The difference this year, though, at least so far, is that Vitória Guimarâes has leapfrogged the Big Three. Vitória Sport Club is one of just two sides which have yet to lose, through seven matches. The club is playing the best defense in the league so far, with just five goals conceded, and they have 17 points to lead the league. Their +5 goal differential is third best in the league.

The Big Three follow shortly. Porto, the defending Superleague and UEFA Cup champion, and Benfica even have the exact same records, 5-1-1, and goal differential, +7. They are just behind Vitória Sport Club with 16 points each. Porto has the best offense in the league (18 goals), while Benfica has the second-best defense (nine goals conceded) to go along with the second-best offense, at 16 goals.

Sporting sits in fourth with 12 points, but haven't been as solid to start the season, winning just three of their first seven matches. They have a +3 goal differential and the third best offense in the league at 15 goals scored.

Nacional de Madeira sits in fifth, and is the only other Portuguese side without a loss. The difference is that Nacional de Madeira has been involved in five draws already, to go along with two wins. They have a +3 goal differential and 11 points.

Dutch Premier Division

This usually comes down a two-side race between Ajax and PSV, and neither club is waiting too long to get started. Seven matches into the league season, Ajax leads the division with 19 points, and PSV is just behind it with 17 points. The two Dutch superpowers are the only squads that have yet to lose.

Ajax has one more win than PSV, given it the edge in the early going. Ajax has been phenomenal on defense, allowing just two goals to lead the division in defense. Their 16 goals is good for second in the division in offense as well, to go along with a +14 goal differential, even with PSV.

PSV leads the league in offense with 18 goals, and isn't much worse than AJax defensively, with just four goals conceded.

The goal numbers and differential show a big difference, but the season hasn't gone long enough for the top two clubs to pull away yet. Third place belongs to Herenveen with 14 points. Although their 11 goals isn't too impressive, Herenveen's seven goals conceded is good for third in the league.

FC Utrecht and RKC round out the top five at 12 points each. Utrecht has the third best goal differential with +6 and ranks among league leaders in both offense and defense, while RKC has gotten by more on defense and moxie, with a -1 goal differential.

The actual story of the early season might be the disappointing performance of Feyenoord. Last season's third place finisher, Feyenoord won the UEFA Cup in 2001-02 and looked like it would be joining Ajax and PSV atop the division as the top dogs. The club is scoring well, with 15 goials, and their goal differential of +3 is respectable, but a somewhat loose defense (12 goals conceded) has kept them in eighth place with 10 points.

Turkish Premier Division

After a year when they fell out of the top three, Turkish power Fenerbahçe seems to want to return to the top of the table.

They are leading the division in the early going with 22 points and a second=best +11 goal differential. They have the third best offense with 20 goals and are tied with two other squads for the best defense, with nine goals conceded. The squad is led by striker Akin Serhat (league-leading six goals, one assist, 7.89 rating), winger Aslan Kemal (two goals, four assists, league-leading 8.25 rating) and Bursaspor transfer winger Alkan Ender (two goals, six assists, league-leading 8.25 rating). That's right, it's the Akin, Aslan and Alkan show.

Traditional power Galatsaray sits in second place with 20 points. The Turkish superpower leads the league with 23 goals and is one of the two clubs tied with Fenerbahçe for the league-lead on defense, with nine goals conceded. Obviously, it has a division-best +14 goal differential. Former Blackburn striker Hakan Sukur (league-leading six goals, three assists, 8.13 rating) has settled into the Turkish Premier Division just fine. He gets support from Inter loan winger Buruk Okan (three goals, league-leading seven assists, 7.88 rating) and forward Hasan Sas (three goals, four assists, 7.75 rating).

Gençlerbirligi finished last season in third place and seems content to move back to that spot this year. They are tied with Trabzonspor with 16 points, and gain the edge with a +7 goal differential. Gençlerbirligi has the second-best offense in the league, with 21 goals scored. Forwards Souleymane Youla (five goals, 7.38 rating) and Cihan Veysel (four goals, two assists, 7.38 rating) do the work up front while winger Marcel Mbayo (one goal, five assists, 7.63 rating) and midfielder Balci Serkan (three goals, three assists, 7.63 rating) deliver the passes.

Trabzonspor hasn't been as impressive in their matches, but have won enough to stay tied for third. They have a +4 goal differential. Forwards Yilmaz Mehmet (five goals, 7.63 rating) and Augustine (five goals, 7.38 rating) lead a strong offense.

One club to watch is fifth place Besiktas, the defending champion. With a +6 goal differential that is better than all but four clubs, they are still a threat to keep an eye on. They are the third squad that has allowed a league-low nine goals, along with Fenerbahçe and Galatsaray, and their 15 goals scored isn't bad either. Goalkeeper Oscar Córdoba (three clean sheets, nine goals conceded, 7.13 rating) leads the defense. A playmaking midfield led by wingers Uzulmez Ibrahim (one goal, five assists, 7.25 rating) and Koç Okan (3 assists, 7.13 rating) helps run an offense that goes through striker Ilhan Mansiz (four goals, one assist, 7.63 rating).

Other League Leaders

Belgian First Division

1st Club Brugge (6-1-0, +16, 19 pts)
2nd Standard (4-3-0, +8, 15 pts)
3rd Anderlecht (5-0-2, +7, 15 pts)

Czech First Division

1st Sparta Prague (8-1-0, +13, 25 pts)
2nd Banik Ostrava (6-2-1, +11, 20 pts)
3rd Brno (5-2-2, +4, 17 pts)

Swiss Super League

1st Basel (7-2-2, +12, 23 pts)
2nd Servette (6-3-2, +1, 21 pts)
3rd Thun (5-2-4, 0, 17 pts)

Ukrainian High League

1st Dinamo Kiev (12-0-0, +28, 36 pts)
2nd Chornomorets (8-1-3, +16, 25 pts)
3rd Shakhtar (7-2-3, +13, 23 pts)

Israeli Premier League

The IPL is just three matches into its season.

Austrian Premier Division

1st Rapid Vienna (11-0-2, +14, 33 pts)
2nd Austria Vienna (8-2-3, +14, 26 pts)
3rd Salzburg (7-2-3, +3, 23 pts)

Polish First Division

1st Lech (4-2-1, +3, 14 pts)
2nd Wisla Plock (4-1-2, +5, 13 pts)
3rd Legia (4-1-2, +4, 13 pts)

Russian Premier Division

1st CSKA Moscow (18-3-4, +29, 57 pts)
2nd Lokomotiv Moscow (18-3-3, +29, 57 pts)
3rd Krylja Sovetov (13-7-5, +9, 46 pts)

Serbia & Montenegro First Division

1st Red Star (7-0-1, +13, 21 pts)
2nd Vojvodina (6-0-2, +10, 18 pts)
3rd Partizan (5-2-1, +11, 17 pts)

Norwegian Premier Division
*-- clinched division championship

1st Rosenborg* (19-1-3, +29, 58 pts)
2nd Stabćk (12-4-7, +10, 40 pts)
3rd Tromso (10-8-5, +11, 37 pts)

Croatian First Division

1st Hajduk (6-2-1, +13, 20 pts)
2nd Rijeka (6-2-1, +9, 20 pts)
3rd Dinamo (6-1-2, +8, 19 pts)

Swedish Premier Division

1st AIK (18-1-4, +27, 55 pts)
2nd IFK Göteborg (14-6-3, +18, 48 pts)
3rd Halmstad (12-4-7, +11, 40 pts)

Danish Eredivisie

1st Brondby (9-0-2, +15, 27 pts)
2nd Odense Boldklub (7-2-2, +10, 23 pts)
3rd FC Nordsjćlland (5-3-3, +6, 18 pts)

Old 03-19-2004, 02:43 AM   #256
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Woohoo! Nice roundup. No Spanish reports, though?

By the way, did the game do these roundups for you or did you manually do them yourself?
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 02:58 AM   #257
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I did them myself. Yeah, it took a while, but it was actually fun, because I don't know many of these teams from any other teams. I am beginningto recognize the names of the best ones from even the smaller leagues, though, which is cool.

You might have missed it up at the top of the European league round up. I said I would hold off on doing the Primera Liga and Serie A because they are too early in their fixtures (4-5 matches). I'll get to them next time. In fact, they will be at the top of the list.

If you're wondering how I listed the leagues in the order I did, I went straight down the UEFA coefficients page, figuring the "best" leagues are at the top and the lower leagues at the bottom.

CR

Old 03-19-2004, 04:20 AM   #258
daedalus
Pro Rookie

D'oh! My bad. I did missed it. I was too eager and started reading the roundups right away.

Sorry about that.

Good reads, though.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:09 PM   #259
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SATURDAY, October 4, 2003

Middlesbrough (2-1-4) at Bolton (2-2-3)

When: 3:00 p.m.
Where: Reebok Stadium, Bolton
Forecast:
Middlesbrough Out: DC Ugo Ehiogu, ML Allan Johnston
Bolton Out: DC Florent Laville, MC Gareth Farrelly, MC Jay Jay Okocha

Outlook: While the Wanderers' last match was a 2-0 loss to Blackburn last week, they were on a solid run before that, with a four-match nonloss streak, including their Carling Cup win over Scunthorpe. They haven't shown themselves to be a very strong offensive side, with just seven goals in league play, nor better than mediocre defensively, with 11 goals conceded. But any team is tough at home, and the Boro aren't exactly playing at top form either. Middlesbrough is working on a four-match non-win streak in league play, stretching back to their last victory, a 3-1 tally over Fulham in August. Midfielder Juninho's 80the minute goal ina 2-1 loss to Leicester last week was the Boro's first goal since that Fulham match. Both teams come in pretty beat up with serious injuries. Jay Jay Okocha will be ready to return soon, but isn't quite ready for this one.

FA Barclaycard Premiership Game of the Round

Blackburn (4-1-2) at Manchester United (4-1-2) Considering they lost two of their first seven matches, they were drawn in their last match by recent First Division promotee Portsmouth, and they were shocked by Lokomotiv Moscow in the Champions League, drawing at Old Trafford with the Russian Premier Division squad, United isn't exactly playing at top form so far this season. Of course, a bad season for them so far still has them in fourth. Still, this is a statement game for the Red Devils, who wlecome upstart top-five contender Blackburn to Old Trafford today. Blackburn is actually tied with Manchester United, behind only in goal differential, so the winner of this match will have a leg up on the competition to break into the league's top three. The Rovers are playing well, with four wins in their past six matches and just one loss, a 4-2 drop to Leicester on September 20. This match is as much an opportunity for them as it is a must-win for Man U.

The Rest of the Matches

Portsmouth at Arsenal
Wolverhampton at Aston Villa
Middlesbrough at Bolton
Birmingham at Charlton
Newcastle at Chelsea
Fulham at Everton
Tottenham at Leeds
Manchester City at Leicester
Liverpool at Southampton

Old 03-19-2004, 11:12 PM   #260
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SUNDAY, October 5, 2003

It Worked!

Kieta's Threats Find A Receptive Audience As Boro Roll Wanderers, 3-0

BOLTON-- Maybe the roster isn't going to be shipped out so quickly after all.

Four days after interim Boro manager Matthew Kieta threatened the team with an all-around transfer, the squad showed him they might have some guys he would want to keep when they made their scoring chances work against Bolton, 3-0, Saturday.

It wasn't nearly as flawless as the score would seem, as Bolton outshot the Boro, generally controlled the ball and forced goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer to make six saves in front of 26,564 at Reebok Stadium, but Middlesbrough made good on three of its four shots on goal.

"I don't feel we dominated this match like I think we could, but it's hard to argue with results," Kieta said after the match, which elevated the Boro to 13th in the English Premier League, while dropping Bolton to 18th and a relegation spot.

Although the scoring chances were few, they were high quality, as the Boro used an adjusted tactic and good midfield play to break off a number of one-on-one opportunities with their strikers and Bolton goalkeeper Jussi Jääskeläinen.

Rather than go with the 4-4-2 Attack, the Boro took off the fullbacks, added another centreback in front of the box, and employed a defensive midfielder for the first time this season. Early returns seem good.

"I think this [tactic] might better suit this squad," Kieta said. "We aren't deep at fullback and we have some talent issues there as well. But we have a lot of centrebacks and midfielders, which are heavy needs in this new tactic. Plus, it allows me to get [defensive midfielder George] Boateng on the pitch more."

The steady Boateng was a regular player with the Boro last season, but has found himself on the bench more often this year in favor of more offensive midfielders. Boateng specializes in controlling the back end of the middle of the pitch.

On Saturday, Boateng was one of several players to play well for Middlesbrough, garnering a 7 rating, a tackle, three interceptions and even a run. It was his second start and fifth appearance of the league season.

The Boro got going early in the match, in the 11th minute.

After centreback Gareth Southgate headed a Wanderers' clear out pass toward winger Boudewijn Zenden at the halfway line fifteen yards from the left touchline, the Dutch winger moved across the line through a seam in Bolton's defense. He nudged the ball forward to midfielder Stewart Downing, a winger who was getting a shot at one of the middle spots this match. Downing took the ball and charged the rest of the way toward the penalty area. Fullback Danny Livesey was marking Downing, and forced the midfielder to kick it forward too far and into the penalty area. The play appeared over as Jääskeläinen stepped forward to grab it. But he failed to control the rolling ball, allowing Downing to step forward and blast it into the open net for the opening score. It was Downing's first ever goal in Premiership play.

The Boro weren't done in the first half, although they took a while to wind it up again.

With mere seconds left in the half, they had another great scoring chance, courtesy of Juninho. After winger Michae Ricketts headed a Bolton corner kick out to the right of the pitch, Juninho got to the ball first and sent a long diagonal cross pitch to forward Joseph-Désiré Job running along the left touchline. Midfielder Per Frndsen was marking Job, though, and made a nice tackle on the pass to send the ball up further toward the left corner. With a step on Job, Frandsen got to the ball well before Job, seeming to end the chance. But then Frandsen sent a head-high cross pitch pass to winger Ricardo Gardner ont he other touchline. It turned out to be a very bad decision, as Juninho, whom had crossed into the center of the pitch, made a brilliant move forward and headed the pass toward the penalty area. Centreback Emerson Thome was closing in on Juninho as he charged into the penalty area, but the Brazilian forward had a step. Jääskeläinen charged out of the net at Juninho, but the savvy veteran just struck a high pass that sailed over the Bolton keeper and dropped right into the back of the net for the Boro's second score. Juninho's score was his squad-leading third of the season.

In a match that seemed to go out of its way to please anyone who had expressed displeasure at recent events in Middlesbrough, the Boro's third score in the 85th minute fit right in. Juninho won a challenge with Thome at the halfway lien and proceeded up to the right touchline. With Juninho drawing attention from both Thome and Livesey up there, substitue striker Massimo Maccarone was free to make a forward run down the center of the pitch. Juninho lofted a perfect pass right onto Maccarone, splitting the widely-turned centrebacks as he charged into the penalty area. Jääskeläinen made another attempt to charge out at the attacker, but once again it didn't work. Rather than loft the ball over the keeper as Juninho did, Maccarone instead struck a low shot that blasted past Jääskeläinen to his right and slammed into the net for his second goal of the season.

Maccarone has been unsettled most of the season after Kieta criticized him for a poor performance in the season opener against Tottenham in AUgust. Saturday may have been the striker's best of the season so far, and it could have been even better if he had capitalized on a second half pass from winger Lionel Morgan that was very similar to his later goal. Unfortunately, he put that shot well over the goal.

"I liked the way Massimo went to the goal today," Kieta said. "That's the kind of thing we need from him."

For all the nice scoring plays the Boro put up, though, the best man on the pitch turned out to be Schwarzer. Bolton put six of seven shots on net, and Schwarzer made some big saves to preserve his third clean sheet of the season. Among those saves was a point blank clutch off of a corner kick header, and a great leap to the right post to catch a long, curling shot.

Schwarzer was given the Man of the Match award for his efforts.

On Tuesday, Kieta called the Bolton match "absolutely critical", with several top Premiership squad matchups following it for the Boro. The squad will now have a new burst of confidence going into the latest two-week break for international play.

When the Boro return to league action, they will be welcoming powerful Manchester United to the Riverside Stadium on October 18, and then they go to Highbury for a match with table-topping superpower Arsenal on October 25.

Zenden Injury Is Minor

Boro supporters got a scare when winger loan Boudewijn Zenden had to leave the pitch in the 61st minute after he collided with Bolton forward Ibrahim Ba on a hard aerial challenge.

Ba came in hard on a header pass to Zenden and hit the winger's arm. Zenden had to leave the pitch, where he was replaced by Lionel Morgan.

Zenden, however, was later diagnosed to have just a lightly sprained wrist caused when Ba hit him. It isn't going to keep him out of practice, much less a match.

Zenden also had a slight calf pull in the 30th minute that needed brief off-pitch treatment from squad physio Grant Downie, but he returned quickly and said after the match the injury was far less serious or painful than his wrist injury.

Despite Bolton's best efforts to jar him, Zenden continued to be the Boro's top playmaker, picking up his team-leading fourth assist in league play on Downing's score.

Under-19's Edge Out Boston United

By all rights, Boston United should have left The Stadium in Billingham with a win over the Boro youth squad, but they couldn't figure out goalkeeper and squad captain David Knight in a 1-0 win for the Boro.

Knight made six saves and held up for the clean sheet, his fourth in seven appearances with the Under-19 squad. He received the Man of the Match award.

Striker Danny Reed got the only score in the match, putting in the match-winner in the 54th minute. Boston United outshot Middlesbrough, 6-4, with the Boro getting just three shots on goal.

The youth squad's win was its fifth in a row, and they are currently third in their division with a 5-0-1 record and +8 goal differential.

Club Makes Changes To First Team, Reserves

The elevation of defender Stuart Parnaby tot he first team this week, and the loan out of reserve Craig Dove to Second Division Grimsby has left the Boro a little short on their reserve squad.

Under-19 forward Nilas Nordgren, a well-regarded 18-year-old Swedish prospect, got the call up after some stellar play with the Boro's youngest squad. Nordgren had two goals, an assist and a 7.50 rating in six matches with the Under-19s.

Nordgren will likely go to a backup role behind strikers Chris Garbutt and Danny Graham, whom have excelled this season for the reserves.

Nordgren didn't move up alone. Andrew O'Shea, a 19-year-old fullback and winger was also elevated. O'Shea was solid with the Under-19 squad, if not spectacular. In five appearances, O'Shea put up a 6.60 rating and went scoreless. His defensive play has been solid, though, with 2.40 tackles per match, and he has drawn a surprising six fouls.

Parnaby, who has been practicing with the first team all week, wasn't selected for the lineup against Bolton, but interim Boro manager Matthew Kieta said Parnaby would see spot duty at minimum in the near future.

Four Boro Players Called To International Duty

Several Boro players were given notice of their homelands' needs to have them play for the national sides in the upcoming last round of matches in the European Championships Qualifying on Saturday.

The competition to get into Europe's premier national competition last season concludes next Saturday.

Centreback Gareth Southgate was called up to again serve as a backup on England's side in the national team's critical match with Turkey in Istanbul.

Striker Szilard Németh will also be playing with his Slovakian national team, for whom he starts.

Winger Boudewijn Zenden was called up to Holland's national side. He is a key reserve, but he didn't see the pitch in the national side's two matches last month.

Defender Brian Close, a starter for Northern Ireland, will also be playing for his country next weekend.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-19-2004 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-20-2004, 02:56 AM   #261
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SUNDAY, October 5, 2003

FA Barclaycard Action Recap

Arsenal 1, Portsmouth 0 The Gunners have a three-match winning streak now after opening the season with a four-match win streak, but they didn't make it easy on themselves, putting just four of their 14 shots on goal. Forward Sylvain Wiltord put in the difference-maker with just seconds left in the first half. The Pompey only had four shots, but because they put them all on goal, they actually matched the Gunners' on-goal totals. They failed to beat Gunners keeper Jens Lehmann, though, who earned his fourth clean sheet of the season. Lehmann got the Man of the Match. Portsmouth's loss was their first since a 4-1 drop to Leeds in August, and their lossless treak included a 0-0 draw at home with Manchester United last week.

Aston Villa 3, Wolverhampton 0 A week after stunning Newcastle at St. James Park, Villa returned home and dominated the Wolves like a superpower. Of course, this might be as much because Wolverhampton isn't one of the better squads in the league. In fact, they have yet to win a Premiership match, extending their winless streak to eight matches on Saturday. The Villans outshot the wolves 16-2, including a 10-2 on-goal advantage. Midfielder Gavin McCann scored his second goal of the season in the 13th minute to open things up. Fellow midfielder Thomas Hitzlsperger jumped on the rebound from his own failed penalty shot in the 36th minute and scored to put Villa up by two. Then striker Darius Vassell scored his fourth goal of the season in the 82nd minute to add the final touch to Aston Villa's win. Hitzlesperger got the Man of the Match, with a goal, an assist, two shots on goal, one drawn foul, one interception and two tackles.

Middlesbrough 3, Bolton 0 The Boro broke out of their funk in style. Coming into the contest with a four-match losing streak and having scored just one goal during that streak, the Boro were due for a break out. Midfielder Stewart Downing opened the scoring with his first ever strike in the 11th minute. The Boro extended their lead with a Juninho goal--his third of the season--right before the end of the first half. Striker Massimo Maccarone finished off the scoring with his second goal of the season in the 8th minute. Despite the score, it was Bolton leading th way in shots, 7-6, and shots on goal, 6-4. They alo did most of the ball control. Still, they couldn't figure out Boro keeper Mark Schwarzer. Schwarzer saved all six shots and earned himself the Man of the Match award.

Birmingham 1, Charlton 0 With the Addicks' four-match lossless streak going up against the Blues' five-match one, this was likely going to be the end of one of those runs. Despite playing at home and outshooting the Blues 11-7, it turned out to be Charlton. Birmingham striker Mikael Forsell got the only goal of the match in the 40th minute, his second of the season. That proved to be the difference, as Maik Taylor faced off four shots on goal for his third league clean sheet. Forsell got the Man of the Match with the goal, two shots on goal, three interceptions and a drawn foul. Birmingham's win keeps them in second place, as probably the league's early surprise sensation.

Chelsea 2, Newcastle 1 For as much talent as they have, it can only be true to say that usually powerful Newcastle has fallen into a rut. Despite dominating the play on the pitch at Stamford Bridge Saturday, the Magpies lost their third straight league match. In fact, they haven't won in league since beating Manchester United at home. Saturday, they outshot the Blues 13-6, and allowed just three shots on goal, but Chelsea made two of those shots count. Adrian Mutu scored his first goal of the season in the third minute, and then Chelsea keeper Carlo Cudicini kept the Magpies out of the goal for most of the match. Premiership leading scorer Hernán Crespo put it away with his seventh goal in the 78th minute. Forward Craig Bellamy finally figured Cudicini, who got the Man of the Match, in the 86th minute, but by then it was too late.

Fulham 1, Everton 0 It was a huge day for the Cottagers. Not only did Fulham get its first win of the year, it vaulted past Wolverhampton and out of last place in the Premiership. Everton, meanwhile, which came into the season with such hopes, continues to be one of the bigger enigmas around, as it struggles for consistency. Being Fulham's first victim--and at home--is probably the squad's low point so far. Forward Malik Buari scored the match-winner and his first goal of the season in the 72nd minute, after the two sides locked in a bitter defensive battle in which just ten shots were taken. Fulham goalkepper Edwin van der Sar picked up the Man of the Match after stopping four Blues' shots for his second clean sheet of the year.

Leeds 1, Tottenham 1 Leeds did all they could to hand this one to the Cockerels, but it turns out Tottenham wasn't up to task. Despite having defender Dominic Matteo take an early shower after grabbing too strong a handhold in forward Frédéric Kanouté's shirt in the eighth minute, Leeds almost rode a 12th minute score by forward Alan Smith to a man-down victory. In fact, the Cockerels needed a penalty score by winger Rohan Ricketts in the 84th minute to finally figure out Leeds' defense. Tottenham outshot United 11-9, but Leeds had the on-goal advantage at 7-5. In fact, despite the disadvantage, Leeds shot enough to force Tottenham keeper Kasey Keller to earn his Man of the Match award.

Leicester 1, Manchester City 0 It shows how far the Foxes have come along that they won this one. City hasn't lost a league match since the season opener, and with Birmingham is one of the league's two big surprises this season. Leicester, meanwhile, is fresh off promotion from the First Division, but they are acting like this is easy now. After beating City Saturday, they are working on a three-match winning streak, and are suddenly sitting at a very respectable seventh in the Premiership. Moving everything into the sublime is the fact the match's only goal was an own goal by Man City centreback David Sommeil, whom has been one of the better defenders in the league this season. The accidental goal in the 26th minute was the difference in a match that had 23 total shots, with 13 on goal. Leicester keeper Ian Walker earned his first clean sheet and the Man of the Match after stopping five shots on goal by Manchester City.

Manchester United 3, Blackburn 0 Even if the strong wind and wet weather didn't blow the Rovers out of Old Trafford, United was certainly strong enough to do so on its own. Despite coming into the match as competitors for the similar positions in the league table, Manchester United treated Blackburn like a has-been, allowing just one shot while taking 13, and keeping the ball in the Rovers' defensive third of the pitch 36% of the running time. United's win coupled with Manchester City's loss allowed the superpower to move into third in the league. Winger Ryan Giggs and midfielder Paul Scholes both hit late first half scores to get the ball rolling. Forward Ole Gunnar Solskjćr finished things off with his first goal of the season in the 89th minute. Scholes got the Man of the Match with five shots, four on goal--one of which went in, four drawn fouls, one run, one interception and four tackles.

Southampton 1, Liverpool 1 This one was about as even as you could get. The Saints had 10 shots to the Reds' nine, and a five to four on-goal advantage. Their scores came just six minutes apart. And in the end, neither did much to move up or down in the league standings. Southampton striker James Beattie scored his fifth goal of the season in the 55th minute, but Reds forward Emile Heskey tied it up int he 61st minute with his second of the year. In addition to the goal, Heskey put three shots on goal, drew a foul, had a run and an interception, and also dominated in the air, with 13 of 19 headers won, for the Man of the Match.

Injuries & Suspensions

Among several minor to medium-level injuries, the worst was to Fulham midfielder Junichi Inamoto. The loan from Japan's Gamba broke his wrist in the 27th minute of the Cottagers' first win of the season. He will miss two weeks, making him questionable for Fulham's next league match.

Newcastle forward Craig Bellamy got the Magpies' lone goal Saturday, but he also picked up a groin strain that tightened up on him after the match. The forward will be out for a week. Charlton goalkeeper Dean Kiely also finished his match, but he suffered a minor neck sprain and will be out five days.

Villa midfielder Gavin McCann picked up a bruised rib in the squad's win over the Wolves, but he will miss just three days. Liverpool striker Milan Baros had to leave the match against Southampton in the 20th minute, but his arm injury was minor and will keep him out of training for just a couple days.

The rest of the injuries were day to day.

It turned out to be a big day for suspensions.

The most notable punishment was assessed to Newcastle midfielder Lee Bowyer. Perhaps frustrated with his squad's inability to beat keeper Carlo Cudicini in the Magpies' 2-1 loss to Chelsea, the midfielder threw a vicious elbow into Blues' winger Damien Duff's face during injury time on Saturday. The vicious attack saw immediate action from the English Football Association, which tabbed on another two matches to the automatic one-match ban Bowyer received when he was booted off of the pitch with a red card.

The other notable red card was given to Leeds defender Dominic Matteo, who was removed from United's match with Tottenham in the just the eighth minute after holding back forward Frédéric Kanouté by his shirt. Despite that, Leeds went on to draw the Cockerels.

There were also a couple five-yellow-card suspensions given out on Saturday. The most cruel was given to Manchester City centreback David Sommeil. He accidentally scored an own goal that proved to be the only goal int he 1-0 loss to Leicester, and then he got his fifth yellow card and an automatic one-match ban--as if his own embarassment at the own goal wasn't enough.

Southampton fullback Graeme Le Saux also picked up his fifth yellow card and will miss the Saints' next league match.

Old 03-20-2004, 03:34 PM   #262
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

WEDNESDAY, October 8, 2003

Boro May Stick With New Tactic

MIDDLESBROUGH-- The new tactic the Boro used against Bolton on Saturday may be around for a while, interim manager Matthew Kieta said at his weekly press conference Tuesday.

"LIke I said on Saturday, I think this is a tactic which is better suited to our strengths," Kieta said.

The Boro scored three goals, matching their season best, in a 3-0 win over Bolton on Saturday, in a match Kieta said last week was "absolutely critical".

The new tactic is an adjustement of the 4-4-2 attack formation Middlesbrough was using for most of the regular season up until Saturday. While that tactic helped bring early success to the team, the club had recently gone through a three-match scoreless streak.

In the new formation, the fullbacks are removed in favor of a third centreback and a defensive midfielder. It also calls for more shallow forward runs by the wings and midfield.

"We have a lot of central defenders, including some guys we have tried to force into fullback roles," Kieta said. "And we also have plenty of quality midfielders to help fill those spots."

The new defensive midfield role would seem to be ideally suited to George Boateng, whom started for the Boro for much of last season, but had only started one match going into Saturday's win. Boateng is considered a steady and reliable player with strong defensive skills, but a limited option on offense.

The third centreback role went to Danny Mills on Saturday, and Salvatore Fresi is also expected to see a lot of time there. Although Mills is versatile enough to play in a number of different positions on the pitch, the change could be a boon for Fresi, who is a much better central defender than fullback.

The formation, should the Boro stick with it, would also be a boon for when commanding defender Ugo Ehiogu comes back from a knee injury in January. With captain Gareth Southgate and promising young centreback Chris Riggott playing well in the middle, there was concern for how Ehiogu--widely considered the team's best defneder--would work his way back in. This formation practically hands him a starting role when he returns.

"Ugo is coming along fine," Kieta said. "I am looking forward to seeing what he can do on the pitch. In fact, he has been walking around some without crutches and might even be able to begin some light training soon."

Kieta said he was particularly pleased with the all around performances by his offensive players on Saturday, who made good on three of the four shots on goal they took.

"I would have liked to test [Bolton goalkeeper Jussi] Jääskeläinen some more, but I can't say we didn't make it work," Kieta said of his team's attack.

The Boro made up inquality for what they lacked in quantity, using key forward breaks to the penalty area, solid forward running by the midfield and wings and well-placed passes to put together some very strong opportunities.

Coming into the match, the Boro had scored just one goal in the past four league matches. On Saturday, they got scores from forward Juninho, midfielder Stewart Downing and striker Massimo Maccarone.

Kieta refused to address the Boro's next match, a visit from superpower Manchester United on October 18.

"Right now, my guys are in training during a two-week break while the internationals take care of themselves," Kieta said. "Manchester United is almost two weeks away. I would prefer my guys work hard to keep them saves in shape than spend time worrying about that bunch."

Manchester United beat Blackburn, 3-0, on Saturday to move up to third in the English premier Division table, its highest position this season.

Boro Reserves Fall To Forest

The Boro reserves lost their three-match point streak on Tuesday after they lost, 1-0, at The Stadium in Billingham to First Division Nottingham Forest's reserve squad.

Forest came prepared to play, outshooting the Boro 10-6, and 6-2 in shots on goal. The only score came in the 44th minute, when Forest forard Matt Bodkin got the match-winner.

Boro goalkeeper Sam Russell was the best player on the pitch, earning a Man of the Match award, although in the end it wasn't enough to stop Nottingham Forest from leaving with the win.

Striker Chris Garbutt had by far his worst match of the season. After scoring five goals int he reserves' last two matches, he was held to one off-goal shot and was dominated in the air, where he failed to win a single header. Raters gave the reserve forward just a 2 rating.

It was the reserves' first match without defender Stuart Parnaby, whom was elevated to the first team, and striker Craig Dove, who was shipped out on loan to Grimsby Town. Under-19 players midfielder Andrew O'Shea and striker Niklas Nordgren have been added to the squad, but weren't selected on Tuesday.

The reserves are now 3-1-2 and in fifth in their reserve division with 10 points and a +6 goal differential.

Old 03-21-2004, 05:20 AM   #263
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SATURDAY, October 11, 2003

England To Meet Turkey For Spot In Euros Today

ISTANBUL, Turkey-- England's most important match in the past two years will be played today at Inônű, the home stadium of Turkey, the national team the English need to beat to secure an automatic spot in next year's European Championships.

England comes into the match just one point behind Turkey in the Group Seven table, with just today's match left to play. Although both national teams have clinched playoff spots at the very least, the big prize awaits.

The top team in the group, one of ten five-team groupings of European national teams in the Euro qualifications group stage, gets an automatic entry into the 2004 European Championships, Europe's most prestigious international competition. The second place squad, however, will have to play a two-leg round with one of the other groups' second-place finishers to earn the remaining five spots. In all, sixteen squads compete in the championships, with host Portugal receiving an automatic bid.

England beat Turkey, 2-0, at Wembley Stadium on April 2 in the first meeting of the two squads. That would give them the upperhand if they had been as successful against the other teams in their group. While Turkey has swept all three of Slovakia, FYR of Macedonia and Liechtenstein, England has had mystifying difficulties with Macedonia, drawing with them twice, including last month. The draws put England ina must win situation to get the automatic spot, while Turkey needs only not lose--and at home, too.

"We put ourselves into this position," England manager Sven-Göran Eriksson said. "It's up to us pull this one out. Turkey is no slouch. This is going to be a very tough match."

On top of Turkey and a cadre of loyal Turkish fans, England will also have to deal with the weather. It is expected to be a wet, soggy day in Istanbul today.

Boro centreback Gareth Southgate is on England's roster, although he is a little used reserve.

Lewington Hurt In Training

Boro reserve fullback Dean Lewington suffered a groin strain in training Friday and will be out for two weeks.

The fullback, who also does work as a midfielder, has been a regular for the reserve squad this season since he was acquired from First Division Wimbledon in August.

In six matches with the reserves, the 19-year-old prospect has a goal and a 7.00 average rating. He also is averaging 3.17 tackles per match and has drawn five fouls.

Lewington was acquired with defender Mikele Leigertwood and left winger Lionel Morgan from Wimbledon after the First Division squad went into receivers. All three are considered strong prospects, with Morgan already playing with the first team.

Old 03-21-2004, 06:45 PM   #264
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SUNDAY, October 12, 2003

Portugal, Here We Come!

England Clinches Automatic Spot In The 2004 European Championships With Big Win Over Turkey

ISTANBUL, Turkey-- If he gets England's national team to play this way in Portugal next year, England manager Sven-Göran Eriksson won't have to worry about job security for a while.

The national team scored a huge 4-0 win over fellow European Championship Qualifier Group Seven squad Turkey in front of 20,857 at Inônű Stade in Istanbul on Saturday.

The win earns England the automatic berth given to each champion of the ten groupings in the qualifying rounds. England finished the eight-match fixture of Group Seven with 20 points, edging out Turkey at 18. Turkey will now be entered into a playoff to determine the final five spots in the 16-team European Championships tournament to be held in Portugal next summer, held with allt en second-place teams from the group stage.

"I can't say enough for how these guys showed up today," Eriksson said. "They really wanted it, so they went out and grabbed it."

England came into the match needing a win to grab the automatic spot. Although England had a 2-0 win over Turkey in the books from last April, two draws against FYR of Macedonia left the Brits a point behind Turkey going into the match. Turkey swept Macedonia, and both sides swept Slovakia and Liechtenstein, the other two nations in Group Seven.

Despite the powerful Turkish squad, the presence of a cadre of rabid fans for the home squad and a rain that made conditions difficult at best, England dominated the match, outshooting Turkey 16-9, with aa shots on goal to four. England also did most of the ball control, keeping it in Turkey's defensive thrid of the pitch 30% of the running time, asopposed to just 21% in their own.

Still, England didn't put it away right away. After England got an early score from Southampton's James Beattie, they didn't start to put it away until the 71st minute, when star winger David Beckham scored to put the English up 2-0. Liverpool striker Emile Heskey finished off the scoring in the late going, with two goals in the last ten minutes of the match.

Beattie, who would go on to earn the Man of the Match award, beat several defenders to secure England's opening goal. Arsenal fullback Ashley Cole struck a high centering pass from the left corner and onto the outer edge of the six yard box. Despite being marked by no less than four Turkish defenders, Beattie got up to the ball first and headed a strike almost right at Turkish goalkeeper Reçber Rustu of Spain's Barcleona. The shot came faster than Rustu apparently realized, blasting over his left shoulder and into the net before he could react.

"I think it just caught him by surprise," Beattie said. "I was able to angle my head a little better to get it off hard. Ashley's pass came int hat way, just perfect for me to pull it off."

Beattie finished with a goal and an assist, to go along with four shots on goal and five drawn fouls. He was also very strong in the air, winning 15 of 20 headers and playing out a weakness that would hurt the Truks later in the match as well.

The second score that finally allowed England some breathing room came from Real Madrid's Beckham. The popular star winger has made his living on scoring passes from crosses and set pieces, so it should come as no surprise that is how he would score here.

Beckham was called upon to hit a direct freekick from the right outer corner of the penalty area after fullback Korkmaz Bulent of Galatsaray pushed down Heskey in the 71st minute. Beckham hit a hard strike at the right post, where forward Nihat of Real Sociedad was guarding the edge of the net. The shot went off of Nihat's shoulder, bounced off of Rustu charging up the line and into the back of the net for a very frustrating score for the Turks.

Heskey finished off the scoring in the 81st and 86th minutes. In the first score, Beckham sent a centering cross-pitch pass to Beattie, who was ten yards outside of the penalty area. Beattie deftly headed the ball forward to Heskey, who was charging into the right end of the area. With a step on fullback Hasan Unsal of Galatsaray, it was Heskey versus Rustu. The goalkeeper came off his line to close down the Liverpool forward, but Heskey took advantage of the move and hit a soft floater over Rustu and into the back end of the net.

The second score demonstrated Turkey's problem with forwards with length. Beattie sent in a crossing pass from the left touchline in the 86th minute. Much like Beattie's own score early in the match, Heskey beat several Turkish defenders in an aerial challenge and shot a header at the left post. Rusutu was there to stop it from going in, but he couldn't gather it cleanly in the wet conditions and the ball bounded out. Heskey was first on it and blasted it into the open right end of the net.

"Emile was amazing," Eriksson said. "Both of our forwards were excellent today. There aren't too many front line combos they can do what Heskey and Beattie did today."

Eriksson deserves some credit himself for starting Heskey. Usually England starts Heskey's Reds teammate superstar striker Michael Owen, but Owen hasn't started since a poor performance in England's draw with Macedonia in September. Owen wasn't even selected as a reserve for the Turkey match.

"We got the win and that's what matters," Owen said. "I am happy for Emile. He's a very underrated player."

Owen said he wasn't worried about playing time with the national team.

The European Championships will be played in Portugal in June and July next year. They are Europe's most prestigious international event.

Old 03-22-2004, 02:54 AM   #265
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SUNDAY, October 12, 2003

England In, Scotland, Ireland Reach Playoffs For Euros

Wales Doesn't Make The Cut After Home Loss To Serbia & Montenegro

The 2004 European Championships could have a decidedly "British Isles" feel to it if the playoffs work out right.

Scotland and Ireland both won Saturday to earn second-place spots in their repsective groupings at the European Championship Qualifying, even as England received the automatic bid for winning Group Seven. Second place finishers from the ten groups will compete in November for the five remaining spots to Europe's most prestigious international event.

It could have been even better, had Wales held serve at home. The Welsh national team lost to Serbia & Montengro, and subsequently also lost its own second-place spot in Group Nine.

Scotland came into Saturday's match with a pretty strong shot at making it in. The Scots had a one-point lead over third place Iceland in Group Five, and were playing Lithuania at home while the Icelanders faced off with group leader Germany.

The home teams did as expected, as Scotland won 2-0, while Iceland fell to Germany, also 2-0.

Scotland finished with 14 points, well ahead of Iceland with 10. Germany finished with 20 points and had clinched the group's automatic bid in September.

Ireland also came into the day in second place, but with far from an easy road to keep them there in Group Ten. Russia was just a win behind and had the advantage in head to head, with a win and a draw over the Irish, in case of a tiebreaker. In addition, Ireland was going up against group leader Switzerland on the road, while Russia faced last place Georgia at home.

Switzerland had already clinched the group's automatic bid, so they may not have approached the match as strong as they could have. Regardless, the Irish beat the Swiss strongly, 4-1, to make the issue of what Russia did moot. Russia did indeed beat Georgia, also 4-1.

Ireland finished with 14 points, one back of Switzerland. Russia finished with 11 points.

Wales had similar control over its destiny as Ireland did, and an even better situation, as they were playing at home against the very team trying to take that second place spot from them in Group Nine. Unfortunately, it was Serbia & Montengro that came to play, as they beat Wales badly, 4-0.

By beating Wales, Serbia & Montengro moved into a three-way tie with Ireland and idle Finland, all with 12 points. They earned the tiebreaker by having the best record in head-to-heads among the three teams.

Had Wales beaten Serbia & Montenegro, or even simply drawn them, the Welsh would have clinched second-place and a playoff spot.

Italy beat last place Azerbaijan to lock up the group's automatic bid. That, too, was up for grabs, although few thought Azerbaijan would provide a challenge to Italy at home, which they didn't in losing 3-0.

Northern Ireland had already long been eliminated from contention in its Group Six fixture, coming into Saturday in fourth with just five points. They lost to Greece, 2-0.

England beat Turkey, 4-0, on the road to wrap up the Group Seven automatic berth. The win was a must situation for the English to clinch the spot, although both teams had long since clinched at least the playoff spot in the group. England finished with 20 points to Turkey's 18.

Other Group Results

Coming into Saturday's action, five teams had clinched spots at the European Championships, including defending champion France in Group One, Holland in Group Three, Germany in Group Five, Switzerland in Group Ten and Portugal as the tournament host.

Six more automatic spots were handed out Saturday, including to England in Group Seven.

In Group One, France finished off a dominating run by beating Israel, 3-0, at home, to run through the entire eight-match group fixture unbeaten. The match was essentially meaningless, though, as Israel itself had already clinched the group's playoff spot. France finihed with the maximum possible 24 points, while Israel ended up with 14. Slovenia beat Cyprus to move up to 13 points, but it was too little, too late.

In Group Two, nothing was set coming into Saturday, although Romania had to despair at its chances, as it was idle. The Eastern European country was tied with Norway and Denmark at 14 points, with the latter two playing the two squads at the bottom of the group in Luxembourg and Bosnia. As expected, the Scandinavian nations won those matches to take the group's two spots with 17 points apiece. Denmark got the automatic spot by virtue of a win and draw over Norway in head-to-head action.

Group Three was set before Saturday. Holland clinched the automatic spot, with the Czech Republic landing the playoff spot. They also both won on aturday to solidify their spots. Holland finished with 22 points, while the Czech Republic had 17.

Group Four was similar to England's group in that the two teams, Sweden and Hungary, had clinched playoff spots, but the automatic bid was still up for grabs. Sweden came in with the three point lead and a home match against Latvia, but Hungary could sneak up and contest the first place spot with a win over Poland at home, so long as Sweden lost.

It went about as bad for Hungary as it could get, though, as they lost to Poland, 2-0, at home, while Sweden beat Latvia, 1-0, to get the automatic spot. Hungary's consolation prize is the already-clinched playoff spot.

Group Six, Northern Ireland's group, was an intriguing one, as powerful Spain was needing a win to get into the playoffs. First place Greece had 15 points and a clinched spot, but Spain was a point behind idle Ukraine, and needing a win on the road over Armenia. Fortunately for Spain, Armenia was the last place squad and the Spaniards came through with a 2-0 win. The victory jumped them into second place and a playoff spot, while Greece's 2-0 win over Northern Ireland earned them the automatic bid.

Belgium had been the favorite in Group Eight, but found itself in trouble entering Saturday. After underachieving through most of the group fixture, Belgium needed a win over Estonia at home and croatia to draw or lose to group leader Bulgaria at home. Croatia did indeed draw with Bulgaria, opening up a chance for Belgium. But the Belgians held to recent form and drew, 1-1, with Estonia to stay in thrid place with 12 points. Bulgaria clinched the automatic spot with 18 points, while Croatia got the playoff spot.

Altogether, the automatic qualifiers ended up as France, Denmark, Holland, Sweden, Germany, Greece, England, Bulgaria, Italy, Switzerland and host Portugal.

The last five squads will come from a two-leg, five-match playoff in November between the ten second-place squads, including Israel, Norway, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Scotland, Spain, Turkey, Croatia, Serbia & Montenegro and Ireland.

The playoff fixtures will be announced on Monday.

The 2004 European Championships will be held in June and July, 2004.

Old 03-22-2004, 05:54 AM   #266
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

MONDAY, October 13, 2003

Boro Ink Ehiogu To Extension

The Centreback Signs On Through 2005

MIDDLESBROUGH-- Key central defender Ugo Ehiogu agreed to a one-year extension on his contract with Middlesbrough on Sunday, according to club officials.

The 30-year-old defender agreed to a same-pay extension of his Ł1.2 M per season contract trhough June, 2005, sealing him up through the 2004-05 English season.

"Ugo has established himself as a necessary part of the Boro squad," interim Boro manager Matthew Kieta said. "I may have not yet seen him play in person, but his value to his teammates, his dedication to his game, the tapes of his play I have seen and his willingness to work through his injury all lead me to believe this is one of the better things I have done sicne coming here."

Ehiogu has been out with torn knee ligaments since May, and isn't expected back in match play until January at the soonest. With captain Gareth Southgate, Ehiogu has led the Boro's strong defense of the past couple seasons.

"I am happy to get this one off of my back," Ehiogu said, referring to the looming contract talks. "I know it takes time for new managers to get a feel for players and whether they want to pay to keep them. I appreciate that Coach Kieta has the faith in me to give me an extension before I have even played for him."

It might have been a risk-reward situation for Kieta, some observers say. Ehiogu's contract was due to end in June, so he would have been available via Bosman transfer in December. The extension is thought by some to be an effort to seal him up before another squad can sweep in and get the veteran defender.

Ehiogu is epxected to make a full recovery from the knee injury.

The centreback, who is known for his strong work ethic and powerful presence on the pitch--as well as his bone-jarring tackles, could be the key missing ingredient to the Boro's defense later this season. The emergence of young Chris Riggott as a first-eleven starter has eased backline concerns, but a recent switch to a tactic with three centrebacks would allow Riggott, Southgate and Ehiogu to all be on the pitch at the same time.

Ehiogu has been with the Boro since the 2000-01 season, scoring seven goals in 82 appearances with the squad. Prior to that, Ehiogu was a fixture in Aston Villa's defense, where he also played beside Southgate. Ehiogu played nine seasons with the Villans, after debuting with West Bromich Albion in 1990.

In 319 career matches, Ehiogu has 19 goals. He has also appeared in four matches with England's national team, and even has an international goal.

Team officials hinted that other signings might be coming. The most prominent remaining player without an extension is versatile forward Joseph-Désiré Job, whose role in the first eleven has been elevated in recent months.

Old 03-22-2004, 05:54 AM   #267
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I was about to be shocked that England managed to beat Turkey 4-0 and on the road, no less! But then I saw that, unlike his real life counterpart, the virtual Sven had the intelligence to actually give James Beattie a chance. Now, I'm no fan of Beattie since I don't know very much about him but the guy has been playing incredibly well and just never ever get a chance on the national team.

Heh. Heh. Heh. Emile Heskey with two goals. Heh. Heh. Heh.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:19 AM   #268
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

TUESDAY, October 14, 2003

Scotland, Ireland Get Their Euro Playoff Dates

Scotland Will Play Norway, While Ireland Draws Tough Spain

The European Championships Qualifying took its last step to completion Monday when the competition organizaers announced the results of the draw of the ten second-place teams from the recently-completed group stage.

Scotland will play Norway, and Ireland will meet up with Spain to fight it out for one of the five remaining spots to the European Championships in Portugal next summer.

The two-leg playoffs will be held on November 15 and November 19, with home-and-home switches and aggregate scores being used.

Scotland will open at Ullevŕl Stadion in Oslo, Norway in the first leg, before hosting Norway at Hampden Park in Glasgow, Scotland the next round.

Ireland will open at Lansdowne Road in Dublin, before going to San Miguel in Casetas, Spain for the follow-up.

The other matchups are the Czech Republic and Israel, Hungary and Croatia, and Turkey and Serbia & Montenegro.

All ten teams earned their way into the playoffs by finishing second in their respective five-team groups during the European Championships Qualifying group stage, which wrapped up on Saturday.

Ireland, the 13th-ranked national squad in the world by FIFA, didn't receive a kind draw in third-ranked Spain. Norway, at 22nd-ranked, is a much more pallatable opponent, but Scotland is ranked 56th and won't be favored to beat the Norwegian squad.

The 12th-ranked Czechs will be favored over 44th-ranked Israel; Croatia at 28th should have the advantage over 49th-ranked Hungary; and 6th-ranked Turkey should be very tough for 32nd-ranked Serbia & Montenegro.

The five winners of the playoffs will fill out the sixteen team tournament. Eleven teams--the ten group winners and host Portugal--make up the other squads, including France (2nd), Holland (5th), England (7th), Germany (9th), Italy (11th), Denmark (14th), Sweden (20th), Greece (30th), Bulgaria (37th), and Switzerland (47th). Host Portugal is the 16th-ranked team by FIFA.

The 2004 European Championships will be held in June and July next year.

Wilson Returns To Boro

Midfielder Mark Wilson's loan with First Division Stoke City ended Monday, and the 24-year-old reserve has returned to Middlesbrough.

In 11 matches with Stoke, Wilson scored two goals, got a Man of the Match award, averaged 4.08 tackles per match, and put up a very solid 7.27 rating. He was also named to the First Division Team of the Week for the September 22-28 week.

The club said Wilson would play with the reserve squad for now, and that they would play it by ear on whether they might need him on the first team. Wilson was not expected to play with the first team this season, and might even be loaned out again to get him more experience.

Neither interim Boro manager Matthew Kieta nor Wilson were available for comment Monday.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-22-2004 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:26 AM   #269
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was about to be shocked that England managed to beat Turkey 4-0 and on the road, no less! But then I saw that, unlike his real life counterpart, the virtual Sven had the intelligence to actually give James Beattie a chance. Now, I'm no fan of Beattie since I don't know very much about him but the guy has been playing incredibly well and just never ever get a chance on the national team.

Heh. Heh. Heh. Emile Heskey with two goals. Heh. Heh. Heh.

Beattie has been a regular fixture with the first team from what I have seen. It's been Owen's spot that continues to be a revolving door. Heskey is just the latest, of course. Darius Vassell of Aston Villa is another guy used a lot (in fact, I would say he was the primary backup until Heskey got the call in the Turkey match).

Fun fact: Heskey doesn't even start for the Reds, apparently. I usually see Alan Smith next to Owen.

Beattie earned a 10 rating, while Heskey got a 9. How's that for forward play? I was surprised at how dominant the whole team was, especially in Turkey. I know the English have had a lot to gripe about with their team in recent years, so quite a shock, eh?

Now if onyl I could talk Sven into giving more time to Southgate. I mean, at least include him in the subs every other match or so.

BTW, something I never mentione dthere, because he was never really tested, but it wasn't Paul Robinson in net for England. It was Richard Wright of Everton. Robinson might have a tough time getting his job back if Wright keeps putting up clean sheets.

CR

Old 03-22-2004, 07:00 AM   #270
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Richard Wright!

I'm still peeved he and Matthew Upson never really got a full chance with us.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:23 AM   #271
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Richard Wright!

I'm still peeved he and Matthew Upson never really got a full chance with us.

Thanks for name-dropping Upson. I forgot about him after I did the Birmingham preview, but he seems to be a good guy to keep track of with my fullback issues. Of course, he's a little rich for me at some Ł5 M in value, but always good to keep an eye on the talent.

CR

Old 03-23-2004, 02:29 AM   #272
daedalus
Pro Rookie

In my 01/02 game, I could never get Matty to play worth a darn at fullback and ended up selling him. Turned out he was a centreback and ended up becoming a good player with his new team. Apparently, he's more of a natural centreback in real life as well so he may not be the solution to your problem.

I don't know if Gael Glichy made it into your game or not, but he was highly regarded and has played well for the Gunners this season when he's been asked to step in for Ashley. Former Gunners kiddie, Moritz Volz, is a good fullback as well but I don't know if he's rated as a left-back in the game. One possible target may be Jlloyd Samuel who is suppose to be well regarded as a left-back and Aston Villa isn't that great financially so the money may be a temptation for them.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:49 AM   #273
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

WEDNESDAY, October 15, 2003

UEFA Cup First Round Wraps Up Tonight

Four Premiership Squads Will Look To Wrap Up Second Round Bids

Last month, all four English Premier League squads vying for Europe's UEFA Cup got off to strong starts in the first leg of the first round. Tonight they will try and finish things off.

Liverpool, Blackburn, Manchester City and Southampton all defeated their opponents by at least two goals on September 24. The aggregate score winners after tonight's matches move ont o play in the second round of Europe's second most prestigious tournament.

Including the four Premiership squads, 94 European clubs will meet in 47 matches tonight. One other match was completed Tuesday night, when Russian Premier Division squad Spartak Moscow won 4-1 aggrewgate (3-1 last night) over Turkish Premier Division club Malatyaspor.

Liverpool will host Polish First Division squad Groclin at Anfield, while Blackburn travel's the Groclin's league-mate GKS Katowice in Poland. The Reds beat Groclin 2-0 in Poland last month, the same score Blackburn beat GKS Katwoice by at Ewood Park.

Southampton beat Malmö FF of the Swedish Premier Division, 3-0, at St. Mary's Stadium in September, and will travel to Sweden tonight. Manchester City beat Israeli Premier Leagie squad Hapoel Tel-Aviv, 3-1, in Israel last month, and will host them at City of Manchester Stadium tonight.

There are several other squads from British Isle nations in action tonight as well.

Scottish Premier Division squads Dundee and Hearts will both be at home tonight after opening with wins in September. Hearts was particularly impressive, as they beat Primera Liga squad Valencia, 2-1, in Spain. Dundee will host Swiss Super League side Young Boys, whom they also beat 2-1.

Welsh Premier League side Total Network Solutions has a big opportunity tonight after playing Bundesliga club Wereder Bremen tough in Germany last month before falling, 4-3. Just a goal down and at home, the Welsh squad could pull off a huge upset tonight.

Northern Irish League Premier Division squad Portadown's outlook isn't so rosey. They were beaten handily at home, 4-0, by Eridivisie squad FC Nordsjćlland, and now they will have to go to Denmark to try and overcome a big deficit.

Irish Premier Division power Bohemians beat Torpedo Moscow of the Russian Premier Division in Russia, and will host them in Ireland tonight. Shelbourne isn't looking so hot, with a match against Serie A club Udinese in Italy and already down 5-1.

Some of the top clubs in Europe are entered in this competition, including the Primera Liga's Barcelona, Dutch Premier Division and 2001-02 UEFA Cup champion Feyenoord, Serie A power Roma, Turkish Premier Division club Galatsaray, and Portuguese Superleague squad Sporting.

Old 03-23-2004, 04:06 AM   #274
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In my 01/02 game, I could never get Matty to play worth a darn at fullback and ended up selling him. Turned out he was a centreback and ended up becoming a good player with his new team. Apparently, he's more of a natural centreback in real life as well so he may not be the solution to your problem.

I don't know if Gael Glichy made it into your game or not, but he was highly regarded and has played well for the Gunners this season when he's been asked to step in for Ashley. Former Gunners kiddie, Moritz Volz, is a good fullback as well but I don't know if he's rated as a left-back in the game. One possible target may be Jlloyd Samuel who is suppose to be well regarded as a left-back and Aston Villa isn't that great financially so the money may be a temptation for them.

Ah, well, I don't really need centrebacks with Southgate, Riggott and Ehiogu around, not to mention key solid backups and/or future types in Salvatore Fresi, Brian Close and reserves Andrew Davies and Mikele Leigertwood.

Still, I will keep my out on him anyway.

Glichy is on the Arsenal reserve squad. He looks fairly solid, but I can't see all of his stats. Volz is on loan with Fulham, and, like in real life, he will be joining Fulham full time (I had the player update with future transfers).

I remember J'Lloyd Samuel from my Villa preview. He does look like a good one, and for some reason, Villa isn't starting him much in my dynasty, although he seems to still find his way on the pitch eventually. I have him under watch as well, but I'm not so sure I can afford the money needed to tempt Aston Villa. YEah, they may not be rich, but neither am I.

CR

Old 03-23-2004, 05:07 AM   #275
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

THURSDAY, October 16, 2003

Premiership Foursome Make Jump To UEFA Second Round

Liverpool, Blackburn, Southampton and Man City All Move On

England's chances of ending up with Europe's second most valued prize in club competition stayed strong as all four English Premier League squads completed aggregate victories in the first round of the UEFA Cup competition on Wednesday.

Liverpool beat Polish First Division squad Groclin, 3-0, at Anfield last night to complete an easy 5-0 aggregate win. Manchester City also played in England, although they had a tpougher time than expected with Israeli Premier Division club Hapoel Tel-Aviv, drawiing with them 0-0 Wednesday night. Fortunately, City beat H. Tel-Aviv 3-1 in Israel last month, and move on in aggregate.

Southampton didn't allow Swedish Premier Division club Malmö FF to score in Sweden anymore than in England. The Saints put up a second clean sheet, 1-0, on Wednesday to finish off a 4-0 aggregate win. Blackburn was in Poland, facing Groclin league mate, GKS Katowice. The Rovers, like City, were drawn 0-0, and had to win on the basis of their 2-0 win over the Polish squad iat Ewood Park in September.

The most impressive club from the British Isles, though, may turn out to be Scottish Premier Division squad Hearts. After upsetting powerful Primera Liga squad Valencia in Spain in September, Hearts continued to roll on Wednesday, beating the Spanish side, 3-1 to complete an impressive 5-2 aggregate victory.

Fellow SPD side Dundee also moved on after beating Swiss Super League club Young Boys 2-0 at home, and 4-1 overall.

Ireland's Bohemians had to wint he hard way Wednesday night. After allowing Russian Premier Division squad Torpedo Moscow to edge them in regulation, 2-1, the Bohemians had to play extra time with the Russian club to determine a winner. As it turns out, it went all the way to penalty kicks before the Bohemians prevailed at home.

Fellow Irish Premier Division squad Shelbourne wasn't so lucky, although, with a -1 loss to Serie A squad Udinese already int he books, one could hardly have expected a miracle in Italy. As expected, Udinese spanked Shelbourne, 4-0, to give them a 9-1 aggregate win and the second most goals by a club in the round (behind only Germany's Schalke 04, who beat Cypriot squad APOEL, 10-1).

Welsh Premier League squad Total Network Solutions had a diamond opportunity to beat Bundesliga club Werder Bremen Wedsnesdya, but let it slip through their hands. Despite playing at home and being just a goal behind the German squad, the Welsh side lost 3-1, and 7-4 on aggregate.

Eridivisie squad FC Nordsjćlland finished off a beating of Northern Irish League Premier Division squad Portadown, 2-0 on Wednesday and 6-0 overall.

All of the top keagues in Europe had significant contingents of clubs in the UEFA Cup competition.

Spain's Primera Liga had an awful day. In addition to losing Valencia to Hearts, superpower Barcelona also fell, losing to French La Ligue One squad Auxerre, 5-4 on aggregate, after Barça's 3-2 win Wednesday proved to be not enough to overcome a stronger Auxerre win in September. Mallorca was the only Primera Liga squad to make it to the second round, beating Hungary's Ferencváros 4-2 on aggregate.

Like England, Italy and its top league, Serie A, came into the day looking likely to win all four of its matches. They, too, pulled off the impressive quad-win, but it wasn't without a risk. Parma was drawn at home by Belgian First Division club La Louvičre, 0-0, and had to rest a tight aggregate win ona 1-0 road victory in Belgium last month. Italian superpower Roma beat Romanian suqad Steaua, 6-3, on aggregate, while Perugia beat Greek National A club Panionios, 6-1 overall. Udinese, of course, handled Shelbourne with ease.

With Werder Bremen beating TNS, and Schalke 04 blasting APOEL, the night had the makings to be a good one for Germany's Bundesliga. HSV beat Czech First Division power Sparta Prague on away scores, 2-2, while Kaiserslautern handled Eridivisie club Esbjerg with ease, 7-2. The only loss was by Hertha BSC, which fell in an upset to Belarus's Dinamo Minsk, 3-2. Hertha's 2-0 win Wednesday night wasn't enough to counter a worse loss in September.

Auxerre scored the big win for La Ligue One with its defeat of powerful barcelona, but otherwise, it wasn't all that sunny a day for the French. Both Bordeaux and Marseille fell Wednesday. Bordeaux lost 3-2 on aggregate to Portuguese Superleague squad Leiria, while Marseille was shocked, 3-2, by Belasica GC of Macedonia. Sochaux did beat Bosnia & Herzegovina squad Zeljeznicar, 5-3, to give France two entrants into the next round.

There were several other notable matchups among European powers.

Russian Premier Division club CSKA Moscow beat Belgian First Division power Club Brugge, 4-0, while a little to the southwest, Ukrainian High League power Dinamo Kiev shocked Dutch Premier Division and former UEFA champion Feyenoord, 2-0.

Turkish power Gençlerbirligi had a surprisingly difficult time with another Ukrainian High League squad in Metalurg Donetsk, edging them out 3-2. Turkish traditional superpower Galatasaray beat Serbian & Montenegro side Partizan, 4-2.

In one of the top matchups of the first round, Portuguese Superleague power Sporting beat Greek National A Division squad PAOK, 3-2, Wednesday night.

The 48 remaining squads will receive their new fixtures and second round opponents from a draw to be held on Friday.

Old 03-23-2004, 10:43 AM   #276
Alpha
n00b

I realise this has been said before, but excellent depth on the reports outside your primary team. I find it hard to garner much interest in European competition as a lower league manager, but for a reader looking for detail, this provides tonnes. Good luck for the return to Premiership action for Middlesborough.
Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 04:33 PM   #277
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, Alpha. Not being from Europe, I have just taken a stab at what the interest might be in the European competitions. Obviously, lower league fans (and managers) aren't going to care since those competitions are generally for the big boys.

As a guy following from across the pond, though, I find the international club competitions to be a lot of fun to follow. Hopefully, my readers will, too.

CR

Old 03-23-2004, 05:36 PM   #278
Blade6119
Coordinator

"Coach Kieta, what position do you expect to finish in this season. i am well aware that many changes have happened and are still occuring to the squad, but what can fans expect to see this year in terms of final league position. Are you thinking relegation level squad, or are we going to be up near the top?"

"Also, you have mentioned the possible changes comingto the squad in he near future. Do these only apply to first teamers, or are you also going after young prospects to bring up through your system. Im sure even an american understands the importance of a youth squad to the future of a club on any level. Can you comment on your transfer goals, or even a few players that have caught your eye?"
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html

Last edited by Blade6119 : 03-23-2004 at 09:29 PM.
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 07:19 PM   #279
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

THURSDAY, October 16, 2003

Boro Re-Up With Job

He Becomes The Second Boro To Sign An Extension With The Club In Three Days

MIDDLESBROUGH-- Interim Boro manager Matthew Kieta has apparently decided to take care of some business, as he gave out his second extension in three days on Wednesday.

Forward Joseph-Désiré Job agreed to a two-year, Ł1.0 M contract extension, which will keep him with the club through the 2005-06 season. Job had been approaching the end of his contract, set to terminate in June.

The move comes just two days after injured centreback Ugo Ehiogu was signed to a one-year extension. Like Ehiogu, Job signed for the same annual salary.

"I'm very excited at this opportunity to make Boro football an international icon," the 25-year-old Cameroonian forward said. "We have some good players here, and we can make some noise in this league."

Job has played himself into a prominent role on the Boro front line. The versatile forward came into the season as a key reserve for anywhere from striker to winger, but his quickness, ball control and consistency have led Kieta to keep him on the pitch more.

In eight appearances, including five league starts and a cup first eleven, Job has two goals, a Man of the Match, has drawn 19 fouls, averages 2.84 dribbles per match, and has a squad-best 7.38 average rating.

This is the forward's fourth season with the club, although last year was the first time Job saw regular play with the first team. He scored four goals in 28 appearances last season, and nine goals in 52 career appearances witht he Boro.

In a seven-year career that also includes stints with La Ligue One powers Lyon and Lens, as well as a loan to French side Metz, Job has scored 27 goals in 129 appearances. He also has six goals in 43 international appearances for Cameroon, with whom he has split-nationality with France.

"Job has proven his worth time and time again," Kieta said. "When I needed some one to step up and give me strong play up front, he was the one who really responded. No one is going to say Jospeh is singularly great at anything. But he does everything well, and he brings it every time."

In other news, Ehiogu has resumed training for the Boro. The defender is still months away from returning to the pitch, but he is able to particpate in some of the lighter training exercises.

It is thought Ehiogu might be back by January.

Old 03-23-2004, 09:24 PM   #280
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SATURDAY, October 18, 2003

UEFA Second Round Is Set

Manchester City Draws Tough Sporting From Portugal

The nest step in Europe's second most prestigious club competition is set.

The second round will play its first leg matches on November 6, and then wrap up on November 26-27 with the second legs. Forty-eight clubs remain in the vying for the UEFA Cup, which went to Portuguese Superleague squad Porto last season.

Among four Premiership squads int he competition, Manchester City is the only club that will open at home. That is countered, however, by the liekly toughest draw of the four, as they will face off with Portuguese power Sporting.

Sporting was third in the Superlague in 2003, and won it in 2002. They are currently fifth in one of Europe's better leagues. They beat Greek National A Division squad PAOK, 3-2 on aggregate. City beat Israeli Premier League side Hapoel Tel-Aviv, 3-1.

Liverpool, Southampton and Blackburn also remain in the competition.

Liverpool drew Eridivisie squad FC Nordsjćlland, which beat another British Isles squad in Northern Irish club Portadown, 6-0, in the first round. The Danish squad finished third in the Eridivisie last season and is currently fifth this year. The Reds beat Polish First Division squad Groclin, 5-0, in the first round.

Southampton drew Petrzalka of the Slovak First Division. The Slovakian squad was a runner up in its league lasts eason, and is currently in sixth. The club edged out Slovenia's Publicum, 1-0. The Saints beat Swedish Premier Division squad Malmö FF, 4-0.

The Rovers might actually get a test from Belarussian squad Dinamo Minsk. Minsk stunned Bundesliga power Hertha BSC, 3-2, in the first round. Blackburn beat Polish club GKS Katowice 2-0.

Two Scottish clubs and one from ireland remain in the competition as well.

Hearts will have to go far to top their accomplishments int he first round, after beating Primera Liga power Valencia, 5-2, in the first round. They drew the Dutch Premier Division squad FC Utrecht, current fourth in the DPR. Utrecht beat Hapoel Ramat-Gan of Israel, 5-0, and should be another tough opponent for hearts.

Dundee, the other Scottish premier Division team, will start on the road against Bulgarian club Levski Sofia. Dundee beat Swiss Super League side Young Boys, 4-1, while Levski Sofia defeated Hungarian club Debrecen, 4-4, on away goals.

The Bohemians barely got out of the first round, beating Russian Premier Division club Torpedo Moscow on penalty kicks, 3-3. Things won't get easier this round for the Irish Premier League squad, as they drew a very good opponent in Turkish Premier Division Gençlerbirligi, which is currently third ina good league, and finished third last season as well. The Turkish squad beat Ukrainian High League squad Metalurg Donetsk, 3-2.

Several of Europe's top clubs remain in the competition as well, including Italy's Roma, Spain's Mallorca, France's Auxerre, Germany's HSV, Turkey's Galatasaray and Portugal's Leiria.

The Manchester City-Sporting man looks odds on to be the biggets matchup in the second round.

Old 03-24-2004, 02:58 AM   #281
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SATURDAY, October 18, 2003

Manchester United (5-1-2) at Middlesbrough (3-1-4)

Where: The Riverside Stadium, Middlesbrough
Forecast: 12ş C
Manchester United Out: DC Wes Brown

Outlook: Every year, the Red Devils visit Riverside Stadium, and there is always hope the Boro will beat them. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. This season's matchup is a difficult one to call. The Boro just recently endured a four-match winless streak in which they scored just one goal. But two weeks ago the Boro looked confident and strong in producing a solid 3-0 win over Bolton on the road. Powerful Manchester United hasn't lost since the season opener, when they fell to table-topping Arsenal at Highbury. They beat a good Blackburn squad 3-0 at home on October 4, but they aren't without their vulnerabilities, having recently drawn with Lokomotiv Moscow at Old Trafford in the Champions League, and with Premiership squad Portsmouth on the road.

Arsenal (7-1-0) at Blackburn (4-1-3) Arsenal appears to be as strong as ever. This week's match is merely the latest test of that dominance. Blackburn has been solid this season, but they haven't played so well in recent weeks, with a 3-0 loss to Manchester United at Old Trafford (forgiveable) and a 4-2 loss to Leciester on the road (unforgiveable). Arsenal meanwhile will be trying to match its previous four-match win streak. The Gunners opened the season with the streak before drawing with Liverpool at Anfield. Since then, they have won three, including a 1-0 decision at Highbury over Portsmouth two weeks ago.

The Rest of the Matches

Leeds United at Birmingham City
Arsenal at Blackburn Rovers
Southampton at Everton
Charlton at Fulham
Bolton Wanderers at Manchester City
Manchester United at Middlesbrough
Liverpool at Newcastle United
Aston Villa at Portsmouth
Leicester City at Tottenham Hotspur
Chelsea at Wolverhampton

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-24-2004 at 03:15 AM.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:11 PM   #282
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I took a refresher break, prepared for my baseball fantasy draft, simmed ahead a bit in this game, started up a fun career in FBCB, watched some tourney games and worked a whole lot at my job. And now I am back to get the dynasty going again.

Man U write up article coming.

CR

Old 03-30-2004, 06:17 PM   #283
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SUNDAY, October 19, 2003

The Boro Survive Man U

They Escape Their Own Stadium With A Draw AGainst The Superpower

MIDDLESBROUGH-- Sometimes it's better to be lucky than it is to be good. And soemtiems a draw is as good as a win.

On Saturday afternoon, the Boro pulled off one of their bigger stunts of the young season when they managed to draw powerful Manchester United, 0-0, in front of just a handful of people short of a fullhouse at The Riverside Stadium.

The Boro were dominated all match long, with the world-class Red Devils controlling the ball some 35% of the running time inside the Boro's defensive third of the pitch, and taking 10 shots--six on goal--to just one lone shot by Middlesbrough.

Despite that, goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer and an opportunistic clear-out defense led by centreback Chris Roggott and winger Michael Ricketts kept the mighty United power from ruffling the Boro net.

Interim Boro manager Matthew Kieta tempered the enthusiasm at his post-match conference.

"Guys, it was a draw," Kieta said, point-blank, like a few of the Red Devils' shots. "I don't want to understate the moral victory of drawing a powerful team like Manchester United, but I don't want to overstate it either. We got a point, and I will take it--but I wanted the win."

Schwarzer agreed with his manager's thoughts, saying it was a winnable match for the home Boro.

"Yeah, it was a tough test, but maybe we get a couple better breaks on the ball, or [Tim] Howard doesn't make that great save on Bolo[ Zenden]'s shot, and we come away with a fine victory," said the goalkeeper, who won Man of the Match honors for his efforts on Saturday.

The shot in question was a beauty struck by Zenden in the 42nd minute. It was the Boro's one shot, but it was as close to getting in as any of the United shots.

Centreback Danny Mills collected the ball off of a corner clear out by the United defense and went on a run toward outer right corner of the penalty area, with winger Kléberson in pursuit. Mills had just enough room to send a deep, swerving cross parallel to the goal toward midfielder Doriva. The pass was off, though and sailed to near the back end of the other side of the penalty area. Zenden was positioned perfectly and sent a beautiful volley of the pass the left post. Howard, the Man U keeper, had to make a long break for the save, going virtually the length of the net before nabbing the ball at the line. The goalkeeper clutched it, ending the chance.

Other than that, the Boro offensive chances were essentially nil. On the few breaks they had or holes they exposed, the opportunities were quickly closed down at midfield by United's powerful centrebacks, who were faster and more nimble than Boro forwards Joseph-Désiré Job and Juninho.

Physical dominance was the name of the whole match for Manchester United, in fact, as they werew clearly faster, taller and more talented.

Winger Ryan Giggs, in particular, was very dangerous, as he went on several playmaking runs into the Boro defensive area, keyed by on-spot passing from midfielder Roy Keane.

A Giggs play set up United's best chance in the 65th minute. Giggs charged into the left end of the penalty area and approached the goal line. Before he could be closed down, he sent a soft cross intot he middle of the goal box area. Scary superstar talent Ruud Van Nistlerooy was there to head it on goal, but Schwarzer was ready, knocking the ball up the line with a dive to his right. Centreback Gareth Southgate ended up witht he abll and cleared out the opportunity.

Riggott and Ricketts were the keys to the defense, as they cleared out several strong Manchester United pushes into the Boro defensive zone.

Schwarzer himself had a fine game. He was also called upon to save strong direct freekicks by striker Nicolas Anelka and Kléberson, the last coming with mere minutes left in the match. In both cases, he needed to make sizable adjustments ont he line, but was there when the ball reached it, and grabbed each one without a rebound.

"What goalie controversy?" Kieta joked, referring to the summer battle between Schwarzer and Carlo Nash. "Seriously, we're blessed to have two fine keepers in Mark and Carlo. My main regret right now is that I can't conceive of pulling Mark from goal, which means Carlo is going to have to satsfy himself with practice pitch time until I can work him into a match."

The point gained from Saturday's match did little for the Boro standing in the league table, although it certainly doesn't hurt it. The Boro remain in 17th, now with a 3-2-4 record, although with admittedly a good deal more enthusiasm. Coupled with the 3-1 win over Bolton two weeks ago, Middlesbrough now has a very modest two-match unbeaten streak.

That streak will be severely tested next Saturday, however, as the Boro travel to London and a meeting with table-topping super squad Arsenal at Highbury.

Under-19's Fall To Derby

Considering the first team was facing off with perhaps the biggest world power club on its own pitch, one couldn't have been further out of mind than a little match in Burton-on-Trent, involving the Broo's third, youth team.

Apparently, even a few of the Boro Under-19 players will still back in Middlesbrough, at least in their minds, because they were dominated in this one, falling 2-0 to Derby at Eton Park.

Derby scored the match-winner early on, on a strike by forward Kyle Macauley in the 16th minute, but they got a litte help from Boro fullback Tony McMahon, who clinched it for the home team when he accidentally put an own goal past Middlesbrough keeper David Knight.

The two goals by Knight were the first he had allowed in three matches, since one he let get by him against Scarborough in early September. Knight had two clean sheets sine then, and four shut outs in seven appearances so far. Despite the goals allowed, Knight still nabbed a Man of the Match award.

Derby outshot the Boro, 7-3, and road squad had just two shots int he match. It was also a very ugly-played match by the young Boro squad--they drew no less than seven yellow cards to the Derby's one. They were prodigious in how they spread them out, though--no one had to be sent off.

European League Football notes

The first of the Scandinavian leagues has wrapped up its regular season.

Helsingin Jalkapalloklubi, or HJK for short, won its second straight Finnish Premier Division trophy when it ended its season with a table-topping 55 points and a 16-7-3 record.

FC Haka finished in second with 51 points, an improvement of one from its 2002 third place finish. My Pa was third with 46 points, after finishing in second last season.

Jaro has been automatically relegated as the last place squad, while FC Hämeenlinna, as the second-to-last finisher in the division, will need to play a playoff with Finnish First Division squad Vaasan Palloseura, or VPS, for its spot in the Premier Division. First Division winner Honka moves up to replace Jaro.

The Scandinavian leagues, excepting Denmark's Eridivisie, and the Russian Premier Division play winter-to-fall fixtures, contrary to those of most of the more sourthernly leagues. This is largely due to the brutal winters in these areas which make even breathing, much less playing football, very difficult outside in December and January.

Norway, Sweden and Russia will all finish up play in the next couple of weeks.

Old 03-31-2004, 03:07 AM   #284
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SUNDAY, October 19, 2003

Leeds 2, Birmingham 0 The Blues may have takent hemselves out of the match before they even had a chance. Just 28 minutes into the first half, centreback Mike Duff was sent off for yanking on Jody Morris's shirt as the Leeds midfielder was bearing down on goal. The foul was committed outside of the penalty area ona break way, which was doubtless the only reason it didn't result in a penalty. Despite Duff's absence, Birmingham still outshot Leeds 7-6. Their problem--besides covering up for a man disdavantage--was that they couldn't put a shot on goal. Just two Birmingham shots ended up at the net, next to four by Leeds. The Whites made it count, too, getting two quick scores early in the second half from fullback Ian Harte and winger Jermaine Pennant. Pennant got the Man of the Match with five runs and three tackles, in addition to his goal.

Blackburn 3, Arsenal 1 The streak is no more. The Rovers introduced the Gunners to their first loss of the season, in the ninth match of the season. Arsenal had seven wins, and their only blemish was a road draw to Liverpool coming into the match. For the Rovers, the win is a big turnaround, coming off of a brutal 3-0 loss to Manchester United. Blackburn didn't dominate in shots. with just a 10-8 advantage, but they kept the Gunners from getting good shots on net, keeping the visitors to just two on goal. Blackburn got going early, getting a 17th minute score from striker Dwight Yorke and a 31st minute goal from fellow striker Ashley Cole. Arsenal star striker Thierry Henry got one back in the 43rd minute, but the Gunners were already out of it. Midfielder Brett Emerton finished them off with a 71st minute strike, capping a Man of the Match performance. He finished with seven tackles, four interceptions and five runs, along with the goal.

Southampton 2, Everton 0 Both the Blues and Saints came into the season with expectations of challenging for a Top Five spot in the league table, and both got off to bad starts. The good news for the Saints is they turned it around. Everton has yet to do so, though, despite solid play in spots. Saturday's action was just an exclamation point on that development, as Southampton went into Goodison Park and scored when they needed to get the victory. Both sides shot eight times, putting six each on goal. Making the loss even more difficult for Everton to stomach was the fact they controlled the ball in the Saints' defensive third for nearly twice as long as Southampton did in their own. The Saints truck quick and early, getting their first goal by star striker James Beattie in the third minute, and putting in the second in the 33rd minute by fullback Chris Baird. Beattie got the Man of the Match, with three shots, two on goal, two interceptions and four drawn fouls.

Fulham 0, Charlton 0 Two weeks after getting their first win of the season, Fulham got every break they needed to get win number two. Not only did Charlton lose two players to injury, but midfielder Graham Stuart was sent off in the 49th minute for disputing a foul by teammate Carlton Cole on Cottagers centreback Andy Melville. The veteran midfielder's furious outbursts at the ref earned him an early shower and the Addicks a man-disadvantage. Despite that and a 16-6 shot advantage, Fulham couldn't solve Charlton keeper Dean Kiely, who faced off 10 shots on goal in winning the Man of the Match award.

Manchester City 0, Bolton 0 After losing their six-match unbeaten streak in a 1-0 road loss to Leicester two weeks ago, a home match against the lowly Wanderers was just what City needed. Too bad Bolton didn't get the memo. Despite losing badly to Blackburn ont he road 2-0 and Middlesbrough at home 3-0 in its past two matches, the Wanderers managed to draw Manchester City, despite being challenged by no less than 24 shots on goal from the Citizens. Fourteen of those shots went on goal--a league-high so far this season, although City couldn't have done less with them. Needless to say, the Man of the Match went to embattled Charlton goalkeeper Juusi Jääskeläinen, who garnered the rare 10 rating from football raters (and deservedly so). The keeper had to do it all, considering his defense allowed Manchester City to control the ball in Charlton's third of the pitch for almost half (44%) of the match running time.

Middlesbrough 0, Manchester United 0 Two of United's last four Premiership matches have been 3-0 and 5-0 wins over Blackburn and the Wolves, respectively. They are housed around two stunning scoreless road draws, though, including Saturday's draw with the Boro. The home squad managed just one shot on goal to the Red Devils' 10, with six on goal, but the powerful Manchester squad couldn't solve goalkeeper mark Schwarzer, who became yet another keeper to receive the Man of the Match award on Saturday for his efforts in securing an unlikely clean sheet.

Newcastle 1, Liverpool 0 Like the Everton-Southampton match, this match featrued two squads with apirations for higher things that have been, at times, less than stellar this season. The difference here is these guys are traditional powers, and a fall from grace would be even more surprising. The Magpies took a step in the right direction but holding serve on their own pitch, getting a fourth minute strike from midfielder Jermaine Jenas and making ti stand up for the whole match. Newcastle outshot the Reds, 13-5, in the match. Liverpool's star goalkeeper Jerzy Dudek got the Man of the Match for stopping five of the Magpies' six shots on goal, despite giving up the match-winning shot.

Portsmouth 2, Aston Villa 2 If the surprise sensation Pompey are to continue in that role this season, they are going to need to pull out the easier home matches against Aston Villa, which wasn't expected to be very good this season--and haven't been. In fact, the Pompey needed a 73rd minute score from striker Teddy Sheringham to equalise things, after allowing an early 1-0 lead to disappear. The Villans got scores from midifelder Otto Addo and star striker Darius Vassell to take the lead by early in the second half. Winger Patrik Berger got the early score in the 12th minute for Portsmouth. Aston Villa came to play--they outshot the home side 13-6, with 10 shots on goal, and earning Pompey goalkeeper Harold Wapenaar the man of the Match.

Tottenham 0, Leicester 0 The Cockerels and Foxes were two teams that came into the match playing better than they did to start the season. Tottenham had lost just once in its last four Premiership matches, while Leicester had a three-match win streak. So it figures they would end up in a scoreless draw--the fourth of an odd day of scoreless draws in the Premiership. The two squads managed just 12 shots overall, with the Cockerels getting eight of them. Goalkeeper Kasey Keller of Tottenham got the Man of the Match with three saves in net.

Wolverhampton 1, Chelsea 1 A squad as talented as Chelsea is shouldn't be drawing with the Wolves. Nonethelss,t he underachiev9ing squad continued to do so Saturday with the draw against low-talent Wolverhampton. The Blues outshot the Wolves, 7-2, but they were unable to stop winger Mark Kennedy from tying the score up in the 70th minute. Until Kennedy scored, a tight Chelsea defense almost made a 34th minute goal by Hernán Crespo stand up. Wolves' centreback Isaac Okoronkwo got the Man of the Match with seven tackles, 10 of 14 headers won, and 10 interceptions.

Injuries & Suspensions

The injury of the day occurred to Tottenham fullback Gregg Berhalter. In the 20th minute, the American defender took a misstep, and his knee gave way, leaving him writhing on the White Hart Lane pitch. The diagnosis after the match was that Berhalter had damaged his cruciate ligament in his right knee, and would miss the rest of the season. He might be able to return in May, but it seems unlikely he would be forced into action for the last couple matches of the season for Tottenham.

Newcastle midfielder Jermaine Jenas, as a regular for one of the league's top squads, was probably the most notable injury, if not severe. Just halfway into a match he essentially won with the only goal, Jenas pulled up short on a run with a hurt hamstring. The muscle was torn and will shelve Jenas through November at least.

The rest of the injuries--of which tere were quite a few--turned out to be day-to-day.

There was some significant action in the discipline department.

Birmingham defender Mike Duff was sent off in the 28th minute for grabbing the shirt of Leeds midfielder Jody Morris on a breakaway on Saturday, a loss which severely inhibited his side in a 2-0 loss.

Charlton forward Graham Stuart isn't likely getting any kind words from manager Alan Curbishley. Stuart was sent off with a quick two yellow cards in the 49th minute of the Addicks' 0-0 draw with Fulham after arguing a foul call on fellow teammate Carlton Cole.

Tottenham fullback Stephen Carr was sent off with his second yellow card after the ref thought he slid in too hard on Leicester striker James Scowcraft on Saturday. Since the penalty came in the 88th minute, though, it had little effect on the outcome of the 0-0 scoreless draw.

Old 03-31-2004, 04:29 AM   #285
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Damn Blackburn.

As an aside, in my game, Emerton kicked my butt every single time he played against us as well.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:34 PM   #286
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Damn Blackburn.

As an aside, in my game, Emerton kicked my butt every single time he played against us as well.

I'm glad it's consistent. What did you expect, a 30-game unbeaten streak? Like that would happen in real life!

CR

Old 04-01-2004, 10:17 PM   #287
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

MONDAY, October 20, 2003

Murphy Returns From Watford

MIDDLESBROUGH-- Fullback and midfielder David Murphy returned from his three-month loan with First Division Watford, FC Middlesbrough announced on Sunday.

The 19-year-old defender appeared in 11 matches for Watford, compiling a 6.73 rating and 3.39 tackles per match, to go along with a goal.

Murphy was sent on loan earlier this summer after the Boro coaching staff determined he was unlikely to see significant time with the first team, at least in the early going.

Interim Boro manager Matthew Kieta said Murphy would be sent to the Boro reserve squad to continue to hone his skills. The young defender is considered to be one fo the Boro's better prospects, with excellent technical defensive skills and above average speed.

Kieta said Murphy still had a long way to go with his handling of on-pitch tactics and that he needed a good season or two of steady conditioning to help the slight prospect gain some strength.

Kieta did not rule out a return to a loan for Murphy. The young player appeared in eight matches with the Boro last season, going scoreless.

He is the second player to return to the Boro from a loan in the past two weeks, after midfielder Mark Wilson returned from Stoke City earlier this month.

Old 04-01-2004, 10:47 PM   #288
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

TUESDAY, October 21, 2003

The Boro Pursue Zenden

London Reports Have Chelsea Accepting A Middlesbrough Offer For The Winger Loanee

LONDON-- Premiership power Chelsea has reportedly accepted a Middlesbrough transfer offer for Dutch winger Boudewijn "Bolo" Zenden on Monday.

Reports surrounding the London-based club are indicating the Blues have accepted a Ł3.5 M offer for the loaned-out winger from the Boro, which currently have him as a key part of their first team.

Neither Chelsea nor Middlesbrough club officials would confirm the reports on Monday.

Chelsea has had Zenden, a veteran international of 46 matches for the Netherlands, on the transfer-list since the offseason, but had yet to drum up much interest.

Zenden has been and will continue to be on loan with the Boro for the 2003-04 season.

The 27-year-old has been the top playmaker for the Boro this season, with five assists in eight matches so far this year, including one cup match. Zenden has put together a 6.87 rating, to go along with 3.5 tackles and 1.25 runs per match.

Zenden scored one goal in 21 appearances of part time duty with Chelsea last season. He has 29 career goals in 235 club appearances across a ten-year professional career, including stints with Dutch power PSV and Primera Liga squad Barcelona. Zenden also has six goals in 46 appearances for his native Holland.

If the reports turn out to be true, it will be the Boro's second big ticket future transfer of the season, after they negotiated a transfer deal for their Spanish midfielder star Gaizka Mendieta. Mendieta, who is on loan with Lazio, is the target of an arranged transfer for Ł4.7 M that will go through in June. The Boro negotiated the deal with the Serie A power and Mendieta in September.

Football observers note that the collective Ł8.2 M transfer fees would far exceed the Boro's remaining transfer budget of Ł3.4 M, and the club has yet to place any of its current players ont he list to try and make up the difference.

Old 04-01-2004, 11:58 PM   #289
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

WEDNESDAY, October 22, 2003

Kieta Mum On Who Is Going

Boro Manager Refuses To Name Names Of Players Who Might Leave To Pay For Mendieta And Zenden

MIDDLESBROUGH-- Interim Boro manager Matthew Kieta refused to give details of his future transfer plans in light of recent reports the Boro had agreed to a transfer for winger Boudewijn Zenden on Monday.

The Boro have about Ł3.4 M left of a transfer budget thought to have started around Ł5 M this season, but have confirmed a Ł4.7 M future transfer for Lazio for midfielder Gaika Mendieta, and are reportedly working on a Ł3.5 M transfer for Zenden, on loan from Chelsea.

If the Zenden reports are true, the Boro will need to sell off some players to make up a deficit almost as large as their initial transfer budget to finish off the purchases of Mendieta and Zenden.

Despite that, Kieta would not say if he had centered on any players to move to pay for the transfers, nor would he even confirm the Zenden rumors.

"At this time, I think it's best if we allow [the Zenden transfer] to remain behind the scenes," Kieta said. "We do have interest in retaining Bolo's services past this season."

Kieta's silence was not shared by some of his players.

"Yeah, I am concerned," star forward Juninho said Tuesday after practice. "I think Gaizka and Bolo are great players, but some guys will have to go to pay for them. What good will we be if we sacrifice some good players at other positions for just two guys?"

Juninho said he is even worried about his own spot with the Boro, and considering whether he may need to look at moving clubs.

Kieta was adamant that Juninho was not in any danger. A move involving the popular Brazilian forward would likely incite a mini-revolt among Boro supporters and teammates alike, among whom he is well-respected.

"Juninho has nothing to worry about," Kieta said. "He's not just a critical part of the first team, he's a big part of this community. I have no intentions of moving him."

Removing emotion or team chemistry reasons, Juninho would be a logical target. A natural midfielder, Juninho has been playing slightly out of position on the front line this season. Were the Boro to acquire the top forwards they have been seeking since the summer, Juninho would seem to be a player without a first-eleven spot. As a name player of some value, a Juninho transfer would likely cover the entire transfer deficit.

Kieta said the transfer deficit is having its effect on other areas of squad improvement as well, as he believes it will need to be taken care of before other transfers are completed.

"We have our scouts and looking for young talent, good, quality kids, to rebuild the organizational depth here at Middlesbrough," Kieta said. "But until we take care of any issues with our transfer budget, we will be unable to pursue the youth players we are looking at."

Kieta said that despite the possibility the funds won't be there, the club scouts remain on the move, looking at possible future Boro players all across Europe, and even beyond.

"I can't say enough about our scouting staff," Kieta said. "They have done a wonderful job and have focused us on some players I think we will be able to bring in to help this team out."

Kieta refused to specify what players he was looking at, saying it would be "inappropriate to comment" two months before the next available transfer window is to open.

The scouts may also be looking at potential Bosman transfers. Hundreds of player contracts are due for termination in June, and those players with expiring contracts will be eligible to agree to negotiate their future employment six months prior to the end of their current contracts. That means players will start to become Bosman-eligible in the next two to three months.

Kieta confirmed the club is looking at both Bosman and standard transfers.

The manager was much more open in discussing the club's recent play.

"I have been pleased by our recent on-pitch results," Kieta said. "The guys are showing some good play right now. We need to use that and build some momentum."

The Boro drew with mighty Manchester United on Saturday after beating Bolton on the road on October 5. The two-match unbeaten streak follows a four-league-match stretch in which the Boro failed to score a single goal and lost three.

The key might be a tactical change. The Boro switched from a forward-moving 4-4-2 to a 3-1-4-2, removing the fullbacks for a defensive midfielder and an extra centreback. The tactic fits better with the Boro depth, which is long on midfielders and short on fullbacks.

The Boro will continue to be tested int heir new tactic, with a visit to mighty Arsenal at Highbury and Saturday, followed by a Carling League matchup at Southampton next week. They will also be playing Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle over the next month.

Man U Reserves Beat Boro Youth, 2-0

Mark Wilson returned to the Boro against a familiar opponent on Tuesday.

The midfielder, playing in his first match with the Boro reserves since returning from a loan with First Division Stoke City, was on the pitch when his former team, the Manchester United reserve squad, beat his current one 2-0.

Wilson played with the United reserves before being transfered to Middlesbrough three years ago with first team midfielder Jonathon Greening.

The Red Devil reserve squad dominated the Boro at Moss Lane in Altrincham the way their first team partners likely should have against the Boro on Saturday. They allowed just one Boro shot, and it wasn't even on goal. They got first half scores from striker Frazer Campbell and winger Benjamin Collett to lead the way.

Centreback Adrian Nevins dominated the pitch-play to get the Man of the Match award, with eight tackles, six of seven headers won, an intercpetion, four runs, a drawn foul and an assist.

Old 04-02-2004, 02:15 AM   #290
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

WEDNESDAY, October 22, 2003

Big Night For United Kingdom In Champions

Man U, Chelsea, Rangers All Win Key Matches In Their Groupings Tuesday

Three groups reached the halfway points of their Champions League group fixtures Tuesday night, and all three United Kingdom clubs in action took big steps forward.

Manchester United and Chelsea of the English Premier League and the Rangers of the Scottish Premier Division all won key matches Tuesday night.

The biggest win belonged to the Scots. The Rangers beat key group rival Dutch power Ajax, 4-1, in Glasgow.

Rangers came into the match badly needing a win after blowing an early advantage with a 3-0 loss to PAO last month. The unexpected loss to the Greek national A Division squad took the luster off of Rangers' opening draw with superpwer Real Madrid, and left them just a point ahead of Ajax in Group E.

Surprising PAO was in first with wins over Rangers and Ajx, while Real Madrid had the second spot after following up its Ranger draw with a win over Ajax.

On Tuesday night, Scotland made limited chances count, as they built up a 3-0 lead by the 48th minute, despite being outshot on the match 12-8 by the Dutch side.

The Rangers are still in third, but just two points behind PAO and three behind group leader real Madrid, which beat PAO 2-0 in Madrid Tuesday night. Ajax, without a single win, is in last with zero points.

Manchester United beat Primera Liga squad Celta, 2-0, in Vigo, Spain Tuesday night to regain the lead in Group G.

United was coming off of a surprising placing itself after being surprised at home by Russian premier Division squad Lokomotiv Moscow last month. The Russian club drew Manchester United and put both teams in a tie for first in the group.

United's win, coupled with Lokomotiv Moscow's surprising 2-0 loss at home to Bundesliga club VfB Stuttgart, gives the Red Devils a nice three-point lead over te Russian club in Group G. VfB Stuttgart's win draws them even with Celta at three points, one behind Lokomotiv Moscow.

Manchester United dominated the Celta match, outshooting the Spanish club 15-4. Still, it was close until forward Ole Gunnar Solskjćr scored in the 81st minute. Until then, United was attempting to make a 13th minute penalty score by forward Paul Scholes stand up ina tough match.

At Stamford Bridge, Chelsea was facing a huge match with defending UEFA and Super Cup champion Porto of the Portuguese Superleague. Serie A power Juventus had the clear edge in Group F with wins over both Porto and Chelsea, but the two Juventus victims had each won their other match against Greek side AEK.

That made Tuesday's match an early battle for that key second place spot. The Blues came through with flying colors, crushing Porto 4-0. Romanian forward Adrian Mutu was the star, scoring a natural hat trick to lead Chelsea. Striker Hernán Crespo added the finishing touch in the 80th minute.

Chelsea limited Porto to just two shots total, neither of which came on goal.

The win puts Chelsea in second with six points, three behind Juventus, which beat AEK on the road, 2-1. Porto is third with three points, while AEK has zero points.

Group H was also in action, and was the only one of the four groups Tuesday night to not include a squad from the British Isles.

Austria Vienna of the Austrian Premier Division surprised Serie A superpower Inter, 1-0, at home Tuesday night to draw even with the Italian club for first. La Ligue One squad Lyon blew a chance to stay even with Inter and Austria Vienna when it allowed itself to be drawn at home by last place Dortmund, 2-2.

The first four groups, A, B, C, and D, are in action tonight, including Arsenal going to Celtic Park in Glasgow to face off with Newcastle in a key Group A match. Newcastle is also playing, hosting a match at St. James Park versus Ukrainian High League squad Shakthar.

Old 04-03-2004, 05:25 PM   #291
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

THURSDAY, October 23, 2003

Arsenal Lose Match, Ljungberg

The Winger Hurts His Back In 2-0 Champions League Loss To Scotland's Celtic

Wednesday night was one of the few ones Gunners' fans will likely want to forget in what has otherwise been a near golden season thus far.

Arsenal was largely outplayed by fellow United Kingdom squad Celtic in the match, being outshot 9-5, and only putting two shots on goal.

The more serious event, though, may have been the loss of Swedish winger Freddie Ljungberg. The playmaking winger came off bad in a challenge with Celtic winger Didier Agathe and fell to the pitch awkward and hard.

The winger had to be stretchered off of the Celtic Park pitch with a back injury. After the match it was determined Ljungberg had slipped a disk and would miss four months.

"There should have been a foul on that call," Arsenal manager Arsčne Wenger said. "Maybe a card, too. Freddie's fall was clearly caused by Agathe going up too hard."

Wenger's comments, however, come after a match in which Arsenal played a brutally physical match, with 19 fouls to Celtic's 8, and with all three of the match's yellow cards being assessed to the Gunners.

Celtic got a score from striker Chris Sutton in the 26th minute, and then clinched it with a strike from star forward Henrik Larsson--an international teammate of Ljungberg--int he 56th minute.

The win moved Celtic up until a second place tie with Arsenal in Group A of the Champions League, Europe's most prestigious club competition. The Scottish Premier Division squad have matched Arsenals' 4 points halfway through the group fixture.

Serie A power Lazio took the lead in Group A after beating Greek National A Division squad Olympiakos, 2-1, at home, putting them on top with seven points. The Italian club came into the match tied with Arsenal after the two sides drew at Highbury on October 1.

Arsenal and Celtic weren't the only British Isles squads in action. Newcastle hosted Ukrainian High League power Shakhtar at St. James Park Wednesday night.

Shakhtar came into the match leading Group B, making the matchup for the Magpies all the more critical.

Newcastle came through, scoring a tough 1-0 win in which they were suprisingly dominated at home. The Ukrainian side outshot them 13-5, including a 9-3 on-goal disadvantage, but goalkeeper Shay Given was on his game, turning away all shots for the Man of the Match.

The only goal of the match went to fullback Andrew Griffin in the 53rd minute.

The win propelled Newcastle into first place in Group B with 6 points. Primera Liga squad Real Sociedad missed out on an opportunity to stay with the Magpies when they srew with La Ligue One squad Monaco in France, 1-1. The draw puts them in a second-place tie with Shakhtar with four points each.

Group C came into the day's action as the most intriguing of the competition's eight groupings so far. All three sides had a win and a loss int he first two rounds and were tied at three points apiece.

Things got clearer Wednesday, as Portugueuse Superleague squad benfica grabbed control of the group with a 3-1 home win over Belgian squad Anderlecht. A 1-1 tie in the Netherlands between Dutch power PSV and Germany's superpower bayern Munich kept both squads two points behind Benfica. With just three points separating top from bottom, this group remains wide open halfway through the group fixture.

There aren't any question of who is winning Group D, as defending Champions Cup holder AC Milan continues to dominate play in its run at a repeat. The Italian superpower crushed Turkish squad Besiktas 5-0 in Italy Wednesday night, to give AC Milan three wins in three matches, nine points and a commanding five-point lead.

Second-place belongs to surprising Norwegian squad Rosenborg, which itself dominated Primera Liga squad Deportivo in Norway Wednesday night, winning 3-0. Rosenborg has four points. Besiktas is in third place with two points, while Deportivo has just one point.

The fourth round of the Champions League group stage will take place on November 4-5. The groups in action Wednesday night will play on November 4, with an immediate turnaround in the fixture--every matchup is a rematch of Wednesday's, but on the road squad's home pitch.

Arsenal will get another shot at Celtic in the near future, and this time it's at Highbury.

European League Notes

Finnish squad FC Hämeenlinna protected its spot in the Finnish Premier Division by beating Finnish First Division squad VPS, 6-1, in a two-leg playoff over the last four days.

As the second-to-last squad in Finalnd's top division, FC Hämeenlinna needed to beat VPS, the second-place finisher in the First Division, to keep its spot in the Premier Division.

Last weekend, Jaro was relegated for finsihing in last place, and was replaced by First Division champion Honka.

HJK finished the season as the champion of the Premier Division.

Old 04-03-2004, 06:58 PM   #292
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SATURDAY, October 25, 2003

Middlesbrough (3-2-4) at Arsenal (7-1-1)

Where: Highbury, London
Forecast: 8ş C
Arsenal Out: MR Freddie Ljungberg

Outlook: A visit to Highbury is never a comforting thought for Premiership squads, but the Boro might be catching the table-topping Gunners at just the right time. It appears Arsenal is at a gut-check point of its season, coming off of its first Premiership loss to Blackburn last week, and then falling to Celtic in the Champions League on Wednesday. Further hampering Arsenal's mood, they lost star winger Freddie Ljungberg to a slipped disc in the Celtic match, and he will be out until February at least. The Boro are coming off of one of their bigger matches of the year with a 0-0 home draw against mighty Manchester United, and they have a two-match unbeaten streak. That said, they aren't far off froma three-match losing streak and a four-match scoreless string.

Manchester City (4-3-2) at Manchester United (5-2-2) One of the biggest derbies in Premiership history resumes action on Saturday. The two sides, and their embattled fans, brutally hate each other. And on top of that, City is off to a strong start, making this match one with importance outside of Manchester, which is up for grabs here. United is coming off of a surprising draw at Middlesbrough last week, and they have also seen scoreless draws against Portsmouth and Lokomotiv Moscow in the Champions League, so their play, especially on offense, has been better. Still, counting international and league play, haven;t been beaten for seven matches, going back to a 2-0 loss at St. James Park in Newcastle in September. City hasn't played as well as it did to start the season. Manchester City were drawn at home by Bolton last week, 0-0, and lost to Leicester City on the road earlier this month.

The Rest Of The Matches

Middlesbrough at Arsenal
Blackburn Rovers at Aston Villa
Tottenham Hotspur at Bolton Wanderers
Everton at Charlton Athletic
Portsmouth at Chelsea
Fulham at Leeds United
Birmingham City at Leicester City
Wolverhampton at Liverpool
Newcastle United at Southampton

Old 04-03-2004, 08:00 PM   #293
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SUNDAY, October 26, 2003

Boro Put Scare In Arsenal

Middlesbrough Nearly Matches Powerful Gunners Blow For Blow Before Falling 1-0

LONDON-- One week after drawing manchester United at home, Middlesbrough was just an errant shot or two away from pulling off the upset of the year on Saturday.

Arsenal held on to beat the Boro, 1-0, despite being outshot on goal 6-4, and facing off Boro control of the ball in Arsena;'s defensive third of the pitch for 31% of the running time. A first minute atrike by striker Theirry Henry proved to be the difference, as neither Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann nor Boro netminder Mark Schwarzer proved easy to beat in front of 35,529 at Highbury.

"We all know how much close means," interim Boro manager Matthew Kieta said. "It's still a loss. I think the guys played well, but we could have and should have gotten points out of that match."

Perhaps viewing the Boro as lighter fare on their fixture, Arsenal rested a few of its key players, including forwards Dennis Bergkamp and Silvain Wiltord, and star defenders Sol Campbell and Ashley Cole. Still, Henry, their premier player and Lehmann were both in the lineup along with winger Robert Pires, and midfielders Patrick Vieira and Gilberto.

For the match, Arsenal actually outshot the Boro, 11-9, but they couldn't bring their shots down, as the Boro forced them to take longer shots.

That mattered little, though, after the first minute. Fullback Gaël Clichy collected a clear out kick and put a long pass to the right corner of the penalty area and winger Ray Parlour, starting in place of injured Freddie Ljungberg. Parlour beat Boro winger Boudewijn Zenden in the air and headed a beautiful pass forward into the goal box area. Henry had slipped behind centreback Chris Riggott and was all alone for the pass. Schwarzer never had a chance as the star French striker blasted the shot into the right end of the net, just over Scwarzer's right shoulder.

Given the early score, the Gunner supporters might have expected an easy match after that start. They were treated to anything but.

In the first half, the Boro had several breakaways that tested Lehmann and the Gunner defense. In the 13th minute, forward Joseph-Désiré Job break into the box from the left side and blasted a shot at lehmann that the German keeper clutched.

A couple minutes later, striker Massimo Maccarone broke free into the right of the goal box and hit a hard shot that, unfortunately, went right on Lehmann, who again grabbed it.

Lehmann had to survive an open Job shot at the left post, a breakthrough by Maccarone that was just cleared by centreback Jonnes Djourou, and a curving Juninho freekick at the right post.

Schwarzer wasn't tested as often, but not surprisingly, when he was, it was by Henry, a player the Boro had no answer for. Henry was splitting defenders on runs all day, and would have ended up with more than three shots--two on goal--were it not for stellar marking play by centreback Gareth Southgate.

Henry got the Man of the Match for his game-winning goal, four runs and five drawn fouls.

"That's why he is a star," Kieta said. "He really came to play today, and we just couldn't really stop him. He could have scored on a few of those other plays, so it seems funny he should score ona paly he shouldn't have had in the first place."

Kieta said Riggott, who had an uncharacteristically bad day, should have known to be more careful with Henry on the scoring play. Also, fullback Danny Mills had a lot of problems with Pires, who set up a lot of the Gunners' scoring chances from the left side of the pitch.

"Every Pires cross was a crisis," Kieta said. "I know Danny can play better than he showed today."

Mills was subbed in the 74th minute after putting up a performance that raters ranked as just a four. Mills wasn't alone, though--the embattled Maccarone, who failed to make good on some nice opportunities and has been in kieta's doghouse for much of the season, also garnered a four.

Kieta refused to comment on Maccarone's performance.

The Boro take a brief break from Premiership p[lay to resume their march for the League Cup. They travel to Southampton to take on the Saints in the third round on Wednesday. They follow that up with a home match against Aston Villa next Saturday.

Old 04-03-2004, 10:34 PM   #294
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SUNDAY, October 26, 2003

It's Official: Zenden To Boro Next Year

The Club Announces It Has Come To A Contract Agreement With The Dutch Winger From Chelsea

MIDDLESBROUGH-- The club finally put to rest the rumors swirling around their Chelsea loan Boudewijn "Bolo" Zenden Saturday when Middlesbrough announced it had secured the Dutch winger's signature to a contract for next year.

The winger, currently with the Boro on loan from Chelsea, will officially move to Middlesbrough on transfer on June 8, 2003, for Ł3.5 M. Incidentally, that is the same day Lazio midfielder Gaizka Mendiatea--another loanee with the team--will be making his Ł4.7 M move to the Premiership club.

"Bolo has been a tremendous playmaker for us on the left side," interim Boro manager Matthew Kieta said after the club's 1-0 loss to Arsenal on Saturday. "He and Giazka give us a completely new look in the midfield this season, and allows us to move Juninho forward, who has been one of our few consistent players up front."

Zenden leads the Boro with five assists is nine appearances, with the club, including a cup match. He has a 6.89 avergae rating so far this season.

The 27-year-old winger is also a member of Holland's national team. He has appeared as a sub in one appearance this season for Holland, putting up a 7 rating.

The details of Zenden's contract were not announced, but the club did say they had been working on a contract with the winger since Chlesea accepted their Ł3.5 M transfer offer on Monday, confirming reports that came out of the London area earlier this week.

"I look back on my time at Stamford Bridge withg fondness," Zenden said, "and I will miss many of the guys there. But it's clear the Blues have moved in a different direction and that I am no longer in their plans. This is just a tremendous opportunity for me,a nd I hoep my new teammates and I can bring glory to Teeside."

Zenden was with Chelsea for two seasons, last year appearing in 21 matches with one goal scored. In a ten-year career with Chelsea, Primera Liga power Barcelona and Dutch club PSV, Zenden has 29 goals in 236 matches. He also has six goals in 46 caps with Holland.

The official addition of Zenden at the end of the season isn't likely to make Kieta's job any easier the rest of the way. With a reported Ł3.4 M left in the Middlesbrough budget, the manager will have to come up with almost Ł5 M in additional transfer funds by June to cover the Zenden and Mendieta moves.

The manager has refused to say who on the squad he would look to move to recover those funds, but he may have to make a decision soon, with the next transfer window coming up in January.

Middlesbrough chairman Steve Gibson has not said whether he would be willing to give Kieta more funds before the end of the season. Kieta was given Ł5 M to begin the season.

The rumor mill has it that several players have expressed concern over the club's ability to handle the moves, with just star forward Junihno speaking of it publically. The Brazillian forward has said it has him concerned enough to be considering a club move, prompting the manager to say Juninho was not one of the players targetted for a transfer.

Boro Under-19s Draw With Blackburn, 0-0

Gaolkeeper David Knight, who has been excellent for the Boro this season, returned to his strong play after allowing two goals in a match against Derby last week.

The 16-year-old youth prospect blanked Blackburn in a scoreless draw at The Stadium in Billingham Saturday, to earn his fifth clean sheet in eight matches, and also his third Man of the Match award.

In a very defensive match, the Boro Under-19s got just two shots off against the Rovers' youth squad, putting just one on goal. Blackburn itself had just five shots, four on goal.

Thanks largely to Knight's sterling play, the Boro reserve squad is fourth in its reserve league, with a 5-1-2 record. Derby is on top of the table, followed by Lincoln and Blackburn. The Boro are six points back of Derby.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 04-03-2004 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:24 AM   #295
3ric
College Starter

Reporter Question:
"Does Maccarone's poor play against Arsenal display a lack of depth among Middlesbrough forwards?"
Old 04-04-2004, 03:04 AM   #296
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SUNDAY, October 26, 2003

Arsenal 1, Middlesbrough 0 The Gunners got back on the winning track at Highbury on Saturday, albeit barely. They didn't dominate like you would expect facing a lower-end squad in Middlesbrough, but they got the score they needed from star striker Thierry Henry and made it stand up. The Gunners outshot the Boro, 11-9, but had a 6-4 on-goal disadvantage. Henry got the Man of the Match for his goal, four runs and five drawn fouls. Last week, Arsenal lost its first match of the Premiership fixture after it fell to Blackburn. The Gunners remain atop the Premiership standings.

Aston Villa 1, Blackburn 0 Aston Villa came into this one with a three-match unbeaten league streak, and got a nice notch in their cap when they went out and edged the Rovers, coming off of a big win over Arsenal. This match wasn't one for offense, with just none shots total taken. The Rovers only took three, with just one on goal. It seems fitting the only score of the match didn't even count against the total. Midfielder Thomas Hitzlsperger scored a penalty in the 75th minute to provide the difference for the Villans. Fullback Gareth Barry got the Man of the Match with domianting air play in front of the net. He won 13 of 14 headers and also had eight interceptions.

Tottenham 1, Bolton 0 It took four matches but the Spurs finally got a win. Tottenham came intot he match with trhee straight draws and looking to finally get a win, and Bolton was just what the doctor ordered. The Wanderers were on a four-match winless streak prior to hosting the Cockerels. Still, it was far from easy for Tottenham, as the lone goal wasn't scored until forward Robbie Keane finally solved Bolton keeper Juusi Jääskeläinen in the 87th minute. Tottenham had 13 shots to Bolton's seven including 11 on goal. Keane's frontline partner Bobby Zamora got the Man of the Match award, with a versatile performance that included an interception, a run, four drawn fouls, three shots, strong 12 for 20 head play and an assist on Keane's score.

Charlton 3, Everton 1 Charlton came in with no wins in its last four matches, while Everton had a similar streak at three, including two home losses to Fulham and Southampton in its last two. So something had to give. Early on, it looked like the Blues would come to play, as star striker Wayne Rooney opened scoring in the 14th minute. Addicks' young star striker Carlton Cole, on loan from Chelsea, fixed that up, though, scoring a natural hat trick in just eight minutes. Cole's domianting play produced goals int he 17th, 19th and 25th minutes, shocking Everton into a 3-1 deficit before they even realized it. Not surprisingly, Cole also got the Man of the Match, as Everton went down without a fight.

Chelsea 4, Portsmouth 1 While Chelsea's loanee was scoring a natural with Charlton, one of his primary replacements at Stamford Bridge was doing the same to Portsmouth. Forward Adrian Mutu scored three straight goals in the first half to quickly put the Pompey behind a deficit they could not overcome. The score wasn't even as dominating as it could have been--the Blues outshot Portsmouth 26-4, and put a season league-high 15 shots on goal. Chelsea also got a 90th minute score from fullback Wayne Bridge, countering an 81st minute score by Yakubu. Mutu receiv3ed the Man of the Match.

Leeds 1, Fulham 1 If the Whites want to show they can continue to play strong despite their depleted roster, they are going to need to pull out matches at home against lowly Fulham. The draw was particularly maddening to Leeds supporters in that the Cottagers got the equaliser off of a 90th minute penalty by forward Lee Clark. The frustrating draw came after Leeds outshot Fulham 22-5, and put 14 shots on goal. The lone United score came from winger Jamie McMaster, who scored off of the rebound from Leeds' own failed penalty kick int he 33rd minute. Those looking for a goat can look to centreback Roque Júnior, who's ill-timed slide on Fulham striker Elvis Hammond led to the tying penalty. The Man of the Match went to Fulham Edwin van der Sar, who had a masterful game to keep the Cottagers in this one, including blocking the initial penalty kick by fullback Ian Harte.

Leicester 1, Birmingham 1 Leicester has been steadily climbing the table over the past couple months after a poor start, coming into Saturday's game having won three of four league matches, and not losing since September. Birmingham was beat at home by Leeds last week, but has otherwise enjoyed a strong season and have been near the top of the table since the very beginning. So this was a standout matchup for both squads. As it turns out, neither could a step on the other. Birmingham was outshot by the Foxes, 10-5, but they got the first goal, a score by striker Mikaell Forsell int he 32nd minute. Leicester needed a 49th minute strike from forward Stanley Spencer to tie it up, and they only managed to put three of their 10 shots on goal. Centreback Steve Howey got the Man of the Match with three tackles, seven interceptions and dominating air play, winning an amazing 26 of 28 headers.

Liverpool 2, Wolverhampton 2 This is officially a bad season for the Reds now. Liverpool was stunned at home Saturday when last place Wolverhampton came into Anfield and went out with a stunning draw. The Wolves did it by overcoming a two-goal deficit late in the second half, off of scores from forwards Henri Camara in the 79th minute and Kenny Miller in the 83rd minute. The Reds didn't even dominate on shtos taken, winning that battle just 9-6. Striker Milan Baros was all the offense for the Reds on Saturday, scoring both of their goals int he 25th and 51st minutes. Baros's efforts earned him the Man of the Match.

Manchester United 2, Manchester City 0 The first battle for the city of Manchester is over, and United is the champ. In a key early match, the Red Devils made a second minute score by striker Nicolas Anelka the difference with strong defensive play, limiting City to five shots, three on goal. Still, United itself only had four shots on goal from its 13 total shots, and the superpower didn't put this one away until forward Diego Forlán scored in injury time. Centreback Rio Ferdinand was dominating on defense, with two tackles, two runs, nine intercpetions and 21 of 22 headers, all of which got him the Man of the Match.

Southampton 2, Newcastle 0 The Manchester derby may have been the top match in importance for this round, but this one wasn't far behind. The Saints came into the season hyped, but got off to a bad start. With a three-match unbeaten streak, including a 2-0 win against Everton last week, Southampton seemed to have turned it around. Newcastle, meanwhile, is a traditional powerhouse of the Premiership that has been up and down this season. Last week, they beat Liverpool, 1-0, but prior to that they had a three-match league losing streak, and were dominated at home in a Champions League match with Shakhtar (which, incidentally, they still won). Unfortunately for the Magpies, their inconsistent play continued, and the Saints took advantage. The home squad outshot Newcastle, 12-5, and only allowed them two shots on goal. Southampton got all of its offense from striker Kevin Phillips, who scored in the 45th and 61st minutes. Phillips also received the Man of the Match award.

Injuries & Suspensions

There was only one major injury in the Premiership on Saturday, although it could have been much worse.

Aston Villa winger Moustapha Hadji suffered a broken leg in a brutal challenge for the ball in the 33rd minute of the Villans' 1-0 win over Blackburn. The injury should be a tough one for Aston Vilal to overcome, as Hadji had established himself as a solid starter for the Villans, with two assist and a 7.13 rating in eight appearances so far. He will be out for at least three months, and maybe four.

The next biggest injury also happened to Aston Villa, although it is much lighter in comparison to Hadji's hurt. Goalkeeper Thomas Sorenson hurt his shoulder diving for a shot. He stayed int he match, but afterwards, he was diagnosed with a shoulder bruise that is epxected to keep him out for three days.

While both injuries weren't serious, Manchester United got scares when offensive stars striker Ruud Van Nistlerooy and winger Ryan Giggs both picked up knocks in United's 2-0 win over Manchester City. Nistlerooy happened when he was accidentally hit on the head in an errant earial challenge and had to leave the match int he 37th minute. Giggs pulled up short late in the match with a strain of his thigh. Fortunately for Man U fans, both injuries are considered to be day-to-day.

Unlike last week, when three players were sent off, no one received an on-pitch red card on Saturday.

Manchester City winger Danny Tiatto, though, did receive his fifth yellow card against Manchester United and will have to miss City's League Cup match with Third Division Hull City on Wednesday.

Old 04-04-2004, 04:13 AM   #297
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

MONDAY, October 27, 2003

Wilson Hurt In Training

MIDDLESBROUGH-- Midfielder Mark Wilson, one of the Boro's more prominent reserve players, suffered a groin strain in practice Sunday.

The Boro first team had the day off, as is interim Boro manager Matthew Kieta's policy for days following matches, but the reserve team hasn't been in action since playing Manchester United last Tuesday.

Wilson will miss a week of action, including the reserve squad's match at Newcastle tomorrow.

Wilson recently returned from a three-month loan with First Division Stoke City. The Manchester United matchw as his first match of the season with the Boro reserves.

Norway, Sweden Finishes Out Regular Seasons

The Norwegian and Swedish premier divisions wrapped up their regular seasons on Sunday, although the end results haven't been in doubt for some time.

Rosenborg has made it an annual tradition to win the Norwegian Premier Division, and this year is no different. Not only did Rosenborg, based out of Trondheim, win the division for the 12th straight season, they had it wrapped up by August.

Rosenborg won 20 of 26 league matches and finsihed 17 points ahead of second place Stabćk, with a 20-3-3 record and 63 total points. Stabćk finished with a 14-4-8 record and 46 points, just ahead of Odd Grenland with a 12-5-9 record and 41 points.

Last year's second place squad Molde finished in fourth with 40 points, and traditional past powers like Viking and Lillestrom finished 8th and 9th respectively, with 34 and 33 points. Viking was the last side to win the Norwegian Premier Division besides Rosenborg, winning its last title in 1991.

Twelfth place Aalesund just won its way up to the Premier Division, and it's already having to fight to stay. Byt finishing third-to-last, Aalesund will have to place Norwegian First Division third-place squad Fredrikstad for its spot in the division.

Bodo-Glimt and Bryne weren't so lucky. As the bottom two teams in the division, they are automatically relegated to the First Division. They will be replaced by First Division champ Honefoss, and runner up Moss.

Bryne in particular could use a move down. They won just two of their 26 league matches and finished with 11 points, 16 back of Bodo-Glimt, and an astoundingly bad -37 goal differential.

In Sweden, it has likely been a foregone conclusion in the Swedish premier Division, albeit not for as long as for Rosenborg.

AIK finished well ahead of the rest of the division with 64 points, via a 21-1-4 record, and 10 points ahead of IFK Göteborg. Of course, even IFK Göteborg finished 12 points over everyone else, which shows how far ahead the two teams were in front of the division. IFK Göteborg finished with a 16-6-4 record and 54 points.

Third place was a tie between Malmö FF and Djurgŕrden at 42 points, the top two sides from last year.

The most stunning result, though, was from last year's third place squad OIS, which dropped to within a couple points of automatic relegation this season. OIS will have to play First Division third place squad Trelleborg for its spot in the Premier Division.

Speaking of relegation, Sunday spelled the end for last place Oster and second-to-last Enköpings SK, which were officially sent down to the Swedish First Division. They will be replaced by Kalmar FF and Norrköpping.

Old 04-04-2004, 09:01 AM   #298
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Go Gooners!

Er, sorry Chief. It had to be said.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:11 PM   #299
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The fans are singing a version of the old Monkees song..

"Cheer up sleepy Dream.. Oh what can it mean..
"To be a Boro Fan.. Cheering on a shite football teammmmmm"

(not that I'd do such things, mind you )
Old 04-04-2004, 08:29 PM   #300
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

You guys both suck.

CR