Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
that was put to rest in last year's championship

Then here hangs the hopes of a GA fan
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:53 PM   #252
Tigercat
College Starter

If LSU doesn't go, I hope its Oklahoma. As an LSU fan, I wouldn't even have a problem with Oklahoma. I think LSU is more deserving by at least a hair, but with two loses(not getting the job done enough) one can't argue if someone or something else splits the hairs a different way.

Now Georgia... Having TWO losses and not winning your division should just be a huge eliminator. It would be one thing if Georgia lost in a championship game. Or if Georgia had one loss and didn't get in their championship game.

But when you have two losses and don't win your division? And don't play and win in a Championship game like the other teams with as many losses as you? Georgia hasn't done enough to earn a NC shot. If they get there, despite the fact that they have looked very good towards the end of the year, they truly have backed into that spot.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:55 PM   #253
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Meanwhile, I-AA (excuse me, Football Playoff Subdivision) happily continues their 16 team playoff schedule with no scheduling or logistical issues.

Except that those teams have just played (today) their 13th game in order to reach the semi-finals.

All of the D1 conference champions playing today just played their 13th game before this hypothetical tournament even started.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:58 PM   #254
14ers
High School Varsity

And, Washington scores on the opening drive.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:58 PM   #255
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

hawaii down 7-0 and fumble inside their own 30
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:59 PM   #256
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Did Mizzou B-Ball Fan make the trip to San Antonio? For all the shit he was talking in the Week 13 thread, he hasn't posted once in this thread.

Yeah, I'd be curious to see what he has to say as well. I'm guessing that OU owes him a thank you for Mizzou giving them another one. <--- Good-natured humor.

I'd also like to hear from IMTG. Two weeks ago, Kansas was going to blow out Mizzou and then OU was going to get blown out by either Kansas or MU in the Championship game.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 12-01-2007 at 11:11 PM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:59 PM   #257
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The scenario I am in favor of is capping the season at 11 games, plus one for the conferences that want to have a conference championship game.

There are currently 11 Div. 1A conferences. Each conference champion receives an automatic berth. Then 5 at-large teams are selected, via what ever method is decided upon. That will make a 16 team playoff. The teams not in the playoffs that have 6 wins are still bowl eligible. So like the NIT in basketball, those teams will still have an extra game to play. With a 16 team playoff, 8 teams play one more game, 4 teams play two more games, 2 teams play three more games, and the two teams that play for the championship play one more.

IMHO, the reason you play a full season is to get your players to gel as a team. If you depend wholly on one player, and that player goes down, then that is they chance you take. By the end of a season, you should have identified and played the backups, so they are ready to step in and contribute. I think the way a team plays at the end of a season is much more important that how they start the season. Right now, USC is playing as well as anyone in college football, and they would more than likely make noise deep into a playoff, if there was one.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:00 PM   #258
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
If LSU doesn't go, I hope its Oklahoma. As an LSU fan, I wouldn't even have a problem with Oklahoma. I think LSU is more deserving by at least a hair, but with two loses(not getting the job done enough) one can't argue if someone or something else splits the hairs a different way.

Now Georgia... Having TWO losses and not winning your division should just be a huge eliminator. It would be one thing if Georgia lost in a championship game. Or if Georgia had one loss and didn't get in their championship game.

But when you have two losses and don't win your division? And don't play and win in a Championship game like the other teams with as many losses as you? Georgia hasn't done enough to earn a NC shot. If they get there, despite the fact that they have looked very good towards the end of the year, they truly have backed into that spot.

I agree with you. But something has to give, as said earlier; either they reward LSU and/or punish UGA. That will have to happen but we will have to brace for the tremendous outcry from UGA about being shafted.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:02 PM   #259
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I agree with you. But something has to give, as said earlier; either they reward LSU and/or punish UGA. That will have to happen but we will have to brace for the tremendous outcry from UGA about being shafted.

Yeah, but there's no shortage of crying from them whenever the entire world doesn't bow at their feet since Herschel Walker once played there.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:02 PM   #260
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Yeah, but there's no shortage of crying from them whenever the entire world doesn't bow at their feet since Herschel Walker once played there.

Who?
Old 12-01-2007, 11:03 PM   #261
Joe
Pro Starter

Washington up on Hawaii 14-0
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:03 PM   #262
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Yeah, but there's no shortage of crying from them whenever the entire world doesn't bow at their feet since Herschel Walker once played there and Vince Dooley once coached there.
Fixed.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:04 PM   #263
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
If LSU doesn't go, I hope its Oklahoma. As an LSU fan, I wouldn't even have a problem with Oklahoma.

My pick would be LSU. Even though I'm not a Lester fan, LSU has two losses in OT. Those are probably the "best" losses, even though one was to Arkansas at home. Virginia Tech is probably next on the list.

I think OU should be in the discussion, particularly since one of their losses was due to losing their starting QB on the first drive of the game. But they don't have room to gripe; there's just no excuse for losing at Colorado.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:05 PM   #264
st.cronin
General Manager

If Georgia goes to the Rose Bowl or the Sugar Bowl, any alumnus/student complaining that they got shafted out of the Championship game should result in the immediate loss of accreditation for that University.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:05 PM   #265
miami_fan
Coordinator

BTW Mountaineer Nation can't be happy with Rich Rodriguez's play calling. The backup QB gets the same amount of carries as Steve Slaton and more caries than Noel Devine? Not good at all.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:05 PM   #266
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Do you think 1-loss Kansas would/should be greater than 2-loss OU and MO?
Old 12-01-2007, 11:05 PM   #267
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Now Washington only needs another, what, 9 touchdowns to have a secure lead.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:06 PM   #268
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Washington up on Hawaii 14-0

Woo hoo!!!!!
Old 12-01-2007, 11:06 PM   #269
molson
General Manager

Quote:

There are currently 11 Div. 1A conferences. Each conference champion receives an automatic berth.

This is a pretty common idea, but never in a million bajillion years would anyone agree on a system that gave Florida Atlantic a better chance at the NCAA Championship than Penn State or Nebraska, which is exactly what that kind of system would do.

You might have schools considering moving into a lower conference in that scenerio - and nobody wants to deal with that.

Last edited by molson : 12-01-2007 at 11:07 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:06 PM   #270
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
If Georgia goes to the Rose Bowl or the Sugar Bowl, any alumnus/student complaining that they got shafted out of the Championship game should result in the immediate loss of accreditation for that University.

Relatively few of the really whiny fan base are alums or students, so I'm not sure that this would really come into play anyway.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:07 PM   #271
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

I know, but they are sitting at BCS #4 right now.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:07 PM   #272
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
This is a pretty common idea, but never in a million bajillion years would anyone agree on a system that gave Florida Atlantic a better chance at the NCAA Championship than Penn State or Nebraska, which is exactly what that kind of system would do.

You might have schools considering moving into a lower conference in that scenerio - and nobody wants to deal with that.

Then send the Sun Belt back to 1AA, and have 6 at large teams.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:10 PM   #273
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Now Washington only needs another, what, 9 touchdowns to have a secure lead.

LOL. Unfortunately, you are probably right, unless they can knock out that gimmick QB.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:10 PM   #274
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Then send the Sun Belt back to 1AA, and have 6 at large teams.

If there's ever a playoff system, automatic berths will never go to anyone but the "power six". You're still giving the MAC or Conference USA a ridiculous and unbalanced amount of tournament presence by guaranteeing them a berth.

Last edited by molson : 12-01-2007 at 11:11 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:11 PM   #275
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
LOL. Unfortunately, you are probably right, unless they can knock out that gimmick QB.

it doesn't matter since the backup plays nearly as well in their system
Old 12-01-2007, 11:11 PM   #276
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

what a hit
Old 12-01-2007, 11:11 PM   #277
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Relatively few of the really whiny fan base are alums or students, so I'm not sure that this would really come into play anyway.

That's a good point.

knives out
Old 12-01-2007, 11:13 PM   #278
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Do you think 1-loss Kansas would/should be greater than 2-loss OU and MO?

I think no. I would say OU, MO, KU.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:13 PM   #279
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
it doesn't matter since the backup plays nearly as well in their system

Except in the game they struggled against MIGHTY Nevada, they had the backup playing.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:14 PM   #280
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Almost 21-0.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:15 PM   #281
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Great season for Missouri this year!! Thanks to Pinkel and this team, it's been one hell of a ride and I can't wait for the cotton bowl or whatever bowl we get to.

Tip of the cap to OU, they played their assess off tonight. Talk about dominating the OL and DL, wow. Will we EVER beat these sons of bitches!! :P
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:16 PM   #282
st.cronin
General Manager

Ok, so which conference has the ugliest fan base? After watching today's Mizzou-OU match, I say its the Big 12. There were some really fat people in the seats.

knives out
Old 12-01-2007, 11:17 PM   #283
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Except in the game they struggled against MIGHTY Nevada, they had the backup playing.

Yeah, but on the season:

Name QBRat
Colt Brennan 163.4
Tyler Graunke 159.7
Old 12-01-2007, 11:18 PM   #284
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ok, so which conference has the ugliest fan base? After watching today's Mizzou-OU match, I say its the Big 12. There were some really fat people in the seats.

Mountain West
Old 12-01-2007, 11:18 PM   #285
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
21-0.

Fixed that for you
Old 12-01-2007, 11:20 PM   #286
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Mountain West

If you want to get technical about it, look at the rankings of Most Fit States. I believe Colorado is #1 and some of the other MWC states are up there. It would be no surprise to see what states are down at the bottom and thus, the conference.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:21 PM   #287
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Gotta be the BE, you have the NE influence and the WVU toothless hill billy
Old 12-01-2007, 11:21 PM   #288
st.cronin
General Manager

Nobody actually knows what Mountain West fans look like, since none of their games are ever on tv.

knives out
Old 12-01-2007, 11:24 PM   #289
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Nobody actually knows what Mountain West fans look like, since none of their games are ever on tv.

I watch them on Versus
Old 12-01-2007, 11:24 PM   #290
Joe
Pro Starter

another Hawaii turnover
Old 12-01-2007, 11:24 PM   #291
Galaxy
Coordinator

Hawaii looks extremely undisciplined.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:25 PM   #292
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
I watch them on Versus

Really, vs. is always Pac 10 here.

knives out
Old 12-01-2007, 11:26 PM   #293
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Hawaii looks extremely undisciplined.

because June Jones recruited most of the players from jail
Old 12-01-2007, 11:27 PM   #294
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Except that those teams have just played (today) their 13th game in order to reach the semi-finals.

All of the D1 conference champions playing today just played their 13th game before this hypothetical tournament even started.

Eliminate the conference championship game, and the D1 teams would also be playing their 13th games to get into the semifinals in an eight-team system.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:28 PM   #295
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
because June Jones recruited most of the players from jail

Sounds like the ACC Florida programs.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:29 PM   #296
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Eliminate the conference championship game, and the D1 teams would also be playing their 13th games to get into the semifinals in an eight-team system.

Except that, as previously discussed, those games aren't likely to go anywhere.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:31 PM   #297
Joe
Pro Starter

Hawaii turnover #3
Old 12-01-2007, 11:31 PM   #298
Galaxy
Coordinator

Another turnover!
Old 12-01-2007, 11:31 PM   #299
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Why isn't Virgina Tech in the discussion for the national title.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:31 PM   #300
Galaxy
Coordinator

It doesn't like they are getting outplayed, just making stupid mistakes.