Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-29-2010, 10:31 PM   #2751
stevew
Hall Of Famer

shudder at someone paying like 7M to Crapps and his FASTBALL! this offseason.

Last edited by stevew : 07-29-2010 at 11:13 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:33 AM   #2752
Izulde
Head Coach

Disappointed the Nationals got Ramos as I was hoping Flowers could be used as bait to help get Dunn, but maybe the 3 way with the D-backs can get done.

If we can't get Fielder, that is.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:58 AM   #2754
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The more that I look at Ramos, the worse of a prospect he looks. Horrific walk rates the last two years. He has the plate discipline of like Neil Walker. 18BB in his last 500 some plate appearences.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:42 AM   #2756
Butter
Coordinator

Count me among the pleased Cincinnati fans that we haven't overreacted to try and get one of these pitchers nownownow. The only one I would've flipped over was Lee, and even that would've been marginal depending on our ability to re-sign him and who the Reds would've given up.

The Reds are fine... they could upgrade at SS, LF, CF, and the bullpen but all have potential solutions within the organization. Would I love to win the WS this year? Absolutely. But do I want to mortgage the next 4 years to do it? No. Keep Wood, Bailey, Heisey, Mesoraco, and Alonso here and let's see what we've got.

Of course, 2 hours from now they might trade half these players away for someone else, but hopefully not.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:13 AM   #2757
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The only one I'd trade out of that group is Alonso. If he's not good enough in LF there just isn't a place for him. A package of he and Maloney might net a decent SS in the offseason.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:15 AM   #2758
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Count me among the pleased Cincinnati fans that we haven't overreacted to try and get one of these pitchers nownownow. The only one I would've flipped over was Lee, and even that would've been marginal depending on our ability to re-sign him and who the Reds would've given up.

The Reds are fine... they could upgrade at SS, LF, CF, and the bullpen but all have potential solutions within the organization. Would I love to win the WS this year? Absolutely. But do I want to mortgage the next 4 years to do it? No. Keep Wood, Bailey, Heisey, Mesoraco, and Alonso here and let's see what we've got.

Of course, 2 hours from now they might trade half these players away for someone else, but hopefully not.

Agree with you somewhat. They have no need for Alonso. He's just never going to have anywhere to play. They aren't going to move Votto to left and from what I've read, Alonso is never going to play out in left. The second one I would disagree with is Bailey. He's never going to make it. He doesn't have the right attitude and if they don't cut their losses at some point, they're going to regret it. Cueto has finally learned because he started listening. Bailey doesn't listen. He just keeps on doing what he thinks is right.

Personally, I think they need a bat more than they do a pitcher. The fact their offense can go from 12 runs to 0 runs in consecutive days isn't good. They need a guy who could ideally play all three OF positions and could platoon with Bruce. If it's Heisy, so be it, then let's see it. Bruce isn't hitting lefties.

Granted, the Reds are a year early compared to what most people think. You still have to go for it. You never know what next year brings. St. Louis not getting anyone has made it a lot easier for the Reds not to be backed into making a move.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:19 AM   #2759
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The problem with trading Bailey is he isn't worth anything right now. I wouldn't mind moving him, but I'd like to see him pitch and trade him in the offseason. Too bad they probably can't find a mirror image of the Voltron/Hamilton trade.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:35 AM   #2760
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, Bailey and Alonso are probably the 2 that I would be most willing to part with, for the reasons you describe. But still, I think Bailey has more untapped potential, if he could stay healthy enough to pitch more than 5 consecutive starts.

Actually, I should refine that to say that I would definitely mortgage the next 4 years for a WS win this year, but as all things in life, there are no guarantees. I just don't want the Reds to get taken like it seems others have.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:59 AM   #2761
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I have to say, these Oswalt v. LeBron similarity stories that are popping up (or are being talked about on radio) are highly irritating. Baseball and basketball are such different sports, and the circumstances of the way the two changed teams are so completely different, that it seems almost disingenuous and/or a purposeful attempt to start an argument (with racial overtones, at that) over nothing. The media sucks.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:00 AM   #2762
Ksyrup

Kenny Williams is being Kenny Williams again. Rumored that the White Sox are looking to deal for Edwin Jackson and move him for Adam Dunn, and also looking at a trade with the Astros for Brett Myers and/or Berkman.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #2763
Ksyrup

Jackson to the White Sox for Hudson and Holmberg is official. Now the question is - how long does he remain in Chicago?
Old 07-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #2764
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Sweet ticket deal in Cincy. Buy season tickets for 2011 and get August and September 2010 seats for free.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #2765
Easy Mac

So, who was the last pitcher to throw a no-hitter, then get traded in the same season?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #2766
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Twins made a bonehead move. Relief pitching hasnt been a big problem for them it has been the starting pitching. Now they trade one of their best prospects for a closer that isnt a huge upgrade IMO.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #2767
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Twins made a bonehead move. Relief pitching hasnt been a big problem for them it has been the starting pitching. Now they trade one of their best prospects for a closer that isnt a huge upgrade IMO.

Wasn't that prospect a catcher? Last asset the Twins need to hang on to is a catching prospect, I would think.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #2771
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
You also thought the Cliff Lee deal was bad. I'll take that as the Twins doing the right thing.

Lee deal is a bad deal. We can talk about it in 5 years. You saying it is a great deal at the point means as much as me saying it is a poor deal so kindly let it rest.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 07-30-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:40 PM   #2772
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Wasn't that prospect a catcher? Last asset the Twins need to hang on to is a catching prospect, I would think.

I think they could have gotten more was my point. Seems like they just rushed into something.

They wouldnt budge on giving up Ramos 2 weeks ago to get Lee now they trade him for a midlin closer.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:41 PM   #2773
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Mauer is already having back problems. Twins will have to move him somewhere else in the field in the next few years. Ramos is a defensive catcher first so it's a somewhat surprising move.

With that said they have another year of control on Capps, Rauch is a FA and Nathan should be back next season so it's a solid move for their pen for 1.5 years.

While I am sure that's true, I haven't heard any noise about the move happening very soon, and I would imagine Mauer hismelf probably doesn't want to move from the position either, not while so young. In the near term, the best position available to a Twins catching prospect is backup catcher or maybe DH (which is a waste for a good defensive catcher, of course).

I'm not saying the Twins can't use catching prospects--just that at this point, with Mauer so young and under contract for so long, if you have other, more immediate needs in the organization and trading a catching prospect will meet that need, then I don't think there's any doubt you do it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-30-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:48 PM   #2774
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I think they could have gotten more was my point. Seems like they just rushed into something.

They wouldnt budge on giving up Ramos 2 weeks ago to get Lee now they trade him for a midlin closer.

Yeah, but that might be an issue of over-valuing two weeks ago. Values have a way of changing as you get closer to the deadline and you realize what the real value of your assets are.

Also, teams are generally better served, I have found, by not being so lock-fisted with their prospects. The Angels are notorious for this, and the end result is usually that said prospects flame out (see: Wood, Brandon) and never amount to anything.

By all reports, we could have had Miggy Cabrera a couple offseasons back if we had been willing to include some mix of Saunders, Santana, Wood, Kendrick or Adenhart. Saunders is a solid pitcher, but never was great shakes (although glad we had him to get Haren). Santana's legit, so that woulda hurt. But Wood's been awful, Kendrick has vastly underachieved and Adenhart of course (sadly) is no longer with us. Come to think it, we pull that deal off, Nick's still alive today (presumeably).

Old 07-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #2775
Ksyrup

Most people in the industry are dumbfounded the Twins gave up a nice catching prospect for a reliever handed saves on a bad team who was on the waiver wire last year. Even if they decide they don't need Ramos, you'd think they would use him to get something of more value than a "saves" guy.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:00 PM   #2777
Subby
lolzcat

It's a play out of the Billy Beane playbook - closers are so overvalued...so go out and get one cheap and trade him for massive value.

RIZZO FOR PRESIDENT
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #2778
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
It's a play out of the Billy Beane playbook - closers are so overvalued...so go out and get one cheap and trade him for massive value.

RIZZO FOR PRESIDENT

Very true. Rauch is putting up decent numbers closing and hes nothing more than an average bullpen arm.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 07-30-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:07 PM   #2779
Ksyrup

Quote:
I love getting Ramos for him but Ramos' bat is still a major question. He's not hit at all above AA and he doesn't seem to have any plate discipline. Both teams made a move that makes sense for where they are.

That might be true, but the overriding sentiment out there is that some team (and perhaps multiple teams) would have given up more than an average reliever for him. And it's not like Capps' price is locked in for next year, either. He's arb-eligible and will be coming off a year in which he's saved 40+ games in all likelihood. So he's going to get way more than he'd command on the open market.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:16 PM   #2781
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The pirates waived Capps because he was awful in 2009, lied about an arm injury in 2008, and was going to get paid for saves. I think there's basically no chance we would have rehabbed any value whatsoever out of Capps, however the Nats were able to. Just as Hanrahan was a pile of shit with the Nats, and we were able to rehab some value from him the past two seasons. Anyways, I guess good luck to both clubs.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #2782
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
I would like to thank Ian Kinsler for making it possible for the Nats to move the remainder of the albatross of Cristian Guzman from the organization.

+1

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #2783
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Rauch has had two good months and two bad months. His July numbers are 5.4 K/9, 6.48 BB/9, 4.07 FIP and 6.2 xFIP. Capps wasn't that bad last year with a bad elbow for most of the year. There's also the difference between a Rauch, a FA and 32 at the end of the year, and Capps, 1 year of arbitration and 27 at the end of the year.

Ramos is a good prospect but he's pretty replaceable. He's not even the best C prospect in the Nats system now, just the most advanced.

I was actually just commenting about how you take an average arm and turn him into a closer that puts up decent numbers. I actually wasnt comparing him to Capps at that time. However I will throw something out there.

Rauch career WAR 5.8(8 seasons)
Capps career WAR 4.3(6 seasons)

Not a whole lot seperates these two. Since Crain is currently in the middle of a long scoreless inning steak and Matt Guerrier is usually very reliable I just didnt see a right handed RP as an area of need.

Twins are 2nd in MLB in bullpen ERA.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 07-30-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #2784
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Some day Cristian Guzman will realize his ultimate potential. The fat SS tandem to Ronnie Belliard's fat 2b double play combo.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:40 PM   #2785
Ksyrup

Does anyone have a clue, or has anyone seen an article explaining, how the Rangers bankruptcy/auction will work? If MLB has to approve an owner, but the restructuring officer and judge determine which offer is acceptable, do they trump MLB? Or, could they choose the highest bidder (say, Mark Cuban) and then have MLB say no to him?

Who trumps whom in this situation? I assume someone, somewhere knows the answer to this. This could be Cuban's way to backdoor into MLB ownership, if the owners essentially have no choice but to accept him if he outbids everyone else by $100M or something. That would be fascinating.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-30-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:41 PM   #2786
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Some day Cristian Guzman will realize his ultimate potential. The fat SS tandem to Ronnie Belliard's fat 2b double play combo.

I think we call that 2009?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:56 PM   #2787
Ksyrup

I hope it's a bluff or reverse psychology, but Gammons says the Rays are convinced the Yankees will get Dunn.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #2788
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Joel Sherman just tweeted Yankees on the verge of getting Berkman.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:04 PM   #2789
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I think we call that 2009?

I acknowledge that, but I still think guzman needs to gain another 40 pounds to make it legit.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:59 PM   #2790
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

The White Sox arn't that dumb are they, the only way they would of traded for Jackson is to flip him for Dunn or someone else. gotta be
Old 07-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #2791
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

The trade deadline is always the funnest time of the year in baseball imo.

Also it looks like Berkman to the Yanks is pretty much a done deal.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #2792
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

dola If they get Berkman then Dunn is going elsewhere like Chicago I hope.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #2794
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Does anyone have a clue, or has anyone seen an article explaining, how the Rangers bankruptcy/auction will work? If MLB has to approve an owner, but the restructuring officer and judge determine which offer is acceptable, do they trump MLB? Or, could they choose the highest bidder (say, Mark Cuban) and then have MLB say no to him?

Who trumps whom in this situation? I assume someone, somewhere knows the answer to this. This could be Cuban's way to backdoor into MLB ownership, if the owners essentially have no choice but to accept him if he outbids everyone else by $100M or something. That would be fascinating.

MLB can reject the winning bid from the bankruptcy auction. As for Cuban, he has gotten the blessing from MLB to pursue a winning bid in the auction. He sought that first before even spending the time to decide if he will bid or not.

edit: here's the article I saw with that info: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...y.a88dce4.html
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 07-30-2010 at 05:10 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:08 PM   #2795
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Wow. that would be awful. Usually Kenny Williams knows what he's doing . If he screwed this up, I think he still deserves the benefit of the doubt. His track record is pretty decent.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #2796
stevew
Hall Of Famer

the Nats keeping Dunn for a few more years just seems like the right move. He's gotta be more valuable to the Nats than to anyone else.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #2797
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

It was easy for MLB to say no to Cuban with the Cubs. That team will make money no matter who runs it. The Rangers are a different story. I think MLB will be forced to seriously consider him this time around.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #2799
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Berkman to Yanks:

5:09pm: The deal is done and Berkman has approved it, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post. The Yankees have to wait 24 hours before the deal is officially complete because of Berkman's ten and five rights.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:43 PM   #2800
Ksyrup

Thanks for the info on Cuban. That would be awesome.

I bet Reinsdorf was so opposed to him the first time around because he knew, as owner of the Cubs, that he'd kick Reinsdorf ass all over that town.