Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #201
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Rockets ran out of steam. One hell of a fun season. Can't wait to see what Morey does in the offseason.

SI

Have you read the IAmAs by him on Reddit? Really good GM and I'll be interested in what he does with the room for another max guy.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #202
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Nah, I haven't. Something to look for in the next couple of days. I love having him as GM.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #203
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
Changing from Rose... If you are CP3, do you want to come back? Griffin and Jordan seem to only understand lobs. Do you stay in LA and change color jerseys? Or do you go to NYC like you proposed at Melo's wedding?

I think you're doing a disservice to Griffin there. He's actually still improving as a player and as a teammate. If he worked a little more on his defense and didn't act like a frickin' baby whenever he is fouled or gets called for a foul, it would be absolutely clear. He has worked on his mid-range shot and free throw shooting and passing and all of those phases of his game have improved.

Jordan, yeah, he seems like a good guy, but he does only understand lobs.

Whether CP3 gets to choose the new coach or not, I am praying that the Clippers do what they need to and let Vinny go. At best, he's good at running a mediocre team. This is not a mediocre team, so he's holding them back.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #204
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I am really beginning to hate the Clippers. These guys have been losing their cool all night.

They do that. They're still a fairly immateure team.

That said, the Grizzlies are a pretty physical team to play against. Gasol thinks he's allowed to do moving screen hip checks so long as his hands are up. Zeke doesn't move for nobody.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #205
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I keep thinking Kevin Love would be a great trade for the Clippers. Love is not happy up there and is from LA. Griffin gives Minnesota a legit player in return and someone that can sell tickets. Plus Rubio throwing alley-oops for the next few years would be fun.

Actually Love is from Oregon, although, yes, he has family in LA (his Beach Boys uncle) and he played at UCLA.

I would love to have Love on the team, and I would take him over Griffin.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #206
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Actually Love is from Oregon, although, yes, he has family in LA (his Beach Boys uncle) and he played at UCLA.

I would love to have Love on the team, and I would take him over Griffin.

Well, Love was born in Los Angeles and lived there for a year before he moved to Oregon
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #207
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Bulls have been pretty quiet about things. Probably realize that starting a war with the franchise player doesn't really result in anything good happening. My guess is it's a reluctant acceptance of the situation.

There is some tension between the two sides though. After Derrick's manager trashed the team and organization, the Bulls leaked the "he was cleared" info to a local reporter. This apparently upset the Rose camp. And then there is also the part where the Rose camp wanted the Bulls to come out and say he was done for the year a month or two ago and the Bulls won't do it. They don't feel there is a reason to shut someone down who is perfectly healthy.

This is what is so confusing to me. I think there is a war between the Bulls and the Rose camp regardless. Both sides have been petty in this situation. I am not sure what the Rose camp thought it was accomplishing by ripping the team. However, I am very surprised that the organization allowed to that one misstep (the only one that I am aware of) to create such a backlash against its favorite son. It is just so weird
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #208
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
This is what is so confusing to me. I think there is a war between the Bulls and the Rose camp regardless. Both sides have been petty in this situation. I am not sure what the Rose camp thought it was accomplishing by ripping the team. However, I am very surprised that the organization allowed to that one misstep (the only one that I am aware of) to create such a backlash against its favorite son. It is just so weird

I rip the ownership all the time, but I don't know what they did wrong in this situation. Is it better if they had lied to the fans and told everyone he was still hurt when he wasn't?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #209
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I rip the ownership all the time, but I don't know what they did wrong in this situation. Is it better if they had lied to the fans and told everyone he was still hurt when he wasn't?

I would say "leaking" that he was cleared to play for starters.

Overall, I think there could have been more of a collaborative plan to deal with this return. Correct me if I am wrong but on May 13, 2012 the day after his surgery, there was no expectation that he would be playing in any playoff games. I think it would have been in the best interests of all parties to set a date of say April 1st. If he was not the court by then, then the team announces that he won't be back until next season. If he did come back, well what a boost that would be. As it stands now, I don't what the expectations are if he comes back now.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 05-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #210
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but on May 13, 2012 the day after his surgery, there was no expectation that he would be playing in any playoff games.

I don't think that's true. Originally they were thinking he'd be back late December/early January, but there was some hope he could be back playing in 4-5 months, which would be around the start of the season (though he wouldn't be 100% yet.)

Derrick Rose Injury Update: Bulls Expect Star To Return In Late-December, According To Report - SBNation.com

I agree though that if he wasn't going to be ready by April, to get a little game time in before the playoffs, they should have shut him down. Unless the goal was to make him look bad.

Last edited by molson : 05-04-2013 at 04:03 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #211
miami_fan
Coordinator

BTW, let me know if the expectations for his recovery changed. I was under the belief was that this season would be played without Derrick Rose.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #212
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Here is something that bugs me...

"That's my first time hearing about (the criticism)," Rose said in his first public comments in nearly a month. "I barely turn on the TV. I'm with my son all day so that's about it."

So you aren't trying to get back... Or are we really suppose to believe that no one has told you that people are criticizing you for not playing in the series.

2013 NBA Playoffs: Derrick Rose of Chicago Bulls out for Game 7 vs. Brooklyn Nets - ESPN Chicago
Old 05-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #213
RainMaker
General Manager

I think the Bulls just assumed when he was healthy he would play, like all players.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #214
RainMaker
General Manager

Some more gems from the article.

"You hear stuff, people say stuff. I have a lot of people text me, asking if I'm alright because I guess they're paying attention to what's going on in the social media, but I'm far from it. I rarely watch games. If it's not our game I rarely watch it. I know every team, I've been watching their teams the whole year. There's some good teams out there. I saw enough basketball. It's just that I just got to get on the court and play."

"It gives me some comfort knowing that they see how hard I'm working in the gym, just putting my all into the game. And dedicating and sacrificing a lot of stuff to be a better player. And whenever I come back I know I'm going to be way, way better. But just having that time to relax and be patient and be fully healed, that's the big picture right now."

His "team" should not let him talk ever.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #215
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I don't think that's true. Originally they were thinking he'd be back late December/early January, but there was some hope he could be back playing in 4-5 months, which would be around the start of the season (though he wouldn't be 100% yet.)

Derrick Rose Injury Update: Bulls Expect Star To Return In Late-December, According To Report - SBNation.com

I agree though that if he wasn't going to be ready by April, to get a little game time in before the playoffs, they should have shut him down. Unless the goal was to make him look bad.

I stand corrected.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #216
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I can't believe the Bulls are getting 7.5 this game and +290 on the moneyline.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #217
Groundhog
Coordinator

Game 7 of the playoffs and the Brooklyn Nets still play like someone put them on a roster in a fantasy draft yesterday and they've never played together before.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #218
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I think the most interesting thing about the Rose situation is that - if they don't blow this big lead anyway - they're going to get just as far as reasonably expected without him as they would have with him.

The implications of this situation seem (to me anyway) as though they might be more long term than short term.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #219
hoopsguy
General Manager

Joe Johnson has come up really small in this game.

Nets have seemed way too comfortable settling for shots Bulls want them to take.

I was really surprised at efficiency of looks Bulls got in 4th quarter tonight, when running offense through Teague/Robinson/Belinelli.

Kudos to Noah for what he was able to do this series, working through injuries and putting up 24/14/6 while being the high energy anchor of the defense.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #220
hoopsguy
General Manager

Just realizing now how short Rachel Nichols is, standing next to Noah for the post-game interview.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #221
Groundhog
Coordinator

"Wanted it more" is one of the most over-used phrases in sports, but definitely applies here. Noah was sensational on both ends - hey Brook Lopez, I think he's going left fyi - and I was really impressed by Belinelli too.

Strange how, regardless of who is out injured, the Bulls just keep playing like the Bulls. It's like they can just slot anyone in there and the machine keeps a'running. Spurs are really the only other team I can think of that can do that.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #222
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
"Wanted it more" is one of the most over-used phrases in sports, but definitely applies here. Noah was sensational on both ends - hey Brook Lopez, I think he's going left fyi - and I was really impressed by Belinelli too.

Strange how, regardless of who is out injured, the Bulls just keep playing like the Bulls. It's like they can just slot anyone in there and the machine keeps a'running. Spurs are really the only other team I can think of that can do that.

I'd agree with this. Noah was just... wow. Just wow.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 05-04-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #223
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I think the most interesting thing about the Rose situation is that - if they don't blow this big lead anyway - they're going to get just as far as reasonably expected without him as they would have with him.

The implications of this situation seem (to me anyway) as though they might be more long term than short term.

While I'd agree with this, are that many players in the NBA who you could add to a team that would beat Miami? Miami is historically great - I honestly think you could give any East team (including Chicago) any current NBA player not named LeBron or Kevin Durant, and I bet they still couldn't beat Miami.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #224
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I can't believe the Bulls are getting 7.5 this game and +290 on the moneyline.

Made a killing
Old 05-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #225
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
While I'd agree with this, are that many players in the NBA who you could add to a team that would beat Miami? Miami is historically great - I honestly think you could give any East team (including Chicago) any current NBA player not named LeBron or Kevin Durant, and I bet they still couldn't beat Miami.

If you put Chris Paul on the Knicks, I'd give them a really good shot.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #226
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Noah was unreal.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #227
RainMaker
General Manager

Love this team.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #228
RainMaker
General Manager

Noah is playing on one foot too.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #229
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Joe Johnson has come up really small in this game.

Surprising no one in Atlanta.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #230
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post

If we extend this to the West and assume Westbrook is still injured, is there a team + player combo you could say would beat Miami? What would you add to the Spurs, for instance?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #231
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Way to suck, Joe Johnson. Wow. That was a terrible performance.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:53 PM   #232
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Only Lakers, San Antonio, and Chicago can boast more titles than the Pistons since '88. They also had two more appearances in the Finals. I'm guessing I'll see more than another title in my lifetime as well. The Pistons were in the playoffs in the 2009 season, and they got one of the best rookies in the previous draft so I'm not terribly sure what your point is.

Just banging on how shitty they have been lately. The pistons are the only NBA team I even remotely follow and I was highly disappointed when they didn't repeat in 2005. I grew up watching the bad boys in the late 80's/early 90's. Not a big fan of Dumars as GM, but with Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond there is a bright future...if Joe D doesn't fuck it up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #233
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If we extend this to the West and assume Westbrook is still injured, is there a team + player combo you could say would beat Miami? What would you add to the Spurs, for instance?

SI

Spurs and Bulls are the only two teams not swept by the Heat. Bulls would need Rose, have him flip the switch, and pray to God they survive whatever LeBron brings. They are one of the only teams who don't care about the Heat mystique. It's tougher to say what the Spurs need when they are so solid as is outside of just throwing more talent on the team. This is one of those years where the Spurs likely would have won a title if not for the Heat much like Jordan denying a number of title worthy teams during his years.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #234
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Spurs and Bulls are the only two teams not swept by the Heat. Bulls would need Rose, have him flip the switch, and pray to God they survive whatever LeBron brings. They are one of the only teams who don't care about the Heat mystique. It's tougher to say what the Spurs need when they are so solid as is outside of just throwing more talent on the team. This is one of those years where the Spurs likely would have won a title if not for the Heat much like Jordan denying a number of title worthy teams during his years.

Memphis would like to ask you to check their schedule. They split with the Heat this year.

Quote:

SI

Being a Grizz fan, everyone says we would need a shooter. Screw that, if I could add one player to Memphis it would be Paul George at SF. I'd try to out defense the Heat and George can score also. I could have 5 of the top 15 in defensive per starting and still have four starters who average over 14 a game.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #235
korme
Go Reds

I know it's moot to even throw ideas like this around, but say the Bulls upset Miami in Game 1 or 2, and in dogfights they win both games at home, then drop one on the road in Game 5... you've got a home game against the great Heat, up 3-2. Does any scenario drive Rose to come back more?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #236
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I don't think any NBA team or NBA level players cares about the Heat "mystique". That's a media and fan created manifestation. To NBA players, LeBron, Wade and Bosh are just guys like them, doing it incredibly well, but still just guys, not some mystical undefeatable figures.

No, when NBA players lose to other NBA players, it ain't about mystique, it's just flat about getting beat because they are better.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #237
miami_fan
Coordinator

God, those Knicks-Pacers series were fun to watch but there is no way there would have been any players on the court between all the techs and suspensions that would have been dished out in today's NBA.

Last edited by miami_fan : 05-05-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #238
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
I know it's moot to even throw ideas like this around, but say the Bulls upset Miami in Game 1 or 2, and in dogfights they win both games at home, then drop one on the road in Game 5... you've got a home game against the great Heat, up 3-2. Does any scenario drive Rose to come back more?

I honestly don't think he cares.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #239
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Brooklyn Nets fire coach P.J. Carlesimo day after playoff ouster - ESPN New York
Old 05-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #240
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Only because you can't fire players... and he wasn't really fired, they just decided not to offer him a contract.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #241
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Vinny Del Negro should be joining him in the unemployment line within the next week or so.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #242
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

So how long until Van Gundy to Brooklyn rumors start?
Old 05-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #243
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
So how long until Van Gundy to Brooklyn rumors start?

Which one?

Old 05-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #244
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Which one?

I would assume either but Jeff coached the Knicks when they were good, correct? The skinny one.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #245
hoopsguy
General Manager

Based on the tenor of the Rose discussion, I assume this will go over well with the FOFC crowd:

The new Derrick Rose statue making the rounds is cold blooded on Twitpic

Last edited by hoopsguy : 05-05-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #246
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I cant see the picture well
Old 05-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #247
korme
Go Reds

It's a superimposed statue of Derrick Rose in street clothes on the bench
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #248
hoopsguy
General Manager

Bulls up 1 with just over 4 to play. No Deng, no Heinrich, no Rose (naturally). I don't expect them to finish this one off, but it is really impressive how hard they compete.

Hawk Harrelson would have you believe they have a sky-high TWTW rating.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #249
Groundhog
Coordinator

Great game this one. Nate with a huge shot to give the Bulls the late lead.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #250
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Chicago is fucking amazing. I just have no words. I have developed a strong, non Warriors rooting interest in these playoffs. Up 4 with 45 seconds.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 05-06-2013 at 08:48 PM.