Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #201
cuervo72
Head Coach

So for Tebow to succeed, someone is going to have to take a gamble on basically running a college offense built specifically for him - in essence making him your franchise player. That's a lot to ask of a coach/GM who isn't making a last ditch effort to save his job. Because if that doesn't work, there will probably be some firings.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 11-01-2011 at 07:45 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #202
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
So for Tebow to succeed, someone is going to have to take a gamble on basically running a college offense built specifically for him - in essence making him your franchise player. That's a lot to ask of a coach/GM who isn't making a last ditch effort to save his job. Because if that doesn't work, there will probably be some firings.

A college offense won't work in the NFL. Tebow either needs to adjust to the NFL game or be an afterthought. That doesn't mean you can't pepper in some running plays and utilize his athleticism, but he will still need to be able to operate an NFL offense.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #203
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
A college offense won't work in the NFL. Tebow either needs to adjust to the NFL game or be an afterthought. That doesn't mean you can't pepper in some running plays and utilize his athleticism, but he will still need to be able to operate an NFL offense.

Hey, that's my belief too. But it seems that some think he's just SO GOOD that he can make an unworkable offense workable. If he's not given that opportunity then he was never given a chance...of course he'll never be given that opportunity! So he'll never succeed and it will be the NFL establishment's fault! Basically, this argument will never be put to rest.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #204
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Hey, that's my belief too. But it seems that some think he's just SO GOOD that he can make an unworkable offense workable. If he's not given that opportunity then he was never given a chance...of course he'll never be given that opportunity! So he'll never succeed and it will be the NFL establishment's fault! Basically, this argument will never be put to rest.
Who is saying that?
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #205
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Tebow to the CFL! Hamilton Tiger-Cats, baby!!!!
Old 11-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #206
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

when he came out every talking head said the same thing. he's gonna need an hc/oc that believes in him and will let him develop.

ffwd 2 years, exact opposite happens, and the same talking heads are shitting themselves. 'he's an abomination!!!' well, no durr.

a running team, decent line. play action roll outs- cut the field in half etc. etc.

basically what the 49ers have done with smith.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #207
RainMaker
General Manager

The worst thing to happen to him was being a 1st round pick. If he had been a 6th or 7th rounder and behind some a good QB, he'd be able to develop. Would have been a perfect pick for a team like Pittsburgh.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:40 PM   #208
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I still say the Broncos needed a middle LB & took one of the best available... the problem is they think he's a QB,
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:27 AM   #209
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Newton has an offensive line and an elite wide receiver too. They aren't in the same league, but Newton doesn't pull this off in Denver with that slop.

I am fairly certain that a better offensive line and/or elite wide receiver would not make Tim Tebow better. The guy works hard, is supposedly a great person, and is very competitive. But anyone who has seen him take NFL snaps can clearly see that he is in way over his head. As others here have already stated, perhaps he should be used as an H-back or something, because a starting NFL QB he is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #210
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Carolina's "Elite" wide receiver isn't all that elite anymore. He's still pretty good, but not "elite". The common denominator here is that Denver has the same head coach who turned Steve Smith and the rest of this offense into "well below average".
Old 11-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #211
Radii
Head Coach

I don't much care about Tebow either way but Steve Smith was in a major decline the last two years in Carolina, this offseason it was assumed the Panthers would trade him and many fans thought it was the right time to do so. Didn't Denver have the leading WR in the NFL last season and give him away for a 5th round pick this year?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #212
gkb
High School Varsity

God I wish Tebow was on a different team. Thanks Josh...bastard.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #213
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

he has a 4-1 td to int ratio..That means he's doing something right somewhere
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #214
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
he has a 4-1 td to int ratio..That means he's doing something right somewhere

2 of those 4 td's were against the Miami Dolphins. He also has 2 fumbles and a whopping 46.1% completion percentage.

Quote:
Old 11-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #215
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I don't much care about Tebow either way but Steve Smith was in a major decline the last two years in Carolina, this offseason it was assumed the Panthers would trade him and many fans thought it was the right time to do so. Didn't Denver have the leading WR in the NFL last season and give him away for a 5th round pick this year?

They figured he'd be a locker room cancer because he's a free agent at the end of the year and wanted to rack up some stats this year that weren't going to come with Tebow throwing the ball behind him all game long.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #216
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

If the Pittsburgh Power AFL team signs Tim Tebow within the next two years, I'm going to kill myself. I just wanted to get that out there right now.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #217
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
If the Pittsburgh Power AFL team signs Tim Tebow within the next two years, I'm going to kill myself. I just wanted to get that out there right now.

You would be missed.

Quote:
Old 11-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #218
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
because a starting NFL QB in a traditional offense he is not.

Fixed that for you, or at least provided a version that I don't think too many people would disagree with.

I believe at least a quarter of the teams in the NFL, including the one he's on, would be well-served by building an offense (including personnel) around him however.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #219
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I think the Broncos should have him play ironman football. I know the Broncos haven't made a clean tackle since 2001, so he might help them on defense.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #220
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Fixed that for you, or at least provided a version that I don't think too many people would disagree with.

I believe at least a quarter of the teams in the NFL, including the one he's on, would be well-served by building an offense (including personnel) around him however.

I stand by my original comment. This guy is not a starting NFL QB, and as mentioned by other people here, the style of offense he is best suited for is not feasible at the NFL level. I think it is time for some people to take off their Tebow goggles and see what is clearly not there....

Quote:
Old 11-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #221
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
2 of those 4 td's were against the Miami Dolphins. He also has 2 fumbles and a whopping 46.1% completion percentage.

He reminds me of those wonderful qb's from the 40-70's, fumbles, low completion percentages etc....

Miamis D is not that horrible. If it was against the Pats i'd be more inclined to agree that his td's were a fluke.

Personally I'm not a fan of his style or the team but want to see what he can do the rest of the year

I think he might be the the second coming of Bobby Douglass

Joe Namath had something like 50% completion rating. Chad Pennington had over 65% Who would you rather have leading your team? Comp % is a bit overrated...

Last edited by Apathetic Lurker : 11-02-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #222
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Just by comparison, take a look at some other QB's in the NFL that are in their 1st or 2nd year in the league (these are just basic stats):

Name (Team)-round/pick/year) comp % with TD's and Int's (2011 stats)

Andy Dalton (Cincinnati-2/35/2011) 62.4% with 9 TD's and 7 Int's
Cam Newton (Carolina-1/1/2011) 60.6% with 11 TD's and 9 Int's
Colt McCoy (Cleveland-3/85/2010) 57.0% with 9 TD's and 5 Int's
Sam Bradford (St. Louis-1/1/2010) 53.15 with 3 TD's and 2 Int's
Christian Ponder (Minnesota-1/12/2011) 51.9% with 3 TD's and 2 Int's
Tim Tebow (Denver-1/25/2010) 46.1% with 4 TD's and 1 Int
Blaine Gabbert (Jacksonville-1/10/2011) 45.7% with with 5 TD's and 4 Int's

Quote:
Old 11-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #223
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Hes right there with Bradford, Ponder and Gabbert... Realistically, I won't know how we can grade them for about 5 years
Old 11-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #224
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
Miamis D is not that horrible. If it was against the Pats i'd be more inclined to agree that his td's were a fluke.

Miami's pass defense is arguably the worst in the NFL. Football Outsiders has them 31st against the pass, opponents have a QB rating of 103.1 against them, they're allowing 8.1 yards per attempt, and they've allowed 14 tds with just 2 Ints this season.

They're terrible.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #225
gkb
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Miami's pass defense is arguably the worst in the NFL. Football Outsiders has them 31st against the pass, opponents have a QB rating of 103.1 against them, they're allowing 8.1 yards per attempt, and they've allowed 14 tds with just 2 Ints this season.

They're terrible.

How dare you use actual statistics to make your argument! You take that back mister!

If there's one thing that's become obvious in Denver, it's that you do NOT bring facts to the table with regards to Tebow.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #226
DougW
High School Varsity

Lions disrespected Tebows faith.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #227
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

They're terrible.

I was going overall yardage...Miamis is 23rd....NE is last..
Old 11-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #228
revrew
Team Chaplain

Honest evaluation by a Bronco fan:

1. Tebow's pocket problems are partly related to the offensive scheme employed by the Broncos. Watching the DET game, too often receivers were still running double-cut routes down the field when the Lions were already in the backfield. At other times, there was only 1 or 2 WRs in the pattern at all. Yes, Tebow was holding the ball too long, but who was he supposed to throw to? The coaching staff should be flogged for not running more quick routes and screens. (Although Tebow's accuracy problems were revealed when he did try quick slants, but still: No excuse for your QB to be under that much pressure all game without making adjustments. Better incompletes than sacks). And play-action passes in the 4th quarter? Would anyone in the stadium, much less on the field, bite on a play-action? Just less time for Tebow to look downfield. The play-action passes were irrefutable proof the coaching staff was inflexible in their approach to the game, and likely the QB himself.

2. Tebow's footwork is atrocious. He never sets and throws from the same spot, but is jump-tossing, skipping up to throw, not driving his front foot, etc. No wonder he's not accurate and has poor timing on the short-mid routes. We'll never know if he's accurate enough to be an NFL quarterback until someone fixes that footwork. And Tebow's arm is plenty strong, but again with that footwork, the ball will never get the distance it needs on the long passes either. It's fundamental stuff.

Now, John Gruden in a pre-draft workout/interview with Tebow (watch it if you can find it), did more to fix Tebow's footwork in 5 minutes than John Fox's staff has done all year. In the interview, he's sprinting back, setting his feet, firing. Would love to see that even once in a Bronco uniform. I'd have to watch tape to see if McD helped correct Tebow's footwork (and thus explaining his better success rate last season), but it's clear Tebow has regressed and the current staff hasn't made the same impression Gruden did.

Finally, speculation:
The game plan is idiotic
The kid's #1 need the staff is failing to address
The kid's #1 receiver gets traded away, for a 5th rounder

I don't know if Tebow can be an NFL QB or not, but it's clear the Broncos management ISN'T doing what they can to make him one. Could this be on purpose?
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #229
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Quote:
Could this be on purpose?

Uh yeah...seems pretty clear. No NFL player will intentionally try to lose but that Front Office has really put the players in an impossible situation. Well done, I say.

Last edited by Bigsmooth : 11-02-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #230
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hoge was on the DC Sports Reporters today talking about Tebow. Just a *touch* critical of his skills.

ESPN 980 Audio Vault - Play Now
Old 11-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #231
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
Honest evaluation by a Bronco fan:

1. Tebow's pocket problems are partly related to the offensive scheme employed by the Broncos. Watching the DET game, too often receivers were still running double-cut routes down the field when the Lions were already in the backfield. At other times, there was only 1 or 2 WRs in the pattern at all. Yes, Tebow was holding the ball too long, but who was he supposed to throw to? The coaching staff should be flogged for not running more quick routes and screens. (Although Tebow's accuracy problems were revealed when he did try quick slants, but still: No excuse for your QB to be under that much pressure all game without making adjustments. Better incompletes than sacks). And play-action passes in the 4th quarter? Would anyone in the stadium, much less on the field, bite on a play-action? Just less time for Tebow to look downfield. The play-action passes were irrefutable proof the coaching staff was inflexible in their approach to the game, and likely the QB himself.

2. Tebow's footwork is atrocious. He never sets and throws from the same spot, but is jump-tossing, skipping up to throw, not driving his front foot, etc. No wonder he's not accurate and has poor timing on the short-mid routes. We'll never know if he's accurate enough to be an NFL quarterback until someone fixes that footwork. And Tebow's arm is plenty strong, but again with that footwork, the ball will never get the distance it needs on the long passes either. It's fundamental stuff.

Now, John Gruden in a pre-draft workout/interview with Tebow (watch it if you can find it), did more to fix Tebow's footwork in 5 minutes than John Fox's staff has done all year. In the interview, he's sprinting back, setting his feet, firing. Would love to see that even once in a Bronco uniform. I'd have to watch tape to see if McD helped correct Tebow's footwork (and thus explaining his better success rate last season), but it's clear Tebow has regressed and the current staff hasn't made the same impression Gruden did.

Finally, speculation:
The game plan is idiotic
The kid's #1 need the staff is failing to address
The kid's #1 receiver gets traded away, for a 5th rounder

I don't know if Tebow can be an NFL QB or not, but it's clear the Broncos management ISN'T doing what they can to make him one. Could this be on purpose?

Fox is very much a "his guys" coach. One of the things that ultimately clinched his falling out and eventual exit from Charlotte was that he basically had Jimmy Clausen thrust upon him by the front office and pretty much fought them every step of the way on whether or not to let him play last year.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #232
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
some great stuff in Twitter if you check out #OccupyTebow
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #233
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm still scratching my head why John Fix was considered such a good head coach that he remained unemployed for like a week. Sort of Mangini redux.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #234
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'm still scratching my head why John Fix was considered such a good head coach that he remained unemployed for like a week. Sort of Mangini redux.

I think probably due to never having a legitimate franchise QB in Carolina and still getting to a Superbowl. But its one of those chicken/egg propositions.

If you mold a QB into performing well, OR the QB is a great talent, people think the QB is great & you are fortunate to have him.

If you don't mold the QB well, OR the QB just doesn't have it, then the QB sucks & you "did what you could".

I guess the Broncos saw the latter in Carolina. Not that I would disagree much but of course there are coordinators & the like that typically have the largest impact from a strategy standpoint.

Last edited by SteveMax58 : 11-04-2011 at 08:22 AM.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #235
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

I hear John Fox sucks as well.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #236
Rizon
Pro Starter

Madden trashed Tebow a bit yesterday, too. Said he'd never be another Brett Favre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #237
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Madden trashed Tebow a bit yesterday, too. Said he'd never be another Brett Favre.

LOL
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #238
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Tebowing

Think Planking

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-04-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #239
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post

lmao at the horse Tebowing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #240
Raiders Army
Coordinator

That website is awesome.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #241
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post

Think Planking

Never realized this was a verb....

Quote:
Old 11-06-2011, 07:43 AM   #242
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

TaTebowing - Ugliest Tattoos - Funny Tattoos

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #243
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

Tebows' joining Pumpy's bowling league ......
Old 11-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #244
Grover
Pro Starter

http://video.adultswim.com/carl/carl...d-raiders.html

"You don't see anyone Whitehursting or Gabberting after a touchdown"

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:15 AM   #245
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

How dare that rascally Tebow beat a "real" QB led team !
Old 11-07-2011, 07:19 AM   #246
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I didn't get to see any of the game since we had the Bengals game locally, but it sounds like they made the effort to put him in a number of college offense situations, and thanks to a poor run D, it paid off. He still can't survive passing under 50%, though, because you aren't going to run for 300 yards every week. Or even 150, for that matter. But I'm glad they at least made some effort to put him in situations he was comfortable with and could succeed at. And that they beat the Raiders.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-07-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #247
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

The topsy turvy world of Tim Tebow.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #248
cuervo72
Head Coach

Admittedly, that seemed like a pretty good attempt at having him run something he's well-suited for. Now, if they can do that against a team with a real coaching staff (or any semblance of organization) will be interesting. As has been pointed out though, there may not be any of those in the AFC West.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #249
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Wouldn't the Broncos winning the AFC west be epic?

Quote:
Old 11-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #250
JediKooter
Coordinator

I watched most of the game yesterday and I have to say he needs a lot of work, but, he threw no picks (You listening Philip Rivers?) and ran through the swiss cheese Raiders run defense with no problems. He even took some good hits too. After finally getting to watch him play for more than just a couple of series, he does have an extremely slow delivery. I didn't realize how slow it was until I saw Palmer throw the ball. But hey, the kid won and that's all that matters.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote