Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-03-2010, 03:03 AM   #201
Icy
Pro Starter

Update on the PSP version after a day with it:

It's just a roster update over 09 with some updated graphics and a bit better framerate, but with no sportsconnect, that means no online gaming and no roster downloads in game (i guess there still will be roster updates that you can download from a website or something, as there is the option to load downloaded rosters in the game)

So the only reason to buy it is if you buy the download version from the PSN store as it runs from your MS stick and load times are like 20 seconds instead of a full minute. Perfect for quick RTTS careers compared with past year UMD version, for the rest, is a roster update with some missing features compared with past year, huge disappointment as even being still the best sports game ever created in PSP, i expected some of the new PS3 features to come to the PSP as they do every year but this one.

Last edited by Icy : 03-03-2010 at 03:04 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:34 AM   #202
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
1. It'll say there is an update when you load up the game.

2. You sign on to the online area and get the updated rosters.

3. You DL them to your CPU then put then on a USB and transfer it to your PS3.

Is there a specific online area to "sign in to"? I've never done this before.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:51 AM   #203
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

By the way, this is the same thread with developer feedback, but they've added a couple more updates. Thought I'd post the link rather than the text, so everyone could get the most up to date information. It appears that they're looking to implement some fixes as soon as March 8th.........

MLB '10: The Show - Franchise Issues Update - Operation Sports Forums

This thread illustrates the reason I wasn't quick to jump on this developer group. I know some in this thread are new to the game, but this team has always been excellent at interacting with the community and addressing the concerns. Even if the release day has a few hiccups, I've always been very happy with the support of the developers.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-03-2010 at 06:53 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #204
markprior22
High School Varsity

I'm new to the PS3 and have a question concerning patching. Since MLB is a Sony product and the PS3 is Sony, do patches for MLB 10 have to go through the typical 2-3 week "approval" process I am used to seeing with other games such as Madden, etc?
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:55 AM   #205
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post
I'm new to the PS3 and have a question concerning patching. Since MLB is a Sony product and the PS3 is Sony, do patches for MLB 10 have to go through the typical 2-3 week "approval" process I am used to seeing with other games such as Madden, etc?

They have to go through some level of approval, but in the past, it seems like they've been able to do it more quickly with the first party games.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #206
TroyF
Coordinator

Trade Waivers:
Users can claim anyone off of trade waivers - CPU teams will never pull them back.
* UPDATE - fixed this one - a simple fix that will prevent user teams from simply claiming everyone that was passed through trade waivers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little confused on this one. A fix that will prevent user teams from claiming everyone. Does that mean users will still be able to claim someone? Isn't the thing that needs to be done is to:

a) prevent teams from putting every single star through the waivers process in the first place.

or

b) have them pull back the waiver claim when it is made and offer a trade for the person claimed?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Multi Trade players:
Not even sure what the details are on this one, but it looks like sometimes a player is traded and then re-traded or waived. Currently investigating.
* UPDATE - I have a fix for the trades. I'll not allow a player to be placed on the trading block by the CPU if he has been acquired by a trade recently.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What about a fix for the brain dead trades to begin with? I simmed the opening season 5 times last night. The Red Sox traded Beckett every single time for prospects. The Twins dealt Maur to the Cubs for Alfanso Soriano. I don't care if the Cubs and Twins keep Maur and Soriano, the Twins wouldn't agree to that trade in a million years in any universe.

Love the list of fixes, I'm just curious how they are going to turn out.

I love the meatball thing too. . . except when my RTTS player gets up with the bases loaded twice, gets two meatballs, times them perfectly and still hits into two double plays. Ugh. (and no, I'm not complaining about the game, that's baseball. Two balls hit right on the screws at someone. The definition of a slump)
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #207
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Patch 1.06 has been released.

Quote:
1.06 Patch Notes:

Minnesota Day and Night, Backstop changed to Limestone
Fixed bug where trades wont be accepted in Spring Training
Fixed HDD game data space and messages
RTTS Presentation settings are saved after rebooting
Fixed RTTS issue when on game stats screen after skipping training and then playing a game
Fixed issue in Franchise Mode and controlling 30 teams and then teams release a lot of players
Fixed issue with Movie Maker when selecting 10 replays and 11 are present
Fixed Ball Deflection sound off of players
Fixed issue with pitcher batter status window
Fixed Issue with injuries during online games
Fixed fielding issue with catcher overthrowing to first base on a dropped third strike
Fixed fielding issue with the ball in the dirt right at the feet if user catcher
Fixed an issue when playing a tiebreaker game
Online addition of game history option in user list options. Can be found in leaderboards, League Lobby, Buddy List, and Schedule Screens
Old 03-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #208
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Dola

Developer also announced that player potential fix will be in next roster update.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #209
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Dola

Developer also announced that player potential fix will be in next roster update.

Still don't know how that got passed beta. I have the same question for 90% of sports games - who the are the testers for these games?!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #210
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Patch 1.06 has been released.

It's been a busy day at work, so I haven't had time to go over to OS and check out all the fodder on this...

1. Is the patch literally ready for download through PSN? If so, that's amazing speed.

2. Does this fix all the franchise issues (outside of the roster update fix) that they claimed would be fixed?
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #211
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
It's been a busy day at work, so I haven't had time to go over to OS and check out all the fodder on this...

1. Is the patch literally ready for download through PSN? If so, that's amazing speed.

2. Does this fix all the franchise issues (outside of the roster update fix) that they claimed would be fixed?

The patch they released this morning (which I was very surprised and happy to see when I switched on my PS3) doesn't fix any of the issues covered on the OS forums. It's other little things which they probably picked up on before release, and just had the actual timing/release of the patch make it out on the official street date.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #212
TroyF
Coordinator

Some quick gameplay things:

Good Things:

1) It still plays an amazing game of baseball. It's amazing how easy it is to jump in and go. I love the new field with the Twins. I hope after they patch things up I can be their LF and hit behind Joe in the lineup.

2) I love the new training modes for fielding. It almost makes me want to change my position for the first time ever. May be a SS instead of a LF and actually play some defense this year.

3) Terrific presentation.

Bad Things:

1) The scoring system in RTTS is messed up again. Example: Runners on 1st and second, goal to drive in run, I hit a chopper to SS, who gets the force at second and I beat out the throw. I get a successful result and 15 points.

2) Some of the fielding grades in the training seem to be off for OF. Example: Two times during my LF training it put a runner on second and ripped a shot down the line. Both times I cut it off. There was zero chance of throwing the runner out. The first time I threw the ball to the cut off man, the second time I threw it to second base. It penalized me on both throws saying I didn't make the right decision. If the right decision is to overthrow the cut off man with no hope of throwing the runner out and letting the guy go to second, I really need to relearn baseball.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #213
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I think the issue with trades has to do with teams dealing guys in the last years of their contracts, at least judging by the Beckett/Mauer scenarios.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #214
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
The patch they released this morning (which I was very surprised and happy to see when I switched on my PS3) doesn't fix any of the issues covered on the OS forums. It's other little things which they probably picked up on before release, and just had the actual timing/release of the patch make it out on the official street date.

Thanks for the update, you're probably right in that they wanted this patch out for the street date, but it didn't get out due to timing.

Is there any speculation on how long it will take to get this franchise stuff fixed? I'm guessing that based on the quality control testing and getting it through Sony, it will probably be upwards of a month.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #215
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Supposedly they already have the fix for the Franny stuff, but they just have to submit the patch. I'm guessing they're going to hold off until the end of the week in case any other bugs come up, then submit it after that. MBBF said it can take a week or two normally for quality control, but is sometimes quicker for first party titles.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #216
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Bad Things:

1) The scoring system in RTTS is messed up again. Example: Runners on 1st and second, goal to drive in run, I hit a chopper to SS, who gets the force at second and I beat out the throw. I get a successful result and 15 points.

2) Some of the fielding grades in the training seem to be off for OF. Example: Two times during my LF training it put a runner on second and ripped a shot down the line. Both times I cut it off. There was zero chance of throwing the runner out. The first time I threw the ball to the cut off man, the second time I threw it to second base. It penalized me on both throws saying I didn't make the right decision. If the right decision is to overthrow the cut off man with no hope of throwing the runner out and letting the guy go to second, I really need to relearn baseball.
Ugh. I love RTTS but there were a bunch of little things like that in last year's game that pissed me off. I always hated getting docked points on a hit & run as a hitter when the computer would throw a pitchout. Like WTF am I supposed to do?

Any word on how RTTS is otherwise? My other gripe with it last year was that it seemed too goal oriented. I had a 23 year old All-Star CF who got sent to AAA in the 2nd half of the season because I didn't finish some goals. The backup CF sucked statistically. I understand the goals having some role as a younger player, but ultimately performance should be the main driving force.

I also didn't like how they'd give you jobs just for doing your goals even if the guy ahead of you was much better. You could replace Pujols at first just by finishing your goals every period. I think it should be more realistic where if a star is ahead of you, you can demand a trade or just play through it like a real player would. Any word on that too?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #217
TroyF
Coordinator

I'm not nearly into it enough to comment on how the goals work to get you passed a star, but it has been that way in every year of the series. The goals are still there. I always try to get that 4 out of 6 or 3 out of 5 to keep me out of trouble. (sorry coach, I'm a power hitting LF, I am NOT going to waste my valuable developmental points on bunting)
Old 03-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #218
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The 1.06 patch is a fairly hefty 343 MB (my PS3 test says I usually get 2.7 MB/second download) but I guess high traffic for this game has it crawling.. estimated to be 85 minutes (and that number is going up) until it is done downloading.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-03-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #219
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Ugh. I love RTTS but there were a bunch of little things like that in last year's game that pissed me off. I always hated getting docked points on a hit & run as a hitter when the computer would throw a pitchout. Like WTF am I supposed to do?

Any word on how RTTS is otherwise? My other gripe with it last year was that it seemed too goal oriented. I had a 23 year old All-Star CF who got sent to AAA in the 2nd half of the season because I didn't finish some goals. The backup CF sucked statistically. I understand the goals having some role as a younger player, but ultimately performance should be the main driving force.

I also didn't like how they'd give you jobs just for doing your goals even if the guy ahead of you was much better. You could replace Pujols at first just by finishing your goals every period. I think it should be more realistic where if a star is ahead of you, you can demand a trade or just play through it like a real player would. Any word on that too?

Can't be as bad as NHL 10 where as a rookie goallie I was 4-0 with a GAA of 0.75 and save percentage of around 95% and got called into the GM's office after my "trial" period to be told that they didn't think I was ready yet so I was being sent to the AHL.
EagleFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #220
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Is there a specific online area to "sign in to"? I've never done this before.

i had to create my self in the PSN and then go to there and go to Account Management to redeem the code
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #221
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

RTTS is definitely built up this year as far as gaining points to improve your player. I can't comment on how you're promoted based on stats/goals, but I do know last year I had an incident where I was told that I couldn't be promoted/a starter because the person in my position was playing at a high level.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through my first season in AA as a SP with the White Sox. I was placed in the Starting Rotation just before the All-Star break as the #5 starter. I'm doing ok at best. My ERA is somewhere around 3.25 and my record is 6-5. I just pitched my first shutout which I was quite proud of, as last year it took me 4 or 5 years before I was able to do that.

I also can't possibly tell you how nice it is to be able to watch the completion of your games. Now I can actually watch my bullpen fall apart and blow a win for me.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 03-03-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #222
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

My god, I love this game.

This is the first sports game where I don't need to adjust a ton of sliders. I've slightly changed a few and am seeing absolutely fantastic results.

I'll post if people are interested, but they are very slight.

Here's some results from my two games so far today.

Rays @ Orioles:

Rays: 2 Runs, 5 Hits
Orioles: 5 Runs, 10 Hits

I was the Rays. I walked six batters, only got walked three times. No homers for either team. Millwood was great for the O's, striking out eight in 7IP.

Had 2nd and 3rd in the 9th. 2 Outs, 3-2 count for Bartlett. Drew the walk to load the bases.

I have Burrell on the bench and bring him in to pinch hit. Get into another full count, but this time I strike out to end the game.

Next game deserves it's own post.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #223
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I agree about watching the rest of your game in quick mode. I enjoyed watching the rest of my team play after I was pulled from middle relief, they scored a run in the 9th and our closer came in to finish it off and my first game ended up with my guy getting the win. Last year it would have just fast simmed to the box score and it wouldn't have meant nearly as much!
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #224
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Boston @ Yankees

Boston: 9 Runs, 13 Hits
Yankees: 11 Runs, 13 Hits

This game was played with the same sliders, but could not be more different. It was wild.

First of all, we had 15MPH wind blowing out to center. Boston hit four home runs, I hit three.

By the 5th inning I was up 6-1. But Boston would have none of it, hitting a 2-run homer and then stringing together a few walks and a double, bringing it to 6-5.

The score stayed the same until the 7th. Sabathia still on the mound. Think he had five or six strikeouts at this point but was definitely a little wild. I forget how two men got on, but the bases were loaded on a walk....now this is the best part...

With a 3-2 count, a threw a fastball low and away. I yelled and cheered because I thought I struck him out....I then opened my eyes and saw him trotting to first!

So, with CC's lost control and waning stamina, I brought in a reliever to pitch to Youk.

Remember, 15 MPH winds blowing to center. Don't remember the count, but I was trying to throw low, but also could NOT walk him or the game would be tied with Vic Martinez on deck. Didn't want that to happen, so I'm being very cautious.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I got two strikes on him, so it's probably 1-2 or 2-2. I need the strikeout. I give it all I have.

BOOM. The ball did NOT stay low. Hard fastball right down the fuckin' middle.

The ball is flying...but Swisher jogs to the track, waits, and a split second before the wind pushes it out, catches it to end the inning. So, so crazy.

That's not all though. In the 8th, I hit a three-run bomb with Cano, making it 9-5.

I sit down my two set-up men and start warming up Chan Ho Park for the 8th. Should be fairly easy, right?

Well, the guy who was in to face Youk decided to give up a hit and a walk in the 8th.

So in comes Chan Ho Park. First pitch. SEE YA! Three-run jack from Cameron to make it a one run game again! Of course, they then tie it up with two doubles.

I forgot how, but I scored two in the bottom of the 8th to make it 11-9.

Rivera comes in to get the save, but it wasn't exactly easy. Gave up two singles, making it first and third. But I struck out Lowell on a low and away cutter to end the game.

Quite a wild ride!
Old 03-04-2010, 12:54 AM   #225
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

After always playing RTTS I tried an exhibition game. Phillies/Yankees in the Polo grounds. Had a fun 9-6 loss, actually got frustrating as we gave up 7 runs in the 5th when nothing went right, including Halladay being ejected (which sucked because I screwed up my timing on a curve ball which is why he hit the batter, though Sabathia hit 3 Phillies so I guess it was viewed as retaliation). Had a chance int he 9th against Rivera but chased a high fas ball with 2 strikes with Rollins.

Got a couple of homeruns to account for my runs. Rollins hit a 2 run shot to the the 2nd level in left and Howard hit a monster grand slam to right (486 feet) as that accounted for my runs.

Unfortunately I gave up 4 homeruns. 1 was a down the line Polo Grounds short field homerun (just fair and just over the wall) and 1 was an inside the park homerun that rolled to the fence in center.

This game is going to make me lose a lot of sleep...
Old 03-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #226
TroyF
Coordinator

Having a blast as always. Just screwing around with rtts until the first roster update. Started off my career 1-22. (the worst part of the slump came in a game with my team losing by one in the ninth, bases loaded, two outs, I drill a fastball and the third baseman makes a diving catch on the line. Just killed me.

The next game I broke out. 2HR, a doulbe, 5 RBI. One of those games where you are just feeling it.

The only real nitpick I have right now is the defensive practice mode scoring. I'm learning what the game wants me to do, but it doesn't make a lot of sense. Let's say the situation is a runner on first. Batter hits a flyball to LF, I catch it and see the guy running back to first. I throw it to the cut off man. BZZZZZZ. Incorrect. I should throw it to second base. Ummm. . . what?

Everything else looks good. Especially love the vibration in pressure situations. Fells like I'm reading an Edgar Allen Poe novel and playing a game at the same time.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #227
TroyF
Coordinator

I just simmed through a year of my player. Here are some of the things that happened

I started as a LF with the Twins.

In mid April the Twins acquired Barry Zito and a prospect for Jim Thome

I was traded to the Rays in May. I was sent with another prospect for Carlos Pena and Wade Davis.

I didn't enjoy my stay long. i was traded in June to the Braves. Matt Gamel and a prospect went with me, Derek Lowe went to the Rays.

I stayed with the Braves through the deadline. The Braves traded Billy Wagner to the Red Sox for three prospects. They send Hudson and Saito to the Yankees for two prospects in early July.

Some other trades:

After the trade deadline: Padres send Heath Bell and Adrian Gonzalez to the Mets for three prospects.

Marlins acquired Cliff Lee from the Orioles for two prospects. (I'm going backwards, no idea how the Orioles got Lee)

Phillies send JA Haap to the Astros for Brett Myers

That's as far as the log goes back.

Looking through the rosters:

Yankees now have Sabathia, Vazquez, Burnett, Hudson, Pettite as their starting rotation.

Lee must have been sent to the O's for prospects only. I can't see any current big leaguers the M's got back in the trade.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:59 PM   #228
TroyF
Coordinator

The Giants, thrilled to be rid of Zito, beat the Yankees in the WS.

The Braves offered me a deal to play in AA again. (I passed on all of my goals)

Division winners - Yankees, Twins, Angels, Phillies, Reds, Giants --- Red Sox, Marlins wild cards.

Some offseason stuff:

Red Sox signed AJ Pyriniski and Benji Molina. They also added Jimmy Rollins
Yankees signed Victor Martinez
Tigers sign Andy Pettite to 4 year, 20 million dollar deal
Angels sign Derek Lee
Mariners ink Lance Berkman
Pirates looking for that old Red Sox feel ink both Pedro Martinez and Nomar Garcioparra
Tim Lincecom lost his arbitration case and will make 10 million in 2011.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:05 PM   #229
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Anyone see any word on whether the closer role is fixed in RTTS?
Old 03-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #230
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Phillies send JA Haap to the Astros for Brett Myers

That one amused me.

Picturing the Astros GM calling Brett into his office to tell him that he was traded to the Phillies (after the fit he threw about the Phillies for not resigning him)...

Old 03-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #231
saldana
Pro Starter

yeah, this is awesome.

couple things i have noted...

i started myself as a catcher in RTTS....if you have the catcher calls the game turned on, it is gonna be a long season.

after that i started myself as a 3B and after my first PH appearance, found myself subbed in at catcher! i am listed as a Utility player, and so far have played 3b, rf and catcher at various points.

even though i have the global difficulty set to rookie hitting, every RTTS game has it reset to veteran.....i strike out ALOT (about 1 every 3 AB)

the only bug i have found that i havent seen anyone mention is that when the CPU catcher drops the third strike, you dont always run to first...i have had it happen a couple times that my guy just walks away, the catcher never throws down or tags me, and the announcers call it as a dropped 3rd strike.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #232
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
That one amused me.

Picturing the Astros GM calling Brett into his office to tell him that he was traded to the Phillies (after the fit he threw about the Phillies for not resigning him)...

Why I included it. I was thinking the same thing. Along with JA's visit with the gm. "So you refused to include me in deals for Lee or Holliday, but you trade me for Brett? Are you F'n serious?"
Old 03-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #233
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Anyone see any word on whether the closer role is fixed in RTTS?
Reading over at OS, it looks like this wasn't fixed.

I am a diehard fan of The Show, but I'm really starting to wonder if it's worth $60 for this version. There are a few small features added, but it really doesn't appear to be fine-tuned at all. I just don't see that big of a jump from last year to this.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #234
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Regarding the closer role, I think a lot of it has to do with how good the team you're on is. They added 2 new ways to increase your ratings through training (for pitchers). I had a closer career going in 09 that was very successful, but I was on a team that played a lot of close games. I had 40 saves in my first year in AA and was promoted to AAA before the year was out. If you're on a team that doesn't win a lot of games, or play a lot of close games...here's a tip for ya...ask for a trade!
Old 03-04-2010, 04:40 PM   #235
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Regarding crazy trades:

I'm almost positive this has to do with the Potential glitch. Take a look at some rosters and you'll see guys like Jose Reyes with an F potential.

Teams are looking at that in their trade logic. On Monday, new roster comes out with the potentials fixed. Should make things much better.

In other news, don't press the "select" button at Tropicana Field. In the 6th or 7th inning, the game will freeze. This was an issue at every stadium before but the patch fixed it...but the Trop still is bugged.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #236
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Dola

This game is absolutely worth the upgrade on the field. The gameplay is almost perfect...it's by far the best sports game, gameplay-wise, I have ever played.

But the mess in franchise mode is killing me. Not sure if you all heard, but the CPU will trade your players, even if you have trading set to Manual.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #237
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Regarding the closer role, I think a lot of it has to do with how good the team you're on is. They added 2 new ways to increase your ratings through training (for pitchers). I had a closer career going in 09 that was very successful, but I was on a team that played a lot of close games. I had 40 saves in my first year in AA and was promoted to AAA before the year was out. If you're on a team that doesn't win a lot of games, or play a lot of close games...here's a tip for ya...ask for a trade!
It's not just being on a good team though. If your team goes on a stretch of winning games by a lot you don't get save opportunities. Training goals is just a flawed system for determining where your player ends up.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #238
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
In other news, don't press the "select" button at Tropicana Field. In the 6th or 7th inning, the game will freeze.

Whoa...thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #239
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Regarding crazy trades:

I'm almost positive this has to do with the Potential glitch. Take a look at some rosters and you'll see guys like Jose Reyes with an F potential.

Teams are looking at that in their trade logic. On Monday, new roster comes out with the potentials fixed. Should make things much better.

In other news, don't press the "select" button at Tropicana Field. In the 6th or 7th inning, the game will freeze. This was an issue at every stadium before but the patch fixed it...but the Trop still is bugged.

Maybe that's some of it, but not all. Trading is simply borked right now. I understand and respect some trades are going to happen in a game that defy logic. Trades happen in real life that defy logic too.

But Barry Zito for Jim Thome? If there were no contracts, that's a trade that would happen. I'm sorry, the Twins would NEVER do this deal. The only way the Twins would trade for Barry Zito is if the Giants picked up 95% of the remainder of his contract.

The potential issue is a serious one and I'm sure that will help a little. It will also help to limit a guy being traded five times a year. I also think players in the last year of their contracts are causing some of this. All of that said, the trade logic as a whole really needs to be fixed. The MLB team has always been good about making fixes, I'm sure they'll try like hell to fix this, but there are a lot of franchise errors that got through this year and that type of game balancing is always the toughest to fix. I wish they would have just left that part of the code alone from last year.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #240
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's not just being on a good team though. If your team goes on a stretch of winning games by a lot you don't get save opportunities. Training goals is just a flawed system for determining where your player ends up.

I agree that the non-statistical goals shouldn't be weighted as heavily as they are, but it's a good guideline for kids who don't really get how things work in baseball on how to improve their player...so they know there's more to it other than increasing their fastball velocity. Regarding not getting a lot of PT because your team is playing in a lot of lopsided games, well that's just the way the cookie crumbles. The 2 new training modes (knockout and simulated game) are very good and should help offset getting zero or next to zero work in late innings...at least until you either A.) Are Rule 5 Draft eligible or B.) Get traded to a team who uses you more.

While the goal system is a little whacky, it works for what it's meant to do. As far as playing time and all that, I think it's perfect.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 03-04-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #241
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Maybe that's some of it, but not all. Trading is simply borked right now. I understand and respect some trades are going to happen in a game that defy logic. Trades happen in real life that defy logic too.

But Barry Zito for Jim Thome? If there were no contracts, that's a trade that would happen. I'm sorry, the Twins would NEVER do this deal. The only way the Twins would trade for Barry Zito is if the Giants picked up 95% of the remainder of his contract.

The potential issue is a serious one and I'm sure that will help a little. It will also help to limit a guy being traded five times a year. I also think players in the last year of their contracts are causing some of this. All of that said, the trade logic as a whole really needs to be fixed. The MLB team has always been good about making fixes, I'm sure they'll try like hell to fix this, but there are a lot of franchise errors that got through this year and that type of game balancing is always the toughest to fix. I wish they would have just left that part of the code alone from last year.

Totally agree, but it should help a bit.

At this point, when the patch does in fact come out, I'll be controlling all 30 teams. My team will have my profile, everything to Manual.

CPU teams will all have the same, different profile, with trades and waivers set to Manual.

At the deadline, I'll try and make realistic trades for everyone. Waivers....would love if it worked but it's something I can live without. (Would still exist, but no one would ever be claimed if I control).

I am a Rays fan though, so not being able to press select past the 6th inning is something I REALLY hope they fix considering I'll be playing a crap-ton of games there.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #242
SackAttack
Head Coach

Apparently EA helped with the development.

You can purchase training points or franchise funds from PSN with today's update.

(No, I don't know if they stack).
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #243
TroyF
Coordinator

I know I'm one of only a handful of people, but I actually love that sack.

One of my gripes with RTTS or any of those modes is with things that are natural abilities. For example, speed. If I want to create myself as a speedy CF, I shouldn't have to start off with a 45 speed and spend points to get up to 100. Ditto with power. If I'm naturally powerful, I shouldn't have to start out as a singles hitter and work my way up. I have power or I don't. Or maybe I'm just a naturally talented SS who was born with a strong arm. In RTTS I start out as a noodle arm and have to spend points to become good.

I think this could really help out how I start some careers and I'll be happy to spend the money to do it. Not to cheat per say, but to create the type of starting players I'd like to play with.

Did that rambling make sense to anyone?
Old 03-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #244
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:
I know I'm one of only a handful of people, but I actually love that sack.

One of my gripes with RTTS or any of those modes is with things that are natural abilities. For example, speed. If I want to create myself as a speedy CF, I shouldn't have to start off with a 45 speed and spend points to get up to 100. Ditto with power. If I'm naturally powerful, I shouldn't have to start out as a singles hitter and work my way up. I have power or I don't. Or maybe I'm just a naturally talented SS who was born with a strong arm. In RTTS I start out as a noodle arm and have to spend points to become good.

I think this could really help out how I start some careers and I'll be happy to spend the money to do it. Not to cheat per say, but to create the type of starting players I'd like to play with.

Did that rambling make sense to anyone?

I don't know that I'll be spending money like you, but I agree. You should be able to select the type of hitter you are. So, if you select power, your natural power is in, say, the 60s or whatever, and maybe your contact rating is lower than normal.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #245
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I won't spend the money to do so, but I agree with your point Troy. I wish I could start off with a Stephen Strasburg fastball and not have to work my way up to it over several seasons.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #246
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I totally get what you guys are saying. At the same time, the amount of points you gain in a year or two (putting you at the age of what...20?) are more than enough to jack up your ratings in a particular area with some to spare for other basic attributes like fielding and durability. I mean lets be realistic here, you don't see many 20/21 year olds in the bigs. A lot of the time they're talking about a guy being a "young up and comer" at the age of 24 or even 25.

It's like the Starting Pitcher I had in MLB 09. I played 13 seasons total, and 11 years in the bigs before I retired. I didn't want to be a flame thrower when I was in my prime. I wanted to be more of a Jim Palmer/Greg Maddux type, someone who could paint the corners at will but can only throw 95 or 96 with the wind at my back.

I should post my final career numbers on here...they were a beautiful in their mediocrity

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 03-04-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #247
TroyF
Coordinator

Sun Tzu,

I don't want to jump to the bigs by the time I'm 21. If anything, I intentionally do certain things not to get ratings points too quickly. (ie: I skip most training sessions)

I don't know how much money I'll spend, but I'll probably throw 10 bucks or so to create the type of guy I want. It SHOULD be an option in the game. (I've always said the more a game lets me play like I want, the more I'll enjoy it. If I want to start off with 20 in every category and be a scrub, I should be able to, if I want to start off like "The Natural" and break every record in baseball history I should be able to. I won't make them rich, but I likely will spend some money.

I just simmed 2 seasons of RTTS again and am amazed at how badly the trading is broken. I started out as a LF with the Twins again. On April 14, I was traded straight up for AJ Burnett. Three weeks later the Yankees shipped me to the Royals for Gil Meche and a prospect. The following April I was dealt to the Red Sox for Daniel Bard and a prospect. The Red Sox shipped me off to the Rockies for Tim Hudson.

Good lord. . .

I can promise I won't be buying anything until the game gets fixed.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #248
TroyF
Coordinator

dola here: I spent about 3500 developmental points on bunting and went from a 0 to a 74. Obviously, the big categories start you off at 45 or so to begin with. My guess is around 3 bucks to turn one category into all star level. (to make you an 85 at speed for example) I can see myself creating three types of players to start with. One who is a speedy CF, a power hitting LF and a power pitcher. About 9-10 bucks for three careers. I can live with that.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #249
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Troy have you tried simming a franchise? I always thought RTTS was more wonky in general with trades and such but I never really took the time to research.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:52 PM   #250
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
dola here: I spent about 3500 developmental points on bunting and went from a 0 to a 74. Obviously, the big categories start you off at 45 or so to begin with. My guess is around 3 bucks to turn one category into all star level. (to make you an 85 at speed for example) I can see myself creating three types of players to start with. One who is a speedy CF, a power hitting LF and a power pitcher. About 9-10 bucks for three careers. I can live with that.

Troy, I get what you're saying. They probably should allot some kind of freedom in the game to start out at a level of your choosing without having to actually hand over cold hard cash.

Also, yeah definitely hold off on spending too much dough especially early on. Last year there was a bug in RTTS that was so hard coded into the game that the patch they released to fix it (2 months after launch) required you to start a completely new career. It will be interesting to see if something like that happens this year after some people have spent a good amount of money on their players.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 03-04-2010 at 11:53 PM.