Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-31-2009, 01:42 PM   #201
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I sincerely doubt that Gillespie goes anywhere of note after what has come out regard his antics at Kentucky. He'll end up at a smaller college and will have to rebuild his career.

I think his "antics" (not going to the rotary club? really?) at Kentucky have not made that much of a ripple nationally, and probably not much at all in Texas, where he's had great success. I just think this is seen more about being a bad fit than Gillespie having done a bad job, and I don't think his national reputation will take that much of a hit (like, say Quin Snyder or Larry Eustachy) from it.

If I had to name a leader in the clubhouse, I'd say he's very likely to be the coach at Texas Tech for the 2009-2010 season. Pat Knight has no business being a big time college coach, and they'll soon realize it there (see Sutton, Sean).

Last edited by Samdari : 03-31-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:44 PM   #202
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like the MU athletic department may have asked the board of curators to waive the 5 year limit on contracts for a head coach. Sounds like the sticking point to finalizing the deal is whether the new contract will be a 5 year or a 7 year extension and what the base salary will be for each option.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:46 PM   #203
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
I just think this is seen more about being a bad fit than Gillespie having done a bad job, and I don't think his national reputation will take that much of a hit (like, say Quin Snyder or Larry Eustachy) from it.

Kentucky hired someone to follow Gillespie at night to keep him out of trouble due to his drinking and womanizing. Sounds exactly like the two coaches you mentioned if you ask me.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-31-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:50 PM   #204
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
I sincerely doubt that Gillespie goes anywhere of note after what has come out regard his antics at Kentucky. He'll end up at a smaller college and will have to rebuild his career.

Yep, I'm guessing he ends up following the Coach Doherty career path for the next few seasons.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:08 PM   #205
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Kentucky hired someone to follow Gillespie at night to keep him out of trouble due to his drinking and womanizing. Sounds exactly like the two coaches you mentioned if you ask me.

This is something that is easily dismissed as rumor - I have seen no reputable national media reporting it (as Kentucky will not confirm it).

Snyder and Eustachy had their transgressions blazoned across the headlines, and had documentation. The "someone hired to follow Gillispie" report is from blogs and forums. There is no equating the two whatsoever.

Gillispie will work, in a major conference, within the next five years (unless he takes a lower job and bombs). I'd bet after a single season of sitting out and negotiating the buyout with Kentucky (which will take the whole year).
Old 03-31-2009, 02:14 PM   #206
molson
General Manager

I'm tempted to start spreading some college sports rumors on message boards. I'll say, "I know some people at the university who told me..." or perhaps, "I overheard Calapari at a coffee shop. He didn't think anyone would recognize him at a Memphis coffee shop and figured that was a good place to talk freely about contract matters. He talked for exactly 8 minutes and happened to cover everything the news media is interested in, in bullet-point efficiency".

Of course, since I'm in Idaho, I should start with, "Chris Peterson bought a car from my cousin. He told me that his daughter has enrolled at Notre Dame and he spoke very highly of the football tradition there".

Last edited by molson : 03-31-2009 at 02:17 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:15 PM   #207
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

More fallout from the Memphis situation. The #4 guard in the nation (Stevenson) was supposed to commit today to Kansas. He has now said he will not commit to Kansas at this point. He's concerned that Xavier Henry will be granted a release from his LOI and will commit to Kansas. Henry has an addendum in his LOI that says he must be released if Calipari moves to a different school.

Also, DeMarcus Cousins has said in an interview that he will consider Washington and Kansas State in addition to Kentucky if/when Calipari takes the UK job.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-31-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:28 PM   #208
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
This is something that is easily dismissed as rumor - I have seen no reputable national media reporting it (as Kentucky will not confirm it).

You're reading it on message boards/blogs; I'm hearing it from connected boosters. The reason it hasn't made news is that there's no hard/public evidence (like photos or arrest records), and the local media here need to keep in the university's good graces. I suspect that's the same for most small town newspapers covering the "only game in town."

I've heard from fairly reputable folks that he's been saved from a DUI on more than one occasion. That's not going to get reported. Now, if he's arrested or some chick has a picture of him in bondage or something and posts it on the net, they've got no choice but to cover it.

I understand being skeptical of these kinds of reports, and maybe this is all part of a grand scheme to make the guy look like an asshole, but I will say that I heard this stuff witrhin a couple of months of him taking the job. So it's not like this is recent news to anyone around here.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:29 PM   #209
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Henry has an addendum in his LOI that says he must be released if Calipari moves to a different school.

I am pretty sure this is not possible. According to the NCAA's NLI website, the NLI is a standard form that all athletes sign (the schools MUST use the pdf they download from the NCAA). The schools may make promises to that effect, and may even do so in writing, but its not on the letter of intent, from what I can determine.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:30 PM   #210
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Apparently a deal has been made to let Nixon out of his LOI if Cal leaves.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #211
Ksyrup

Quote:
I am pretty sure this is not possible. According to the NCAA's NLI website, the NLI is a standard form that all athletes sign (the schools MUST use the pdf they download from the NCAA). The schools may make promises to that effect, and may even do so in writing, but its not on the letter of intent, from what I can determine.

That may be, but this is directly from one of the stories floating around:

Quote:
Carol Dennis, the mother of University of Memphis recruit Nolan Dennis, told The Commercial Appeal Monday that the letter-of-intent her son signed last fall contains an addendum that would allow him to follow Calipari to another school.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-31-2009, 02:37 PM   #212
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
You're reading it on message boards/blogs; I'm hearing it from connected boosters. The reason it hasn't made news is that there's no hard/public evidence (like photos or arrest records), and the local media here need to keep in the university's good graces. I suspect that's the same for most small town newspapers covering the "only game in town."

I've heard from fairly reputable folks that he's been saved from a DUI on more than one occasion. That's not going to get reported. Now, if he's arrested or some chick has a picture of him in bondage or something and posts it on the net, they've got no choice but to cover it.

I understand being skeptical of these kinds of reports, and maybe this is all part of a grand scheme to make the guy look like an asshole, but I will say that I heard this stuff witrhin a couple of months of him taking the job. So it's not like this is recent news to anyone around here.

Maybe it's all true, but why would allegations that would bring down an entire basketball program be so well known in a community, and then so blabbed about? I'm sure dark things happen, but why would a school inform a booster, and why would the booster be so loose with the info? Is part of the privelege of being a booster access to dirty laundry that you can spread around and feel like a big shot? Is that the "elite Wildcat" donation plan? Or is the boosters pulling the strings? Wouldn't they want to keep that off the internet? Do your sources give you permission to talk about these things publically?

It just seems more logical that someone saw him at a bar, went to the bathroom, and when he came back, the coach was gone, annd then figured that must have meant he drove, and since he didn't get a DUI, the school must have pulled some strings.

Last edited by molson : 03-31-2009 at 02:38 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:40 PM   #213
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

I am offering no opinion on the veracity of the report, only on the public perception of their credibility. I've never liked Gillispie, and believe any report that paints him as a jackass.

The boosters who will be making the decision as to whether Gillespie will be the coach at another big time basketball school tend to be three things: rich, old, and white. The old part generally means they will accept everything written in a newspaper as fact, and not ever hear, or disbelieve, information delivered via internet forum or blog.

If it makes the newspapers that they hired someone to follow Gillispie around to avoid the public embarassment of him getting a DUI, that will obviously be damaging. If the stories/rumors about personal conduct remain only in blogs/forums, I don't believe that will hurt him in seeking future employment.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:45 PM   #214
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
That may be, but this is directly from one of the stories floating around:
:

Quote:
Carol Dennis, the mother of University of Memphis recruit Nolan Dennis, told The Commercial Appeal Monday that the letter-of-intent her son signed last fall contains an addendum that would allow him to follow Calipari to another school.

Go read the site, and show me the part where it suggests anything but the standard form will suffice.

I think it far more likely that report had something lost in translation - I think he was promised in writing that he would be let out if Cal left (and that they will keep that promise). I just don't think it was an addendum to the LOI, and that in the eye of the NCAA both parties are bound by the standard LOI terms.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:06 PM   #215
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
:I think it far more likely that report had something lost in translation - I think he was promised in writing that he would be let out if Cal left (and that they will keep that promise). I just don't think it was an addendum to the LOI, and that in the eye of the NCAA both parties are bound by the standard LOI terms.

Three of the Memphis recruits have signed documents in hand that state that they are free to leave if Calipari leaves. If you want to be a stickler, I suppose you're technically correct that it's not part of the LOI. It's a separate document that was signed at the same time.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-31-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:15 PM   #216
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Yes, Missouri used to have high expectations, but they haven't had that for a few years now. I think this is the first year since 1998-1999 when Missouri finished above fourth place in the conference. I just don't understand why you're taking shots at Texas for having one season where they didn't meet expectations. The Longhorns have been one of the better programs in the Big 12 since it's inception.

I don't disagree that the problem at Missouri was Quin Snyder. Anderson has done a solid job at Missouri, but let's not forget that this is his third year at Missouri. The first two years he struggled to make the NIT. And next year, Missouri has to replace 40% of their scoring and rebounding. They've got a couple of good players to build on, but I don't think anybody would be surprised if they dropped off a bit next year.

Quote:
But low expectations at Mizzou is only a recent thing. Mizzou had been to the NCAA tournament 21 times in 27 years before Quin send the program into a downward spiral with his antics. MU was a NCAA regular before that. Also, even with the rough time Mizzou has had recently, they've had three players leave early for the NBA. Keyon Dooling, Kareem Rush, and Linas Kleiza were all early departures. But those players weren't the reason for Mizzou's setbacks as they were obviously very talented. The setbacks were all Quin Snyder.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:18 PM   #217
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Three of the Memphis recruits have signed documents in hand that state that they are free to leave if Calipari leaves. If you want to be a stickler, I suppose you're technically correct that it's not part of the LOI. It's a separate document that was signed at the same time.

The MCI has this in one of their myriad of stories on the Calipari decision.

"All four players who signed with Memphis in the fall have the same unconditional release in their letters."

Still, I wonder how many of them will actually be able to follow Cal to UK. I imagine they'll have no problem clearing the two scholarships they are over for next year. How many schollies can the school let him cancel (oops, not renew) before it becomes a huge PR problem? If everyone who reportedly wants to follow him were indeed to come, that would mean they'd need 8 more spots in addition to the 2 they currently need to clear. I doubt he takes the transfers - they'd be ineligible next year. Still, they'd need to clear 7 spots to fit the existing Memphis and UK recruits.

The Memphis and Lexington paper websites are both very interesting reads today.

Last edited by Samdari : 03-31-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:28 PM   #218
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The boosters who will be making the decision as to whether Gillespie will be the coach at another big time basketball school tend to be three things: rich, old, and white.

What you leave out is that they also have a tendency to enjoy winning. If Gillespie is believed to be their best chance of doing that, they'll write the checks. If they don't, they likely won't. But if he wins enough & doesn't get arrested on felony charges or get the pants sued off the university/state, then he can drive as drunk as he wants and screw anybody he wants to screw.

Short of getting a school the death penalty, winning trumps pretty much everything. It's why he's out at Kentucky, it's why someone else will hire him (if they believe he's the guy to get them there).

His biggest problem right now is whether anybody in a top tier conference/program believes he can do that to the extent they're hoping for.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:29 PM   #219
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

The same media source that reported it was a done deal is now saying that Cal is conflicted and has no idea what to do. Memphis boosters have offered him the world to stay.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:43 PM   #220
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The Fox affiliate in Memphis just reported that the Calipari deal is done to KY and that Memphis has received permission to talk with Mike Anderson.

This is from the rivals Memphis main page on the LOIs:
Quote:
If John Calipari leaves the University of Memphis, what will happen with the recruits that he has signed?

Memphis has a signed National Letter of Intent (NLI) with three recruits: Will Coleman and Darnell Dodson, the junior college transfers, and high school senior Xavier Henry. It is not possible for those potential student-athletes to break their commitment without getting a release from the U of M. If the U of M were to give those three a release, they could immediately re-open their recruitment. It would then be possible, of course, for them to follow Calipari to UK. Though that is a possibility, it is highly improbable. It simply does not happen very often. DeMarcus Cousins, who has given a verbal commitment to Memphis, would be free to sign an NLI with anyone he chooses—including, of course, Kentucky. John Wall, the consensus number one recruit in the country, has not indicated what school he wishes to attend. Obviously, he, too, would be free to sign with any school of his choice. Kentucky has never been on his list, which could change if Calipari takes the job there.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:44 PM   #221
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

If Anderson went to Memphis that would be ironic.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:55 PM   #222
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

No kidding. Like rain on your wedding day or something.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:02 PM   #223
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
No kidding. Like rain on your wedding day or something.

Like a free ride, when you've already paid?
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:06 PM   #224
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
What you leave out is that they also have a tendency to enjoy winning. If Gillespie is believed to be their best chance of doing that, they'll write the checks. If they don't, they likely won't. But if he wins enough & doesn't get arrested on felony charges or get the pants sued off the university/state, then he can drive as drunk as he wants and screw anybody he wants to screw.

Short of getting a school the death penalty, winning trumps pretty much everything. It's why he's out at Kentucky, it's why someone else will hire him (if they believe he's the guy to get them there).

His biggest problem right now is whether anybody in a top tier conference/program believes he can do that to the extent they're hoping for.

That's why I picked a Texas school. They will remember him as resurrecting two pretty moribund programs there more than they will remember him not addressing the rotary club in Lexington.

I expect Texas Tech to continue their road to moribundity and be looking for a coach next season. The Sean Sutton Rule says you have to give unfortunately-named-coaches-in-waiting-to-placate-their-legendary-fathers two and a half years before firing them.

Besides, who doesn't think Bobby's commentary on Pat's being fired at TTU will be prime tv viewing?

Last edited by Samdari : 03-31-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:14 PM   #225
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Memphis would be a great job for Anderson. He'd get to return to Conference USA where he's had success before with his style of play. His recruiting would likely be improved and the money would obviously be better than what he previously made.

I'll say this, I wouldn't blame Missouri AD Mike Alden if he didn't get into a bidding war. Anderson has had one good season in his three years at Missouri. There are a number of quality coaches out there whom he might rather throw big money at. Of course, Alden may feel pressured given that attendance has been down for Missouri basketball since his hiring of Quin. Alden and Quin practically threw Missouri basketball into the cellar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Old 03-31-2009, 05:44 PM   #226
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Sounds like it's official...Calipari to Kentucky.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:45 PM   #227
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

LOL I'm rooting hard for Mike Anderson to go to Memphis.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:31 PM   #228
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
LOL I'm rooting hard for Mike Anderson to go to Memphis.

That would be epic.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:00 PM   #229
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Missouri confirms that Mike Anderson has agreed to a 7-year extension with the Tigers. Whew!
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:01 PM   #230
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
What happened to DePaul? Was Pat Kennedy part of the problem? I remember when he took FSU to the NCAA tournament a couple of years in a row back in the late 90s (not to mention an Elite Eight appearance around 1992 with Bobby Sura and Charlie Ward), and he basically wanted a "coach for life"-type extension, and when the school wouldn't give it to him, he bolted for DePaul. I lost track of him after that. Did he suck it up with DePaul?

Pat Kennedy actually brought them back from crap for a couple years. He recruited a monster class that included Quentin Richardson, Bobby Simmons, Stephen Hunter, and Paul McPherson. I believe they made the NIT the first year and the tournament the next (lost to Kansas I think).

He was a great recruiter but horrible in-game coach. That team should have been a top 10 team. Still, he did bring the team back from the pile of crap Joey Meyer left it at.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:37 PM   #231
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Missouri confirms that Mike Anderson has agreed to a 7-year extension with the Tigers. Whew!

Terms were a 1.6M base salary with bonus up to 2.3M. So basically the same salary structure that Georgia was offering.

Certainly not a surprise. Memphis and Georgia would have both been monumental rebuilding efforts with all of the transfers at those two programs. Mike Anderson told the AD he wanted to stay at Mizzou and they got it done. Reportedly, Anderson didn't visit a single school, contrary to the false rumors that were spread in Atlanta and Memphis. Kudos to all involved at Mizzou for handling the situation well.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:05 PM   #232
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Great news for Missouri and my opinion of Anderson has gone up as well. With the Memphis opening and Georgia, he could have held out for more money but he took a fair deal from Missouri.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:07 PM   #233
MrBug708
Head Coach

Who the hell is Arizona going to hire?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:18 PM   #234
Arles
Grey Dog Software

It looks like this situation:

1. Pie in the sky choices (estimate a 20% chance)
Pitino, Dixon, Wright

2. More likely, but still questionable (30% chance)
Few, Capel

3. Up-and-comer, but lose the press conference (30% chance)
Mark Fox, Matt Painter, Buzz Williams

4. The old standby to save face (15% chance)
Kruger, Tim Floyd, Pearl

5. Complete longshot (5%)
Josh Pastner

At this point, it isn't looking great. If Arizona can't land Pitino (I hear they have a shot if they will pay him $4 mil a season), then I would prefer Few, Caple or one of the up-and-comers. I'd almost rather have Pastner than Pearl or Floyd.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:24 PM   #235
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Mike Anderson is a good guy so don't take this the wrong way, but he was looking at a major rebuilding job at Memphis and his agent wasn't too high on Georgia's current administration as that job has pretty much been a coaching graveyard. Staying at Missouri was pretty much a no brainer no matter how much money Memphis may have thrown at him if they had talked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Great news for Missouri and my opinion of Anderson has gone up as well. With the Memphis opening and Georgia, he could have held out for more money but he took a fair deal from Missouri.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:24 PM   #236
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

lol buzz williams
Old 03-31-2009, 09:34 PM   #237
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

It was fun will it lasted. Memphis will now slip back to irrelevance. At least I will have no more embarrassing rants on FOFC!
Old 03-31-2009, 09:40 PM   #238
spleen1015
Coordinator

Matt Painter will be at Purdue for 40 years. He was hand picked to replace Keady. He is a Purdue guy. He will never leave.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:54 PM   #239
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

As a sidenote to this whole Memphis situation, I'd note that the jackass at the Memphis Commercial-Appeal who insisted no less than 4 times that Memphis was granted permission to talk to Anderson should lose all credibility with his 'sources'. That guy just kept throwing shit at the wall hoping it would stick and it didn't. Not once. He stirred rumors that had no basis in reality. Anderson told Alden two days ago that his wife and he loved the Mizzou program and had no intentions of leaving as long as they could get a fair market value offer.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:31 PM   #240
Ksyrup

Speaking of unsubstantiated rumors, I wonder who the idiot was who said Donovan was taking the UK job 10 seconds after Gillispie was fired? I think he was from an Orlando paper or TV station. That dude should have to go sit in the corner for a few months.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:39 PM   #241
Ksyrup

Well, UK got Calipari to actually sign his contract, so he's already off to a better start than Gillispie.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:57 PM   #242
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I don't know how Memphis could have contacted Missouri regarding Anderson at that time given they were supposedly still trying to woo Calipari to return. The earliest they would have contacted Missouri would have been last night or today.

As for Anderson, you can't deny that he did look around. According to his agent, they were in contact with Georgia. I have no doubt that Georgia was probably a bargaining chip to use against Missouri. Even the agent didn't seem too enthused with Georgia in his comments. But Anderson's agent was certainly willing to talk to other teams. Now Missouri has to hope that this year wasn't some fluke for Anderson.

Quote:
As a sidenote to this whole Memphis situation, I'd note that the jackass at the Memphis Commercial-Appeal who insisted no less than 4 times that Memphis was granted permission to talk to Anderson should lose all credibility with his 'sources'. That guy just kept throwing shit at the wall hoping it would stick and it didn't. Not once. He stirred rumors that had no basis in reality. Anderson told Alden two days ago that his wife and he loved the Mizzou program and had no intentions of leaving as long as they could get a fair market value offer.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:59 PM   #243
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Somebody is going to end up with a really good coach in Gillespie. Hopefully he can straighten out his life before that point.

Quote:
Well, UK got Calipari to actually sign his contract, so he's already off to a better start than Gillispie.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:52 PM   #244
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
I don't know how Memphis could have contacted Missouri regarding Anderson at that time given they were supposedly still trying to woo Calipari to return. The earliest they would have contacted Missouri would have been last night or today.

As for Anderson, you can't deny that he did look around. According to his agent, they were in contact with Georgia. I have no doubt that Georgia was probably a bargaining chip to use against Missouri. Even the agent didn't seem too enthused with Georgia in his comments. But Anderson's agent was certainly willing to talk to other teams. Now Missouri has to hope that this year wasn't some fluke for Anderson.

I think the courtesy of requesting permission to speak/negotiate with coaches has gone away, for the most part. There are a lot of third parties out there, that act as go-betweens, that put out feelers, set the parameters, see whether there is genuine interest, etc. before any formal negotiations are made. Basically, these guys round up candidates and make sure that they are interested before the ADs "officially" open things up.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:07 AM   #245
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I think the courtesy of requesting permission to speak/negotiate with coaches has gone away, for the most part. There are a lot of third parties out there, that act as go-betweens, that put out feelers, set the parameters, see whether there is genuine interest, etc. before any formal negotiations are made. Basically, these guys round up candidates and make sure that they are interested before the ADs "officially" open things up.

Minnesota's AD Joel Maturi has said with search firms and going through coaches agents, requesting permission only occurs after everything has been worked out and the coach has agreed to take a new position.

Last edited by mckerney : 04-01-2009 at 12:08 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:51 AM   #246
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I don't disagree, but again Memphis was still wooing Calipari so I highly doubt they were talking to Mike Anderson at the same time.

Quote:
Old 04-01-2009, 07:34 AM   #247
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
I don't disagree, but again Memphis was still wooing Calipari so I highly doubt they were talking to Mike Anderson at the same time.

Actually, Memphis and Georgia did both contact Anderson's agent. Memphis asked Mike Anderson to come to Memphis and offered the job before Calipari had even officially taken the new job. They assumed he was gone even if he didn't take the UK job. Before salary numbers were even exchanged, Anderson said 'thanks, but no thanks'.

Georgia approached with a 1.6M base salary. Anderson also said no to that, but the Georgia offer was used as the basis for his new contract extension at Mizzou. But as I mentioned before, neither school was granted permission to speak directly with Anderson.

Another interesting note is that Memphis did actually ask for permission to talk formally with Coach Anderson to take another shot at wooing him 1/2 hour AFTER the new contract extension was signed.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-01-2009 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:53 AM   #248
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

Yeah, the way this thing reads is that UK asked for permission to talk to Calipari on Monday, but that they had already been talking all weekend.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:55 AM   #249
Ksyrup

Quote:
Another interesting note is that Memphis did actually ask for permission to talk formally with Coach Anderson to take another shot at wooing him 1/2 hour AFTER the new contract extension was signed.

Wow, Josh McDaniels is doing double duty as Memphis' AD, too, huh?

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-01-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:57 AM   #250
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Wow, Josh McDaniels is doing double duty as Mizzou's AD, too, huh?

Actually, one of the Mizzou Board of Regents members mentioned the contact in a KC Star article.