Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-26-2008, 12:22 PM   #201
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Marty Straka leaves the Rangers to go play for his old Czech team.

Allow me to be the first to say...WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Don't cheer just yet.

Quote:
PRAGUE, Czech Republic - Martin Straka has not signed a contract with HC Lasselsberger Plzen, his agent said Thursday, despite an announcement to the contrary from the Czech club.

''Marty has made it clear that he will wait until after July 1 to evaluate all his options and make an informed decision at that time,'' Ritch Winter, Straka's longtime agent, told The Canadian Press on Thursday.

Also...Sources tell TSN Scott Niedermayer and Anaheim Ducks general manager Brian Burke met briefly Thursday morning at which point the 34-old-defenceman informed Burke he will return for the final year of his contract.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:27 PM   #202
Logan
Head Coach

Six minutes. Six god damn minutes of jubilation is what you allowed me? Thanks a lot, prick.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #203
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Six minutes. Six god damn minutes of jubilation is what you allowed me? Thanks a lot, prick.

I'm always looking to help out a Ranger fan
Old 06-26-2008, 01:50 PM   #204
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Sources tell TSN that for the 2008-09 season, the salary cap will rise to a maximum of $56.7-million. That is a $6.4-million increase from this past season when the cap was set at $50.3-million.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:48 PM   #205
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Forgive me if I missed this being mentioned somewhere else in this thread, but Barry Frickin' Melrose?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3458608

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:17 PM   #206
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Penguins make Brooks Orpik an offer...which he promptly turns down

No numbers given, but they are allegedly still talking.

We're going to go from Hossa, Malone and Orpik to Satan, Asham and Commodore I think.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #207
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Why doesn't anyone want to stay in Pittsburgh? Is there something we don't know about the chemistry in the locker room or with Therrien?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:28 PM   #208
Pyser
Pro Rookie

its pretty well documented that the players dont like therrien.

i guess its also well documented that players like money. as much of it as possible.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:41 AM   #209
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Don't cheer just yet.

Also...Sources tell TSN Scott Niedermayer and Anaheim Ducks general manager Brian Burke met briefly Thursday morning at which point the 34-old-defenceman informed Burke he will return for the final year of his contract.

Woot!

Actually, Burke has been saying for weeks Scotty would come back. And I am guessing that means Teemu will come back, too.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:47 AM   #210
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
its pretty well documented that the players dont like therrien.

i guess its also well documented that players like money. as much of it as possible.

Yeah, I remember some article right after the finals about how many of the players hated Therrien. I believe Oprik and Malone were two of the main anti-Therrien guys, pretty much stating they wouldn't be back if he was still around.

That + Mad Loots is more than enough to convince players to bolt.

So, the new cap: $56.7 million cap and a $40.7 million floor. I know that there were at least a few teams pre-lockout who had team salaries below $40 million.

Yay, LOCKOUT!!!! You accomplished a lot there, fellas!!!!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:43 AM   #211
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Orpik had said during the season pretty much how unhappy he was. He and Whitney both had 3-4 game stints at LW on the 4th line.

But he also has brought up he played the best hockey of his career under Therrien.

Mostly it's money.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:59 AM   #212
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Mostly it's money.

That's it right there. Unlike you, most of my other friends thought that everyone that was a FA for the Pens were going to take this elaborate pay cut so that they could all come back next year as the same time. When I told them they were crazy I was laughed at.

Orpik should realize that if he signs with the Pens, Therrien will probably be gone a lot sooner than when his contract would expire.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:35 AM   #213
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's it right there. Unlike you, most of my other friends thought that everyone that was a FA for the Pens were going to take this elaborate pay cut so that they could all come back next year as the same time. When I told them they were crazy I was laughed at.

Orpik should realize that if he signs with the Pens, Therrien will probably be gone a lot sooner than when his contract would expire.

And they are going to all hold hands, sing Kumbaya and make s'mores.

I am glad they are not even considering Malone at this point. Just because someone else might offer him $5M doesn't mean Shero should offer him $4.5
Old 06-27-2008, 08:38 AM   #214
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

You're right, Shero has to be smart and if that means taking a step back next year so that he doesn't cripple the team in the future then that is the smart move. They will still make the playoffs, contend, they just might not go as far as this year.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:04 AM   #215
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
You're right, Shero has to be smart and if that means taking a step back next year so that he doesn't cripple the team in the future then that is the smart move. They will still make the playoffs, contend, they just might not go as far as this year.

Exactly...keeping Crosby, Malkin, Staal and Fleury is key. Then behind them, Whitney, Letang and possibly I'd put Orpik in that "core" group. Malone is a replaceable part. While Orpik could be replaceable, there are alot fewer of his type of player (at least his type from march forward) than there are Malone-types.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:29 AM   #216
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

An early (unconfirmed) rumor says that the Ducks are going to buyout Todd Bertuzzi. That'd be sweet.

Update: The rumor seems to have been confirmed. Big Bert is on waivers and will be bought out once he clears.

That's awesome.

No idea where he'll end up. Toronto?

Edit: I assume this news will make the Cheif a very happy Ducks fan. Between this and the fact that Neidermayer is coming back next year makes it a very good day in that regard.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 06-27-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:52 AM   #217
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
So, the new cap: $56.7 million cap and a $40.7 million floor. I know that there were at least a few teams pre-lockout who had team salaries below $40 million.

Yay, strong Canadian/crappy American dollars!!!! You accomplished a lot there, fellas!!!!

Fixed a bit. Quite a bit of irony in that the Canadian teams who were so worried about their financial position several years ago are pretty much the teams that are causing the cap to surge in the last couple of years with their attendance figures.

Also, that $40 million threshold was true post-lockout. Carolina won the Cup in 2006 and I think the payroll at the start of that year was about $28 million before puffing up a little after trading for Weight and Recchi. Now, we're putting up $50 million or so and can't get into the playoffs.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:06 PM   #218
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
An early (unconfirmed) rumor says that the Ducks are going to buyout Todd Bertuzzi. That'd be sweet.

Update: The rumor seems to have been confirmed. Big Bert is on waivers and will be bought out once he clears.

That's awesome.

I can name one place where he certainly wont
Old 06-27-2008, 12:09 PM   #219
Pyser
Pro Rookie

There are apparently 35 million reasons why impending free agent Jaromir Jagr has not responded to Glen Sather's invitation to meet with him regarding a 2008-09 return to Broadway. A reliable third party source yesterday told The Post that his connections in the Czech Republic believe that Jagr has recently received a three-year contract offer for the equivalent of $35M after-tax US dollars from Omsk of the Russian Super League. - the always reliable NY Post
Old 06-27-2008, 12:25 PM   #220
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
He'd be a great pickup on a one-year "prove yourself" type of deal. Can't see them making any sort of commitment to him beyond that.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:59 PM   #221
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
He'd be a great pickup on a one-year "prove yourself" type of deal. Can't see them making any sort of commitment to him beyond that.
Although he'd probably have some interesting conversations with Dominic Moore.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #222
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
I can name one place where he certainly wont

Every team in the NHL if they are smart (of course they are not so he will likely end up on Broadway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:11 PM   #223
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Sources tell TSN the Philadelphia Flyers and forward Jeff Carter have officially agreed to terms on a three-year, $15 million contract extension.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #224
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Sources tell TSN the Philadelphia Flyers and forward Jeff Carter have officially agreed to terms on a three-year, $15 million contract extension.

Quote:
You can scratch Jeff Carter's name off the list of potential trade bait this weekend. Sources are telling Sportsnet that Carter has agreed to a three-year deal with the Philadelphia Flyers that is believed to pay him no less than $15 million.

Heh. Sportsnet (or was it Sportsdigs? Bsak, CHECK YOUR SOURCES) had this a week ago...
Old 06-27-2008, 04:26 PM   #225
Pyser
Pro Rookie

ha. part of me thought i had read that before.

but another, lazier part of me thought id post just to be safe
Old 06-27-2008, 04:52 PM   #226
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
ha. part of me thought i had read that before.

but another, lazier part of me thought id post just to be safe

Don't blame you. The lazier part of me wins like 99% of all struggles. He is, pound-for-pound, one of the fiercest forces in world.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:31 PM   #227
Pyser
Pro Rookie

the lazier part of the devils offense won the whole damn season.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:09 PM   #228
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That's awesome.

Edit: I assume this news will make the Cheif a very happy Ducks fan. Between this and the fact that Neidermayer is coming back next year makes it a very good day in that regard.

Yup, you're right. It's not that I was a Bert hater from the Moore incident. I wasn't. It's just that he was getting paid way too much for what he was contributing. The cap is tight enough as it is. If this means we can re-sign Perry and still have enough cap room to add a solid second line center and Teemu, I couldn't be happier with that.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #229
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Tampa trades Pittsburgh a 4th round pick for the negotiating rights to Ryan Malone and Gary Roberts. Maybe Malone is waffling on his flat out refusal to sign pre-July 1.

Not a bad move for Pittsburgh, it essentially gets something for nothing.

There has been talk about the Wings maybe re-signing Bertuzzi. It's all just idle speculation by the local beat writers. Apparently he enjoyed his brief stint in Detroit. I don't know. I'd rather do without the guy. He's got a cloud about him and is a distraction.

Like ML mentioned above, he could make sense at some incentive, small guaranteed money deal, but even then...
Old 06-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #230
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

This whole Malone/Roberts thing is weird.

Malone flat out said he's refuse to negotiate with anyone before July 1 about 2 weeks ago. Is the situation in Tampa that much more appealing than Columbus?

Roberts wanted out of Florida in 2007, to move closer to Toronto to be near his family. Don't see him signing with Tampa.

And Tampa...if you are making this move, don't you give yourself more than 36 hours to negotiate?

But as HB said, something for nothing--neither of those guys was coming back to Pittsburgh. Now, onto Hossa and Orpik...
Old 06-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #231
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
This whole Malone/Roberts thing is weird.

Malone flat out said he's refuse to negotiate with anyone before July 1 about 2 weeks ago. Is the situation in Tampa that much more appealing than Columbus?

Roberts wanted out of Florida in 2007, to move closer to Toronto to be near his family. Don't see him signing with Tampa.

And Tampa...if you are making this move, don't you give yourself more than 36 hours to negotiate?

Well, early reports out of Tampa indicate that the Lightning have signed Roberts to a 1 year, $2 million deal and Malone to a long term that "will exceed $30 million".
Old 06-29-2008, 12:58 PM   #232
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Well, early reports out of Tampa indicate that the Lightning have signed Roberts to a 1 year, $2 million deal and Malone to a long term that "will exceed $30 million".

Apparently TB is fine with only having Stamkos for 3 seasons. Kid is going to be a star and get Crosby like money if you ask me. Sure, they can let St. Louis go, but this is absurd.

Nice work Mullet.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #233
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Apparently TB is fine with only having Stamkos for 3 seasons. Kid is going to be a star and get Crosby like money if you ask me. Sure, they can let St. Louis go, but this is absurd.

Nice work Mullet.

They would at least recoup something from Stamkos if he truly is gone after 3 seasons-- they could either match the offersheet he signs, or let him go for picks.

Malone has played some center in the past, they should move him back there and have him center Roberts and Michel Ouellet, and they can discuss what it was like back in Pittsburgh when they used to win games.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:42 PM   #234
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola

Alexei Zhitnik waived in Atlanta. That Coburn trade didn't work out so well for them.

Also, I look back at some of this stuff and wonder how some of these guys are still emplyed as GMs. Philly sent (bsak correct me if I am wrong) Freddy Meyer IV + a pick to the Isles for Zhitnik, and them a few weeks later, moved Zhitnik for Coburn. How the hell does Philly turn Freddy Meyer into Braydon Coburn!?
Old 06-29-2008, 03:14 PM   #235
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I like what Homer has done with this team, he's a good scout and can find some good players. I am hoping that he is right that Eminger needs a change of scenery.

Maybe since Flyer fans were such with such shitty Clarke as GM, we are getting paid back with a good one in Homer.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #236
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

According to Sportsnet.ca, the deal is reportedly going to pay Malone $31 Million over 7 years, or an average of $4.43 Million per season.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:27 PM   #237
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
According to Sportsnet.ca, the deal is reportedly going to pay Malone $31 Million over 7 years, or an average of $4.43 Million per season.

That sounds about right...Martin Erat got $31.5 over 7 a few weeks back.

That said...overpayment. But as alot of these contracts go, while they look monstrous in year one and two, by year 6, assuming the cap keeps rising, it's not a bad hit against the cap.

Still, he'll be 35 the final year of that deal, and has exactly one season over 50 points.

Overpayment but at least $1M a year.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:46 PM   #238
Simms
FOBL Commish

I read something this morning -- I can't remember where, otherwise I'd link it ... but I think was at Kukla's Korner -- that said Malone's dad, Greg, had at one point been a scout for the Penguins, but had been recently "shown the door", which was when the relationship between Ryan and the Pens started breaking down.

And in related news, the Lightning hired Greg Malone as a scout last week.

Last edited by Simms : 06-29-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Simms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:49 PM   #239
Simms
FOBL Commish

Here's the source (via KK):

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2008/06...say_what.shtml
Old 06-29-2008, 06:22 PM   #240
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Papa Malone also played for the Penguins in the 80's.

He was let go with the whole Craig Patrick regime. So, that might have been part of it.

Also, part of it might have been that in his three seasons prior to this, Malone was lazy and inconsistent.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:34 PM   #241
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

the Avs re-sign Adam Foote (2 years, $3 million per) and John-Michael Liles (4 years, $4 million per). Signing Foote was pretty much a sure thing, but it didn't seem like Liles was coming back. Both of these guys took what seems to be about a million or so less per year to come back to Colorado. I'm pretty excited about these two deals.

The Avs have a pretty good defensive corp shaping up for next year - Foote, Clark, Salei, Leopold, Liles, Hannan. That's about $20 million worth of cap space, so they better be very good.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:38 AM   #242
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
That sounds about right...Martin Erat got $31.5 over 7 a few weeks back.

That said...overpayment. But as alot of these contracts go, while they look monstrous in year one and two, by year 6, assuming the cap keeps rising, it's not a bad hit against the cap.

Still, he'll be 35 the final year of that deal, and has exactly one season over 50 points.

Overpayment but at least $1M a year.

I think the Malone will be slightly overpaid, but I think anything less than $4.5M would be about right for free agency. He certainly wont be the most overpaid guy in the NHL. Would I rather have Malone or Erat at $4.43? I'd probably say Malone.

The salary level is just about where Pinner is at for Edmonton, I believe. Considering Edmonton had to part with draft picks as well... I don't know. I guess if I had to choose, I'd take Pinner. He has a bit more offensive upside, though, especially for a guy his size, he completely lacks the toughness/physical presence of Malone.

Speaking of the Oil... They trade Matt Greene and Jarret Stoll to L.A. for Visnovksy.

Also, Tampa has acquired the rights for Rolston (for, what, 36 hours?) from Minnesota. It looks like the new ownership in Tampa is really trying to make a statement early on.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:27 AM   #243
samifan24
Pro Starter

I thought the Oilers front office viewed Jarrett Stoll as a future centerpiece. When did this cease to be the case?
Old 06-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #244
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I thought the Oilers front office viewed Jarrett Stoll as a future centerpiece. When did this cease to be the case?

He had concussion problems that kept him out for a long time. He hasn't really been the same since he's come back.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:54 PM   #245
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Also, Tampa has acquired the rights for Rolston (for, what, 36 hours?) from Minnesota. It looks like the new ownership in Tampa is really trying to make a statement early on.

And that statement appears to be that you don't need to worry about defense or goaltending to win in this league.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:59 PM   #246
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i cant argue tampas moves. their top 2 lines could easily be

prospal - vinny - st louis
malone - stamkos - rolston

a few weeks ago 4 of those guys werent even on the roster. thats progress in my book.

course all these trading boyle rumors would undo that progress pretty quickly
Old 06-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #247
Arctic Blast
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post

He was awful last year. And the problem with Edmonton as a hockey market...you put up one bad year, the Oiler fans will grind you in to dust. They really eat their own in this town.

This makes it obvious that either...a. Edmonton has found someone stupid enough to take Sheldon Souray's contract off their hands or, b. Pitkanen is going to be signed and moved.
Arctic Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #248
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

No Jagr or Avery for NYR?

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:39 PM   #249
Logan
Head Coach

I have no issue with Avery not coming back. He wants too much money and too many years. And from what someone at the Rangers said, he's much more interested in building his acting career than his hockey one.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:37 PM   #250
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Blast View Post
He was awful last year. And the problem with Edmonton as a hockey market...you put up one bad year, the Oiler fans will grind you in to dust. They really eat their own in this town.

This makes it obvious that either...a. Edmonton has found someone stupid enough to take Sheldon Souray's contract off their hands or, b. Pitkanen is going to be signed and moved.

I'm assuming Pitkanen won't be here to start the season and that he'll be moved as part of a deal for a top two line forward. For the record though, I hate this deal as I was quite hoping Stoll would sign a one year deal (fairly cheap due to how last season went), then the club could make a more informed decision on what to do with him after this season. Never mind that I think Greene was a necessary style player on a D core who's only other "tough" guys are on the wrong side of the age equation.

I'm hoping the domino effect of this turns out a lot better than this deal, but on it's own (not even factoring in the contract ramifications) I'm not a fan of it.