Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-29-2008, 07:44 AM   #201
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I like how he stands up at the end and starts walking down the road like he didn't even notice that he had bounced off two cars and flown through a traffic light frame. Too funny.

Not to mention the skid mark his head left on the road.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:47 AM   #202
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I like how he stands up at the end and starts walking down the road like he didn't even notice that he had bounced off two cars and flown through a traffic light frame. Too funny.

They need an animation where he dusts his jacket or pants off when he gets up.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:48 AM   #203
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Here is an article comparing both versions:

http://kotaku.com/384422/which-versi...d-360-versions

Edit to add:

The game is estimated to have cost over 100 million dollars to make:

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/2978.html

From the article:

Frame Rate
The Grand Theft Auto series has never been synonymous with a rock solid frame rate, something it generally seems to get a pass for. While GTA IV is smoother in general than it's predecessors, it can expectedly suffer during chaos. The Xbox 360 version seemed capable of achieving a smoother frame rate, peaking higher in certain circumstances, such as in confined spaces or during light traffic, but both versions seemed to regularly run at a similar clip.

Rockstar and their crappy programming for the PS3. Damn them, damn them all to hell.

Essentially, the article says the two are almost equal. A few less pop ins on the PS3, higher frame rate in confined spaces on the 360.

From the reviews I've read on both, they seem to be equal to each other.

This makes the decision easy for me:

Controller - 360 is the best controller I've ever used.
Multiplayer - Going to be a hell of a lot more people in the US playing on LIVE than on the PS3 network.

With everything else being equal, the 360 it is.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:49 AM   #204
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
They need an animation where he dusts his jacket or pants off when he gets up.

Naw, that would be too realistic. In this case, he apparantly doesn't even realize he should be doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Not to mention the skid mark his head left on the road.

Yep, I couldn't tell if it was blood or just a mark. Either way, good stuff.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:52 AM   #205
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
From the article:

Frame Rate
The Grand Theft Auto series has never been synonymous with a rock solid frame rate, something it generally seems to get a pass for. While GTA IV is smoother in general than it's predecessors, it can expectedly suffer during chaos. The Xbox 360 version seemed capable of achieving a smoother frame rate, peaking higher in certain circumstances, such as in confined spaces or during light traffic, but both versions seemed to regularly run at a similar clip.

Rockstar and their crappy programming for the PS3. Damn them, damn them all to hell.

Essentially, the article says the two are almost equal. A few less pop ins on the PS3, higher frame rate in confined spaces on the 360.

From the reviews I've read on both, they seem to be equal to each other.

Multiplayer - Going to be a hell of a lot more people in the US playing on LIVE than on the PS3 network.

With the added benefit of this super-secret downloadable content. At the very least, I would view that as a tie-breaker of sorts. I wouldn't let it totally sway my opinion since we've heard nothing specific about it, but all things being equal, I want the version that is confirmed to be getting the new stuff.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:00 AM   #206
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Obviously, the statement concerning the online play and how many players will be online is inaccurate. The 360 is region locked, so you will only be able to play with North American players. The PS3 online play is not region locked, so the online player base available is much larger than you present in your statement. The game is expected to do extremely well in Europe and my experience in other online games has been that even European games generally have chat in English, so it's no different than playing with Americans. There will be plenty of online players on the PS3.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:02 AM   #207
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
w0rd.

Just went and pre-ordered at Gamestop. It's going to take every bone in my body to not call out of work tomorrow.

I've had to resist that urge as well, which I have successfully. I should get a few hours this evening though before AI thanks to sweet talking Mrs. E.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:04 AM   #208
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'm gonna pick mine up at 11ish and take the rest of the day off.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:07 AM   #209
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I'm gonna pick mine up at 11ish and take the rest of the day off.

If I didn't have the baby at home, I'd do that. No benefit in going home early. However, you can be sure that she'll be put in bed promptly at 8:00 PM (her bedtime) and I'll head directly in to start playing the game until the wee hours.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:08 AM   #210
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I've had to resist that urge as well, which I have successfully. I should get a few hours this evening though before AI thanks to sweet talking Mrs. E.

LOL......planning GTA4 time around American Idol??????
Old 04-29-2008, 08:09 AM   #211
Flasch186
Coordinator

I pick mine up at 1000....just after picking up the Water softener salt.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:11 AM   #212
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
LOL......planning GTA4 time around American Idol??????

She LOVES AI. I get a few hours of game time when I get home, IF I watch AI with her and do a few other assorted favors (we usually start it about 30 minutes after the start time so we can zip through the commercials.)

I'm at schools today (leaving in 5 minutes), and hoping my last few patients don't show, so I can leave early. Does that make me a bad person? :o

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-29-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:19 AM   #213
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
She LOVES AI. I get a few hours of game time when I get home, IF I watch AI with her and do a few other assorted favors (we usually start it about 30 minutes after the start time so we can zip through the commercials.)

I'm at schools today (leaving in 5 minutes), and hoping my last few patients don't show, so I can leave early. Does that make me a bad person? :o

Maybe you should buy them GTA IV .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:22 AM   #214
korme
Go Reds

Best Buy opens in 39 minutes, just counting down the time
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #215
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

We'll watch American Idol as well. Our 14 month old girl dances to the music on AI, so we have additional entertainment when the performances suck.

I called the office and cancelled your appointments. You're free to go now.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #216
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Obviously, the statement concerning the online play and how many players will be online is inaccurate. The 360 is region locked, so you will only be able to play with North American players. The PS3 online play is not region locked, so the online player base available is much larger than you present in your statement. The game is expected to do extremely well in Europe and my experience in other online games has been that even European games generally have chat in English, so it's no different than playing with Americans. There will be plenty of online players on the PS3.

I don't want to turn this into a 360 vs. PS3 debate. I gave the reasons why I'd purchase the 360 version.

Most of the A+ titles that have come out on both systems have the 360 version of the game with a huge lead. COD4 stands at something like 5.7 million to 2.9 million.

I don't see any reason to think that trend won't continue. But it doesn't matter. . . it's all preferance and opinion. It's pretty clear a majority of the gaming sites are saying the two games are the same, with minor advantages in certain areas over the other one. The controller alone makes the decision easy for me at that point.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:26 AM   #217
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Best Buy opens in 39 minutes, just counting down the time

Post when you get back. Just curious how big the numbers are as far as stock on hand. The Neogaf thread on availability is generally reporting that the PS3 version has been selling out (Rockstar didn't ship as many PS3 units in the U.S.) while the 360 version generally has ample supply to cover the demand.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #218
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I don't want to turn this into a 360 vs. PS3 debate. I gave the reasons why I'd purchase the 360 version.

Most of the A+ titles that have come out on both systems have the 360 version of the game with a huge lead. COD4 stands at something like 5.7 million to 2.9 million.

I don't see any reason to think that trend won't continue. But it doesn't matter. . . it's all preferance and opinion. It's pretty clear a majority of the gaming sites are saying the two games are the same, with minor advantages in certain areas over the other one. The controller alone makes the decision easy for me at that point.

Understood. Just wanted to clarify that both versions will have plenty of online players.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:29 AM   #219
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Post when you get back. Just curious how big the numbers are as far as stock on hand. The Neogaf thread on availability is generally reporting that the PS3 version has been selling out (Rockstar didn't ship as many PS3 units in the U.S.) while the 360 version generally has ample supply to cover the demand.

Shit, that is not good news - I'm a PS3 soldier
Old 04-29-2008, 08:33 AM   #220
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Shit, that is not good news - I'm a PS3 soldier

That was info from the midnight launches. I'm guessing that the stores that open today at a regular time should have ample stock through the afternoon. Evening might be a stretch. I'm going to make a lunch run to Circuit City just to avoid any issues.

As an example, someone posted that their local Best Buy had around 400 copies of the 360 version while they had between 250-300 copies of the PS3 version.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:45 AM   #221
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

So I just got back from picking mine up. And now I get to stare at the box and my free Target exclusive 360 skin. Nice simple skin, and it doesn't say Target on it so that is nice.

Hopefully I can play it by next week, but we will see how fast I get my 360 back, or even fixed at all.

I ended up getting the regular game, not the Special Edition like I had pre-ordered. The lady in charge didn't seem to care as the kid before me used his regular pre-order towards a Special Edition. The wife wanted to save the $30 bucks or whatever it was, and we never really meant to get the Special Edition anyways, it was an accident by her.

It pays not to be first as well. The first two guys got their 360 versions and walked off. I nicely asked the lady about using my Special Edition pre-order for the regular game, she asked me to hold on, walked off, and came back with a big stack of 360 versions and the skins. The guys before me didn't get their free skins. The guy after me and I did get it. Woohoo.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:49 AM   #222
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
If I didn't have the baby at home, I'd do that. No benefit in going home early. However, you can be sure that she'll be put in bed promptly at 8:00 PM (her bedtime) and I'll head directly in to start playing the game until the wee hours.

My exact situation I have at the home front... even though my baby is only 2.5 months old I still don't want to play this game while she's awake

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:57 AM   #223
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
My exact situation I have at the home front... even though my baby is only 2.5 months old I still don't want to play this game while she's awake

Mine just started walking. I sometimes take her up with me and play games for a few minutes. She has all the toys laid out on the floor. But she always ignores all of those toys and goes right over to the other wireless PS3 controller on the floor and starts pushing the buttons and flipping around the joysticks........just like Daddy.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:59 AM   #224
Icy
Pro Starter

First 2 hours played and i'm loving it, the storyline and characters are amazing (won't spoil anything). Btw, the dark city areas are sooo dark and hard to drive in them but it helps a lot to feel you're into those poor city neighborhoods and to notice a big change in lights when you drive in the better areas. The only problem i'm having is getting used to the camera specially on fights.

Last edited by Icy : 04-29-2008 at 09:02 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:12 AM   #225
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Mine just started walking. I sometimes take her up with me and play games for a few minutes. She has all the toys laid out on the floor. But she always ignores all of those toys and goes right over to the other wireless PS3 controller on the floor and starts pushing the buttons and flipping around the joysticks........just like Daddy.

Our 8 month old is enamored with any remote or gamepad.. especially the guitar controllers for GH.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #226
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

We had someone just get back from Target and report 360 sold out, plenty of PS3 copies on shelf.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:30 AM   #227
spleen1015
Coordinator

I just went across the street to Best Buy to get my copy of the 360 Special Edition.

Looking at the stacks behind the counter for preorders, both versions are selling.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:31 AM   #228
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
First 2 hours played and i'm loving it, the storyline and characters are amazing (won't spoil anything). Btw, the dark city areas are sooo dark and hard to drive in them but it helps a lot to feel you're into those poor city neighborhoods and to notice a big change in lights when you drive in the better areas. The only problem i'm having is getting used to the camera specially on fights.

Does the city feel pretty big to you? I am sitting here looking at the map from the game and it looks like it could be big, but maybe not much bigger then the first GTA III in Liberty City. I know the game world is helped by more buildings to go into, but just on the streets, does it seem pretty good size so far?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:33 AM   #229
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Does the city feel pretty big to you? I am sitting here looking at the map from the game and it looks like it could be big, but maybe not much bigger then the first GTA III in Liberty City. I know the game world is helped by more buildings to go into, but just on the streets, does it seem pretty good size so far?

I forgot what I read. I think it is about 3 times bigger than GTAIII.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #230
korme
Go Reds

There was 7 left on the shelf at the local BB PS3 wise.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:39 AM   #231
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
We had someone just get back from Target and report 360 sold out, plenty of PS3 copies on shelf.

Hopefully that's the case in my area. A friend of mine that works at Target locally said that he's not sure either version will last much past an hour. That doesn't bode well.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-29-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:59 AM   #232
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post

Feels so big, the initial area where you live is huge by itself and i just crossed the bridge to go to the strip club and a whole new area is here. Btw guys, get the private lap dance, is so really well done

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:04 AM   #233
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Feels so big, the initial area where you live is huge by itself and i just crossed the bridge to go to the strip club and a whole new area is here. Btw guys, get the private lap dance, is so really well done

[intercom] Icy, you have a call on line 5. It's a Mr. Jack Thompson. [/intercom]
Old 04-29-2008, 10:06 AM   #234
Kodos
Resident Alien

Rrrgh. My copy isn't supposed to come until Thursday...
Old 04-29-2008, 10:16 AM   #235
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Rrrgh. My copy isn't supposed to come until Thursday...

Where and Why do you guys buy these game online and not pre-order from gamestop or another store that takes pre-sale orders?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:17 AM   #236
Kodos
Resident Alien

I was just too lazy to go to Gamestop. I can wait. The harder wait right now is Def Leppard's album that came out today.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:37 AM   #237
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Ah, now it feels more like a GTA release day. Jack's lost his ability to file lawsuits, so he's demanding that developers and store owners be indicted with distribution of porn to minors............

http://gamepolitics.com/2008/04/29/j...d-be-indicted/
Old 04-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #238
Flasch186
Coordinator

thats actually not a bad tactic for him....might work depending on what is shown in game.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #239
Recoil
High School Varsity

Picked up a copy at Blockbuster this morning. They had boxes full of them.

So good.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:50 AM   #240
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Heading over to Circuit City right now. ***crosses fingers***
Old 04-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #241
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Just picked up my pre-order on lunch from Gamestop. Of course now I have to sit here another five hours till playing it. My Gamestop claimed they are selling 3:1 X-box 360 over PS3 but I find that hard to believe, even as a 360 fan.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:02 AM   #242
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
That was info from the midnight launches. I'm guessing that the stores that open today at a regular time should have ample stock through the afternoon. Evening might be a stretch. I'm going to make a lunch run to Circuit City just to avoid any issues.

As an example, [b]someone posted that their local Best Buy had around 400 copies of the 360 version while they had between 250-300 copies of the PS3 version.[b]

*cough*

The discrepancy at my store is actually greater than that.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:06 AM   #243
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Oh, forgot to add that I picked up Wiikart at the same time so it's going to be lots of driving on my tv for the next few weeks.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:08 AM   #244
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
Just picked up my pre-order on lunch from Gamestop. Of course now I have to sit here another five hours till playing it. My Gamestop claimed they are selling 3:1 X-box 360 over PS3 but I find that hard to believe, even as a 360 fan.

Why the US player base is much larger for 360 then PS3?
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:10 AM   #245
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
Why the US player base is much larger for 360 then PS3?

I didn't figure it was as high as a 3:1 ratio though. 2 to 1 I might be able to see but that salesman's comment was, "Three of every four we have sold is for the X-Box and frankly, we're expecting it to be even more skewed later." I expected it to be more like that COD4 numbers, 2 to 1 although maybe there is something to the DLC exclusive that is keeping people with the 360.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:15 AM   #246
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Went and picked it up at midnight at my local gamestop, just to throw these numbers out there, at midnight the PS3 line was 11 people long. I was number 47 in the 360 line. Of course this isn't a big city gamestop, but still the numbers really did shock me.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #247
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Nice, the size of the city will be very cool then.

Sounds like I will have to kick the daughter out of the room when it is time for a lap dance. lol
Old 04-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #248
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
*cough*

The discrepancy at my store is actually greater than that.

Same here, 3 to 1 last I checked. Luckily I reserved a PS3 version for myself.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:29 AM   #249
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Same here, 3 to 1 last I checked. Luckily I reserved a PS3 version for myself.

I have no idea which is going to outsell the other. I'm talking strictly about copies received!
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #250
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Well, the Target nearest me was 4-0 in favor of the 360. There were 4 of us total, and we were all getting the 360 version.

It may have changed some by now.