Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-27-2007, 10:21 PM   #201
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some really interesting worldwide sales numbers for the first three weeks in December (standard disclaimer applies for the North American sales numbers from VGChartz.com). Roughly speaking, the Wii has doubled the sales numbers of the 360, PS3 and PS2. Interestingly enough, the 360, PS3 and PS2 stand at a virtual dead heat throught the first three weeks. I'm not terribly surprised that the 360 and PS3 are close, but the fact that the PS2 is still going blow for blow with the 360 and PS3 surprises me quite a bit.

The final week of sales in December, which includes the last week of X-mas sales, should be available in a week or so. Below are the raw numbers............

Quote:
Worldwide Sales Totals through 3rd week of December

Wii: 2,884,000
PS3: 1,584,000
360: 1,576,000
PS2: 1,561,000

North America December Totals through December 22nd

Wii: 1,177,000
360: 995,000
PS2: 750,000
PS3: 588,000

NA Week ending December 22nd

Wii: 741K
360: 367K
PS2: 302K
PS3: 226K

NA Week ending December 15th

360: 331K
PS2: 254K
PS3: 192K
Wii: 174K

NA Week ending December 8th

360: 278K
Wii: 262K
PS2: 194K
PS3: 170K

Japan December Totals through December 23nd

Wii: 552,000
PS3: 154,000
PS2: 57,000
360: 27,000

Japan Week ending December 23nd

Wii: 269K
PS3: 55K
PS2: 23K
360: 9K

Japan Week ending December 16th

Wii: 170K
PS3: 60K
PS2: 20K

Japan Week ending December 9th

Wii: 113K
PS3: 39K
PS2: 14K

PAL December Totals through December 22nd

Wii: 1,155,000
PS3: 842,000
PS2: 754,000
360: 554,000

PAL Week ending December 22nd

Wii: 448K
PS3: 338K
PS2: 299K
360: 219K

PAL Week ending December 15th

Wii: 346K
PS3: 273K
PS2: 245K
360: 184K

PAL Week ending December 8th

Wii: 361K
PS3: 231K
PS2: 210K
360: 151K

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-27-2007 at 10:24 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:20 AM   #202
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Seriously, get over yourself. I own a Wii. Someone brought up how much the accessories cost and I mentioned how much it cost me. I didn't state anything inaccurate in the post.

Sure, you can play Wii Sports on your own, but the game (as well as most of the Wii games) is much better when you play with multiple players. Only a reclusive loner (insert a picture of your favorite reclusive serial killer) would think otherwise.

Get over myself? Merry Christmas to you too...

But anyways, my point stands. Read that post of yours again, slowly:

"Yeah, the extra nunchuks, Wiimotes, and component cable all add up. To get a family of 4 playing Wii Sports, you'll have to spend around $200 to get the extras. Makes the system more expensive, but the games like Wii Sports aren't any fun if you don't have everyone involved."

Is it technically, factually accurate? Sure, and of course I never denied that. Does it imply that to have fun with the system you need to spend $200? Yes. Do the undertones suggest that this makes it less of a value than it would normally seem? Yes. Does this also imply that, by omission, the other systems do not incur this 'necessary' expense and therefore are of better value? Yes.

I also love how you throw in the component cables, even though the post that lead to yours makes no mention of needing them, and they in now way tie in to enjoying Wii Sports. You just slip 'em in for fun, because you can.

See, this is the fun part of your little game. You can look at your paragraphs and sentances and state "I only tell the truth", but you also leave out other important truths, or choose words and sentance structure that adds meaning beneath the overt statements (especially when taken in conjunction with previous statements made in the past). It's like you are some kind of modern-day, video-game system obsessed Shakespeare.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:14 AM   #203
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Get over myself? Merry Christmas to you too...

"Yeah, the extra nunchuks, Wiimotes, and component cable all add up. To get a family of 4 playing Wii Sports, you'll have to spend around $200 to get the extras. Makes the system more expensive, but the games like Wii Sports aren't any fun if you don't have everyone involved."

Is it technically, factually accurate? Sure, and of course I never denied that. Does it imply that to have fun with the system you need to spend $200? Yes. Do the undertones suggest that this makes it less of a value than it would normally seem? Yes. Does this also imply that, by omission, the other systems do not incur this 'necessary' expense and therefore are of better value? Yes.

I also love how you throw in the component cables, even though the post that lead to yours makes no mention of needing them, and they in now way tie in to enjoying Wii Sports. You just slip 'em in for fun, because you can.

See, this is the fun part of your little game. You can look at your paragraphs and sentances and state "I only tell the truth", but you also leave out other important truths, or choose words and sentance structure that adds meaning beneath the overt statements (especially when taken in conjunction with previous statements made in the past). It's like you are some kind of modern-day, video-game system obsessed Shakespeare.

You have far too much time on your hands. Spend more time on your Wii and less time thinking about what you think I'm saying. You'll be better off in the long run. You'll thank me later.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:56 AM   #204
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
You have far too much time on your hands. Spend more time on your Wii and less time thinking about what you think I'm saying. You'll be better off in the long run. You'll thank me later.

You are a funny, warped man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:23 AM   #205
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
You are a funny, warped man.

I 'heart' Wii.

(waits for Fidelio's translation of that comment)
Old 12-28-2007, 08:28 PM   #206
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

I hate the way Mizzouh B-Ball Fan argues his points, and have railed on him regularly. And I agree he spins even this a bit more negatively. However, as the person who started this particular thread-of-discussion, let me clarify a bit and back up his point some.

We just set up our Wii for Christmas and started playing. We bought a $400 bundle ripoff at BJs which included an extra WiiMote and Nunchuk. I've only played one game so far that takes advantage of the Nunchuk (MLB Power Pros), so I'm not sure how important the extra Nunchuk will be. But we got the extra controller.

Yesterday I spent $90 at GameStop on a Nyko dual-charger, which came with 2 batteries + 2 rubber-grip covers, and an extra battery and cover, which was necessary for the third WiiMote I also bought. This was thanks to my almost-5-year-old getting into the baseball and bowling games, so now the three of us can play together. That third WiiMote came with one of the jackets, and now we may have to get two more of them after I rapped my wife's knuckles swinging for one of her backhand return volleys. I'm sure we'll be buying the fourth WiiMote in a year or two when the 2-1/2 year old discovers the Wii, or maybe sooner for when my brother and sister-in-law visit and want to get in on the action.

Playing baseball with my daughter this morning, I was struck by a sudden desire to duct-tape a WiiMote to one of their bats to take a better swing at the ball. Or I'll end up getting two of those SportsPack things, since my wife and I play tennis a lot and I can't get just one racket.

And of course I'm a wired guy, so if I want system updates I need the wired ethernet adapter, if I can ever find one again. Plus my daughter has been eyeing a bunch of GameCube games over the last 3 months, so now I need some GameCube controllers. And if I had the input available, I'd buy the component cables for the extra resolution. I need it to help me judge the speed of that incoming pitch...

What's the point of this narration? I primarily have 3:
  1. It is a myth that the Wii is cheaper than the 360 (specifically the 360, as the PS3 is still a bit higher). They are pretty close in price if you want to play 2-player, but the Wii encourages more than 2-player play, and the motion controller just begs for a variety of attachments to make it easier to use in various scenarios. And the base controller is NOT universal: you need something else to play GameCube games, and another something else to play Virtual Console games, unless you are lucky enough to track down one of the third-party options that will do both. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but I believe that times have changed and am just trying to point out the misconception that still seems to be floating around. As always on FOFC, we look out for each other.
  2. Nintendo is a genius at marketing. I guess we all figured this out by now, but they are lined up to sell far more accessories than any of the other systems. I might buy a racing wheel for my 360 (maybe, even reduced to $100 I'm not sure I'd get that much out of it), but I'm set with 2 controllers, battery packs, and a charger. Nintendo will make a killing on extra hardware, in addition to the games. I need to buy some of this stock fast...
  3. This system is addicting as all get-out. It's worth every penny I'm sinking into it. I'll continue to back the "it is most certainly a next-gen system" to the hilt. It has plenty of power for the games it wants to sell, and the motion controller is changing the way people play. I made the mistake of setting up a 9-inning WiiMote game on MLB Power Pros, and my shoulder and elbow were KILLING me by the time I was done. And it's the first time I worked up a sweat playing a game. And I wanted to play more. My wife and I love the tennis game. My daughter loves the bowling. None of the talk of finances above in any way detracts from the value of the console.
Just sayin' that I think the 360 (with the recent Microsoft bundles) and the Wii are in the same ballpark on price to play the systems the way they were meant to be played. PS3 is still a bit more, although you get the Blu-Ray player. And the Wii is a fantastic system that lives up to the hype.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:55 PM   #207
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Microsoft dropped the ball the last couple weeks with Xbox live, for a pay service there shouldn't be as many down periods as there have been. Especially since they had to know this was gonna be such a busy period. I wasn't able to recover my gamer tag yesterday at all (which made it pointless to try to play anything), everytime it'd let me half way through the process then tell me it was unavailable. Eventually got thru when I was up this morning.

And speaking of which, is there another way of going about using your live profile on another console (in the same house)? Have two 360's here and everytime we play certain games online (Rock band, bomberman ect) we'll play on one console but then we'll have to recover the gamertag to play on live together, then recover it again to get it back on the other system - it's a tedious process when you're only playing for say half an hour, or an hour.

Last edited by Deattribution : 12-29-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:46 PM   #208
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

The 360 rocks in Japan so much they can't handle it.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:53 PM   #209
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
And speaking of which, is there another way of going about using your live profile on another console (in the same house)? Have two 360's here and everytime we play certain games online (Rock band, bomberman ect) we'll play on one console but then we'll have to recover the gamertag to play on live together, then recover it again to get it back on the other system - it's a tedious process when you're only playing for say half an hour, or an hour.

You can save a profile to a memory card.

Any reason you aren't playing these games online using both consoles?
Old 12-29-2007, 03:09 PM   #210
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
And the base controller is NOT universal: you need something else to play GameCube games, and another something else to play Virtual Console games, unless you are lucky enough to track down one of the third-party options that will do both.

Or you could, you know, use your GameCube controller to play both your GameCube games *and* your Virtual Console games.

It's a breathtakingly daring idea, I know.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:20 PM   #211
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I just thought of how between my sister, my brother, and myself, we bought our kids 3 DS's and 1 Wii this year for Christmas. Nintendo is kid powered up the wazoo in this family at least.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:28 PM   #212
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I just got the RROD on my 360 and started to freak.... then I realized my VGA connector wasn't plugged in all the way.... whew!

I have it connected VGA in my office to my monitor and the have an additional power supply and hooked up via component cables in the living room for GH and Rock Band playing. It's so nice to just unplug the connectors and move only the box between the 2 rooms.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:40 PM   #213
spleen1015
Coordinator

Super Mario Galaxy has won Gamespot's Game of the Year, beating out God of War 2, Rock Band, Halo 3, Bioshock, CoD4, Crysis, Forza 2, The Orange Box, and World in Conflict.

Not bad for a game that plays on a gimmick system.

6 of the 10 nominations are 360 games. At least Sony managed to get a PS2 game on the list.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:43 PM   #214
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

This has been a great year for games...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:04 PM   #215
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
You can save a profile to a memory card.

Any reason you aren't playing these games online using both consoles?

For Rock Band it'd require us to buy another copy of the game to play on both consoles, plus half the fun is playing with someone in the same room. It's also easier keeping all that stuff in the other room.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:39 PM   #216
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Super Mario Galaxy has won Gamespot's Game of the Year, beating out God of War 2, Rock Band, Halo 3, Bioshock, CoD4, Crysis, Forza 2, The Orange Box, and World in Conflict.

Not bad for a game that plays on a gimmick system.

6 of the 10 nominations are 360 games. At least Sony managed to get a PS2 game on the list.

I haven't played SMG, but better than Rock Band? I doubt that.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:26 PM   #217
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I just got the RROD on my 360 and started to freak.... then I realized my VGA connector wasn't plugged in all the way.... whew!

I have it connected VGA in my office to my monitor and the have an additional power supply and hooked up via component cables in the living room for GH and Rock Band playing. It's so nice to just unplug the connectors and move only the box between the 2 rooms.

Too bad you can't just snake a 50'-75' length of component tinto the other room. Wouldn't even have to move the box then!
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:26 PM   #218
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
This has been a great year for games...

Yeah for sure.

2008 has the potential to be pretty good as well. GTA4, MSG4, LittleBigPlanet, Mario Kart Wii, and Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, and Spore are the ones I'm looking forward to most, there's plenty of other big games coming as well.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:39 PM   #219
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
I haven't played SMG, but better than Rock Band? I doubt that.

Haven't played rock band even though i want to badly... have played guitar hero and karaoke revolution though so I think I have a pretty good idea what rock band is like. I have played through Super Mario Galaxy though and can say that I had more fun with it than any other single player console game I've ever played in my life.

Last edited by Daimyo : 12-29-2007 at 05:41 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:44 PM   #220
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

When will Leisure Suit Larry come to a console? Maybe the Police Quest/Space Quest games?
Old 12-29-2007, 08:27 PM   #221
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
When will Leisure Suit Larry come to a console? Maybe the Police Quest/Space Quest games?

Already been done.

hxxp://www.gamespot.com/xbox/adventure/leisuresuitlarrymcl/index.html?tag=result;title;9
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:30 PM   #222
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Already been done.

hxxp://www.gamespot.com/xbox/adventure/leisuresuitlarrymcl/index.html?tag=result;title;9

Ah, I never had the original XBox so I guess that is why I missed it. I am guessing it won game of the year that year right?

They need a Wii one. Wiisterbation would finally destroy the 360 and PS3.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:52 AM   #223
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Or you could, you know, use your GameCube controller to play both your GameCube games *and* your Virtual Console games.

It's a breathtakingly daring idea, I know.

Did not know you could do that. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2007, 08:40 AM   #224
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
I 'heart' Wii.

You are funny. Seriously.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:28 AM   #225
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Too bad you can't just snake a 50'-75' length of component tinto the other room. Wouldn't even have to move the box then!

OOoohhh.. now you have me thinking.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:31 AM   #226
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
Haven't played rock band even though i want to badly... have played guitar hero and karaoke revolution though so I think I have a pretty good idea what rock band is like. I have played through Super Mario Galaxy though and can say that I had more fun with it than any other single player console game I've ever played in my life.

I really don't think you have a good idea what Rock Bank is about. The drums are what it's all about.. and a guitar which is better than any GH guitar ever created. Match that with another guitar and the microphone and you have a masterpiece of gaming the WHOLE FAMILY can enjoy.

When I can play a game for hours with my wife, 11 year old and 5 year old daughter for hours, I'd say it's my game of the year.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:01 AM   #227
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Yeah for sure.

2008 has the potential to be pretty good as well. GTA4, MSG4, LittleBigPlanet, Mario Kart Wii, and Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, and Spore are the ones I'm looking forward to most, there's plenty of other big games coming as well.

You left off Duke Nuke'em Forever. I have had that on my "looking forward to" list since 1998.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:16 AM   #228
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
When I can play a game for hours with my wife, 11 year old and 5 year old daughter for hours, I'd say it's my game of the year.

You just described Wii Sports
Old 12-30-2007, 12:33 PM   #229
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Just sayin' that I think the 360 (with the recent Microsoft bundles) and the Wii are in the same ballpark on price to play the systems the way they were meant to be played.

Since 360/PS3 are 'meant to be played' in HD, doesn't that mean for many, many consumers they would have to throw the cost of an HD television in to the mix of accessories? I know there have been some good sales on over the holiday period, but methinks that cost might add up to a bit more than a couple Wiimotes...
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 12-30-2007, 12:34 PM   #230
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
I 'heart' Wii.

Slag off, Wii-basher!!
Old 12-30-2007, 12:58 PM   #231
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Since 360/PS3 are 'meant to be played' in HD, doesn't that mean for many, many consumers they would have to throw the cost of an HD television in to the mix of accessories? I know there have been some good sales on over the holiday period, but methinks that cost might add up to a bit more than a couple Wiimotes...

That makes as much sense as the comments earlier claiming you have to buy a bunch of extra wiimotes to have fun with the wii.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:00 AM   #232
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
That makes as much sense as the comments earlier claiming you have to buy a bunch of extra wiimotes to have fun with the wii.

Exactly.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:10 AM   #233
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I made the mistake of setting up a 9-inning WiiMote game on MLB Power Pros, and my shoulder and elbow were KILLING me by the time I was done. And it's the first time I worked up a sweat playing a game.

pics plz k thx
Old 12-31-2007, 09:14 AM   #234
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Xbox 360 head of marketing states that lack of third-party sales on Wii make current sales numbers unsustainable.............

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=154048

Quote:
Xbox head of marketing, Jeff Bell, says Wii success wont last since third-party developers have yet to show they can make any money on Nintendo consoles.

"Clearly, we have a competitor where they win and no one else wins," Bell told Reuters in reference to the overwhelming popularity of first-party games on Nintendo platforms. "That is not sustainable, it's never been sustainable," he said.

Third-party publishers have struggled in past years to compete with Nintendo-made games given their critically acclaimed quality and loyal following.

Nintendo says times have changed.

Earlier this week, Nintendo president Reggie Fils-Aime told Reuters that 60 percent of Wii game sales came from outside publishers in November.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:38 AM   #235
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Opening of Devil May Cry 4 is now available for viewing. Pretty sick stuff.........

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/29/de...ematic-indeed/
Old 12-31-2007, 09:45 AM   #236
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Opening of Devil May Cry 4 is now available for viewing. Pretty sick stuff.........

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/29/de...ematic-indeed/

Nero looked drunk at the end in the theater.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:19 AM   #237
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Xbox 360 head of marketing states that lack of third-party sales on Wii make current sales numbers unsustainable.............

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=154048

That's not the way I read that.

Edit: To clarify, that's not the way I interpret his actual comment.

Last edited by Bee : 12-31-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:30 AM   #238
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
That's not the way I read that.

Edit: To clarify, that's not the way I interpret his actual comment.

I'm not sure it matters exactly how it's interpreted. It was a backhanded compliment at best. Whether it's accurate or not is certainly up for discussion.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:35 AM   #239
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

Sigh. Fine, whatever. Maybe I need to put a poll up: how much have you spent on accessories for your Wii beyond the initial $250 outlay for the console?

Last edited by gstelmack : 12-31-2007 at 10:36 AM.
gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:35 AM   #240
wade moore
lolzcat

Yeah, I read it as "The success of first-party games" is not sustainable rather than it having any impact on hardware sales.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 12-31-2007, 10:44 AM   #241
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

What utter bullshit from Jeff Bell there

I mean yeah he's an XBox PR guy but still, many third-party games have done and are doing well on the Wii. Both Resident Evil games, Lego Star Wars, Guitar Hero III (despite supply constraints), Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games (published by Sega in North America and Europe), Tiger Woods, plus various launch titles.

Zack and Wiki is the only high quality third party game that has bombed, which is unsurprising if you've played it. First of all, it had no advertising and it is very much a niche title, being an old-school puzzle/adventure game with a "kiddy" presentation that's too difficult for children to play.

Despite the present figures being pretty decent, I want to see how third-party Wii games sell when they are given the effort and polish (while still being cheaper to produce due to Wii's SD graphics) put into other systems' third-party games (like Gears of War or Bioshock) and Nintendo's own offerings (Galaxy, Metroid, Zelda, etc.)

If that never happens, whether it's due to publishers being afraid of competing against Nintendo's own games or developers preferring to work with the HD consoles, then I don't want to read any rubbish about how "awww third parties just can't compete against big, bad Nintendo ," especially when it's dubious even now.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:59 AM   #242
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Sigh. Fine, whatever. Maybe I need to put a poll up: how much have you spent on accessories for your Wii beyond the initial $250 outlay for the console?

My situation:

Extra Wiimote + Nunchuck = $60

Wavebird wireless GameCube controller = $35 (not technically needed, but allows for a third player on some Virtual Console games like Bomberman, will be used in Smash, plus I bought some GameCube games early in the year when Wii had a bit of a software drought)

Gamecube memory card = $20

An assload of batteries (I heard some bad things about those Nyko chargers bricking Wiimotes, no idea how often that happens or if it's even true) = $ ???

Also, Virtual Console games add up = $82 for nine games, purely optional of course

This happens with other consoles as well now of course.

PS3 and 360 controllers are $50, cheaper or more expensive depending on if you need a Wiimote.

You have to buy an HDMI cable for the PS3 since it only comes with composite, not much point buying a $400-500 HD console to play on composite cables, couldn't tell you if that applies for the 360 or not.

People who buy an extra PS3 controller now are wasting money and many will end up getting a rumble controller early in 2008 when they come out here. Too expensive to import with the exchange rate imo.

360 wireless adapter is $90-100 which is crazy, the $50 per year for online play adds up after a few years even if $4 p/m doesn't sound bad on paper.

It's arguable that the Wii nickel and dimes you more than the others but it's not that big a difference. Gaming is expensive no matter how you slice it unless you only play handhelds.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:18 AM   #243
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
360 wireless adapter is $90-100 which is crazy, the $50 per year for online play adds up after a few years even if $4 p/m doesn't sound bad on paper.

I agree, the price is crazy. If it was $50 I would have bought one a long time ago. As it is I refuse to pay that much for it, and because of that I have not ever been on XBox Live and they miss out on more money from me there too I guess.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:40 PM   #244
TroyF
Coordinator

I think the 360 execs comments were geared toward software and I think he's probably right. While the Wii will continue to dominate in console sales, I'm still not convinced there is a huge market for non first party Nintendo titles. I'm interested to see how that plays out long term.

Of course, the console getting it's ass kicked there now is the PS3. Under 1 million software sales in a week where the Wii and the 360 were at 3 million. 500k software sales for the PSP when the DS had close to 2.5 million.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:44 PM   #245
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I think the 360 execs comments were geared toward software and I think he's probably right. While the Wii will continue to dominate in console sales, I'm still not convinced there is a huge market for non first party Nintendo titles. I'm interested to see how that plays out long term.

Of course, the console getting it's ass kicked there now is the PS3. Under 1 million software sales in a week where the Wii and the 360 were at 3 million. 500k software sales for the PSP when the DS had close to 2.5 million.

Part of the problem is that some of the best third-party games on Wii also haven't gotten any marketing support. It's like some of the third-parties expect things to be like they were in the NES days, where all you had to do was release it and wait for the money to roll in.

It's going to be damned hard, yeah, for 'Zack & Wiki' to compete for sales against "Super Mario Galaxy," but it's going to be even harder if you don't spend any money advertising it.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:01 PM   #246
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

That sucks that Zack and Wiki bombed, I just got it for my birthday a couple days ago and it is super fun
Old 01-01-2008, 02:50 AM   #247
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
That sucks that Zack and Wiki bombed, I just got it for my birthday a couple days ago and it is super fun

Yeah, only 35k over October and November apparently. Capcom had trouble getting retailers to even carry this game from what I've read. On the bright side, the game is being published by Nintendo in Europe, maybe they will actually try to advertise it. Also, interweb rumors suggest Capcom is already planning a Zack and Wiki 2 despite the low sales.

I do agree, it is a very fun game.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #248
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Quote:

Haha, you are like Missou BBall fan in reverse.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:31 AM   #249
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned all week. There's been a pretty heavy backlash against Microsoft over the past week concerning the Xbox Live outage. The outage had lasted over a week as of the writing of this column. Really surprised that Microsoft would let this happen on one of the most crucial weeks of the year in regards to use of the service. The worst part is that many people haven't been able to play any downloaded games due to the stipulation that users must log in to Live to play those games (copy protection).

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/12...-compensation/
Old 01-02-2008, 07:41 AM   #250
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned all week. There's been a pretty heavy backlash against Microsoft over the past week concerning the Xbox Live outage. The outage had lasted over a week as of the writing of this column. Really surprised that Microsoft would let this happen on one of the most crucial weeks of the year in regards to use of the service. The worst part is that many people haven't been able to play any downloaded games due to the stipulation that users must log in to Live to play those games (copy protection).

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/12...-compensation/
I definitely mentioned in both the NBA 2k thread and the Gamertag thread that I couldn't even got on to sign-up for my account. Fortuanetely for me I must have been at the tail end as I couldn't get in one night, but the next day everything was peachy.

If it would have gone on for several days for me I would have been pretty pissed.

Quote: