Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-01-2007, 10:26 PM   #201
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
No they don't, that's just silly. Pick one of the top 10 teams and most of any of their losses would be greater than all of Hawaii's wins. You got to play someone in order to be taken seriously.

That's true. Hawaii should've scheduled someone like Michigan.

Oh wait....
Old 12-01-2007, 10:27 PM   #202
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

My 3 thoughts -

1) Wannstadt graduated from the same HS as me...15 years earlier. I am pretty sure his parents still live here (Baldwin for anyone curious, about 7 miles outside of city)

2) I have no real connection to Pitt, other than my wife works for a University hospital. But I do have 2 annoying douches at work who are WVU grads, who hopefully will shut up now

3) I posted this is last weeks thread as well. I really am not a college football fan. I like football, and watch for that, as well as seeing which guys will be prop prospects. But I have no rooting interest. COLLEGE FOOTBALL IZ STOOPID!1!1!1! Ohio State hasn't played for what, 3 weeks now? But they are pretty much the only guarantee we have at this point to be in the Championship game. How? Because the other 2 teams were bad? Georgia is ranked 4th, higher than either team playing in it's conference title game. Doesn't that tell you the voters are fucking clueless? Kansas, same as OSU, hasn't played for 2 weeks...and lost last time! Fuck, put Hawaii in....
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:27 PM   #203
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
it's just not fun, it's not interesting and the entire sport is predicated upon arguing about who's better.

Hey, did you happen to see where CNN & FNC are looking to bid on the BCS title game when the current TV contract runs out?

In all seriousness though, that's what makes tonight so interesting. Put today into one of the silly playoff scenarios that's been proposed and I can't imagine I'd even bother watching the rest of the day once Tennessee's game ended.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:28 PM   #204
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I would love to see the Harris Poll vote Hawaii #1 if they beat Washington.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:28 PM   #205
henry296
College Starter

The key for LSU is the coaches poll. Last week Georgia was 4th and LSU 7th. Reducing that deficit will be important to getting the #2 spot.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #206
Jas_lov
College Starter

Ohio State and LSU will play in the title game.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #207
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I would love to see the Harris Poll vote Hawaii #1 if they beat Washington.

The voters would be taken out & summarily executed.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #208
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Hey, did you happen to see where CNN & FNC are looking to bid on the BCS title game when the current TV contract runs out?

In all seriousness though, that's what makes tonight so interesting. Put today into one of the silly playoff scenarios that's been proposed and I can't imagine I'd even bother watching the rest of the day once Tennessee's game ended.

Yeah, same here. What the hell do those playoffs proponents think has been happening the last 3 weeks??? I would say most of the games have been playoffs and they would propose to do it all over again??? That's stupid and redundant.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:31 PM   #209
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
VaTech got pasted by LSU.
Yep...due to that, I don't think we deserve to be there over LSU...but at the same time, at least VT didn't lose to an unranked team like some of the others in the conversation did. Our losses were to two teams who were ranked #2 at the time (and both ranked in the top 11 as of this morning)

Either way, I'm giddy. The way I see it, the WVU loss sets us up with a game against them in the Orange Bowl. Playing them in a BCS bowl would be the game of the decade for VT fans.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:32 PM   #210
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
The key for LSU is the coaches poll. Last week Georgia was 4th and LSU 7th. Reducing that deficit will be important to getting the #2 spot.

So who do the other SEC coaches like more? Les Miles or Mark Richt.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:33 PM   #211
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Please tell me that it will Illinois in the Rose and not Michigan. Please?
Old 12-01-2007, 10:33 PM   #212
RedKingGold
College Starter

I don't know, but you guys have to realize that the way this season has gone down makes it a good argument AGAINST the playoff system.

Proponents of the BCS can now point to this season as proof that every single team in the top ten had a chance to make it to the championship game. They'll say that this was the most exciting college season ever w/o a playoff. They'll say that if every team plays from start to finish in a season, that they'll be rewarded.

If you really want a playoff, hope for 3 11-0 teams; not 12 10-2 teams.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 12-01-2007 at 10:34 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:34 PM   #213
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
I think you meant paid by WVU but I'd have to agree. Especially the holding call on that 3rd down conversion then the lack of a pass interference or defensive holding call on the next play.

I did...thanks.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:34 PM   #214
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The three components are:

Harris Poll - 114 panelists that includes former coaches, players,
administrators and current and former media randomly chosen from over 300 nominatons

USA Today Coaches Poll - 60 current Football Bowl Subdivision coaches

Computer Polls - Comprised of 6 computer rankings, with the high and low for each team thrown out: Peter Wolfe, Wes Colley, Sagarin, Seattle Times, Richard Billingsley, Kenneth Massey

These are what will determine the two teams that play for the BCS Championship.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:34 PM   #215
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
Yep...due to that, I don't think we deserve to be there over LSU...but at the same time, at least VT didn't lose to an unranked team like some of the others in the conversation did. Our losses were to two teams who were ranked #2 at the time (and both ranked in the top 11 as of this morning)

Either way, I'm giddy. The way I see it, the WVU loss sets us up with a game against them in the Orange Bowl. Playing them in a BCS bowl would be the game of the decade for VT fans.

The way this has kind of evolved is, fans hope their team gets to a BCS bowl - not necessarily getting bent out of shape if the team doesn't play in the "championship" game.

I think that's a very healthy attitude, and I think it counts as a positive in the BCS system.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:34 PM   #216
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

Why is that? I didn't realize there were any rivalry between them, at least in a while.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:34 PM   #217
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

It'll be Georgia.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:34 PM   #218
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
It'll be whoever the Rose Bowl selects from the pool of at-large teams (Big 10 or not).
Old 12-01-2007, 10:35 PM   #219
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

I think to be eligible for a BCS game, you have to be ranked in the Top 18 of the BCS (which Michigan will not)
Old 12-01-2007, 10:35 PM   #220
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don't think the Big Ten gets anyone in the BCS but Ohio State.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:35 PM   #221
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I bet there are a lot of phone calls, money exchanging and arm-twisting going on right now.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:36 PM   #222
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I don't think the Big Ten gets anyone in the BCS but Ohio State.

Unless, of course, Hawaii does indeed lose tonight. In that case, I figure Illinois goes from the bubble to a lock.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:36 PM   #223
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
It'll be whoever the Rose Bowl selects from the pool of at-large teams (Big 10 or not).

Sigh. Nothing wrong with a Pac10 vs Big10 matchup.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:37 PM   #224
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

I get what you're saying..but I dunno.

I think that if we had an 8-team playoff, things would still be as compelling. Especially if the playoffs began in two weeks and teams were say, preparing for the playoffs, versus the Kraft Norwegian Chocolate (tm) Bowl presented by GoDaddy.

You can still let "unworthy" teams go to the bowls, but...I can't imagine that eight coaches would turn down a shot to play for all of the marbles, versus ending the season as the "champion" of a meaningless exhibition.

Especially in a year like this one, where there is no clear-cut #1, a playoff would provide the right amount of buildup for what's been a zany season.

But maybe I'm wrong and hearing Bob Davey on ESPN2 talk about how the Fiesta Bowl selections will come down to which team's fans will spend more money...is the sort of must-see TV that I love to wash down a great college football season with.

So the bottom line is, just because I get it and understand the reasons for why there is no real compelling reason to change the way the system works, it doesn't make any less vociferous about the idea that a different season would be better.

And given that before the BCS, people said we'd never get anything quite like it....I do hold out hope that eventually, there will be some semblance of a playoff. It won't be NCAA sanctioned, nor should it be, but it'll be something different than what we see now, grafted onto the current system.

Things always change and I don't doubt this eventually will either. It just probably won't be anytime soon and there will need to be someone who steps up to the plate as a visionary -- and with the sort of dollars to get folks to listen -- before it'll change.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:37 PM   #225
st.cronin
General Manager

Does BYU (10-2) have a chance to get to a BCS bowl?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:37 PM   #226
RedKingGold
College Starter

Damn, but if Illinois does get a BCS bid, that likely puts Wisconsin in Capital One, and Michigan in Outback.

I doubt Penn State would've snuck into the Outback (considering they were there last year), but perhaps they jumped the gun for going to the Alamo Bowl.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:38 PM   #227
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

It would not be Michigan. Illinois would go IF the Rose Bowl chooses to be traditional. They do have the option of choosing one an at-large team such as Georgia. That is if Georgia is not in the title game.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:38 PM   #228
BishopMVP
Coordinator

The whole conference champion argument is silly. If UCLA had won today they wouldn't be more deserving of playing in the national title game than Kansas or Georgia. Especially when factors other than head-to-head play decide who the champion is (which is not the case for those two this year.)

Also, Mike Stoops (Arizona) just made a ridiculous decision. Goes for it on 4th and goal down 10 points with 2 minutes left. You need 2 scores buddy. They do have the ball down to the 11 now, still down 10, 53 sec left.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:38 PM   #229
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
I think to be eligible for a BCS game, you have to be ranked in the Top 18 of the BCS (which Michigan will not)

top 14
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:39 PM   #230
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just in case anybody needs/wants a refresher
http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/eligibility
Old 12-01-2007, 10:39 PM   #231
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
top 14

No, they changed it two weeks ago because no more than 2 teams from a conference can go to a BCS game. So they expanded to 18 retroactively to ensure they'd have enough teams.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefoo...story/10486038

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-01-2007 at 10:41 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:41 PM   #232
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold

We've now had both. 2004 with the 3 undefeated teams (Auburn, USC, Oklahoma), and this season with the current clusterfuck. Meanwhile, I-AA (excuse me, Football Playoff Subdivision) happily continues their 16 team playoff schedule with no scheduling or logistical issues.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:42 PM   #233
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Just in case anybody needs/wants a refresher
http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/eligibility

Coming to a theater near you, in two more seasons...
Quote:
Conference Automatic Qualification in Future

The conferences have developed athematical standards of performance which be applied to determine the number of conferences whose champions will automatically qualify for a BCS game after the 2008 and 2009 regular seasons. The champions of no fewer than five conferences and no more than seven conferences will have annual automatic berths.

The standards will be based on results from the 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 regular seasons, using institutions that are members of the conferences during the 2007 season.

The data will include the following for each conference (1) the ranking of the highest-ranked team in the final BCS standings each year, (2) the final regular-season rankings of all conference teams in the computer rankings used by the BCS each year and (3) the number of teams in the top 25 of the final BCS standings each year.

The standards will not prohibit the champion of any conference that has contracted with a bowl from playing in one of the participating BCS bowls. For example, the Big Ten and Pac-10 champions will, by contract, play in the Rose Bowl every year unless one or both qualifies for the National Championship Game.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:42 PM   #234
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Arizona gets their TD... with 26 seconds left. 20-17 ASU.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:42 PM   #235
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I mentioned redundancy about a playoffs. I suppose there could have been a chance that, in a playoffs, OU and MO would play for the 3rd time. Certainly there would be a number of two-timers. Regular bowl matchups would give us all unique matchups, something different for the fans, despite that there are WAY too many bowl games and too many mediocre teams playing.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:42 PM   #236
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

LSU vs. Ohio St. NC game.

Buckeyes will choke, when Georgia wins this years NC game.

Last edited by tucker rocky : 12-01-2007 at 10:52 PM.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:43 PM   #237
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
I don't know, but you guys have to realize that the way this season has gone down makes it a good argument AGAINST the playoff system.

Proponents of the BCS can now point to this season as proof that every single team in the top ten had a chance to make it to the championship game. They'll say that this was the most exciting college season ever w/o a playoff. They'll say that if every team plays from start to finish in a season, that they'll be rewarded.

I thought the BCS was only supposed to guarantee that the #1 plays the #2? That will happen. But how the hell are those 2 teams determined? You can make a case, using your example, for about 12 teams.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:44 PM   #238
BishopMVP
Coordinator

And ESPN misses the fucking onside kick attempt during commercial. ASU recovered, kneeling down for the win.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:44 PM   #239
amdaily
College Prospect

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
Buckeyes will croak, when Georgia wins this years NC game.

Buckeyes > SEC is finally put to rest this year.
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:45 PM   #240
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
We've now had both. 2004 with the 3 undefeated teams (Auburn, USC, Oklahoma), and this season with the current clusterfuck. Meanwhile, I-AA (excuse me, Football Playoff Subdivision) happily continues their 16 team playoff schedule with no scheduling or logistical issues.

Oh, I'm definitely in the "for-a-playoff" group. It's nonsensical that literally every other NCAA sport (whether Division, I, II, or III) has an end-season tournament to defend its championship. There's definitely a lot more arguments for a tournament than the system we have now, but it's just my argument that this kind of season actually "helps" the BCS supporters b/c they can simply say that it is settled on the field (b/c each team at the top had at least a chance to make it).

Now, the 3 13-0 teams is a much worse argument for the BCS as there is no way to say that it is settled on the field when three teams from major conferences make it through the college season unscathed.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:45 PM   #241
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

Do they have conference championship games?
Old 12-01-2007, 10:47 PM   #242
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Do they have conference championship games?

I know at least the SWAC has a conference championship game.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:48 PM   #243
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I know at least the SWAC has a conference championship game.

And they don't participate in the 1-AA playoffs.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:48 PM   #244
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You can still let "unworthy" teams go to the bowls, but...I can't imagine that eight coaches would turn down a shot to play for all of the marbles, versus ending the season as the "champion" of a meaningless exhibition.

Hell DC, I doubt you could find 8 coaches in the current top 25 (just picking a number) that would favor an 8 team system.

Just heard Mark Richt talking earlier this week -- a coach who would certainly have seemed likely to benefit from such a system at that point -- saying he couldn't really support anything more than a +1 format if that,and that to be honest he thought the current system was just fine.

Like a number of coaches I've heard in the past, he strongly believes that making the season any longer simply isn't feasible for the players at this level.

And I think there's a lot of reality in that point of view. I mean I spent the afternoon watching LSU playing a backup QB versus Tennessee with only one regular RB healthy enough to play.

Roll the regular season back to 10 games, eliminate the conference title games,and then maybe you eliminate that argument ... but if you do the math then you know they aren't going to eliminate over 100 regular season games + conference championships in order to add a playoff for 8 teams.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:49 PM   #245
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Why is that? I didn't realize there were any rivalry between them, at least in a while.
While VT/UVA and WVU/Pitt are the traditional rivals for the two schools, VT/WVU probably has the most venom. In the 90's the series was both competitive and heated, but when we left the Big East, the intensity was turned up a notch. The series stayed alive two more years after the conference split, but after the 2005 game that was marred by incidents on both sides (fan violence in the stands and after the game, Marcus Vick flipping off the Morgantown crowd, 'Rapist' chants, etc) our administration pretty much decided that we would never play in Morgantown again...fwiw, I've heard the decision was made because the wife of a big money VT booster was assaulted and spit on by the WVU crowd. Anyway, we offered to play the series at neutral sites (Washington & Pittsburgh), but WVU declined (again, that's hearsay from my VT connections).

Either way, despite the schools not playing anymore (and not in the forseeable future), the rivalry remains pretty heated...so playing them in a bowl game is going to be a hell of an experience.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:50 PM   #246
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...16/ai_59019432
Old 12-01-2007, 10:50 PM   #247
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdaily View Post
Buckeyes > SEC is finally put to rest this year.

that was put to rest in last year's championship
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:51 PM   #248
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Hell DC, I doubt you could find 8 coaches in the current top 25 (just picking a number) that would favor an 8 team system.

Just heard Mark Richt talking earlier this week -- a coach who would certainly have seemed likely to benefit from such a system at that point -- saying he couldn't really support anything more than a +1 format if that,and that to be honest he thought the current system was just fine.

Like a number of coaches I've heard in the past, he strongly believes that making the season any longer simply isn't feasible for the players at this level.

And I think there's a lot of reality in that point of view. I mean I spent the afternoon watching LSU playing a backup QB versus Tennessee with only one regular RB healthy enough to play.

Roll the regular season back to 10 games, eliminate the conference title games,and then maybe you eliminate that argument ... but if you do the math then you know they aren't going to eliminate over 100 regular season games + conference championships in order to add a playoff for 8 teams.

All good points.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:51 PM   #249
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:

They do, but only as at-large teams. Their conference champion doesn't receive an automatic berth.

hxxp://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=37174

Last edited by cartman : 12-01-2007 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:51 PM   #250
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

WTF?

The media has been blowing Missouri all week, then they interview Pinkel instead of Stoops after they get demolished.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote