that was a hell of a shot on 16.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #202
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
that was a hell of a shot on 16.

Yes. That was pretty incredible.

I'm still not fully sold on him being a consistent Top 10 finisher yet.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #203
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
In non-PGA news, the University of Texas won their 3rd NCAA National Championship and first since 1972 (when Tom Kite and Ben Crenshaw were on the team) on a 30 foot putt on the 18th hole to win the match 1 up over Alabama.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 06-04-2012 at 10:56 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #204
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Oh wow, if the Alabama guys had won they'd have matched the women's team who won their first this year.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #205
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Yes. That was pretty incredible.

I'm still not fully sold on him being a consistent Top 10 finisher yet.

I think that Tiger is easily a Top 10 world ranking level player at the moment, but he has a lot of work yet to do before I say he is the best in the world, let alone anywhere near pre scandal Tiger.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #206
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
I think that Tiger is easily a Top 10 world ranking level player at the moment, but he has a lot of work yet to do before I say he is the best in the world, let alone anywhere near pre scandal Tiger.

Yep. He is currently 4th in the World Golf Rankings, up from his #23 spot at the end of last season.

http://www.officialworldgolfranking....me/default.sps

Last edited by cartman : 06-04-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #207
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

If Tiger putts and hits GIR like he did this week, he has an excellent shot at the Open.

Then again, I'm pretty sure Tiger and The Olympic Club haven't really gotten along over the years.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #209
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Video: Journeyman golfer holes incredible putt to punch U.S. Open ticket | Devil Ball Golf - Yahoo! Sports
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #210
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

42-year old Ernie Els wins the British Open after Adam Scott wasted a 5-shot lead on the final day. So pumped for him!

Ernie Els wins British Open 2012 as Adam Scott collapses at Lytham and St. Annes | GOLF.com

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-22-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #211
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

adam scott burst into flames down the stretch. awful to watch
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #212
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yeah he had a four shot lead with four to go, so I turned to other things for a bit, came back to find him in the middle of his third straight bogey of four-painful to watch, was rooting for him over Els since he's not won a major yet (and probably never will now after that epic collapse)
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #213
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah that was a Norman-esque meltdown.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #214
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

10-year-old girl qualifies for U.S. Women's Amateur

Ping: WrongWay

Quote:
Add the name Latanna Stone to the list of qualifiers for the U.S. Women's Amateur, which will be held next month in Cleveland. Stone won medalist honors after firing a 70 on July 13 at the Wanderers Club in Wellington, Fla.

So, what makes Stone so special?

She's 4-feet-8-inches tall. Also, she's 10 years old.

Ten.

Stone is reportedly the youngest person to qualify for a USGA event, breaking the previous record of 12. The tournament will take place Aug. 6-12 at The Country Club in Cleveland.

Stone has apparently been preparing for her time in the spotlight. She has a big-name coach, Charlotta Sorenstam (Annika's younger sister), and her own website, which states that Stone has won 102 tournaments and drives the ball 180 yards. And yes, Stone also has her own Twitter account.

Read more: http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2012...#ixzz21ZrSX6E3

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-24-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #215
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I can hit the ball about 100 yards further than her but have never gotten close to a 70
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #216
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Re: Reds

Xavier Paul is batting ahead of Todd Frazier. Derp.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #217
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I can hit the ball about 100 yards further than her but have never gotten close to a 70

Straight and short. Next time I play, i'll hit 5-irons all the way in. Has to be worth trying once, right?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #218
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Amateur Lydia Ko, 15, becomes youngest LPGA winner by taking Canadian Women's Open - ESPN

Quote:
The 15-year-old Ko is used to questions about her future, and she handled the latest round with ease Sunday after running away with the Canadian Women's Open to become the youngest winner in LPGA Tour history and only the fifth amateur champion.

"I'll still remain an amateur and then finish high school and then go to college," said Ko, who has mentioned Stanford as her college of choice. "I mean this is a great win, but I don't think this will affect me changing my roots to my career."

The South Korean-born New Zealander closed with a 5-under 67 for a three-stroke victory. She broke the age record of 16 set by Lexi Thompson last September in the Navistar LPGA Classic in Alabama, and is the first amateur winner since JoAnne Carner in the 1969 Burdine's Invitational.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #219
Thomkal
Head Coach

Might want to turn it over to NBC-Louis Oosthuizen is now at -19 thru 10 holes, has made 7 birdies in a row.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #220
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Time to bump this thread. Lots of moves both up and down at the Masters this afternoon. Lefty just put it in the creek on 12. Dustin Johnson playing well. Good to see Fred Couples make a run at the title right now too.

Edit: The live feed of Amen Corner is showing right now online. Fun to watch.

http://2013.masters.com/en_US/consol...&launchby=html

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-12-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #221
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Time to bump this thread. Lots of moves both up and down at the Masters this afternoon. Lefty just put it in the creek on 12. Dustin Johnson playing well. Good to see Fred Couples make a run at the title right now too.

Edit: The live feed of Amen Corner is showing right now online. Fun to watch.

" + text + space + "

Unfortunately, Freddy's back will probably cause him problems by Sunday and he'll fade...That's sort of been his MO the last few years...

I'd love to see Freddy win it though...

Last edited by Breeze : 04-12-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #222
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Watching the Amen Corner feed. That grass looks immaculate even on HD when they zoom in for a close shot of the ball. Just incredible.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #223
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Guan wasn't even born the last time a penalty was issued for slow play, against Glen Day at the 1995 Honda Classic.

I sure hope that this was such a clearly over-the-top situation that there's no way on Earth the penalty could have been avoided, otherwise it sure could look like somebody took issue with a 14-year old not only making the field but making the cut as well.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-12-2013 at 02:20 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #224
Thomkal
Head Coach

Dustin Johnson just rips my heart out again-birdies 13 to take a two stroke lead at -7, then inexplicably totally collapses with a bogey on 14 an unbelievably bad double bogey at the par 5 15, parred 16, bogeyed 17, double bogeyed 18 after not getting out a greenside bunker on his first try on 18. At -1, but given how difficult the course is playing today, still in with a chance at the weekend.

Last edited by Thomkal : 04-12-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #225
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I sure hope that this was such a clearly over-the-top situation that there's no way on Earth the penalty could have been avoided, otherwise it sure could look like somebody took issue with a 14-year old not only making the field but making the cut as well.

PGA golfers seem to be coming to his defense:

PGA Tour players respond to the slow play penalty Augusta National gave Tianlang Guan | Devil Ball Golf - Yahoo! Sports
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #226
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Apparently this official is somewhat notorious already. He's the guy who put Tiger & Harrington "on the clock" back in 2009, while they were battling for the win at the Bridgestone.

RealClearSports - Tiger Controversy is What Golf Needs
Old 04-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #227
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Watching the Amen Corner feed. That grass looks immaculate even on HD when they zoom in for a close shot of the ball. Just incredible.

I was there on Wednesday...and the grass was so green and even that it looked like that cheap green indoor/outdoor grass rug...

The open walkways between holes were better maintained than any golf course I've ever played and I've played Copperhead, Bay Hill, Harbour Town, and more...
Old 04-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #228
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
I was there on Wednesday...and the grass was so green and even that it looked like that cheap green indoor/outdoor grass rug...

The open walkways between holes were better maintained than any golf course I've ever played and I've played Copperhead, Bay Hill, Harbour Town, and more...

I was there Wednesday too.

And I'll be back there tomorrow. Can't wait!
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #229
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

They're saying they warned him three times beforehand. Seems to me that in any case, they were singling him out and the particular official is a dick.

2013 Masters -- Tianlang Guan shoots 75 after penalty for slow play - ESPN

Quote:
Matteo Manassero, who was keeping Guan's card in the group, was told by officials to write down a 5, even though Guan had scored a 4 on the hole

"I think it's the biggest thing he needs to be careful about, because I think he's ready. When the caddie pulls the club for him, I think he's ready," Manassero said. "But he just sometimes ... takes a little too long, he just asks questions [of his caddie] that I think he knows [the answers to], as well, but just to be sure, just to be clear in his mind.

"And so I think that's an important thing, and John Paramor was saying that, as well. We all feel sorry, but this is the way professional golf goes."

Guan, the youngest player at any major in 148 years, wasn't even born the last time a penalty was issued for slow play, against Glen Day at the 1995 Honda Classic.

Paramor was involved in a controversial slow-play issue at the 2008 WGC-Bridgestone Invitational, where he gave Padraig Harrington a warning for slow play while Harrington was involved in a tense match against Tiger Woods; Woods later criticized Paramor for the warning. Woods went on to win the tournament.

Paramor also issued slow-play warnings to Ross Fisher during the 2009 Open Championship. Despite repeated violations of the timing rules, he did not assess stroke penalties to Fisher.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #230
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Kid's on the projected cut line right now at +4. If nothing else, he's assured of being the low amateur, claimed that by 4 strokes. Tiger meanwhile is not joking around, shooting -3 on the day so far, just one back of the lead.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-12-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #231
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

With how Tiger's playing, it's not likely the cut is staying at +4 anyway.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #232
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
With how Tiger's playing, it's not likely the cut is staying at +4 anyway.

+4 is still tied for 54th...and with top 50 and ties...even if Woods posts a -7 or better, the players at +4 will be ok...

now if a couple of guys like Simpson, Hanson, McDowell or Watson get a couple birdies and get their score down to +3 or better, then +4 will be in trouble...
Old 04-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #233
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
+4 is still tied for 54th...and with top 50 and ties...even if Woods posts a -7 or better, the players at +4 will be ok...

now if a couple of guys like Simpson, Hanson, McDowell or Watson get a couple birdies and get their score down to +3 or better, then +4 will be in trouble...

Aah...not too many red numbers on the board, so looks decent. Crazy though. 14 years old and making the cut at your first major. Love it.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #234
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

And CBS has to be quietly saying "Thank God" as Tiger moves towards that lead as well.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #235
cartman
Death Herald

That was a brutal break for Tiger, hitting the pin and having the ball bounce into the water.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #236
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
That was a brutal break for Tiger, hitting the pin and having the ball bounce into the water.

Even more impressive that his next shot was nearly identical.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #237
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ugh rough three-putt to end and he comes way back to earth on the back 9.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #238
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Jason Day making me glad I picked him for that ESPN thing.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #239
Ryan S
Quarterback

It looks like they have found a way to stop people talking about the Guan's penalty.

BBC Sport - Masters 2013: Tiger Woods could be disqualified
Old 04-13-2013, 06:58 AM   #240
Ryan S
Quarterback

Reading up on it, it looks like Tiger misinterpreted the rules, and made the mistake of admitting it in an interview.

From Yahoo:

Quote:
In this case, the rule in question is parts a. and b. of the USGA's 26.1, "Relief For Ball In Water Hazard."

a. Proceed under the stroke and distance provision of Rule 27-1 by playing a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5)

b. Drop a ball behind the water hazard, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped

In other words, he could have played from the drop zone, no problem. Or he could have played the ball where he hit the original shot. Or he could have dropped the ball anywhere in a line from the flag to where the ball "last crossed the margin of the water" - i.e., where it rolled into the water - stretching from the edge of the water to as far back as he wished.

In short, he appeared to combine a. and b., which you cannot do. Willfully moving two yards away is not "as close as possible," and Woods did not definitively appear to be in a direct line between the pin and the spot where the original shot finally hit the water. The penalty for an improper drop is two strokes. But since Woods already signed his scorecard, which would then be an incorrect one, he would be disqualified from the tournament.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #241
Ryan S
Quarterback

I am not sure why we are still waiting for an announcement from the Masters.

If he played from the wrong position, there is no option but to disqualify under USGA rules, and unfortunately for Tiger, he appears to have admitted the error.

After what could be regarded as a harsh penalty on Guan yesterday, it would look very unfair if they ignored the rulebook for a golfer just because he is the biggest draw in the field.

The length of time it has taken for a decision makes me think that they are going to come up with something different for Tiger.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #242
Ryan S
Quarterback

Two stroke penalty? Don't get me wrong, I prefer the idea of a harsh stroke penalty rather than disqualification, but was this really in the USGA rulebook before this morning?
Old 04-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #243
duckman
Pro Starter

It's not an USGA event. It's an invitational golf tournament. They put the rule in a couple years ago because they disqualified a player who was going to win the tournament.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #244
Ryan S
Quarterback

This looks bad for the tournament organisers. I think that the original rule change was made to stop people from being disqualified after viewers at home saw things in super slow motion replays.

In this case, Tiger clearly knew what he was doing and admitted to it, though he may not have known it was against the rules.

Rule 6.6d

d. Wrong Score for Hole
The competitor is responsible for the correctness of the score recorded for each hole on his score card. If he returns a score for any hole lower than actually taken, he is disqualified. If he returns a score for any hole higher than actually taken, the score as returned stands.

Note 1: The Committee is responsible for the addition of scores and application of the handicap recorded on the score card – see Rule 33-5.

Rule 33.5

A penalty of disqualification may in exceptional individual cases be waived, modified or imposed if the Committee considers such action warranted.
Any penalty less than disqualification must not be waived or modified.

If a Committee considers that a player is guilty of a serious breach of etiquette, it may impose a penalty of disqualification under this Rule.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #245
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman View Post
It's not an USGA event. It's an invitational golf tournament. They put the rule in a couple years ago because they disqualified a player who was going to win the tournament.

It's not a USGA event, but they use the USGA rulebook.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #246
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

He stays.

2013 Masters -- Tiger penalized 2 strokes for ball drop on 15 - ESPN
Old 04-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #247
miked
College Starter

This whole sign the scorecard thing may be the gayest part of golf. How can you DQ somebody for signing a scorecard incorrectly if the player doesn't know about the penalty until after it's over. It's 2013 and this was the 15th hole. Why can't somebody from the tournament come over a hole or two later and say, hey, that was an improper drop and you are penalized 2 strokes. I mean, every other sport there are scorekeepers, scorecards, etc. Why is golf so insistent that the player sign his scorecard to make it "official" or something.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #248
Thomkal
Head Coach

Reading the ESPN link about this, I don't know what to think-The committee saw the video of the rule breaking while he was still on the course and ruled it wasn't a violation. Then after Tiger mentioned it in interviews after the round was over, they went back and looked at it again and said it breached a rule.

I don't know much about the rules of golf, but these guys do-from what I've seen from the replays and the explanations given, it was a clear violation of the rule. How could they not see that the first time they saw the video?

Also I'd like to see the official wording on this High Definition TV rule. Does it cover all the times people call in after seeing a rules infraction?-even if it has nothing to do with having a High Def TV, or does it cover just things a player normally would not see-like a ball oscillating on the green?

I think its finally time that the rules official with each group take a more active role in making sure players are playing by the rules. You would have thought they would have learned their lesson after Dustin Johnson's "Bunkergate" a couple years ago, but clearly they haven't. Tiger, even as knowledgeable about the rules as he appears to be, was clearly shaken by the bad luck of what had just happened on the previous shot. A rules official should have gone up to him, made sure he correctly knew his options and made sure the drop was done correctly. Yes it might cause problems with pace of play, but at least the integrity of the game would remain solid.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #249
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ugh golf
Old 04-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #250
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Yes it might cause problems with pace of play, but at least the integrity of the game would remain solid.

But, kinda like baseball, pace of play is considered in some circles to be THE biggest problem with the game today.

edit to add: I ain't arguing that position, I'm just saying that it's one of THE big things in that world.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-13-2013 at 11:23 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote