Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-23-2006, 12:57 PM   #201
Kodos
Resident Alien

Nobody has called me an EA Whore in a long time. What's up with that?
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:12 PM   #202
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Ouch! More negative shots from Bill Harris..........

Quote:
EA Sports: where great ideas go to die.

Madden 2007 (360) is a textbook example, and let's do just that--let's use it as a textbook example of the failures endemic to every EA team sports game.

Here's the framework: EA will incorporate a few great ideas into every game, but these elements will be butchered beyond belief by choices made in the design process.

Superstar mode in the 360 version of Madden is a perfect example, and I'm going to examine two great ideas gone bad: "influence" and "accelerated play."

I woke up in a cold sweat screaming "INFLUENCE!" last night. It's a phenomenal idea, that your performance could influence the performance of your teammates. Genius, really.

So let's look at how this is implemented. At the start of each possession on your side of the ball (offense for a quarterback, defense for a linebacker, for example), a big pop-up box launches and you get to allocate your available influence points. If you're a superstar, you can allocate them to your teammates. If you're a rookie, you allocate them to yourself.

In addition, After every single play, a box is going to pop up on that screen to tell you how many influence points you earned (or lost) on that play.

It's the most illogical, awkward implementation that could possibly have been imagined for what was, conceptually, a great idea. They might as well have titled that pop-up box "A Reminder That This Is Not a Real Football Game."

Besides, it's just stupid. Your influence changes on the basis of the outcome of the play whether you were involved or not. So if you're a wide receiver on the right side of the field and a pitch play is run to the left, the results of that play are going to affect your influence.

The worst part, though, by far, is that damned pop-up box. After every singe play.

Here's how this would be correctly designed, and let's use the quarterback as an example. Instead of a pop-up box after each play, you see teammates react to good or bad plays. You see them arguing with you in the huddle if your influence has dropped significantly, but if it's risen significantly, they're enouraging each other (and you). When they come off the field after a possession, someone might throw down a helmet if you're screwing up. They might argue with you.

How cool would it be to throw an interception, see your team walking to the sidelines, watch a wide receiver throw his helmet into the bench, and know it was your fault?

If you want to see the exact number of influence points, make it be accessible via the pause game menu. But do the cut scenes right and there's no need for that--there will be no question how your play is affecting people.

And if you want to use your influence points, you know what you do? After you select a play, you'd see a 2-3 second shot of the huddle, and during that period you could press a button to have your quarterback pat a specific player on the helmet, or put a hand on his shoulder. Touching one member of the offensive line would correspond to the entire line, but there would be player specific buttons for the skill positions. So if you've called a pass play at a critical time, pat an offensive lineman on the helmet to make sure the line has every advantage to improve their protection.

Totally organic, totally in the flow of the game, and totally consistent with what happens in real football. It makes cut scenes meaningful, it removes those stupid pop-up windows, and it takes you even deeper into the game.

And this is what drives me crazy: that's the logical way to design it. Designing it with pop-up windows is the most awkward, inconvenient way imaginable. It's the worst possible implementation.

What were people thinking in those design meetings? Did they all applaud when a guy said "I think we should use intrusive pop-up boxes after every play for the influence system!"

Where was our guy? Our guy who would have said "I think you should take those pop-box boxes and shove them up your ass."

That's the problem, though--our guy doesn't work at EA Sports. And if he did, no one would listen to him, anyway.

The second great idea is the concept of accelerated play. When you're off the field, the action speeds by at 2X (roughly) speed, and everything between plays (walking back to the huddle, huddling, etc.) is cut.

That's really a great idea. Watch it get butchered.

First, you can't opt-out of the higher speed unless you want to see everything that happens between plays. Again, no flexibility for us whatsoever--no ability for us to change the degree of acceleration, no ability to turn it off but skip what happens in-between plays. Those are easy options to include, but that's now how EA's decided to design these games. They're not about choices.

That's not the real butchery, though. Do you know what the game clock is doing while all these plays are taking place at accelerated speed? You guessed it--it's running at normal speed.

Even for EA, that's classic.

Teams frequently come to the line of scrimmage with thirty-five seconds left on the forty-second play clock. And an entire play will take place in two or three seconds.

How hard would it have been to sync the speed of the clock with the speed of the play? Two words: not very.

So this makes the time remaining on the clock totally meaningless. Even without running a two-minute drill, a team can easily run six plays in a minute. And good luck figuring out how long quarter lengths should be to get an accurate number of total plays for the game, because it will always be different, depending on time of possession.

The accelerated clock is already a feature in other versions of Madden. If that had been used, and the clock synced to the play speed, it would have been a fantastic feature.

"Would have been." A key phrase when discussing this game.

The 360 version of Madden is going to generate, at a bare minimum, fifty million dollars in revenue. Could you maybe throw us a damn bone here? Could you maybe include more display options--than zero? Could you maybe add more camera angles than ONE? Could you maybe hire somebody to lead the project who has, I don't know, common sense?

Could you maybe spend a little bit less money on primetime ads and full-page newspaper spreads and maybe hire a few more people to actually work on the game?

Nah. That would be crazy.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:24 PM   #203
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, that influence point after every play is bugging the shit out of me and really has me only playing normal games, but I'm REALLY trying to look past that - well, that and the fact that the clock runs normal when you're not in the game - as mentioned by Bill.

Games vs the CPU are good however, and I'm enjoying myself there. I just don't see how a $60 game should be mostly about graphics as everything else besides gameplay seems like it was an afterthought. Ok, that's good right? I don't know.. I just think of the 2k series and wonder why presentation isn't at least up to that level from two years ago????
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:26 PM   #204
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
Wait... PC has on-line leagues this year?!

Yeah, they've had them for several years. People have develope PHP codes to automate statistics-tracking on websites. PM me if you want some links to some leagues.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:28 PM   #205
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
I guess that what we can do is to play less minutes quarters to get a real amount of plays per game.

I was playing with 10 min quarters, initially I was thinking that the longer game would come out more realistic - but I'm thinking I may cut it down to 7 and see how that works out.

Also, something I just thought about with the INT problem I was/am having, I have been playing with the cone vision on for QBs, so that could be playing a part. I might try with that off.

Some other SS mode thoughts for others... Keep in mind, this is all PS2, so I have no idea if the PC/Xbox versions are the same, I know the 360 is alot different.

I like the SS mode, as I like the individual thing. The individual work outs, the combine and the draft are all good enough but with room for improvement.

The work outs and the combine are just a single workout similiar to the training camp mini games, then you're done. I'd prefer that atleast the combine was more than one type of workout. The draft does go pick by pick until you are selected, but it seems like since the first round is always the same (Williams, Bush, Young ect) that you are stuck to third round at best. It might be possible to crack the second round, but it doesn't look likely since so far I've went in as a 89 rated receiver, and a 93 rated RE and still had to wait til the third round.

Being a late round pick also means you're setup with a 2 year contract everytime. No accelerated clock as mentioned. I do like the camera view for your player, but I found WR to be fairly hit and miss. You can let the computer run the route for you if you really want - I usually ran it or split off on my own. The problem I found with this is the QBs didn't really lead me, they either threw it behind me causing me to have to split back really quick or they led me by so much that by the time the ball got there I had 5 DBs around me.

Playing a RE has been fun, I was rated enough to easily crack the starting line. Infact, it seems that with just a little effort you can easily go in rated 90+. Having done two RE's - flipped thru the parents picked a HoF calibre RE father and hit the individual work outs. I've been able to notice a difference in your player, I'm not sure if it's position or weight but like with my WR I was able to get a 4.29 with a bit of button mashing, while with my RE the best I could do was a 4.55.

I tanked most of the other work outs (awful tackler at times) for my RE. Much like the mini-games during the owner mode training camp you get scores and trophy icons if you do good. In the end though, it seemed that having done well on my 40 yard dash and I assume choosing good parents was enough.

At 6'8, 290 I was rated 93 with 88 speed, 90+ agility, 90+ jump, 99 acceleration. It seems since I didn't do so hot in the other tackle/strenght related work outs, I also ended up with 73 tackle and 78 strenght.

So, I have this guy who is like a rocket if I can get past the line, but I will also get absolutely man-handled sometimes.

Also as mentioned, the influence menu does pop up every possession, including kick-offs if you are involved. It can be a tad annoying sometimes, it's much like pausing the game once every position (infact it stutters a second and makes the pause noise).

I've still not found a happy medium with game clock and play time, I've been playing on all-pro. Haven't found the computer to be ridiculously hard, just really dumb sometimes. Like when playing WR, all I'd hear is OOOFH every 3 plays or so, and know the ball wasn't going anywhere cause the QB just got drilled.

Overall, if I can get the game tweaked to where I feel the computer is playing solid and the clock issue figured out - I think there may be enough here for it to be fun for atleast a few seasons at the right position.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:28 PM   #206
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
Ugh... so you can't import the games into the franchise even like you could on the PS2 last year?

You absolutely can do franchise leagues online with the PC version.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:43 PM   #207
WVUFAN
College Starter

dola --

A good tool for online franchises (and good for Dynasties) is this:
http://www.football-freaks.com/forum...hp?download=19

Its a nice little PHP code that takes info from the franchise logs and allows it to be posted in web pages.

There's also LeaguePulse.com, which is a good service for PC online leagues.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:47 PM   #208
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution
I was playing with 10 min quarters, initially I was thinking that the longer game would come out more realistic - but I'm thinking I may cut it down to 7 and see how that works out.

Also, something I just thought about with the INT problem I was/am having, I have been playing with the cone vision on for QBs, so that could be playing a part. I might try with that off.

Some other SS mode thoughts for others... Keep in mind, this is all PS2, so I have no idea if the PC/Xbox versions are the same, I know the 360 is alot different.

I like the SS mode, as I like the individual thing. The individual work outs, the combine and the draft are all good enough but with room for improvement.

The work outs and the combine are just a single workout similiar to the training camp mini games, then you're done. I'd prefer that atleast the combine was more than one type of workout. The draft does go pick by pick until you are selected, but it seems like since the first round is always the same (Williams, Bush, Young ect) that you are stuck to third round at best. It might be possible to crack the second round, but it doesn't look likely since so far I've went in as a 89 rated receiver, and a 93 rated RE and still had to wait til the third round.

Being a late round pick also means you're setup with a 2 year contract everytime. No accelerated clock as mentioned. I do like the camera view for your player, but I found WR to be fairly hit and miss. You can let the computer run the route for you if you really want - I usually ran it or split off on my own. The problem I found with this is the QBs didn't really lead me, they either threw it behind me causing me to have to split back really quick or they led me by so much that by the time the ball got there I had 5 DBs around me.

Playing a RE has been fun, I was rated enough to easily crack the starting line. Infact, it seems that with just a little effort you can easily go in rated 90+. Having done two RE's - flipped thru the parents picked a HoF calibre RE father and hit the individual work outs. I've been able to notice a difference in your player, I'm not sure if it's position or weight but like with my WR I was able to get a 4.29 with a bit of button mashing, while with my RE the best I could do was a 4.55.

I tanked most of the other work outs (awful tackler at times) for my RE. Much like the mini-games during the owner mode training camp you get scores and trophy icons if you do good. In the end though, it seemed that having done well on my 40 yard dash and I assume choosing good parents was enough.

At 6'8, 290 I was rated 93 with 88 speed, 90+ agility, 90+ jump, 99 acceleration. It seems since I didn't do so hot in the other tackle/strenght related work outs, I also ended up with 73 tackle and 78 strenght.

So, I have this guy who is like a rocket if I can get past the line, but I will also get absolutely man-handled sometimes.

Also as mentioned, the influence menu does pop up every possession, including kick-offs if you are involved. It can be a tad annoying sometimes, it's much like pausing the game once every position (infact it stutters a second and makes the pause noise).

I've still not found a happy medium with game clock and play time, I've been playing on all-pro. Haven't found the computer to be ridiculously hard, just really dumb sometimes. Like when playing WR, all I'd hear is OOOFH every 3 plays or so, and know the ball wasn't going anywhere cause the QB just got drilled.

Overall, if I can get the game tweaked to where I feel the computer is playing solid and the clock issue figured out - I think there may be enough here for it to be fun for atleast a few seasons at the right position.

Good thoughts, i agree. The popup is not anyoning me a lot by now, can live with it, but the normal speed clock when the game is accelerated is a stupid bug that should be fixed (and it won't knowing EA).

As every madden version, this is a game to play from time to time, to enjoy the nice graphs, to play with friends while driking some beers, to play in SS mode and have fun managing your own player etc but if we try to judge it with our test sim players eyes, we will find tons of stupid bugs. That is why i like the SS mode as i can't stand playing a dynasty on franchise mode with any madden version, the bugs, stupid roster management, buggy players progression, crap simmed games stats, etc. For a good dynasty experience i'll wait for FOF2k6 or any other football text sim if developed.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:50 PM   #209
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
More fun..

QB's can get wild, all kinds of different throws. Big backs carry the pile with them, meaning on a 3rd and 1 you better stack the line. Game just feels right.. I thought NCAA felt scripted at times. Lots of different tackles and animations. CPU even subbed in backups.

As soon as the patch and first roster update is here, I'll be ready to get a Rams franchise going.

Yeah, even in my single game last night, I saw quite a few wild throws. Throwing on the run without resetting your feet is a recipe for a very wild throw usually. Also, I liked how the bigger backs moved the pile, but without fatigue it became really hard to stop them. Anyway, I'm looking forward to playing more on Sunday after my mom goes home (leave in about 2.5 hours to go pick her up from the airport.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:26 PM   #210
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I think I'm putting my 360 copy of Madden up on e-bay. If anyone here wants to buy it from me first, just pm me and we'll work out the details.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:17 PM   #211
RainMaker
General Manager

I know some people are eating up the 360 version, but I'm going to stick to the current gen with Madden. I'm just sick and tired of the barebones games EA is putting out on the 360 to get us to buy both versions.

Yes, the gameplay is pretty solid in the 360 and I really enjoy it. But it is still stripped of a ridiculous amount of features you find in the current gen. It's like I stepped back 5 years. I just can't fathom after 2 years not being able to have these features in the game.

The fatigue and HOF issues are ridiculous as well and shows a lack of testing. Perhaps cut out a few of the 19,000 commercials I'll see on opening NFL weekend and hire a few kids to test the game. Regardless, playing without fatigue is just too much for me to be honest.

So for this year, I'll stick with the current gen unfortunately. It's sad because I truly bought a 360 to play all these "next gen sports games". The next gen sports games are really just stripped down versions of the regular games with better animations and graphics.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:19 PM   #212
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker
I know some people are eating up the 360 version, but I'm going to stick to the current gen with Madden. I'm just sick and tired of the barebones games EA is putting out on the 360 to get us to buy both versions.

Yes, the gameplay is pretty solid in the 360 and I really enjoy it. But it is still stripped of a ridiculous amount of features you find in the current gen. It's like I stepped back 5 years. I just can't fathom after 2 years not being able to have these features in the game.

The fatigue and HOF issues are ridiculous as well and shows a lack of testing. Perhaps cut out a few of the 19,000 commercials I'll see on opening NFL weekend and hire a few kids to test the game. Regardless, playing without fatigue is just too much for me to be honest.

So for this year, I'll stick with the current gen unfortunately. It's sad because I truly bought a 360 to play all these "next gen sports games". The next gen sports games are really just stripped down versions of the regular games with better animations and graphics.

Not NHL 2007 (hopefully!)
Old 08-23-2006, 08:22 PM   #213
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Not NHL 2007 (hopefully!)

I guarantee it. As long as they are making for both current and next gen consoles, they'll try to nail people for both.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:22 PM   #214
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

at least nhl 2007 will have competition
Old 08-23-2006, 11:00 PM   #215
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yep. It's Madden 2006 PS2 for me, and NCAA 2007 (360). Or I might go back to NCAA 2004 PS2. Has anyone noticed on NCAA 2007 that hot routes don't work a lot of the time? Like the button to bring them up doesn't work?

Last edited by Kodos : 08-23-2006 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:23 AM   #216
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
Yep. It's Madden 2006 PS2 for me, and NCAA 2007 (360). Or I might go back to NCAA 2004 PS2. Has anyone noticed on NCAA 2007 that hot routes don't work a lot of the time? Like the button to bring them up doesn't work?
I haven't had that problem (Y button), but I have had a problem switching the run to the right or left sometimes.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:01 AM   #217
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Please don't let NHL 2007 suck!
Old 08-24-2006, 09:03 AM   #218
jbmagic
Pro Starter

So everyone disappointed with Madden 2007 for the xbox 360?

Is NCAA 2007 for the xbox 360 the better game?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:04 AM   #219
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic

and how the AI?

thanks
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:16 AM   #220
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
I haven't had that problem (Y button), but I have had a problem switching the run to the right or left sometimes.

It seems like it worked originally, and then I redid the buttons. But I noticed that my hot routes weren't working (I checked the scheme to see for sure that I was using the right one), so I switched back to the default. But it still won't do hot routes.

Overall, I like NCAA 2007, so I'll probably stick with it. I love the snapshot option. There do seem to be too many turnovers that are taken TO THE HOUSE, but a little more tweaking should be able to fix that.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:17 AM   #221
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Are the sims stat realistic?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:39 AM   #222
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

you no that fatigue bug not work, know?
Old 08-24-2006, 10:53 AM   #223
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I guess I don't take my console gaming to serious 'cause I'm enjoying this years version of the 360. There is a work-around for the HOF in franchise and the fatigue is "supposed" to be patched. If I want realistic stats and hardcore franchise gaming FOF IMO is the only game that does it for me. I've really enjoyed playing Madden 07 with the couple buddies who have came over to play (although they kick my ass).

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:55 AM   #224
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan
I guess I don't take my console gaming to serious 'cause I'm enjoying this years version of the 360. There is a work-around for the HOF in franchise and the fatigue is "supposed" to be patched. If I want realistic stats and hardcore franchise gaming FOF IMO is the only game that does it for me. I've really enjoyed playing Madden 07 with the couple buddies who have came over to play (although they kick my ass).

What kind of a man enjoys getting his ass kicked! Somebody, kick this man's ass!
Old 08-24-2006, 11:01 AM   #225
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
What kind of a man enjoys getting his ass kicked! Somebody, kick this man's ass!

LoL - you should see the attmept I make playing online. There is nothing worse than a 12 year old kid talking smack when they put 30 on the board @ halftime!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:10 AM   #226
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015
I would really appreciate it if someone who has both games can verify this for me. I have NCAA and I want to get Madden. This is a huge feature for me. If it is broken, then I am going to trade in NCAA and put the $$$ towards Saint's Row.

If anyone answers this question, I will be their best friend for the day.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 04:08 PM   #227
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
If anyone answers this question, I will be their best friend for the day.
I simmed 3 seasons of franchise play, importing 3 classes from my NCAA dynasty. The rookies I scouted were all 21/22/23 years old, as usual. If you want, I'll do another test right now.

EDIT: Simming a season.

Done. In my 2007 class, almost all the rookies were in the 21/22/23/24 years old range. I counted like 17 players who were 25-years old.

Last edited by Emiliano : 08-24-2006 at 04:37 PM.
Emiliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 04:57 PM   #228
dbd1963
High School JV

I think, even with the annoyances, I'm digging SS mode. I can't believe I actually like the Browns.. Anyway, I'm so into it, I have hardly touched a franchise.
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:26 PM   #229
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbd1963
I think, even with the annoyances, I'm digging SS mode. I can't believe I actually like the Browns.. Anyway, I'm so into it, I have hardly touched a franchise.

barely touched a franchise too, although i do have a "super defense" franchise setup. loving superstar mode too
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:40 PM   #230
Schmidty
Coordinator

I haven't read this thread at all, but I just got the game last night. My first impression is that this is just about the same damned game as last year.

Thank goodness I only rented it.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:44 PM   #231
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

I have not played Madden 2007 of the 360, but I did get NCAA 2007 on the 360 and I can't imagine it being the better game. If it is, don't buy either. IMO, NCAA 2007 is not good at all on the 360 and feels like a very incomplete game.

I'd say either get it on the current gen console, or wait for one of the basketball or hockey titles to come out. (And for me, it's College Hoops 2k7 and NHL 2k7 that I'm waiting for)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:10 PM   #232
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
I have not played Madden 2007 of the 360, but I did get NCAA 2007 on the 360 and I can't imagine it being the better game. If it is, don't buy either. IMO, NCAA 2007 is not good at all on the 360 and feels like a very incomplete game.

I'd say either get it on the current gen console, or wait for one of the basketball or hockey titles to come out. (And for me, it's College Hoops 2k7 and NHL 2k7 that I'm waiting for)

Madden 07 IMO is the best football game ever made. The gameplay is excellent, sweet graphics and online play is a blast.

I generally only play head to head online. I do not play the dynasty mode.

The only thing, I would really like them to add is an online dynasty mode, like the old Madden 2k2 had for the PC.

Online franchise is blast.

Last edited by astrosfan64 : 08-24-2006 at 07:12 PM.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:55 PM   #233
SackAttack
Head Coach

EA sent us three versions of the game today. Good golly, miss Molly.

Troy, you up for the 360 review? Or would you prefer PSP?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:05 PM   #234
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I am really dissapointed with the 360 version, as it is on e-bay already.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:11 PM   #235
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Damn I was looking forward to either Madden 2007 or Ncaa 2007 for my excuse to get the xbox 360. But looks like many are not happy with it.

Now I not sure if I should still get the xbox 360 and just get a different game for now.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:06 PM   #236
dbd1963
High School JV

When I got the 360 there really weren't many games out yet that were something I'd get into. I got it thinking I'd enjoy playing Madden again. I have NCAA 07 and have played it a little -- it's really not my thing. I've got the Lord of the Rings game, a racing game, and have seen some of the games you can play from the original XBox (for my kids).

The graphics are amazing and eventually I expect there will be a lot of satisfaction with having one, but right now I don't feel like it was a wise purchase. I could have lived with a PS2 and gotten a whole lot more games for my kids to enjoy (there's really nothing made for the 360 yet that my kids like). And looking ahead, the 360 doesn't look like it's marketing to kids *at all*. I'd have been better served to wait for the much cheaper Nintendo Wii on that score. But it's not just for the kids, it's for me too (or call me a 40 y/o kid..)

The Dad in me is disappointed for my kids; the kid in me is disappointed too. The graphics are sweet, but none of the games have made me think buying this thing was worth it.

The one thing that makes me go "hmm" is the fact that 360 games are patchable. This will make me happier in the end, no doubt.. provided companies actually *use* this feature.
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:51 PM   #237
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm liking it right now.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:15 AM   #238
Kodos
Resident Alien

I played it a bit at Best Buy. Pretty, and plays okay. Is dynasty mode okay?
Old 08-25-2006, 12:23 AM   #239
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I played it a bit at Best Buy. Pretty, and plays okay. Is dynasty mode okay?

EA Whore.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:48 AM   #240
AgustusM
College Prospect

I bought the PC and the 360 versions. Why, because I prefer playing coach only mode on my PC - but my son likes to play on the console and I wanted to be able to import the NCAA draft classes.

On the PC I think the game is very strong. Again all I play on the PC is franchise, coach mode. I liked last years game but the 2 biggest things I didn't like - editing players in franchise and moving franchises have both been fixed. The few negatives I see on the PC , in coach mode screens still don't work. Punt returns appear to be a "little" better then last year. They screwed up the draft by only allowing you to scout 8 players and require you to play the repetitive mini-games to do so.

On the 360 - well, it looks nice and the franchise is a little better, and the superstar mode is a little better. But other then that, it is not a very good game for someone who wants more then what the average 8 year old wants. lucky for me, my son is 8 and he likes playing it, so that is great - but I can't see myself playing any kind of long term franchise on the 360. the "appearing" hall of famers bug is mind-numbingly awful.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:39 AM   #241
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
EA Whore.

**Hangs head in shame**
Old 08-25-2006, 08:50 AM   #242
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano
I simmed 3 seasons of franchise play, importing 3 classes from my NCAA dynasty. The rookies I scouted were all 21/22/23 years old, as usual. If you want, I'll do another test right now.

EDIT: Simming a season.

Done. In my 2007 class, almost all the rookies were in the 21/22/23/24 years old range. I counted like 17 players who were 25-years old.

Which versions are you playing?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:51 AM   #243
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Which versions are you playing?

I'm pretty sure he is playing the 360 version.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:17 AM   #244
MikeVic
Head Coach

Ok, can someone please tell me how to enjoy this game Here's my rant that I sent to a friend a few minutes ago:

I tried playing a game but got bored for some reason. So then I tried Superstar Mode (remember I didn’t play Madden ’06 at all)… There were three things that just bugged the hell out of me, and have forced me to stop playing this stupid game.

First, when you select anything… like teams, tattoos, helmet, etc… it’s a BLANKING dropdown! And you can’t just stay focused on the dropdown and press the up and down arrows or scroll your wheel mouse… you have to click-select every damn single time…

Second, when you rotate your guy to see his side view, behind him, etc… whenever you change anything about him… IT RESETS THE VIEW! So I pick a helmet, rotate to the side to see how it looks… then pick another helmet… then have to rotate him again… and no, you can’t just grab him and rotate (like Oblivion and every other BLANKING computer game out there). You have to use those stupid arrow buttons.

Third, in Training Camp/Practice…. Wow… Here’s the scenario: I’m a RB drafted by the Bears. I’m sitting behind Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson… so in practice/training camp, I’m just controlling those guys. NEVER once did I control my own RB. Yet, my RB’s ratings are changing based on how Grossman, Jones, etc. do. Just plain stupid. I stopped playing right there.

So, FOFC Madden players, how do you enjoy this game? Please tell me (I'm serious, as I want to play it for at least a little bit longer). Is Coach Mode in Franchise the only way to go?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:29 AM   #245
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I played one more game last night (after my mom went to bed) and I enjoyed it. It's not perfect, but for me, the gameplay on All-Madden is quite enjoyable. Maybe, I'll see more things that annoy me as I play longer (which did happen in NCAA to an extent.)

However, once fatigue is patched, I'm still looking forward to a fun 360 NCAA-Madden dynasty.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:32 AM   #246
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I haven't had a lot of time to play the game since Tuesday, so I figure that I'll just wait until the fatigue is patched. I hadn't noticed the clock problem in superstar mode myself, but reading about it killed SS mode for me. I'll just jump into a franchise after the patch is released. I guess I've lowered my standards for some games. When I played the game the other night, my first thought was "At least it's not NFL Head Coach."
Old 08-25-2006, 12:24 PM   #247
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
I'm pretty sure he is playing the 360 version.
I wish I was man...

I got the regular Xbox version. No money to buy a 360 right now. Plus, it's not even moddable yet, so no USA games.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:22 PM   #248
Emiliano
College Prospect

My early thoughts on the game, after having played a couple of 5-minute quarters games and toyed around with franchise mode:

-PR blocking seems fixed, KR is improved. Hey, we can return kicks!
-I like the addition of player roles in franchise mode. I simmed 3 years of franchise play with the 49ers and I had Antonio Bryant becoming a "distraction" after the first season, Alex Smith an "underachiever" (basically, a 1st round bust) after the 3rd, other couple of players "injury prone". It gives you more things to deal with, giving + and - points to the whole team, or to a group of player only (example: if you have a "QB of the future", your O-line ratings will be boosted by that fact). I think it's nice, and it seems to work well.
-The lead block control is fun. It's a thing that I won't use in every play, but it's pure fun throwing a good block with your FB every now and then, and seeing your RB busting through the hole and score a TD. Yeah, I actually jumped in celebration of a Frank Gore 47 yds run for a TD, thanks to a crucial pancake block that I performed.
-College all-star game and the new scouting system: 2 nice little things to know your incoming class of rookies better. Very nice.

Also, I found out an interesting thing: in franchise mode, if you put the simmed games injury sliders to the max, you'll have RBs stats greatly improved.
Look at these stats of my 3-year experiment (sorry, I don't know how to code this stuff):

Yeah, they're far from perfect, but they're 100x better than having 3/4 2000 yds rusher with over 500 carries a season. Also, the vast majority of the backup RBs get a good number of carries. In the end, this is Madden we're talking about. I don't think the sim engine will NEVER be comparable with a text-sims one.
But, the important thing is that these numbers are reasonable, and won't cause CPU stars to dominate seasons and seasons. Another thing I noted is that teams end each season with an average of 4/5 players "out for the season", which I think it's near the real NFL number.
Anyway, I'll wait a couple of rosters updates to start a serious franchise, as I am deep into my NCAA 07 Oregon dynasty, and I'm loving it.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:57 PM   #249
Vince
Pro Starter

In year 3, "V. Young" has to be Vince Young, doesn't it? And with 1,315 Yards Rushing on 160 carries...I thought they worked on nerfing the "Michael Vick" bug.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:06 PM   #250
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Looks like the PC version of Madden 2007 is the best version over the consoles this year.