Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-22-2005, 09:38 AM   #201
Critch
lolzcat

He's only a backup in England as well, it's more the action itself that's getting him in the newspapers. He's also my keeper in FM (he's very good in FM and easy to sign cheap), I may have to sell him after this revelation

New Arsenal kit has been released, complete change to mark their last season at Highbury. They've gone back to the colors they wore 100 years ago for one season, the red with white sleeves will return next year when they move to their new stadium. More of a Roma look now.

hxxp://www.arsenal.com/images/splash/redcurrant2.jpg

Last edited by Critch : 06-22-2005 at 09:40 AM.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:26 AM   #202
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Nice! It looks like a 1960's picture to me. I didn't realize Bergkamp had been around that long with Arsenal.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 06-22-2005 at 10:26 AM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:54 AM   #203
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Note to SI Games: Please change Stefan Postma's "Eccentricity" rating to 20 in FM2006.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:10 PM   #204
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
Note to SI Games: Please change Stefan Postma's "Eccentricity" rating to 20 in FM2006.

Might as well jack up his 'positioning' and ability to take a 'set piece' as well.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:28 AM   #205
Klinglerware
College Starter

For anybody following Feyenoord or Dutch soccer: how is Cory Gibbs performing?
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:58 AM   #206
Critch
lolzcat

Round of applause to FSC for their Copa Libertadores coverage on Friday night.

The game had actually taken place on Thursday evening, but Fox en Espanol was the only place to have it on live. I managed to avoid the result to watch the second leg tape delayed on FSC friday evening at 10.30pm. Very last ad break before the game FSC runs a "FSC would like to congratulate Sao Paulo on their Copa Libertadores victory". Well done, right before they show the game on tape delay, they announce who wins. Idiots.

No idea about Corey Gibbs, but I saw Guiseppe Rossi (who is from New Jersey) playing for Man Utd v Clyde (my hometown team) yesterday, and he looked pretty lively. May see him get a few appearances for Man Utd next season, though they've got so many forwards he may miss out.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:02 AM   #207
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
Round of applause to FSC for their Copa Libertadores coverage on Friday night.

The game had actually taken place on Thursday evening, but Fox en Espanol was the only place to have it on live. I managed to avoid the result to watch the second leg tape delayed on FSC friday evening at 10.30pm. Very last ad break before the game FSC runs a "FSC would like to congratulate Sao Paulo on their Copa Libertadores victory". Well done, right before they show the game on tape delay, they announce who wins. Idiots.

No idea about Corey Gibbs, but I saw Guiseppe Rossi (who is from New Jersey) playing for Man Utd v Clyde (my hometown team) yesterday, and he looked pretty lively. May see him get a few appearances for Man Utd next season, though they've got so many forwards he may miss out.

Hey Critch, sorry to threadjack but do you know any place around Herndon to watch the games? The nearest place I've found so far is Summers restaurant down in Arlington, but that's a bit of a haul.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:21 AM   #208
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Hey Critch, sorry to threadjack but do you know any place around Herndon to watch the games? The nearest place I've found so far is Summers restaurant down in Arlington, but that's a bit of a haul.

There's nothing like Summers out here, I've heard that Ned Devine's shows English games at the weekends, but I've never been out for it. Other than that Jimmy's on Elden Street will turn the a tv over for you if you ask and there's no football/hockey on.

I've got Gol TV/FSC/Setanta at chez critch, so I rarely leave the house.

edit to avoid a dola - it seems that Guiseppe Rossi has declared for Italy and is playing for their under 19 team despite being from new Jersey, so don't get excited about another American at a big club.

Last edited by Critch : 07-18-2005 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:23 AM   #209
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
There's nothing like Summers out here, I've heard that Ned Devine's shows English games at the weekends, but I've never been out for it. Other than that Jimmy's on Elden Street will turn the a tv over for you if you ask and there's no football/hockey on.

I've got Gol TV/FSC/Setanta at chez critch, so I rarely leave the house.

I haven't picked up Setana yet ... but I might drop Sunday ticket and get it instead. I'll have to go by Ned Devines and see if they're showing games sometime. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:30 AM   #210
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Fair warning: Right now, Sentanta is hip deep into reruns (of Lions tour matches, WCQ from several months ago, and matches from the just completed Premier League and Bundesliga seasons.)

But it's still worth it.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:37 AM   #211
Critch
lolzcat

Yeah, Setanta isn't too great just now unless you're a fan of GAA, South African rugby, or want to see the Ireland v Israel World Cup Qualifier for about the 100th time. But they are starting to pick up with the pre-season friendlies, they covered Wycombe v Chelsea and Clyde v Man Utd last week, they've got Olympiakos v Liverpool on Saturday.

Outside their Champions League and World Cup Qualifier coverage, it's not great. But the Champions League and World Cup Qualifier coverage is great.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:06 AM   #212
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware
For anybody following Feyenoord or Dutch soccer: how is Cory Gibbs performing?
Might as well have called it Ping MIJB: how's Cory Gibbs doing?

He picked up a knee injury at the end of he 2004/2005 season in a friendly versus England and there hasn't been much news since then. He's probably still recovering from the surgery.

Also, with the hiring of a new coach Feyenoord is heading to an All-Dutch center of the defense. Gibbs isn't fluent Dutch yet, so his chances to play there are slim at the season start, especially with him coming off injury and thus having to catch up with the rest of the team in the season preperation, which starts August 14th for Feyenoord.

Edit:
I might add that Gibbs was part of the most critized defense in years which may have been caused by having a weird set of nationalities represented. Still, with not so much true defenders on the team, the competition is mostly from converted midfielders, Gibbs may be the left central defender by mid-September again, providing his recovery goes well.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 07-18-2005 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:42 AM   #213
Klinglerware
College Starter

Thanks MIJB for the update.

An interesting point about fluency--just how important is it, in general, to be fluent in the prodiminant language of the team?

Last edited by Klinglerware : 07-18-2005 at 10:43 AM.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:05 PM   #214
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
edit to avoid a dola - it seems that Guiseppe Rossi has declared for Italy and is playing for their under 19 team despite being from new Jersey, so don't get excited about another American at a big club.
If it's the Rossi I'm thinking of (who signed with United from an Italian club last year), he's been in the Italian U-* squads for a few years now. I believe that, under new FIFA rules, he could STILL turn out for the US senior side as long as he has not picked up a full cap with Italy. If he chooses to.

Apparently, he's very, very talented. If I understand correctly, United fans are far more excited about him now, after having had a chance to see him in a full season in the reserves, than when he signed. Supposedly, a creative type who still needs to develop physically. If he turns out as they say, he could form an impressive trio with Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo (without even mentioning Fletcher and Richardson - I don't understand why people were so down on United last year).
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:26 PM   #215
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
If it's the Rossi I'm thinking of (who signed with United from an Italian club last year), he's been in the Italian U-* squads for a few years now.

Yeah, that's the one. He looked pretty good, a deep lying forward. The commentator mentioned a few times that he was from New Jersey, it wasn't til i read about him this morning that I realized he'd opted for Italy. He will still be able to turn out for the US eventually, but I'd guess that'd only be if he turns out not to be good enough for the Italians. He can take over from Christian Vieri as the Italian international that all the English language reporters head for
Old 07-18-2005, 05:49 PM   #216
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Anyone know what channel I can watch Beckham paly tonite?
Old 07-18-2005, 06:22 PM   #217
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
Anyone know what channel I can watch Beckham paly tonite?

It's on FSC at 10.30 eastern time tonight.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:27 PM   #218
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
It's on FSC at 10.30 eastern time tonight.
Fox Soccer Channel! Blah! Should be on ESPN or ESPN 2 to gain a small portion of the cable viewership.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:55 PM   #219
Critch
lolzcat

It's also on the FSN West 2, if that's any good.

It's only a friendly anyway. Real will be playing at half speed making sure they avoid injury, and they'll probably use about 9 subs. I wouldn't be surprised if they lose.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:18 AM   #220
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware
Thanks MIJB for the update.

An interesting point about fluency--just how important is it, in general, to be fluent in the prodiminant language of the team?
Speaking English does the trick usually. Will, at least it does in the Netherlands. But usually it's concidered a 'pre' to be able to speak the language that most teammates think in. If you have to translate what others say, you may be a split-second late to pick up the open attacker and give him no space to make his action.

The problem with Feyenoord was mainly the multi-nationality issue. All seemed to be decent defenders, but if they can't communicate, there's no defense possible.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:42 AM   #221
Critch
lolzcat

Wasn't a bad game last night, Real Madrid looked good for the first 30 minutes til they started taking it easy and in the last 25 minutes when they'd brought on the new signings and young guys who were trying to impress. Not bad for a pre-season friendly though.