Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: What will be the next Solecismic Release?
Front Office Baseball 30 12.45%
Front Office Basketball 10 4.15%
Front Office Football 6 63 26.14%
Front Office Hockey 12 4.98%
Political Sim 42 17.43%
TCY 2 68 28.22%
Other (Please Comment) 16 6.64%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2004, 10:35 AM   #201
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
At least Jim could tell us if the new game is FOF or TCy or both, we don't need release date, just a bit more of info to decide what to do with our gamming life.

Dying in agony!! (damn i'm lucky that my recent wife doesn't read this forums, if she could see me craying out loud as a child for a computer game she would be really upset).

He will.. and soon I suppose.

I really don't think it's TCY, why would he update it and then come out with a new version?

Showing that chart on his website really has me speculating FOF 2005 as I think that's something FOF 2005 will have.

I'm betting same look, but more features... sorry for us graphic whores.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 10:38 AM   #202
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

I don't think it will be anything soon. I don't want to get my hopes up and start a thread of consisting of when it will come out, but this is what this thread has turned into.

For now I will just sit back and wait until something is developed rather than speculate.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 10:47 AM   #203
Pyser
Pro Rookie

if it does end up being fof2005, i wonder what that would do to multiplayer leagues.

im sure the game would be backwards compatible, but even so, youd be playing fof2005 in single player to get the hang of it, while keeping leagues going in fof2004 until, say, the first patch?

i still hope its fof2005, but i hadn't really thought out what it would do to my beloved eNFL...
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 10:48 AM   #204
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd
I don't think it will be anything soon. I don't want to get my hopes up and start a thread of consisting of when it will come out, but this is what this thread has turned into.

For now I will just sit back and wait until something is developed rather than speculate.

Aren't we speculating which game it will be? We've exhausted that, so what's left? Yep, when!

Todd
Old 09-29-2004, 11:24 AM   #205
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Wow unless the features are mind blowing I wont buy FOF2005....
Old 09-29-2004, 11:34 AM   #206
IwasHere
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop
I would buy FOF2005 if it only fixed the MP email system.(or added it)
IwasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 11:57 AM   #207
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop

Some of us wil buy it even if the amount of new stuff is not amazing, as we buy CM every year, OTTP, etc etc, any new feature is welcome and $20 or $30 per year is not a fortune fo a new game. Of course the better the game the happier we will be

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:18 PM   #208
Capital
High School Varsity

As the weeks of both the pro and college football season advance without a word from Jim, is the less chance that a football game will get released. This speculation thing is getting very annoying.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:20 PM   #209
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital
As the weeks of both the pro and college football season advance without a word from Jim, is the less chance that a football game will get released. This speculation thing is getting very annoying.

What makes you say that? Didn't FOF2k4 get released in November last year?
Old 09-29-2004, 12:21 PM   #210
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital
Jim didn't announce FOF 2004 version until the second(?) week of October....
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:26 PM   #211
Capital
High School Varsity

If the above two posts are indeed true, then I maybe my post is clearly mistaken. I bought the game last year, but I just don't remember waiting until the mid-season point to satisfy my football gaming fix. Oh well...
Old 09-29-2004, 12:35 PM   #212
Icy
Pro Starter

Mostly of us would be happy just knowing if there is going to be a new version this year, we don't even know if there is going to be a new version ever. I underestand and fully support developers not giving release dates, it's done when it's done, and i agree with that toavoid speculation, but with other games like CM, ootp, etc we at least know that a new version is going to be developed that year, when is going betatested etc. With Jim we never know anything and for me that is anyoning. Of course everybody has his opinion, he can do what he wants and i'll keep buying his games because are the best football sims around.

Old 09-29-2004, 12:36 PM   #213
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I would buy FOF 2005 without even thinking about it, which is weird because for every other game, I wait for reviews (besides ootp).

I figure I owe Jim something for what he has done for this community and how addicting his games are.

Todd
Old 09-29-2004, 12:44 PM   #214
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLionKing
Jim didn't announce FOF 2004 version until the second(?) week of October....

You're right, just checked and i bought it on 12/11/03 and i think it was just the release date or the following day.

Old 09-29-2004, 12:46 PM   #215
Capital
High School Varsity

I stand corrected about the date, but any info would be nice.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:48 PM   #216
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
You're right, just checked and i bought it on 12/11/03 and i think it was just the release date or the following day.

Careful with your date format, Señor Icy.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:56 PM   #217
Buzzbee
College Starter

Jim is currently working on a patch for FOF2k4. His next game will be Front Office Baseball, released next spring.

There. Now you know.

Jim has stated that one of his goals is to keep his games up to date. Hence, the TCY1.3 patch. Therefore, I'm fairly certain he is working on a patch for FOF2k4. I'm also fairly certain that he won't release FOF6. FOF5 can be improved, certainly, but it is a stable enough product and a good enough product to last a while longer. This is especially true if he provides a patch as I expect. Also, I don't expect he would get as big a bang for the buck with FOF6. Plenty of people are content/happy with FOF5. You would see fewer upgrades to FOF6 as a result, especially since FOF5 was his last release.

He has said before when he started the company he envisioned games in all four major sports. That leaves baseball, basketball, and hockey. I am assuming that since EA had reserved the frontofficebasketball website that this was something that was in the plans. Therefore I assume Jim had laid some groundwork. Also, it is a sport with a moderate amount of competition.

However, I personally believe it will be baseball. It lends itself well to Jim's style of programming. Football has a play that ends in a result. Baseball has a similar structure. A pitcher pitches and there is a result. Baseketball and hockey are more fluid with no real stopping and starting points (basketball to some degree, but not like baseball or football). Also, I believe Jim has said that he increasingly believes you should do something you enjoy. From what others have said Jim enjoys baseball. Therefore that's my belief. It would also give him a little over a year of development time (probably from around the beginning of this year until next March or April.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:58 PM   #218
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Careful with your date format, Señor Icy.

Hehe sorry i meant 12th November 2003 but used Spanish format (day/month/year) insted of English one (month/day/year).
Why do you use it the wrong way?

Old 09-29-2004, 01:04 PM   #219
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Is Jim a politically correct guy?

From his website:
Quote:
Solecismic Software is an entertainment software company dedicated to producing cutting-edge career football simulations.

Todd
Old 09-29-2004, 01:07 PM   #220
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
Jim is currently working on a patch for FOF2k4. His next game will be Front Office Baseball, released next spring.

There. Now you know.

Jim has stated that one of his goals is to keep his games up to date. Hence, the TCY1.3 patch. Therefore, I'm fairly certain he is working on a patch for FOF2k4. I'm also fairly certain that he won't release FOF6. FOF5 can be improved, certainly, but it is a stable enough product and a good enough product to last a while longer. This is especially true if he provides a patch as I expect. Also, I don't expect he would get as big a bang for the buck with FOF6. Plenty of people are content/happy with FOF5. You would see fewer upgrades to FOF6 as a result, especially since FOF5 was his last release.

He has said before when he started the company he envisioned games in all four major sports. That leaves baseball, basketball, and hockey. I am assuming that since EA had reserved the frontofficebasketball website that this was something that was in the plans. Therefore I assume Jim had laid some groundwork. Also, it is a sport with a moderate amount of competition.

However, I personally believe it will be baseball. It lends itself well to Jim's style of programming. Football has a play that ends in a result. Baseball has a similar structure. A pitcher pitches and there is a result. Baseketball and hockey are more fluid with no real stopping and starting points (basketball to some degree, but not like baseball or football). Also, I believe Jim has said that he increasingly believes you should do something you enjoy. From what others have said Jim enjoys baseball. Therefore that's my belief. It would also give him a little over a year of development time (probably from around the beginning of this year until next March or April.
I have read that before not only from you and i don't agree with "FOF2k4 is good enought, nothing to fix for a while". Everything can be improved, there are tons of things that can be added to FOF2k4 every year. I don't mean to fix it as it's great and without almost any bug, so stable, fast, really acurate engine etc. But take a look at he suggestions threads, we suggested tons of new stuff, from economic system improved, player/coaches/scouts personalties, expansion teams, news system, etc etc etc, things that would make it the perfect sim, just look at the CM series and compare how far is any other text sim from them on the inmersion factor. Release just a improved match engine (for example) and mybe you will get just a few sales from the diehard fans, add that kind of stuff suggested above and you will get twice the current sales. Anyway i wouldn't like this thread to become a fight betwen us or as we claiming anything to Jim, i would like it just seen as constructive critics from some of us. I'm worried about my poor english meaning things that i don't want to.

Last edited by Icy : 09-29-2004 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:09 PM   #221
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

He's improved TCY for importing draft classes into FOF. From reading mtaystl's dynasty, seems like it's much better, but it's a small sample.

I think Jim did this for two reasons:

1 - Re-vitalize interest in TCY, making it up-to-date will sell copies to newcomers.
2 - His update to TCY added changes for FOF 2005 that we do not see yet.

Ok, I'm babbling here.....

Todd
Old 09-29-2004, 01:10 PM   #222
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
I have read that before not only from you and i don't agree with "FOF2k4 is good enought, nothing to fix for a while". Everything can be improved, there are tons of things that can be added to FOF2k4 every year. I don't mean to fix it as it's great and without almost any bug, so stable, fast, really acurate engine etc. But take a look at he suggestions threads, we suggested tons of new stuff, from economic system improved, player/coaches/scouts personalties, expansion teams, news system, etc etc etc, things that would make it the perfect sim, just look at the CM series and compare how far is any other text sim from them on the inmersion factor. Release just a improved match engine (for example) and mybe you will get just a few sales from the diehard fans, add that kind of stuff suggested above and you will get twice the current sales. Anyway i wouldn't like this thread to become a fight betwen us or as we claiming anything to Jim, i would like it just seen as constructive critics from some of us. I'm worried about my poor english meaning things that i don't want to.

I agree ICY, the CPU AI alone needs alot of work, imo.

Todd
Old 09-29-2004, 01:11 PM   #223
Schmidty
Coordinator

If it's baseball, he'll lose a customer. OOTP fills all of my baseball needs, especially on the multiplayer end. Jim should stick with football and simply look to perfect it. That's his niche, and that's why I've always bought his products.

The only way I would buy a different sport sim created by Solecismic is if it's basketball.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:17 PM   #224
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
He's improved TCY for importing draft classes into FOF. From reading mtaystl's dynasty, seems like it's much better, but it's a small sample.

I think Jim did this for two reasons:

1 - Re-vitalize interest in TCY, making it up-to-date will sell copies to newcomers.
2 - His update to TCY added changes for FOF 2005 that we do not see yet.

Ok, I'm babbling here.....

Todd

You may be babbling, but I agree with you

All signs point to a next version of FOF which I would buy in a heartbeat. There are so many things that could be improved as others have mentioned in the suggestion thread.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 03:38 PM   #225
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Still no announcement.

And this thread has cracked the top 20 of all time viewed posts.

Last edited by gottimd : 09-29-2004 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:09 PM   #226
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy

I think your English is working pretty well. Certainly better than my spanish.

You are absolutely correct that there are many improvements that can be made and features added to make FOF6 an even better game than FOF5. I never suggested otherwise. Jim could come out with FOFx every year and I'm sure it would improve on the previous version. My point was that since he just released FOF5 last year, it would only make sense that he would move to a different game. Instead of updating FOF again, why not take an old game like TCY (came out in 2001 I think) and update it to TCY2? OR, why not come out with a completely new game?

Remember, Jim was actively working on ANOTHER GAME when a publishing deal fell through. Because that deal didn't work out, Jim updated FOF4 and added Multi-Player - a big feature addition - to give us FOF5. I don't see that happening again.

So, while you are 100% correct that FOF5 has room for improvement (that will always be the case for any game) I can't see using that as the basis to believe his next game will be FOF6. You could use the same argument for TCY2 to be his next game. Probably more so, since TCY is several years old and could benefit from things Jim learned in FOF4 and FOF5.

That is why I'm not sold on the idea that FOF6 will be the next game. I also believe he will go back to the game he was working on before and self publish it (as long as he wasn't working on a political sim).
Old 09-29-2004, 05:52 PM   #227
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
if it does end up being fof2005, i wonder what that would do to multiplayer leagues.

im sure the game would be backwards compatible, but even so, youd be playing fof2005 in single player to get the hang of it, while keeping leagues going in fof2004 until, say, the first patch?

i still hope its fof2005, but i hadn't really thought out what it would do to my beloved eNFL...

I think I remember Jim saying after FOF5 came out that any future FOF wouldn't be backwards compatible, but hopefully his time in IHOF has helped him to see that backwards compatibility would be a necessity...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 08:49 AM   #228
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Damn, no sticky thread yet.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:32 AM   #229
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quik, who has worked for Solecismic in the past, started an FOF groupthink right before FOF multiplayer came out.

Quick just started a TCY groupthink.

Use such info as you will.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 09:52 AM   #230
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

That was started awhile back and hasn't had a post for 10 days, I'm not sure that has any relevance, it is just a thread that Quik is a part of or started, which he has many under his belt.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:53 AM   #231
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
Quik just started a TCY groupthink.
Like a crack dealer offering out free lines to his "friends". I've just lost all respect for you, sir (Quik).

Last edited by sovereignstar : 09-30-2004 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:56 AM   #232
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
That was started awhile back and hasn't had a post for 10 days, I'm not sure that has any relevance, it is just a thread that Quik is a part of or started, which he has many under his belt.
They have been carrying out the Group Think over on the Dynasty board.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 09:57 AM   #233
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Like a crack dealer offering out free lines to his "friends". I've just lost all respect for you, sir (Quik).
Crack is rocks not lines.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 10:03 AM   #234
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea
Crack is rocks not lines.

Thanks for pointing that out and I'm glad I don't really know.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:14 AM   #235
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Well, regardless of what it is, Jim's hints and overtones have been completely political. That could be just because of the election year, or he is dropping hints.

The only problem with the hints is that it seems too obvious. Jim is way too good at this shit for that.

Maybe, it is FOF6 and there is something to do with owners and their votes. Maybe he implemented owner voting on rules and whatnot.

To me, if Jim's hints are about his next game it is too obvious. I don't think Jim would make it that easy.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 10:16 AM   #236
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

The College Years it is offical like a ref wit a gap in his teeth.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:34 AM   #237
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Is there a way to ftp into Jim's home network?

Todd
Old 09-30-2004, 10:37 AM   #238
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

ftp:\\Jimshomenetwork

As noted before, doesn't he usually release things in November? Its probably going to be Front Office Dwarf Tossing.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:05 AM   #239
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
ftp:\\Jimshomenetwork

As noted before, doesn't he usually release things in November? Its probably going to be Front Office Dwarf Tossing.

Tried that, all that happened was it took all of my Solecismic game licenses. Now when I play FOF2004, everyone is named FOF2005. Weird.

Todd
Old 09-30-2004, 11:20 AM   #240
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

That is odd, because when I did it, it updated my screens on FOF2004, and had some cool 2d displays, and even menus for "Media and Press Releases", and my players had an extreme amount of new stats on their player info.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:25 AM   #241
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
Hehe sorry i meant 12th November 2003 but used Spanish format (day/month/year) insted of English one (month/day/year).
Why do you use it the wrong way?

Because we're Americans damn it and we'll be damned if we ever do anything like you dirty Europeans!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 11:44 AM   #242
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That is odd, because when I did it, it updated my screens on FOF2004, and had some cool 2d displays, and even menus for "Media and Press Releases", and my players had an extreme amount of new stats on their player info.

You probably have a 2d game engine as well. Go ahead, rub it in.

Todd
Old 09-30-2004, 12:03 PM   #243
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
You probably have a 2d game engine as well. Go ahead, rub it in.

Todd

And at least 1024x768 screens, nobody works on 800x600 now a days. I don't like at all the small windows for roster, gameplans etc where you need to scroll down a lot.

Old 09-30-2004, 03:39 PM   #244
jcwean
n00b

my vote? Oval Office Politics. Gotta slip "Office" in there somehow...
jcwean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 03:41 PM   #245
JeeberD
General Manager

Nope. Jim has already said no to a political sim...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 09:05 AM   #246
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

No sticky, damn.

Jim did release a "quick fix" to TCY pretty fast, I hope that was just because it was so easy to do.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:09 AM   #247
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I'd be laughing pretty hard if it turned out to be FOF6 and all Jim did to announce it for the first couple of days was change "2004" to "2005" on his website to see who was paying attention...
Old 10-01-2004, 10:00 AM   #248
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I think we need to have someone designated to checkout the website every hour on the hour for that very reason!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 10:41 AM   #249
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Wow, this thread has got a ton of views, I guess everyone is coming here to see if they can find out any info on the release.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:25 AM   #250
jcwean
n00b

oval office politics

no political sim? damn....! i was looking forward to the intern draft function...
jcwean is offline   Reply With Quote