Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #201
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Have faith...I do. I think this could be a great game. I respect USC a lot, but they aren't as invincible as many pundits make them out to be.

I think it could be a great game, too. I think Penn State's defense is talented enough to make things very difficult for USC's offense which has been inconsistent. However, I think USC's defense will win the game for them (barring major injuries in the weeks leading up to the game.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:39 PM   #202
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I think it could be a great game, too. I think Penn State's defense is talented enough to make things very difficult for USC's offense which has been inconsistent. However, I think USC's defense will win the game for them (barring major injuries in the weeks leading up to the game.)

It all depends which Penn State game plan shows up. If it is the gameplan used against Purdue, Iowa, or Indiana, USC will kill Penn State. If they open it up and use the gameplan like Michigan State or Oregon State I think they can hang with USC.

I know USC fans wanted a tougher opponent, but I think this could be the second best bowl game out there. I am excited to go out to the Rose Bowl!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #203
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Interestingly in the AP Poll (which is not used for the BCS), Florida is ranked #1 (followed by Oklahoma, Texas, and Alabama)
Old 12-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #204
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Is Florida about .048 ahead in the coaches poll? I glanced at it and wondered if that was correct.

Last edited by TCY Junkie : 12-07-2008 at 01:27 PM.
TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #205
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Anyone have any insight here? In prediction markets, you can buy anyone but OU and UF very very cheaply. You think Texas has more than a 3-4% chance to get a berth?

The numbers guys on various message boards last night were putting it at about 80-20, depending on who stayed between Florida and Texas in the computer rankings (Utah was a key factor) and the spread in the coaches' and Harris polls. We have more data now--namely the coaches' poll, and the spread is large enough to make up for a lot of the computer disparity. With that, I'd say it's back down to 3-4%.

Some good that does you now.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #206
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
Oh, come on. Lots of people said Oklahoma didn't deserve to be there. I think when people say for two consecutive weeks that Texas deserves to be there because they won head to head (as if that's all that matters in tie between three teams), it at the very least infers that Oklahoma doesn't deserve to be there because they lost head-to-head.
There is a real difference between saying someone deserves to be there more and saying OU didn't deserve to be there. Stoops didn't care about the distinction. He clearly told his team that anyone saying Texas deserved to be in the title game was saying OU didn't deserve to be there at all. That simply is not true. No one said that.

Quote:
Mizzou people pretty much said the first game was a fluke due to turnovers and they should have won. Chase Daniel said this week that he feels better about the game because he wasn't sick (with a cold) this week like he was last year at the Big 12 Championship. Again, I don't think anyone said "that was a fluke" but you can read between the lines (at least I can read between lines on comments, but I'm not incredibly angry right now).
I agree that last year a lot of the Tigers thought the first game was a fluke due to lucky turnovers. I didn't see Daniel's quote about being sick last year (which was true) but how can you draw a line from Chase saying he fells better that he's not sick to "Missouri saying all week our last two wins were a fluke?"

Whatever Stoops needs to motivate his team, that's fine. It just reveals him to be an insecure, egotistical jack. I'm starting to see why his mentor Bill Snyder hates his guts. He's a winner, but so was Barry Switzer.

Oh, I see ...
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:37 PM   #207
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I'm really having a hard time understanding why Poli is so bothered by Carroll's decision to wear home jerseys yesterday. He tried to get the rule changed, it didn't happen in time for the game, so he accepted the established punishment for breaking the rule - losing a timeout.

He knew what the rule was, he knew what the punishment was, and he accepted the punishment. What's the big deal? It'd be one thing if Carroll was bitching about the punishment, but he didn't. Also worth considering is that Neuheisel had no problem with Carroll's actions, and in fact sacrificed a timeout himself in support.

As far as setting an example, pardon me if I disagree with the idea that you should never set an example of breaking a rule. Sometimes there are justifiable reasons for breaking the rules as a means of enacting change. It's obviously nowhere near the same galaxy of importance (and I don't mean to suggest otherwise), but an example of justifiable rule-breaking IMO can be found in the civil disobedience that characterized much of the civil rights movement, a course of action that Martin Luther King learned from the example of Ghandi.

This was an extremely minor rule in the grand scheme of things, and Carroll's actions will spur debate on this rule that probably wouldn't have happened otherwise.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:39 PM   #208
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
It just reveals him to be an insecure, egotistical jack. I'm starting to see why his mentor Bill Snyder hates his guts. He's a winner, but so was Barry Switzer.

Oh, I see ...

I've always praised Stoops because I think he's a top notch recruiter and coach... too bad I don't respect him anymore.

Beat our ass, ok.. but to run the score up with your 1st team offense and defense wasn't necessary.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #209
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He clearly told his team that anyone saying Texas deserved to be in the title game was saying OU didn't deserve to be there at all. That simply is not true. No one said that.

Umm ... since they both couldn't be there, htf could it be interpreted any other way?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-07-2008 at 02:51 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:56 PM   #210
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

The OU coaches and players were fed up with answering questions all week about whether or not they belonged. Yeah, they ran the score up, and I don't blame them one bit.

"I think it's fair to say that enough has been said about us in the last week or two through different entities or from whoever is doing it," Stoops said. "You know, Sam Bradford has sat out a total of two games, if you want to count up possession time over the entire year. Two games. Down the stretch there, he sat out the third quarter of probably three of our last four games. So if you can't get to a championship game and play to the end -- after all that's been talked about this week about us -- then I'm sorry. We're going to play to the end."
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #211
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I've always praised Stoops because I think he's a top notch recruiter and coach... too bad I don't respect him anymore.

Beat our ass, ok.. but to run the score up with your 1st team offense and defense wasn't necessary.

Maybe you guys will return the favor two years from now (or next year in Arlington). You won't hear me complain, starters or not. To quote Billy Tubbs, "if you don't like it, get better."
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #212
sooner333
College Starter

Dola--how come nobody ever got on Tom Osborne for running it up? Is it because he seems like a nice guy?
Old 12-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #213
MrBug708
Head Coach

Brian, you're coming to LA?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:32 PM   #214
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

I'm thinking about it. Depends upon if I can get tickets without paying too high of a premium.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:34 PM   #215
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Dola--how come nobody ever got on Tom Osborne for running it up? Is it because he seems like a nice guy?

Not sure how many message boards there were during Osborne's reign
Old 12-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #216
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I'm thinking about it. Depends upon if I can get tickets without paying too high of a premium.

Plane or tickets to the game?
Old 12-07-2008, 03:39 PM   #217
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
The numbers guys on various message boards last night were putting it at about 80-20, depending on who stayed between Florida and Texas in the computer rankings (Utah was a key factor) and the spread in the coaches' and Harris polls. We have more data now--namely the coaches' poll, and the spread is large enough to make up for a lot of the computer disparity. With that, I'd say it's back down to 3-4%.

Some good that does you now.

Looks like the magic number for Florida in the Harris Poll is going to be a 120 point lead. If they have the same margin in the Harris Poll as they do in the USA Today poll, they would be ahead of Texas by .006.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:53 PM   #218
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Plane or tickets to the game?

Tickets to the game.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:55 PM   #219
sooner333
College Starter

They're already selling Florida vs. OU stuff on the Orange Bowl site. Of course, the picture of the t-shirt can always be changed if Texas somehow gets in there.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #220
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Oh no, I can't stand that prick.

Honestly, I don't care about an ass beating.. I'm a believer that can help a team.. but at least look like you're not trying to humiliate a team.

I'm over it now.. but I don't think OU is a better team for winning by 40 than it would be by winning by 33.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #221
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Maybe you guys will return the favor two years from now (or next year in Arlington). You won't hear me complain, starters or not. To quote Billy Tubbs, "if you don't like it, get better."

We have a LONG way to go before we can hang with Texas or Oklahoma.. unfortunetly.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #222
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

If you were talking to me...yes I am. I leave the 30th and come back the 2nd.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:40 PM   #223
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I guess they aren't going to release the Harris poll until the unveiling of the final BCS standings during the show tonight.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 12-07-2008 at 04:41 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #224
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
If you were talking to me...yes I am. I leave the 30th and come back the 2nd.

Initially ya Where are you staying?
Old 12-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #225
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
They're already selling Florida vs. OU stuff on the Orange Bowl site. Of course, the picture of the t-shirt can always be changed if Texas somehow gets in there.

Particularly interesting since the Orange Bowl will be Virginia Tech against Cincinnati.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #226
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Particularly interesting since the Orange Bowl will be Virginia Tech against Cincinnati.

Odd though it may seem, he's right

That's a featured image on their store site, paired with this one

In other words, the official Orange Bowl site has the UofF-OU shirt already but still has a generic image for their own game.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #227
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Initially ya Where are you staying?

Where ya been, Bug? We talked about this last week! I even mentioned you by name as someone who might be interested in a meet up.

Brian, is your visit (I assume) still contingent on getting tickets at a decent price? Or do you think you have a good source lined up already for those?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:11 PM   #228
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
There is a real difference between saying someone deserves to be there more and saying OU didn't deserve to be there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Umm ... since they both couldn't be there, htf could it be interpreted any other way?
If I say Texas deserves to be there more, that isn't saying OU doesn't deserve to be there at all. No one said OU didn't have a solid case. I didn't hear ANYONE argue that Texas belongs in the title game and OU had no business being in the title game, which is what Bradford was saying. They both deserved to be there, but you could argue one deserved it more. That's not a slight at all.
Quote:
People jumped on him all the time, but like MrBug pointed out we didn't have an online world for everyone to scream about.

There's no reason to take it personally. I have nothing against OU fans. A big part of me hopes to see Bradford a Kansas City Chief one day. I just think Bob Stoops is a world class asshat and I'd like to see somebody to give him the same business. He's lost a lot of respect over the last month.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:14 PM   #229
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I'm over it now.. but I don't think OU is a better team for winning by 40 than it would be by winning by 33.

I'll agree with that statement, just as I would if Missouri scored to cut it to 25--after the first half, it didn't really matter what happened unless Mizzou went on a scoring rampage (which was possible, but definitely not when the last TD was scored). I wouldn't have minded to see Halzle come in either to see what he can do with the starting line since he really hasn't all season except for a drive against Tech which stalled at the one when Stoops put in all the seniors (which is most of the starting line).
Old 12-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #230
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
If I say Texas deserves to be there more, that isn't saying OU doesn't deserve to be there at all. No one said OU didn't have a solid case. I didn't hear ANYONE argue that Texas belongs in the title game and OU had no business being in the title game, which is what Bradford was saying. They both deserved to be there, but you could argue one deserved it more. That's not a slight at all.

People jumped on him all the time, but like MrBug pointed out we didn't have an online world for everyone to scream about.

There's no reason to take it personally. I have nothing against OU fans. A big part of me hopes to see Bradford a Kansas City Chief one day. I just think Bob Stoops is a world class asshat and I'd like to see somebody to give him the same business. He's lost a lot of respect over the last month.

Understandable. I still think that they wanted to prove that they were very deserving and I do know that the buzz around here was that OU was getting a lot of disrespect in the media...not just what Stoops told the team, but what people were feeling. I think there are arguments to be made for both sides, but it seems that the mainstream people all said the same thing and it's easy to interpret that as they belong and since there's room for only one, that you don't.

As to the second point...I honestly don't think Stoops had too much national respect left after losing the bowl games and the two national championship games. But, that's a legit opinion and I'm not going to hold it against you or anything like that. And you're right, it certainly could bite him in the ass sometime.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:30 PM   #231
Logan
Head Coach

Rutgers will take on NC State in the Papa John's Bowl on December 29th. Interesting matchup considering how hot Rutgers has been and State's much-improved play over the past few games.

Friendly wager Radii?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:15 PM   #232
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Georgia to the Capital One vs Michigan State, LSU confirmed as the opponent for Georgia Tech in the Peach.

Maryland vs Nevada in the Humanitarian

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-07-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #233
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Didn't think we were going to go bowling but 6-6 NIU will play La Tech in the Independence Bowl.

The extra practices will be nice.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #234
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Heh. Bet Vegas is anxiously awaiting the arrival of the BYU fan base

(FTR, nothing against them, I'm just not thinking they're going to be big spenders on the Strip)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-07-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:22 PM   #235
Logan
Head Coach

Well the lack of spending on booze and strippers could be augmented by serving meals to a husband and his wives.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #236
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Scout.com has had the last 4 weeks of the BCS 100% and it has UF at .98and UT at .92

Scout.com: 2008 BCS Rankings - FINAL ... OU vs. Florida
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #237
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Heh. Bet Vegas is anxiously awaiting the arrival of the BYU fan base

The Las Vegas Bowl doesn't care about the ancillary revenue to the city of Las Vegas. They only want to make sure that the game is a sellout. BYU has been to the Las Vegas bowl numerous times, and they always buy up more than their share of tickets. Heck, when they come here to play UNLV, they usually have more fans at Sam Boyd Stadium than UNLV has.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #238
digamma
Torchbearer

Coaches' ballots are public in the final coaches' poll: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/graph...2008/flash.htm

There are a few interesting things to note:
1. Mack Brown, for all of his politicking, voted Florida #1 and Texas #2. I wonder if he got bad information. I would have thought his ranking would have been Texas, OU, Florida in that order.

2. Mike Leach voted Texas Tech second and Texas fifth. I guess he hates Mack.

3. Art Briles also voted Texas fifth. Mack really hasn't made many friends in his own conference.

4. By contrast, Mark Richt voted Florida and Alabama #1 and #2.

5. Kyle Whittingham of Utah abstained.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #239
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
The Las Vegas Bowl doesn't care about the ancillary revenue to the city of Las Vegas.

Didn't say the LVB was concerned with it, I said I figured the city was really looking forward to the visit.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:00 PM   #240
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Coaches' ballots are public in the final coaches' poll: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/graph...2008/flash.htm

Thought it was interesting to see how many of the voters are now unemployed.

Tommy Bowden, Sylvester Croom, Phil Fulmer, Joe Glenn, Rocky Long, Tommy Tuberville, and Tyrone Willingham.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:04 PM   #241
Galaxy
Coordinator

Ok, Fox...This is not the NCAA basketball tournament. Stop trying to hype like it is.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #242
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Wow. Gary Pinkel hates the small conferences for some reason. He put Utah at #15 while no one else had them below 9 and Boise St at 16 for him, while no one else had them below 11. He also had Georgia Tech at 9, easily their highest.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:06 PM   #243
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Didn't say the LVB was concerned with it, I said I figured the city was really looking forward to the visit.

The revenue to the city from this game is negligible. For instance, the typical Mountain West fan would obviously bring more gambling revenue than the BYU fan, but there aren't enough of them to make a difference. Any other MWC team would be lucky to bring 5,000 fans, while BYU brings 20,000 fans to this game, and they do spend money on hotels and restaurants. The security staff at Sam Boyd Stadium loves the BYU fans. They don't get into drunken brawls, and they're the most well behaved fans that you'll ever see.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #244
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
The revenue to the city from this game is negligible.

Even this year?
Old 12-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #245
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
2. Mike Leach voted Texas Tech second and Texas fifth. I guess he hates Mack.

If you were Leach, wouldn't you be pissed? The guy spent the last 3 weeks of politicking by diminishing your team and how you beat him. Wouldn't you vote yourself better than him head-to-head?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:13 PM   #246
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
He also had Georgia Tech at 9, easily their highest.

Not all that "easily", Tommy Bowden had GT at #10, Mike Bielema had them at #11.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:13 PM   #247
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Where ya been, Bug? We talked about this last week! I even mentioned you by name as someone who might be interested in a meet up.

Brian, is your visit (I assume) still contingent on getting tickets at a decent price? Or do you think you have a good source lined up already for those?

I got my tickets from a guy who isn't going to the game but bought them for me at face value. I am not sure the exact location where i am staying. We are staying at my friend's uncle's house. His uncle will be in Pittsburgh and is letting us stay there for free. He told us it is 15 minutes from the Airport and 45 minutes from the Rose Bowl.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:13 PM   #248
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
If you were Leach, wouldn't you be pissed? The guy spent the last 3 weeks of politicking by diminishing your team and how you beat him. Wouldn't you vote yourself better than him head-to-head?

SI

I would think that you would want two teams from your conference in the national title game (yes, I realize that the conference pay-out is the same for having two BCS teams), so you might rank them Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Texas.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #249
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I got my tickets from a guy who isn't going to the game but bought them for me at face value. I am not sure the exact location where i am staying. We are staying at my friend's uncle's house. His uncle will be in Pittsburgh and is letting us stay there for free. He told us it is 15 minutes from the Airport and 45 minutes from the Rose Bowl.

Awesome, sounds like West LA area, maybe Manhattan Beach. Is your friend's uncle wealthy?

Sounds like a good base out of which to operate.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #250
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone think that if Texas beats Ohio State handily and Oklahoma beats Florida that the AP will vote Texas their champion?