Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #201
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Actually its Chris Mortenson who's likely to lose his job over this, being the first (and only?) to "report" that the Chiefs were already talking terms with Shanahan-this just hours after they had fired Edwards and not interviewed any HC candidates let alone the required minority candidate.
Actually it was the NBC affiliate here in KC that reported it Wednesday night. In his segment on ESPN yesterday, Mortenson said Thursday his sources didn't think it was likely but by Friday were saying a deal was imminent.

I draw a distinction between what Mortenson said -- which was that he said he had two sources who said Shanahan was goint to KC -- and what Schefter said -- which was a guarantee that there was no way Shanahan was going to KC and that there had been no contact. Schefter was reporting based on sources -- he portrayed himself as the source. Mortenson didn't say Shanahan was 100% going to KC but Schefter did say Shanahan was 100% not going to KC.

ESPN is definitely backtracking. The word in KC circles is that the Chiefs are trying to get Winston Moss in for an interview to satisfy the Rooney Rule. Supposedly the Chiefs asked for a ruling from the NFL on whether "interviewing" Herm Edwards in regard to keeping his job satisfied the rule and were told no. So apprently we will wait until Moss or another minority candidate comes in for an interview before we get the next coach.

The three rumored names I keep seeing and hearing are Shanahan, Haley and Parcells. No one here thinks Gailey is getting the job, except for Bob Gretz who is surgically attached to Carl Peterson. The Parcells rumors are simply related to his relationship with Pioli.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #202
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post

ESPN is definitely backtracking. The word in KC circles is that the Chiefs are trying to get Winston Moss in for an interview to satisfy the Rooney Rule. Supposedly the Chiefs asked for a ruling from the NFL on whether "interviewing" Herm Edwards in regard to keeping his job satisfied the rule and were told no. So apprently we will wait until Moss or another minority candidate comes in for an interview before we get the next coach.

Geez, what a well-intentioned buy incredibly demeaning and counter-productive policy.

There will always be this label for guys like Winston Moss that will do nothing but hurt his career in the long run - he's a "Rooney Rule interviewee".

The sad thing is that the rule will get credit for the increased number of minority coaches in the league. But I'm not convinced the rule has more of a posltitive effect in that regard than mere time.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #203
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

So... how many coaches still have jobs from this last season?
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #204
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Geez, what a well-intentioned buy incredibly demeaning and counter-productive policy.

There will always be this label for guys like Winston Moss that will do nothing but hurt his career in the long run - he's a "Rooney Rule interviewee".

The sad thing is that the rule will get credit for the increased number of minority coaches in the league. But I'm not convinced the rule has more of a posltitive effect in that regard than mere time.
I will disagree. Because Mike Tomlin is often thought to have gotten his job because of the Rooney Rule, not too surprising considering Rooney owns the Steelers, but still. And then you have college football with no Rooney Rule and a paucity of minority coaches.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:59 PM   #205
Taur
High School Varsity

Quote:
Right now, Chiefs fans seem to think the new coach will either be Todd Haley from the Cards (NO!)
Even if Haley brings Warner with him? They, then pick up Crabtree in the draft and all of a sudden the Chiefs are scoring 30+ per game.

Another Crazy turn around.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:05 PM   #206
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

This may or may not lad to some changes in Philly, but I'm gonna say a prayer for a damn good coach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN
PHILADELPHIA -- Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson has had a recurrence of cancer, this time in his spine, team officials said Thursday.

Eagles trainer Rick Burkholder told The Philadelphia Inquirer and Daily News that Johnson on Monday was diagnosed with melanoma skin cancer that has formed a tumor in his back. Johnson has begun radiation treatments at Bryn Mawr Hospital, the trainer said.

The tumor is in the same area where Johnson's skin cancer was diagnosed in 2001, Burkholder told the newspapers. Johnson also has cancer in other areas of his body, Burkholder said, but he declined to elaborate. The team did not offer a prognosis.

"Who knows where it tracked to from there, but his symptoms came from the spine," Burkholder told The Inquirer. "Now there are some other areas in his body [that have cancer], but I'm not going to get into where else some other stuff is. They will all be treated together. "

No surgery is scheduled and Johnson, who has been defensive coordinator for 10 years under coach Andy Reid, intends to continue coaching, Burkholder told the newspapers.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:13 AM   #207
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'll be praying for him as well. Great coach and seems to be a great guy from everything I've ever heard.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:14 AM   #208
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Anyone hear the Simone Rice rant against Chucky last night? I don't recall a coach ever getting slammed so badly by a former player or so many players being so vocal in their criticism of a coach after he left.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-30-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:54 PM   #209
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Jimmy Raye as the 49ers new Offensive Coordinator. Underwhelming.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:19 PM   #210
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone here mention the Packers hired Kevin Greene to coach OLBs last week? I hope he shows Hawk and the others how to do a proper body slam and how to clothesline a guy from the top rope.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #211
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

Mike Tomlin got a token interview by the Steelers and ended up passing on two in-house guys to hire him and I think that worked out well. Broncos gave Raheem Morris a token interview and the Bucs ended up hiring him as coach a few weeks later, after thinking they might have a young guy of their own who could get it done.

I don't think the rule hurts anybody and I think if teams know who they want from the start, is the only time that it could be a "waste of someone's time" but in the end, if the issue to provide exposure to people who historically get overlooked for jobs, I say, the process is worthwhile in a situation where there are a limited number of jobs anyway.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:42 PM   #212
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Tom Cable is the head coach of the Raiders. Kansas City is the only team now without a head coach.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:21 PM   #213
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Apparently Jim Fassel is going to be the head coach of the UFL team in Las Vegas.

Here's their site: http://www.ufl-football.com/home

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-03-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:36 PM   #214
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Tom Cable is the head coach of the Raiders. Kansas City is the only team now without a head coach.

Gee it took them how long to go with the guy they already knew everything about?
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:42 PM   #215
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Gee it took Al Davis how long to go with the guy he already knew everything about?
fixed.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #216
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Gee it took them how long to go with the guy they already knew everything about?

They took so long desperately trying to get anyone else to take the job. Obviously nobody did.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:19 PM   #217
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Fox Sports says Haley has taken the Chiefs head coaching job. Interesting journey to get here but it pretty much looked like it was heading this way for the last week and a half.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:02 AM   #218
Thomkal
Head Coach

*sigh* knew the Cards were going to lose Haley so was prepared for it, but was hoping against hope he'd not get an offer. Good move by the Chiefs matching a young owner with a young GM and a young coach. Should pay off for them.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:02 AM   #219
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like Mike Shanahan plans on moving. His mansion is up for sale. Pimped out pad to say the least. Asking $17 million for it. I want a golf simulator in my house........

http://www.pruittmarketingresources.com/SWG2/20CH.html

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-27-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #220
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Looks like Mike Shanahan plans on moving. His mansion is up for sale. Pimped out pad to say the least. Asking $17 million for it. I want a golf simulator in my house........

http://www.pruittmarketingresources.com/SWG2/20CH.html

He's moving into his new mansion, isn't he?

Parker: Ex-judge hangs out shingle - The Denver Post
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote