Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-09-2006, 10:14 PM   #201
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
It wasn't nearly as bad as the roughing the QB call.

Here's straight from the NCAA on why it was not a bad call. It was called like it was written in the rulebook:

hxxp://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/!ut/p/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Y_QjzKLN4j3CQXJgFjGpvqRqCKOcAFfj_zcVH1v_QD9gtzQiHJHRUUAc0tpTA!!/delta/base64xml/L3dJdyEvUUd3QndNQSEvNElVRS82XzBfTFU!?CONTENT_URL=http://www1.ncaa.org/eprise/main/playingrules/football/2005/index

Page 118 of the PDF, Line L

"No player shall use his helmet (including the face mask) to butt or ram
an opponent"

Since the replays showed that he clearly hit him flush with his facemask before any other part of his body hit him, it was the correct NCAA call.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:14 PM   #202
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Should have used the smiley. It was a joke. I know who called both plays and I know whose responsibility lies where. That said, the replay clearly shows the line judge with a clear view of the play and a clear view of the hand on the mask as it's being ripped around. He should have seen it.

It wasn't nearly as bad as the roughing the QB call. That's the only thing that allowed Texas to even get in the end zone tonight.

No problem. I am just a bit defensive of refs now. I just started doing High School Varsity, Quad A, and I have a whole new respect for those who do college and NFL. I think the high school game is fast, I cant imagine how fast the game is at the next 2 levels.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:16 PM   #203
HerRealName
College Prospect

That helmet to helmet call was terrible. I'm not sure the two helmets even touched and he certainly didn't lead with his helmet.

Like I said earlier this week, I wouldn't trade Troy Smith for any QB in college football.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:19 PM   #204
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Since the replays showed that he clearly hit him flush with his facemask before any other part of his body hit him

Clear as mud.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:21 PM   #205
TroyF
Coordinator

Cartman,

Defend the call all you want. It was horrible. The defensive player was not trying to injure the QB, wasnt' leading with his helmut and didn't do anything illegal on the play. The ref shed some tears for the poor Texas QB who was getting his ass kicked and threw them a bone. It was terrible.

If the helmuts touched at all, it was barely. Later in the game a Texas defensive end broke free and jumped on top of Smith. I can assure you the two helmuts connected at some point there. In fact, I'd bet that on 80% of all sacks, the helmuts connect. it was a BS call that could have had major implications in the outcome of the game. Piss poor officiating.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:22 PM   #206
Arctus
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
In the Georgia-SC game when GA had a 15-0 lead and the Gamecocks were driving, The announcers said that you should kick the EP here and go for the 2 later. I have never understood this philosophy. In any situation where you're going to need a 2-pt. conversion (down by 11, 15, 22, 23, etc.) it seems to make more sense to go for the 2 pt. conversion right away. If you miss it, then you know you need to two more scores to win. If you make it, you don't need to hurry quite as much. However, if you kick the EP and then miss the 2pt. conversion on the next drive, then you might be looking at an onside kick as your best chance.Hhowever, whenever a coach goes for the two first, the announcers talk about it like it's the most vile thing a human being could do in this universe.

If you go for the two and make it, the opposing coach is gameplanning as if one score ties the game.

If you kick the XP, the opposing coach is gameplanning as if one score ties the game.

If you miss the two point conversion, the opposing coach can now take advantage of the fact that its a two score game.

Making the two doesn't really "turn the heat up" on the opposing team.

Missing a two takes some pressure off of them though.
Arctus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:26 PM   #207
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctus View Post
If you go for the two and make it, the opposing coach is gameplanning as if one score ties the game.

If you kick the XP, the opposing coach is gameplanning as if one score ties the game.

If you miss the two point conversion, the opposing coach can now take advantage of the fact that its a two score game.

Making the two doesn't really "turn the heat up" on the opposing team.

Missing a two takes some pressure off of them though.

It's not about turning up the pressure. It's about getting the most information possible. If you make it, you only need one more score. If you miss it, you'll need two more scores. It's better to get this information sooner rather than later if you ask me.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:27 PM   #208
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

TT and UTEP just became a game again
Old 09-09-2006, 10:28 PM   #209
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Cartman,

Defend the call all you want. It was horrible. The defensive player was not trying to injure the QB, wasnt' leading with his helmut and didn't do anything illegal on the play. The ref shed some tears for the poor Texas QB who was getting his ass kicked and threw them a bone. It was terrible.

If the helmuts touched at all, it was barely. Later in the game a Texas defensive end broke free and jumped on top of Smith. I can assure you the two helmuts connected at some point there. In fact, I'd bet that on 80% of all sacks, the helmuts connect. it was a BS call that could have had major implications in the outcome of the game. Piss poor officiating.

I agree that helmets touch on 80% of tackles. But if the helmets are the first parts of the tackler/tacklee to touch, that is all the rule is written to address. There is nothing in the rules to instruct the referee to determine intent or if the helmet was led or not. If the helmets are the first thing to touch, it's a penalty. If it happens to a QB in the pocket, it is more likely to be seen and called than a RB or receiver out in the field.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:34 PM   #210
Swaggs
Coordinator

Is the TT/UTEP game on TV somewhere?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:37 PM   #211
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Is the TT/UTEP game on TV somewhere?

I've got it on CSTV, channel 610 on DirecTV.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:42 PM   #212
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm still watching it on Yahoo since we don't get it here

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:45 PM   #213
cartman
Death Herald

The Miners are up by 1 at home, 25-24, going into the 4th quarter. They'll start the quarter with 4th and 9, in FG range.

Last edited by cartman : 09-09-2006 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:47 PM   #214
cartman
Death Herald

and they make the FG to go up by 4.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:47 PM   #215
cartman
Death Herald

dola,

is Jeeber afraid to post and jinx UTEP?
Old 09-09-2006, 10:49 PM   #216
st.cronin
General Manager

I would like to apologize to Mr. Troy Smith for calling him overrated. I think I had him confused with Justin Zwick or somebody.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:49 PM   #217
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
dola,

is Jeeber afraid to post and jinx UTEP?

According to the Member List, he hasn't posted since yesterday

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-09-2006 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:50 PM   #218
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I would like to apologize to Mr. Troy Smith for calling him overrated. I think I had him confused with Justin Zwick or somebody.

Agreed.

Ohio State was way better than I had expected. I honestly thought Texas would beat them by 10+ today.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:50 PM   #219
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
According to the Member List, he hasn't posted since yesterday

SI

Oh, that's right. I forgot that he is actually at the game!
Old 09-09-2006, 10:58 PM   #220
cartman
Death Herald

Texas Tech settles for a FG to cut the UTEP lead to 1 with about 11 minutes left in the game.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:00 PM   #221
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

28-27 miners, wow great game so far. keep it up utep
Old 09-09-2006, 11:03 PM   #222
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Dang: 3 and out

SI

Old 09-09-2006, 11:08 PM   #223
cartman
Death Herald

Tech gets a quick TD and 2pt conversion to take a 35-28 lead
Old 09-09-2006, 11:10 PM   #224
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

SI

Old 09-09-2006, 11:11 PM   #225
cartman
Death Herald

Carson's little bro throws an INT on their first play. Not looking good for the Miners.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:14 PM   #226
cartman
Death Herald

and UTEP dodges a bullet. TT goes 3 and out, and misses the FG attempt.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:14 PM   #227
General Mike
Pro Starter

Come on UTEP. Mess em up.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:14 PM   #228
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Thumbs up

This is part of my post from the OSU/Texas part 2 deux thread with tonight's thoughts added in [brackets].

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu View Post
If OSU's offense plays petal to the metal all game, I think they have a shot at beating Texas. I just wonder if OSU will have enough offense and (more importantly) enough defense to pull it out.

Concerns for OSU:
Offense plays the whole game [OSU did a fantastic job on offense tonight. The running game wasn't outstanding, but the passing game got off to a great start and made the plays when they needed them.]
Field goals (each kicker went 0/1 on FG's last game) [1/2 on FG's tonight, and the make was BARELY through the upright]
Defense, defense, defense [D was much improved tonight. The Texas running game was still too strong, but OSU made a lot more open field tackles and never gave up a truly big play]
Big road game in September [They never seemed phased and played two better halves than Texas]

Concerns for Texas:
Inexperience at QB [McCoy did okay, making some decent plays. That INT had the worst timing and pretty much took the crowd out of the game for the entire 2nd half]
Pressure of repeating? [Well, Texas is behind the 8-ball now as far as repeating. They're a very good team and will win at least 10, but they'll have to win out to even think about going back to the championship game]

OSU would have to be at least +2 on the turnover battle to pull this one out.
[They did exactly this: 2 Texas TO's that led to 10 OSU points and ZERO OSU TO's]

OSU will miss several FG's but will show brilliance on offense.
[They were 1/2 on FG's, but it barely went through the uprights. This is still a major concern for OSU for the near future.]

Prediction:
Texas 34
OSU 28

[So thankfully I was wrong on the prediction OSU's D overall played much better than most people expected them to. And the MLB James Laurinitis could be the next stud in the long line of fantastic LB's to come from Ohio State. Both TO's forced were because of HIM.]

Great game by Ohio State tonight and I'm glad my pessimism about their chances was wrong
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:15 PM   #229
RendeR
Coordinator

REVENGE.

tOSU gets nipped in the last minute last season, they roll into enemy territory and hand them their ass tonight.

The good points:

Troy Smith is turning into a damn fine QB, he's using his brain and his arm more and his legs less. All things I like in a QB.

tOSU defense played a superb game. THe linebacking corps is coming around and the secondary guys are figuring out how to cover well. This defense will only get better.

tOSU Offensive line: holy shit these guys are good.

The bad things:

The Texas QB, while understandably having some freshmen problems I think he needs to work on his accuracy and he SERIOUSLY needs to learn how to not get himself or his receivers killed out there. He took a huge number of big hits that he probably could have at least made less painful, and he hung his RB and a couple receivers out there like giant freaking targets for the defense to hammer.

The Texas D. Not really sure what went wrong here, they played decently and showed some amazing speed. I really thought they'd be a tougher nut to crack. I know the injuries played a part, but Smith and company ran over them like a steamroller on way too many plays.

Texas coaching staff: These guys played WAY too conservatively. They needed to stretch the field more and pound the ball when the safeties and linebackers backed off.

Lastly, the officiating thus far has been awful across the board. Someone forgot to tell the zebras that pulling on the jersey is HOLDING, and while I applaud the ref for feeling sorry for McCoy and calling a roughing penalty, the call was wrong, period. There was no leading with the helmet, there was no blow to the head, there was no slamming him into the ground. The defensive end played that perfectly. Without that pathetic call Texas gets shutout.

overall I really enjoyed the game I kept waiting for something bad to happen and for once it never did.

Go BUCKEYES!
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:15 PM   #230
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

come on utep we want a game tying drive...
Old 09-09-2006, 11:19 PM   #231
cartman
Death Herald

UTEP converts a 4th & 5 to keep their hopes alive
Old 09-09-2006, 11:21 PM   #232
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

UTEP is giving tech all they can handle tonite. miners look like a pretty solid team this year
Old 09-09-2006, 11:21 PM   #233
cartman
Death Herald

TD UTEP!!!!

Now for the XP. Are they gonna pull an Air Force, or go for OT?
Old 09-09-2006, 11:21 PM   #234
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

TOUCHDOWN MINERS!!!
Old 09-09-2006, 11:22 PM   #235
General Mike
Pro Starter

UTEP ties it up with 1:04 left.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:22 PM   #236
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

woohoo he made it (whew) hey look at that 1000 posts

Last edited by k0ruptr : 09-09-2006 at 11:22 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:22 PM   #237
cartman
Death Herald

They tie with a XP.

1:03 left. That is a lot of time for the Texas Tech offense to work with, but they are out of timeouts
Old 09-09-2006, 11:25 PM   #238
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

WOO!

SI

Old 09-09-2006, 11:26 PM   #239
cartman
Death Herald

Ooh, TT might have been able to try a long FG, but there was a holding call that wiped out a 25 yard pass. Looks like OT, unless the Hail Mary works.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:28 PM   #240
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

OT BABY
Old 09-09-2006, 11:29 PM   #241
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Jeebs must be going nuts
Old 09-09-2006, 11:29 PM   #242
cartman
Death Herald

Roughing the passer, one more try for Tech
Old 09-09-2006, 11:29 PM   #243
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
Haltime: UGA 15, USC 0

Tereshinski gets hurt in UGA's second offensive series and is replaced by the true freshman Matthew Stafford. Stafford makes one freshman mistake, but makes more good plays than bad ones. He'll make some mistakes, but he's a game-changer. It was obvious on his film from high school, but it has become more clear today that this kid has a CANNON for a right arm. He'll definitely make defenses respect the medium-to-long pass. As I had surmised, Richt's comments to the press were pure coachspeak; this kid was going to play against USC from the start of the season. It just so happened that JT3 got hurt early and sped up him coming in.

I hate to hear about JT3 being injured. I hope he's okay.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:29 PM   #244
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Going to OT

SI

Old 09-09-2006, 11:30 PM   #245
cartman
Death Herald

12 men on the field. Yet one more try for Tech
Old 09-09-2006, 11:30 PM   #246
General Mike
Pro Starter

UTEP is gonna kill themselves with the penalties.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:31 PM   #247
cartman
Death Herald

51 yard FG attempt for Tech...
Old 09-09-2006, 11:31 PM   #248
kingfc22
Head Coach

This Oregon/Fresno St. game is heating up. Each team has made some huge hits.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:31 PM   #249
cartman
Death Herald

no good.

and more importantly, no flags. We are now officially going to OT.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:33 PM   #250
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

ya oregon needs to get there game together, I'm a huge fan of dixon at QB but fresno isnt looking bad ... hopefully the ducks can pull this one out