Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #201
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm probably the exception but Spotify actually makes it more likely that I'll eventually hear the full album, and usually within 1-3 weeks of release.

I definitely listen to far more full albums, but I find I rarely follow up on ones I like. There's just too much stuff. I also find myself forgetting if I've listened to random albums that I'm pretty sure I've listened to in the past.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm listening to far more music, but I don't know if I'm as attached to the music I'm listening to as I was in the past. I guess its turned into a quality v. quantity thing for me.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #202
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I definitely listen to far more full albums, but I find I rarely follow up on ones I like. There's just too much stuff. I also find myself forgetting if I've listened to random albums that I'm pretty sure I've listened to in the past.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm listening to far more music, but I don't know if I'm as attached to the music I'm listening to as I was in the past. I guess its turned into a quality v. quantity thing for me.

The bigger change in my listening pattern -- not necessarily related to Spotify -- seems to be becoming more & more track oriented vs album oriented. That's more of an iTunes et al influenced thing for me I think,(as well as budgetary concerns) plus digging for new material on YouTube (where individual tracks are obviously much more common than full albums).

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-23-2012 at 12:54 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #203
Grover
Pro Starter

This is generally far away from anything I listen to in terms of style, but I'm hooked. Love her voice.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #204
Grover
Pro Starter

Old 05-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #205
whomario
Pro Starter

Thanks Grover, totally forgot about that album (Heaven) and after hearing it today i think it is positively amazing once more Maybe some people will whine about it not being as edgy and angry or as dark as "Lisbon", but i think after an album like that itīs only logical to go that route a little bit and it hasnīt hurt the songs in the least.

Iīve also been meaning to post a song here for ages but allways forgotz, a little gem of a song called "King and Lionheart" by the band Of Monsters And Men

I dunno, itīs just one of those songs i absolutely canīt stop listening to, literally spent dozens of hours listening to it all year and half an hour just yesterday sitting at the lake and daydreaming to it running on replay.

I also have no clue how the album got to No6 in the US (and no4 over here), almost as inexplicable as Mumford and Sons a while back. I mean, itīs a band from freaking Iceland making basically folk music. Not that itīs not brilliant, it just really surprised me when i read about that.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #206
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
I also have no clue how the album got to No6 in the US (and no4 over here), almost as inexplicable as Mumford and Sons a while back.

I've long since stopped trying to figure out what sells.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #207
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Of Monsters And Men is one of the few acts on the radio that I have enjoyed. They definitely remind me of some other artists I like as well.

I don't buy near the albums I use to, but I thought Mumford and Sons's last album was legitimately one of the best albums of that year and one of the best albums I have from start to finish with no real throw away parts. I have no idea what potential they have long term but that record was amazing.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #208
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

I don't buy near the albums I use to, but I thought Mumford and Sons's last album was legitimately one of the best albums of that year and one of the best albums I have from start to finish with no real throw away parts. I have no idea what potential they have long term but that record was amazing.

+1

Old 05-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #209
Grover
Pro Starter

I love finding video of shows I was at.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #210
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I liked a few of the synth songs on the Drive soundtrack and one of the "if you liked this, you might like this" recommendations was the Naked And Famous CD "Passive Me, Aggresive You". It certainly has a new wavy type feel. The CD could be 4-5 years old, for all I know. I don't really follow music very close.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #211
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Discovered all sorts of new (to me) tracks & artists this week, maybe none that I'm liking more than a Finnish band called Amoral. Backtracking a little bit I think I like their stuff that looks to be from about 2009 better than the brand new track I'm going to share here, this is a little heavier than their previous sound IMO but if you're among the few here who share my taste doing some searching and check these guys out.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #212
korme
Go Reds

I finally like a Black Keys song. Lonely Boy is great. Makes me curious about their album.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #213
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Discovered all sorts of new (to me) tracks & artists this week, maybe none that I'm liking more than a Finnish band called Amoral. Backtracking a little bit I think I like their stuff that looks to be from about 2009 better than the brand new track I'm going to share here, this is a little heavier than their previous sound IMO but if you're among the few here who share my taste doing some searching and check these guys out.

His voice seriously sounds like it came from the 80's.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #214
Easy Mac

New "Hot Chip" and "Tallest Man on Earth"
First Listen : NPR

New "Beach Boys", "Joe Walsh" and "Temper Trap" amongst others
Play Full Music Albums Free - Spinner
Old 06-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #215
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Also, third the Of Monsters and Men LP recommend. I spent a good month or two with that one on constant rotation.

Speaking of rotation. I'm just doing a constantly Best of 2012 playlist that I update when the spirit hits.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-04-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #216
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

What's up with the sudden surge of rock cover tunes?

Godsmack has a big hit with Rocky Mountain Way and Charm City Devils have their breakthrough with Man of Constant Sorrow but there's also:
Love & Death - Whip It
Candlelight Red - She's Got the Look
Eve to Adam - School's Out
XFactor1 - The Stroke *not the single but it provided their Rock chart debut this week anyway

That's a lot of covers in a very short time frame, at least to my recollection of what's usually out there
Old 06-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #217
britrock88
Pro Starter

Picked Dave Mason's "Alone Together" back up after a long time tonight; it's a great album (if a little blue).

(In case you don't know, Dave Mason wrote "Feelin' Alright" as a member of traffic in '67/'68, before he put out this album in '70.)
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #218
Grover
Pro Starter

They've still got it.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #219
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Here's my regular weekly blog post that has links to both my weekly top 40 playlist for Spotify (all rock currents) as well as my current YouTube playlist (current, recurrent and new rock/metal, close to 200 songs)

Ready to Rock (weekly playlist) | Jon's Three Cents
Old 06-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #220
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Michigan brewery turning down Nickelback music video offer getting new life online | MLive.com

A Michigan Brewery company shoots down Nickleback.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #221
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So, I dunno if this is a common thing or it's a just me thing

The other day Amazon had a ton of albums for .99. At that price point I buy fairly everything I might have a bit of interest in. Then you listen to the tracks and realize "hey, that sounds familiar". And realize the song is the theme song to some commercial(in this case, Bing).

Anyways, this Lumineers album feels like it was worth a dollar.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #222
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Also bought Kimbra-Vows. Didn't realize she was the chick from that Gotse song. Anyways, interesting beats and vocals. It's a pretty solid record on first listen. I think she would be well served to collaborate with some hip hop artists as she would most likely be able to do some amazing hooks.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #223
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Beer, guitars, action figures ... what's not to love? New Medicine's latest video is for American Wasted, got kind of a light Beastie Boys vibe going here. Don't know if I'm wild about the song, but I thought it was fun enough to share.
(spoilered to help reduce lag)

Spoiler
Old 07-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #224
stevew
Hall Of Famer

6 months into 2012-
No signs of Dr. Dre Detox
No signs of Jay Electronica's debut CD either.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:27 AM   #225
Grover
Pro Starter

New album out on September 4th. One of my favorite bands of the 2000s. Their first three albums are simply outstanding and must owns. Other songs to check out to get acquainted with them: Las Cruces Jail, Steady Rolling, The Deader

Old 07-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #226
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Glad to see someone who is a Two Gallants fan. Saw them live last year and it was outstanding.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #227
Easy Mac

The new Dirty Projectors is the first album I've had on repeat for a couple of years.

Also, the hipsters guide to upcoming hipster releases. It will be a busy couple of months.
http://pitchfork.com/news/47063-the-...ming-releases/
Old 07-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #228
whomario
Pro Starter

Thanks for the link/list !

Looking forward to the new Gaslight Anthem, Antony & the Johnsons, Mono and Stars (album canīt be as bland as the first single ...)

Also Bat For Lashes (10/15) is sth that iīll get as soon as released, Two Suns was one of the best albums iīve ever listened to.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 07-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #229
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Glad to see someone who is a Two Gallants fan. Saw them live last year and it was outstanding.

I've seen them four or five times. Have never been left disappointed.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #230
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Currently downloading Frank Ocean's album as we speak, it's out on iTunes a week early.

"Sweet Life" sounded amazing.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #231
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
Currently downloading Frank Ocean's album as we speak, it's out on iTunes a week early.

So tempted to get it early. It's totally holding up to the hype from what I can see.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #232
Easy Mac

It's streaming on his tumblr
Old 07-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #233
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Linkage to my weekly blog post, which in turn has links to both my current 40 song Spotify playlist and my larger nearly 200 song YouTube playlist.

This week's adds to Spotify include the latest from Janus, Soulicit and Surrender the Fall. This week's adds to YouTube include new Kiss, Fozzy, The Darkness, Crossfade and that song from New Medicine I linked here a few days ago.

Ready to Rock (weekly playlists) | Jon's Three Cents
Old 07-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #234
britrock88
Pro Starter

Lots of Brian Eno. Good studying music. If you have suggestions for more good studying music, I'm all ears.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #235
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Had an itch for some Gregory Brothers this afternoon, which led to the discovery of Walk Off The Earth...

Which in turn led to the discovery of Sarah Blackwood...

Which also led to Creepshow...

Today was a good day
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #236
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Father John Misty. This dude was part of Fleet Foxes and when you hear it, that'll make sense. It's so good though. I can't stop listening to it. Seems it's going to supplant Fiona Apple from my "press play and just play all day and all night" album spot.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #237
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Had an itch for some Gregory Brothers this afternoon, which led to the discovery of Walk Off The Earth...

Which in turn led to the discovery of Sarah Blackwood...

Which also led to Creepshow...

Today was a good day

Walk of the Earth is huge on YouTube - check out their cover of "Somebody that I used to know". I saw them in concert two weeks ago and they were pretty damn good.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #238
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Walk of the Earth is huge on YouTube - check out their cover of "Somebody that I used to know". I saw them in concert two weeks ago and they were pretty damn good.

That was their breakout video. One of the best straight up covers I have heard.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #239
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
So tempted to get it early. It's totally holding up to the hype from what I can see.

I'm resisting the urge to spend full price as of now. Seems like most stuff will get a good sale if you wait.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #240
Easy Mac

New Passion Pit streaming at NPR

First Listen: Passion Pit, 'Gossamer' : NPR
Old 07-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #241
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I decided to pick up Channel Orange. Trying to get into the album, which is a bit difficult IMO. Will be interesting to see how it continues to sell over the next few weeks given the lack of a hit single(top song is about 60th on iTunes).
Old 07-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #242
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I decided to pick up Channel Orange. Trying to get into the album, which is a bit difficult IMO. Will be interesting to see how it continues to sell over the next few weeks given the lack of a hit single(top song is about 60th on iTunes).

Well the top single is "Thinkin About You" but that song has been out so long that it's come and gone from the charts.

I think the best song is probably "Super Rich Kids" with Earl Sweatshirt. Pink Matter with Andre 3000 is pretty good, too. "Forrest Gump" is "If I weren't already out as bi, it'd be very apparent after this song." but not bad. "Sweet Life" is solid too.

Those are the ones I keep coming back to, especially Super Rich Kids though. One of my tumblr followers (who lives in Nashville) called it "Benny and the Jets for the 21st century." I totally thought that when I heard it the first time too.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-16-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #243
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post

An absolutely amazing album!! Man, "Pyramids" is just jaw dropping.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #244
stevew
Hall Of Famer

'Lost' most certainly has an Erotic City type vibe to it.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #245
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Son of a bitch.....Channel Orange is only 2.99 on Amazon

Amazon.com: Channel Orange [Explicit]: Frank Ocean: MP3 Downloads

Amazon.com: Ultimate: Prince: MP3 Downloads

Prince for 3 bucks

Amazon.com: ...Hits: Phil Collins: MP3 Downloads

Phil Collins for .99

http://www.amazon.com/The-ArchAndroi...GKZMMN52B1Z9E0

The Archandroid for 2.99

Last edited by stevew : 07-18-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #246
whomario
Pro Starter

new Gaslight Anthem on npr first listen :

First Listen: The Gaslight Anthem, 'Handwritten' : NPR

i think itīs brilliant piece of work, canīt stop listening.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:02 AM   #247
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Amazon.com: The Blueprint 3 (Explicit) [Explicit]: Jay-Z: MP3 Downloads

Blueprint 3 for .99
Old 07-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #248
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
new Gaslight Anthem on npr first listen :

First Listen: The Gaslight Anthem, 'Handwritten' : NPR

i think itīs brilliant piece of work, canīt stop listening.

Grantland did a negative review of it. I can't say the one single I listened to, 45, did much for me.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #249
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #250
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

dola

Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote