Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-13-2007, 02:18 PM   #201
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
That was a list of non-BALCO names, I believe.

Oh der.
I'm so stupid sometimes.
*smacks head*

Well, I gave you the list alphabetically by last name, anyway. I can pretend I was useful.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:21 PM   #202
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Jerry Hairson needs to ask for his money back if he did roids.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:28 PM   #203
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I'm in no way defending Selig, but I'm calling BS here. Sheffield was a user himself and is known to speak out of his ass.

He tried calling Bonds out on the BALCO thing when he was later tied directly to it himself.

Agreed. They are all guilty. Selig is a bum, and Sheffield is a loser. Nice job MLB. After this, the NFL just pulled even FURTHER ahead of you in the sports race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:29 PM   #204
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Jerry Hairson needs to ask for his money back if he did roids.

So does Jason Grimsley.

Quote:
Old 12-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #205
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Agreed. They are all guilty. Selig is a bum, and Sheffield is a loser. Nice job MLB. After this, the NFL just pulled even FURTHER ahead of you in the PR race.

Fixed

Don't think the NFL doesn't have just as big of a problem.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:32 PM   #206
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

MEMO TO STEPHEN A SMITH:

"In October 2006, after the Los Angeles Times reported that the names of Clemens and McNamee were among those that had been redacted from an affidavit in support of a search warrant for the residence of Jason Grimsley as allegedly involved with the illegal use of performance enhancing substances..."

LOL. How dark IS that cave, Stephen A?

Quote:
Old 12-13-2007, 02:34 PM   #207
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Fixed

Obviously they do when OL/DL are in excess of 350 lbs. these days. Yes, humans are bigger than we were 100 years ago, but c'mon. In any case, the NFL is much better at sweeping stuff under the rug (i.e. Shawn Merriman received very little press).

Quote:
Old 12-13-2007, 02:40 PM   #208
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
i.e. Shawn Merriman received very little press
Really? How do you quantify how much press someone receives? I have always wondered when reading statements like that.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:41 PM   #209
Butter
Coordinator

Did I see a guy named Nook in there?

Nook?
Old 12-13-2007, 02:41 PM   #210
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

The most depressing part of this (after admittedly only skimming it) is that the report for the most part is based around only three suppliers (BALCO, the Mets guy and McMann or whatever - I can't be bothered to look it up).

Think of how many other suppliers are out there that would have been getting steroids to other players that didn't make this report.

Also, what is there, 8 Yankees from the 2000 World Series team? Better throw an asterisk on that one.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:46 PM   #211
dacman
College Benchwarmer

McNamee is tied to Rodomski (Mets guy) -- the 3rd supplier would be Signature Pharmacy.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:52 PM   #212
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

The Dodgers really should look at their record-keeping techniques in the future:

"In the notes of the October 2003 meetings among Dodgers officials, it was reportedly said of Brown: Kevin Brown – getting to the age of nagging injuries . . . Question what kind of medication he takes . . . Effectiveness goes down covering 1st base or running bases. Common in soccer players and are more susceptible if you take meds to increase your muscles –
doesn’t increase the attachments. Is he open to adjusting how he takes care of himself? He knows he now needs to do stuff before coming to spring training to be ready. Steroids speculated by GM."

Between this and the comments the Dodgers wrote down on Paul Lo Duca, they have some serious explaining to do, eh? Or not, I suppose, since it IS all about the bottom line in the end anyway.

Quote:

Last edited by RomaGoth : 12-13-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:53 PM   #213
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Really? How do you quantify how much press someone receives? I have always wondered when reading statements like that.

Compared to the baseball steroid/HgH debacle, Merriman was a blink of an eye in the media coverage. That is all that I am saying.

Quote:
Old 12-13-2007, 02:57 PM   #214
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
Also, what is there, 8 Yankees from the 2000 World Series team? Better throw an asterisk on that one.

That is a good argument, and I am a Yankees fan. But 2 things should be considered here; 1) how many of the players linked to it on that Yankees team were integral parts of the championship team? Clemens, Pettite - yes. Grimsley? That is laughable. 2) How many players on other championship teams before and after the 2000 Yankees team also were on 'roids? Maybe we should just put an asterisk next to every name and every team in every year. That way all of our bases are covered....

Quote:

Last edited by RomaGoth : 12-13-2007 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:01 PM   #215
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Fixed

They DON'T have a problem.

The issue here isn't that guys are using drugs. Yes, some guys careers are ruined. Some guys will never make it to the hall because of this. But that isn't it.

This is a PR issue. The NFL doesn't have a problem with steroids because they can hold up their contract and go through their history and show that they did everything they could do to clean things up.

The NFL sits back and laughs their asses off at these other sports. It'll happen in hockey and basketball too, because those sports have been lax. The way to attack this is to go on a PR campaign and come up with a testing policy BEFORE it becomes a widespread problem. Then if something comes up, you can say you tried.

Baseball swept it under the rug and pretended the problem didn't exist. Now they are paying the price. Baseball has nobody else but themselves to blame for this. Instead of people laughing at the NFL's policy, they should be looking at the NFL as the model league for staying ahead of these problems.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:02 PM   #216
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Just noticed Paul Byrd and Ismael Valdez. Huh.

Quote:
Old 12-13-2007, 03:05 PM   #217
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post

The issue here isn't that guys are using drugs. Yes, some guys careers are ruined. Some guys will never make it to the hall because of this. But that isn't it.

This is a PR issue. The NFL doesn't have a problem with steroids because they can hold up their contract and go through their history and show that they did everything they could do to clean things up.

The NFL sits back and laughs their asses off at these other sports. It'll happen in hockey and basketball too, because those sports have been lax. The way to attack this is to go on a PR campaign and come up with a testing policy BEFORE it becomes a widespread problem. Then if something comes up, you can say you tried.

Baseball swept it under the rug and pretended the problem didn't exist. Now they are paying the price. Baseball has nobody else but themselves to blame for this. Instead of people laughing at the NFL's policy, they should be looking at the NFL as the model league for staying ahead of these problems.

Couldn't agree with you more. MLB has swept this stuff under the rug for so long that they don't even know what is legal or healthy anymore. Bud Selig is a complete moron whom tried to escape these problems but was unable to. Now he is being forced to confront it and the results are really quite ugly. Selig should read up on what Paul Tagliabue did with the NFL and get a clue.

Quote:
Old 12-13-2007, 03:05 PM   #218
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Compared to the baseball steroid/HgH debacle, Merriman was a blink of an eye in the media coverage. That is all that I am saying.

I disagree with this. Merriman was talked about all year in the press. When he made the pro bowl, the league changed the rule on allowing players to make it who had suspensions in that year. It even dragged out to the DPOY voting when Taylor talked about how he should win it because he was clean.

The NFL didn't take a PR hit though. Why? Because THEY SUSPENDED Merriman. If Merriman had set a sack record and the was linked with a clinic providing steroids to multiple NFL all pros and those players had never received a suspension or had never even been tested? Now they have the problem MLB has and now they get slammed in PR.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:07 PM   #219
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Steven A. Smith on his show is saying that he never heard Roger Clemens mentioned in regards to steroids before today. Talk about living in a cave. This guy has his own tv/radio show?? Really? I need to send off my pilot episode to ESPN ASAP.

Good thing I heard the show. What he said was he had never heard Roger Clemens's name in regards to 'roids in the same way that the Steroid Five (Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, Palmeiro and Giambi) were mentioned. As you pointed out, Clemens was named in L.A. Times report. However the immediate reaction from most of the media and many fans that there was no evidence that he used anything. Today is the first time I have heard widespread media attention (acceptance?) of Clemens's alleged steroid use.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:08 PM   #220
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
You are talking about one player versus an entire professional sport. Of course there is a difference. That doesn't mean that Merriman did not receive "a lot" of coverage. His story came up in numerous different news cycles, too (the suspension, the aftermath, the playoffs, the DPoY, the Pro Bowl...)
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #221
Thomkal
Head Coach

Just wondering for those who've had a chance to look over the report. How much (if any) is Bud Selig implicating in covering up or obstructing plans to deal with the steroid issue? ESPN was seeming to say that very little of the blame was left at Selig's door.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:12 PM   #222
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I thought Steve Phillips comments on ESPN just now were interesting. Nothing new really -- basically he acknowledged that GM's "knew" (i.e. believed but had no evidence) certain players were on the juice -- but that without anyone else raising cane about it that he (nor any GM) were willing to put their own jobs on the line by going to the owner & demanding something be done.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:16 PM   #223
watravaler
High School JV

I'm sorry, MLB used this investigation as a PR stunt, a complete joke...carry on MLB, with one less fan...

Frank Thomas(god bless him) and Giambi the only players who talked with Mitchell? ESPN defending/spinning the situation at every turn? I know it makes economic sense for them to sweep this under the rug, but please, fuck you MLB...

Last edited by watravaler : 12-13-2007 at 03:17 PM.
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:18 PM   #224
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I think it's kind of interesting that, of the ESPN talking heads, Kruk & Phillips seem to be the most accepting of the findings of the report while Kurkjian & Gammons are much more dismissive of it.

Can't help but notice that the former have pretty much already made their living from baseball while the latter are dependent upon continued fan interest to continue making their livings.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:22 PM   #225
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
That is a good argument, and I am a Yankees fan. But 2 things should be considered here; 1) how many of the players linked to it on that Yankees team were integral parts of the championship team? Clemens, Pettite - yes. Grimsley? That is laughable.

Taken from somewhere else...

Quote:
2000 world series:

Game 1 Starter
Andy Pettitte (steroids)
Yankees win

Game 2 Starter
Roger Clemens (steroids)
Yankees win

Game 3 Starter
Orlando Hernandez
Mets win

Game 4 Starter
Denny Neagle (steroids)
Yankees win

Game 5 Starter
Andy Pettitte (steroids)
Yankees win

Yankees Steroid Users in 2000 World Series:
30.2 IP, 5 ER, 1.46 ERA

Non-Steroid Users:
16.1 IP, 9 ER, 4.95 ERA

Just saying.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:24 PM   #226
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by watravaler View Post
I'm sorry, MLB used this investigation as a PR stunt, a complete joke...carry on MLB, with one less fan...

Frank Thomas(god bless him) and Giambi the only players who talked with Mitchell? ESPN defending/spinning the situation at every turn? I know it makes economic sense for them to sweep this under the rug, but please, fuck you MLB...
Did you actually read the report, there were a number of other players that spoke to Mitchell besides those two.

Edit... Unless you are talking about current players...

Last edited by DanGarion : 12-13-2007 at 03:29 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:25 PM   #227
JS19
College Prospect

Clearly should award the 2000 WS to the Mets!!!
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #228
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Taken from somewhere else...

Just saying.

I forgot Neagle even played for them in that series. If it is really THAT important to everyone, the Yankees should give back the 2000 world series title. Of course, they still have 25 more of them to admire.....

Quote:
Old 12-13-2007, 03:31 PM   #229
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I think it's kind of interesting that, of the ESPN talking heads, Kruk & Phillips seem to be the most accepting of the findings of the report while Kurkjian & Gammons are much more dismissive of it.

Can't help but notice that the former have pretty much already made their living from baseball while the latter are dependent upon continued fan interest to continue making their livings.

ESPN has more talking heads than Mr. Rogers neighborhood. With that being said, if there is one person that probably took something that is not being talked about, it is Kruk. That guy has the biggest melon I have ever seen (except for maybe Stewie Griffin in The Family Guy, but that is a cartoon).

Quote:
Old 12-13-2007, 03:36 PM   #230
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Another conclusion could be that Phillips and Kruk are/were on the inside where Kukjian and Gammons despite their reputation and respect level were always outsiders.

Ive said this numerous times before, but I know FOR A FACT that major college football programs had a major problem in the late 90s (not saying they didnt before or dont now, but I KNOW they did then) and it was amazing how candidly it was discussed amongst fellow "brothers" (even from different programs) but never breathed when anyone else was present or to an outsider.

Maybe its naievity but I find it entirely possible that Kruk and Phillips KNOW what goes on and Gammons and TIMMAY only can speculate and feel betrayed by the athletes they felt were their friends, now realizing they most likely lied to them "in confidence"

Last edited by CU Tiger : 12-13-2007 at 03:38 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:37 PM   #231
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Anyone watching/listening to Selig? What a moron. I wish he would go back to the Brewers.

Quote:
Old 12-13-2007, 03:38 PM   #232
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post

You're grouping a problem with steroid use in the NFL with the NFL's ability to PR the situation. The NFL doesn't have a problem with steroids in the court of public opinion. The NFL does have a problem with players using. Just the same as baseball, the difference is they've PR'd the situation immeasurably better than baseball has.

The NFL has the weakest union in all of sports and one that would be a joke outside of sports. Baseball has to fight tooth and nail to get anything done while the NFL can go to Gene Upshaw, ask him anything, and he'll bend over backwards to help the commissioner. Baseball proposed steroid testing in 1994 and the talks based around that collective bargaining agreement led to the season being canceled. To get baseball on the field again they just dropped steroid testing from the collective bargaining talks.

Instead of blaming all of baseball, people should be looking directly at the player's union and asking them why they continue to defend and protect criminals.

The NFL is far from a model league in how they delt with steroids. They've delt with them as public has knowledge increased. They had their eyes on dollars, not protecting players.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:41 PM   #233
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Anyone watching/listening to Selig? What a moron. I wish he would go back to the Brewers.

I was actually kind of surprised that Selig's comments were as strong as they were & even the tiniest bit optimistic about the tone overall.

Problem is that the commissioner's office is pretty neutered by the players union and I'd be shocked that they agreed to anything that was truly "in the best interest of baseball".
Old 12-13-2007, 03:43 PM   #234
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

I know Selig is hated by most baseball fans, but does anyone actually have reasons for this?

I'm willing to bet over 90% of the problems people have with Selig and his perceived incompetence can be tied directly to having to deal with the player's union.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:44 PM   #235
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
Albert Pujols!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Glad to see Pujols was finally called out for the roid freak that he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
If they threw pujols on there, they'd throw arod on there if they had proof

Pujols isnt on the list SI just put on their front page, so im not sure why he was on the list someone else posted earlier.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:50 PM   #236
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Pujols isnt on the list SI just put on their front page, so im not sure why he was on the list someone else posted earlier.

Yeah... he was on that first - mostly false - list. He's not one of the guys talked about in the report.

...which, as I'm reading it, I remember why I never wanted to be a lawyer.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:58 PM   #237
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
I know Selig is hated by most baseball fans, but does anyone actually have reasons for this?

I'm willing to bet over 90% of the problems people have with Selig and his perceived incompetence can be tied directly to having to deal with the player's union.

My personal opinion is that Selig is a supreme pushover and a man of little action. He had to have known about the steroids problem at least since he became commissioner, probably even earlier from his days with Milwaukee. Now if this is the case, why did he not do something about it sooner, rather than later? As someone earlier posted, why not put a drug testing policy in place BEFORE all of this becomes public? Yes, the players union in baseball has immense power, but it takes 2 sides to offer a product such as this. Instead of bending over for the union, Selig should have stood firm and required a mandatory drug testing regiment. Perhaps an entire season would have been missed due to a player strike (a.k.a. the NHL), but the players would have eventually come around because they want to play and get their huge salaries. True, most of them could play in Japan or something, but who really believes that players like Pujols, Jeter, Rodriguez, and others would go to Japan for more than one season? Selig is an embarrassment to anybody in a leadership role. The steroid problem came full circle on his watch, and he was asleep the whole time.

Quote:
Old 12-13-2007, 03:59 PM   #238
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Couldn't agree with you more. MLB has swept this stuff under the rug for so long that they don't even know what is legal or healthy anymore. Bud Selig is a complete moron whom tried to escape these problems but was unable to. Now he is being forced to confront it and the results are really quite ugly. Selig should read up on what Paul Tagliabue did with the NFL and get a clue.

Selig proposed steroid testing in 1994. The new collective bargaining agreement signed after the strike left it out. Owners just wanted the players back on the field. This meant it wasn't even up for discussion again until 2002.

In 2001 Selig implemented testing on minor leaguers not on the 40-man roster of MLB teams since those on the 40 man roster are protected by the player's association.

Selig's problem isn't action on his part. His problem is a player's union and his inability to handle PR proactively rather that reactively.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:06 PM   #239
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I believe perhaps the most influential thing in this whole situation is something that Selig alluded to toward the end of his presser: that this is really a societal problem, not just a baseball problem.

Let's be real here, there's a lot more people upset over the idea that a few home runs or strikeouts might have been affected than by the number of people willing to commit felonies in order to get those dingers & K's. And if that's the majority (and of those who actually follow baseball I imagine it is) then we're so fucked up that this isn't going to really be fixed no matter what MLB does. Players, owners, et al don't exist in a vacuum, they're just parts of society like all the rest of us. They're a mirror of the rest of us and if we don't care about the more important issues here then how/why do we expect them to?
Old 12-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #240
molson
General Manager

Quote:
My personal opinion is that Selig is a supreme pushover and a man of little action. He had to have known about the steroids problem at least since he became commissioner, probably even earlier from his days with Milwaukee. Now if this is the case, why did he not do something about it sooner, rather than later?

I think you answered your own question there.

Selig is weak, and the union is strong. I don't know if anyone could have stood up to them, honestly. The only way to "save" baseball from payroll and steroid issues would have been to shut it down - long term. The union wouldn't agree to help the game until seasons (plural) went down the drain. By then there would probably be a new player-friendly league.

Back in '94 though, it wasn't about the issues, with the media and fans. It was about "They're greedy - it's our game!!!!". I'm not blaming the fans. But I don't think there was really any way to fix any of this.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:09 PM   #241
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
My personal opinion is that Selig is a supreme pushover and a man of little action. He had to have known about the steroids problem at least since he became commissioner, probably even earlier from his days with Milwaukee. Now if this is the case, why did he not do something about it sooner, rather than later? As someone earlier posted, why not put a drug testing policy in place BEFORE all of this becomes public? Yes, the players union in baseball has immense power, but it takes 2 sides to offer a product such as this. Instead of bending over for the union, Selig should have stood firm and required a mandatory drug testing regiment. Perhaps an entire season would have been missed due to a player strike (a.k.a. the NHL), but the players would have eventually come around because they want to play and get their huge salaries. True, most of them could play in Japan or something, but who really believes that players like Pujols, Jeter, Rodriguez, and others would go to Japan for more than one season? Selig is an embarrassment to anybody in a leadership role. The steroid problem came full circle on his watch, and he was asleep the whole time.

Selig's power in neutered not only by the player's union but by the owners as well. If you remember, baseball got rid of Faye Vincent who was baseball's last true commissioner in a vote of no confidence mainly because he sided with the players in the collusion scandal.

Selig was then named chairman of baseball's Executive Council and his main job is to answer to the owners. It always has been. What he has managed to do is get a lot of the power previous commissioner's have had, but he still isn't the voice of the league in the same way the NFL's commissioner is.

As I said above, Selig proposed steroid testing in '94. His job after the strike, however, was to get baseball back on the field before it became about as relavent as the NHL. Owners weren't prepared for the strike and they were losing money faster than the player's union was.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:09 PM   #242
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I was actually kind of surprised that Selig's comments were as strong as they were & even the tiniest bit optimistic about the tone overall.

I've heard a lot of interviews with him - he actually seems like smart guy who understands the game and where it's going. He's just overpowered by the union.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:11 PM   #243
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I've heard a lot of interviews with him - he actually seems like smart guy who understands the game and where it's going.

Then again there's the whole All-Star game mess, which kind of makes that description hard to really get behind too.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:16 PM   #244
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Then again there's the whole All-Star game mess, which kind of makes that description hard to really get behind too.

I think it fits in - the guy's awful under pressure.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:21 PM   #245
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

True. I would love to support the guy, but I have seen nothing from him to warrant my support. Instead, he is a weak man whom is (as mentioned above) overpowered by the player's union. It is unfortunate that they don't all see the benefit of drug testing and how the careers of all these players will be viewed in 20 years. Not to mention the possibility that many of these players will die very young (i.e. Caminiti).

So now we get a World Series home field advantage determined by steroid popping guys in a staged all-star game in a bloated league.

This is a sad day for baseball, no matter how you look at it.

Quote:
Old 12-13-2007, 05:17 PM   #246
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Following the release of the Mitchell report, Chairman Henry A. Waxman and Ranking Minority Member Tom Davis released the following statement:

“This is a sad day for Major League Baseball but a good day for integrity in sports. It’s an important step towards the goal of eliminating the use of performance enhancing substances.

“The Mitchell report is sobering. It shows the use of steroids and human growth hormone has been and is a significant problem in Major League Baseball. And it shows that everyone involved in Major League Baseball bears some responsibility for this scandal.

We are going to ask Senator George Mitchell, Commissioner Bud Selig, and the President of the Major League Players Association, Don Fehr, to testify at a House Oversight and Government Reform hearing on Tuesday, December 18. We look forward to their testimony on whether the Mitchell report’s recommendations will be adopted and whether additional measures are needed.

“We want to commend Commissioner Selig for authorizing this investigation and thank Senator Mitchell for his dedication to this effort.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the reason for this is to get Fehr in front of the House Oversight Commitee to ask him if he's willing to accept the recommendations from Mitchell and if not, why.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:21 PM   #247
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Somewhat anti-climactic since many of you nailed a lot of the players in the predictions.

The part I liked best was saying that these f'n cheaters created an unfair, unnatural imbalance. Unlike past drug problems in baseball (where it was a much higher percentage of users), as well as other sports including track&field, cycling and football (yes, I said football, where if you not using, you're not good enough to play), the smaller percentage of users in the Steroids Era created aberations.

My hope going forwards is that ALL of these players will be (or continue to be) condemned and those targeted for the HOF, get no more than the 25% they deserve...forever. There is no need to erase records because there is no precedent of it in baseball (Jackson is still among the top lifetime BA and Rose is still the hits leaders).

Dumb question. I didn't see two of four poster boys (along with Bonds and Clemens) for the Steroids Era: McGwire and Sosa.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:27 PM   #248
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Dumb question. I didn't see two of four poster boys (along with Bonds and Clemens) for the Steroids Era: McGwire and Sosa.

Well that's the problem with "comdemnation" and building up anyone not on this list - it can't possibly claim to cover everyone and everything.

Last edited by molson : 12-13-2007 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:29 PM   #249
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Well that's the problem with "comdemnation" and building up anyone not on this list - it can't possibly claim to cover everyone and everything.

But it can cover those ON the list.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:52 PM   #250
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

Quite honestly, this was surprising at first but as I did a bit of research, it made a bit more sense.

What exactly is the evidence against McGwire and Sosa that show that they used steroids or HGH? Other than being accused by Canseco and their performance in front of Congress, I can't find any. There is no positive test. There is no link to a BALCO or such. Does that mean they did not use drugs? Hell no. Do I believe that they did? Absolutely. But I can't point to any conclusive evidence to say yes they did. Maybe that evidence will come in the future.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote