Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-12-2006, 08:01 PM   #201
st.cronin
General Manager

I just noticed this: CBS sportsline has Vince Young the #6 ranked qb in the draft, behind, among others, DJ Shockley and Brett Basanez.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/draft/prospects/OFF/QB

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 08:54 PM   #202
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

I know the Packer fans don't like him but I've to give thumbs up to Ted Thompson for his statement on Javon Walker.

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2006/03/10/3/

Quote:
Statement From Packers GM Ted Thompson Regarding Javon Walker

posted 03/10/2006

During his time as a Green Bay Packer, Javon Walker has been well thought of by everyone here. I like Javon, certainly as a person and as a player.

That said, Javon is under contract, which he signed as a 2002 first-round draft choice. That contract is governed by the Collective Bargaining Agreement, which was negotiated between the National Football League and the National Football League Players’ Association, and we expect him to honor it.

There have been several highly publicized cases of player discontent in the National Football League. I don’t anticipate us making any concessions in this matter.

We will continue to stay the course, and the Green Bay Packers will have no further comment on this topic

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:24 PM   #203
SteelerFan448
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
That is absolutely insane overpayment for Randel El. At least that should net the steelers a 4th rounder compensatory next season.

That was beyond overpaying, particularly when you consider he will be the 3rd or maybe even 4th option at times.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:29 PM   #204
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan448
That was beyond overpaying, particularly when you consider he will be the 3rd or maybe even 4th option at times.

Maybe he's going to be their qb?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:30 PM   #205
Thomkal
Head Coach

Woohoo! My beloved Cards will actually have a running game next season (if they can get some O-Line help for Edge that is)
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:35 PM   #206
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The Ravens have signed Mike Anderson.

Mike Anderson - RB - Ravens

Ravens signed RB Mike Anderson to a four-year, $8 million contract. The deal includes a $2 million signing bonus.
Baltimore still needs to add a tailback and this contract indicates Anderson is comfortable being a backup. Whether he competes with Jamal Lewis or a rookie for carries remains to be seen. Anderson is a good fit for Baltimore's power attack and is still capable when called upon, especially in short-yardage situations. Mar. 12 - 10:26 pm et
Source: Baltimore Sun

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:01 PM   #207
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan448

The idea (I stress idea) is for him to be the #2 receiver.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:08 PM   #208
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hope the skins fans like East/West punt returns and consistant bitching to the refs about pass interference after he can't catch the ball. He did make about 6 huge plays last year, so I will definately miss him on those rare occasions.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:51 PM   #209
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
I hope the skins fans like East/West punt returns and consistant bitching to the refs about pass interference after he can't catch the ball. He did make about 6 huge plays last year, so I will definately miss him on those rare occasions.

I'll miss him, too. I liked having him on the team and he seemed like a good guy in the community, but I cannot see paying a 40-catch guy/PR this kind of money. I predict he will have a decent season next year, and then, after the Brunell-era ends, he will look really bad breaking in a new QB and that contract will look terrible.

Too bad about Mike Anderson. I would have loved to see him come in and play Bettis's role for the Steelers next season.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:16 PM   #210
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I just noticed this: CBS sportsline has Vince Young the #6 ranked qb in the draft, behind, among others, DJ Shockley and Brett Basanez.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/draft/prospects/OFF/QB

Basanez higher than Young? I think that list loses credibility right there. I'd be surprised if Basanez is even drafted.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:06 AM   #211
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
What a spectacular blunder from the Seahawks. Just spectacular.

There's a $590,000 difference between the two tags, right? All off-season long we've heard there's a lack of good guards in free agency, and the draft isn't exactly deep here. This was inevitable.

Hutch is getting his cash, which is great for him. He deserves a big payday. But you can't make a blunder like this when you're running a professional football team.

One thing I've read, and take with a grain of salt, was that there was an agreement between the parties for the market to set itself, then for the Seahawks to pay him that. Seems odd in this day and age if that is the case, but with the way the Seahawks front office has worked since the revamping, it sounds like the kind of thing they might do to ensure that they have a very happy and productive Steve Hutchinson on the team for the rest (hopefully) of his career.

Even with a severly frontloaded deal, the Seahawks should be able to match and still make any other moves they wanted to as they have a lot of cap room to work with, so I'm hoping this line of reasoning is valid and that in the next 7 days he'll be under contract for a long time.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:17 AM   #212
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Even with a severly frontloaded deal, the Seahawks should be able to match and still make any other moves they wanted to as they have a lot of cap room to work with, so I'm hoping this line of reasoning is valid and that in the next 7 days he'll be under contract for a long time.

According to Profootballtalk, Minnesota's offer makes Hutchinson's cap number in '06 to be $13 million. Duckman posted what ESPN thinks teams have under the cap, http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...&postcount=166.

According to that the Seahawks have $17+ million under the cap, are they going to use up 75% of their existing cap room to match the offer?

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:29 AM   #213
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The Eagles sign Darren Howard.

Eagles signed DE Darren Howard to a six-year, $30.5 million contract, including $10.5 million in guarantees.
Considering the money being thrown at average linemen in free agency, this is a great deal. Howard has averaged over seven sacks and two forced fumbles in his six year career and provides an excellent bookend to pair with Jevon Kearse. Trent Cole will move to the bench. Mar. 13 - 9:24 am et
Source: ESPN.com

Kearse and Howard. Yikes.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:44 AM   #214
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
According to Profootballtalk, Minnesota's offer makes Hutchinson's cap number in '06 to be $13 million. Duckman posted what ESPN thinks teams have under the cap, http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...&postcount=166.

According to that the Seahawks have $17+ million under the cap, are they going to use up 75% of their existing cap room to match the offer?

He already counts for 6-7 under the cap so at most they would be using another 6-7 this year out of their remaining 17 to match.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:50 AM   #215
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
He already counts for 6-7 under the cap so at most they would be using another 6-7 this year out of their remaining 17 to match.

Yeah, you're right. Forgot that he already counted in the Seahawks cap but it looks like it is a moot point now.

Quote:
Seahawks | More about Hutchinson's offer
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 06:14:53 -0800
Mike Sando, of the Tacoma News Tribune, reports the offer sheet signed by Seattle Seahawks OG Steve Hutchinson with the Minnesota Vikings reportedly included a $10 million signing bonus, a $6 million roster bonus payable this year and a $585,000 base salary in 2006. That would translate to $8.585 million in salary cap charges this year, a high number but not a prohibitive one. Hutchinson is already counting $6.391 million against Seattle's cap after the Seahawks named him their transition player, which allows them to match offers he receives in free agency. Under those terms, the Seahawks could match the Vikings' offer and still have roughly $16 million in salary cap room, plenty to re-sign their own free agents and pursue others on the market. There were reports, however, that the Vikings' offer might carry a first-year cap charge of $13 million. That would be the figure if Hutchinson's 2006 base salary were $5.85 million instead of $585,000.

Stupid extra zero...

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:53 AM   #216
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I'm happy with this Hutchinson scenario. It's good to see a fellow alumn get paid and if Seattle has to cough up a lot to keep him, sounds good to me, and if Minnesota is distracted during FA by this, even better.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:11 AM   #217
Bee
Pro Starter

My thoughts right now...

I think Hutchinson is a great player, but there's no way I pay that kind of money on a Guard even if he's one of the best in the league.

I have no idea what the Redskins are thinking with the Randel El signing. The guy caught something like 35 passes last year! He's a decent player, but no where near worth that kind of guaranteed money. I thought they did a good job getting Lloyd though, I think he'll make a better #2 than Randel El. I also liked their siging of Fauria. A veteran TE who's consistent will be much better than Royal was last season.

Just heard the Redskins also signed Adam Achuletta, but haven't heard the details of the contract. If they didn't overpay, he's a good pick up as well.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:17 AM   #218
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Another bit from the Pro Football Talk rumormill. Supposedly there is a clause in the contract offered to Hutchinson making the entire contract guarenteed if at some point he is no longer the highest paid player on the team. If Seattle has to meet the provision, they will already have to guarentee the whole deal because Walter Jones is paid more. It's unclear whether they would have to meet that provision though.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
Old 03-13-2006, 11:08 AM   #219
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Kearse and Howard. Yikes.

Seriously Yikes! Those two should work very well opposite eachother. I'm always impressed with the offseason moves Philadelphia pulls off.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:19 PM   #220
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Skins continue to spend:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9304905

Quote:
ASHBURN, Va. -- The Washington Redskins added safety Adam Archuleta to their free agency haul Monday, the team's fourth acquisition in three days.

And Jamal Lewis stays in Baltimore

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9305050

Quote:
OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Running back Jamal Lewis and the Baltimore Ravens reached agreement on a three-year contract Monday, less than 24 hours after the team added free agent Mike Anderson to improve a running game that struggled last season.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:30 PM   #221
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Interesting. Haslett (new Rams DC) really wanted Archuleta to stay in St. Louis. Chavous is slated for FS.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:40 PM   #222
Bee
Pro Starter

I like Archuletta alot and if Taylor can stay out of jail that will be a interesting combo of safties. Throw in Springs and Carlos Rogers and that is an impressive defensive backfield.

If the Redskins had a QB, they'd be a scary team...
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:52 PM   #223
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I'm betting the rest of the NFL is pissed at Minnesota and Seattle over the Hutchinson deal - Minnesota for offering stupid money to a G, Seattle for allowing the market circumstances for such a deal to happen.

We'll see what the actual contract terms are, but at this point I'm pretty optimistic that the 'Hawks will keep Hutch and it won't have a major impact on their salary cap this year. Still, it will likely sting quite a bit to be paying so much $$$ for a position that doesn't normally command it...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:05 PM   #224
Travis
Pro Rookie

As far as the Hutch/Seahawks situation, if and yeah, likely a big IF they match the deal, at least the way it sounds how it's structured, it'll be a bitter one year pill that will open up more options for them in following seasons rather than franchising him this year, then going through this hassle again next offseason. Hard to believe that saving half a million this year would be the reason to transition tag him rather than frachising him, but doing it this way ensured that he'd get a long term offer of some sort that Seattle could then match, giving Hutchinson a long term deal at "fair market value" this offseason.

Some weird logic, yes, but potentially effective in wrapping up maybe the best guard in football long term while also assuring that he's happy with the deal and won't feel like he didn't get his shot at a free agent sort of payday.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:11 PM   #225
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Archuleta move is the first thing the Redskins have done that I don't think helps them on the field. Last year they were vulnerable to the deep ball especially when Springs got hurt. Now they have two head-hunters, but no true coverage safety.

Its a given that Springs will get hurt agin this year and when he does expect teams to throw deep on the Skins. That's going to be their weak spot.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:16 PM   #226
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
As far as the Hutch/Seahawks situation, if and yeah, likely a big IF they match the deal, at least the way it sounds how it's structured, it'll be a bitter one year pill that will open up more options for them in following seasons rather than franchising him this year, then going through this hassle again next offseason. Hard to believe that saving half a million this year would be the reason to transition tag him rather than frachising him, but doing it this way ensured that he'd get a long term offer of some sort that Seattle could then match, giving Hutchinson a long term deal at "fair market value" this offseason.

Some weird logic, yes, but potentially effective in wrapping up maybe the best guard in football long term while also assuring that he's happy with the deal and won't feel like he didn't get his shot at a free agent sort of payday.

Then why tag him at all? If Hutch were a free agent, he'd get offers. And he'd be free to ask Seattle to match them. Tagging him upped his price quite a bit.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:30 PM   #227
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I know the Packer fans don't like him but I've to give thumbs up to Ted Thompson for his statement on Javon Walker.

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2006/03/10/3/

In other words Tompson is saying this..."We hope to get one year out of him in which he may or may not try his hardest and then either let him walk for nothing or franchise tag him, which would mean keeping a guy on the team who does not like to be on the team and keeps getting more angry. Then hopefully we can have our own small town version of T.O. in another year or two and my destruction of the Packers will be near completion."

Sorry, I love the prick know as Thompson.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:38 PM   #228
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
The Archuleta move is the first thing the Redskins have done that I don't think helps them on the field. Last year they were vulnerable to the deep ball especially when Springs got hurt. Now they have two head-hunters, but no true coverage safety.

Its a given that Springs will get hurt agin this year and when he does expect teams to throw deep on the Skins. That's going to be their weak spot.
I think he is an upgrade over everyone else they had back there - none of those guys are real good in coverage. My big concern is their depth at cornerback...they are really thin there...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:41 PM   #229
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
Then why tag him at all? If Hutch were a free agent, he'd get offers. And he'd be free to ask Seattle to match them. Tagging him upped his price quite a bit.

Honestly, no idea other than to absolutely ensure that they'd have the right to match and that this way it's one offer and done rather than getting 3 or 4 teams into a bidding war. As it is, he was assured of what, $6.3 million this year because of the tag, and the total of the Minny offer is $49 over 7 years. So the Seahawks would have to bite the bullet in year 1, but after that they'd be getting him for a relatively bargain deal as compared to what they'd pay if they (for example) franchised him each year for that same length.

Might not be the best way to get a long term deal worked out, but I really hope they do match with the view that it will save them money in years 2-7.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:05 PM   #230
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well, the Lions have signed a free agent.

I'll give you one chance to guess what position this new free agent plays.

Here's a hint: In 2002, Millen took his first big plunge into free agency by signing two players at this position to big contracts.

Here's another hint: The Lions drafted a player at this very same position in the first round of 2003.

Here's another hint: The Lions drafted a player at this very same position in the first round of 2004.

Here's yet another hint: The Lions drafted a player at this very same position in the first round of 2005.

Figured it out yet? What position of need they've long-neglected is finally filled? Why, wide receiver. Of course.

The Detroit Lions signed eight year veteran Corey Bradford to a four-year, $7.4 million contract that included a $2 million signing bonus.

Bradford, 30, has never caught more than 45 passes in a season. But the former Jackson State standout, who played the last four seasons with the Houston Texans, is a deep threat who has averaged 15.6 yards over the course of his career. He has also averaged a touchdown catch every 8.0 receptions. He began his career with the Green Bay Packers as a fifth-round choice in 1998, and then signed with the Texans as a free agent in 2002.

The roar has been restored.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-13-2006, 03:06 PM   #231
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Santonio Holmes breathes a sigh of relief somewhere.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:08 PM   #232
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Well, the Lions have signed a free agent.

I'll give you one chance to guess what position this new free agent plays.

Here's a hint: In 2002, Millen took his first big plunge into free agency by signing two players at this position to big contracts.

Here's another hint: The Lions drafted a player at this very same position in the first round of 2003.

Here's another hint: The Lions drafted a player at this very same position in the first round of 2004.

Here's yet another hint: The Lions drafted a player at this very same position in the first round of 2005.

Figured it out yet? What position of need they've long-neglected is finally filled? Why, wide receiver. Of course.

The Detroit Lions signed eight year veteran Corey Bradford to a four-year, $7.4 million contract that included a $2 million signing bonus.

Bradford, 30, has never caught more than 45 passes in a season. But the former Jackson State standout, who played the last four seasons with the Houston Texans, is a deep threat who has averaged 15.6 yards over the course of his career. He has also averaged a touchdown catch every 8.0 receptions. He began his career with the Green Bay Packers as a fifth-round choice in 1998, and then signed with the Texans as a free agent in 2002.

The roar has been restored.

Think Charles Rodgers will be cut or traded?
Old 03-13-2006, 03:09 PM   #233
Butter
Coordinator

The Bengals finally sign somebody... signing former Tampa Bay safety Dexter Jackson to a 4 year, $8 million deal. A position of need filled. I was starting to get nervous.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:10 PM   #234
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Dola

Antonio Bryant signs with 49ers for 4 years/$15 million. So essentially they traded Brandon Lloyd for Bryant, a 3rd this year, and a 4th next year. I'll take that.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:13 PM   #235
Pyser
Pro Rookie

niners look great with this wr swap. gain 2 picks, save $10m, and get a more productive wr in the process.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:15 PM   #236
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle

All reports indicate that he wont. Millen said as much. Then again, Millen's word has been pretty meaningless, just ask Johnny Morton and Marty Mornhinweg.

They may trade him, but I guess it would depend on what they could get for him. I assume his trade value is pretty low at the moment.

I don't see them cutting him though. There is no real need from a cap perspective and his salary is pretty friendly at the moment (since he missed so many damned incentives last year). I figure they will give him a chance to get his head on straight and see if Martz can get something out of him. The only reason to cut him would be if he were a detriment to the team. Then again, he was benched regularly last year for the likes of Scottie Vines.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:26 PM   #237
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:
All reports indicate that he wont. Millen said as much. Then again, Millen's word has been pretty meaningless, just ask Johnny Morton and Marty Mornhinweg.

They may trade him, but I guess it would depend on what they could get for him. I assume his trade value is pretty low at the moment.

I don't see them cutting him though. There is no real need from a cap perspective and his salary is pretty friendly at the moment (since he missed so many damned incentives last year). I figure they will give him a chance to get his head on straight and see if Martz can get something out of him. The only reason to cut him would be if he were a detriment to the team. Then again, he was benched regularly last year for the likes of Scottie Vines.

I've always been somewhat interested in Detroit's moves for whatever reason. Who do you think they're looking at in the draft with the 9th pick? Michael Huff maybe? Vernon Davis?
Old 03-13-2006, 03:38 PM   #238
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I've always been somewhat interested in Detroit's moves for whatever reason. Who do you think they're looking at in the draft with the 9th pick? Michael Huff maybe? Vernon Davis?

Michael Huff appears to be the flavor of the month right now. Marinelli's defense (apparently) relies upon strong safety play and the current state of the Lions' defensive backfield is pretty sad. Kennoy Kennedy can hit, but is otherwise pretty unimpressive. The other safeties are Vernon Fox (special teamer), Terrence Holt (Torri's brother) who showed some flashes at times during his rookie season and seemed to have a real nose for the ball, but just didn't get the job done when given the chance to start last year, and John McGraw (he's not good). At cornerback you have Bly (who is good) and after that you have Fernando Bryant (who is not good) and two unproven players in Stanley Wilson (2nd year guy) and Keith Smith (3rd year guy). Other than Bly and Shaun Rogers (DT), their defense sorely lacks playmakers. Huff seems like a good fit at a position of need.

It wouldn't surprise me, however, if the Lions took Davis. I mean, the defense (as described above) was pretty much the same this time last year and the Lions went out and drafted Mike Williams. The Lions have Marcus Pollard (who played surprisingly poorly once doning the Honolulu Blue and Silver), so Davis would certainly be an upgrade at the position and give Harrington (or whoever the QB is) yet another offensive weapon.

My biggest fear, at the moment, is that after free agency one of the three QBs (Young, Leinhart, or Cutler) drops and Huff, Davis, or whomever the Lions could really use are gone. Not sure what would happen then...

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 03-13-2006 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:41 PM   #239
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My biggest fear, at the moment, is that after free agency one of the three QBs (Young, Leinhart, or Cutler) drops and Huff, Davis, or whomever the Lions could really use are gone. Not sure what would happen then...

Millen drafting anyone would be my biggest fear.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:42 PM   #240
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Matt Millen must be playing Maximum Football.. thinking he can customize the team to a 10 WR set...

He is like Randolph and Mortimer but, instead of trying to corner the OJ market, he is trying it with WRs..
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:45 PM   #241
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
As far as the Hutch/Seahawks situation, if and yeah, likely a big IF they match the deal, at least the way it sounds how it's structured, it'll be a bitter one year pill that will open up more options for them in following seasons rather than franchising him this year, then going through this hassle again next offseason.
I dunno - if Mike Sando is correct, it isn't nearly as big a "bitter pill" as was orginally being reported. Sounds like his first year cap hit is $8.6M - a big number, but only $2.2M more than what they already had penciled-in with the transition tag, and still leaving them with nearly $14M of cap room to spare. Assmuning Sando's numbers are right, I think it's a given that the 'Hawks will match.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:47 PM   #242
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
I dunno - if Mike Sando is correct, it isn't nearly as big a "bitter pill" as was orginally being reported. Sounds like his first year cap hit is $8.6M - a big number, but only $2.2M more than what they already had penciled-in with the transition tag, and still leaving them with nearly $14M of cap room to spare. Assmuning Sando's numbers are right, I think it's a given that the 'Hawks will match.

New rumor says that there is a pill in there which automatically guarantees the entire deal if he is not the top paid player on the team(though it may be on the line). If this is true, the Seahawks would somehow need to restructure Jones, or be screwed.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:49 PM   #243
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

This Corey Braford signing slightly dampens my hope of the Lions drafting a Receiver in the first round. However my fingers are still crossed.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:50 PM   #244
stevew
Hall Of Famer

dola, from Profootballtalk.com(questionable source, i will admit)

HUTCHINSON OFFER HAS MAJOR POISON PILL

A league source tells us that the offer sheet signed by Seahawks guard Steve Hutchinson with the Minnesota Vikings contains a poison pill of unprecedented magnitude and significance, which is aimed at preventing Seattle from exercising its right to match the deal, pursuant to the rules applicable to transition players.

Apart from a 2006 cap number that exceeds $13 million, the offer sheet contains a provision that makes the entire deal guaranteed if Hutchinson at any point becomes anything other than the highest paid player on the team.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:04 PM   #245
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche
Basanez higher than Young? I think that list loses credibility right there. I'd be surprised if Basanez is even drafted.

If you really would be surprised if he's drafted perhaps you need to watch the guy play. I watched a ton of big ten games and Basanez is a damn fine QB. He doesn't have the flash or the exposure that the big names get, but the guy can play the position.He lifts his teamates to higher levels than they would normally play at and he makes good decisions with the ball. The only ding on his abilities right now is that he is a little erratic with his throws and seems to be "streaky".

I'll be stunned if he's NOT drafted in the first 2-3 rounds.

Better than Young? perhaps not in shear ability, but I think he'll play longer at the QB position than Young will.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:05 PM   #246
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
dola, from Profootballtalk.com(questionable source, i will admit)

HUTCHINSON OFFER HAS MAJOR POISON PILL

A league source tells us that the offer sheet signed by Seahawks guard Steve Hutchinson with the Minnesota Vikings contains a poison pill of unprecedented magnitude and significance, which is aimed at preventing Seattle from exercising its right to match the deal, pursuant to the rules applicable to transition players.

Apart from a 2006 cap number that exceeds $13 million, the offer sheet contains a provision that makes the entire deal guaranteed if Hutchinson at any point becomes anything other than the highest paid player on the team.

If this is true the management people who sign such a thing are the biggest farking IDIOTS ever to hold a job.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:06 PM   #247
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The Cowboys lose one LB.

Saints | Team lands Fujita
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:54:55 -0800
John Clayton and Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, report the New Orleans Saints have agreed to terms with free agent LB Scott Fujita (Cowboys) on an undisclosed contract.

And they sign another one.

Cowboys | Ayodele signed to five-year deal
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:50:15 -0800
The Dallas Cowboys have announced the team has signed free agent LB Akin Ayodele (Jaguars) to a five-year deal. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Ayodele's deal is 5 years for $17 million with a a $5 million signing bonus.

Fire Ron Lee.

Last edited by TazFTW : 03-13-2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:09 PM   #248
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Rumor has it the Redskins have signed his collar bone to a 7-year, $46 million offer sheet.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:52 PM   #249
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Dexter Jackson is a great pickup for the Bengals. This is the guy they have targeted from the beginning and they paid him a lot less than Archuleta and Chavous got. He covers and plays the run the way Marvin wants from his safeties. We got an under-30 Super Bowl MVP in a position of need.

Now I hope we can get Sam Adams to fill our other big hole.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:17 PM   #250
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Cowboys overpaid for Ayodele.

Nobody has mentioned the Jaguars Brian Williams deal yet? I wonder why no-one has thought that a CB getting a 10 mill bonus to be a starter would be a deal worth mentioning?

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote