Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-29-2008, 12:08 PM   #201
korme
Go Reds

Got to feel for the other guy. More likely that he was in the do category rather than don't.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #202
Axxon
Pro Starter

It said the two guys went out of the park to get some lunch. I doubt it very seriously. Most likely they went off park to smoke their lunch. It makes sense. Doesn't really excuse the stupidity of his actions but I'm just saying.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #203
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I seriously doubt the family gets a dime

Family will get a couple hundred grand. Some lawyer will convince them it was the park's fault, they'll threaten to sue, and the park will offer a settlement to keep the case from going to trial, in the expectation that people will forget the two incidents that have happened on this ride if they aren't reminded of it when the case comes to trial in May 2009.

Last edited by Shkspr : 06-29-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:48 PM   #204
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
in the expectation that people will forget the two incidents that have happened on this ride if they aren't reminded of it when the case comes to trial in May 2009.

If you mean potential jurors, why would it matter if they remembered or not? In each case, the "victim" was clearly at fault, and either a jury is going to disregard that fact & hand out undeserved cash or they're going to tell the profiteering plaintiffs to go jump.

If you mean park patrons in general, damned if I imagine this is going to dissuade anyone from going to the park.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-29-2008 at 12:49 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #205
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think I recall seeing somewhere that six flags is denying any liability in the suit where the girl almost lost her legs so they may fight this.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:01 PM   #206
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think I recall seeing somewhere that six flags is denying any liability in the suit where the girl almost lost her legs so they may fight this.

This case is a slam dunk. The other case is a bit more problematic since it was a park worker who was involved.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #207
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
If you mean potential jurors, why would it matter if they remembered or not? In each case, the "victim" was clearly at fault, and either a jury is going to disregard that fact & hand out undeserved cash or they're going to tell the profiteering plaintiffs to go jump.

If you mean park patrons in general, damned if I imagine this is going to dissuade anyone from going to the park.

I think it will dissuade the people who only read the headlines instead of the actual story.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #208
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Devil's Advocate/Ass-hole lawyer angle: The ride, by design, swings cars and people on the outside of a track. If the park had invested a modest sum, they could encapsulate the entire flight path of the car with a roll cage type design that would not only have prevented 2 deaths but would also serve to protect riders from the actions of others on the ground. Clearly the park is more concerned about saving a few dollars than protecting its patrons.

I dont believe that POV for a second, Im just saying it will be presented.

That said, it wasnt a bright move, but not necessarily Darwin award stupid either. I can almost see myself at say 15 pulling something similar to get a laugh...

Last edited by CU Tiger : 06-29-2008 at 01:14 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:21 PM   #209
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I call it Darwin stupid.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:28 PM   #210
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Granted, the kid lost his head, but you guys are being pretty tough on him.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:36 PM   #211
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Granted, the kid lost his head, but you guys are being pretty tough on him.

Someone had to say it.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #212
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

I'm skeptical that the headline, "Jury Selection Begins in Theme Park Decapitation Trial", ideally timed at the beginning of theme-park going season, will have no effect on park attendance. At the very least, it'll cost money for the park to offset the publicity with positive spin.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:20 PM   #213
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Although there's at least some hope that the family isn't going to try to cash in on their offspring's stupidity ("We're awaiting the results of the investigation. We're going to have someone investigate, too," his father said. "We're not blaming the park." ... the root of the problem is still pretty evident to me.

Quote:
"He didn't do anything wrong," Ferguson said. "He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time."

He scaled two fences into a secure area. That's "wrong" whether he gets his fool head knocked off or not. Either this guy is still in denial or his genetic contribution is in part to blame for his son's death.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #214
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
I'm skeptical that the headline, "Jury Selection Begins in Theme Park Decapitation Trial", ideally timed at the beginning of theme-park going season, will have no effect on park attendance. At the very least, it'll cost money for the park to offset the publicity with positive spin.

No way this would ever get to a jury trial even if the kid's family wanted to fight it to the end, the park would win a motion to dismiss.

MAYBE they pay funeral costs or something, no way there's any kind of real settlement here.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:51 PM   #215
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Unfortunately, it isn't against the law to be stupid. I'm sure the family lawyer will say that - given the ride had to potential to kill someone if they got underneath of it - the park should have done more to prevent people getting near it than just a climbable fence with a few signs.

In fact, the more I think about it, 6 Flags certainly *should* have done more to restrict access to the part of the ride that's kill-able. Yes, they should take into account that there are stupid people at their park as well as kids who don't obey signs. Seriously, if 6 Flags really didn't want anyone wandering around under the ride, they'd make sure no one could get under there.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #216
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Unfortunately, it isn't against the law to be stupid. I'm sure the family lawyer will say that - given the ride had to potential to kill someone if they got underneath of it - the park should have done more to prevent people getting near it than just a climbable fence with a few signs.

In fact, the more I think about it, 6 Flags certainly *should* have done more to restrict access to the part of the ride that's kill-able. Yes, they should take into account that there are stupid people at their park as well as kids who don't obey signs. Seriously, if 6 Flags really didn't want anyone wandering around under the ride, they'd make sure no one could get under there.

Absolutely.The fences should have been electrified. There definitely needed to be a shark filled moat. Only then, should the visitors have encountered the guard dogs after which they could navigate the mine field. After that, a zone filled with sleeping gas and then a open area with snipers armed with tasers.

Of course, they'd need to have F16's sorties in case someone tried to parachute in to the killing zone and the entire zone would have to have 6 foot thick floors to prevent anyone from tunneling into it.

Anything less just simply is inviting people to ignore the posted warnings and do something stupid.

Oh, and they should tag every customer with a GPS locator so they can track them no matter where they go. No matter the expense, they must do the impossible and idiot proof their rides.

Really, they just shouldn't have rides. You can never tell what the stupid are going to come up with.

Amusement Parks are the lottery of the 2000's.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:16 PM   #217
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

gimme a break.

Drive past any 50,000 Volt transformer and it's only protected by a fence and warning signs.

Last edited by Lathum : 06-29-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #218
MJ4H
Coordinator

dude having an electric fence right next to a moat has to be some sort of safety hazard
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:21 PM   #219
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
dude having an electric fence right next to a moat has to be some sort of safety hazard

True, we'll swap the mine field with the moat then. That'd make it safe.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:26 PM   #220
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post

its fine as long as you don't whiz on it
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:30 PM   #221
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Am I wrong for thinking that a ride traveling that fast should be enough of a warning itself to stay away from it? The fence pretty clearly marks the area of danger so anyone climbing the fence should be on their own.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #222
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Am I wrong for thinking that a ride traveling that fast should be enough of a warning itself to stay away from it? The fence pretty clearly marks the area of danger so anyone climbing the fence should be on their own.

2 fences.

and warning signs.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #223
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
2 fences.

and warning signs.

Way more than should be necessary. The extra warnings are fine if the park wants to be extra cautious, but the first fence should be sufficient...if people in this country weren't stupid and overly-litigious.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #224
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
2 fences.

and warning signs.

I'm still pushing for the shark filled moat though.

At least we can get that. Hell, put a platform over it and sell tickets. I'd pay.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:23 PM   #225
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
Absolutely.The fences should have been electrified. There definitely needed to be a shark filled moat. Only then, should the visitors have encountered the guard dogs after which they could navigate the mine field. After that, a zone filled with sleeping gas and then a open area with snipers armed with tasers.

Of course, they'd need to have F16's sorties in case someone tried to parachute in to the killing zone and the entire zone would have to have 6 foot thick floors to prevent anyone from tunneling into it.

Anything less just simply is inviting people to ignore the posted warnings and do something stupid.

Oh, and they should tag every customer with a GPS locator so they can track them no matter where they go. No matter the expense, they must do the impossible and idiot proof their rides.

Really, they just shouldn't have rides. You can never tell what the stupid are going to come up with.

Amusement Parks are the lottery of the 2000's.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:24 PM   #226
larrymcg421
Head Coach

You know, as I've said, Six Flags is not at fault here, and they have every reason to believe that the warning signs that were in place and common sense should be enough to deter people. However, I like to ride the Batman ride, and I'd rather not kick someone in the head. I won't feel any better just because it was a stupid person, and neither will my foot. I don't see how it could hurt to make it more difficult to get to that area.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:28 PM   #227
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I don't see how it could hurt to make it more difficult to get to that area.

realisticly what more do you think they should do?
Old 06-29-2008, 09:59 PM   #228
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:

Deep water filled trench

filled with

large, finned fish

maybe.

Just a thought.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:02 PM   #229
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

If the impact was hard enough to take off his head what happened to the rider's foot? Or was it the ride that hit him in the head. I have to agree with the poster above who said the rest of that ride must of really sucked. So would waiting in line for about an hour to be in the first car, being told the ride is being shut down, getting pissing off about it, and then finding out some asshole lost his head.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:09 PM   #230
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Off the top of my head, build a higher, non/less-climbable fence.

I can see 3 of them from my deck:
  • a 12-foot high board-on-board fence between my property and the street.
  • a 10-foot high chain-link fence with barbed-wire circling the retention pond down the road.
  • a 20-foot high concrete wall that blocks off the sound between the highway and the condo's next to them.

So it's not unheard of, nor impossible. Too expensive? Yep.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:11 PM   #231
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Investigating reports that deceased entered area though an open gate.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #232
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
[*]a 10-foot high chain-link fence with barbed-wire circling the retention pond down the road.

Is it filled with sharks?
Old 06-29-2008, 10:30 PM   #233
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Off the top of my head, build a higher, non/less-climbable fence.

I can see 3 of them from my deck:
  • a 12-foot high board-on-board fence between my property and the street.
  • a 10-foot high chain-link fence with barbed-wire circling the retention pond down the road.
  • a 20-foot high concrete wall that blocks off the sound between the highway and the condo's next to them.

So, you live in a prison?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:43 PM   #234
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I agree they could have put barbed wire on the top but be real, the kids were gonna jump the fence no matter how high, and like I said earlier, jumping the fence isn't the stupid thing, jumping at a moving roller coaster is why he gets the darwin award.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:43 PM   #235
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:

Which brings us to the next question. Are people happy to have a $5/$10 hike on ticket prices, so the park can build unclimable walls around every single ride to prevent stupid people killing themselves?

If the gate was really left open, ugh. That's not good and the park are going to pay for that.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:46 PM   #236
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Which brings us to the next question. Are people happy to have a $5/$10 hike on ticket prices, so the park can build unclimable walls around every single ride to prevent stupid people killing themselves?

Not for unclimbable walls but I know what I'd pay the extra money for.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:47 PM   #237
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Not for unclimbable walls but I know what I'd pay the extra money for.

handjobs?
Old 06-29-2008, 10:48 PM   #238
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Is it filled with sharks?
Hell if I know..I ripped a hole in my pants and scratched my ass up something awful last time I tried to climb it.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:51 PM   #239
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
handjobs?
Well, not at an amusement park but good answer.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:33 PM   #240
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

It wouldn't have to be every single ride. The nature of the Batman ride (hanging below the track) is how these incidents happened. If the kid climbed the fence for the Mindbender or Scream Machine for example, then he wouldn't be dead right now.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:45 PM   #241
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
It wouldn't have to be every single ride. The nature of the Batman ride (hanging below the track) is how these incidents happened. .

no.

these incidents happen because stupid kids do stupid things
Old 06-30-2008, 12:09 AM   #242
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
no.

these incidents happen because stupid kids do stupid things

Okay, I've posted at least 3 or 4 times in here already that the kid was stupid and the park was not at fault. However, my point in that last post was that the stupid kid would not have been decapitated by other rides. Just because the park isn't at fault doesn't mean they shouldn't still try to do something to try and prevent further incidents from happening. Alot of stupid people go to Six Flags.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:15 AM   #243
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Okay, I've posted at least 3 or 4 times in here already that the kid was stupid and the park was not at fault. However, my point in that last post was that the stupid kid would not have been decapitated by other rides. Just because the park isn't at fault doesn't mean they shouldn't still try to do something to try and prevent further incidents from happening. Alot of stupid people go to Six Flags.

why should the park be responsible for protecting people against themselves?
Old 06-30-2008, 12:18 AM   #244
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
why should the park be responsible for protecting people against themselves?

So you don't think they should have a fence up at all?

Old 06-30-2008, 12:22 AM   #245
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
So you don't think they should have a fence up at all?

I never said that but I don't think they need a fortess erected.

and to be honest the kid would have been killed regardless of the fence because he was dumb enough to leap into a moving roller coaster.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:37 AM   #246
molson
General Manager

With any accident, someone could have done "a little more" to prevent it. That's not negligence.

This kid probably would have killed a family or something driving drunk or racing in a year or two. Good riddance.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:48 AM   #247
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
With any accident, someone could have done "a little more" to prevent it. That's not negligence.

Who is arguing that the park is negligent?

Old 06-30-2008, 02:44 AM   #248
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
This kid probably would have killed a family or something driving drunk or racing in a year or two. Good riddance.

I don't even know where to start with this comment, and I don't feel like getting into another shit storm, so I'll just say that you must be a fortune teller, and a perfect person.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:44 AM   #249
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Uh yeah. Batman claims another. These rides are awesome.

I wonder if the people riding were like "wow, cool special effects".
Old 06-30-2008, 08:53 AM   #250
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Clearly the Batman ride needs to move slower. The speed of Mr. Toads Wild Ride should work.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote