Old 04-24-2016, 04:13 PM   #152
Atocep
Coordinator

Bryce Harper is hitting .323 despite a .239 BABIP
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:57 AM   #153
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

So excited about the series win over the Orioles. Never would have thought that the Royals pitchers would slow down that offense so well in two out of the three games. Pretty impressive.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #154
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

There are a few instances of that so far. Here are my favorites:

1 - What you put. Bryce is scary this year. Very scary.

2 - Nolan Arenado, Rockies. His triple slash is 275/359/623 right now. He's more than doubled his walk rate, he's increased his fly ball %, he's swinging at better pitches and hitting the ball harder than ever before (his hard his rate is 11% higher than last year) and yet is BABIP is .211. He's going to be a monster this year. An absolute monster.

3 - Cubs hitters. You have one guy who is getting lucky right now and who will return to Earth. (Fowler) Then you have Rizzo (122 BABIP), Bryant (310 BABIP which is lower than it's been in his entire professional career), Russell (239 BABIP), Soler (211 BABIP), Zobrist (278 BABIP despite hitting the ball with more authority than last year)

I mean, seriously, this is scary. The Cubs can't stop scoring runs and they aren't playing anywhere near where they can right now. (Obviously, some of the pitching will return to earth as well, I'm only talking offense here) they've scored 119 runs and they are gonna get better. Yikes.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:22 AM   #155
Logan
Head Coach

Neil Walker with 8 HRs already is another anomaly but I'll take it.

Mets are hitting a ton of HRs, but I hope it's because of bad pitching they're facing and not that the offense will be all boom/bust this year. They were leading baseball in % of runs driven in by HRs before yesterday's game and then all 5 last night came that way.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:40 PM   #156
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
There are a few instances of that so far. Here are my favorites:

1 - What you put. Bryce is scary this year. Very scary.

2 - Nolan Arenado, Rockies. His triple slash is 275/359/623 right now. He's more than doubled his walk rate, he's increased his fly ball %, he's swinging at better pitches and hitting the ball harder than ever before (his hard his rate is 11% higher than last year) and yet is BABIP is .211. He's going to be a monster this year. An absolute monster.

3 - Cubs hitters. You have one guy who is getting lucky right now and who will return to Earth. (Fowler) Then you have Rizzo (122 BABIP), Bryant (310 BABIP which is lower than it's been in his entire professional career), Russell (239 BABIP), Soler (211 BABIP), Zobrist (278 BABIP despite hitting the ball with more authority than last year)

I mean, seriously, this is scary. The Cubs can't stop scoring runs and they aren't playing anywhere near where they can right now. (Obviously, some of the pitching will return to earth as well, I'm only talking offense here) they've scored 119 runs and they are gonna get better. Yikes.

I'll also add Atlanta's team batting line of .227/.300/.283
Old 04-26-2016, 11:14 PM   #157
MrBug708
Head Coach

Kershaw gave up a three run HR to stanton. The first he's allowed in 844 innings. That's insane
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:14 AM   #158
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Kershaw gave up a three run HR to stanton. The first he's allowed in 844 innings. That's insane

You mean the first 3 run HR, right?

This isn't very shocking to me actually. hell, how many times have two guys even got on base against him the past few seasons? Then how many times when that has happened has there been a guy as good as Stanton hitting against an amped up Kershaw?

He's an amazing pitcher
Old 04-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #159
Easy Mac

Quote:
I'll also add Atlanta's team batting line of .227/.300/.283

Yes, except I can imagine the Braves hitting getting worse.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:31 AM   #160
Easy Mac

They also haven't hit a home run in 15 games.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #161
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Yes, except I can imagine the Braves hitting getting worse.

Yeah, that's not at all hard to envision.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:44 PM   #162
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Mariners (and their TV network Root Sports NW) sold. The previous majority ownership stake - Nintendo U.S.A., managed by Howard Lincoln - sold to the minority ownership, primarily John Stanton. Stanton founded Western Wireless, was the CEO of VoiceStream Wireless and currently Chairman of Clearwire as well as a former minority owner of the Sonics (he voted against the sale to Clay Bennett).

Valuation was set at $1.4B.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #163
Logan
Head Coach

Nice. Hope the Wilpons see that number and cash out.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:48 AM   #164
Easy Mac

The Braves hit a home run. Our long regional nightmare is over.

The bigger question is, which will be higher: Braves home runs or Braves wins?

They're currently tied at 4 each.

Edit:

Actually, that would be an interesting trivia question I don't have the answer for.

What was the last team to have more wins than home runs in a season. I tried using baseball reference, but couldn't search by wins and home runs. If it isn't the Cardinals in the 80s, I'd have to assume it would be the deadball era.

Last edited by Easy Mac : 04-28-2016 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:13 AM   #165
TroyF
Coordinator

The 1986 Cardinals had 58 HR and 79 wins.

The 1988 Cardinals hit 71 HR and had 76 wins

The 1989 Cardinals had 73 HR and 86 wins

They did it again in '91

I haven't seen a team after that do it, though there were a few close calls.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:20 AM   #166
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
The 1986 Cardinals had 58 HR and 79 wins.

The 1988 Cardinals hit 71 HR and had 76 wins

The 1989 Cardinals had 73 HR and 86 wins

They did it again in '91

I haven't seen a team after that do it, though there were a few close calls.

McGwire and Pujols had to come around and ruin everything.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:16 AM   #167
Ramzavail
College Starter

first teams I thought of was the 80 Royals (they did not do it) and Astros (they did it ) and the 88 Dodgers (they did not do it)

Alot of teams in the 70s did it. Royals, Padres, Astros, Dodgers.

Good question though.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:21 PM   #168
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

interesting article

The Braves Play Taxpayers Better Than They Play Baseball
Old 04-29-2016, 12:32 AM   #169
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

OOPS

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 04-29-2016 at 12:54 AM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:46 AM   #170
Suicane75
Coordinator

I don't get it.

I think I'm going to throw down a few bucks on the Phillies to win the NL East. $20 nets over a grand. It's not the farthest fetched idea.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:21 AM   #171
Ramzavail
College Starter

Dee Gordon is a douche. I don't know why, but this suspension really pissed me off (more than the others). Maybe its because I have him in a few fantasy leagues or that I like his 80s type style of play or that I really bought into his awesome season last year or that I heard him talking about being so thankful that he is playing baseball on Jackie Robinson day. But goddamn what a shitbag.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:26 AM   #172
MrBug708
Head Coach

Also this connection

Old 04-29-2016, 09:17 PM   #173
rowech
Pro Starter

Adam Conley with a no hitter through seven. Milwaukee turned a triple play earlier in the game. Never happened in the same game. Six outs to go.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:31 PM   #174
lungs
Pro Rookie

Mattingly pulls him with 116 pitches
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:32 PM   #175
Suicane75
Coordinator

Am I the only one for whom ESPN's front page scoreboard scroll, for MLB in this instance, does default to having all the games on there? I can't imagine why it's like that.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:35 PM   #176
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Mattingly pulls him with 116 pitches

I would be friggin livid.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:37 PM   #177
lungs
Pro Rookie

Hmm that maybe should have been a hit
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:40 PM   #178
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

from ESPN

Red Sox announce that third baseman Pablo Sandoval will undergo surgery on his left shoulder. The procedure will be performed in the coming days by Dr. James Andrews. Sandoval is expected to miss the rest of the season.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:25 PM   #179
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

HUGE comeback win in the 9th. Been a rough week on the offensive end, but that's a big win.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:50 PM   #180
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
from ESPN

Red Sox announce that third baseman Pablo Sandoval will undergo surgery on his left shoulder. The procedure will be performed in the coming days by Dr. James Andrews. Sandoval is expected to miss the rest of the season.

They could kill 2 birds with 1 stone and have him walk from Boston to Birmingham.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:47 AM   #181
Butter
Coordinator

Reds just set a record as their bullpen gave up a run in their 21st straight game last night.

Congrats, guys!

Reds lineup is actually more solid than many thought, but the bullpen is much worse than expected. Doesn't help that none of the starters seem able to get back on the healthy track. Homer Bailey and DeSclafani both had setbacks in rehab, Raisel Iglesias just went on the DL as John Lamb came back last night. The pitching health has made it hard to really get a read on where this pitching staff is.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:32 AM   #182
Easy Mac

Quote:

That seemed to resolve itself. He's hitting .256 with a .230 BABIP. Mike Trout seems to have retaken the crown for the moment.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:25 PM   #183
Logan
Head Coach

Lucas Duda just hit his 2nd HR of the game for the Mets, the 4th of the game. They have now officially hit more in the series (7) than Atlanta has on the season (6).
Old 05-04-2016, 06:48 PM   #184
hoopsguy
General Manager

Cubs/Nats setting up to be a fun early-season 4 game set. I'll be heading out to the ballpark Friday afternoon to take in the 2nd game.

I would say more nice things about the Cubs' start, but I don't want to inadvertently jinx them.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:24 PM   #185
hoopsguy
General Manager

Fine, since other people are going to write this kind of thing ...
The Cubs’ Start Is Even More Dominant Than It Seems | FiveThirtyEight

That said, Daniel Murphy is coming to town for four games and is hitting .398 on the season. Be afraid, Chicago.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:38 PM   #186
Suicane75
Coordinator

I have not been watching a lot of baseball this year, what's the rule on replay. Cardinals just challenged a ball hit down the 3rd base line that was called foul. They took like 10 minutes to review it and then overturned it and gave the guy a double. Is there a limit on the number challenges teams are allowed? This seems like a slippery slope.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:47 AM   #187
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Cubs/Nats setting up to be a fun early-season 4 game set. I'll be heading out to the ballpark Friday afternoon to take in the 2nd game.

I would say more nice things about the Cubs' start, but I don't want to inadvertently jinx them.

I'll be going on Friday as well for my first game this season. The weather looks like it's going to be beautiful and I can find worse ways to spend an afternoon watching Cubs baseball and Bryce Harper.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:57 AM   #188
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I have not been watching a lot of baseball this year, what's the rule on replay. Cardinals just challenged a ball hit down the 3rd base line that was called foul. They took like 10 minutes to review it and then overturned it and gave the guy a double. Is there a limit on the number challenges teams are allowed? This seems like a slippery slope.

You can basically lose 1 challenge and you are out. Only certain things can be challenged.

Ground-rule doubles
Fan interference calls
Boundary calls (managers may not, however, challenge home run or potential home run calls)
Force plays at all bases, except whether a middle infielder touched second base during the attempt to "turn" a double play
Tag plays on the base paths—whether a runner was tagged or whether the runner touched a base (an appeal is still required ahead of the latter)
Fair/foul calls on balls hit into the outfield
Catch/trap calls on balls hit into the outfield
Time plays (whether or not a run scored prior to the third out)
Whether a runner passed a preceding runner
Scorekeeping issues, including the count, number of outs, score or substitutions

Two years in and it is a far better system than the NFL. Yes, it slows down the game but at least they use common sense to get the calls right. The NFL will use the replay loopholes to get around changing an obvious error.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 05-05-2016 at 11:00 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:23 AM   #189
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Interesting times in San Francisco - Cain and Peavey have been absolutely awful at the bottom of the rotation, and all of the high-level prospects have been struggling in the minors as well. Meanwhile, Tim Lincecum is holding his showcase tomorrow.

I still think it's a long shot that he ends up a Giant, but it is much, much more likely than it was a month ago.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:13 PM   #190
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Reds just set a record as their bullpen gave up a run in their 21st straight game last night.

Congrats, guys!

Reds lineup is actually more solid than many thought, but the bullpen is much worse than expected. Doesn't help that none of the starters seem able to get back on the healthy track. Homer Bailey and DeSclafani both had setbacks in rehab, Raisel Iglesias just went on the DL as John Lamb came back last night. The pitching health has made it hard to really get a read on where this pitching staff is.

Let's make that 23 straight.

They also have only one save in 28 games (11 wins).
Old 05-06-2016, 09:45 AM   #191
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Garrett Richards of the Angels is gonna need Tommy John surgery.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #192
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Garrett Richards of the Angels is gonna need Tommy John surgery.

Yup. My Angels were already really pushing it to try to contend this year. That oughta kill that hope off for good.

Schoenfeld has a stupid piece up about how the Angels should consider trading Trout. Did I mention that was stupid? Hopefully we get a good draft pick next year.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:20 PM   #193
Ramzavail
College Starter

I read it more as tongue and cheek. At least CJ Wilson comes off the books next year.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:58 PM   #194
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I want Yu Darvish to be back.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:06 PM   #195
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I want Yu Darvish to be back.

+1

I think it will be sooner rather than later.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #196
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

He is so special, it feels like we have been cheated for a year, from seeing something really unique.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:16 PM   #197
MrBug708
Head Coach

Clayton Kershaw is now 80-0 when the Dodgers get him 4 runs. That is absurd.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:22 PM   #198
Atocep
Coordinator

So Bartolo Colon homered

https://streamable.com/txu0

Last edited by Atocep : 05-07-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:04 AM   #199
PilotMan
Head Coach

Bartolo Colon homering is the greatest thing in baseball this year. The greatest. Should be play of the year, no reason to even look further.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:24 AM   #200
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

He looked seriously winded in the final ninety feet.