Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-19-2011, 06:44 PM   #151
RainMaker
General Manager

It's more like telling your wife that you're taking money out of the account to buy a ring. But not telling her the ring is for your mistress and not for her.

We are spending a lot of money to help business interests in the U.S. (the companies that bought our government) but telling taxpayers that we are really there because we care about these people and their freedom. Just another dishonest use of our tax dollars to help prop up certain well-connected businesses. I can't wait till we hear these same people cry about how we need more free markets and how government involvement in business is bad.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-19-2011 at 06:46 PM.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #152
SteveMax58
College Starter

I DEFINITELY do not think it would be in your interest to tell your wife in that situation.

Well...is it just business or is it the taxpayer's way of life as well? I mean, look at the amount of speculation in oil prices already starting. I think we're collectively getting closer to realizing that our way of life isn't sustainable within reason any more...I just hope we actually do something about it or else this could be the start of the "Resource Wars".
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #153
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
My point is that we are leading this effort, shouldering the burden. Who knows where it goes from here.

Well five Ships involved so far, I would hope that is as far as it goes. As far as who isleading the effort, thought the French seem to be in the catbird seat, who knows what is going on behind the scenes. I am not so jaded as to think we are always in the lead, though not so naive to think it is not possible. Like you said, we will see where it goes form here.
BYU 14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #154
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
This has nothing to do with genocide, mercenaries, or the people in the country. I just wish we'd stop hiding behind those things and would just tell people the real intentions.

Huh?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #155
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
I DEFINITELY do not think it would be in your interest to tell your wife in that situation.

Well...is it just business or is it the taxpayer's way of life as well? I mean, look at the amount of speculation in oil prices already starting. I think we're collectively getting closer to realizing that our way of life isn't sustainable within reason any more...I just hope we actually do something about it or else this could be the start of the "Resource Wars".
If we cared about resource wars, we'd be investing in alternative energy much more heavily. But we don't care about that, we just care about the companies who pay the biggest bucks to our politicians. That happens to be the oil companies.

It's using our military and our tax dollars as an arm of their business to get what they want.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:41 PM   #156
Thomkal
Head Coach

sorry wrong spot

Last edited by Thomkal : 03-19-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #157
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Second attack on wave is British missiles and fighter jets. Lybian tv says it was mostly on hospitals and schools. The wounded were women, children and religous clerics. Because, as you know, that is the primary targets of any military campaign.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 03-19-2011 at 08:51 PM.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #158
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Second attack on wave is British missiles and fighter jets. Lybian tv says it was mostly on hospitals and schools. The wounded were women, children and religous clerics. Because, as you know, that is the primary targets of any military campaign.

That and the puppy stores and orphanages

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-19-2011 at 09:00 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #159
stevew
Hall Of Famer

NAPA know how to make a horrible commercial.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #160
GrantDawg

The UAE will be sending 24 jets (Mirage 2000-9's and F-16's) and Qatar will be sending 4-6 Mirage 2000-5's in the next couple of days. Spain has sent 4 jets and three ships.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #161
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
If we cared about resource wars, we'd be investing in alternative energy much more heavily. But we don't care about that, we just care about the companies who pay the biggest bucks to our politicians. That happens to be the oil companies.

It's using our military and our tax dollars as an arm of their business to get what they want.

Alternative energy isn't going to happen overnight.

Last edited by Galaxy : 03-19-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #162
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
NAPA know how to make a horrible commercial.

The singing thing?

If so, we've been praising that one for several days around here because it's quite a bit better than their previous efforts with the same theme.

That said, I basically don't buy auto parts so making me happy doesn't particularly help them much.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:35 PM   #163
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Alternative energy isn't going to happen overnight.
It's a tired excuse. We're capable of flying a computer to Mars, have it land safely, power itself, and report back with images and data. Yet we can't seem to produce an affordable car that can get 50MPG. We can't find a way to power our cities without using fossil fuels. If even half the money we spent on these wars were put toward advancing our own resources, we wouldn't have to bow down to these losers and can let them fight each other back into the dark ages. And of course our economy wouldn't be reliant on how some guy interprets the Quran.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-19-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:59 PM   #164
Warhammer
Pro Starter

The problem with the combustion engine is that the combustion engine is about as efficient as we can make it. The only way we can make more efficient cars is to reduce the amount of weight in them and let's face it, people want their cup holders.

We have the means to power cities without using fossil fuels, but unfortunately, due to events in Japan, those efforts will be set back years.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:20 AM   #165
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Yet we can't seem to produce an affordable car that can get 50MPG.

There are plenty of affordable cars in Europe that can make 50mpg (US), and not just crappy superminis. The technology is there, but obviously there is not the desire from the car buying public in the US.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:11 AM   #166
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I'm very, very pleased to see everyone sending their own hardware to join in on the coalition.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:13 AM   #167
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
The problem with the combustion engine is that the combustion engine is about as efficient as we can make it. The only way we can make more efficient cars is to reduce the amount of weight in them and let's face it, people want their cup holders.

We have the means to power cities without using fossil fuels, but unfortunately, due to events in Japan, those efforts will be set back years.

It's not just that....would you want to be driving one of those things and be in an accident with a truck? A semi? Until everyone has one, they simply aren't safe.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:30 AM   #168
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

There are plenty of options for more gas mileage without driving smart cars. We lag behind Europe not because of consumer choice, but because the auto manufacturers make a bigger profit margin on larger vehicles.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:01 AM   #169
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
There are plenty of options for more gas mileage without driving smart cars. We lag behind Europe not because of consumer choice, but because the auto manufacturers make a bigger profit margin on larger vehicles.

I think the main reason you lag behind Europe is the price of gasoline. Yesterday I filled up my car at $8 per US gallon. If the US prices were that high, there would be huge demand for smaller engines, and more efficient diesel engines would make up the majority of new car sales.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #170
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
I think the main reason you lag behind Europe is the price of gasoline. Yesterday I filled up my car at $8 per US gallon. If the US prices were that high, there would be huge demand for smaller engines, and more efficient diesel engines would make up the majority of new car sales.

diesel is more expensive than nl/premium/ OR super
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #171
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
diesel is more expensive than nl/premium/ OR super

But they get 50+ miles to the gallon. How much more expensive is it?

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #172
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Consumers don't really have a choice when gas is $9 a gallon.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #173
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
But they get 50+ miles to the gallon. How much more expensive is it?

Like 30 cents more a gallon, I think. I used to remember a day when it was cheaper, don't know if that's a correct memory or not.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #174
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I had a diesel VW Rabbit back in the mid-to-late 80s that got better gas milage than most of the hybrids out right now. 32MPG on a hybrid, what a joke.

Can't wait for the Volt to come down to a more reasonable price. And my electricity is generated by a nuke plant, so no fossil fuels at all...
Old 03-20-2011, 08:35 AM   #175
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I know people with VW Golf Diesels, they get crazy good mileage without sacrificing performance, still fun rides.

Last edited by jeff061 : 03-20-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:40 AM   #176
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

depends, right now we are at

61/71/81/99

so it's 38 more than no lead, diesel price doesn't change often as we don't sell a lot of it.

yes, it may be cheaper in the long run due to gas mileage but in the consumer's mind they don't want to pay the higher price (this is based off of roughly 100 customers a day who come in and try to scam their wash gas rebate which in reality, is like 30 cents)
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #177
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Like 30 cents more a gallon, I think. I used to remember a day when it was cheaper, don't know if that's a correct memory or not.

It is about the same price difference in the UK, yet diesels still sell far more over here.

I have a two litre unleaded BMW. A work colleague has the same car with a 3 litre diesel engine. I get just over 300 miles from a tank, he gets close to 500 miles, and an extra 70bhp to play with.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #178
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I had a diesel VW Rabbit back in the mid-to-late 80s that got better gas milage than most of the hybrids out right now. 32MPG on a hybrid, what a joke.

Can't wait for the Volt to come down to a more reasonable price. And my electricity is generated by a nuke plant, so no fossil fuels at all...
My first car was a 1986 Mercury Topaz and it has better gas mileage than most of the fuel efficient cars we see today. So in nearly 30 years, we have seen little to no improvements in the cars being sold. On the other hand, the giant Tandy 1000 computer we had in our living room has turned into a tiny device I can put in my pocket, connect to anywhere in the world in seconds, and is millions of times more powerful.

The "it takes time" or "it's hard" shit is old. Invest in technology and you can make it happen. Invest in regulations that forces more fuel efficiency and it happens. Something isn't right when I got better MPG on an old beater made in 1986 than on the best compact cars on the market today.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #179
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Well I think the performance gains have been in speed and power at the detriment to MPG. It's what the consumer in the states has wanted, likely due to the comparatively cheaper gas prices.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #180
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Consumers don't really have a choice when gas is $9 a gallon.
Having gas prices go up will probably be the best thing to happen to this country long term. It's sort of sad that for all the money we pump into our military, all the money we've spent to keep our financial system afloat, a terrorist in Libya and a religuous monarch in Saudi Arabia can destroy our economy overnight.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:49 AM   #181
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Well I think the performance gains have been in speed and power at the detriment to MPG. It's what the consumer in the states has wanted, likely due to the comparatively cheaper gas prices.
If it's what consumers have wanted, car companies wouldn't be losing money left and right. If one of these companies came out with an affordable, nice-looking car that could get 75mpg, they wouldn't be able to make them fast enough.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:52 AM   #182
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Why Gas Is So Expensive Today (Hint: It’s Not Libya) - Chris Peterson

I read this the other day. Enlightening for somebody who knows next to nothing on how this stuff works.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:52 AM   #183
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If it's what consumers have wanted, car companies wouldn't be losing money left and right. If one of these companies came out with an affordable, nice-looking car that could get 75mpg, they wouldn't be able to make them fast enough.

Yes, but that demand is a relatively new development.

Last edited by jeff061 : 03-20-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:01 AM   #184
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Why Gas Is So Expensive Today (Hint: It’s Not Libya) - Chris Peterson

I read this the other day. Enlightening for somebody who knows next to nothing on how this stuff works.
While Wall Street is making the prices high, it's still the events over there that is causing people to run the price up.

He's basically saying "tickets for the Super Bowl aren't expensive, it's those ticket brokers that are causing it to appear that way".
Old 03-20-2011, 09:07 AM   #185
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Having gas prices go up will probably be the best thing to happen to this country long term. It's sort of sad that for all the money we pump into our military, all the money we've spent to keep our financial system afloat, a terrorist in Libya and a religuous monarch in Saudi Arabia can destroy our economy overnight.

Yes...but it depends on why those gas prices go up. If it went up right now $1/gal from taxation which is used to fund a real energy initiative then its a good thing. Add $1/gal for next 5 years (and make it public knowledge) and we'll see investment. But, without getting into a big/small government debate, let's just say that if the tax does not have a defined & transparent purpose...and goes to the general government slush fund to pay for debatable "wasteful" causes... it will cause some major political backlash (and I worry about rioting & some level of despotism breaking out in some areas if done too quickly).

Sitting around & waiting for it to go up organically will (obviously) not have the same effect & we'll be completely crippled by that point to act without some form of debt easing or aid (as a nation). Being generally in favor of smaller government, it's a tough thing to say, but this is something government SHOULD be there to do...which is to foresee sustainability issues & act.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #186
Ryan S
Quarterback

Sounds like the head of the Arab League is condemning the air strikes, despite the fact that they requested the no fly zone.

I reckon it is time to say F*** it and let the arabs kill each other.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #187
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
I reckon it is time to say F*** it and let the arabs kill each other.

We would if they didn't have any oil and the resultant "winner" didn't control it all.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #188
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

So the Volt uses electricity for the first 25-50 miles and then switches to gasoline only when the battery depletes...what if the battery doesn't deplete very often? Does the gasoline's life expectancy become an issue?
Old 03-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #189
Dutch
"Dutch"

From Drudge....

Quote:
MARCH 19, 2011
OBAMA: 'Today we are part of a broad coalition. We are answering the calls of a threatened people. And we are acting in the interests of the United States and the world'...

MARCH 19, 2003
BUSH: 'American and coalition forces are in the early stages of military operations to disarm Iraq, to free its people and to defend the world from grave danger'...
Old 03-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #190
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

As long as he doesn't start dropping "Evil Doer" I don't much care.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #191
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
As long as he doesn't start dropping "Evil Doer" I don't much care.

I wouldn't worry about that.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #192
rowech
Pro Starter

I think a big difference between Libya and Iraq is that a revolution has already started on it's own. It becomes about supporting that and not trying to lead one.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #193
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I think a big difference between Libya and Iraq is that a revolution has already started on it's own. It becomes about supporting that and not trying to lead one.

Maybe you missed the part where we initated a no-fly-zone over Iraq following a massive 1991 Shia uprising that was crushed without mercy by Saddam Hussein? The Iraqi no-fly-zone was put into effect to stop the bleeding and was there indefinately until we finally went back in and removed the dictator.

Welcome to UN standard operating procedure.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #194
GrantDawg

BTW, one day of bombing, the Arab league is already backing out saying "oh, you mean you'd actually have to shoot something." Russia is condemning our bombing of hospitals, just showing propaganda will be believed by those who want to believe it. It has taken one day, only hitting military targets and an armoured column outside of the main rebel city, and it already looks like condemnation is going to flow heavy.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #195
GrantDawg

(Continuing my blog of the war for Lybia that no one might be reading)

The Arab league has now back off their earlier criticism (the money finally hit the right pockets) and they are back in support. The military leaders of Lybia just went on their national TV and proclaimed a cease-fire for all of their troups, which means probably absolutely nothing.

Interestingly, the armour column moving toward Bengahzi seems to have been destroyed by the French in todays actions, but tanks rolled right in to Misurata and moved all the way into the center of town. It is possible that Allied forces weren't willing to start taking out low-level targets in Western Lybia until they were sure the anti-air abilities were completely crippled, but I can't help but think that those might have been scuttled by another political inconvience. The US seems to not be involved in those kinds of activity, and it looks like each country is taking control of certain zones (French to the East, British to the West, etc.). The British fighter/bombers are not currently forward deployed and are having to fly all the way from Norfolk, because Cyprus is refusing to allow them to use their base there for attack operations. They are going to eventually move to Italy, but it might have prevented them from tank-busting missions today.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 03-20-2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Sorry, Cyprus, not Sardinia
Old 03-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #196
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
We would if they didn't have any oil and the resultant "winner" didn't control it all.

Back when I was a middle-schooler, when two guys got into a fight, they had some third party hold their watches, glasses, etc. while they fought so nothing would get broken.

Do you think that we could maybe convince all of the countries in the Middle East to let us hold their oil while they fought? That way none of it would get hurt.

Then, when the winning country asked us for the oil back, we could be all like, "What oil? You asked China to hold your oil; we don't know where it is. Maybe they took it."
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #197
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
...Lybia...troups...armour...
Interesting spelling choices here, are you *from* Georgia?
Old 03-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #198
GrantDawg

Quote:
Interesting spelling choices here, are you *from* Georgia?

Born, bred, raised, not taught to spell, all right here.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 03-20-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #199
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Back when I was a middle-schooler, when two guys got into a fight, they had some third party hold their watches, glasses, etc. while they fought so nothing would get broken.

Do you think that we could maybe convince all of the countries in the Middle East to let us hold their oil while they fought? That way none of it would get hurt.

Then, when the winning country asked us for the oil back, we could be all like, "What oil? You asked China to hold your oil; we don't know where it is. Maybe they took it."

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #200
GrantDawg

Airstrikes in the heart of Tripoli, it seems possible that the main Colonel Daffy compound was hit, but no confirmation. A reporter in Tripoli did say she recieved word that the bodies shown on Lybian tv was from the barracks of some the top goverment military fighters that were hit in last nights strikes. Again, not really confirmed.