Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-12-2009, 01:27 AM   #151
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

All the better. If the Rockies were to win this series, it'd just give the Monforts an excuse to raise ticket prices and spend less on the team as usual.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #152
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I really hope a foul ball strikes the face of the whore who has been waving non-stop every time they show a LH hitter.

I wanted to punch that jackoff guy with the lumberjack hat and rockies jersey on behind the plate. Every pitch he would jump up and down.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #153
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I wanted to punch that jackoff guy with the lumberjack hat and rockies jersey on behind the plate. Every pitch he would jump up and down.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #154
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
All the better. If the Rockies were to win this series, it'd just give the Monforts an excuse to raise ticket prices and spend less on the team as usual.

Point of order.

If it's "as usual," does it matter if they win or not? Do they need the excuse to do it anyway?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #155
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

It's great that the ALCS doesn't even start until Friday. With any luck, by 2012 the World Series will take place on New Year's day, in which case MLB will continue to be clueless as it loses ratings to college football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #156
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Not as much as the people sitting behind him I bet.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #157
RedKingGold
College Starter

Strike zones are horrible for both Rockies and Phillies. These umpires suck.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #158
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Nice 2 out comeback!
Old 10-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #159
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Way to go Fightins!
Old 10-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #160
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Way to go Fightins!

so why is that nickname used for the Phillies? as someone who hasn't followed baseball any this year, it pretty much just sounds ridiculous!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:11 PM   #161
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

To be honest I really dont know. My dad and grandfather called them that. I know some people refer to the Phillies as the Fightin Phils.

Maybe one of the other Phillies fans can answer this.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #162
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

The Fightin' Phils.

I think they been called that for decades in some form or another, haven't they?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #163
Logan
Head Coach

I thought it was an homage to their fans? Murdering Phils came across as too strong.

(ok cheap shot...congrats on the series win guys)
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #164
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
The Fightin' Phils.

I think they been called that for decades in some form or another, haven't they?

Oh ok I've heard that, just never heard it shortened to "fightins"
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #165
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I absolutely wanted to reach through the screen, and punch Elmer Fudd in the face.
Jumping and shaking like a total fool.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:23 PM   #166
RedKingGold
College Starter

Man, I love this Phillies team (and last year's too).
Old 10-12-2009, 10:41 PM   #167
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I like both series. I think each matchup is intriguing in its own way.

ALCS

Can the Yankees beat the Angels, their nemesis of recent years?
Can the Yankees get out from behind a string of postseason failures since the last championship?
Will the Angels have anything left after finally dispatching the Red Sox?
Will ARod continue to play well?

NLCS

Can the Phillies repeat or will the best team in the NL record-wise end up on top?
Can a non-ace filled rotation beat a power heavy Phillies lineup?
Will Manny start to dominate?
Will Lidge still be sane at the end of the series?

My guess is, it will end up being Angels-Phillies, the least interesting of all possible matchups nationally (although it would probably get better national ratings than LA-LA).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:45 PM   #168
RedKingGold
College Starter

I think MLB would want LA-NY just for the markets and the sexy Joe Torre storyline.

For the first time in a few years, though, it seems like MLB can't lose. They're guaranteed not to end up with markets like Houston, Colorado, or Tampa Bay in the World Series and any matchup of the four teams is likely to generate more juice than St. Louis-Detroit.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:03 PM   #169
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
so why is that nickname used for the Phillies? as someone who hasn't followed baseball any this year, it pretty much just sounds ridiculous!

Fightin' Phils have been around for a while as a nickname. Not sure if it goes back farther but I credit HK for shortening it to Fightins'.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:08 PM   #170
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Whatever happens from here out I sure as hell hope the umpires actually get getter (not like they can get any worse).

Lee throws a 4 pitch walk in the bottom of the 8th and 3 of the pitches were in the zone on the corners and the other was just barely off. Later in the inning pitches that are 6-8 inches off the plate are getting called as strikes. I wish I could find a shot from earlier in the game where a pitch that showed on Pitch Trax as right over the middle of the plate got called a ball.

Either Pitch Trax is so far off that it's not even worth showing or the umpires suck beyond belief.

I guess the Detroit/Minnesota play in game was a sign of things to come with the blown hit by pitch call.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #171
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Whatever happens from here out I sure as hell hope the umpires actually get getter (not like they can get any worse).

Lee throws a 4 pitch walk in the bottom of the 8th and 3 of the pitches were in the zone on the corners and the other was just barely off. Later in the inning pitches that are 6-8 inches off the plate are getting called as strikes. I wish I could find a shot from earlier in the game where a pitch that showed on Pitch Trax as right over the middle of the plate got called a ball.

Either Pitch Trax is so far off that it's not even worth showing or the umpires suck beyond belief.

I guess the Detroit/Minnesota play in game was a sign of things to come with the blown hit by pitch call.

This is nothing new, umpires are full of themselves knowing they are the untouchables.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:41 PM   #172
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah. I don't know which schmuck it is that barely registers a ball/strike call. But he needs to get more enthusiastic or needs to GTFO.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:47 PM   #173
stevew
Hall Of Famer

And I really think they need to work on a robotic camera imaging strike zone machine. If the umps can't call a consistent strike zone(and they can't) it needs to be taken out of their hands. Tradition be damned.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:33 AM   #174
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

i agree that the umpriing has been particularly bad this offseason. home plate umpire tonight especially
Old 10-13-2009, 08:57 AM   #175
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Btw, is it too early to call it "The Curse of Manny"?

Anyways, both LCS's look like intriguing matchups.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:35 AM   #176
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

As much as I didn't care for TBS' production, I know I'll be clamoring for it after listening to Joe Buck for 2 minutes.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #177
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
As much as I didn't care for TBS' production, I know I'll be clamoring for it after listening to Joe Buck for 2 minutes.

Yep. I'm "this" close to muting the TV and just having the Phillies broadcast radio call on in the background while watching the game.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:52 PM   #178
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Btw, is it too early to call it "The Curse of Manny"?
Trading away your best hitter is a bad thing? But, but... he was bad for team chemistry!!!

Last edited by BishopMVP : 10-13-2009 at 05:52 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #179
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Would Manny have been on the team this year without the trade? We would have offered arbitration and he would have turned it down.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #180
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Yep. I'm "this" close to muting the TV and just having the Phillies broadcast radio call on in the background while watching the game.

I'd love to do the same thing, except it's never synced up. Although Anderson these days is getting tough to listen to these days with his constant complaining.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:27 PM   #181
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Would Manny have been on the team this year without the trade? We would have offered arbitration and he would have turned it down.

And may have ended up signing with them during Free Agency anyway... it's Manny after all.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:44 PM   #182
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
I'd love to do the same thing, except it's never synced up. Although Anderson these days is getting tough to listen to these days with his constant complaining.
DVR pause for a second or two. Should get them in sync.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:48 PM   #183
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Trading away your best hitter is a bad thing? But, but... he was bad for team chemistry!!!

Well, mostly he was deciding when he would and would not play. People always seem to want to overlook the games he just decided to sit out.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:30 PM   #184
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

He's a crotchety old man isn't he? I forget what game this year but someone hit a home run off of Lidge and LA blurts out "You've gotta be shitting me". There was some dead air after that.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:32 PM   #185
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Well, mostly he was deciding when he would and would not play. People always seem to want to overlook the games he just decided to sit out.
This is an old argument there's little to add to, and it's silly because we lost in the 7th ALCS game last year and against a very good Angels team this year who we were bound not to keep dominating, but he had missed 2 of the last 34 games (back-to-back a week prior) and had played the last 5 after sitting those out. He got on base at a .473 clip, and was 1 shy of Pedroia for the runs scored lead and 4 shy of Youk for the RBI lead for the month of July when he was supposedly acting out.
Quote:
Hopefully the DVR thing works for you. If not, during I think the 2003 or 2004 ALCS series the complaining about Buck/McCarver/Boone around here got so bad the radio stations started broadcasting live. So you could try emailing/calling them if you don't have DVR.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:22 AM   #186
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

You had options for 2009 and 2010 at $20m apiece, I believe. Arbitration wouldn't have entered the picture until after next season.

What wound up happening was he agreed to come to LA in exchange for having those options declined, and then ended up signing a deal at a modest pay increase over the options when no better options materialized in free agency.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:05 AM   #187
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
This is an old argument there's little to add to, and it's silly because we lost in the 7th ALCS game last year and against a very good Angels team this year who we were bound not to keep dominating, but he had missed 2 of the last 34 games (back-to-back a week prior) and had played the last 5 after sitting those out. He got on base at a .473 clip, and was 1 shy of Pedroia for the runs scored lead and 4 shy of Youk for the RBI lead for the month of July when he was supposedly acting out.

I don't disagree he was a really good hitter, and I'm not on the side of "but he wasn't trying". But the only reason he came back and played was they were threatening to suspend him, so he came back to keep his trade value / FA value up. He came to his senses and played to get out of there, but there was a rough stretch there.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:10 AM   #188
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
You had options for 2009 and 2010 at $20m apiece, I believe. Arbitration wouldn't have entered the picture until after next season.

What wound up happening was he agreed to come to LA in exchange for having those options declined, and then ended up signing a deal at a modest pay increase over the options when no better options materialized in free agency.

Well, we can never know, but I would have guessed that the option would have been declined, they would have taken their two picks and moved on.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:29 AM   #189
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
...the complaining about Buck/McCarver/Boone around here got so bad the radio stations started broadcasting live.

Who's worse: Buck or McCarver? Joe Morgan or Jon Miller?

Quote:
Old 10-14-2009, 09:04 AM   #190
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post

I think I'm the only person in the world that likes Tim McCarver. I'm just a fan of the grumpy old-timey catchers. I think the guy knows a ton about baseball. He's like hanging out with your drunk uncle at a wedding. Sure, he's a little confused, gets some names wrong, but he's generally pretty fun in small doses.

Last edited by molson : 10-14-2009 at 09:04 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #191
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post

I remember a game in which Joe Morgan kept going on and on how a player was not being held on base and needed to be watched because he "has speed" and could "easily steal second"...

that player....

Pat Burrell

I have not been able to take anything that he says seriously ever since.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #192
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I guess I spoke too soon about having Buck cause the Phils are on TBS this entire series.

The catch that Ben Francisco made in Game 4 was amazing. I'm stealing this next line from a comment on a blog but it's funny...

I hereby dub that diving catch in the 8th "Rice a Roni"......the Ben Francisco treat.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:41 PM   #193
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
I guess I spoke too soon about having Buck cause the Phils are on TBS this entire series.[/i]

Chip Carey has set the bar pretty low this playoff season. Ron Darling is....just Ron Darling.

Quote:
Old 10-14-2009, 01:44 PM   #194
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I remember a game in which Joe Morgan kept going on and on how a player was not being held on base and needed to be watched because he "has speed" and could "easily steal second"...

that player....

Pat Burrell

I have not been able to take anything that he says seriously ever since.

Jon Miller will start talking about a time when he was 13, climbing a tree, he fell out and his friend's grandmother made them cookies and he felt better after that and perhaps the next batter could possibly eat a cherry pie it might, just might, make him feel better too. Then he will take a catnap during the commercial break between the 1st and 9th innings.

I hate Jon Miller.

Quote:
Old 10-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #195
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Well, we can never know, but I would have guessed that the option would have been declined, they would have taken their two picks and moved on.

Well, by that time, yes.

But it seemed like the CW at the time was that Manny's behavior was because Boston wouldn't commit to declining the options, so he figured he'd make enough of a nuisance of himself to get traded, and then, since he had 5-and-10 rights, he'd be able to get out from under the options by making it a condition of accepting whatever trade.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:38 PM   #196
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

So far the balls and strikes are being called better. Unfortunately there was a blown call on what should have been a balk but at least early signs are much better for the umpires.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #197
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Chooch has been the MVP for the Phils thus far this postseason. He's clutch in the postseason dating back to last year.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #198
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Chooch has been the MVP for the Phils thus far this postseason. He's clutch in the postseason dating back to last year.

Mr. October!!!

Old 10-15-2009, 08:49 PM   #199
RedKingGold
College Starter

Howard's first at-bat against Kershaw was great. Even though it was a fly-out, Howard didn't swing at pitches outside the zone and got a really good swing on the ball. I knew if Howard just had another opportunity or two against Clayton, he'd get him.

And so he did in the Fifth.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 10-15-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #200
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

That's where we needed Cole to step up.